Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

DM CD's Unrest in Atlus

Game Master Vethcyr


2,301 to 2,350 of 2,803 << first < prev | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | next > last >>

HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth shrugs at Martin. "You're right. About the Black Dragon and about us not completing our mission. But I think the situation has changed. We don't know who or what caused these wights to attack and leave all of these people homeless. The last thing we can do now is abandon them before we get them to shelter."

"Trust me, I want to get to the bottom of this as much as you do. But at least one of us should oversee this voyage back to Silverkeep."


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

"Good. I like The Black Dragon a lot more." Leto looks at the mass of people. "But we have a handful of warriors to protect a thousand people. I will not leave them to their fates with such a small defense. If anything were to happen to them I could not forgive myself. Whether we wanted it or not, when we agreed to enter the city and protect that tower we made these people our charges.

"We cannot abandon them when there may still be a threat to their lives. They are still our charges."

Leto looks around at the ships. " I will take the largest civilian ship, The Triumph. It is the slowest and will contain the largest number of people, making it the most vulnerable of the vessels."

"Oh! And how about I take an eagle to the ship? That way I can join the fray if I am needed and The Triumph is safe. Or I can use the eagle to simply keep tabs on the other ships if need be."


Okay, as I see it, three options have been proposed:
- Martin wants to head back to Carron and investigate Milea's presence on Windrip Isle. He argued that the survivors should be able to defend themselves as they head to Silverkeep.
- Gareth wants to follow up on the Milea angle, but not at the cost of leaving the survivors unprotected. Proposed that at least one party member helps escort convoy to Silverkeep should the others travel to Carron.
- Leto wants to focus on protecting the survivors. He argued that the whole group should stay together and escort the survivors back to Silverkeep first, and worry about other issues later.

You'll need to decide what you want to do. A party split is doable, but it could be a while before the groups reunite due to the travel distances involved.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

As much fun as a party split would be, at this point I think it makes more sense to keep the groups together. While Martin might grumble, I personally would be fine with us heading back to silver keep.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto is going to go with the people no matter what. He seems himself as being responsible for their safety.


Okay. To Silverkeep it is!

Over the next several hours, Daren rustles up a crew for the Black Dragon. You have 20 experienced sailors (ranks in the skill) and ten eager but inexperienced sailors (untrained). Among the experienced crew is Art Pookie, a veteran helmsman. You also have eleven of the musketeers with you.

Leto departs for the Triumph on his eagle, and the whole convoy sets sail in the early evening.

Fleet Order:
This is how I've arranged the fleet, but feel free to try to rearrange things.

BD
A
K
P
T
L

The Lancer patrols up and down, keeping tabs on the civilian ships while the black dragon leads.


Fleet Information:
The Black Dragon:
- Gareth, Hascya, Martin, Ankou & 3 eagles aboard.
- 30 crew, 11 musketmen, 0 passengers.
- 8 Cannons (Two bow guns, 3 on each broadside)
- Undamaged (brand new)
The Lancer:
- Daren Kuros and 30 crew (4 musketeers, 3 swordsmen)
- 0 Passengers
- 2 Ballistae
- In good repair
The Triumph
- Leto and 1 eagle aboard.
- 400 passengers (including crewmen)
- 8 swordsmen
- Unarmed
- Seaworthy, but old and slow
The Albatross
- 200 passengers (crew included)
- 4 swordsmen
- In good repair
The Kestrel
- 200 passengers (crew included)
- 4 swordsmen
- In fair shape
The Porpoise
- 200 passengers (crew included)
- 4 swordsmen
- In fair shape

I will be tracking the condition of each ship in the flotilla.


You can open both spoilers, as they're just organizational.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Did we have a chance to sleep as they readied to depart? AKA do I have my spells back?

Leto pulls out his wand of magic missile, keeping it ready as he goes about his tasks on the ship.

Sidenote: I love seagoing adventures!


No. You may only regain spells once in a 24 hour period.

