Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM-Camris' Carrion Crown Chapter 1 - The Haunting of Harrowstone

Game Master Camris

I have devoted many of my studies to all manner of evil, that I might know the enemy and inform those better positioned to stand against it.

from the Last Will and Testament of Petros Lorrimor


1 to 50 of 1,042 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Taldor

It was another gray day, a chill bite in the air, as you pull your clothes tighter. Another day closer to say your parting farewells to Professor Lorrimor, a few more hours and you will be there, The Restlands, north of Ravengo to bury your friend. The invitation, when it arrived, shocked you more than you cared to realize, but now with sadness in your heart you continue through the drab monochrome day towards your destination. On the horizon, the sky and the forest meet and merge into a one washed out dark gray. In the monotony of the travel your mind takes you back to the times you had with the professor, happier days. Until this, his death and the nagging questions, the uncertainty. "Why me? Called here to be present at his last will and testament. And his death, so sudden? And his daughter, almost imploring me to attend. Why did the professor choose to retire here, he did nothing without reason?". Yet there are no answers to be found as you trudge forward. The trees by the paths, drip with the mists and moisture, the leaves and their branches seem to have their color washed out of them, pale imitations of the trees of summer. Your head bows, onwards once more.

It is mid afternoon when you arrive at the gates to the graveyard, called the Restlands, for all the souls who should never return to this world, but travel onwards to rest forever. Only a few are buried in this place, only those of special significance, with money and prestige, for everyone else there is Pharesma's pyre. The professor was one such man, learned and revered in the University of Lepidstadt, though retired and finally to be buried in this unsophisticated town, Ravengo.

As you peer through the haze of drizzle, you see the silhouette of a horse and cart, with a large oblong box on the back, surrounded by several people that have arrived already. As you get nearer, a young woman dressed in dark conservative attire with eyes puffed and red, from tears already shed, looks at you. She extends her hand and with a voice stuttering from grief and sobs continues, "Kendra Lorrimor, Petros' daughter." She peers into your face, not quite understanding really why you are here and what strange circumstances you would have known her father. "I am glad some of my father's trusted friends could be here, to see him on his way. You are welcome to the house, once we have ..." she sobs into a handkerchief before a large elderly man in wealthy clothes, puts his chubby short arm around Kendra's shoulders, or as much as he can, "There, there my girl. You keep a stiff upper lip, it'll see you through the worst of it." He barely acknowledges you, although his eyes cannot disguise an enmity, as if blaming you for the re-occurrence of Kendra's tears. He turns to those gathered around, and with a loud distinct voice with a military directness, says, "We shall have to move on soon. Would any be pallbearers for Petros' last journey?" As he asks you look to the coffin, a finely made coffin to take the professors body into the soil. The slim form of Kendra moves towards the open tall rusted gates of the Restlands, the gravel of the path letting a muffled crunching sound as she moves ahead a few yards, stopping and waiting for the coffin to begin it's procession to her father's resting place.

Please introduce yourselves to one another and you may be pallbearers if you so desire.


Male Half-Elf Ranger (skirmisher) 2

Merenso was tired and sleepy after an all night's trek through the woods. His attire was dripping wet and dirty in places. He perceived the surroundings as if through a haze, the feeling was surreal. Has he been in Ravengro before? He couldn't recall it, yet he had a nagging feeling of deja vu. When the woman introduced herself, he looked straight into her face as he stated his name. Yet the moment his eyes wandered away, he forgot what she looked like.
"Merenso Kull, at your service. Please accept my deepest condolences. I had the pleasure and the honor to work with Professor Lorrimor before, and he was a truly remarkable man. I mourn your loss.
Merenso glanced around to see who else was drawn to this grim place by the Professor's equally grim fate. And a motlew crew it was, indeed: three women, one accompanied by a cat, and two men, one of whom was in his golden years.
"And it would seem that the mantle of the pallbearer falls unto me", he said, trying his hardest to conceal the involuntary irritation buildup. "I certainly am up to the task, Ms. Lorrimor, and Mr..." He realized that the chubbby man did not give his name yet.

Silver Crusade

- One of the women is short and has golden hair falling out from the sides of her hood as she keeps it up over her head. The hood hides a little of her features but the few snatches anyone can catch tell that their should be quiet a beauty hiding under the large hood.

Standing alone acting slightly intimidated by her surroundings she carries a spear in one hand and a large sword in her back. The great blade is obviously to large for her to wield properly so it is a wonder as to why she carries it.

At the offer of being a pallbearer she looks to take a step forward but doesn't move. She looks down as if ashamed or perhaps afraid of being turned down.

"My name is Dominnia," she says in a clear sweet voice to Merenso. "I could summon someone to help you if you wish it." she adds not looking up.

"Though he may still be made at me for coming to this after the argument we had about the danger," she thinks to herself.


Human (Tia.) Alchemist L1 | AC15 | hp 10/10 | Percep +5

The small elderly tien man steps forward and bows very deeply to Kendra
"Great Master Lorrimor brought much honor to his clan in this cold and barbarous land. He surely looks down upon you among your ancestors with his blessing."
He then straightens up and walks over to a pallbearers spot, and picks up his end with little apparent effort.
Looking over at Merenso Kull, he looks displeased.
"No, no, you in wrong place! That is donkey position! You shame ancestors! You take right front instead..."
Then he pauses a moment as if thinking.
"Wait, never mind, you fine as is. Apropriate. Yes."


