Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM CD's Unrest in Atlus

Game Master Vethcyr


1,501 to 1,550 of 2,803 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>

M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Seeing Gareth heading for the door, Martin makes no move to follow him and instead says,

"Wait, I'm confused. Didn't we come to see if we could try and find the control mechanism for those golems here? Shouldn't we at least check out the office? Also, look at those doors down there. Those things are built very solid, we have some time before anything break through them. Isn't it worth it to at least take a look for the control mechanism?


HP 42/43

To Gareth: Those bastards from Goldcrest took all my gear. It's Achaekek's own fortune we ran into these guys, out of all the assassins Goldcrest could have hired. He puts on the helmet. What'dya think?

He doesn't take any of the rest of the Mantis gear, and he won't make too strong of a bid for the chain shirt, given that he's getting the magic sword. He'll ask around if anyone wants the +1 shortsword, and if not he'll strap it to his back. The MW shortword he'd been carrying goes into the pile. If no one takes it he'll just leave it there.

We came here to warn the city! Let's get up there! He follows Gareth and Jamros.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

To Pygrado: "Honestly?" Gareth chuckles, "I don't know how you see outta that thing." He points towards the helmet. "And it looks a little creepy. You... probably don't want to wear that anywhere near the palace, or we might have some problems with the guards." He seems to be a bit uneasy.

---

Gareth beckons for Martin to come, "Forget the golems. It sounded to me like Dulff had the controls anyways. Leto said all there was in that room was... wait, powder filled sacks? You mean, like, explosives?" Gareth stops in his tracks, a bit concerned. You get the sense that he would entertain ideas to explore the office a bit more carefully.

---

Alright, I'll take the chain shirt then. I'll toss aside the normal chain shirt that I'm wearing. AC will be updated in my profile.

DM:
So with the glamered ability, I basically get to choose what I'm wearing at any time?


"I don't know, maybe" Leto says. "The room has a sign that says "Caution - no fires" on one wall."

Another impact sounds from the door to the escape tunnel. The door looks undamaged from here, although some dirt seems to be coming loose from the wall around it.

DM Rolls:
1d20 + 16 ⇒ (12) + 16 = 28

Gareth:
That is correct. The glamered ability allows you to choose what your apparel looks like at any time. The actual weight and properties of the armor remain unchanged regardless of whether the effect is active.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth grits his teeth as he hears the door impacted again. "They're planning on trying to collapse the palace, remember? If there is a bunch of explosives in there, and they get their hands on it, we're gonna have problems. Let's take a look, but we gotta be fast!" He snaps his fingers for effect as he darts towards the office.

Side note retcon: As Gareth puts on his armor, it changes its form to look like his old breastplate with the insignia of the Silver Guard.


Map (reposted)

Inside the hallway leading to the back room is a control panel at waist height (for a human) with two steel levers. One labeled "Mine Access" and one labeled "Escape Tunnel Access." Both levers are currently angled downward, pointing toward a marker that says "closed." Pulling them upward will open the corresponding door.

Inside the center room is the main office. Apparently Visran's (judging by the dead gnome on the desk), it appears to have served as an office, bedroom and laboratory all at once. A small alchemy set stands in one corner, a large mahogany desk covered in papers (and Visran's corpse) dominates the center of the room atop a green shagpile carpet, a long curved cabinet containing vials and bottles filled with liquids of all sorts of colors stands in the northeast corner of the room, a spartan bed rests in the southeast corner, and a small wardrobe stands in the room's southwest corner.

The southern room contains two long, low tables with a narrow aisle between them. Smelling strongly of saltpeter and sulphur, alchemy stations cover every square inch of the tables. A note written in a strange tongue on brown paper has been pinned up on the wall at the end of the aisle. The note reads: "Nigra pulvo recepto: Aldonu unu parto sulfuro, du partoj karbo, unu parto salo petro. Miksu bone, moisten kun acida botelon kaj lasu seka. Loko en sakon kaj gardi en seka, vekis libera spaco. Enhavo malstabilaj kaj danĝeraj!"

Gnomish:
Black powder recipe: Add one part sulphur, two parts charcoal, one part saltpeter. Mix well, moisten with acid flask, and let dry. Place in sack and keep in dry, spark free area. Contents unstable and dangerous!

Science purists, I tweaked the recipe to reflect the fantasy setting and the fact that this compound functions differently from real gunpowder in several ways. The language is Esperanto.

The northern room contains a massive stack of bags filled with black powder. Those of you who were in the Vista group recognize it as blasting powder.