Leto:
The Triumph is a big, four-deck galleon crammed with refugees and supplies. The eight guardsmen aboard her occupy most of their time sorting out those conflicts that arise between too many people in too little space. The ship herself is old, and while the wood isn't green with rot or anything, it has seen better days.

The fellow captaining this ship, Hovarth Bartum, is a fat, greasy man who nonetheless seems to know what he's doing. He directs the crewmembers loudly and is fairly abrasive to those who he perceives as getting in his way, but he gets the ship up and running in reasonably good time.

The refugees are staying below decks, at his insistence, so that his crew can work unimpeded.

Give me an in character post about what Leto does during all this.


Gareth, Hascya, and Martin:
The newly-christened Black Dragon gets underway swiftly and easily, with the experienced crewmen showing their green compatriots the ropes. The ship itself seems very quick and easy to handle, and the crew settles in well. The musketeers are a little jumpy around the eagles, but otherwise stay out of the crew's way.

Let me know what your characters do while aboard the ship.


The flotilla gets underway without overmuch drama, although the Albatross has some trouble with its rigging. While it doesn't slow the convoy, the Albatross falls behind the other caravels and keeps pace with the Triumph. The first night of travel otherwise passes uneventfully.

The morning dawns, grey and foggy, as your convoy sails north along Windrip Isle's eastern coast.

Now your spells refresh.

Secret:
RE chance: 1d100 ⇒ 29
Which? 1d100 ⇒ 45 Damaged Rigging
Time: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Ship: 1d6 ⇒ 2
RE 2 chance: 1d100 ⇒ 27
Which? 1d100 ⇒ 62
Time: 1d4 ⇒ 3

Estimated travel time: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (2) + 7 = 9


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Martin spends his mainly on the deck of the ship, again he has removed his armor in favor of some masterwork chainmail (assuming we could find some in the tower). While in general he faces forward, you can see him occasionally glance over the stern, his thoughts lingering on the island the party just left behind.


Day 2

The morning is grey and foggy. The wind allows you to keep a decent pace as you head north along the coast. The crew of the Albatross begins to repair the ship's damaged rigging. Just before noon, you spy movement through a gap in the fog. It looks like several ships.

Perception DC 20:
There are three ships, flying a black and gold flag. They're coming in from the northeast, and they turn towards your fleet. They look like warships, and they're moving fast.

Knowledge (Nobility) to identify the flag they fly. Knowledge (Engineering) to identify what kind of ships they are.


Secret:
RE 2: 1d100 ⇒ 29
Which: 1d100 ⇒ 55 Outbreak of Dysentery
Which ship: 1d6 ⇒ 4 The Triumph
Onset: 1d3 ⇒ 3 Symptoms begin on Day 5


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Perception (Leto): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Perception (Louis): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

The Triumph:

Louis whispers to Leto for a few seconds. "Attention! I just spotted three ships on the horizon! They are coming in from the northeast. They just turned to face us. They look like warships. Ready your weapons in case they are hostile! Does anyone know what it means that the flag they are flying are black and gold?!

Leto gets out his wand of unseen servant casts it once and then trades back to his wand of magic missile.

Leto casts dancing lights, sending two illuminated orbs aloft.

DM:
Sorry about being out of communication again. I have started my tutoring job and it starts at 7 am. So I am going to bed early and trying to get my law school applications in right now.


Leto:
Captain Bartum gives the ships a long look.
Knowledge (Engineering): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
Knowledge (Nobility): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

"Looks like tha elves are comin'," he says. "I don' rec'nize tha flag, bu' them ships be "wingships." Fast elf warships, packed wit' lots 'f archers. Weird ter see 'em out 'ere. Maybe they're wit' tha lass who fried tha wights?"


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Triumph:

"Maybe. Maybe not. Stay at the ready. I am going to see what they are doing." At that Leto mounts an eagle and flies up. He heads toward the other ship.


You see Leto mount his eagle and begin to fly out to the approaching ships.

Leto and anyone else who does the same:
You fly several miles to the approaching ships. As you approach, they spread out. They don't fire at you, but they have large numbers of archers on their decks.

You may attempt Knowledge (Nobility) and Knowledge (Engineering) to identify the ships if you are trained in those skills.

