Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM CH-P's CoT: The Bastards of Erebus

Game Master Are


5,451 to 5,500 of 10,990 << first < prev | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | next > last >>

Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

I updated the loot sheet including assumptions on who is going to take what. If you have any discrepencies or want to claim something otherwise noted as sold, let me know.

Update Summary:
Yahirma

Scroll of Breath of Life
Dream Journal

Derek

Scroll of Sending
Scroll of Tongues
Wine of Cure Serious (duh)

Maddok

Wine of Enlarge Person

Sold

Everything Else

Back at the Safehouse

Maddok is happy to be back at the Gardener's sanctuary but does not show it due to his preoccupied thoughts - Vahnwynne and the things left unfinished in Delvehaven.

"How fares your fledgling business, little brother?", the big man asks upon seeing the uncharacteristically stoic Bard. "Appario, did something go wrong?"


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

Derek walks over to the Dottari guards and informs them of what the spirit had to say about his attackers.
Then, he also mentions that the spirit overheard the name of the assassin AND that he was forced to watch Jalkis torture and the use of quieting needles.
Not strictly true of course, but this is useful information for them, and they don't need to know it wasn't obtained from the spirit.

Knowledge the planes: Loremaster used for a result of 36

Safehouse:
At first, Derek doesn't seem to have heard Maddok, eventually he looks up with a tired and weary expression.
"Sorry, what did you say big brother?"


Derek remembers having heard the name Liebdaga in old bard songs, referring to a powerful pit fiend devil (some times even referred to as one of the infernal dukes) held imprisoned in Westcrown to serve as a power engine for the mayor's manor.


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Maddok begins unloading the items they recovered from Delvehaven.

"What did you learn from Jalki?"


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

"Only...that someone must really have wanted to silence her...and in a painful way."
Derek sighs deeply.
"I was...too late.
I know you didn't care much for her big brother, but she did not...deserve what they did to her."

Pulling a little on his beard, Derek muses for a moment.
"You know, the new leaders of the council are really eager to end this, because they are going to free Liebdaga."

Following the blank stares that will most likely be a result from most people Derek continues.
"Believe it or not, but you remember the mayors mansion? One almost dead rumour is that it is powered by infernal energy. Turns out its true, and its worse.
There is a fiend trapped down there, but that's not all because it's a pit fiend...and that still not enough, because this pit fiend...oh yes...Happens to be an infernal duke. One of the near divine rulers of hell.
And they are going to set him free..."

I've been relying too much on others lately; I need to learn to pull my own weight.
I've been playing to my strengths, so now I need to cover my weaknesses.
I'm impetuous, so I need something that helps me think things through better. A magical item to inspire insight maybe?
And I rely on agility in a fight, so I need to be able to do more damage.
Maybe a better weapon and some training?
In Taldor they have duellists who use Falcatas...maybe that could be something for me?

"Big brother, I'd like you to make some weapons for me..."


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Maddok stares in confusion, not fully understanding the information being shared with him.

"What does the council hope to gain by freeing such a powerful creature? What's to keep his fury from turning Westcrown to ruin?

At the mention of weapons, Maddok nods.

"Yes, anything for you little brother."


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

Appario nods along as Derek what has happened, Appario's eyes and hands appraising the haul from Delvehaven.

"Looks like a decent return on your time...did you find anything regarding the Council?"

Pit Fiend? In Westcrown? Ha.


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

"We learned nothing of the Council", Maddok replies. "We encountered those dolls again and some lost souls, but nothing about the Council or a Prince of Hell."

"It sounds like the Drovenges are moving quickly then. When and where are we to strike?"


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

What would I normally do? Advocate swift action...so that means we SHOULD...
"Before we do anything, I think we should find out more about Liebdaga. As soon as it gets bright, I shall visit the libraries to do research.
We might find out something about HOW they tethered him the first time around, and knowing if he has any weaknesses would also be helpful."

"Do you know what a Falcata is big brother? And if you do, could you make me one?"


