Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM CH-P's CoT: The Bastards of Erebus

Game Master Are


7,151 to 7,200 of 10,990 << first < prev | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | next > last >>

Ancient Shoanti War Spirit 12 | 148/148 hp + 81/81 temps, Init +2, AC 33 (40 with barkskin, shield, and haste, +1 near Derek) [touch 15, FF 31], Fort +18, Ref +11, Will +14; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 6/6 | 2nd 5/5 | 3rd 4/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

The Beast roars to silence the bickering that threatens to distract him while he hunts for the remaining stalker.

Shoanti:
"ENOUGH! ONE FOE REMAINS!"

As the nimble darkfolk tries to skirt past him, Shu-Ak’eh-Di dips his head dropping his horns in place to trip it.

Trip via Horns (provoking): 1d20 + 18 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 18 + 1 = 32

Assuming that worked.

Turning to face his sprawled out foe, the bestial spirit slams him repeatedly into the ground.

Primary: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (9) + 15 = 24
Primary Dmg: 1d6 + 19 ⇒ (6) + 19 = 25
Iterative: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25
Iterative Dmg: 1d6 + 19 ⇒ (6) + 19 = 25
Hoof I: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 8 + 1 = 15
Hoof I Dmg: 1d4 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 6 + 1 = 10
Hoof II: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 8 + 1 = 18
Hoof II Dmg: 1d4 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 6 + 1 = 8
Horns: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 8 + 1 = 20
Horns Dmg: 1d6 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 1 = 9


Okay, okay! I'll assume Appario attempts to lend an unappreciated helping hand, then, while Yahirma guides the rope to a safe spot for Xerath to drop down on :)

***

As The Beast lowers his horns in the attempt at tripping it, the stalker tries to slide a sword into the horned creature's side.

Short sword AoO: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (1) + 16 = 17
AoO damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Miss chance: 1d100 ⇒ 6 (1-20: miss; 21-100: hit)

The stalker's sword slices through the shadowy air surrounding The Beast, while the horns tangle its legs and causes it to fall prone.

The Beast's hammering crushes the stalker into a mushy pulp, which promptly explodes into an expanding ball of fire.

Reflex (The Beast): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
Reflex (Xerath): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
Reflex (Yahirma): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Fire damage: 3d6 ⇒ (4, 1, 4) = 9

Yahirma manages to evade the fireball, while Xerath's protection keeps him safe. The Beast, however, takes 9 damage.

***

No enemies remain.


Ancient Shoanti War Spirit 12 | 148/148 hp + 81/81 temps, Init +2, AC 33 (40 with barkskin, shield, and haste, +1 near Derek) [touch 15, FF 31], Fort +18, Ref +11, Will +14; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 6/6 | 2nd 5/5 | 3rd 4/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

The Beast reaches within his shadowy form and retrieves Maddok's totem to mend the spiritstuff of his form once again.

1d10 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
1d10 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 1 = 10

Returning to the rescue attempt, he growls and snarls while jabbing a blurred meaty digit at Xerath and Appario.

Shoanti:
"ENOUGH. YOUR POINTLESS YAPPING OFFENDS US. SEE TO YOUR WOUNDS. THERE IS MORE BATTLE TO BE HAD."


DM rolls:

Perception (The Beast): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Perception (Xerath): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

***

>>>Ground Floor Overview Map<<<


Ancient Shoanti War Spirit 12 | 148/148 hp + 81/81 temps, Init +2, AC 33 (40 with barkskin, shield, and haste, +1 near Derek) [touch 15, FF 31], Fort +18, Ref +11, Will +14; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 6/6 | 2nd 5/5 | 3rd 4/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Once everyone's healed up and the loot's been collected, Shu-Ak’eh-Di follows the route the stalker had been fleeing and opens the door.


The door is already open.

Loot: Two masterwork short swords, five masterwork daggers, a suit of +2 leather armor, multiple regular daggers, several doses of black smear poison.


Ancient Shoanti War Spirit 12 | 148/148 hp + 81/81 temps, Init +2, AC 33 (40 with barkskin, shield, and haste, +1 near Derek) [touch 15, FF 31], Fort +18, Ref +11, Will +14; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 6/6 | 2nd 5/5 | 3rd 4/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

We're going to corner the market on masterwork short swords and dagger once we're out of here.

The Beast advances down the hall.


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

Doesn't flooding the market with them make them worth less?