Now that you are closer, you can see more details. The three ships are a little longer and broader than the Black Dragon, and while pack on a bit more sail, they have no large weaponry (like ballistae or cannons).

When you get within four hundred feet of the lead vessel, an elven man wearing a black breastplate with gold trim shouts out to you with a magically amplified voice. "Identify yourselves. I am Captain Kallinol of the Imperial Knights of Sardis. You may not land or otherwise set foot aboard these vessels. What is your business in these waters?"

Sardis is a major elven city, nearly a thousand miles north of Silverkeep along the Merin'he river.
Knowledge (Geography or History) to know more about Sardis.


CORRECTION TO PREVIOUS POST:
Sardis is about 400 miles northwest of Silverkeep.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Martin doesn't even try to get a closer look, but raises an eyebrow as Leto takes to the eagles.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Approaching Ships:

Knowledge (HIstory) (About Sardis): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21
"I apologize! I can't really hover! So I will do have to do a spiral thing around the ships! I can get closer and use message so that we can talk more easily if I get within 150 feet of you! Would that be acceptable?! Don't worry! I will not land! Just want to talk! Could you please not move forward to make this conversation easier?!"


Leto:
Sardis became the capitol of the old elven empire nearly four thousand years ago. Since that time, it has been inhabited constantly, and serves as the commercial and cultural center of the empire. While for the past six hundred years the empire has shrunk and withdrawn north (Silverkeep and Goldcrest gained independence about five hundred years ago), it remains active to this day, and you've heard rumors that the empire is experiencing a period of resurgence. Increasing numbers of elven ships have been sighted along the Merin'he in recent years, but it's still rare to see even a single vessel south of Ralinor (itself some 200 miles upriver of Silverkeep).

The elven military is fiercely protective of its secrets, including their warships. You have never heard of one in non-elven hands. The crews of these vessels would almost certainly kill or imprison anyone who set foot aboard one without the commander's permission. Otherwise, the elven military is by all accounts standoffish but professional.

The Imperial Knights are an elite military order dedicated to the service of the emperor or empress. Since the last empress' disappearance twelve hundred years ago, they most often dedicate themselves to the service of high ranking nobles (usually those at or above ducal level). It is entirely possible that the order has split at times over which noble(s) to serve. That these soldiers claim to hail from Sardis may indicate that they serve one of the nobles who reside there. In any event, you've heard that the order is extremely small, so it's probable that only the commander of this ship is a member, and that he simply holds a high enough rank to order the other vessels to join him.


Approaching vessels:
"You may circle, but we will not halt our advance unless you identify yourselves." the commander says. "I ask you again: what is your purpose in these waters? Where do you hail from, and what is your destination?"

The ships continue to advance, and you notice that they move faster than the Black Dragon.

Also, there was a typo in my earlier spoiler describing the elven ships. They are longer and narrower than the Black Dragon.

Comparison: The Black Dragon versus elven warship


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Approaching Vessels:

Leto casts message so that he can communicate with the fellow speaking with him. He continues to circle. "I am Leto Anguis. These ships hail from Westwend. Which was just destroyed almost entirely. These are the survivors. We have no desire for any interaction or conflagration. All we wish is to get to safe harbor in Silverkeep where the survivors can restart their lives. That is where these ships are headed. May we continue with our journey? We wish for nothing more than the safe harbor of Silverkeep."


Approaching Vessels:
"You may proceed," the commander responds. "But be aware: Carron has sent a fleet to blockade the mouth of the Merin'he. You had best beat them there, for I doubt your convoy will be able to withstand combat with their vessels."

He will order his vessels to resume their original course, southwest, shortly.

So I realized that we might need maps for the other ships in the flotilla. Here are the deck dimensions should we need to use them for combat. The three classes of ship in your convoy are depicted below. I am working on maps for the lower decks of each, but they're still works in progress.

Ships in the Flotilla


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Approaching Vessels:

"Thank you for the warning. That is dire news indeed. I fear you may be correct about our vessels. May the wind be at your back and the tides with you." With that Leto flies away.