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Maddok looks to Yahirma and Xerath at the mention of a library, "There might be a better place to gather this information we need. Inside Delvehaven we found hidden chambers unspoiled by the Thrune sponsored looters and the rest of the horrors that haunt Delvehaven's halls. Within it is a small, but very well stocked, collection of tomes and manuals."

"Falcata? Yes, I've heard of them. Many say it is the greatest weapon design of all time. Do you want one made? I thought you preferred the graceful style of the rapier."


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

"Well, then I respectfully suggest we head there at first light to do some research, and if we fail to find what we need, THEN we head to a library.
To be honest, the library is probably the less useful choice, what knowledge *I* have is taken from legends anyway, so even a well stocked ORDINARY library would probably not hold much information.
...We'd need a library belonging to someone with that kind of lore, like the Academe in Korvosa, the grand library in Absolom...or...the church of...Asmodeus."

Derek draws punch line, weighing it in his hands, checking the balance and sharpness of the point.
"An elegant weapon to be sure, but I have come to realize that sometimes style is not as important as...substance..."

For a moment his face hardens considerably, and when he speaks his voice is soft and level, with a core of ice and steel running through it.
"No more...no more playing..."


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

Appario looks at Derek.

"Derek, what about the assassin? You know, the one that is either hunting us down right now or the one we should be hunting down soon?"

Appario ponders.

"We have a name and description too boot. Maybe we should go find him?"

Appario walks around the table and sits in a chair.

"I'm still finding this very hard to believe...and very disjointed. Pit Fiend? Really? Who would want to release a devil? Would the Council be in on that? Really? And what about the Drovenges? They want to do that too? That doesn't make much sense. If, I repeat *IF*, Lady Drovenge is involved, I don't see her as the sort to want to do that. If anything she wants to control things...build her own legacy. I'm not sure how deviltry fits into those plans."


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Maddok is conflicted, on one hand the Shoanti feels vindicated seeing the lighthearted bard suddenly taking their task seriously, but on the other Derek seemed somehow diminished in the big man's eyes.

"Then on the morrow, when you return to Delvehaven I will spend some time at the forge to see what secrets these materials we collected hold and begin work on your new weapon."


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

Xerath looks back and forth between Derek and Maddok as they have their conversation. "Freeing a pit fiend? Would someone fill me in on the situation? Preferably the whole story?" He seems a bit frustrated at being left in the dark about this whole thing.


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

"Then is sounds like you should go with little brother to spend time in Delvehaven's library. This is the first time any of us have heard anything about a pit fiend", Maddok says to the sorcerer.


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

"Not much into reading, but I may go anyway. Who is this council you speak of? I seem to be in the dark about this whole thing."


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

"Oh right...that assassin is also a good lead; if we catch him we can trace who gave the orders.
Because Jalki was most likely silenced by the person or person who want to free the pit fiend.
As for if the story is true or not, well they use devils for almost everything here in Cheliax...but I'll admit it's a bit of a stretch.
On the other hand, IF it is true, there WILL be records, you don't bind a lord of hell without doing a bit of bragging."

Derek then turns to Xerath.
"Starting at the beginning and keeping it short. When Westcrown was founded, a lot of the noble families were involved in one way or the other in the criminal underground.
My guess is that a council was set up eventually, with representatives from each house.
This way they could keep their own interests safe and their coffers full.
Over time this was forgotten, abandoned or whatnot, but some families still remained, and the council did too.
Now it seems that the grandchildren of the current (or former) leader of the council wants to take over in one blow.
A pit fiend would prove a valuable ally in that. But I wonder...I'm not sure he will feel he needs them since he is powerful enough to rule al of Westcrown alone should he want to, or destroy it."


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

"A pit fiend might be a powerful ally but a pit fiend that's been bound for an untold amount of time can only be unstable", Maddok suggests. "We encountered a water spirit within Delvehaven that's been trapped there since the lodge fell into ruin. His isolation drove him to madness and rage. I can only imagine what such a fate would do to a creature already filled with such corruption."


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

"Well a pit fiend would be a powerful ally. The reason a creature like a pit fiend needs mortals is simple. He needs fodder and people to do his bidding. They tend to have giant egos to go with their massive frames. They like having people bowing down to them. And frankly I'm not surprised about this council being made up of nobility. They have more dark secrets than you'd believe. Thank you for telling me all this."