Xerath will follow right behind the beast.


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

Shoanti:
"Hold on...brother, we have little magic left for healing, and some of us suffers the effect of the trechery of poison. More than that, I am afraid you forget how weak we are compared to you, our mortal frames do not sustain us with quite as much vitality as you.
But if you want to continue, I am with you, my body may be weak, but my will is not."


Ancient Shoanti War Spirit 12 | 148/148 hp + 81/81 temps, Init +2, AC 33 (40 with barkskin, shield, and haste, +1 near Derek) [touch 15, FF 31], Fort +18, Ref +11, Will +14; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 6/6 | 2nd 5/5 | 3rd 4/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Yeah, maybe we'll have to trickle them in a few at a time. Appario would know better.

Shu-Ak’eh-Di reaches within his shadowy form and produces two potions which he offers to Derek.

Shoanti:
"STAY STRONG BROTHER. THERE ARE STILL MANY FOES TO SLAY"

That's two potions of Lesser Restoration. Derek still has that wands and an assortment of potions of his own. Don't be stingy with the consumables!


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

Haha, sorry, it's the old 2nd edition cheapness that comes in again.

Shoanti:
[/b]"Thank you, as you wish, we go on."[/b]

"Xerath, let me see to your wounds."
Cure serious wounds: 3d8 + 5 ⇒ (5, 2, 6) + 5 = 18
And one for Derek: 3d8 + 5 ⇒ (6, 2, 7) + 5 = 20
Lesser restoration potion: 1d4 ⇒ 3

"Did the poison on the spikes get you too Xerath? Do you want the other one?"


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

Definitely.

"I am fine, it's just a scratch. Save your wand and your potions. I am tough enough to resist such things. I also have my own in any case. Though I appreciate the offer." That last sentence made Xerath feel visibly uncomfortable.


That leaves Appario having taken 1 STR damage, Derek having taken 1 CON damage and 2 STR damage, and Yahirma having taken 13 damage (Xerath has only taken 5 damage, so Derek might want to use that charge to heal Yahirma instead).

***

DM rolls:

Perception (Appario): 1d20 + 11 + 1 ⇒ (9) + 11 + 1 = 21
Perception (Derek): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14
Perception (The Beast): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25
Perception (Xerath): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19


At the end of the hallway, The Beast emerges into a small chamber. He immediately notices another hidden pit trap barring the way further. Past the trap, he sees the beginning of a staircase going up towards the east.

***

>>>Current Map<<<


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

Right, we'll do that instead.

"Righto, I'm not surprised, you don't get very far in life as "Bluehood" without being able to take care of oneself."

Derek instead guzzles down the other potion himself, noting that it has a faint taste of almond, unlike the other one who was scented with elderberry.

That took care of the con damage then.

Different makes perhaps? Or someone who likes to experiment.

"Right, I feel healthier now, still a little weak, but we can work around that, strenght was never my thing in this party anyway."


Ancient Shoanti War Spirit 12 | 148/148 hp + 81/81 temps, Init +2, AC 33 (40 with barkskin, shield, and haste, +1 near Derek) [touch 15, FF 31], Fort +18, Ref +11, Will +14; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 6/6 | 2nd 5/5 | 3rd 4/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

The Beast points at the ground and growls.

Shoanti:
"ANOTHER TRAP."

The hulking spirit takes a few steps and jumps across.

Everyone should be able to take 10 to jump across. Yahirma might need a guidance plus take 10.


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

Here is hoping it's not like the last time, a trap after another.


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

"More or less."


Of course, using the levitating rope makes the whole thing trivial.

***

The staircase leads up to a vaguely octagonal chamber. There's a plaque above the staircase on this side, illuminated by a single oil lamp. The plaque reads "Your test lies beyond. Good luck, but know that only one will be admitted. How you resolve this is up to you." Several old bloodstains mar the floor of the chamber.

A door in the eastern wall leads to an elegant dining room. A huge mahogany table stands in the center of the room, surrounded by several padded chairs. Upon the table are settings for each chair, complete with crystal goblets, silverware, and fine porcelain plates. A folded card has been placed on the northernmost plate.

There's a narrow hole in the wall at Q8, and a huge guillotine blade hanging on the wall above the hole is clearly visible, set to drop onto whoever sticks their head through the hole.