A tall young woman with an unruly mane of dark curls and piercing violet eyes pulls a bright orange scarf embroidered with whorls and buds slightly resembling vines from her mouth and reaches an arm tattooed with a swarm of butterflies out and touches the professor's coffin.

Varisian:

"I am honored to be called to this place where your journey ends, friend."

Eilinica frowns at the elder man with the strange manner of speaking, and after giving him a wide berth, lines up on the left side of the coffin so that she might bear the Professor's weight on the arm she has devoted to proclaiming her faith in Desna.

"If you believe it appropriate, Miss Dominnia," she says to the lady. "Though we three scarcely are weak, the lack of a fourth unbalances, and may make our friend's journey uncomfortable."


Male Dhampir Inquisitor 1

Jevalt walks slowly though the gloom, blood-red eyes flitting from person to person gathered before the graves. He is studying them, taking their measure. He looks up to the sky, letting the rain fall onto his pale face before walking to the gates of the restlands. Fitting. He stares at them contemplaively for some time before moving to the rest of the gathered procession with a sigh. Do I belong in there? He approaches the woman who introduced herself as the Profesor's daughter. He moves to her and looks as if he is about to say something before simply patting her on the shoulder and moving towards the casket. He rubs his black-gloved fingers across the smooth wood. Farewell, old friend. May your journey to the Lady's arms be peaceful. He looks up and says in a resonous voice that is smooth as silk. "I shall be a pallbearer as well," He says definitively.

Silver Crusade

"A forth then, good." Dominnia says looking relieved. "I will walk rear honor guard then."

Taldor

The two men from the cart, used to bring the professor's coffin here, take the final positions to carry him onto his resting place. Kendra takes her place at the front of the somber procession, with the elder man with military bearing. She turns and looks at each of you over her elegant shoulder, he head drops slightly as she nods as says "We are ready, follow me." As she steps slowly off, you pass through the black and rusted wrought iron gates that lead into the Restlands. The unkempt brick wall that surrounds the graveyard fades into the mists. In the melancholy atmosphere the only sound is the rustling of clothes and the crunching of feet as the step along the gravel path. The wet mists seem to want to encompass and surround you, to deepen your sorrow and leave you to your own intensified grief.

Four weary travelers take the weight of the coffin and move on, Domminia follows, slightly apart from a small group of villagers that have come to pay their respects. She walks just in front of a largish, round man with what looks like a red nose and an over-sized bushy brown mustache. His eyes cannot help but give a glimpse into his happy smiling soul, though his outward countenance is as serious as the other mourners. Beside him is a boy, barely a teenager, who looks up to the man and smiles. Just behind them, a woman holding various posies of dried flowers and bottles of sweet smelling substances, speaks in hushed tones to another elderly man dressed in formal yet elaborate attire, who is giving her more attention than perhaps he ought. Though they all acknowledged the outsiders, that's you none have spoken much to you, being caught up in their own memories of the man.

As they start to follow in the procession, you hear them sing a mournful tune

You continue to walk along the gravel path, lost in your own thoughts. Tendrils of mist and the mournful tune wrap around you as the procession reaches the halfway point along the Dreamwake, rounding a corner onto a path called the Eversleep. Ahead, dark humanoid shapes come out of the mist, you see that the way is blocked by a group of a dozen surly looking locals.

Those carrying the coffin have both hands full holding it up.

Map of The Restlands, I borrowed the link, until I've got set up a bit more.. smiles


Human (Tia.) Alchemist L1 | AC15 | hp 10/10 | Percep +5

Forced to stop by the crowd, the irascible old man calls out to them in irritation.
"You in way! Go round! We carry heavy coffin!"


Male Half-Elf Ranger (skirmisher) 2

Merenso glances around, looking for someone whom he can hand over his part of the coffin.
Perception:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
"What business do you have with us? This is a mourning procession, please stand aside. You don't want to know how heavy this thing is."


Male Dhampir Inquisitor 1

Jevalt's brow furrows and his eyes flash an angry crimson.

"This is a holy procession. Who dares interrupt one of the Lady's holiest of rituals?" He demands in a voice that despite not being in the least way loud, carries a tone that allows no argument.

Taldor

[ooc]Will post tomorrow when sober, birthday drinks with my son...[/oo]

Taldor

An tall elderly but wiry fellow, looks like he has seen military service in his time, steps forwards out of the group barring your way. He seems oblivious your words.

"That's far enough," he says. "We been talking, and we don't want Lorrimor buried in the Restlands. You can take him upriver and bury him there if you want, but he ain't goin' in the ground here!"

At the front of your little procession, Kendra stiffens. She steps forwards.

"What are you talking about?" she cries out, her sadness turning to anger. "I arranged it with Father Grimburrow. He's waiting for us! The grave's already been..."

"You don't get it, woman," the old man interrupts, meeting her anger with fury of his own.

He seems about to say more, does anyone wish to interject a comment here or will you hear him out?

Diplomacy checks from all who respond, please.


Eilinica has held her peace for the most, perhaps content in the knowledge that few would have the prerequisite gall to forstall a burial in Pharasma's domain. When the elderly man steps forward and suggests that he has some control otherwise, and begins abusing Professor Lorrimor's daughter in her time of grief, she cannot hold her tongue.

"What is this then? Not only disrupting the professor's journey, but placing himself above Pharasma, too, in Her domain?" Eilinica inquires. "We have no quarrel with you and yours, Sir. As the Lady says, she has permission to bury ours here. Go with Her blessings upon ye, and get gone."

