Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM CH-P's CoT: The Bastards of Erebus

Game Master Are


7,801 to 7,850 of 10,990 << first < prev | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | next > last >>

Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

He's posting from work on his lunch break on a pretty archaic smartphone. Editing posts can be tough for him.

In any event, both his d20s were natural 1s so it doesn't really matter.

Hastened and inspired by his little brother's song, Maddok surges forward, closely behind Xerath's firey rays. He closes the gap, fearless of the creature's whipping tendrils, and brings his hammer up in a rising uppercut.

Hammer: 1d20 + 13 + 1 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 13 + 1 + 1 + 2 = 30
Damage: 1d20 + 18 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 18 + 2 = 26
Concealment: 1d100 ⇒ 62

"Speak!"


Ah, I see. And upon further examination I see you're right; both d20's are 1's.

***

Both of Xerath's rays fly high and wide, completely missing the nihiloi.

While the creature's haze of whipping tendrils lash Maddok savagely, a part of the creature's shadowstuff focuses into a solid tentacle that stretches out to slam the approaching warrior.

Reflex vs tendrils: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11
Tendril damage: 4d6 + 3 ⇒ (2, 5, 3, 5) + 3 = 18

Slam AoO: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (14) + 13 = 27
AoO damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Maddok suffers 18 damage from the tendrils (14 when aid is taken into account), while the slam misses.

His hammer retaliates, swinging satisfyingly into some of the nihiloi's most solid bits of shadow.

The alien voice responds in Maddok's mind. "?the shadowhunter ... i gave her to my god's servant ..."


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

Round 1

Appario looks confused, but his anger rises quickly as he focuses on the nihiloi.

"This one took Tarvi?" Appario asks of no one in particular.

Appario begins a spring attack on the creature, seeking to end in J27.

"Tell us where the woman is and we'll spare you us sticking the Morrowfall so far up your dark posterior that the spawn of the shadow realm change your name from the Shadowmaster to Lord LampShade."

1d20 + 15 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 15 + 1 = 32 to hit;
1d10 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16 damage;
1d100 ⇒ 60 conceal (1-20 bad)


Appario receives the same mental response as Maddok, simultaneously.

***

Like Maddok before him, Appario is savaged by the nihiloi's tendrils on his way towards it.

Reflex vs tendrils: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20
Tendril damage: 4d6 + 3 ⇒ (4, 3, 6, 6) + 3 = 22

Appario takes 22 damage from the lashing tendrils (18 when aid is taken into account).

His sword slices deep into the creature as he dances in to strike.


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Maddok hisses as the tendrils flay him.

"Servant of your god? That was a mistake you will not live to regret."

That hurts. We're going to want to kill this quickly.


I forgot to apply haste's Reflex bonus, but it wouldn't have made a difference. I added 2 points of damage from Appario's attack due to inspire courage.

I assumed Appario didn't want to jump into the muck at the end of his move, so I placed him at J28 instead. Please correct me if this assumption is wrong.

***

>>>Current Map<<<

There's dim light until column 19 (except L23-I26, where there's normal light), and supernatural darkness beyond that point.

The nihiloi is 5 ft above ground level; its umbral haze surrounds it at a 10-ft range.

Up next: Yahirma.


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

Does a save of 23 make a difference? Appario has the Circle Prot Evil on and no other Resist bonii. Haste is dodge, I think. And ack! Forgot bard song damage.
Edit: J28, yes!


23 would have made a difference, except the nihiloi is no more evil than the dark folk :)

Don't worry, though, there will be evil creatures elsewhere in this dungeon you'll want to have that resistance bonus for!


Female Changeling (Mauxi Mwangi) Mwangi Spiritualist 12

"I think we found the diseas-" Yahirma begins before being doused in shadowy flames. "-oun philow theu!" she concludes profanely after blinking away the illusory assault. "Epi auton!" she demands of her allied shadow before evoking a burst of sound strong enough to rival the stench of the room.

Sound burst behind the nihiloi in the hopes of pinning it down for another round. Misfortune (and some crossed fingers) applies.

The shadow grudgingly moves to G-26 on level with the nihiloi (almost certainly provoking), where it reaches out and samples the taste of shadowflesh.

