Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM CD's Unrest in Atlus

Game Master Vethcyr


1,801 to 1,850 of 2,803 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>

To reiterate the options (as I see them), you could (1) follow the coast to Carron, (2) follow the trail inland and/or try to find the road through the interior of the isle, or (3) do some random stuff I haven't anticipated (building a boat, swimming for the mainland, attempting to invent a TARDIS (HINT: this won't work without epic level magic), or other things). Also, you still have 2 horses and Jamros's pony. It is possible to double up on the horses, and would be faster than traveling on foot, although you would probably have to go around some of the more difficult terrains (remember, there are a ton of rocky cliffs along the coastline).


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto says "I say we go inland and try to find the trail." Leto then walks inland and continues. Bringing the party with him.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Okay Chris, you got me. I've been playing way too much diablo 3. :P

Going to get focused back on posting again!

Gareth, who has remained silent for much of the conversation, gives the party a concerned look. "Whaddya mean, she's beyond our skills? Master Vincenzo hired us, we saved the king, we survived a f*cking dragon! I mean, c'mon, if we're not the best, I don't know who is. Sounds to me like someone needs to sweep that lady off her feet. Carron can wait!"


As the majority position seems to be to travel inland...

You travel inland through sparse, semi-arid forested terrain. In the distance, you hear the nighttime hoots, roars, and other assorted noises of animals. Ankou zig-zags through the forest, seemingly following a general trajectory rather than an actual trail. Very late that night (around 1 AM), you arrive at a rocky bluff on the southern edge of the forest that overlooks an open plain. It looks like a decent place to make camp.

(Assuming you do camp here) The night passes uneventfully, and you wake refreshed the following morning.

Darn random encounter rolls letting me down...

Ankou Survival: 1d20 + 1 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 1 + 8 = 13
Untrained survival: +1 from wis, +8 from scent (ability), can track untrained.

Secret:
1: 1d100 ⇒ 66
2: 1d100 ⇒ 78


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto gets up and readies himself for the day. He pulls out his want of enfeeblement and casts mage armor on himself. "Let's continue onward and hope we have more luck today"

Leto loads up and continues inland.


HP 42/43

Pygrado is nervous the whole time, constantly looking around. He paces the perimeter of the camp a few dozen times before settling in for the night, and he sleeps in his armor with his swords laid out on either side of him.

He brushes away any questions distractedly, and follows the party.


Okay, we're rolling again! Sorry about the delay; I've been distracted.

Ankou continues to lead the way over the grassy plains and through small patches of forest.

Survival DC 16:
The person leaving the tracks is making no effort to conceal them anymore, opting to cover ground quickly instead.

Around mid-day, as you travel through a stretch of forest, you enter a clearing and spot two large birds, each about six feet tall, feasting on a reptilian corpse.

They see you arrive and look up from their meal, calling angrily.

Knowledge (Nature) DC 19:
These are ripper birds. Large and flightless, these birds are capable of outrunning horses with ease and savaging foes with their razor sharp beaks and pounces (not the ability. The forward-facing claws on a bird's feet are called pounces, whereas only the rear claws are talons). They are apex predators on Windrip Isle. Sailors tell of hunting parties who chased after one bird, only for three birds more to blindside them from thickets.

Initiative Order:
Martin (23)
DM (15)
Pygrado (7+)
Gareth (7)
Leto (7-)
Jamros (4)

Map

Perception DC 23:
Pack Stealth: 1d20 + 15 - 4 ⇒ (12) + 15 - 4 = 23

You hear rustling in the woods. There are more of these birds nearby, in the thickets to the north and southwest of you.


Initiative Rolls:
DM: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15
Gareth: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Jamros: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Leto: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Martin: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Pygrado: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth surveys the scene, muttering under his breath, "Great, looks like we have to deal with some angry birds..."


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Survival:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Kno. Nature:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
Percp:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Ankou Percp: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18

Be careful, these birds are a nasty piece of work. If they start running, don't chase them. They are known to set up ambushes.I'm going to try and skirt around them.

Martin moves carefully to P,13 with ankoul trying to not upset the birds.


The birds advance towards you, fluffing up their feathers and barking angrily at you. The southern one has its eyes firmly fixed on Martin, while the northern one watches the rest of you cautiously.

Pygrado et al. are up.

Map

SECRET:
Readied actions:
F18 half-charges Leto.
K8 half-charges Pygrado.
N9 half-charges Martin.

