Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM CD's Unrest in Atlus

Game Master Vethcyr


151 to 200 of 2,803 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5
Gareth Aldridge wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

Gareth smiles. "Who doesn't give each other a hard time in this world? Me, I try to let my actions speak for my worth. And yeah, I know that I see the world... differently than most of the other guards. But people shut up about the occasional infraction when you accomplish more good than they have on duty.

That, and it's hard to hate someone when they're the one buying you rounds at the tavern. Which I'll be doing, hopefully, for you guys, when Silverkeep is safe and sound."

Ok kids, now that we have split up, time to use spoilers!

Gareth, Martin, DM, or Perception DC 250:
Jamros sighs. He says Well, we aren't the closest of pals for, ah, well, coincidental reasons. She believes that I was involved in a minor heist... Well, I suppose I really was involved in the heist, but not because I wanted to be and... well, lets just say she's been miffed with me ever since. I'm not sure exactly how Vince (Vince? really?) has negotiated a pardon, if he even has. I also have no idea why I've been chosen for this mission, but here I am and I'm hoping for the best.

What about you Martin? What is it that you do for a living? Do you live in Silverkeep or...?

CD, you should feel free to interrupt with action whenever you like. :)


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Goblin Group:

Gareth sort of perks up in response to Jamros. "Wait, wait, wait... What kind of heist? And what do you mean you didn't want to be involved in it? Are you saying that someone made you do it?"

Gareth looks a little on edge, yet curious when he blurts out all of these questions one after another. He collects himself and then says,

"Unless... I was interrupting you Martin. If that's the case, go ahead."


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6
Gareth Aldridge wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

Goblin Group:
"No, you weren't interrupting at all. My story isn't all that interesting. For the last couple of years I have been working as a guide for the local merchant groups going up and down the river. But let's hear more about this heist!."

Golbin Group and DC 18 sense motive:

Bluff: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18
You think there might be more to his story than him simply being a local guide.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Goblin Group:

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
"Yeah, come on Jamros, I want to hear about this heist!"

Goblin Group Sense Motive DC 24:

You think that something about what Martin said made Gareth briefly pause and think. However, he is trying to hide that fact that he thinks something is up with Martin from Jamros and Martin.

Bluff: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (14) + 10 = 24


Female Human Sorceror (Sage) 3

Harrod's Vista Group:
Upon exiting out into the courtyard, Eleri squints up at the sky, shading her eyes with her hand. As her eyes dilate, her nose wrinkles, and she...
Will Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11
sneezes, twice.
"Ah, godsdamn, curse the sun. I swear, someday I'll make that thing shine less brightly."
She arrives at the stables just as Caladrius finishes distributing the powder.
Caladrius wrote:
"We will need to ride hard, but we can reach Harrod's Vista tonight and set the charges so that we are ready for the excitement tomorrow." He then mounts his own horse and takes off at a gallop through the gates, only stopping to see if the rest of the group is following him after he has satisfied his sense of the dramatic.

Eleri takes her time mounting the horse, eventually encouraging the animal into an easy trot to follow Caladrius out the city gates.

"I admit, a ride out to the gorge was not how I envisioned I would be spending the rest of today." She stretches, then slouches in the saddle. "I had only the barest minimum of rest last night. Hopefully I'll be able to stay awake throughout the ride, but in case I do not, be a good lad and make sure I don't fall off my horse."


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5
Gareth Aldridge wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

Gob Group:

SM on Martin:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
SM on Gareth:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25
More to come later today.


Vista Group: After several hours' travel, you turn off from the main roads and head cross country. Following the occasional trail marker, you begin your trek high into the foothills above the Pendrian Gorge during the evening. Turning south, you continue climbing over arid terrain and through sparsely-forested areas, until you come to a gaping chasm about an hour before midnight.
The wood and rope bridge that once straddled the 35' chasm lies broken.

Vista Group Knowledge: Engineering DC 15:
The bridge was definitely cut by some edged weapon. The support ropes were cleanly cut from the other side of the bridge. Given the proper parts (rope, planks of wood), you think the bridge could be fixed with relative ease, but it would also take some time.

