Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM CD's Unrest in Atlus

Game Master Vethcyr


2,201 to 2,250 of 2,803 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>

HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

"He's not dead. He's just very very somewhat paranoid. And thought that the woman might just kill everybody in the city. So he abandoned us temporarily and slept outside of the city. I imagine he is on his way back soon."

Leto pauses for a second. "Sounds good. Let's get a good night's rest and then clean up the wights in the morning."


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth joins the conversation with Leto and Daren. He gives Daren a firm handshake, "Daren, Gareth Aldridge. Congratulations. You did a good job today, keeping these people safe. You should be proud of yourself."

He cocks his head slightly and continues, "What friend of ours are you talking about? Martin said he'd fly far away from the tower so he should be just fine. And I don't know about Jamros, but that halfling's gotten himself out of a lot worse, I'll bet."

NINJA POSTTTTT


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

A ship of our own? Ha-ha! Twohey has always wanted to be a pirate!


"I... see." Daren looks perplexed. "Well, thank you for coming back. I understand you have had past conflicts with Nerissa, but thank you for not letting that get in the way of dealing with the wights. But I have a request for you: Westwend is severely depopulated. We don't have the manpower to resist Carron's influence any more. Can you offer us shelter and safety in Silverkeep? Assuming your city still needs the technology, we can offer firearms training to your soldiers. Also in this interest, there's an auction coming up in Altin next month where a new type of cannon will be sold to the highest bidder. Apparently it remains accurate out to a range of several miles, and can sink a ship in a single shot. Does that sound like the sort of thing your city would want?"


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth responds enthusiastically, "Of course the great city of Silverkeep can offer you safety and shelter!" He gives Daren a hearty pat on the back. "It's the least we could do for you after such a tragic attack. Besides, even if Carron wasn't involved with bringing the wights to your town, they won't exactly be sending over relief packages."

He continues with a smirk, "Now, that cannon, you called it. That's just a little bonus on the side. But anyways, how many survivors are we looking at? You have any idea yet?"


"In this tower, just shy of a thousand. Nerissa said that other survivors had taken refuge in the other two towers, but I have no idea whether or not those towers were able to withstand the undead assault. I don't doubt that people attempted to find shelter at the fortress, but that blast originated there. Assuming it even remains standing, I don't think anyone would have survived."


Given your silence, I'm going to assume we fast-forward to the next morning. Feel free to retcon in bits of conversation.

A grim morning dawns on Westwend. The three towers remain standing, as do the central fortress and the buildings elsewhere in the city. Charred skeletal remains litter the streets, and the forests that grew on the northernmost section of the city have been reduced to ash. You see no plant or animal life (or unlife) within the city itself, although the group in the tower can hear wights on the lower floors.

You are rested, and spells/spell slots refresh.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

I love having all my spells back![ooc]
Leto gets up "Shall we get to this? Let's eliminate the wights. At this Leto casts mage armor on himself and pulls out his wand of magic missile.

[ooc]Could I have a map so that I know if there is a door or whatever between us and where we can begin attacking the wights.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

DM:

As dawn crests the hill, Martin will saddle up his eagle, and make his way to the tower.


Shortly after dawn, Martin arrives at the tower atop his eagle, while Ankou gets carried in the eagle's grip. The survivors at the tower seem to be giving him the cold shoulder.

The stairs between the fifth and fourth floors were demolished, and you can see down through the hole in the floor. You don't see any wights. It's a ten foot drop to reach the fourth floor, but after that you should be able to descend via the staircase.

Map

The hole is above the red X.

Martin:
You fly over the city to the tower. As you travel, you see no plant or animal life (or unlife) within the city. Charred skeletal remains litter the streets, but the buildings appear undamaged.

Outside the city, things appear much as they did yesterday. There's very little animal activity in the region, but the plants appear unharmed. It is likely that the animals were scared off by last night's light show.