"Honestly, I think this Liebdaga has been biding his time. Devils are different from other outsiders. They have more patience if it means succeeding in their goals. I have a feeling this one will have his wits about him." Is his reply to Maddok's theory.


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

"Desperate people call for desperate actions, and WE have pushed back at the council haven't we..."


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

Appario looks unconvinced.

"I don't think we know anything yet...still lots of speculation build on the word of someone called the "Mother of Flies" and what we dragged out of the soul of a dead shopkeeper. I think we should hunt down the assassin. Working together, I bet our can canvas Westcrown pretty quickly."

Appario looks outside as if to figure out what time it is.

Anyone know what time it is IC?


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

I'm assuming it's late-ish.

"Perhaps little brother", Maddok replies.

Maddok peeks out the window at the dwindling daylight.

"The day grows short and we have a lot of work to do. I am going to return home.", Maddok announces. "You mentioned that the Council has an assassin moving through Westcrown? Do you believe he will target us next?"


Late-ish is correct; Each group has spent many hours at their various tasks throughout the day.

By the way, since the church of Asmodeus was mentioned: The largest temple to Asmodeus in Westcrown (the Qatada Nessudidia) is only a half-hour's walk or so south-east of the safehouse.


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

"Maybe, smith, maybe. They might target us, but not sure of that though. I don't think we've been doing a good job or a bad job keeping our actions hidden. Whomever is behind the assassin may or may not think we are a danger to them."

Appario smiles.

"While I'd like to believe we are a danger, we don't have much proof of that yet beyond our own inflated egos." Appario glances at Derek and smirks.

"For all that we think we've done, how much has really improved in Westcrown? Is free trade more protected? Is the common man have more safety and security? Are the shadowbeasts contained? Have we dealt any meaningful blow to the Council? Stopped their plans? Hard to say we've done much."


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

"I imagine they will be unhappy to learn that their attempts to silence the Mother were ruined."

Maddok looks out the window again.

"If you don't believe us to be a target, I am going to return home and get to work. I will meet the lot of you back here tomorrow evening. Hopefully, Delvehaven's library will hold the information we need."

Maddok will return to his forge and start experimenting with the blue invisibility metal and the red liquid-laced metal pulled from the summoning circle.


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

"Indeed. In any case, we should be on full alert. It would be the prudent thing to do. And honestly doing anything is doing alot. It proves that someone is willing to stand up for what they believe in, which holds more power than you realize. I will return home to rest in a little while. This has been an enlightening day. If any of you wish to return to Delvehaven's library, I would be happy to accompany you."


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

Maddok doesn't sleep well and the Shoanti is up and working at the forge not much later than dawn.

He begins with the blue metal from the disk that had the property of magically hiding creatures standing atop it from sight. Maddok had taken a smaller sample during the Gardener's first trip into the haunted Lodge and had some success rekindling the metal's magical properties. Perhaps, within this substantially larger piece, he would unlock its secrets.

As the day grows later he moves onto the strange metal laced with veins of liquid red. Retrieving this material had cost him, in blood, something that the ambient spirits watching over his work seemed to take great interest in. The Pathfinders had used the metal to construct a circle that called and bound fiendish spirits into the lodge, an affinity Maddok hoped to recreate and possibly repurpose. The Shoanti works largely blindly, functioning on intuition and trusting in the barely comprehensible whispers of Shu-Ak’eh-Di guiding his hand.

The big smith uses this experimentation as a teaching moment for his younger apprentice, Rizzardo - "A good smith must never grow too comfortable with the techniques he knows and the materials he knows; Just as a warrior must never be satisfied with his own strength. For every technique you have mastered there will be another you have not. For every foe you are strong enough to conquer there will be another stronger still.”

