Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Caleth's Bronze Age: An Inheritance of Dragons (Inactive)

Game Master Saint Caleth

In an ancient world, a group of recently freed slaves join the fight against the tyrannical Dragon God, possibly to end his reign forever...


1 to 50 of 1,520 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Day comes to Vel Daeroth. You cannot tell, of course, locked as you are in the bowels of the great arena, sent here to die on the sand by the dragons who have enslaved you. It could be worse though, you could have been sent to the mines beneath the city to labor in the heat and the dark until the conditions brake you. At least in the arena you get to see the sun occasionally, and the best gladiators from the arena are accorded a degree of freedom and recognition above any other slave. If you survive long enough you may earn that for yourself.

You have only been here for three days, not long enough to have fought, only to be categorized and assessed, but you know that your first fight will be soon. Already the guards are bringing cages of creatures for the games, giant wolves from the south, lizards from the east and even stranger jungle beasts from the isles of the north all sent to kill and die in the arena.

You are in 20'x20' stone cells. Kjolmar, Orion and Erie share a cell and Quodak, Moredrel and Krathok are in an adjacent cell.

Through the small window in your cell you can see only a large, low ceilinged, pillared room where the guards and arena attendants are organizing a bewildering variety of weaponry on wooden tables. The cages of animals and monsters are in the shadows at the far end of the room. The guards appear to be preparing to equip the fighters for today's event.


A large well muscled human with white skinned stands to look out the window at the table of weapons. As he moves his skin seems to have a strange, but fleeting, sheen to it. He stands roughly six feet tall with small horns on his head that sweep back. Most odd about his appearance is a pair of large wings protruding from his back with small finger-like protrusions at the peaks. Presently he has them draped over his shoulders much like a cloak. These " wing fingers" are presently interlocked a few inches below his adams apple holding the wings in place much like a clasp would on a true cloak.

Still looking out the window he speaks in Xaidan,

Xaidan:
"I have no plans to die today. When I die it will be it will be in battle against my true enemies and not for the amusement of our overlord(s). As such, I hope we will be pitted against the beasts we've seen in cages and not one another. I will not die today and I hope the same for all of you."


Female Elf Scout 1/Fighter (Targeteer) 2

The elven woman paces restlessly in the cell, muttering to herself. Che bel lo stato di cose. Sono incarcerati con selvaggi e ho perso il mio arco. Questa non è una buona giornata!

Elven:
"What a lovely state of affairs. I'm imprisoned with savages and I've lost my bow. This is not a good day!"

Looking around she appears to address her cellmates, Heeft een van u weten wat we kunnen verwachten? Kunt u zelfs begrijp mij?

Camthi:
"Do any of you know what we can expect? Can you even understand me?"

Upon hearing Orion speak, she exclaims, Ach! Nie możemy dzielić się językiem! Cóż to za zwolnieniem! Mam nadzieję, że ta sama dla was, człowieka.

Xaidan:
"Ah! We share a tongue! What a relief! I hope the same for you, human."


Xaidan:

"It is the only tongue I have."


Female Elf Scout 1/Fighter (Targeteer) 2
Orion Snow wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Dobrze, nikt nie jest doskonały, she says, grinning slightly.

Xaidan:
"Well, nobody's perfect."


Erie wrote:
Orion Snow wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Dobrze, nikt nie jest doskonały, she says, grinning slightly.

** spoiler omitted **

Orion chuckles slightly and anyone looking at him notices a slight smile.


Profile not in use

The half-orc sharing your cell stirs from his rest and rises to a squat, putting his back to one corner of the cell. His eyes steadily track the cell taking in his fellow cellmates, though he doesn't speak.

You can see that he is large for a half-orc, and the visible parts of his body show a myriad of scars that you think were made by a lash. His demeanour is quite calm, and you can sense some depth hiding behind his eyes.


Male Human Soulbolt 4

The sleek, young man slumps against the wall of his cell.