CONDITION FOR ALL: Party advances east of row 13.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Perception (Leto): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Perception (Louis): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (17) + 9 = 26

Louis hisses at Leto. Leto nods his head and hisses back to him. Leto turns to the group "There are more of these birds in the thickets to the north and the southwest of us."

"Perhaps we should try to keep them away from us and scare them away rather than engage" A giant serpent thick as a giant tree around appears on squares I10, J10, K10, K11, K12, K13, J13, I13, H13 surrounding the party, it's face turning to look back and forth between the two thickets and the approaching birds.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth grits his teeth. "I don't think they're just gonna let us walk around them. But here's to hoping you're right." He casts Divine Favor on himself and wait for the party to move before following suit. He seems to be uncomfortable with the current situation.

Survival:1d20 - 2 ⇒ (9) - 2 = 7


HP 42/43

Survival 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12

Pygrado tenses his fingers and asks in a tense whisper, Are these things natural, or did she summon them?

Delay. I'll come back in as soon as someone else moves to engage the birds.


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

"Wha' can I do? God's 'elp us!"

Jamros shifts to I11 and casts Bless.
Everyone (including familiars, animal compainions, etc.) gets +1 moral bonus to attack and saving throws against fear for the next 5 min.

He then draws his dagger.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Let's try some empathy of the wild variety

Martin trys to signal to the birds that the group is not a threat to them.

Wild Empathy:
1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 4 + 2 = 25

BTW wild empathy acts as a diplomacy check.

DC=25+cha mod if the birds are hostile

DC=20+cha mod if the birds are unfriendly

Here's hoping they have a negative modifier on their cha. Which is likely because they are in fact animals.


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

WOW, what a roll! It will at least give them a bit of pause...

DM:
Just a bump on Jamros' conversation back in Silverkeep.


The birds hesitate a moment, and with a chorus of barking calls, dash away. You hear crashing sounds within the nearby thickets, rapidly becoming more distant. All is soon silent in the area.

We're off initiative.

The reptilian corpse is big. Fully erect, this creature could have stood almost nine feet tall, but with its hunched back it more likely stood seven feet tall. It looks vaguely humanoid, insofar as it has powerfully-built arms and legs. It has a tail, and an elongated head with two long, forward-sweeping horns. It is covered in yellow-green scales, and has viciously long, sharp claws on its hands, as well as a mouth filled with razor-sharp teeth.

Knowledge (Dungeoneering) DC 22:
This creature was a Deathclaw. Powerful, bipedal reptilian creatures, they are believed to infest the caves and underground passages of Windrip Isle. They are believed to have been created millennia ago by magic. Little else is known about the elusive creatures, save that they are aggressive hunters and extremely dangerous.

Heal DC 15:
The reptilian creature was not felled by the birds. It has a number of puncture wounds in its back, with burns around the punctures. The killing blow came when its throat was cut open by a blade. There's a ton of blood around the body.

Succeeded on heal check and were at the vista:
The puncture wounds look a lot like the wounds that were inflicted by the halflings' weapons.

Jamros:
Thanks for the reminder.

"It could be a temple to the element of fire itself. Alternately, there have been many civilizations before ours, with their own deities and cultures. You may have found a temple to a dead or dormant deity we don't have a name for. In either case, I suspect the goblins you mentioned were using it as a temple of Zarongel, their deity of fire, among other things. In any event, I'm afraid we don't keep any history books that describe this sort of thing. It would be... problematic, if a priesthood began teaching that gods could be anything but straightforward. You understand, I trust?"

"The stories of Sir Leonard go back a long time. Over a thousand years, if some of the tales are to be believed. He is more of a folkloric figure than a specific person. Over the years, various individuals have claimed the name, and they have shaped the region, for better or for worse. You probably found the grave of Tarbek Festinus, a powerful necromancer who adopted the title shortly before raising an army of undead and living dissidents in rebellion against Silverkeep. He was slain by one of the King's ancestors, did you know? Anyway, I've been to the site myself. It's a case of planar bleed. A ritual was performed in which an outsider was sacrificed, and their essence used to link the planes together."


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

[ooc]Woot! Go team on that one! Too bad I don't have any of the knowledge in healing or dungeoneering[/b]

"I wonder what did it for them in the end that made them leave. Shall we go onward?"