Eilinica untrained Diplomacy 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 *snerk*


Human (Tia.) Alchemist L1 | AC15 | hp 10/10 | Percep +5

"Help! Help! Ugly bandits in graveyard! You offend Ancestors with face. Ancestors going to get you now!"
Diplomacy: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (13) - 1 = 12

Aside, to pallbearers;
"We set box down?"


Male Half-Elf Ranger (skirmisher) 2

"I've received note of the Professor's death more than a day ago. You've had more than enough time to bring up your issues with the heiress or the reverend. Now the rite must be honored - and you know as well as I do what may happen otherwise."
Only Diplomacy? Bluff\Intimidate don't count? :(
Diplomacy (untrained):1d20 ⇒ 5
Just in case - Intimidate:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Merenso quickly nods to Xiuj and gets ready to put his part down.

Silver Crusade

Diplomacy 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

The small woman in the large cloak covering her face steps forward as the progression stops. She listens to Kendra and the older man speak and notes his temper about the eyes and mouth. "Unless they are some sort of law, I don't believe we should let them decide where the professor should be buried." she says to the others loud enough to be heard by the wiry man. "Are you the law here then?" she asks, a note defiance in her voice.


Male Dhampir Inquisitor 1

As if it takes every amount of restraint present in him, Jevalt slowly begins to set the casket down with the others. Once the coffin is safely on the ground, the dhampir's lips curl in an almost feral snarl, canines extending slightly. (These guys are showing a complete lack of reverence for his faith, so Jevalt isn't trying to be in the least way diplomatic here)

"What in all the gods' names do you fathom gives you the right to interrupt one of the Lady's most sacred affairs?" he asks darkly as he purposefully walks forward. His fingers twitch, and his palm itches for the haft of his weapon. No, not now. He approaches the men slowly until he is right in front of them. He looks them in the eyes menacingly, crimson gaze boring into their immortal souls. Then he says just loud enough to be heard, "I suggest you remove yourselves from here now and as swiftly as possible. This is your only warning. I'm telling you nicely because a friend of mine has passed on from this world. In about ten seconds I won't be nice any longer. You've got that long to get out of my way. So, what's it going to be, farmer?"

I'm going to attempt an Intimidate if I can. If not, well then there you go...
Intimidate 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Taldor

Even as you lower the coffin gently to the floor, the man continues gruffly with no reason, just venom in his voice. "You just don't get it woman. We won't have a necromancer buried in the same place as our kin. I suggest you move out while you still can. Folks are pretty upset about this right now." A few more locals appear out from the mists behind the group, as their number swell to around twenty.

Kendra replies incredulously, her ire raised, "Necromancy!? Are you really that ignorant!"

As tempers flare, from the mob a group of about nine farmer workers, laborers and fishermen raise whatever tools and other implements in their hands and approach the PCs, with violence in their eyes, shouting abuse at the funeral party. "Damn foreigners get you gone from here. Bury that deathly wizard in your own homes! Be gone!" The man leading the group, steps back from the front as the younger, stronger men take the lead.

As the mob approach towards you waving as weapons the equipment in hand, a pick-axe, a shovel, some lead piping or some such item to use as a club. Two of the younger members of the mob, barely old enough to be adults, if indeed they are, are stopped in their tracks by the glaring and stern talking Jevalt and Merenso. Fear and uncertainty take control of their minds, never having come across such steely eyed heroes before. They drop their tools , turn on their heels and retreat into the crowd behind.

Meanwhile, a panic swells in the funeral party, the locals who came to bear witness and give their farewells, move back from the mobs progress towards you. Sobs turn to shouts of anxiety as fear sets in.

To help move the game along, I'll be rolling initiative, unless you really want to do it another way.


Action Order, (but you needn't post in this order, I will adjust) :
Merenso Kull
Xiuj-Hal-Leyng
Ysabot Vaskel
Dominnia Vorsaife
Jevalt Ardain
Kendra Lorrimor

Round 1 starts no map for this encounter.

Players Initiative:

Dominnia Vorsaife 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Theodric Vorsaife, Eidolon 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 ... currently not summoned.
Eilinica Ziorec 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18
Jevalt Ardain 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Merenso Kull 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Xiuj-Hal-Leyng 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Ysabot Vaskel 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

DM Dice Rolls of Death:

Random Helpers -1 1d20 ⇒ 18, 1d20 ⇒ 11, 1d20 ⇒ 20, 1d20 ⇒ 18, 1d20 ⇒ 7, 1d20 ⇒ 8, 1d20 ⇒ 4, 1d20 ⇒ 11, 1d20 ⇒ 20, 1d20 ⇒ 16, 1d20 ⇒ 19
Random Helpers -2 1d20 ⇒ 7, 1d20 ⇒ 9, 1d20 ⇒ 6, 1d20 ⇒ 8, 1d20 ⇒ 15, 1d20 ⇒ 16, 1d20 ⇒ 5, 1d20 ⇒ 9, 1d20 ⇒ 10, 1d20 ⇒ 1, 1d20 ⇒ 3
Random Helpers -3 1d10 ⇒ 5, 1d10 ⇒ 10, 1d10 ⇒ 7, 1d10 ⇒ 2, 1d10 ⇒ 4, 1d10 ⇒ 3, 1d10 ⇒ 6, 1d10 ⇒ 9, 1d10 ⇒ 10, 1d10 ⇒ 4, 1d10 ⇒ 10