"Wydaje się, że ludzie wiedzą, mój ojczysty język. Jakie to szczęście, że mogę przynajmniej być w stanie rozmawiać, zanim umrę. W każdym razie, nie sądzę, że już wystarczająco przygotowany bestie. Wziąłem niektóre z tych rzeczy, według mnie, " now motioning to the jungle beasts," i choć mogą przyjmować niektóre kary, nie powinno być problemem. Miejmy nadzieję, że wszyscy żyją wystarczająco długo, aby wolność, czy to wydane lub podjęte. Powodzenia wszystkim. "

Xaidan:
"It seems that you people know my Native tongue. How fortunate, that I may at least be able to converse before I die. Whatever the case, I don't think they've prepared enough beasts. I've taken some of these things down by myself," now motioning to the beasts from the north, "and while they can take some punishment, they shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully we will all live long enough to receive freedom, whether it is given or taken. Luck to you all."

If he is not already, Quodak will psionically focus. It takes 6 seconds, and just requires concentration. It won't do anything for a while, but it helps him keep his Mind in order, as far as he is concerned. It's sort of a mental training, for him. He has done so since he found out about his power. Once he picks up a blade skill that uses it, it's going to be like a "Oh, I can use it to do that?" kind of moment.


Female Elf Scout 1/Fighter (Targeteer) 2

Perception to see how many guards are nearby, what race(s) they appear to be, and to try to overhear their conversations: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

Also, can you describe the layout of this cell block?

To all in the cells, she says quietly but firmly, "Czyż jest tak defeatist! Ja "polować wielu z tych bydlęta, a także mogą zostać pokonany i outsmarted równie dobrze jak wszelkie inne bydlę. Być inteligentne, trzymać razem w celu uniknięcia przy czym ganged aż po lub odizolowane, a my mogą nosić ich w dół, przy założeniu tych," and here she sniffs archly, "przełomowym patrz pasuje do nadania się z nami broni. Ponadto, może on być rozsądne jest wprowadzenie sobie samemu. Może pani zaproszenie mnie Erie."

Xaidan:
"Don't be so defeatist! I've hunted many of these beasts as well, and they can be defeated and outsmarted just as easily as any other beast. Be smart, stick together to avoid being ganged up upon or isolated, and we can wear them down, assuming," and here she sniffs archly, "these barbarians see fit to give us weapons. Also, it may be prudent to introduce ourselves. You may call me Erie."


Erie:
The guards and attendants outside the cell are coming and going from the large room, but over time you can see that there are eleven armed human guards in the immediate vicinity and one half-dragon who seems to be in charge of the preparations. There are also maybe six attendants who are laying out the weapons. They are unarmed and appear to be slaves as well. There is too much noise in the large chamber for you to hear exactly what they are saying, but they appear to be speaking a mixture of Camthi and badly accented Draconic.

I'll make a map of what you can see from outside your cell.


Male Human Soulbolt 4

"Mogę dźwięku w dół, ale jestem naprawdę swędzenie do walki. Choć broni byłoby miło, wezmę em na ten czy inny sposób. I nie mogła być znacznie od myśliwego w moim pokoleniu, ale już wzrosła w znakomity zabójca gdy unarmed.As długo, jak długo jesteśmy miły, miło cię poznać Erie. Idę przez Quodak imię".

Xaidan:
"I may sound down, but I'm actually itching for a fight. While weapons would be nice, I'll take em out one way or another. I may not have been much of a hunter in my tribe, but I've grown into an excellent killer when unarmed.As long as we're being friendly, it's nice to meet you Erie. I go by the name Quodak. "


Map of Cellblock


Profile not in use

Krathok cautiously eyes the men as they speak amongst themselves, not making any movement or speaking.


Male Dwarf Rogue (scout) 4

The squat, barrel-chested man with whom you share a cell eyes you both with a nervous edge, then looks with a gleam in his eye at the weapons rack. He gives a quiet scoff and mutters under his breath,
"Heimskur, heimskur, heimskur. Ég næ þessar heimskur menn og heimskur eðla húsbónda þeirra líka. Bara bíða. Horfa á þá renni upp einu sinni og sjá hvað gerist."

Mountain Dwarven:
Stupid, stupid, stupid. I'll get these stupid humans and their stupid lizard master too. Just wait. Watch them slip up once, and see what happens.

He spits angrily at the ground and stands up, moving to the front of the cage and addressing the nearest guard.
"Þú þarna, hverju ertu ekki láta mig út úr þessu fordæmdur búr svo að við getum séð hver er betri, ha?"