As the day comes to a close Maddok begins outlining specifications for Derek's weapon. Details such as the length and girth of the blade and the weight of the pommel begin to take shape, and as they do so do certain decidedly violent spirits. The task before him begins to grow heavy in the Shoanti's heart. For any other warrior such a commission would be a simple task, but for Derek this was difficult. The idea of bringing such a weapon into the world with the purpose of being wielded by his little brother felt wrong - a fact driven home by how strongly he could sense that the Beast reveled in it.

As the last of the daylight beings to dwindle, Maddok cleans up, dismisses Rizzardo, and returns to the safehouse as promised.


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

Their discussion completed, Appario makes for bed, still wondering what tomorrow's activities will be.

"Derek, let's find that assassin tomorrow. Then we can get you back to drinking and womanizing, eh? No need to let the devil rule our thoughts with worry."

Appario decides to sleep in his armor that night, keeping Extortion close should the assassin try to strike in the night.

Appario has a hard time finding sleep and resolves to find the assassin on the morrow...seems like the right thing to do next.


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

"Appario, would you like my assistance with finding this assassin you seem to suddenly be worried about or should I go with Yahirma to visit the Delvehaven library?" Xerath asks before the party goes their separate ways. He will go back to his current hideout to prepare for the following day.


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

Hmmm...
"I'm unsure where I would be most useful...on one hand, I am an expert in the field of anything related to the planes, on the other hand I am good at "tracking" in a city...it could go either way really."
Derek seems undecided, musing silently on the possibilities.


Female Changeling (Mauxi Mwangi) Mwangi Spiritualist 12

That evening

"There are many leads yet to follow and many victims yet to recompense. I know that in the conflicts to come, there will be the need for greater tools as we take the fight to the villains who have insinuated themselves within this city's roots," Yahirma adds as the meeting begins to break up. "I shall be building a few of these tools in the coming days, but I can make time to accompany anyone who risks danger in his own pursuits; chasing an assassin sounds like one of those dangerous times. I will also be going from here to Delvehaven with some frequency, and I would not mind assisting in the research."

Before the entire building settles into sleep, Yahirma gets Tarvi's attention. "I will be working on several pieces that might interest you, Tarvi," she notes, hinting at an invitation to come. "We have also secured a sizable library with texts that will need deciphering. If you pack enough to stay there for a day or two at a time - and it's not a terribly long jaunt - I will bring you with me tomorrow to begin creating magical jewelry."

The next day

Yahirma wakes up early to pick up a few things from the market - none of them seeming to cost nearly as much as they did months ago when her pockets were lighter. Upon spending roughly 100 pieces of silver between several shops that specialize in utensils and toys, she purchases a goat, two more chickens, a bucket, and a medium bag of corn and carries the lot back towards the safehouse. There, she checks in with the others, picks up Tarvi if she proves interested and ready, and greets Khazrae.

"Today is the beginning of a new era, dead Khazrae. Today we begin creating a new body."

From there she heads to Delvehaven, a severed head, a goat, and an apprentice wizard carrying two chickens in tow. Once there, she navigates the trapped walkway, ties up the goat, and releases the chickens in the courtyard where the blue disk once rested, scattering a few handfuls of seed and filling a bucket with conjured water to keep them content. Yahirma then leads Tarvi downstairs, where she introduces the woman to the resident constructs and gives the dolls an offering of toys, spoons, chalk, and other odds and ends.

Once they are placated, she proceeds towards the hidden library and helps Tarvi to get settled. Unless there's a rush to rejoin the rest of the party, Yahirma splits her time between helping Tarvi to learn how to build magical trinkets, mixing the regenerative concoction for Khazrae, and researching ways to free the trapped water elemental upstairs.

A simple spell of dismissal might work, and the well would be both expensive and unreliable in its destination. Perhaps I could instead build a tool that can send a willing extraplanar creature back to its home...?

Knowledge (Planes) with the library and Natural Divination 1d20 + 26 ⇒ (20) + 26 = 46

Yahirma will be doing some crafting and research, but she's happy to accompany people on their trips. It would certainly be good to keep the party together for the next endeavor.


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

Appario looks at Xerath.

"You want to help? Sure...it might be dangerous, of course and I can't guarantee your safety."

Appario seems pleased to have the aid.