Vista Group Survival DC 20:

DM Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

Despite the carefully-concealed signs of their passing, it is clear to you that a group of people on horseback passed this way sometime earlier today. Their foot and hoof prints were likely rubbed away with a bough taken from one of the nearby trees.


NOTE: If you can follow tracks with perception, you may use perception in lieu of survival.

Goblin Group: After an easy afternoon's travel through small towns and villages, you enter the scrublands to the southeast. By evening, you reach a stone bridge that straddles an unnamed stream. On the far side of the river, a lone goblin stands. He wears a rough overcoat made from the poorly-tanned hide of some creature and carries a crudely-made longsword on his back. He shouts at you, "Megállás! Ki jön? Ön a vér üvegszilánk területén! Lemondás az ön lovak, mi is legyen menjen veszélyeztetése nélkül terjedésének a szó mi nagyság!"

Goblin:
"halt! who comes? you are in blood shard territory! surrender your horses and we will let you go without harm to spread word of our greatness!"

Goblin Group Perception DC 33:
Goblins' stealth: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (18) + 15 = 33
Hiding in the overgrowth on the far side of the river are five goblins, two of whom carry bows and three of whom carry dogslicers.

Map


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Goblin Group:
Martin turns nervously to Gareth saying, "You're the one with goblin charm. What did he say?


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Goblin Group:

Gareth sits up very regally on his horse, understanding the goblin's speech through the magic of the pearl. He tells the group, "Don't worry, I'll handle this."

He assumes a non-threatening pose, slowly rides towards the front of the pack, and then responds in goblin, "Könnyű, manó. Békével jöttünk. Én már elküldte a nevében a nagy Zarongel, aki megáldott engem egy fontos üzenetet. Szeretném kérni kihallgatást a vezető a lehetőséget, hogy háborút követően a gyűlölt ember a Sárgafejű királyka. Szeretne hogy a munkatársai és én neki kérlek, így meg tudom magyarázni a részleteket, nehogy kell feldühítette."

Goblin:

Easy, goblin. We come in peace. I have been sent on the behalf of the great Zarongel who has blessed me with an important message. I would like to request an audience with your leader about an opportunity to wage war upon the hated humans and their heathen dogs of Goldcrest. Would you take my associates and me to him please so I can explain the details, lest Zarongel shall be angered.

DM Only:

Bluff that I am acting under the orders of Zarongel:1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23
I also want to retcon having purchased 2 thunderstones for 60 gp.


Gareth:
Sense motive: 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (2) + 14 = 16
Note that he had a massive circumstance bonus in this case - you are not what he would expect a messenger of Zarongel to look like. The retcon is fine, but you don't get any more at this time.

Goblin Group:
Obviously impressed by something Gareth said, the Goblin exclaims "Ó! te istentől jössz kutya! itt jön, jön gruli! mi vár nagy ünnep az ön figurakártyajátékban! lovak jó, jó zsíros lovak! Ön őket keeo ellenőrzés alatt mi megegyétek őket később, igen?" With that, he waves for you to follow him. Meanwhile, another goblin emerges from her hiding place under the tree. On her head is a helmet made from the skull of a horse. She carries a dogslicer at her side and appears extremely eager to draw it... on the goblin who spoke.
"gruli szörnyű!" she cries at him, "ura kell kisérni üzenetküldő! Meera kisérni lesz a küldönc bigboss! A fájdalom!" With that, the two goblins square off and draw steel...
Goblin 1 Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17
Goblin 2 Initiative: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Feel free to roll initiative if you want to. The two goblins seem intent on each other, and likely won't go after you unless you interrupt them.
Map

Goblin group only - Goblin:
The first goblin exclaimed: "ah! you come from god of dog! come come come with gruli! we hold big feast in you honor! good horses, good fat horses! you keep them under control so we eat them later, yes?"
The second cried: "gruli unholy! priestess should escort messenger! meera will escort messengers to bigboss! to the pain!"