Secret:
2d100 ⇒ (30, 58) = 88


Waiting on everyone...


HP 42/43

To Gareth: Pygrado chuckles a bit. Well I'll remove it in the presence of the king if we run into him. I was brought up with manners.

So, can any of you wizards make some water? I recall this stuff doesn't work well when it's damp. And I certainly don't think we can carry it all out.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

"Or..." Gareth mentions, his grin widening, "What if we collapsed the escape tunnel on the dwarves? That could buy us enough time to stop the assassins and send word to town." He pauses and scratches his head. "Err, do any of you know how or if we could do that? I'm pretty new to this whole blasting powder scene."


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

From behind a blood matted face, you also see a grin starting to spread across Martin's mouth. "I think your right about the blasting powder. Worst comes worst, if it all goes up, it'll make one hell of a sound, which will warn the city to investigate. And at the best, it might just work. Well, this has just been my kind of day, let's go take a look.
Martin starts heading towards the office door to examine the powder.


Inside the powder room, you see a large number of bags filled with blasting powder. Each weighs about five pounds, and it looks there there are about one hundred bags (counting them will require one minute, but reveals that there are in fact only 88 bags - rolled in secret spoiler above). The bags appear to be in good condition - there are few to no powder leaks, and the powder appears to have been kept dry.

It's blasting powder. Fire or electricity will trigger combustion, and individuals trained in its use (those who possess ranks in Knowledge: Engineering or Profession: Siege Engineer) can calculate where and how to place the powder and in what quantity to produce a desired effect. Alternately, one could pile it up somewhere before setting it alight and hoping for the best.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Does there appear to be any sort of container to carry them? (backpack, wheelbarrow, or otherwise)


Hadn't thought of that...

There are two masterwork backpacks hanging from pegs on one wall. Each pack can hold sixty pounds (12 bags of powder). Both packs appear to have been waterproofed (contents only become wet when immersed for 10 full rounds).


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Well, I can shoulder some of the burden.Martin says, lifting one of the backpacks from the hook. After quickly examining the inside, Martin begins packing the powder into the back. He's careful not to jar the powder too much, but is also trying to move quickly.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth helps Martin with loading up the two backpacks, preparing to take whichever one Martin doesn't grab. "I'll take the other pack. Caladrius, you got any room in your haversack?"

He suggests, "When we get them all in place, I can light them from afar with some of those magic arrows I just picked up. No need to put any of you in harm's way. Just, someone let me know how where we should set these charges and how many."


It will take one minute for a person to load and carry a backpack elsewhere in the chamber and dump it out. How many bags of powder do you want to move, and where do you want to place them? Also, on which floor?

Bear in mind that the crashing noises continue to come from the metal door.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Those are very excellent questions and I was hoping that someone would roll the requisite knowledge checks before we answered them.


To hasten things, I'll post some targets. Artistic license (explosions) is very much in effect here. I'm not going to argue physics with you.

Knowledge (Engineering) DC 15:
The powder will be more effective at collapsing the tunnel if placed and blown up on the lower level. Placing all of the powder on the upper level would definitely collapse the tunnel, but could cause collateral damage.

Knowledge (Engineering) DC 20:
One hundred pounds of blasting powder detonated on the lower level would probably warp the door and make it more difficult to budge, and could likely keep a battering ram at bay for about fifteen minutes. It would also cause the catwalk above the door to collapse, but this would prove only a momentary delay. Two hundred pounds of powder on the upper level would achieve a similar effect.

Two hundred pounds of powder detonated on the lower level by the door would destroy the door and collapse the tunnel nearby. This would require several hours of expert digging to get through. Four hundred pounds of powder on the upper level would achieve similar results, but comes with the risk of collapsing the passage up to the palace as well.

Three hundred or more pounds of powder detonated on the lower level would completely cave in the tunnel near the workshop (this room), requiring days of mining activity to clear. This would also render the passageway to the palace inaccessible. Achieving a similar result from the upper level is not possible with the amount of powder you have.

A detonation of 100 pounds of powder will damage anything within 30 feet of its origin, and will instantly kill anyone within 15 feet (the chunky salsa rule applies). A detonation of 200 pounds of powder will damage anyone within 60 feet, instantly killing anyone within 30 feet. Detonating 300 pounds of powder will damage anyone within 90 feet, killing anyone within 45 feet. Detonating 400 pounds will damage everyone within 120 feet, killing anyone within 60 feet. This is before calculating the effects of cave-ins. Being within the damage radius allows a reflex save for half damage. You are allowed a fortitude save versus massive damage if you are within the kill radius, but you are considered to automatically fail the reflex save.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Just a question, when did Caladrius get a haversack? I don't remember it being part of the loot, and we all had our stuff stolen. (I could have just missed it)


One of the Goldcrest guards had it when they took custody of you from the halflings. He got shredded, but Caladrius salvaged the bag. It was a while ago.