"We leave in the morning...after morning prayers. That usually means that I recheck my ledgers from the day before for errors."


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy
Appario Lind wrote:

Appario looks at Xerath.

"You want to help? Sure...it might be dangerous, of course and I can't guarantee your safety."

Appario seems pleased to have the aid.

"We leave in the morning...after morning prayers. That usually means that I recheck my ledgers from the day before for errors."

"Well I might as well be of assistance. I can guarantee my own safety, don't worry about that. I will meet you after your prayers then." "Abadarans.."

The Next Day....

Xerath will cast his usual defensive spells before heading off to meet Appario. "Do I want to do this as Xerath or Bluehood?" He smirks to himself while he travels back to the safehouse.

Mage Armor and Empowered False Life as usual so 21.

1d10 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

Sculpting this post with an eye on information gathering today so that others, esp Yahirma who wants to come but needs a day for other activities, are available in any confrontation with the assassin.

Appario keeps his armor, Indemnity, looking more like normal clothing than the strong armor that it truly is. Extortion and his trusty darkwood shield are strapped on his back, like usual. A dark sack covers Extortion's pommel.

"Xerath, you ready? All your magicks in place?" Appario smiles at his new companion.

Detect Evil again on Xerath.

"Alight Xerath, I believe we seek information on two things. The first is an assassin or series of assassins. The description we have for him is 'with long hair and a cloak covering his face, dressed in leather from top to toe.' He recently was hired to kill a shopkeeper and a woman named Jalki."

Appario waits for that to sink in.

"We seek a location called 'Walcourt. It is said to be 'a Council guildhall that was also the same place Stiglor mentioned he would receive a room those few times he entered the city.' We believe the Drovenges may meet there as well."

Sure, Lady Drovenge is a part of this...*sure* she is.

Appario hopes he has this right.

I hope I have this right.

Do I have this right?

"To be clear, Xerath, we are not trying to take down this assassin or infiltrate the lair today, but find next steps in our search so we can amass the Gardeners together."


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

"Of course I'm ready. Are you and your Abadar ready?"

The taldan uses his god-given magic to scan the blue-hooded caster for a black heart. And again he finds nothing. It could be a lead lining in the robe preventing the power from working or it could be that Xerath is not evil at all. "Are you sure it was a man? Since no one saw 'his' face, it may be a woman with long hair."

"Walcourt? Why didn't you have this Stiglor person tell you where it is or have him show you? Yes, I am clear that we are not looking for a confrontation, just information. It would be foolish and unwise to think otherwise. Do you have a plan on how to get this information? Or are we going to ask around randomly until someone tells us or we get ambushed?"


Appario Lind wrote:
Do I have this right?

You also know the assassin's name from your previous knowledge and gather information checks. The only person known to both use quieting needles and the type of dagger that was used was an assassin called Maglin.


Female Changeling (Mauxi Mwangi) Mwangi Spiritualist 12
Yahirma wrote:
"Today is the beginning of a new era, dead Khazrae. Today we begin creating a new body."

Oh dear...that should have been "dear Khazrae." Bad mistyping...bad! I'm not aiming to antagonize the poor soul.


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

I underestimated Yahirams abilities again, Derek will be more useful in the hunt for the assassin obviously.
"Where do we being Appario?"


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

DM Are, thanks for the additional info...I knew that, but slipped my brain. :(

Appario looks at Xerath and Derek.

"Plan? You want a plan from me? No...I was going to do the bungling and asking around until I get ambushed. I do have a fair amount of contacts in the city and I may get lucky. But maybe with the three of us bungling together, we might triple our luck. Besides, nothing can possbily go wrong."

Appario pats his money purse to make sure it still there and checks his sword once last time before heading to the door.

"Are we ready to go? I think we should start the merchants first, as I know them best. Then maybe the drunkhouses, Derek, where you are well known?"

"Oh, and I'll need to stop by the Church as well...that's in the Merchant's area. Let us be off."