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Goblin Group:

Initiative:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

Gareth, surprised by the sudden appearance of the other goblin, is unable to act before the others.

I would like to act on my turn, when the time comes.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Goblin Group:

Oh, and also note that I said that I moved to the front of the group before addressing the goblin, so I probably am on square -A-12. It probably won't matter, but just for consistency's sake.


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

Goblin Group:

Initiative:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14(dex mod 3, so I'll go behind the second goblin)
As the goblins begin their scuffle, Jamros asks Gareth in a puzzled tone, "What is going on? What did they say? What's going on?"
Jamros delays his action until Gareth does something or he/his allies get attacked.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Goblin Group:

As the goblins start their combat, Gareth quickly says to the others, "Stay out of this for now, I'll explain later."

Goblin Group, on Gareth's turn to act:

I'm just preparing this action for now, assuming the goblins will take one turn each beating on each other and Martin/Jamros will delay their actions.

Gareth dismounts his horse, then throws a thunderstone at square -B-16, (which should not deafen any of the creatures around), while yelling one word in goblin, "Megáll!!!"

Ranged attack to hit square -B-16: 1d20 + 3 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 + 3 = 16

Goblin Group, Goblin:
"Stop!!!"


Goblin Group:
The goblin duel begins!

The female goblin quickly snaps her fingers, before extending her hand with lighting speed. A brilliant rainbow spray strikes the first goblin full in the face.

Goblin 1 will save: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Blinking quickly, the first goblin shrugs off the effects of the spray before stepping up and swinging his sword in a wide arc.

Goblin 1 Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14
Goblin 1 damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

The goblin cleanly decapitates his foe. Upon seeing this feat, you hear high-pitched cackling coming from the large tree, and you see two goblins fall from its boughs.

Falling damage 1: 2d6 ⇒ (4, 4) = 8
Falling damage 2: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 5) = 10

...and both promptly lose consciousness.

Gareth, if you still want to take your action, you can. You may also reconsider it as you see fit.

Map

Goblin Group Spellcraft DC 16:
The first spell was Nerveskitter, while the second was Color Spray.


HP 42/43

Back. Completely spaced on warning that I'd be gone for a few days; glad the focus has been on the Goblin group.

Vista Group:
When Pygrado returns, he is wearing leather armor stained a blood red, with each stud worked to resemble a skull. Across his back hangs a pair of viciously serrated swords. He sort of looks like this guy but without the silly mask. A black scarf is wrapped around his neck loosely. His backpack is brimming to capacity, and he carries several more bundles in his arms. He arrives puffing, and dumps his possessions into the saddle bag of the nearest horse.

Thanks for waiting for me, everyone. I picked up a few extra supplies in the market. Never hurts to be prepared, right? That's basically the motto for an assassin like me.

He clumsily mounts the horse. I've never actually ridden one of these before, but it can't be all that hard, can it? Though initially awkward, he does get the hang of it after a few hours' riding. One's supposed to name these creatures, yes? For good luck? Well then this one is Steel Kiss. What've you named yours?

DM:
I've bought:
-Bedroll (0.1gp)
-Crowbar (2gp)
-Flint and Steel (1gp)
-4 days trail rations (2gp)
-Grappling Hook (1gp)
-2 Miner's Picks (6gp)
-50 ft hemp rope (1gp)
-Pulley (2gp)
-Shovel (0.02gp)
-2 Tindertwigs (2gp)

Basically everything a hardware-like store would have that might come in handy. If this is not okay with you, let me know. For now, all this is in my saddle bags, and I'll add a lot of other things from my pack when we first make camp.

Knowledge(Engineering) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19
Survival 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (18) - 1 = 17

Vista Group:
Pygrado appraises the bridge quickly. These ropes appear to have been cut, and from that side. Maybe outriders from the Goldcrestian forces? We could try to rebuild it, but that would cost valuable time. But unless anyone's got better ideas... He reaches for his saddle bags.

DM, goblins speak Hungarian?