Male Half-Elf Ranger (skirmisher) 2

Merenso was already in a bad temper, but facing a mob with pitchforks? That was far too much. He drew his sword, steel hissing as it flew through the thick mist.
The familiar feel of his trusty weapon calmed him somewhat. He looked at the nearest peasant, who was threatening him with a shovel. The man was no fighter, there was no hatred in his eyes - just fear. Merenso couldn't fathom what could have scared those people so much that they could attack a funeral procession. He knew well enough though, that in a mob, fear often turns into the deadliest of weapons. Merenso took several large swings with the sword without aiming anywhere in particular, clearing himself the path to the tall Varisian woman who seemed to draw anger of a particularly unwashed peasant with her words.
"Back down, you superstitious fools! He roared with anger. Who did you just call a necromancer?! This is my friend you're talking about, and I've killed real necromancers before! You should learn some respect for the dead before you start pointing your farm tools at living people!
Intimidate (demoralize):1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

Silver Crusade

"Uh oh. This is about to turn ugly and Theodric isn't here." Dominnia thinks very worried to herself.

Then a gruff grandfatherly voice echoes inside her head. "Always defend yourself first, Dominnia. This way you have time to sort out your enemy from your friends, or take note of your surroundings." Theodric's teachings come back to her and she takes action.

"Sve-liss Domontra!" she intones in the language of magic.

A quick flash of white light appears in front of the summoner before becoming an invisible protection for the young woman.

Actions: Cast shield. Move to within 5' of nearest PC.


Male Dhampir Inquisitor 1

Jevalt sighs as he takes a cautious step back and reaches for his crossbow. They never listen. His red eyes glance skyward, checking the cloud cover. At least the sun's not out much. Perfect. He feels the wind tugging at his dark hair and mentally adjusts his aim. Then, quick as a lightning bolt, he slams a bolt into the firing mechanism. He cocks it fiercely before flicking the trigger with his bottom two fingers sending the bolt flying towards the thigh of the nearest farmer. Fools.

Crossbow attack roll (nonlethal) at the nearest aggressor
1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11
Damage roll if that hits
1d8 ⇒ 5


Human (Tia.) Alchemist L1 | AC15 | hp 10/10 | Percep +5

Xiuj takes out a bomb catalyst phial from one of his many pockets, then hesitates. No, he really didn't want to set any people on fire, even ignorant panicky barbarians like these. He put the catalyst back.

Instead, he pulls out potion bottle with an extract of Enlarge and swallows it. His five foot six tall body swells up to become an impressive eleven feet tall.

"HA! YOU COME PICK ON LITTLE MAN? NOT SO LITTLE NOW!" He swings his twelve foot long log around in a threatening manner.


Eilinica, recognizing that diplomacy has failed, gently lowers the Professor's casket, then draws her star knife as a move action, and readies to throw it should any combatants come into range.

"Disperse, now, and go with Pharasma and Desna's grace!"

Taldor

The remaining rabble rousers approach you, yelling their abuse. The first waves his pitchfork at Merenso Kull, and is stopped in his track but the rising anger coming from the mountain man. At Merenso's shouts his resolve wavers, his knees almost buckle under him, indecision wracks his mind, does he have the strength of mind to press forward any attack? To his side a scream breaks through the mist and drizzle, try as the weather does to dampen the sound it pieces the mans ears. This cry of agony is followed by the clatter of tools falling onto the gravel path. Grasping hands cannot stop the pain of the crossbolt quarrel sticking in his thigh, the pain quickly increases taking over the man's capability to function, as he slumps to the floor unconcious, his blue laborers hat gently rolling from his head as his eyes close and the blood drains from his face. The brown haired yob, standing still not knowing what to do next, seeing the blood and his friend seemingly dying, turns and runs back from the chaos. This fight is not for him.

Two brutes spy the lady Eilinica Ziorec and get closer, Eilinica's starknife is ready, as she throws it at the red haired gentleman, attempting to come at her with a spade. Ranged Starknife attack 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6, Damage if hits 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6 Taking it that you held until they got in range.. The knife aimed to strike in his leg, is easy for the yob to move out of the way. They both strike, but the bows with their farm implements are no match for the armor and god protecting Eilinica. The blows fall harmlessly away.

As the fight starts in earnest, the terrified shouts from the funeral party, turn into the sound of mourners running away. Even the older man with some authority, quickly puts his hand on Kendra's shoulder and mutters something, before scurrying away as fast as his podgy torso and legs can carry him.

The two thugs seeing an elderly gentleman taking a drink, head towards the easy target, confident in their ability to knock one of the funeral party out. Intimidate 1 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16, Intimidate 2 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5 .. I know this isn't in the rules, but seeing you suddenly enlarge is pretty intimidating to a bunch of locals. The first of the two, in his dark blue smock and black boots, watches and stares transfixed with terror as Xuij grows in size. His friend, caught in the frenzy of mob violence, takes aim at the growing large man with his pitch fork, hoping to topple the unsteady looking giant. For the agile Tain the blow is dodged with ease, a smile breaking on Xuij's face.

Kendra, seeing a couple of thugs coming her way, quickly speaks words of arcane power, "Arthenum Deflectum" and her body glows with a yellow arcane power. They look to surround her and beat her with rakes and flails, but in their attempt not to be recognised by the retreating villagers in the funeral party, they miss entirely.