Leto flies to The Black Dragon and lands on the deck.
"Good news, they are heading away and even gave us some information to help us in our journey. Bad news: Carron has sent a fleet to blockade the mouth of the Merin'he. We need to beat them there. Whatever possible speed we can gather must be achieved." If no one has any questions Leto heads over to each ship and informs them of the news before returning to The Triumph informing them and dismounting.


In the distance, the ships revert to their original course, heading southwest.


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

After Leto departs, Hascya spends a few minutes blowing into the sails before realizing the futility of that to increase speed.

Twohey will speak with the wind spirits, but I doubt they will be inclined to intervene. Do we have any other way to increase our speed? If not, we had best prepare for a sea battle.


The brigs (Lancer and Black Dragon) are fast, the caravels (Albatross, Kestrel, and Porpoise) can move at a moderate pace, and the Triumph is very slow. The Albatross is currently no faster than the Triumph due to damaged rigging, but its crew is working to repair it.

Profession (Sailor) DC 15:
You can hasten a ship's progress by streamlining its rigging (a full day's work by the crew and a DC 25 profession (sailor) check), or by lightening the load it carries. There may be some magic that can hasten it as well, either by directing the winds or tides, or by improving a ship itself. Alternately, ships can be disguised to look more or less threatening. You could also pray for favorable winds and tides.

Another option would be to try and wait out the blockade, but you would have to find some way to hide your fleet while watching the blockading one, and you would need to hope that you can outlast them. Leaving the slowest ship(s) behind might also work and allow the fleet to travel faster, but at the probable expense of that ship's safety.


I don't care what the rules say, this profession check may be attempted untrained. Martin's background gives him a +4 circumstance bonus on it.

Knowledge (History) DC 20:
Favorable or unfavorable winds can make or break a sea voyage. Many fleets attacking Carron have wrecked themselves on the reef outside its port following a sudden shift in the winds. An expedition out of Altin only escaped pirates a few years ago when they jettisoned their shipboard weapons and provisions, lightening their ships and allowing them to outpace the pirates. The explorers found safe harbor in a secluded bay, where they restocked by trading with the natives.

You've also heard of ships being disguised to look more or less threatening, possibly luring foes into a false sense of security or intimidating them into not attacking. Some fleets have sacrificed less capable ships as distractions so that the stronger ships can escape an overwhelming foe, although this is seldom done lightly.


Survival DC 20:
With nearly all seagoing ships reliant on the wind for propulsion, a favorable wind can propel a ship or fleet to its destination quickly, just as an unfavorable wind can prevent it from arriving. Worse, a storm can brew up and threaten to damage or in some cases destroy a ship. Captains are extremely cautious whenever the weather looks like it might take a turn for the worse, or when they hear tell of a storm heading their way.

Sea voyages are limited by provisioning. If the ship or ships run low on provisions, they typically turn towards the nearest friendly port to restock. Alternately, a ship may be sent to fetch more provisions for a larger fleet, creating a gap in that fleet's coverage while it is away. A patient adversary could wait for such a gap to appear before making his or her move.


As this survival check does not pertain to tracking, it may be attempted untrained.

Secret:
Albatross rigging repair: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14 Failure


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

Profession Aid Another 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (16) - 2 = 14
Profession 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Survival Aid Another 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Survival 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Knowledge (History): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (13) + 11 = 24

Leto flies over the The Black Dragon and pulls everyone aside where no one can hear them.

He then recites what he knows of naval history: "Favorable or unfavorable winds can make or break a sea voyage. Many fleets attacking Carron have wrecked themselves on the reef outside its port following a sudden shift in the winds. An expedition out of Altin only escaped pirates a few years ago when they jettisoned their shipboard weapons and provisions, lightening their ships and allowing them to outpace the pirates. The explorers found safe harbor in a secluded bay, where they restocked by trading with the natives.

I've also heard of ships being disguised to look more or less threatening, possibly luring foes into a false sense of security or intimidating them into not attacking. Some fleets have sacrificed less capable ships as distractions so that the stronger ships can escape an overwhelming foe, although this is seldom done lightly."