Mountain Dwarven:
You there, Why don't you let me out of this damned cage so we can see who's the better, eh?


A short somewhat scrawny man slumps against the outside wall of the cell as he has done whenever left in peace since he was thrown in here.
He keeps his eyes down and says nothing, apparently given over to despair. Those in his cell may have noticed that he is watching the door and the guards outside.
He looks up and focuses a little when Quodak speaks but says nothing.

Perception 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15 for anything about the guards or the cellblock, particularly anything they're saying. I don't really expect anything beyond what Erie got, but it's what he'd be doing.

Also, what does he know from being brought in? In terms of planning an escape. Once we get out of the cells, how were we brought in? How large a settlement? How well guarded outside of the immediate area?

Finally, my familiar is a fox, so not easily concealable. I'm assuming he's been following since my capture and is lurking about outside somewhere trying to find a way to get to me. I won't be able to regain spells until we get back together, but I should still have the ones I'd prepared. This could be a problem.


Moredrel:
You can see that the guards seem to be finishing up their preparation, herding the attendants away and blocking off the passages to the north and south. You can't make out what they are saying, but they are speaking a mixture of Camthi and badly accented Draconic. You familiar managed to follow you to the city and nearly into the arena before it was run off by a guard who did not realize that it was connected to you. You can feel its presance close by, so you know that it is in the city.

Geographic Layout:
You are below the area, you were brought into the arena through a wide ramp from the street and lead through a maze of dim halls. However, the layout of the arena seems to be symmetrical, which would help you find your way out

Vel Daeroth is the only city in the world, populated by dragons and half-dragons and their human slaves. The arena is in the west section of the city and on one of the main avenues which leads to the walls.

The guards, at a signal from the half-dragon overseer, move to open the cells. Each door is approaches by three guards, one to open the door and two with their swords out, making it clear that you are extremely expenable in the grand scheme of things. The Half-dragon issues instructions and the guards are thoughtful enough to provide a translation in Camthi. Vrachiona ton eato sas me o, ti opla kai panoplies pou epithymeite. Ooios thetei ena cheri tha sfachtei.

Draconic and Camthi:
Arm yourselves with whatever weapons and armor you desire. Anyone who raises a hand will be slain immediately.

He indicates the tables, which are covered in an assortment of weapons and armor. One table has ranges weapons, a shortbow, javelins, a sling and daggers. The second table has meele weapons, a shortsword, club, battle-axe, a warhammer and a longspear. The third table has six sets of leather armor and two light shields. All the weapons are made of bronze.


Male Dwarf Rogue (scout) 4

Kjolmar snarls at the half-dragon, gnashing his teeth together and spitting out,
"Og þú ert ljót sonur Karta."

Mountain Dwarven:
And you are an ugly son of a toad.

However, he realizes he has little choice here, and moves to the tables. He reaches for the short sword and a set of leather armor.


Female Elf Scout 1/Fighter (Targeteer) 2

Erie will equip a set of leather armor, a shortbow, arrows and a dagger.

Knowledge: Nature on the assorted critters 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28


Male Human Soulbolt 4

Quodak will equip a set of Leather Armor, and pick up a club. He will then strap it somewhere on his person. Anywhere is fine, as long as I don't have to hold it.
"Cóż, zaczynamy."

Xaidan:
"Well, here we go."


Erie:
There are three cages filled. You recognize the animals in the first cage to be two velociraptors, common on the plains. You think that the creature in the second cage is a sabertooth tiger from the foothills of the south. You have never seen a live one before, but the greatest of elven hunters occasionally bear its teeth as a trophy. You have never seen anything like the creature in the last cage. It is some sort of large reptile. It seems to you like an aquatic creature from the deep jungles of the north.


Profile not in use

Krathok garbs himself in leather and grabs a dagger, following the example of the others.


Moredrel pushes himself up and takes a dagger and a couple of throwing knives from the table.

And then waits.


Orion tenses as the guards open the doors, but eventually walks to the table and Grabs two daggers, which he sheaths in his belt, and a Heavy Mace. He don's no armor.