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Heal 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18'

Hmmm, I don't think the birds did this. It looks like those halfing fire tubes. The same types of burns and holes. It looks like we might expect them on this island as well.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

After the birds take off, Gareth wipes sweat from his brow, pulls his hand away from the bowstring, and gives Martin a nod, "Nice going. That could have been trouble."

When the party starts to look over the reptile, Gareth gives it a glance. "What is that thing? It's huge. It must have at least put up a fight against those halflings. We'll have to keep our eyes open for those little guys."


HP 42/43

I just don't like this at all, not one bit. This monster here, and those birds; this woman, the halflings, the dragon... The sooner we reach Carron, the happier I'll be. There's not enough space to work, out here. I'm a city boy, I guess.


Ankou barks and strides south before turning to look at you expectantly. He still has the trail.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Martin quickly looks over the snake to see if he missed any details and then proceeds to follow his faithful animal companion.


The illusory snake or the dead, bipedal reptilian thing? I used a snake icon because I was in a hurry and didn't want to dig for a lizardman-like image.

You continue south-southwest. By early evening, you find an old brown cobblestone road. The area surrounding it is a flat, grassy plain, although thickets of trees can be seen dotting the landscape. Despite its apparent age, you notice that no plants grow on or over the road and that the cobblestones are remarkably smooth and precisely cut. In the distance to the east, you see a crooked stone tower. Ankou seems to want to go west, along the road.

Knowledge (Engineering) DC 20:
This road was crafted thousands of years ago, if the stonework is anything to go by. The stones are smoothed and worn by age and traffic, but remain astonishingly solid and functionally intact. Traveling on this road would be as easy today as when the road was first built.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

"I guess this is the road that I heard about. I wonder who built it?" Leto heads west.


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

"Whew, tha' was close. Ah 'ope we don' 'ave to deal with those again. Well done Mar'in."
Later...
Jamros detects magic. cause why not?


Jamros:
On the road, I assume?

You are drawn to some carvings on the side of the road. They look like ancient, faded runes. Residual traces of magic still cling to them, but they are long since weakened and impossible to identify. The road itself appears to be the product of exceptionally skilled masonry more so than magic.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth eyes the tower to the distance and the well kept road. "The path is remarkably well kept. Probably a spell or something. I wonder who lives up in that tower. Maybe they'd know more about the lay of the land around here. Why don't we go investigate?"


HP 42/43

I'm not sure... we're not here to investigate everything we run across; we're here to get to Carron. We're in the middle of a war zone, surrounded by monsters and Achaekek only knows what other hazards. If this is the road we're looking for, it's the fastest way to Carron and that's what we want.


As it looks like we have a 2-1 split in favor of following the road...

You follow Ankou west along the road. Night falls, and you make camp once more. Yet again, despite the calls and shrieks and other assorted nocturnal noises, the night passes uneventfully for you, and you awaken to a warm, sunny morning.

Also, what's your watch order?

Secret:
1: 1d100 ⇒ 64


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

How about Leto goes first in watch.

Let's keep going on the road shall we? as Leto says this he casts Mage armor on himself and pulls out the wand of enfeeblemdnt as usual.


HP 42/43

Proposed Watch Order:

1) Leto and Pygrado
2) Martin and Ankou
3) Gareth and Jamros

Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

When Pygrado proposes that as the watch, martin offers no resistance.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth agrees to the proposed watch order. During the night, the flesh eating birds the party encountered make their way into his dreams, and by morning he is eager to hit the road.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Sounds good to me.


You set out, following the road across grassy plains and through forested thickets. Mid-afternoon, as you trek through one such thicket, you hear a scream, a roar, and an explosion (a gunshot, although your characters might only recognize the sound from the vista. Leto hasn't heard the sound before).

Through the foliage ahead, you glimpse a beast like the one you saw dead yesterday, save for the fact that this one is bigger, standing ten feet tall hunched over. It roars and glares upwards at a blonde woman floating about twenty feet above its head (30 feet above the ground). She has one of the shorter fire-tubes in her hand, and wears a black tunic and light trousers. She is covered head to toe in dried blood, but appears unwounded. The creature is bleeding slightly from a puncture wound in its arm.

Leto:
This is the same woman you met in the library.

Initiative Order:
DM 2 (Blonde woman): 25+
Pygrado: 25-
Leto: 22
DM 1 (Bigger critter): 14+
Martin: 14-
Gareth: 11
Jamros: 8

As you watch, the woman remains stationary in the air, runs a hand over her weapon, which glows red, before splitting into four identical copies of herself that float in the air above the beast. All four of her shout at you, "Keep away from its claws! These things are very fast!"