If someone picks up the card, it reads:

"You have survived your first exam, and so begins your test for admission. Beyond the door to the west lies the remainder of your test. Survive and be welcome, guild brother. Die, and rest easy knowing your body becomes a lesson for your betters."

***

One might think you've entered the testing area from the wrong direction :)

***

>>>Current Map<<<


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

Picking up the card and reading it slowly Derek whistles.
"Some test, they sure do not want a large guild with lessons like this.
Talk about a narrow shave indeed..."


Ancient Shoanti War Spirit 12 | 148/148 hp + 81/81 temps, Init +2, AC 33 (40 with barkskin, shield, and haste, +1 near Derek) [touch 15, FF 31], Fort +18, Ref +11, Will +14; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 6/6 | 2nd 5/5 | 3rd 4/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

I actually think it's pretty funny that we're doing this floor of the dungeon backwards.

The Beast studies the contents of the room in confusion before becoming disinterested and pressing on.

There are no other exits to this room?


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

"It is to whittle out the weak and cowardly. I approve."


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

"That's fair, but remember, these are our enemies. We don't really want them to be nothing but the elite.
Still, at least it means that there are less cannon fodder for us to fight our way through.
Shu-Ak’eh-Di only enjoy war against the absolute best."


Ancient Shoanti War Spirit 12 | 148/148 hp + 81/81 temps, Init +2, AC 33 (40 with barkskin, shield, and haste, +1 near Derek) [touch 15, FF 31], Fort +18, Ref +11, Will +14; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 6/6 | 2nd 5/5 | 3rd 4/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

The Beast slows his implacable march and offers what one would gather is a minotaur's 'smile' at Derek's words.

Shoanti:
"THERE IS NO GLORY IN CONQUERING THE WEAK. WAR MUST BE AMONG THE WORTHY OR IT IS ONLY SLAUGHTER."


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

"Fair enough, but its the principle. I'd be insulted if they sent us their worst." "Though with Appario here, I think they'd be as well."


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

Strong principles, in his own way, Xerath is more like Shu-Ak’eh-Di than he might realize.

"Yes, You know, that being said, there can't be too many left. A building like this can only hold so many people.
Still, we should expect things to get harder from this point on, a smart leader keeps some of his best in reserve."


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

"Yes, you are most likely right."


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

"Well...I guess that was all I really wanted to say, but I think I needent have bothered, by this point I think we all know what is at stake.
Shall we move on? I'm eager to end this.
And I'm hoping we can avoid mind controling magics and poisons...but as we are looking for what we think is a master vampire...yeah..."


Ancient Shoanti War Spirit 12 | 148/148 hp + 81/81 temps, Init +2, AC 33 (40 with barkskin, shield, and haste, +1 near Derek) [touch 15, FF 31], Fort +18, Ref +11, Will +14; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 6/6 | 2nd 5/5 | 3rd 4/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Assuming there's no exits from this room it's time to start backtracking and hitting avenues we missed. It looks like there's some doors along the Northern edge we didn't open.


"The Beast of War" wrote:
There are no other exits to this room?

There are no other exits. The hole in the wall looks as if a Medium-sized creature would have to squeeze through.

***

While the group talks in the chamber, the guillotine blade suddenly drops to the ground, bloodily but cleanly severing the head of a man who had been attempting to stealthily see what was going on.

A winch begins whirring, and the blade slowly rises to its normal position.


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

"Watch it, he may not have been alone."
Derek will atempt to have a quick look through the hole to see if he is right, but without sticking his head into it, and withdrawing before the blade reaches it's apex.

I don't want the others to know, but...I found that gruesome...


Looking through the hole, which is currently dripping copious amounts of blood, Derek sees several people drawing back and away from the headless body sliding to the ground on the other side. They all make their way around a corner to the east and vanish from sight.


Ancient Shoanti War Spirit 12 | 148/148 hp + 81/81 temps, Init +2, AC 33 (40 with barkskin, shield, and haste, +1 near Derek) [touch 15, FF 31], Fort +18, Ref +11, Will +14; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 6/6 | 2nd 5/5 | 3rd 4/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Ouch. Can we get an updated overview map?

The Beast bounds back the way the party had come.

Headed to the hall of doors along the northern edge of the map.


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

"I was right, an unknown number of people just retreated to the east.
It's unknown how much they managed to see beyond the death of their companion"

Wincing a little, Derek turns over the head of the man, taking a quick look at his features.
Not more darkfolk surely?