* * *

Appario will discretely as possible try to find information on the two leads.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20 Gather Information (Diplomacy)
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17 Gather Information (Diplomacy)
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23 Gather Information (Diplomacy)
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21 Gather Information (Diplomacy)
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24 Gather Information (Diplomacy)

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (2) + 9 = 11 Know (local)
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8 Know (nobility) - the Cot is nobility for this town

Appario will also stop by the Church to collect his finder's fee for Derek's use of the Head Banker yesterday.


Yahirma - Tarvi:

Tarvi seems surprised at suddenly being spoken to, once she realizes Yahirma is, in fact, speaking to her. She looks up from an arcane text. "Truly? That would be a grand thing, if I could learn the tricks of binding magic into jewelry. And a library, too? I will be there!"

When Yahirma comes to pick her up the following morning, she finds Tarvi both excited and ready to go, although she quickly discovers lacks in the young woman's packing skills. Her bulky pack contains more books than essentials required for a few days away from her home. With some guidance and some borrowed items (and a few mentions of "But I really like that book!"), Tarvi's pack is soon much more efficient and suitable for the task at hand.

She marvels at the features of the Lodge, and excitedly follows in Yahirma's footsteps as they navigate Khazrae's courtyard traps. Tarvi greets the dolls with a great deal of trepidation, as well as wonder at the secret of their creation. "One day I will make creatures just like them," she declares with determination as Yahirma leads her towards the hidden library, where the multitude of old books and maps quickly take her attention until Yahirma begins her teachings.

***

Yahirma - Khazrae:

Dead? I'm not dead yet. Does the mortal grant me hope while planning my destruction? Is she that cunning?

Khazrae smiles. "That is wonderful news. A new era.. Yes, that is true. It does mark the beginning of a new era. I'm very pleased."

As the erinyes head is carried to Delvehaven's basement and introduced to the dolls, she muses "These were the dolls Thrune's pathfinders were so afraid of? Odd. They seem more playful than destructive."

When Yahirma begins mixing her concoction, Khazrae keeps a keen interest in her every move. "Tell me all about the procedure. How does it work?"

***

Yahirma - Knowledge (planes):

Yahirma finds a book within the library which goes into great detail on the workings of how to travel between different realms. Several spells are discussed, and there are descriptions for how to construct a number of different wondrous items to facilitate such travel.

With her own hands-on knowledge of another plane of existence, and the aid of these descriptions and several notes someone has made here and there in the book, Yahirma is able to modify the workings of the discussed items to devise a new item to easily and reliably transport a creature to its home plane.

***

Fork of Recall

1/day as a standard action, you can stick this fork in the ground and speak the command word to transport a willing creature touching it to its home plane. The creature arrives at a random location within 500 miles of its intended destination (as plane shift).

Price 20,160 gp (crafting cost 10,080 gp)
Spellcraft DC 17


Maddok - Metal experimentation:

Over the course of his time spent experimenting with the two metals, Maddok discovers several unique features to their interaction with magic, and with the application of magic to weapons or armor created from them.

Rizzardo never strays far from his master's side during these experiments, and the youth pays keen attention to every part of the process. Maddok finds that his young apprentice is beginning to truly harness the strength of his rage, and is able to focus it in ways even Maddok himself cannot achieve.

***

The metal from the invisibility disk (which turned gray when removed from the disk) turns blue when imbued with magic, and it seems to have a great affinity for illusion magics. Maddok is able to work out that if an illusion spell is cast upon a large portion of this metal, the spell doesn't function normally. Instead, the spell will provide its effect to anyone (or anything) standing on top of the metal. The duration of this effect appears to be entirely dependent on the size of the portion of metal used, and Maddok determines it would likely be permanent on very large pieces.

The red half-liquid metal is strongly tied to the binding and destruction of extraplanar creatures. Through his experiments, Maddok finds indications that a summoning circle created in large part of this metal would allow a spellcaster to bind stronger creatures than normal (increasing the HD-limits of the planar binding spells by half).

***

The blue metal has an affinity for certain weapon and armor enhancements. When creating a sword of subtlety, or a defending, cunning, conductive, or dueling weapon, or a suit of glamered or shadow armor, the magical portion of the cost is reduced by 10% if the weapon or suit of armor is created from this metal.