Welcome back! We saw your facebook status and sort of figured out where you were. And yes, I'm using Hungarian as my stand-in for the goblin language. We're using real world languages as stand-ins for fantasy ones in Caleth's game, and I rather liked the idea. It allows me to keep up some consistency, rather than using gibberish.

Pygrado:
Looks fine to me. It's probably a good thing someone visited the hardware store given your current situation.


HP 42/43

DM:
Using my last Kn(Engineering) or a new one (1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21) how long do I think it would take me to fix the bridge? I have rope and a hammer (and a saw to scavenge wood).


Pygrado:
You think you could fix the damage in about 20-30 minutes if you were on the other side and could somehow retrieve the bridge. Unless you can do this, you will need to totally rebuild it - a process requiring several days' work. Of course, PC creativity may come to your rescue here...

Vista Group engineering check from earlier:
To clarify, the bridge was cut only from the far side, and dangles down on your side of the chasm.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

I will slightly modify my action I took in lieu of the events that occurred.

Goblin Group:

I'm going to assume that we are semi-off initiative with only the one goblin standing. Feel free to interrupt my actions in a turn based setting if most chaos is about to occur.

Gareth observes the events and tries to stop the fighting from happening, but is unable to react in time before the female goblin is slain.

He summons a facial expression of pure anger. From atop his horse he throws a thunderstone at square -B-16, causing a gigantic boom to go off. He then yells, "Bolond! Ön megölt a ​​papnő a Zarongel! Nincs idő a vérontást. Az én üzenetem rendkívül fontos! Vigyél a vezető azonnal magyarázni a helyzetet, vagy azt kell büntetni ha erre a vétke!"

Goblin Group, Goblin:

"Fool! You have slain a priestess of Zarongel! There is no time for this bloodshed. My message is of utmost importance! Take me to your leader immediately and explain the situation or I shall punish you for this transgression!"

DM Only:

Ranged Attack at the square1d20 + 3 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 + 3 = 9
Intimidate: (you can decide if there's a circumstance bonus, and if so, by how much) 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Ride Check to stay in saddle if Petey bolts in response to the noise: 1d20 + 7 + 2 - 3 ⇒ (1) + 7 + 2 - 3 = 7 <---- LOL


Goblin Group:
I think we're off initiative for the moment - we'll have to see how this plays out.
Gareth, no new bluff check is necessary - just roleplay it out. Jamros and Martin, what are you doing as you see this scene unfold?

The victorious goblin seems momentarily uncertain in the face of Gareth's tirade, but he snaps back "Én bolond? Te bolond! Ez a dicsőség párbajtól! Magas föléhúzás túlságosan közel lovak és kutyák tudni körülbelül figurakártyajátékban? Itt vallási ismeretek hiánya. Ön biztos isten-beszélő?" He begins to spit in your direction, but appears to think better of it.


Goblin Group, Goblin:
"me fool? you fool! this honor duel! tall folk too close to horses and dogs to know about honor? you religious knowledge lacking. you sure you god-speaker?"

Goblin Group Knowledge: Local or Religion DC 20:
Goblins often settle disputes via bloodshed, and few goblins will turn down challenges from their underlings. Fights such as the one you just witnessed are common and approved of within goblin culture - especially by followers of Hadregash.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Goblin Group:

I'm going to give a chance for Martin/Jamros to react to what's going on before I post next. Sorry to be hogging the spotlight.

Gareth responds to the Goblin with his voice lowered, but in a stern voice. "A jelenléte a messenger, nem az idő megtiszteltetés párbaj. Légy becsületes Hallgasson rám, és elvisz a vezetője. Ismerek egy helyet, ahol nem lesz sok ló és kutya számára, hogy megölje, majd megtalálja tiszteletére! De meg kell hallgatni engem, és vigyen el a vezető, így tudom magyarázni."

Goblin:

"In the presence of a messenger, it is not the time for an honor duel. Be honorable by listening to me and taking me to your leader. I know of a place where there will be many horses and dogs for you to slay and then you can find honor! But you have to listen to me and take me to your leader so I can explain."