UPDATE to DC 20 check:
On reflection, an instant-death radius sets a bad precedent for explosives. So ignore all comments contained therein regarding the kill radius and massive damage rolls and failed saves. If you're within the damage radius, it's just a reflex save for half damage. Much simpler that way.


HP 42/43

Knowledge(Engineering) 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19 Fffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu...

Well unless we want to bring down some of what's above us, like, say, the palace, we'd want them as low as possible. But I really don't want to go down there with those horses. Jamros, were you trying to indicate you could control them?


Because he hasn't posted in weeks, I'm taking control of Caladrius for the moment. He attempts to aid Pygrado.

Caladrius knowledge (engineering) to aid Pygrado: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13 Success! Pygrado's result is now 21.

Ignoring Gareth's request for help with the bags, Caladrius shrugs and says "That would be bad, but how much do we need to use? Also, why don't we just shoot the horses?"


HP 42/43

Thanks, Cal!

We need to decide what effect we want. With a little powder, say, 20 bags, we can damage the door enough to slow them down. Forty bags will collapse the tunnel and hold them off for a few hours. Sixty will bring down this whole room, and probably our route out of here with it.

And we sure as a blade in the night won't want to be here when the powder goes off, regardless of how much we use.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

"A few hours isn't enough! We gotta bring down the whole room. And who says we all need to take the route to the palace? We can send a couple of us right now towards there to send word, then set up the explosion. Everybody else can take the mine access. There's the lever over there to open the door. Jamros said he could deal with the golems now, anyways."

Yeah, yeah, party splits are meh, but this could work as long as I'm interpreting "probably our route out of here with it" as just the first length of the palace passageway.


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

DM:
bluff: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17 I made up the part about controlling the dagger. If I drop the dagger, with they still not attack?

Jamros shakes his head, motioning that the smaller golems wouldn't attack him or anyone else within 60 feet as long as he controlled the dagger. He looks confused and scared.


Jamros:
You think you need to be wielding it to apply the effect.


HP: 36/36 Spells: lvl1 6/7, lvl2 5/5

I ment to say... as long as he wielded the dagger. :)

Jamros is tired, overwhelmed and scared and is looking for someone else to take charge. I personally think that collapsing the whole room is unnecessary as we really only need a moderate head start. We've got to go fast to get to the city before the spys get there, so we can't really rest. Also what happened to the cute little robot guy?


The drone hovers around, quietly observing your deliberations.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Finishing up his packing, Martin shoulder the bag and begins passing back and forth.
Strategy has never really need my strong suit, but it seems to me any blast we do down here would probably make enough noise/ impact to be heard in the city. THis would certainly warn the city to look into the mines, and any spies that might be coming from. This is how I see it, we can only take these two bags with us anyway right? I say we take what we can, light a fuse in this room and then run through the escape path. Even if it's not the best spot for the blast, it should cause enough delays for us to get a head start. Do we know anything about the defenses up ahead, because I don't think we're in any fit shape for another fight.


Knowledge (Local) DC 15:
Heading up to the palace from here would probably take you through or past the dungeons. There will certainly be guards. Given how heavily fortified this area was, it seems possible that there might be further fortifications between here and the palace to help keep this room a secret.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

knowledge local: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth huffs at the group agitatedly, "No, no, don't you see? If we put the powder where it needs to be, and we collapse this room on the army, they have to walk ALL the way back or spend days diggin around. Why wouldn't we want to stop them in their tracks? Collateral damage? There's gonna be more collateral damage if that army reaches the city or grabs hold of the rest of the powder. No point in skipping off to save the king while the palace falls and our people are slaughtered anyways!" He looks at the group expectantly, then adds, "C'mon people! This is our big chance!"

This is an important decision, so it's definitely worth discussing, but let's try to get a game plan together soonish. I've been taking a break from focusing on PBP's lately, but I'm back and ready to start hammering away at the plot when you guys are :)


Come on folks, let's get a move on. Please try to post once per day, and we will get through this fairly quickly. If I can help clarify things, I will, but what happens next is up to you.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto looks at the people around him and the silence that had taken the group. "Our goal is to warn the king and stop the army." Leto says with emotionless features. "Let's stop them. We can't fight them in our current condition and we have to send a warning. The best way to do that is to collapse the room and stop them from getting through. For the little time we have it is the best option."