Leto pauses from this lengthy monologe. "These are some strategies. I suggest we employ one of them. We could get rid of the things we can to gain speed. We could abandon the Triumph. But we aren't going to do that. Because I am not going to abandon the Triumph. We could disguise the ships. Well, we have options. They aren't nice, but they are options."


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

We could sail up the coast, and make shore away from the fleet, and make the rest of the trip on land.


Here's a map of the region. It may be useful as you plan.

Map


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Although the mountains might make it difficult, we could land west of them, and move to silver keep that way.


HP 42/43

Since it's actually never come up before, can we get a description of the Saker's Expanse?


General Knowledge:

Saker's expanse is the term used in Silverkeep for the region to that city's southwest. The region is heavily forested, with small mountain peaks and rocky gorges breaking up the terrain. Little overland trade of any significance takes place there, so there are few known settlements in the area.

Hascya:
You know the region by the name of the Dryadhearth Forests. They are, by reputation, a beautiful but perilous region. The forest spirits are inquisitive, dangerously so for trespassers. It may be possible to appease the spirits, however, and in doing so find safe passage.

Martin:
In the past five to ten years, some people in Silverkeep have made the effort to establish an overland trade route to Oakheart through the expanse. A road west was partially built, but the effort stalled due to rising tensions with Goldcrest and an increasing number of cases of nightmares and freak accidents among the workers.

Gareth, Leto, and Martin:
A forest fire broke out on the eastern edge of the expanse a few weeks ago. It has likely burnt out by now, but the extent of the damage is unknown to you at present.

Knowledge (History) DC 20:
Originally called the Dryadhearth Forests, the region became known in Silverkeep as Saker's Expanse in honor of Thorvald Saker, a well-known adventurer. Sixty years ago, he and his companions sought an ancient grove hidden within the forests. His companions returned, but he did not, and the companions refused to speak of what they had faced. Upon assuming the throne, King Heric renamed the region after the famous explorer.

Everyone else continues to refer to the region as the Dryadhearth Forests. The story behind the region's ancient name was that a traveler, on the run from a great evil, took refuge in the woods. A fae creature took interest in the man and spirited him away. The being then tasked the man with a quest, but the man refused. The fae sealed him away for many years, releasing him on the last day of his life. The old man staggered into the nearest village, where he died warning the townsfolk of capricious fae.

The commonly-accepted moral of the story is that when you travel through fae lands, you play by their rules or risk their ire.


Knowledge (Geography) DC 15:
The expanse itself is seldom traveled, as most trade is more easily performed on the Merin'he River or along the river valley. The western edges of the expanse are frequently travelled by traders out of Oakheart and the elven cities of Egus and Ralinor. Silverkeep has pushed further into the expanse in the hope of establishing overland trade with Oakheart, but the endeavor has stalled in recent years as tensions rose.

Knowledge (Nature) DC 15:
The region known as Saker's Expanse is peaceful so long as you can find some way to appease the fae creatures who live within. These creatures are infamous for the creative and cruel punishments they inflict on those who represent a threat to their domains. Over the years, many people have gone missing within the region, and those who return are seldom unchanged by the experience.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Roll them knowledge skills

Geo:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Nature:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

Nature Aid 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Nature 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Sorry it has taken a couple of days
Knowledge (History): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30
"We are definitely not going over those lands. Ever. Ever Ever Ever Ever. Fae control the area and there are many legendary stories of the tricks they can pull and the deaths they create. Besides that, I don't think we could get 1000 people across land without losing some of them. It would be impossible to protect them with our small amounts in any meaningful way. No. For better or worse our best options are with the ships. I advise that we try to look like trading vessels if we can. Or that we try to make ourselves lighter in some manner. What do you think?"


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

If they are looking for us, we'll not sneak past them, nor will we if they are blockading all traffic to your port. Perhaps we should leave the citizens of Westwind behind, run the blockade before it is formed, and return with allies. If not that, we should attack with subtlety. If you cannot be the tiger, be the flea.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Hascya makes some good suggestions, but I don't think you should be so hasty Leto. We could make it over the land if we make sure to respect it, paying the Fae that live there some form of tribute. I know that while infrequent, some traders from the elven lands do past that way unpestered.