As you land on the tower's roof, you see that the people there are unharmed.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto moves over to the X and peers down to see what he can. He casts dancing lights and has them go down to illuminate the lower levels.


You hear things moving, but you don't have line of sight to the lower levels (there is a center pillar in the staircase - it's not an open shaft, despite the icon used on the map).


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

"Who wants to go first? I can lend you my ring of feather fall and then use unseen servant to bring it up again."


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

We should start at the bottom and make our way up. That way, non of the creatures can make flight out into the city.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

"What do you suggest? We take the eagles down to the bottom and attack from there? Sounds like a plan to me. Let's do it."


You land outside the base of the tower. The large doors are shut, and you see no wights in the area.

Map


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto pulls out his wand of unseen servant and casts it, then he switches back to his wand of magic missile. He then steps back two squares and (if no one wants to reposition) "Okay servant, on three open the door. Okay. One! Two! Three!" At this point the doors should open.


The doors creak open, revealing darkness within the tower. Suddenly, arrows fly out at you from the darkness. Gareth, Martin and Ankou all get hit (Gareth: 9 damage, Ankou and Martin: 6 damage each).

From within the darkness you hear a voice snarl, "They're here!"

End readied actions!

Initiative Order:
Gareth: 24
Leto: 18
Martin: 11-
Hascya: 4
DM: Readied actions moved turn here.

Go for it!

Map

Initiative Rolls:
DM: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Gareth: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Hascya: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4
Leto: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
Martin: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

DM Rolls:
All rolls vs flat-footed AC due to darkness and no previous actions.

Vs Gareth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Vs Martin: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Vs Ankou: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth draws his bow and detects evil at the darkness. He fires a random arrow into the darkness. (Aim the square 4 north of Gareth, for fun)

Attack: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (4) + 12 = 16
Concealment: 1d100 ⇒ 45
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Gareth:
Positive result from the spell.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto casts dancing lights into the darkness.


Leto's spell has no visible effect.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Damn you darkness!!!!


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

Damn, that's what I was going to do.

To save time before my initiative comes up, DM, what does Twohey's darkvision tell me?

DM:
I suspect there're humans, not wights, on the other side of that Darkness, and I want Twohey's confirmation or rejection of this hypothesis.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Martin will move into the doorway north of Gareth (not in the darkness), and will use his standard to fight defensively, swinging at the square in front of him. (AC 27)

miss:1d2 ⇒ 2 (low=miss)
atk: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26
dmg:1d10 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Ankou will move to martin's side (taking up the other part of the door). If he smells something within 5ft, he will atk, otherwise he will take the fighting defensively bonus. (AC 26)

(If there is something there)
Atk:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
dmg:1d6 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

Trip attempt:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26


Hascya:
Twohey rejects this hypothesis.

"Hoot, hoot."

Trans: "Undead, armed with big and bigger bows!"

Martin's blade cuts only air. Ankou seems very alert, but attempts no attacks.


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

More of the foul wights. We need to draw them out.

Hascya moves 3 squares north and 5 east, then casts a spell, growing to nearly 13 feet in height (Enlarge Person).


Gareth fires into the darkness. You hear the arrow skitter against stone.

Leto's spell fails to illuminate the darkness.

Martin advances into the doorway and swings at the darkness, hitting nothing. Ankou growls at the darkness but does not attack.

Hascya moves clear of the doorway and grows in size.

Three more arrows fly forth from the darkness, bouncing off of Martin and Ankou's armor. The same voice as earlier cackles and screeches, "Now face your death... by monkeys!" Hundreds of tiny screeching monkeys appear around Martin and Ankou. Bludgeoning both of them (4 damage to Martin, 8 to Ankou), the monkeys wrest Martin's sword away from him.

Additionally, Martin and Ankou need to roll a fort save (DC 14) or be nauseated for 1 round and deafened for 1 minute.