Xaidan:
"May death come swiftly to our enemies"


Male Dwarf Rogue (scout) 4

The squat man attempts to put on the armor but it isn't fitted to a man of his proportions. He struggles against it for a few seconds in vain, then throws it back on the table, his face red and scowling.

"Ekki þú hefur einhverjar brynja sem er ekki stór fyrir horaður api?"

Mountain Dwarven:
Don't you have any armor that isn't sized for a skinny monkey?


Seeing that you have availed yourself of the basic equipment provided for you, the half-dragon issues more instructions. The guards again provide a translation into Camthi. Eán eíste exoplisménoi , baínei kaneís ston anelkystíra na artheí epáno sto dachtylídi . An epivió̱soun tha trofodoteítai kai endechoménos dotheí éna idio̱tikó kyttáron

Draconic and Camthi:
If you are equipped, step onto the elevator to be lifted up into the arena. If you survive you will be fed and possibly given a private cell.

The human guards proceed to prod you along until you are all squeezed onto the wooden platform at the far end of the room. Then two of them begin cranking a nearby wheel, and a tangle of gears and ropes lift the mechanism upwards, heading towards the light of the arena.


Male Human Soulbolt 4

Quodak seems very intrigued by the mechanism, but once the light from the sun is in his face, he will shield his eyes.

Could you answer my question in the OOC thread? I would like to know before this combat, is all.


Even without understanding the guards Orion Gets the gist.
While in the wooden platform he says a few words and moves his arms around.

Quadro intitulado Homage Armor

spellcraft:

Mage armor


Quodak:
There was no cestus available, don't worry though you will have a chance to equip yourself properly soon.

The lift rises up onto the level of the arena floor and the first sensations you have is of blinding light and the roar of the crowd. The arena itself is an enormous circle of bloody sand, ringed by tall walls leading up to where the spectators sit. You probably had no idea that things this big were even considered buildings before now. There is a narrow band of seating for humanoids closest to the sand. Beyond that the arena is ringed with massive carved stone columns in several concentric rings. On the tops of these columns lounge dragons of all colors, watching the proceedings with a wide range of interest. Beyond these pillars the delicately carved towers where the draconic elite live rise high into the sky, caging you in on a massive scale.

In the very center of the arena, a circle of tall wooden stakes has been erected to mark out a smaller area for small scale combat. Guards armed with long spears prod you into this circle. As you enter you see attendants dragging off the bodies of three unfortunate combatants and a lion. Across from you in the circle stand two armored humans with halberds, two orcs clearly just arrived from the reaches of the south and a man with lank black hair who has the look of a Northerner about him.


Male Human Soulbolt 4

I wouldn't happen to know the northerner, would I?

I will step forward into the ring. To those of the party, "Cóż, wygląda na to, jesteśmy zespołem potem."

Xaidan:
" Well, it looks like we're a team, then."


Quodak:
You aren't even sure what tribe he is from, except that he might be from a much more isolated place even farther north even than you.


Quodak Milner wrote:

I wouldn't happen to know the northerner, would I?

I will step forward into the ring. To those of the party, "Cóż, wygląda na to, jesteśmy zespołem potem."

** spoiler omitted **

Xaidan:

"That's fortunate."

Orion says as he shurgs slightly.


Male Human Soulbolt 4

"Nie masz pojęcia," Quodak says, grinning.

Xaidan:
"You have no idea."


Male Dwarf Rogue (scout) 4

Kjolmar brandishes his sword, preparing for the fight. He looks up to the dragons, hesitates a moment, then shouts, "Þú eðla vilja fá það sem kemur til þín!"

Mountain Dwarven:
You lizards will get what's coming to you!

He gnashes his teeth, then turns to the rest of the group and gives a halfhearted grin. He reaches up to slap Quodak on the shoulder and remarks, "Jæja, við skulum hafa á það þá!"
Mountain Dwarven:
Well, let's have at it then!


Kjolmar Greyhelm wrote:

Kjolmar brandishes his sword, preparing for the fight. He looks up to the dragons, hesitates a moment, then shouts, "Þú eðla vilja fá það sem kemur til þín!"