Touch: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24
Str damage: 1d8 ⇒ 8
Concealment?: 1d100 ⇒ 75


No diseased one yet, but it's close :)

***

Fortitude vs stunning: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14

Sound burst damage: 1d8 ⇒ 3

The nihiloi is suspended in the air following the powerful sound burst.

***

The greater shadow, like Appario and Maddok before it, is lashed by the tendrils surrounding the nihiloi.

Reflex vs tendrils: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Tendril damage: 4d6 + 3 ⇒ (6, 3, 4, 2) + 3 = 18

The shadow takes 9 damage from the supernatural tendrils, before its energy-laden touch saps the nihiloi's strength.

***

Unable to move, the nihiloi remains frozen in place. A few of the wounds covering its body close, however.

***

The splashing of a huge creature striding forward through the muck is suddenly heard coming from the west. About a third of a massively-sized otyugh, with disease-postules and boils covering its huge tentacles, peeks out from the area of supernatural darkness.

It shouts out happily. "I HEARD NOISES! HAVE YOU BROUGHT DELICIOUS FOOD FOR VARPNALL?"

***

>>>Current Map<<<

There's dim light until column 19 (except L23-I26, where there's normal light), and supernatural darkness beyond that point.

The nihiloi (and the greater shadow) is 5 ft above ground level; its umbral haze surrounds it at a 10-ft range.

Up next: The PCs.


Knowledge (dungeoneering) DC 14 provides all the Bestiary-information on otyughs, but also makes it clear that this creature is larger and apparently more intelligent than an ordinary otyugh. Regular otyughs also wouldn't be covered with boils and postules like this one.


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

The archon swiftly drifts over to Appario and renews his blessing.

Appario Aid: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Maddok's fury reaches a boiling point and the big Shoanti roars before smashing into the stunned shadow lord with a series of thundering blows.

Rage 8/18

Primary: 1d20 + 17 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 17 + 4 = 31
Damage: 1d6 + 23 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 23 + 2 = 29
Concealment: 1d100 ⇒ 32

Iterative: 1d20 + 12 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 12 + 4 = 31
Damage: 1d6 + 23 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 23 + 2 = 27
Concealment: 1d100 ⇒ 48

Haste: 1d20 + 17 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 17 + 4 = 34
Damage: 1d6 + 23 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 23 + 2 = 30
Concealment: 1d100 ⇒ 86


Female Changeling (Mauxi Mwangi) Mwangi Spiritualist 12

Yahirma makes a clawing motion as if violently pulling strings on a marionette. The shadow obliges by swiping at the stunned nihiloi.

Shadow touch: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (10) + 13 = 23
Str damage: 1d8 ⇒ 2

Knowledge (dungeoneering) — maximum 10: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

She stares dumbfoundedly, barely registering the abhorrent degree of the monster's abomination. An aberration, she thinks to herself, is likely not a friend.

As she moves forward (H-30) and begins casting a spell, she adds, but when has that ever stopped me?

Yahirma readies an action to cast charm monster on the otyugh once it is in range. It's your call as to whether or not the group is presently "threatening" the creature.

She makes a calming gesture to Xerath as if to buy a moment to see if this works.

Guilty as ever of recruiting the enemy...


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

Round 2

"What? Food? Yes, we have 2 or 3 huge lobsters in the lake area. Big ones, too. This shadow thing got in our way.". Appario tries to answer the beast.

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12 Diplomacy

"Once this thing is out of our way, we can go get your food."

Appario will spring attack the nihiloi again (ending in H29).

1d20 + 15 + 2 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 15 + 2 + 1 = 27 to hit;
1d10 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 6 + 2 = 11 damage;
1d100 ⇒ 44 conceal, high is good.

1d20 + 12 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 12 + 1 = 24 Reflex, if necessary

"C'mon, Derek, tell him about the lobsters."


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

If Maddok (or anyone else this round) drops the nihiloi. Maddok would like to try to grab its falling body to keep it from sinking into the muck.