Map

The layers are acting funky right now, so the monkeys are represented by the red square. Assuming he is not nauseated, Martin may attempt to use a steal or disarm combat maneuver to retrieve his sword.

Spellcraft DC 18:
The voice used the Mad Monkeys spell.

DM Rolls:
1st shot vs Martin: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
2nd shot vs Martin: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
3rd shot vs Ankou: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Damage to Martin: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 1) = 4
Disarm vs Martin: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27
Damage to Ankou: 2d6 ⇒ (6, 2) = 8


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21
Leto steps forward one square and casts hypnotism Assuming that they have minds, Leto would know this, paizo doesn't say they don't so I am assuming they do, if they don't I will do something else

P.S. Love death by monkeys!


Saving Throw vs Hypnotism: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16 Success! Nice idea though.

Monkey swarms are one of the few (only?) swarms that aren't mindless.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Motherf&+&ing +2 bonus in combat!!!! They just barely made it!


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

Monkeys? Dafuq?

Spellcraft Aid Another 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14
Spellcraft 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth moves around the swarm to alongside Martin. He cries out, "By the power of Cayden, I shall end you, wights... and monkeys."

Channel Positive Energy:3d6 ⇒ (2, 5, 3) = 10

Errbody gets healed for that much and wights within 30 ft have to make a will save DC 16 or take damages.


Waiting on Martin and Hascya.

Secret::
1: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
2: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
3: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
4: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
5: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23
6: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
7: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

Hascya will delay until he has something to fight that he can see (not including monkey swarms). He doesn't understand why these Silverkeepans are standing in clear view of the wights and not taking cover. You don't need Twohey to know that that's a poor strategy.


Okay, as it has been several days, I'm going to handle Martin's turn.

Martin Fort save: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15
Ankou Fort Save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Martin Disarm vs Monkeys: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24
Ankou bite vs Swarm: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15
Damage: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Both apparently unfazed by the swarm of monkeys surrounding them, Martin and Ankou retreat south a little ways. Martin grabs his sword from the monkeys as he goes, and Ankou bites a couple of monkeys to death.

Hascya, let me known when you want to jump back in.

From inside the darkness, you hear wights screeching after Gareth loosed that burst of energy. Three arrows rebound off of Gareth's armor, and the voice shrieks, "No! Don't advance!" You hear a snapping sound, followed by a pair of loud Thunks! as a pair of huge bolts flies forth from the darkness. Gareth manages to sidestep one. The other tumbles through the air to land near the swarm of monkeys, the corpse of a wight impaled upon it.

"Retreat, brethren!" The voice shouts, "We have a backup position!" Despite this, several more wights emerge from the darkness. A wight strikes Gareth from within the darkness (8 damage), and the monkey swarm moves to engulf Gareth this time (10 damage). Additionally, the monkeys succeed in wresting Gareth's bow away from him.

The wights you see are unarmed and have some fresh burns on their skin.

I need Gareth to roll 2 separate fortitude saves: the first versus a negative level from the wight's attack (DC 14), and the second versus being nauseated for 1 round and deafened for a minute (DC 14).

Map

The wight just above Gareth has a blue marker because it has concealment within the darkness. Gareth can tell which square he was struck from, however.

DM Rolls:
Archer 1 vs Gareth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Archer 2 vs Gareth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
Archer 3 vs Gareth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
Ballista 2 vs idiot wight: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (14) + 15 = 29
Damage: 3d8 ⇒ (8, 3, 7) = 18
Ballista 1 vs Gareth: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (5) + 15 = 20
Melee wight vs Gareth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26
Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8
Swarm damage: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 6) = 10
Disarm vs Gareth: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (11) + 11 = 22


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

Hascya 5-foot shifts forward and swings his sword at the nearest wight, but overcommits and, due to his new size, dizzies himself.