Spellcraft DC 17:

Initiative Rolls:
DM 1: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
DM 2: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25
Gareth: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
Jamros: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Leto: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22
Martin: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Pygrado: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

DM Rolls:
Fly check to hover 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (13) + 12 = 25
Number of images: 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Map

Pygrado and Leto are up!


HP 42/43

Pygrado dashes past the party, into the trees (~I18).

Perception DC 18 (DC 24 for the woman):
You hear Pygrado whisper the command word for his amulet of vermin summoning.

Perception DC 24 (30 for the woman) (+2 if you made the previous check):
Pygrado summons his mantis into the undergrowth, intentionally trying to shield it's appearance from the eyes of the party or the woman.

Roll to conceal it 1d20 + 13 - 4 - 5 ⇒ (17) + 13 - 4 - 5 = 21 I'm using my stealth modifier, but corrected for the mantis' size and subtracting a -5 for "terrible conditions" (i.e. I've never done this before). It's then modified for distance and distraction, and I added the situational bonus.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Wait, is that the woman we're chasing? Martin says looking to Pygrado


HP 42/43

Pygrado does not respond.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto runs to L13 to get in attack range of the creature.
"Fancy meeting you here" he says to the blonde woman.

Perception 1 (Leto): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19
Perception 1 (Louis): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22

Perception 2 (Leto): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Perception 2 (Louis): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14

"What are you planning Pygrado? I hope nothing foolish!"


The creature leaps into the air and swats at the woman. Its claw passes through one of the four copies, causing it to vanish. The creature lands nimbly, and roars in fury. The wound on its arm begins to close.

Map

Pygrado and anyone who goes into the woods near Pygrado:
You see Pygrado standing next to a giant red praying mantis.

Map

The mantis can be hidden from above the trees and from outside the grove, but not from anyone with you inside it.


In the woods perception DC 26:
??? Stealth: 1d20 + 16 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 16 + 3 = 26

From high above you, you hear a faint chuckle. You are not alone in this grove.


Pygrado and anyone in the woods with him may attempt the perception check.

Secret:
No rolls needed.

Martin, Gareth, and Jamros are up!


HP 42/43

Perception 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (6) + 11 = 17


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth pushes past Martin to M16, drawing his bow, and takes a shot at the large creature.

Attack (w/DA):1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
Damage:1d8 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

"Don't worry, miss. I can get ya right outta this mess," he yells out.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Martin looks confused over whether he should be fighting the woman, or the creature.

Delay action.


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

Spellcraft:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Perception:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Perception:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

Jamros casts Bless.
All allys get +1 to attack (and consequently CMB)/saving throws against fear. The woman is just slightly too far to benefit (and if she isn't I don't think Jamros yet considers her an ally).


Gareth's arrow strikes the creature in the leg.

"Long story, and I'd appreciate it if you could help me deal with this thing!" The woman shouts in response to Leto and Gareth's calls, before loosing a rapid salvo of fiery blasts from her weapon. Two of the three shots strike the creature, while the third harmlessly impacts the road. She then lazily drifts to J9 (remaining at her current altitude of 30 feet above the ground), calling out to the creature in the playful manner one might use when addressing a pet, "Come here boy! Yes, pay attention to me rather than to the nice newcomers!"

Map

Pygrado and Leto are up!

Perception DC 31:
DC = 10 (base) + 8 (size) + 9 (distance) + 4 (cover) = 31

Gareth's arrow appears lodged both in the creature as well as in a tree way to the north (up in -A6).

Will save, DC 18


Sense Motive DC 10:
You don't think it's actually her pet. For one, she and it give every impression of being dead-set on killing each other.

Pygrado:
Just FYI, the mantis doesn't count as an ally for the purposes of Jamros's spell, as he doesn't know about it.

Secret:
No rolls needed.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto blasts the creature with his wand of enfeeblement:

Ranged Attack: 1d20 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 4 + 1 = 17
Strength Penalty: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Here's hoping that works


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Sense motive:1d20 ⇒ 14


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Sense Motive:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

That wand of Enfebeblement is a ray weapon, yeah? So it is a ranged touch? If so, a 17 shouldn't have any trouble hitting the thing.
SM:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

1,801 to 1,850 of 2,803 << first < prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM CD's Unrest in Atlus All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.