When a weapon forged from the red metal strikes a non-elemental outsider, it bypasses 5 points of the outsider's DR. In addition, a magical weapon created from this metal can be given a bane (one type of outsider) enhancement at no additional cost. Weapons created from this metal are always masterwork. Using this metal adds 2,000 gp to the cost of the weapon, and an additional 3,000 gp to the cost of magically enhancing the weapon (so a +1 weapon of the red metal will cost 7,000 gp, but function as a +1 bane weapon).


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy

"Starting with the merchants sounds prudent. Though I will stand outside while you pair work the taverns. Lead the way."


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

"Hmmm...Speaking of merchants, I just recalled that I never handed in the loot I recovered from the body of the ogrekin I slew.
Maybe we could sell that along the way, it would make it seem more legitimate to anyone observing us.
Plus, if we are lucky, it may draw attention to us in case the weapon or armour is known."

Derek digs into his purse and produces the ruby he also relieved the dead orgekin of.
"But this...this doesn't belong to me. I'd say this share of the treasure was fairly earned by a little friend of mine..."
Suddenly, Derek tosses the ruby straight up into the air.
"Livia, present for you!"


Female Changeling (Mauxi Mwangi) Mwangi Spiritualist 12
DM Are (Khazrae) wrote:
"Dead? I'm not dead yet. Does the mortal grant me hope while planning my destruction? Is she that cunning?"

Ah, that was the reason for my ooc correction earlier.

In Delvehaven

Yahirma cheerfully helps Tarvi to set up in the former lodge, taking care to warn her about rooms that are - at least temporarily - off-limits (the water elemental's chamber, Bisby's study, and the two haunted chambers). "The dolls are, well to be honest, I do not know as much about the nature of the dolls as I would like. It seems each contains a soul, and I have the impression that each soul once came from a once-living creature," Yahirma admits in conversation with Tarvi. "If you can learn more about their inner workings without antagonizing them directly, I would be curious to hear about your findings."

By this point, Yahirma's tour of the grounds has brought the three of them to the kitchens, and she makes a face of disgust. "It appears that there is much cleaning to do before we can consider this place entirely fit for habitation. I may need you to perform some basic clean-up for part of your time here, but I can try to secure some help in the matter." She returns to the basement to begin her preparations of the magical fluids, but not before propping Khazrae upon a pillow once more.

"The medium is a regenerative salve of sorts, and it would require you to...steep within it for a month or two to regrow completely," she explains in response to the erinyes' inquiry. "My intention is to set up the procedure so that we might begin as quickly as possible. I do not believe that it will require any special effort on your part to perpetuate the healing, but..." She trails off in thought for a moment. With a smile slowly blossoming across her face, she hypothesizes, "It might be possible to control how your body is regrown. As a creature of the planes and one who survived containment within the crux for so many decades, your will must be considerable; it may be possible to will yourself to regenerate in a particular way. I could also commission a set of molds that could control how the limbs form."

She shrugs apologetically. "My apologies. I do not intend to speak about you as a gardener might a beloved tree. Even so, this is an opportunity to reshape your future as you see fit for whatever endeavors you expect to face. Whatever brought about your current condition might still survive and be unpleasantly surprised to learn of your revival."


Male Human (Taldan) Abadaran Militant 12

Derek, how about some rolls, eh? Or are you saving yourself for the drunkhouse?

Appario thinks about snatching the ruby, but lets it go.

It's not mine. Darn.


Male Human (Azalanti) Bard 8/Fighter 4

Sort of, let's see where your rolls take us first. Plus I want to get some milage out of Dereks darker edgier personality before I see where he evolves next.

"Let's stop by the playhouse and get the loot."


Appario, Derek, Xerath - Livia:

As the trajectory of the ruby nears its zenith, the gem suddenly stops in mid-air, as if caught by something unseen. It turns in the air accompanied by Livia's laughter, then vanishes. "Thank you! I must be an adventurer more often!"

***

Appario, Derek, Xerath - Information gathering:

Appario has no problems discovering a wealth of information on Walcourt from his many contacts in the merchant world, including its location.