As you guys discuss options, the Lancer comes alongside your ship. "So Carron's going to blockade the way to Silverkeep?" Daren calls out, "Do you have a plan? Usually, their fleets consist of a few small, fast ships lightly armed but carrying big crews, some heavily armed medium ships, and a few large ships to carry supplies. If they're really pissed off, they'll send the Dominance or one of her sister ships with a force of those halfling eagle riders."

I realized that, "Oh yeah, Westwend and Carron have been at war for a very long time. Daren would know a bit about Carron's ships and tactics."


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto shouts back "What kind of vessel is the Dominance? And to answer your question, we are coming up with a plan right now. Don't have one yet."


"She's the biggest ship I've ever seen. No sails, but she's frighteningly fast. I haven't gotten more than a distant look at her." He pauses for a moment, "She carries a lot of halflings and their eagles, along with some cannons. Worse, I've heard the sailors talk about more than one of these ships being used by Carron."

Hascya:
You recall seeing a trio of massive, sail-less wooden ships docked at Raider's Roost in Carron. One of them put to sea about four weeks ago, and returned a few days before you left the city.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

"No sails? I wonder how that works. More than one of them could be a problem. Well, even one of them could be a problem. Is there any other alternate route that they would not expect us to take?"


Daren looks confused, calling back "To Silverkeep? By sea? It's pretty much a straight shot from here to the mouth of the Merin'he. In any case, if Carron has sent a blockading fleet, they'll be sailing with all haste to reach the mouth of the river. They'll only be as fast as their slowest ships, but unless we know exactly when they left Carron it's hard to say exactly when the fleet will arrive."


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

I saw the ships that used no wind, when I was in Carron. One returned to the city from the sea just before I left.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

"Is there any way we could lighten the boats to speed them up? More specifically the Triumph, if we can speed it up at all it would be a major boon to getting through before the blockade would go into place. Is there any way to do this?"


"Short of throwing people and supplies overboard? Not really," Daren calls back. "Even then, she'll still be slower than any of the caravels."


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

"What weapons are there in naval combat that are terrifying for people? That are really obvious and if I created images of a bunch of them. Would scare the boots off the other ships? Are there any weapons like that out there?"


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

"I know what I am going to do. I am going to make it look like I have summoned a giant black dragon or a fiend. I would get the hell out of there if I was on their ship. It is a bit of an all or nothing strategy though. What other ideas to we have if that doesn't work?"


"A dragon would be appropriate, given the name of your ship," Daren responds. "Our fleet being apparently defended by a dragon would certainly be enough to give an opposing fleet pause before attacking. As for other ideas, fire is a threat to any ship, especially those carrying cannons. If you can alter the weather, it could be used to speed our journey or hinder theirs. I am no mage, though, and I don't know the extent of what magics you command or of those commanded by Carron."


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

"Weather changes aren't in my bag of tricks. Anyone else? Anyway, does anyone else have ideas apart from bombing the ships with the bags of explosives? You know what we could do actually. We could put the powder into bags and possibly with lantern oil in a glass container to spread the fire. Do we have the materials to do this?"


You have three fifty-pound kegs of powder in the magazine (you can turn these into bombs, but you may lose the ability to use your ship's cannons if you drop them all), and various bags were used to carry goods onto the ship. You have lantern oil as well. Most of the mugs and dinnerware are wood or pewter, but there are six nice pieces of glassware in the captain's closet that could serve as containers for small charges (no more than five pounds of powder can fit in each of these containers).


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

"Alright then. I say we take half of one of these kegs and some of the bags that used to hold food but have since been emptied by people eating it. Fill said bag with some of the powder. I also suggest that we use those 6 nice glasses for small explosives. Sorry captain. How many explosives would that get us?"

2,301 to 2,350 of 2,803 << first < prev | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM CD's Unrest in Atlus All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.