The last ruffian, approaches Jevalt with understandable trepidation, hoping to stop the stranger from using his crossbow on his friends once more. But the fear engendered by Jevalt is enough to make the man miss his mark as the makeshift club strikes the ground by Jevalt's feet.

The combat situation at the end of Round 1
2 in melee with Eilinca, who does not have a melee weapon in hand.
2 in melee with Kendra, who doesn't have a melee weapon in hand.
2 in melee with Xuij who is enlarged, 1 attacker stunned
1 in melee with Jevalt, Jevalt does not have a melee weapon in hand.
Those not in melee can move into melee with any of the mob they choose.

Round 2

DM Rolls:

Commoner 1 - Intimidated, runs away (Moreno)
Commoner 2 - Stabalization Roll 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15 (Jevalt) Commoner stabilized.
Commoner 3 - Starknife attack misses, Attacks Eilinica 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (16) - 3 = 13, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Commoner 4 - Attacks Eilinica 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (13) - 3 = 10, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Commoner 5 - Attacking Xuij - stunned for a round
Commoner 6 - Attacking Xuij 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (11) - 3 = 8, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Commoner 7 - Attack Kendra 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (10) - 3 = 7, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Commoner 8 - Attack Kendra 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (2) - 3 = -1, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Commoner 9 - Attack Jevalt 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (6) - 3 = 3, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Commoner 10 - Intimidated by Moreno first round...


Male Half-Elf Ranger (skirmisher) 2

Seeing both of the unarmed women attacked by two brutes each, Merenso hesitated a bit, but immediately settled on helping the cleric, as she was closer to him. Swiftly moving behind one of the yobs, he raised his sword above his head and dropped the hilt onto the man's head with both hands.
Attack: -4 nonlethal, +2 flanking 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16
Damage (2-handed): 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


Human (Tia.) Alchemist L1 | AC15 | hp 10/10 | Percep +5

Status:

AC 13
hp 10

Xiuj capers around like a monkey.
"HA! YOU IN TROUBLE NOW SHORTY!"
Targets the unstunned opponent.
Nonlethal Staff attack: 1d20 + 2 + 1 - 1 - 4 ⇒ (9) + 2 + 1 - 1 - 4 = 7 for a possible 1d8 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 1 + 1 = 9 crush damage.


Male Dhampir Inquisitor 1

Jevalt springs back swiftly from the man swiping at him with the makeshift club, pulling a bolt from the case on his hip in mid leap. As he lands he slaps the bolt into place and, using the same trick his old mentors taught him, cocks it back while almost simultaneously flicking his lower fingers against the trigger in one fluid motion.The bolt streaks through the foggy air towards the man's right bicep. Let's see you swing at me with that in your arm.

Five-foot-step back, reload crossbow, and fire (nonlethal)
Attack roll (nonlethal) 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (13) - 1 = 12
Damage roll (nonlethal) 1d8 ⇒ 3


"Behold, the light of Desna's wrath!"

Eilinica untrained Intimidate 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Eilinica five foots back and casts Light on her heavy mace in an attempt to frighten her assailants.

Silver Crusade

The young assimar moves to help Kendra seeing as how she looks unarmed and unarmored. She walks up behind on of the fisherman/farmers and tries to hit him on the back of the head with the butt of her spear.

Round 2 Actions: Move into melee, attack non-lethal 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (8) - 3 = 5 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Taldor

It is with surprise that Eilinica facing up to the red haired attacker, sees a sword raise above his head, before it comes crashing down. The man falls in a heap before her, to reveal a grubby but smiling face of another of the pall-bearers, Merenso Kull. As she prepares and brings the power of Desna to bear by the lighting of her sword, the other thug strikes out with his rake, aiming to knock the sense from the armored cleric, AoO. Despite the attack, Eilinica's swords shines like a bright light in the gathering gray gloom of the drizzling day. It does little to stop the man's appetite for violence and to turn the funeral party back. He strikes again, hoping to stop Eilinica in her tracks, but is only able to bounce his rake off her armor.

Jevalt takes a step back firing the bolt straight and true, but misses the man's arm and smashing into his ribs, before it deflects away from his vital organs, however the blood pouring out shows the man to be severely damaged. The man cries in pain, takes one more look at the 6ft man with long flowing auburn hair. His mind races to the conclusion, that this fight is not worth his life and he turns and runs from the altercation clutching his ever reddening side. @Jevalt, Ranged weapons do lethal damage, unless you use special ammunition for non-lethal damage.

Xuij, taken aback but the suddenness of his change of size, is unable to focus his full attention on the farm hand in front of him. As he goes to strike with his enlarged staff, the man easily skips to his left evading the blow, laughing in the old man's face, "Ha, is that all you've got, age will get you soon, no matter how big a giant you are. But first its my turn to topple you. Ha!" The handle of the pitch folk heads for Xuij's silk shirt, aiming for his stomach. The laborer in his blue smack, seems to gather himself and stops shaking. His courage returns as he watches Xuij miss with his staff and Toumas skipping by the giant's blow. With a shout, he raises his rake, moving swiftly forward to strike Xuij's legs to weaken his stance. As Xuij dodges the pitchfork, his legs take the full force from the rake, nearly causing him to buckle. Xuij, 5 HPs, Non-lethal damage

Meanwhile Kendra pulls a dagger hidden in the folds of her black dress, but though not skilled fighters, the two assailants see an opportunity to disable the chief mourner and maybe cause the funeral party to retreat, 2xAoO. She strikes out at the ape of a man in front of her, just as the butt of a spear crashes into the ground by his side, with a loud crack. Dominnia curses at her misfortune to miss such an ugly and base man. Kendra uses the momentary distraction to try and disable the thug. she shows more grace than you realized as she carefully steps between the blows, but in doing so is unable to press her own attack forward.