Walcourt lies near the eastern shore of the largest of the central islands; Islatra. Once a social club and lodge dedicated to followers of Founder Crucisal (one of the founders of Aroden's faith, and patron to the city's ferrymen), the complex was abandoned shortly after Aroden's death. Falling into ruin over the years, the building was briefly used as an orphanage, and has later been used as a flophouse, but rumors swirl that both operations have been fronts for more sinister activities. In addition to the main building, Walcourt's grounds also house a caretaker's house.

The island is also home to the Trivardum; once the heart of power in Westcrown as the official court of the Triumvirate, the building's ground floor courtrooms and offices now function as offices for many of Westcrown's most prosperous merchants, while the second floor is filled by a popular inn, and the entire third floor is an opulent penthouse residence for the Taldan ambassador to Cheliax.

The estate of House Salisfer, third in overall influence among the noble houses of Westcrown (behind House Drovenge and House Oberigo), is also on this island.

***

Information on the assassin, Maglin, is not as easy to come by. Little is known about him (or her), but rumor has it that the skilled assassin only works for nobles and others with political influence. The whereabouts of, and how to contact, the assassin are not known, although rumors fly. Some claim Maglin resides in the dungeons of the former royal castle, others that the assassin commands rooms in several noble estates. Yet others suggest that the assassin lives as a regular person, hiding openly among the masses.


Yahirma - Tarvi:

Tarvi is less-than-excited about the prospect of needing to clean the place, but this, at least, seems to be a task she is used to performing efficiently. Perhaps as a necessary evil before she could once again return to her studies. She quickly employs both brooms and magics while setting about the task of cleansing the kitchen of decades of dust and grime.

Later, she returns to the basement and delves into the library, while keeping a close eye on Yahirma's preparations for Khazrae and the items she's going to create.

***

Yahirma - Khazrae:

The erinyes listens thoughfully to Yahirma's explanation of the process.

She seems honest about this. Perhaps she simply misspoke earlier?

Suddenly the erinyes laughs, an odd sound coming from the severed head.

Good thing she's not a demon! Entire layers have been laid to waste due to simple miscommunication!

"Let's see how the regrowth begins, before taking steps to correct my new body's molding. Perhaps, as you say, my will is strong enough to control it."

Her eyes flicker deeper red than normal as she continues. "Only months, then, before Khazrae Kuelata will be free to enact her vengeance. Unpleasantly surprised, yes.. I should hope so."

Once Yahirma moves on to her other tasks, the erinyes suddenly speaks up again. "What of you? Once I'm.. reborn. What repayment do you desire?"


Male Chelish Arcane Caster 12 HP: 123/123(+11) AC: 30 FF: 23, Touch: 22 F:+16, R:+12, W:+19 Perception:+18(Effects: Mage Armor, Heroism, Barkskin+4, False Life, Freedom of Movement, Remove Fear, Resist Energy
DM Are wrote:


As the trajectory of the ruby nears its zenith, the gem suddenly stops in mid-air, as if caught by something unseen. It turns in the air accompanied by Livia's laughter, then vanishes. "Thank you! I must be an adventurer more often!"

"Who was that? Another friend of yours?"


Male Shoanti Barbarian/Summoner 12 | 136/136 hp + 0 nonlethal, Init +2, AC 25 (29 /w barkskin) (+1 near Derek) [touch 16, FF 23], Fort +15, Ref +9, Will +12; Perception +6
Resources:
1st 5/6 | 2nd 1/5 | 3rd 1/4 | 4th 3/3 | Summon 7/7 | Rage 20/20

That evening, back at the safehouse

Maddok arrives at the safehouse that evening with Rizzardo in tow. The big man admires the youth's passion and the strength of his conviction. Did Alard see the same thing in me?

The Shoanti looks for the other Gardeners.

"So did you learn anything about Walcourt, the assassin, or the pit fiend?"

5,451 to 5,500 of 10,990 << first < prev | 105 | 106 | 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111 | 112 | 113 | 114 | 115 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM CH-P's CoT: The Bastards of Erebus All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.