DM Only:

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18
Bluff: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
(I don't know if you want it or not, at one point you said you did and at some point when i pressed preview you said to just roleplay it out)


Female Human Sorceror (Sage) 3

Vista Group:
That spoiler tag makes it sound like we're a bunch of Windows fans who haven't wanted to make the switch to 7.
Although the rhythmic rocking of the trotting horse had lulled Eleri into a light doze, the beast's sudden stop before the chasm wakes her. She takes a moment to get her bearings, then peers down into the chasm.
"I'm afraid I'll be of little use here. The construction or repair of man-made structures or devices is not within the scope of my studies. If nothing else, though, I can at least provide some light."
She rummages through her backpack for a few seconds before producing a torch that, though clearly not burning, produces light.


Goblin Group:
The goblin's interest suddenly piqued, he once more begins motioning for you to follow him, saying "rendben van! kutyák és lovak! gyere, megvendégel velünk! gruli megmutatni neked módon!" Still motioning to you, he pulls out a whistle and blows it.

Goblin:
"right! dogs and horses! come and feast with us! gruli show you way!"

Vista Group:
Well, I've been saying for years that I use a mac...

Gareth:
Just a brief period of rules confusion on my end. At first I thought your intimidate check had not succeeded. I then reread the rules after posting and realized it had, hence the shift.


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

Goblin Group:

Knowledge Religion:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Spellcraft: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15
Jamros glares at Gareth. "That goblin was just very happy with us and is now looking pretty unhappy with us. That looked like an honor duel to me. Did you scold him for that?! And what about that Thunderstone?! NO! You rock-for-brains! Did you make up some non-sense about being a messenger of some god? He cruses under his breath and continues in a calmer tone. "You had better square up with us, Gareth, or we are dead. We need to be on the same scroll here.

DM:
Are the Duels always intended to be to the death, or are they primarily to first blood? If Jamros happen to know any 5 second or less appropriate gestures to one who dies in a duel, he will walk past Gareth toward the dead goblin to make such a gesture. In addition, if he believes that he knows it is appropriate to do so, he will walk over to the two unconscious goblins and cast stabilize on both of them, but only if he is sure of that knowledge. Jamros is pretty shaken, but he is trying to remain clam and so he takes the time to choose his actions in the most culturally sensitive way possible.

EDIT: He only performs such actions if he clearly has time to do so and believes it would not be rude to do any of these actions.


Jamros:
Duels are typically to first blood, but deaths do happen and they are not looked askance at. The only real tradition involved with duels is that the loser is typically jeered and laughed at by the onlooking goblins, although a challenged superior who declines to duel automatically voids all status and automatically loses. Blood Shard goblins typically leave their dead to be eaten by their mounts - after all, few goblins stand on ceremonies that don't involve fighting, mating, killing, fighting, eating, fighting, shouting, or fighting. Also, neither fallen goblin seems to be bleeding out (they're unconscious by nonlethal damage), so no stabilization is needed.
Also, these goblins have been calibrated to seem utterly alien to your city-dwelling characters!


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Goblin Group:

Gareth smirks at Jamros, "Okay, okay, so maybe I told a small fib. Don't look at me like that. That goblin threatened us and wanted to take our horses. We have no money to bribe them with! We used it all on equipment. This way we don't have to deal with them yelling at us the whole time. You'll thank me when this is over.

Look, if you want to be more involved, I can translate what they say for you, but I must warn you that I want to appear as the one in charge to keep my cover. But you guys may have insights on things that I don't know about these guys, like honor duels I guess. At this point, though, this bluff is our best bet, so I'm sorry but you guys need to go along with this. Besides, I think it's working so far, more or less. Any questions?"


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Wow, a lot has been going on,good job guys.

Goblin Group:
Knowledge Local:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Knowledge Religion:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Martin curses under his breath, "I thought we agreed beforehand to not calling ourselves gods. Especially when goblin girl over here can cast spells. I'm sure that they'll figure it out real quick.