The combat situation at the end of Round 2
1 in melee with Eilinca
2 in melee with Kendra, Kendra and Dominnia flank 1 of the attackers.
2 in melee with Xuij who is enlarged, 2 attackers flanking, Xuij takes 5pts non-lethal damage
Those not in melee can move into melee with any of the mob they choose.

Round 3

DM Rolls:

Kendra AC=14, Down 0 HPs Attack 1d20 - 4 + 2 ⇒ (11) - 4 + 2 = 9 damage non-lethal 1d4 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2
Commoner 1 - Intimidated, runs away (Moreno)
Commoner 2 - Stabalized Unconscious (Jevalt)
Commoner 3 - Starknife attack, then knocked unconscious by Merenso.
Commoner 4 - Attacks Eilinica AoO 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (16) - 3 = 13, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Commoner 4 - Attacks Eilinica 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (2) - 3 = -1, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Commoner 5 - Attacking Xuij 1d20 - 3 + 2 ⇒ (8) - 3 + 2 = 7, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Commoner 6 - Attacking Xuij 1d20 - 3 + 2 ⇒ (18) - 3 + 2 = 17, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Commoner 7 - Attack Kendra AoO 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (6) - 3 = 3, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Commoner 7 - Attack Kendra AoO 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (7) - 3 = 4, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Commoner 8 - Attack Kendra 1d20 - 3 + 2 ⇒ (10) - 3 + 2 = 9, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Commoner 8 - Attack Kendra 1d20 - 3 + 2 ⇒ (8) - 3 + 2 = 7, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Commoner 9 - down 3HPs, runs away.
Commoner 10 - Intimidated by Moreno first round...


Male Half-Elf Ranger (skirmisher) 2

Despite his enemies being mere commoners, Merenso has started to feel the exhilarating rush of battle. He took a swift step behind the other man's back, at the same time twisting around as if doing a dance pirouette, and used his both hands to deliver a punch to the base of the man's spine with the hilt of his sword.

I assumed 5-foot step will be enough to flank the opponent who's still threatening Eilinica. If not, remove the flanking bonus. If he's more than 5 feet away, I deserve an AoO :)
Attack: -4 nonlethal, +2 flanking 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Damage (2-handed): 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Taldor

The man threatening Eilinica, grunts as Merenso's sword hilt, punches into his midrift, causing him to double over in pain, only for his chin and face to meet Morenso's knee as he jerks it up. The bloodied mouth, spits out a yellow tooth, before he falls face down on the ground, unmoving.

Another one down....unconscious

Round 3 continues.....


Male Dhampir Inquisitor 1

My bad, DM. I overlooked the part where it states that melee weapons may choose to take a -4 to deal nonlethal.

Jevalt stares at the blood flowing from the man's chest intently. He takes a slow step forward, almost as if the battle raging around him has ceased to exist in his mind. He begins to reach forward before squinting his eyes shut and grimacing as if in pain. He calms himself and sighs as he kneels next to the man he just shot.

"Lie still," he states softly. "This might sting." With that he places his hand upon the man's wound and begins chanting and the spiral symbol on the chain around his wrist begins to glow. "Gloriosissimum nomen tuum quaesumus lituus de mors una die." At the end of Jevalt's prayer, the blood has ceased flowing, and the man seems stable, yet it is difficult to tell whether Jevalt is saddened or relieved .

Moving back to the side of the one I just shot and casting Stabilize.

Silver Crusade

Why don't they flee? They must know they are outmatched. Could they really believe what that man said about the Professor?" Dominnia thinks as she tries to subdue another commoner.

Actions Round 3: attack (non-lethal/flanking) 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (10) - 1 = 9... 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Human (Tia.) Alchemist L1 | AC15 | hp 10/10 | Percep +5

Status:

AC 15 (13 while embiggened)
hp 5 (50%) (5 nonlethal)

Xiuj is jolted by the hit, and is thinking more and more about using a bomb. He resists however, and continues to caper around like a monkey.
"OW! YOU LUCKY YOU IN GRAVEYARD SHORTY! YOU GONNA NEED ONE!"
Targets the same one who hit him.
Nonlethal Staff attack: 1d20 + 2 + 1 - 1 - 4 ⇒ (5) + 2 + 1 - 1 - 4 = 3 for a possible 1d8 + 2 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 1 + 1 = 8 nonlethal crush damage.


"You have my thanks," Eilinica says to the man who so easily disabled the foes threatening her. She looks to Kendra, still swamped by two and finds her assisted by another, while the large old man is not.

Eilinica moves towards Xiuj, brandishing her lighted mace, and attacks one of his foes.

Eilinica non-lethal attack 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (10) - 2 = 8 if she hits she will deal 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10 non lethal damage.

Taldor

As Jevalt's spell encompasses the wounded man, he hears him grunt as the magics permeate his body and his breaths sound a little stronger.