Reflex vs tendrils (Maddok): 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 7 + 1 = 21 (+1: haste)
Reflex vs tendrils (greater shadow): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (8) + 8 = 16

Tendril damage (Maddok): 4d6 + 3 - 4 ⇒ (5, 6, 1, 2) + 3 - 4 = 13 (-4: strength damage)
Tendril damage (greater shadow): 4d6 + 3 - 4 ⇒ (4, 4, 1, 6) + 3 - 4 = 14 (-4: strength damage)

While Appario easily dances and weaves his way past the nihiloi's whipping tendrils, Maddok suffers 13 damage and the greater shadow suffers 7 damage from their vicious lashings. The tendrils seem less forceful after the shadow's touch.

The combined assaults of Maddok and Appario come very close to annihilating the nihiloi, but it hangs on to life by a thread.

The shadow's touch weakens it further; its strength seems to wither away before your eyes.

***

Map and otyugh-response when I no longer have a cat on my lap :)

Up next: Derek and Xerath. I'll roll for Derek's stated searing light once Xerath has posted, unless Derek posts himself before then.


The otyugh seems absolutely delighted by the prospect of eating lobster, and its tentacles weave about in some sort of weird happy-dance. "LOBSTER! VARPNALL HASN'T TASTED LOVELY LOBSTER FOR MANY YEARS!"

A trace of doubt creeps into its voice. "ARE THEY FRESH? OR LIKE THE HALF-ROTTEN FOOD VARPNALL HAS BEEN GIVEN RECENTLY?"

***

>>>Current Map<<<

There's dim light until column 19 (except L23-I26, where there's normal light), and supernatural darkness beyond that point.

The nihiloi (and the greater shadow) is 5 ft above ground level; its umbral haze surrounds it at a 10-ft range.


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

Derek smiles, glad to see the wicked shadow lord gets it's just desserts, but seeing that it is not yet completely annihilated, he aims the morrowfall at it and snarls.
"No, YOU fall now!"

Searing light: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29
Damage: 5d8 ⇒ (5, 4, 8, 7, 7) = 31

Heading Appario speak, he is for a moment confused as to what he means.
Ah, the Chuul!

"Lobster indeed, and so fresh as to almost be kicking, you would not find much fresher than that, you can believe me in this."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (4) + 15 = 19


The ray of light sent forth from the Morrowfall sears every last bit of shadowy flesh from the nihiloi's body, sending its remains plummeting towards the bog-like muck.

Reflex to catch: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 7 + 1 = 26 (+1: haste)

Strength to hold on without falling along with it: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Maddok is able to react quickly enough to catch the nihiloi's remains, and succeeds at keeping his footing with the added weight in his arms.


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Maddok grunts with the effort as the nihiloi plummets into his arms.

"Nice shot little brother", the big Shoanti comments.

"Now what of our tentacled friend here?", he asks with aggression still obvious in his voice.


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

Xerath watches this new tentacled creature very carefully. "We're going to befriend this one aren't we?" He asks as if he didn't already know the answer.


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

I'm not sure if we're still in combat or not. If not:

Maddok hefts the nihiloi's remains onto the platform behind himself.

"Varpnell is it? How long have they kept you down here?"


Female Changeling (Mauxi Mwangi) Mwangi Spiritualist 12

An otyugh connosieur! How impressive!

Yahirma looks to Maddok with some confusion as he makes the first (to her) coherent remark since combat began. "Wait, he's our friend? But I haven't even..." she whispers while getting her bearings.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 9 + 2 = 31

Oh, those were negotiations, not battle-cries.

"I have never seen lobster so fresh, and it's kept in a tank nearby," Yahirma adds with a slightly worried glance back at the doors and an attempt to judge whether the pustule-covered behemoth might fit through them. "Befriend it, Xerath? Can't you tell that we've always been its friend?" she adds with a wink as an aside to the blue-hooded arcanist. Turning back to the otyugh she builds upon her narrative by adding, "It is difficult to believe that the ones who have been feeding you never told you about the lobsters that they were keeping for themselves! Why, I have half a mind to march up to them and tell them how disappointed I am!"

Deflating slightly, she sheepishly admits, "Oh, but they would just push me around because they're bigger and stronger than I am. Why, I bet even now they're laughing about how much good food they're keeping from us."

Diplomacy to improve attitude: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

Xerath just sighs. "Of course, what was I thinking?"


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

Derek carefully angles forward so he stands close to Yahirma, then he bends down and begins to check his shoes, hiding his mouth from the Otyugh as he whispers to Yahirma.