** spoiler omitted **
He gnashes his teeth, then turns to the rest of the group and gives a halfhearted grin. He reaches up to slap Quodak on the shoulder and remarks, "Jæja, við skulum hafa á það þá!"
** spoiler omitted ** [/QUOTE
Not understanding the words, but getting the gist, Orion smiles a bit. He likes the dwarf already.


After a moment and at a signal from a red dragon sitting atop the most prominent pillar, a deep horn blast sounds and the crowd goes as close to silent as you have heard them, waiting for the bloodshed to begin.

Roll Intitiative

DM Rolls:
Enemy Intitiative:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Arena Map
The pit in the center is the opening of another elevator like the one you came up in. The barriers are low barricades. They count as difficult terrain, but can be ignored while moving with a DC 15 Acrobatics check.


Male Dwarf Rogue (scout) 4

Initiative:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13

The short man bellows out at the opponents, his roar ending in crazed laughter.


Initiative;1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18


Male Human Soulbolt 4

Quodak licks his lips in anticipation of the battle which is about to ensue.

Initiative1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9


Moredrel mutters "Net zo goed een manier als elke om te sterven, denk ik." as he steps a little close to Krathok.

Camthi:
"As good a way as any to die, I suppose."

Then more loudly, "Ek sal jou terug kyk, as jy kyk na my."

Orcish:
"I'll watch your back, if you'll watch mine."

Initiative 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22


Female Elf Scout 1/Fighter (Targeteer) 2

Initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

Well, Erie's rolling well so far this game...

Do the barricades provide any cover or concealment to the opposing force?


If you wanted to you could duck behind the barricades. You would count as prone and gain cover, however you would still be able to use your bow at a -2 penalty.


Female Elf Scout 1/Fighter (Targeteer) 2

In the (likely) event Erie won initiative, she will dash to L15 and loose a shot at the southernmost orc before dropping into cover (free action to drop prone).

Attack roll vs southern orc: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
If attack hits: 1d6 ⇒ 6 piercing damage


Male Dwarf Rogue (scout) 4

Was there a combat map posted somewhere?


Female Elf Scout 1/Fighter (Targeteer) 2
Kjolmar Greyhelm wrote:
Was there a combat map posted somewhere?

Check Caleth's second-most recent post for the Arena Map.


Male Dwarf Rogue (scout) 4
DM Caleth wrote:

After a moment and at a signal from a red dragon sitting atop the most prominent pillar, a deep horn blast sounds and the crowd goes as close to silent as you have heard them, waiting for the bloodshed to begin.

Roll Intitiative

** spoiler omitted **

Arena Map
The pit in the center is the opening of another elevator like the one you came up in. The barriers are low barricades. They count as difficult terrain, but can be ignored while moving with a DC 15 Acrobatics check.

The url was omitted for me, I only found it once I tried to quote.


Male Dwarf Rogue (scout) 4

The squat man takes off toward the enemy group, sword in hand. He runs alongside the barricade, then scoots through the gap between it and the other barricade.

Double move, to L9.


Male Human Soulbolt 4

When my turn comes up, I will 5-foot step to I 15, Manifest my mind bolt as a move action, and attack as a standard. I will be attacking the orc in H5, using Deadly Aim, -1, +2

To hit:1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
Damage:1d10 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Well, that wasn't very good damage, was it? Anyway, if it matters, the damage is Slashing.

As Quodak steps forward, a dense heat haze forms around his hands, and a projectile seemingly made of steam is launched at the orc. It has an easily distinguished, guillotine-like blade.


Profile not in use

Hearing Moredrel speak Orcish Krathok grins toothily

Orcish:
"Watch back, yes"
then concentrates a moment as Moredrel feels as though wispy tendrils are filtering into his brain. Adding Moredrel to my collective as a standard action when able.

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

I can't see the map at work, so I hope Caleth is alright with me qualitatively describing my actions and movement.


Initiative:
Erie 26
Moredrel 22
Orion 18
Kjolmar 13
Quodak 9
Enemy 7
Krathok 7


Orion takes a double move and running leap to end his move in K9 Next to the dwarf WIth his mace at the ready.
As he jumps his wings open and he catches the air easily making the leap.
Jump1d20 + 14 ⇒ (6) + 14 = 20

1 to 50 of 1,520 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Caleth's Bronze Age: An Inheritance of Dragons All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.