As the goblin motions the group forward, Martin brings his horse into a cantor behind Gareth. "If this thing goes south from your tom-foolery, know that I'm not stopping to help you Gareth, but me and my horse here are making a break for it"


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Goblin Group:

"Yeah, yeah, but Martin, what we agreed to do was bribe the goblins. And did you see us buying a carton of meat or a box of trinkets for these guys? Oh, that's right, you didn't. So don't act all surprised that I'd be willing to take some liberties to save us from offering our horses and promising our first borns in exchange for a chance to even talk to their leaders.

They'll oggle over us for a little bit, maybe throw us a feast, we'll tell them about the Goldcrest army of horses and dogs and how there isn't much time, we'll lead them over, say we need to run off and scout right before they show up, then get the hell out before everything happens. Simple."


Goblin Group:
Answering the lead goblin's whistle, a trio of ugly, dog-like creatures emerge from the undergrowth. All three are crudely saddled, and a goblin armed with a shortbow sits astride one of the creatures. The creatures begin to snarl and lick their lips at the sight of you and your horses, but after sniffing around they redirect their focus toward the corpse. The lead goblin barks out a short message, "A követeket isten, a kutya. Menjünk nagy főnök. takarmány ön tiszt kutyak. megtiszteltetés párbajtól. harcolt jól." After a brief pause, the mounted goblin leads his mount and one of the unmounted beasts over to the corpse of the losing duelist, which the creatures begin to messily eat. The lead goblin grabs the fallen goblin's head and tosses it to the remaining beast, which he mounts as it greedily devours the treat. Amid this grisly spectacle, he turns to you and motions for you to follow him.

Goblin Group - Goblin:
"messengers from god of dog. we go to bigboss. feed you mate to coursers. honor duel. fought well"

Goblin Group Knowledge: Nature DC 11:
The creatures are known as "Goblin Dogs," although in reality they are monstrous rodents. Completely omnivorous and vicious, these ill-tempered vermin are the goblins' preferred mounts. Constantly itching and filthy, contact with these creatures can cause an allergic rash to erupt. Goblins resent the term "goblin dog," as it would compare their ignoble steeds with the much-hated common dog. Despite this, they haven't come up with a new name for them. Perhaps they don't realize they can.


HP 42/43

EDIT: Harrod's Vista Only:
With no further response from his travelling companions Pygrado completes his gesture, reaching into his saddle bags and retrieving not the expected carpenter's tools, but a grapnel and line. With a practiced hand, he ties them together and throws them across, attempting to hook it on the posts of the opposite bridge.

I don't know the AC, so I'll just keep rolling ranged touch attacks till I hit.
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13

It may take him a few tries, but he eventually catches it firmly. He checks the hold, and satisfied, ties the other end to the post on this end of the gorge. He stares at his tightrope for a bit, pursing his lips while the others look on, then thinks better of it. He returns to his saddle bags and draws forth another length of rope. Beginning to hum to himself, he ties one end around his waist. He makes as if to offer the other end to Caladrius, then rethinking instead ties it to the saddle girth of his horse. "Stay" he tells the creature in his most imperious voice, for all the good it will do, then he walks to the tightrope. He purses his lips again, still not satisfied, then draws a dagger from a sheath at his wrist and walks to the wood. Selecting a small, straight tree, he quickly chops it down, whittles away the branches, and tests its balance until he is satisfied with it.

Craft(Carpentry) check to make a balancing Pole--16 if you'll let me take 10; 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21 otherwise. I'll assume a success below.

His humming is louder now, and if his companions take any actions to try to dissuade him from his plans, he takes no note of it. He shucks his pack to the ground, then gingerly steps onto his rope, testing it's balance. He turns back to his companions. If I fall, let no man say I didn't love my city, eh? And he steps out over the chasm.

