Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM CD's Unrest in Atlus

Game Master Vethcyr


2,251 to 2,300 of 2,803 << first < prev | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | next > last >>

M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Martin moves to disarm the monkeys once again
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (6) + 10 = 16


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

HP:22/45
Fort Save:1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19 Success

Gareth LoH on himself, utilizing the mercy in attempt to remove the slowed condition. Healed for: 3d6 ⇒ (5, 1, 5) = 11
Dispel: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16


Hascya chops the wight in half.

Gareth resists the negative energy. He fails to remove the slow effect from himself (DC 18).

Leto creates a series of walls across the entrance to the tower. For clarity's sake, the false walls are grey, while the real ones are black.

Martin fails to retrieve his sword from the monkeys.

"These new walls are false!" The voice shouts, "Wights - press the attack! Monkeys - bring me that sword!" The monkeys move north, through the wall and into the tower. Gareth and Martin both swing at the swarm (it provoked an AoO from each of you), but only Martin's shield connects, braining a number of monkeys (swarms are immune to bull rush).

Three more wights emerge from the darkness. Each carries a longbow and wears leather armor. Despite the armor, one of them loses its head to Hascya's blade as it emerges (Confirmed crit on an AoO). One of the survivors goes after Martin, while the second moves to attack Hascya. Both drop their bows and swing at their targets with their clawed fists, but neither manages to connect.

DM Done!

Map

DM Rolls:
??? will save: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (5) + 14 = 19
Monkey will save: 1d20 + 2 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 2 + 4 = 20
Archer 1 will save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Archer 2 will save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Archer 3 will save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Wight will save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Gareth AoO vs monkeys: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Martin AoO w/ shield vs Monkeys: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15
Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Hascya AoO: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Confirmation: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20 Confirmed!
Damage: 4d6 + 8 ⇒ (3, 2, 3, 3) + 8 = 19
Crit deck: 1d52 ⇒ 10 Flat Blade Thwack (x3 damage, but all of it is nonlethal), but as undead are immune to nonlethal damage, let's call this one a basic x2 damage critical.
Armored wight 1 vs Martin: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Armored wight 2 vs Hascya: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

+14? Really? And those are some crazy rolls on everyones part. Gaaaaah!


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

Hascya backpeddals and attacks the wight in front of him, destroying it with his massive blade.

Attack 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Damage 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (8, 7) + 5 = 20


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto takes a step to the left and back and continues to concentrate on the illusion.
"Why monkeys? I feel I have to ask as a fellow magic user."


HP 42/43

Really? I think the better question is why not monkeys?


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth moves closer to the nearby wight and probably can't attack it because I think that's how the slowed condition works.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Attack:1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
Damage:2d6 + 4 ⇒ (5, 4) + 4 = 13


Hascya and Gareth destroy the two wights that remain visible.

Martin's up. What do you do?


JZ is moving and doesn't have internet access at the moment. He told me what his actions would be:

Leto maintains his spell.

Martin pulls a bag of powder out of his pack. "Leto, light the fuse!" He commands, shifting to a throwing stance.

Readied action to throw bag into tower when fuse is lit.

From within the tower you hear the voice shout, "Aha! Thank you, my simian minions! What a beautiful bl-" He's interrupted, however, by a malevolent voice heard only in your heads, "Discorporation." The darkness within the tower withdraws momentarily, only to burst forth into the open air as thousands of tiny, fleeting motes of darkness in the grey morning. They fly high into the sky before being lost among the clouds, all in a matter of seconds. As the darkness flees, you realize that the monkeys have fallen silent.

DM Done!

Map

Spellcraft DC 22:
NOTE: homebrew spell.

Discorporation is a necromancy effect that transforms the caster and all objects he or she carries into motes of darkness, depositing them in a darkened or unhallowed area within range (1 mile per level). The spell can transport the caster a considerably greater distance when cast from an area of shadow or one that has been unhallowed (10 miles per level), but at the cost of dispelling magical darkness or the unhallow effect in the area it was cast from. The spell releases a localized pulse of negative energy when cast, and again when the caster reaches his destination.

You don't think the voice in the darkness cast the Discorporation spell.


Secret:
Swarm damage to bow 1: 2d6 - 10 ⇒ (2, 1) - 10 = -7
Swarm damage to bow 2: 2d6 - 10 ⇒ (5, 6) - 10 = 1
Negative levels: 1d4 ⇒ 4
Monkey fort save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

Spellcraft aid another 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (6) - 1 = 5
Spellcraft 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

Hascya delays, waiting for a target to become visible.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto casts spark on the fuse.

spellcraft: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20


Martin throws the bag.

Attack: 1d20 + 7 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 7 - 4 = 19
Miss chance: 1d2 ⇒ 2
Delay (rounds): 1d4 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2

For future reference, we'll use the fuse grenade statistics for thrown powder bags. Because these powder bags are improvised thrown bombs, I'm going to say the delay is 1d4-1 rounds, so they can go off in your hand on a result of 1 - 1 = 0. I've updated the Campaign Info section to reflect this rule, but my question to you is as follows: do you want me to roll the delay in secret, or should it be the thrower who rolls for the delay?