"Good, but don't lay it on too thick, we don't know HOW smart this..aberration of aberrations is, he may sound a bit like a big child, but children can be pretty loyal to those it sees as parents.
Still, you are very skilled at this, almost bardlike."

Here he stands up and gives Yahirma a wink and a grin.


The huge aberration edges closer, until it's entire apparently disease-ridden body is outside the supernatural darkness.

Its tooth-filled grin waters upon hearing Derek speaking of the lobsters' freshness. "VARPNALL LONGS TO TASTE THEM!"

The otyugh regards Maddok with huge eyes. "NO! IT'S VARPNALL. NOT VARPNELL! HOW LONG? VARPNALL STOPPED COUNTING THE TURNING OF YEARS A LONG TIME AGO."

Varpnall listens to Yahirma with it's tentacles forming something looking much like a frown. "THEY HAVE NOT TOLD VARPNALL OF ANY LOBSTERS! THE NEW ONES HAVE ONLY BROUGHT DEAD, ROTTING THIEVES FOR MANY WEEKS! THEY MUST THINK VARPNALL IS NOT TO BE FEARED, SINCE HIS DISEASES DON'T AFFECT THEM."

***

>>>Current Map<<<


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Maddok regards the giant monstrosity with slowly growing alarm.

"Apologies 'VARPNALL'. We are about to set things right with those that have wronged you as they have wronged us as well. In the meantime why not enjoy the lobster?"

Maddok picks up the nihiloi's remains again, takes a step back, and points down the hall the way the party came.

Is it going to be able to squeeze down there?

"Why don't we make room for our new friend?"


It will be able to squeeze through the hallway.

***

The huge creature shakes its head. "YOU DON'T WANT TO BE CLOSER TO VARPNALL THAN YOU ARE NOW. HIS BREATH WILL GIVE YOU PLAGUE AND SET YOUR MIND ON FIRE." Its tentacles makes movements like some sort of apologetic shrug. "IT HAS HAPPENED BEFORE, UNTIL VARPNALL LEARNED HOW CLOSE TO OTHER LIVING CREATURES HE COULD BE."


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Maddok gives the creature a wide berth and motions for the others to do the same.

"We appreciate the warning VARPNALL. Enjoy your meal."

Here's hoping he kills the other chuul for us too.


I doubt the remaining chuul will be able to withstand it; even though it could easily out-swim the otyugh, and might manage to stay out of the otyugh's 20-ft reach, there would be the little problem of two DC 24 Fortitude saves vs instant-onset diseases any time the otyugh got within 30 ft of it :)

***

The creature moves its tentacles about, perhaps using them to measure distance, then points north with one. "GO THERE! NO, FURTHER. ALL THE WAY TO THE WALL."

Once it's satisfied with the group's positioning, it begins moving. First south, where it skirts alongside the cavern wall until it reaches the stone platform. Then it half-climbs, half-slithers onto the stone.

Before continuing on, it turns its regard to the group again. "VARPNALL THANKS YOU! HE WILL ENJOY THE LOBSTERS!" Its tentacles wave goodbye, before it remembers to caution the group. "YOU MUST WAIT UNTIL VARPNALL IS GONE BEFORE YOU GO THIS WAY."

It then slowly squeezes through the doorway, leaving globs of muck in its wake as it lumbers into the winch-room and then squeezes its way through the hallway. A little less than a minute later, you hear a huge splash from the south, as if Varpnall just jumped into the lake.

***

The archon vanishes during the conversation with Varpnall, along with its aid spells, Derek's haste, and Maddok's shield.

Judging by how much of Varpnall was visible while he was in the muck compared to once he climbed onto the stone platform, you'd judge the muck to be waist-deep for Medium-sized creatures in most areas.


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Maddok considers asking Derek or Yahirma to magically scan the sea of filth but decides against it. There was vengeance to be had.

But first...

The big Shoanti chants and summons forth more spiritual aid.

Shoanti wrote:
"Spirits of the Guardians - whose faithful guard the stream of time where all souls grow. Maddok of the Hawk Clan calls upon you! Send one of your dutiful warriors to aid us in our time of need."