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

"We should go after them, not let them ambush us later."


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

"True, but I am not sure how we get there, still...we can't just stand about I guess.
Let's follow Shu-Ak’eh-Di before he gets too far ahead of us."


Ancient Shoanti War Spirit 12 | 148/148 hp + 81/81 temps, Init +2, AC 33 (40 with barkskin, shield, and haste, +1 near Derek) [touch 15, FF 31], Fort +18, Ref +11, Will +14; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 6/6 | 2nd 5/5 | 3rd 4/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Assuming they're in that unknown middle section of the building, we don't know how to get in there.


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

Xerath nods his head and follows the Beast.


Then I'll want a jump check as The Beast attempts to jump up and past the large pit.

***

>>>Ground Floor Overview Map<<<


Derek determines that the head belonged to a fairly young human man.

***

If you wonder how to get in: Squeeze through the hole after Appario disables the guillotine trap.


Ancient Shoanti War Spirit 12 | 148/148 hp + 81/81 temps, Init +2, AC 33 (40 with barkskin, shield, and haste, +1 near Derek) [touch 15, FF 31], Fort +18, Ref +11, Will +14; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 6/6 | 2nd 5/5 | 3rd 4/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Is there not enough room for running jump?

Take 10 Jump: 10 + 10 = 20


Remember that the DC to jump 10 ft up is 40 on its own.. and you're combining that with a 15 ft long jump :)


Ancient Shoanti War Spirit 12 | 148/148 hp + 81/81 temps, Init +2, AC 33 (40 with barkskin, shield, and haste, +1 near Derek) [touch 15, FF 31], Fort +18, Ref +11, Will +14; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 6/6 | 2nd 5/5 | 3rd 4/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Oh you're talking about the big trap in the trap-filled room. I thought you were talking about the little one at the base of the stairs just outside the dining room area.

The Beast studies the giant blade as it resets.

It looks like we're waiting for Appario to disarm something. =P


If The Beast is determined to go that way, it could ask Yahirma nicely to borrow her levitating rope :)


Ancient Shoanti War Spirit 12 | 148/148 hp + 81/81 temps, Init +2, AC 33 (40 with barkskin, shield, and haste, +1 near Derek) [touch 15, FF 31], Fort +18, Ref +11, Will +14; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 6/6 | 2nd 5/5 | 3rd 4/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Well seeing as how he doesn't even really know where the entrance from the other side is, it makes more sense to just let Appario disarm the blade and then bull-doze his way through the doorway. Also, between Maddok and the Beast their combined weight would be very close to testing the limits of the spell's weight limit.

God, it's contagious.


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12
"The Beast of War" wrote:
God, it's contagious.

Oh, that explains why Xerath is acting like a mad cow.

Appario breaks out his lens and takes a look at the trap, then takes out his kit to disarm.

1d20 + 11 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 11 + 5 = 20 Perception
1d20 + 19 ⇒ (1) + 19 = 20 Disable Guillotine


Appario is pretty sure he succeeded at disarming the mechanism.

***

The Beast's shield spell and Yahirma's resist lightning and sanctuary spells have expired.


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

Appario puts his kit away and makes way for the suddenly calm controlled Bull.

"I think I got it. On your way now."


Ancient Shoanti War Spirit 12 | 148/148 hp + 81/81 temps, Init +2, AC 33 (40 with barkskin, shield, and haste, +1 near Derek) [touch 15, FF 31], Fort +18, Ref +11, Will +14; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 6/6 | 2nd 5/5 | 3rd 4/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Oh boy.

The Beast nods and then forces his way through the portal.


It's a good thing natural 1's aren't auto-failures on skill checks :)

***

After some struggling, The Beast manages to push its bulk through the hole. It emerges in some sort of soup kitchen. There's an unlit firepit next to the hole with a large cauldron hanging above it, and there are two long benches along the western and northern wall, with tables in front of them. Several sacks of meal and stale bread are placed near the firepit, along with casks of water.

The furniture in the room looks to be of a far lower quality and much more worn than any other furniture the group has encountered so far in the mansion.

There's a door leading further, and The Beast hears several low voices through it.

***

>>>Current Map<<<

7,151 to 7,200 of 10,990 << first < prev | 139 | 140 | 141 | 142 | 143 | 144 | 145 | 146 | 147 | 148 | 149 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM CH-P's CoT: The Bastards of Erebus All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.