If I read the skill description correctly, a DC 20 check will allow me to move at half my speed for the whole round. Double moving will allow me to clear 30 feet in a round. The description does not say whether a minor failure causes me to fall or simply be unable to proceed, but taking a page from the climb rules, and the way I'd GM it, I'm going to assume that only a failure by 5 or more results in actually toppling. DM CD, if you would rule this otherwise, let me know and I'll re-narrate the results, I guess. Well, here goes... I've made a backup character already, just in case...

Acrobatics to balance 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (17) + 10 = 27 Praise Olidammara!
In a single fluid burst of movement, Pygrado takes the length of most of the rope, then seeing himself near, decides it easier to simply leap forward.
Acrobatics for a moving long-jump 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13
He lands on the grass on the other side of the bridge, and when he turns back you can see a huge grin across his face.

Seeing the looks of terror on his companions faces (well, Eliri's at least, I'm not sure how Caladrius would react), he quickly explains.

No no, you don't have to cross like that; besides, we'll be needing the horses to make good time. No, it's just that I'll be able to repair the bridge much more simply from this side. If you'll untie the rope from Steel Kiss, and tie it instead to the saddlebags full of my tools, I should be able to have you over in half an hour or so. With these words, his self-satisfied grin gets even wider, and his hum becomes a cheerful whistle.


Pygrado wrote:
** spoiler omitted **...

Vista Group:
All that looks fine, Pygrado - and your rules interpretations are exactly as I'd have ruled them. Well played. I would have allowed a reflex save if you failed the acrobatics check by 5 or more, though. You hit the post on your second throw, by the way.

Male Human Rogue [Investigator] 1/Dragonfire Adept 3

Vista:
Once Caladrius figures out what Pygrado is doing, he approves. Brilliant, and here I was trying to figure out how we ere going to climb up the other side of the ravine with the bridge.

He ties the other end of Pygrado's rope to the bag of tools so that it can be hauled over to the other side of the ravine. How are we going to get the bridge itself over there? Should I go down and get it? He gestures into the ravine with some distaste.

From the description it seems that the severed end of the bridge is on our side of the ravine and needs to get to Pygrado on the other side, is that correct?


Vista Group:
Caladrius is correct - for the repairs to work, you need to get the bridge over to Pygrado. Only then can he fix it.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Goblin Group:
If you want to offer the horses up as a bribe, I would be fine with that. It's not that long of a walk back, and I'm sure it would make the goblins trust us more. Also, while we are not equiped with anything on our person, we could promise them future riches to be payed by Silverkeep in the event of their success with the help against the impending army

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

As a side note, watch out for the goblin's rodents. Excessive contact can lead to hives. On one of my trips, I had a a run in with another group of goblins. Lucky it didn't lead to blood, but a man on the trip got a little too curios about their mounts, and had a rash for another 2 weeks.


HP 42/43

Window's Vista:
Oh, I misunderstood that. But fortunately, I have a grappling hook on this side with me.

How would you do that? If you can fly, I wish you'd told me that about 10 minutes ago. But if not, I should be able to hook it with the grappling hook. Though it might be a heavy pull-up.

DM, can I estimate the DC of the strength check to pull it all the way up, or would it just be based on carrying capacity? And how much does a 35-foot bridge weigh?

Actually, let me think about that. According to WolframAlpha, the average density of wood is 0.023 lb/in^3. If the bridge is made of planks 2" thick by 2' long by 10" thick (one per foot), that would be 480 in^3 per plank for a total of 16800 in^3 or 386 lbs. Add in 4 50-foot lengths of hemp rope for 426lbs. That's a pretty hard pull without a block and tackle or a winch.


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

Goblin Group:
As the trio follows the goblin, it is clear that Jamros is not happy with Gareth. "Hrumph. Well, we need our mounts to get to the vista in time. We are knee-deep in this," he gestures at Gareth,"pea-brain's God story, whatever it is. And translate! We've all gotta know what is going on. Let's just not die." An expression on Jamros' face as he says that makes it clear that he is just now realizing how possible it is that he could not make it out alive.