Summoning a hound archon in dog form. Last one for the day.

Maddok instructs the canine spirit to stay central to the group and guard them with his aura. The hound nods and them blesses each member of the party.

Maddok: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Derek: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Yahirma: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Appario: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Xerath: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Archon: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Once everyone is protected, Maddok leads the party to the eastbound doors in the previous room.


Female Changeling (Mauxi Mwangi) Mwangi Spiritualist 12

Juggling props, Yahirma pulls out a nearly spent wand and administers what healing the device can provide.

Wand of CLW for Maddok: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Wand of CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Wand of CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Wand of CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Wand of CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Wand of CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Wand of CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Wand of CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Wand of CLW for Appario: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Wand of CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Wand of CLW: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Like a restaurant-goer tapping the bottom of a ketchup bottle to check for any trace remnants, after experimentally flicking the wand a few more times, Yahirma gives it up for spent and places it back in her pack.

Still making an effort to breath through her mouth, Yahirma turns to the others and says, "The first shadow spoke of others like himself as well as shadow rats. As extraordinary a combatant as this shadow is, I feel it would be better to be rid of it and me ready to possess any other undead we meet." Beckoning for it to approach, she salutes it and acknowledges its service and future freedom. "What was done is now done, and you will be free to remember the world as a liberated spirit, not one bound by shadow. Maddok, would you be so kind?" she concludes making a chopping motion towards the greater shadow.

She draws the wand of deathward and uses a weapon cord to attach it to her right hand, and to her left she ties her new rod of reach, lesser.

Shadow rats, shadows, the lover, and the master... I don't think I want to witness any of their wrath hand-to-hand.


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

"Thank you, Yahirma." Appario says as his wounds heal.

"What a strange creature that thing was...a servant motivated by nothing but food, happy to skulk in the muck. I like him."


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Maddok nods in thanks as his wounds are healed as well. The scars would match well with ones he already bore.

The Shoanti pulls his shadowsteel bastard sword at Yahirma's request.

"I will ask the spirits to help you find what peace you can", Maddok says as Shadowbinder sings to decapitate the bound shadow.


After Yahirma's wanding, the remaining injuries are: Derek 20 damage, Maddok 1 damage, Xerath 4 damage.

Maddok easily destroys the bound shadow.

***

A short hallway from the eastbound doors leads to a chamber filled with the stench of death and decay. At least three dozen corpses in various states of decomposition have been haphazardly thrown to rest against the walls or splayed along the floor, while a few broken boxes and crates are stacked in the south-east corner.

Perhaps even more disconcerting than the decomposing corpses is the vast amount of shadowy, red-eyed rats surging silently over and through them, more than a thousand in number.

***

These are incorporeal shadow rat swarms, like the single swarm you faced in Walcourt the day before.

***

Initiative checks:

Initiative (Appario): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Initiative (Derek): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Initiative (Maddok): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Initiative (Xerath): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Initiative (Yahirma): 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Initiative (Shadow Rat Swarms): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15

Current Initiative order:
15 - Shadow Rat Swarms
13 - Derek
12 - Appario and Maddok (w/archon)
10 - Xerath
5 - Yahirma

***

The rats surge forward quickly, swarming over the group.

Strength damage (swarm #1; archon,Yahirma): 1d4 ⇒ 2
Strength damage (swarm #2; archon,Yahirma,Appario,Xerath): 1d4 ⇒ 3
Strength damage (swarm #3; Appario,Xerath,Maddok,Derek): 1d4 ⇒ 2
Strength damage (swarm #4; Maddok, Derek): 1d4 ⇒ 4

Appario, Xerath, Yahirma, and the archon all take 5 Strength damage.
Derek and Maddok both take 6 Strength damage.

***

>>>Current Map, East-aligned View<<<

>>>Current Map, West-aligned View<<<

Up next: The PCs. There are 4 swarms, but in their incorporeal-ness they don't cause distraction.


>>>Link to post with knowledge check results<<<


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Maddok hisses as the swarm of rats tear not at his flesh, but his very spirit. He calls the archon to his side, takes a step back, and then hacks at the nearest swarm with Shadowbinder.

The archon moves to F43. Maddok steps to G42.