Lighting the fuse requires that Leto stop concentrating on the illusion, but it will still remain for 3 rounds.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth casts Divine Favor on himself. +1 attack/damage rolls for the next minute.


Gareth casts a spell, Leto lights the fuse, and Martin throws the bag.

A wight begins to climb up the door and out of Leto's illusion (would have happened sooner, but I forgot that I had given these things a climb speed). Seeing the target present itself, Hascya charges. His blow bisects the wight, and it falls through the illusory walls, breaking the illusion (Leto is no longer concentrating, and the major image spell disappears when struck if it isn't controlled to react appropriately. A body falling through the walls counts as striking the illusion).

Attack: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25
Damage: 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (3, 4) + 5 = 12

With the illusion and the darkness gone, you can see into the tower. There are two large ballistas facing you, along with a broken tripwire just beyond the doors. You see Gareth's bow and the bag of powder thrown by Martin just beyond the ballistas. The fuse continues to burn.

There are no wights in sight, and the monkeys are gone.

A staircase beyond the ballistas leads upwards, while a door stands ajar on the far right wall.

DM Done!

Map

Current Initiative:
Gareth
Leto
Martin
Hascya
DM


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto runs straight forward 6 squares (assuming ankou and hascya let him) and casts ray of frost on the fuse.

to hit: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17


Leto's spell extinguishes the fuse.

That's everything in the tower dealt with, though your characters can only tell that they don't see anything else.

Upon further examination, Gareth's bow is damaged and will need to be restrung before it can be used (10 minutes of work). Martin's sword is nowhere to be seen.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto gathers up the powder and drops it in his handy haversack. "Gareth, do you think you will need to keep using your bow? Should we stay here while you fix it or do you want to use other weapons for now?"


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

"Those monkeys took my sword..." Martin says, shacking his fist at the empty room.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

"And not just any sword. Remember that inscription I read? We need to try to get it back. We can fix my bow later. Where did that... thing go?"


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

Hascya, upon returning to regular size, walks up beside Gareth and lays a hand on the bow strung across his back. He mutters a few words and the bow twists back into shape. He grins broadly.

There, Twohey has fixed it.

He turns to Martin. What do you mean, inscription? Didn it not just say "For the Empire"? That inscription seems not unusual. Unless it means the Empire of Devils... or of Finches.

He shakes his head. I should have known the finches would be behind all this...

He and Twhohey exchange a few hoots.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto stares blankly. "Finches? Oh well let's head on in and clear out the rest." Leto waits for others to go forward, he is going to stay toward the back of the pack.


Real nice, Leto. "Lets keep going, you go first."

Hascya's spell mends Gareth's bowstring.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Spellcaster. Spellcaster with a glass jaw. I stand behind my suggestion to stand behind others.


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

Hascya summons some Dancing Lights to guide them, and leads the party into the tower.

Hascya is spellcaster too. Hascya walks in front like a man.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Hahahahaha! Hascya's got Leto there!


You explore the lower levels of the tower, encountering no more creatures. The ground floor contains a number of store rooms and a kitchen. The basement has three levels of barracks and associated living quarters. On the second floor, you find an armory (containing masterwork weapons and armor, including 2 muskets and 3 pistols plus ammunition). The third floor has officer quarters and storage rooms, and the fourth floor is where the survivors first intended to make their stand.

As you reach the fourth floor, Daren calls down to you from the gap where the staircase used to be. "Did you find anything? Is the way clear?"


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

"As far as we can tell yes. They are all gone now."


"Good," he says, throwing down a rope ladder with wooden rungs. "Let's get to the docks before anything else shows up." He shouts instructions and will help the other survivors climb down.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto follows along.


Let's fast forward a bit. I don't think you really want to go through the process of every survivor climbing down from the tower and walking to the docks with no actual foes to fight.

You travel to the docks and Daren starts directing the survivors to stock up the six ships present. There are three pinnaces, the Kestrel, the Albatross and the Porpoise, and a large galleon, the Triumph, all unarmed. There are also two brigs. One, the Lancer, has a pair of large ballistae mounted on its deck. The other is unnamed, but has wooden ports along its sides.

”I recommend you take that one,” Daren says, pointing at the unnamed ship. ”She’s new. Would have been christened by now if not for the wights. She mounts eight cannons – two bow guns and three on each broadside. Her design is fast, nimble, and shallow, so you can take her just about anywhere. Should take a crew of twenty to sail, thirty to use the guns. She needs a name, though.”

Map of the Unnamed Ship


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

"The Black Dragon." Says Leto with a slight smile "May this one treat us better than the last." At that Leto clambers aboard.

Assuming that works for everyone Leto uses ray of frost in one hand and spark in the other to do a wood burning of the name along the side of the boat.


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

So, which of us has ranks in Profession(Sailor)?