Vista Update:
Due to the adverse conditions (dirty, uneven terrain, uphill), it will be difficult for one person to pull the bridge up (you need about 800 lbs of pull strength for your current plan to work). Basically, if you want to pull the bridge up and over to you, you need one more person to cross or to improvise a pulley of some sort. If you leave the horses behind and you all make it across you think it will take about 2 or 3 hours to get to the vista itself while on foot. Also, the chasm is about 50' deep and very steep.


Vista Update Patch 1.01:
Here is an updated version of the map.

Goblin Group:
As you follow the mounted goblin along narrow, broken dirt trails, the land turns more and more wild. After almost an hour, and as the daylight begins to fail, you arrive at a grove of trees, at the center of which is a ruin. The fallen masonry appears to have been worked in the style of a temple. Around the ruin lounge a number of goblins - one is being chased by a goat, another pair are comparing daggers in a ruined structure off to the side, and several more are scattered around the area. Several piles of bones are scattered around. The fetid smell of rotting flesh wafts up from beyond a fallen column, which upon exploration is revealed to stem from a trio of slain, mutilated, and partially eaten horses, which have been left out to rot and to be eaten by the goblins' mounts.

Map

Upon your arrival, the assorted goblins pause their activities and reach for weapons, but the goblin leading you in forestalls any immediate hostilities by shouting, "a küzdelem most! Üzenetküldő az isten, a kutya! menjünk nagy főnök! lovak enni későbbi!" The other goblins, put off but still intrigued, nonetheless eye you shiftily and your horses hungrily. The goblin leading you in, however, points you towards a gaping hole in the floor of the main ruin and says "Menjünk meg most, lásd nagy főnök! Hagyjuk lovak itt!"


Goblin Group - Goblin:
"no fight now! messenger from god of dog! we go to bigboss! eat horses later!"
"we go down now, see bigboss! leave horses here!"

Goblin Group Knowledge: Religion DC 20:
The architecture of this temple does not indicate the worship of any particular deity. This is highly unusual, as most temples are dedicated to a single deity. The ruins appear to be five or six hundred years old.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Goblin Group:

Gareth says to the Goblins, "Persze. Köszönöm."

He tells the group. "Thanks to me, the goblins have been avoiding honor duels for now in my presence. He's taking us to their "bigboss" and wants us to leave our horses here so we can meet with him."

Knowledge Religion:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

Goblin Group, Goblin:

"Of course. Thank you."


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17


HP 42/43

What are you using to make the maps? Also, what's the etiquette on table talk (i.e. suggesting actions to other players out of character)?


Goblin Group Sense Motive DC 15:
You think the goblins waiting outside aren't actually that impressed by Gareth's posturing, but are going along in the hopes that dog-killing and horse-eating are in the offing, and that sooner would be preferable to later...

Pygrado wrote:
What are you using to make the maps? Also, what's the etiquette on table talk (i.e. suggesting actions to other players out of character)?

I like to use RPTools to make maps - specifically MapTool and TokenTool. You can suggest actions and formulate strategies out of character, but please try not to badger each other too much. General table talk can also take place in the discussion thread.


HP 42/43

In that case.

Vista:
Can Eliri summon something (or somethings) on my side of the chasm to help me pull?


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14

jofasseaeosaasefioafojeisjf so close


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 2


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

Goblin Group:

Knowledge Religion: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

Jamros shifts uneasily in his saddle. I don't get the feeling that these goblins buy it Gareth. See how they are eying our horses? Tell them there is no time to wait. If we leave our horses here, chances are we will have no more horses. Tell them there will be a great many horses and dogs to kill, easy pickings and lots of them as long as we get to the pass in time, but I'm afraid we won't get there unless we leave immediately.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Goblin Group:
"I'm with Jamros on this one. We shouldn't prolong this visit, with for instance a feast."


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Sorry for the hold up, I will post something soon. I'm doing a one shot today with Jackson, Clark, and Johnny and thinking of you guys.


Understood. Have fun! I'm also distracted by Mass Effect 2 and A Dance with Dragons, so don't worry too much!

151 to 200 of 2,803 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM CD's Unrest in Atlus All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.