As Elinica moves towards the man in the blue smock attacking Xuij, but as she seeks righteous justice, she slips on the damp and wet grass, her mace missing the man and almost pulling her off balance, but she's quick on her feet and regains her balance. As she watches Xuij seemingly struggle to find accuracy with his bough-like staff, being enlarged isn't quite as easy as Xuij had at first imagined. He once more misses the blue smocked man with his attack. The man grins at him, striking back at him once more smashing his rake into Xuij's groin, just as his friend, Toumas' pitchfork cracks over the old man's head. Both strong blows seem capable of bringing the old man to his knees, he sinks to the ground unconscious and gravely injured. 6+7=13 points nonlethal damage, 6 nonlethal makes you unconscious, you take 7 points of real damage.

Dominnia, who's finding it difficult to focus on just Kendra's adversaries, sees her attention drawn as she sees Xuij's fall to the ground to her right. Her strike at the man in front of her falls short, as once more her staff cracks into the gravel path. However, the crack of the staff, is enough to make him step to the left straight into Kenda's dagger, which slides across his bicep, slicing through shirt and making a long red gash, immobilizing his arm. He turns and flees, whilst his friend is able hit Kendra as she is concentrating on the base man. He manages to strike the woman's shoulder, causing her to cry out in pain. Kendra takes 4pts nonlethal damage.. However seeing his friend run, he too turns and flees.

As the two farm workers attacking Xuij look around, they see the rest of the thugs running from the fight. With such overwhelming odds against them, they turn and flee too, at least they will have a tale to tell their drinking buddies, next time they go to the inn.

The combat situation at the end of Round 3
Xuij is unconscious and injured.
The attackers are all fleeing...
Dominnia may have an AoO on 1 attacker
Elinica may have an AoO on one of 2 attackers

Combat Over

DM Rolls:

Kendra AC=14, Down 0 HPs Attack 1d20 - 4 + 2 ⇒ (12) - 4 + 2 = 10 damage non-lethal 1d4 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1
Commoner 1 - Intimidated, runs away (Moreno)
Commoner 2 - Stabalized Unconscious (Jevalt)
Commoner 3 - Starknife attack, then knocked unconcious by Merenso.
Commoner 4 - Unconscious by Mereno
Commoner 5 - Attacking Xuij 1d20 - 3 + 2 ⇒ (19) - 3 + 2 = 18, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Commoner 6 - Attacking Xuij 1d20 - 3 + 2 ⇒ (15) - 3 + 2 = 14, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Commoner 7 - takes damage to his arm and flees, (Kendra)[/dice]
Commoner 8 - Attack Kendra 1d20 - 3 + 2 ⇒ (16) - 3 + 2 = 15, damage 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Commoner 9 - down 3HPs, runs away.
Commoner 10 - Intimidated by Moreno first round...


Eilinica, furious with the farmer's cowardly nature, attacks the man in the blue smock as he tries to flee.

Eilinica Heavy Mace non lethal Attack 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (19) - 2 = 17 if she hits she will deal 1d8 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8 non lethal damage.


Male Half-Elf Ranger (skirmisher) 2

Right, I have completely overlooked the favored enemy bonus vs. humans! But luckily I didn't even need it! :)

"You're welcome, lady" Merenso said, catching his breath. "I was just doing what I do best. But it seems that our foreign companion is not doing too well, we should help him."
Merenso himself, however, doesn't know how to help an unconcsious man. After seeing that enough care is given and his intervention can only do harm, he went up to the pale fellow with the crossbow and motioned him aside.
"Look, all I can say I do not want to get on your bad side. But did you seriously feel the need to draw blood? However ignorant and misguided these people might be, are they really our enemies? They're of the same flesh and blood as you and me, after all! Merenso looked the other warrior in the eyes, and immediately regretted his last words. The man looked human, but did not feel human. His eyes deceived an unnatural presence within. Merenso involuntarily took a slight step back.
Checks to see if Merenso can recognize a dhampir:
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Know (nature): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5


Human (Tia.) Alchemist L1 | AC15 | hp 10/10 | Percep +5

Man, I've got six bomb catalysts on me, I really hope none of them broke on the way down. That would be unpleasant for all concerned within ten feet.

Taldor

As a blue smock runs past Eilinica, a mace pounds into his stomach, polaxing the man, drawing all the wind from his lungs. He plunges forward, knocking his head on a small tombstone and exclaims as his eyes close and the darkness of unconsciousness takes his mind, his body slumps to the ground.


Male Dhampir Inquisitor 1

Jevalt eyes the huntsman who seems to have only just noticed his nature. No matter. At least he didn't try to attack me. "I did what I deemed necessary," he says, leaving the half-elf for the other man he shot. Jevalt kneels down, removes the bolt from his leg, and begins to chant the same prayer. Noting the instant coagulation of the blood and the steadying of the man's breath, he sighs and stands. "For the record, I warned them, but they insisted on assaulting a funerary party." He then makes his way over to the elderly tian man. He kneels and feels for the old man's pulse. Noting that he still lives he performs the prayer one last time. "There. That should stop the bleeding, but he'll need more capable healing if he does not want to spend quite a bit of time in recovery. At the moment, however, he is not in danger of dying."

Casting Stabilize on the first guy I shot and Xiuj.


Eilinica kneels atop the man in the blue smock, pressing her knee in the small of his back to disable him.

Eilinica CMB 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

"Would not want this one escaping like the remainder of the cowards," she says, and then from beneath her orange scarf pulls a wooden symbol in the shape of a butterfly elaborately carved with a celestial motif.

"Bring Mistress Kendra, and any others who were injured close, please," she requests.