Shadowbinder: 1d20 + 12 + 1 - 3 ⇒ (20) + 12 + 1 - 3 = 30
Damage: 1d10 + 17 - 4 ⇒ (4) + 17 - 4 = 17

"Little brother, withdraw!"


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

Xerath steps into H39 and throws an ectoplasmic lightming bolt at 3(4 if u let me include the swarm in my square) swarms and Appario.

9d6 ⇒ (5, 1, 6, 1, 3, 4, 1, 1, 1) = 23 DC is 18.


Maddok slices through some of the shadowy rats nearest him, but the amount of rats remaining still seems never-ending.

***

Reflex vs ectoplasmic lightning bolt (Appario): 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13
Reflex vs ectoplasmic lightning bolt (swarm #2): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22
Reflex vs ectoplasmic lightning bolt (swarm #3): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Reflex vs ectoplasmic lightning bolt (swarm #4): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Appario suffers 23 damage from the lightning bolt (13 once aid is taken into account).

Rats die by the hundreds as one swarm takes 34 damage, while the two other swarms each take 17 damage. All of the swarms remain, however.


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Peter's Text: "Tell him I said yes."

Also, these might be worthy of a misfortune. =P


>>>Current Map, East-aligned View<<<

Up next: Appario, Derek, Yahirma.


Maddok wrote:
Peter's Text: "Tell him I said yes."

I changed my mind on allowing it after reading the Magic rules again; lines must go away from the caster :)


Female Changeling (Mauxi Mwangi) Mwangi Spiritualist 12

Pulled between saving Appario from the burst of electricity and driving the rats into it, Yahirma elects to pursue the latter.

Swarm #4 Reflex revisited: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

Not waiting to see if it changed anything, she moves away as quickly as possible while brushing off the clinging rats. Once she clears the area (D-36), she presents a set of sacred talismans and tries to will the swarms to stand down.

Channel energy to Control Undead (DC 21) should hit Swarms 1-3. If I must choose, I favor Swarms 2, 1, and 3 in that order.


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

DM Are, would I have still taken the damage if I had been on my computer and been able to move with Maddok on my initiative? Seems that I'm taking damage before I even get to take my turn because I had dared go to dinner with my wife.

Appario moves away.


As Yahirma bids her spirits to pull some of the rats into the arc of lightning, several hundred more rats perish. The remnants of that particular swarm scurry away as quickly as possible, vanishing into the walls.

***

Will vs undead servitude (swarm #1): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Will vs undead servitude (swarm #2): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Will vs undead servitude (swarm #3): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

Yahirma gains a host of new undead servants, as the central of the three remaining swarms falls under her control.


Appario Lind wrote:
DM Are, would I have still taken the damage if I had been on my computer and been able to move with Maddok on my initiative? Seems that I'm taking damage before I even get to take my turn because I had dared go to dinner with my wife.

Sure, move away before the lightning bolt if you wish :)

The positive attributes of having an "actions are taken in order of posting when all the PCs act before the enemies get to act again" system are pretty good, most of the time, though.


Female Changeling (Mauxi Mwangi) Mwangi Spiritualist 12

It seems a fair point, particularly as Xerath is penultimate in the initiative order.

Yahirma commands the rats to stay still.


I would suggest commanding them to move, as they'll otherwise still be on top of Xerath on their next turn.

***

>>>Current Map<<<

The blue-squared swarm is commanded by Yahirma.

Up next: Derek.


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12
DM Are wrote:
Sure, move away before the lightning bolt if you wish :)

Thanks for understanding. I do wish. :) In the past, most of our party has been more considerate to instances like this to state intelligent and wise things like: "When Appario moves, I blast the area," and the like. Moving on...

Appario moves away, trying to figure out a solution to the rats.

"Yahirma, should I drink your elixir now?! And don't give me that crazy talk language either! I want a simple yes/no answer this time!"


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20
DM Are wrote:
The positive attributes of having an "actions are taken in order of posting when all the PCs act before the enemies get to act again" system are pretty good, most of the time, though.

Agreed x1000

7,801 to 7,850 of 10,990 << first < prev | 152 | 153 | 154 | 155 | 156 | 157 | 158 | 159 | 160 | 161 | 162 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM CH-P's CoT: The Bastards of Erebus All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.