With that Leto begins to use what little strength is contained within his thin, childlike body to drag the bags over to the door.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth nods at Leto, "Good kid." He drags his backpack filled with bags to the door. "We'll have to deal with those mechanical horses to get the bags in place. My arrows won't strike their metal very hard, but that's all I got."

As Gareth draws his bow and prepares to notch an arrow, he adds, "When this thing goes off, if all goes right, the palace way is going to be blocked. It'll take some time to go through the mine access route. Someone needs to split from the rest of us and deliver the message to the palace. I command some respect in the Silver Guard, I am willing to do so."

He glances around at the others, "Unless you need me to set off the trap. In which case, someone else should go in my stead."


Let's try to avoid splitting the party (because doing so would mean someone sitting out for a bit).

There are fuses inside the room with the powder. You could likely leave a long enough fuse burning to allow everyone to escape before detonation.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

I think we take what we can, set this place alight before we head out, that way they don't get the powder, and we can wait for a more strategic or accesibl point to place the charges."


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Sounds good, I'm down with avoiding a party split. For some reason I thought you were trying to make us choose between different objectives.

"This place looks as good as any for a strategic point to me. So, are we gonna chuck those bags down there, or set a fuse, or what?"

Can we take a moment here to discuss some logistics, since nobody has specifically done so yet? The dwarves are coming from the escape tunnel, which is from F19-I19 on the ground floor. The palace staircase is on A-B19 on the second level. If we chuck the bags down to the floor, they'll be in squares F15-I15ish, but we'd have to set them off remotely, likely by some kind of fuse. Alternatively, we could go down to the ground floor and set them up from a specific location. This would require us dealing with the horses, which Gareth can start at right now.

Basically, if we're going to blow this baby up, Gareth is willing to assist in things such as transporting the powder, attacking golems if necessary, and setting off fuses remotely if necessary. He has absolutely no experience with setting up explosives though, so someone else has to call the shots with the setup procedures. Gareth has already stated his case for collapsing the room.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto looks at them. "I think I might have a useful spell for this occasion. I have a spell that can light something on fire from up to 35 ft away. I suggest that we toss the powder down there with a length of fuse on one of the bags, and blow the place to kingdom come."

I suggest that we chuck them down and blow them up. I don't know how tough the horses are, but we are not in a condition for unpleasant surprises. If there are no objections I am going to start throwing them down in my next post tomorrow.


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth smiles at the mention of Leto's useful spell. "Sounds handy. And fun. Just make sure we're way the hells back before you cast it."

No objections here. Are there any from the Martin/Pygrado/Jamros/Caladrius fronts?


To clarify, how much powder are you tossing down there? Remember that the floor is 20 feet below you.


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Martin will chuck one bag of powder down towards the door, to see what happens. (hit ac 5)
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16


HP 42/43

Gareth is right. Blowing the whole room is a gamble, but the payoff seems great enough to take the risk. C'mon, we don't have much time.
Pygrado shrugs off his pack and the shortsword and grabs a bag.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Leto tosses down all the bags against the door shoving a fuse into the last one and tying two fuses together. And steps back "Let's get this show on the road."


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Gareth corrals the party to the palace stairway exit as Leto prepares to set the fuse. "Get ready to run, kid!"


M Human Paladin 2, Ranger 6

Martin is going to keep 5 bags of powder in his backpack rather then letting them go to the overall explosion.


Anyone else going to keep any?


HP: 33/45, Smite: 2/2, LoH: 3/6

Sure, why not? Gareth keeps 5 bags and the backpack on him. He should still be on light load.


HP: -11/31, 1st: 5/6, 2nd: 4/5, 3rd: 2/3, Mage Armor Active

Now that everyone seems alright and in position. Shall we start the boom boom boom? In fact I am just going to get this going we have been waiting so long. If people want powder they can just tell us that they grabbed some when they post.

Leto looks at the powder than over at Gareth, "This seems like a much worse idea than it did a few minutes ago."

Leto stands 35 feet away from the pile, as close as he can get to the way out, casts Spark, and runs like hell as fast as he can out.

At long, long last I give you Boom boom boom!!!!

1,501 to 1,550 of 2,803 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM CD's Unrest in Atlus All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.