When this is done, Eilinica Channels Energy (1/5) to heal 1d6 ⇒ 5 damage.

As the tall woman kneels on the peasant's back, gripping her holy symbol, she begins speaking in flowing Varisian, the language rolling of her tongue as though she were born of the people. A gentle breeze picks up her curls, and bursts forth in a rush, surrounding her and all within 30 feet of her with a dazzling display of illuminated butterflies that land on bruised and broken limbs and dull the pain. Eilinica looks up at the remainder of the group, and for a moment her dark eyes appear to be a bright violet, but then the illusion is suddenly gone.

"Desna has lent these men Her grace," she informs the group. "Though we disagree, let us not renew hostilities. I believe that our friend would agree that such a display is unconscionable in a holy place."

Taldor

Please retcon this before Eilinica's post, started it before I saw hers.

As you gather your breath after the short but violent altercation, four strangers bodies lie unconscious about you, all appear to be breathing normally and at first glance don't look like they have life threatening injuries. Xuij, one of the pallbearers, lies spreadeagled and unconscious on the gravel path, is breath condensing in the cooling air, battered and bruised. The drizzle seems to intensify, as though the weather is hiding you from any more harm, though your bones feel the damp chill.

Kendra is sobbing slightly, kneeing by her father's coffin on the graveled path. Quietly speaking as though her father was still here, "You didn't deserve that father. These people don't know what a good servant and protector they have lost." her shoulders move as the sobbing carries through the still damp air.

Taldor

As the men involved in the fight run, so do the crowd of onlookers cheering and egging them on, including the brown haired older man that was their spokesman, or was it leader. As they become as apparitions in the mist day, you see one or two of the villagers look back, worried looks on their faces, or is it fright at the newcomers.

You hear more shouts through the mist, "Joseph Crabwater, is that you? And Grainich Darthwarl you weren't involved in that conflagration I heard!" The sounds of panting and running feet across the gravel gets louder as an old balding grey haired man, in black and purple robes his faces almost turning the color of his robes with the effort from the exertion. Two younger men carrying shovels, appear either side looking quizzically around. The old man slows as he reaches the party, as he sees Kendra distraught by her father's casket. He turns around and sees a well armored woman with dark flowing hair kneeing on a struggling man in a blue smock. The man in the smock twists and turns trying to escape, "Get off me, you don't belong here, take your necromantic ways with you, you're not welcome here!" Despite Eilinica's best efforts the man struggles free, his battered and bruised head turns and see the old man. He doubles his efforts to leave the scene of the fight, able to run off. Even with +4 to CMD for Eilinica, he managed his CMB.

The old man already turned his gaze to Kendra, moving to her side and gently putting his arm around her hunched shoulders. "It's alright Kendra, we're here now, your father will travel onwards in peace. I'm here to make sure it happens. What happened here? I heard shouting and anger and the sounds of an altercation. I came as quick as I could!" He turns to one of the men, urgency in his voice, "Get Benjan, quickly man, now!" He helps Kendra up, "My dear, my worst fears were realized, I feared something like this might happen, I'm so sorry." As Kendra pulls herself together again after the shock intrusion on her grief, the balding pallet turns to you and introduces himself, "I am Father Grimburrow, please tell me what happened, I don't want Kendra to have to relive these moments. These men lying on the ground, are they alive or has more tragedy befallen this town? If you let me I can tend to their injuries." He stands over the two slumped bodies, still lying unconscious.

Meanwhile the man whose life has returned to him, still feels sore and aching, particularly where the bolt entered his body. His eyes open and he blinks as he feels life returning. With no-one paying him any attention, he quickly slides off into the mists, limping as he runs.

DM stuff:

after Desna heal
C2 = +5
C3 = -3
C4 = -2
C5 - Blue smock

C5 check to free himself from Eilinica's grasp. 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18


Male Half-Elf Ranger (skirmisher) 2

"Everyone should be alive, good father. Nothing more than a week or two of bandages should be required for the most notorious necromancy busters. Thank you for finding us. One of our own was hurt and needs help, too." Merenso points at Xiuj. "I trust you shall direct the proceedings from now on? I'd be grateful if we could at least finish properly that what we have so unfortunately started. The Professor deserved better."


Male Dhampir Inquisitor 1

"The huntsman is right," Jevalt says definitively. "Let us not allow agitators to completely ruin such a sacred ceremony. Such things have a way of causing the deceased to... sleep uneasily, shall we say." Jevalt turns and begins to walk back to the casket. "My friend deserves all the pomp we can give him," he says, almost as much to himself as to the others gathered.

DM, did any of my crossbow bolts survive the combat? Figured I'd ask before I remove them from my inventory.


"Bruised pride, likely," Eilinica fairly growls after watching her prey escape. I thought I were stronger than that... She looks to the old man, still laying on the ground, unmoving.

Varisian:

"My apologies, grandfather. Allow me to assist."

Eilinica kneels beside Xiuj and casts Cure Light Wounds healing the man for 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 damage. She then rises and addresses the priest.

"Good father, I would let these other men be til this sheriff comes. I will want to know why they assaulted this party in this holy place."

Silver Crusade

"An authority figure, uh-oh," Dominnia thinks to herself and tries to hide her face deeper into her hood.

She moves back a little as if she is making room for the others to once more take up the casket. She tries to make herself small and unassuming.

1 to 50 of 1,042 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Carrion Crown Chapter 1 - The Haunting of Harrowstone All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.