Don't worry about it. I'll give you a crew. I thought Martin had ranks in it, but it looks like I was wrong.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Nevermind. ninja'd


Okay, guys, there are just a few things I need answered as we proceed, and I need input from all of you on these points. In character, please.

First, a name for the ship. Leto has suggested "The Black Dragon." Does this suit you? If not, hash it out in character.

Second, who's the captain going to be? I can use an NPC here, but I'd really prefer the captain be one of you. Daren will take command of the other brig unless you give him a really good reason not to.

Third, do you want the trained guardsmen aboard your ship, or spread among the rest of the flotilla? With you, your crew can put up a stronger fight, but the civilian ships are totally defenseless. Your ship is definitely the most heavily-armed already. There are about forty guardsmen: 15 musketeers and 25 melee fighters. No crewmember has the siege engineer feat. Again, this needs to be discussed in character.

If you think I've forgotten something, bring it up.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Martin thinks it sounds like good advice, and intends to follow him down to the docks.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

"I nominate Gareth to be the captain of The Black Dragon. I am going to go onto one of the civilian ships to help protect the civilian population. I can use message to communicate with your vessel at times. So far as the distribution of troops is concerned, I suggest that we put the musketeers on the Lancer and the black dragon and use it and The Black Dragon to protect the civilian groups. We also go back and get those pistols and rifles that we saw in the tower and the ammo to go with it to arm ourselves at range. "

"Then we have some of the melee fighters on the brigs and have some of them in the civilian ships to help protect them if we miss anything. The reason I am suggesting that I go on the civilian ships is that I can use my illusions to protect them and make it more difficult for them to be waylaid. Does this work for everyone or should we distribute the fighters more?"


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth scratches his stubble and smiles, "Can't say I've been a captain before. I'll accept on one condition. The Black Dragon we fought was a result of bad luck at sea, so why should we name our ship after it? The last thing we need on a voyage is misfortune. But then again, we wouldn't have saved all of these people if it weren't for our bad luck. How about the Dragon's Reckoning?"

"I don't like the idea of having all of our soldiers on one ship. All the enemy has to do is sink our one ship, and the others are defenseless. Leto, that sounds like a good plan to work your illusions - how far away from us can you use your message spell though?"


There were muskets in the tower, not rifles.

Daren will say, "The brigs each carry a couple dozen muskets and ammunition for their weapons. Between those and the cutlasses, they're pretty well armed. We can fit all of the civilians aboard the other ships, though it will be cramped. Each pinnace can take two hundred people, and the Triumph should carry four hundred. The two brigs are very fast, but the other ships will be severely weighed down, so speed will be impossible for them."

Leto, your illusions are not powerful enough to alter the appearance of more than one ship at a time. Just so you know.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

"Dragon's Reckoning sounds good to me. I can send a message about a hundred and sixty feet. Not very far, so how about I send up some dancing lights to move us closer for messaging. One light for messaging, two if I see danger and am warning. Any more than that and I am trying to just illuminate. I guess I can only protect one other ship. The one that I am on. Should we put one other fighter on another civilian ship?"


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

Sorry, I'm a little confused here. Flotilla? Guards? Are we evacuating the entire city to Silverkeep?


The thousand or so survivors, yes, that seems to be the plan. If you want to cut loose and adventure elsewhere, you've got a ship to do so with, so you can.


So I just double checked my ship classifications, and realized that pinnaces are tiny. So I'm retconning them into caravels - midsize oceangoing ships. The Albatross, Porpoise, and Kestrel are all caravels. This way they can actually carry large numbers of people.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

God, if they don't all end up on fire it will be a miracle.


With your track record, you'll burn them down yourselves...


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Exactly what I meant


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Martin cracks a smile at the name "Black Dragon". Looking to Gareth, "I don't know if I would call it bad luck to call it the Black dragon. That was one mean son of a reptile, and it would be good to bring in some of that strength. Also, if we pay it homage with a name, maybe it won't ripe us to shreds this time."

Martin is about to board the ship, and then turns back to the party, "But do we really want to leave these shores? The whole point was for us to find that group of elves and learn more about the assassination attempt on the king. If we head back to silver keep, we're going in the wrong direction. And the whole reason we headed this way was to track down a lead on the person hiring the halflings, whom it seems like we've already meet on this isle. Again, if we sail for silverkeep we seem to be heading in the opposite direction of this goal. We could escort these citizens back, but we would be losing precious time, and these waters aren't suppose to be all that dangerous."

"I want to get behind the mystery of who this elf is, and why she tried to killed the king. She seems to have powerful magic, and could hold me with a simple word, yet why go through the effort of faking an assassination if your so powerful. There are so many things here that don't add up, and it seems like going back to silver keep will just be abandoning that line of thought. What do you think?"

Maybe too logical for Martin, but someone has to notice that we're not even following up on why we came here in the first place.


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

Hascya will just go along with whatever plan the group decides on, he doesn't have any strong opinions, at least not on this matter, at least not that he cares to vocalize to anyone but Twohey.

2,251 to 2,300 of 2,803 << first < prev | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM CD's Unrest in Atlus All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.