Attack 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9
Confirm fumble 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
Fumble deck 1d52 ⇒ 2 => Spinning Swing, sickened for 1d4 ⇒ 1 rounds.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto steps one space to the right and casts scorching ray at the wight directly ahead of him. "Burn!"
Attack vs touch: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
dmg: 4d6 ⇒ (6, 6, 3, 5) = 20


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Hey, sry about that. Good way to handle the turn.

5ft shift to the monkeyswarm, and full round attack"

Sword Atks- 1st: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22 , Dmg:1d10 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
2nd: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11 Dmg:1d10 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Shield Atk-1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9 (Free bach if hit at this CMB) dmg:1d4 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

ankou will hang back, fearing the necrotic flesh


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Confirming fumble:
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26


The monkeys aren't undead. The token is the only swarm token I found that didn't necessarily look like bats or bugs.

That fumble doesn't confirm, and Leto annihilates his target.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

HP: 27/45
Fort Save v. Neg Level: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30 Success
Fort Save v. Deafened: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21 Success

5 ft shift to the SW, draw greatsword.
Attack swarm: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
Damage: 2d6 + 4 ⇒ (1, 2) + 4 = 7

Sorry for the delay.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Good to know

In the face of monkeys Martin Shouts,We should shut the doors and regroup!


Hascya spins like a top, missing everything with his sword.

Gareth escapes the swarm of monkeys, but his strike against them fails to connect.

Leto fries the wight to a crisp.

Martin's sword strikes slay a number of monkeys, but he fails to connect with his shield. Ankou hangs back and avoids attacking.

The archers fire again from within the darkness. Leto gets shot in the arm (5 damage). An arrow finds a chink in Martin's armor (6 damage), while another deflects off his shield. The wight that struck Gareth seconds ago emerges from the darkness and strikes him once more (5 damage, DC 14 fort save vs one negative level). The other wight steps up to strike at Martin, but Martin's armor protects him from the blow.

The voice from the darkness speaks again, but in a deep, confident tone. "Slow. Monkeys, bring me the black sword."

Gareth, Hascya, and Ankou are slowed for 7 rounds. Leto and Martin succeeded on their saves. I rolled saves for you because they affect CMD, which is important for the monkey's action.

The monkeys swarm over Martin once again, injuring him (10 damage) and wresting away the sword again. DC 14 fort save or be nauseated for 1 round and deafened for 1 minute.

DM Done!

Map

DM Rolls:
Archer 1 vs Leto: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (15) + 7 - 2 = 20
Damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Archer 2 vs Martin: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Damage: 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Archer 3 vs Martin: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Wight vs Gareth: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Confirmation: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17 Nope
Damage: 1d4 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Wight vs Martin: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Gareth will save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Hascya will save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Leto will save: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (12) + 10 = 22
Martin will save: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Ankou will save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Swarm damage: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 5) = 10
Disarm: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (10) + 14 = 24

Monkeys have a boosted CMB due to the buff active on the wights/allies. I forgot to apply it to the monkey's earlier rolls, hence the discrepancy.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

"Let's change the dynamic of this little fight." Leto casts major image. The image created is a series of pure black walls. They seal the entrance to the tower, and within the tower they create a series of boxes, every square effected has a hollow center surrounded by black walls. This construct fills the 4 squares of the door and goes back completely another layer and then the center two squares one more layer back.
Let me know if I need to clarify that


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

Hascya takes a step forward and attacks the last wight he can see. Despite being sickened and slowed, his aim is true, and he hits it hard.

Attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
Confirm 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Damage 2d8 + 5 ⇒ (4, 7) + 5 = 16


Hascya bisects his target.


HP 81/87 (95 max w rage) Rage 18/18

Oh, and if the previous fumble didn't confirm, then that was actually a 9 to confirm, though I doubt that confirms either.

EDIT: Aaaaaand it doesn't matter anyway.


Sorry. The previous fumble did confirm. That was a typo on my part.


Waiting on Gareth and Martin.

2,201 to 2,250 of 2,803 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM CD's Unrest in Atlus All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.