Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Bigrin's Second Darkness

Game Master bigrin42

A foul omen looms in the sky over the scoundrel city of Riddleport, an ominous shadow that defies the light. Is it a curse laid millennia ago by forgotten mages? Does it forewarn against the return of some terrible foe? Or does it portend a terrible


401 to 450 of 3,405 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>

Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

Lefrik glances at Anklebiter, then... "It does seem odd." he looks to Saul, "And I doubt anyone will refuse the money, but I am still not convinced Smeed is as guilty as you claim. It maybe Anklebiter is right and there are others playing games in the shadows"


HP 32/46, AC 16/12/14, F +4, R +6, W +2, Init +2, Per +8 (+10 traps)

"You bring up a good point, Lefrik," Bruendor grumbled, ignoring the fact the point originally belonged to the greenskin. "Someone wants Saul and Croat fighting. The question is: who stands to gain? My guess is that it's someone who's angling in on Croat's organization. Use a small force to weaken a larger, stronger force, and then use your men to defeat the weakened force. Who cares if the small force gets crushed?"

He looks at the other people in the room. "We're that small force. If we don't figure out what the big picture is, we're in for a world of pain."


half-elf Oracle 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 22/16/20 (+4 CoS on) | F +3, R +3, W +4 | init +2, Perception +6 | CMB +4, CMD 16

Kelendra puts a hand over her new scar and blanches at the words of the dwarf.

"I don't think we want to be that smaller force. I'd say a better plan is exposing the manipulator and then creating an alliance with Croat's larger force and put ourselves on the side of those doing the crushing."


Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

"Aye, perhaps... but tonight, we need to rest and heal."He touches his own wounds lightly. "Else we will not be properly prepared for anything."


half-elf Oracle 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 22/16/20 (+4 CoS on) | F +3, R +3, W +4 | init +2, Perception +6 | CMB +4, CMD 16

Kelendra will use her three remaining cure light wounds to heal up damage that Lefrik, Bruendor, Calla, or Anklebiter may have.


Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

Lefrik will smile as he is healed, "My thanks."


Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 37/37, AC 17/12/16, F +7, R +4, W +9, Init +6, Per +12 Inquisitor 5

Calla rolls her eyes at Saul's extravagance -- No one pays more when they don't have to; I learned that lesson early on -- but says nothing.

"Then it appears we have to simply wait and see what happens next. Still, forewarned is forearmed. Next time you send someone out with a large amount of gold, though, Saul, I suggest you let us accompany him. Most of us can handle ourselves"


"Aye, I will do just that. In the meantime, we need a new floor manager and it wouldn't hurt if one of you were to step up to the post. I need someone good with people, numbers, and negotiation. Talk amongst yourselves, and if anyone wants the job, see me in the morning. Otherwise, I'd say you all earned the rest of the day and night off."

The Floor manager position is simply a badge for your character, at this point. It is relatively meaningless in terms of the campaign. Also, in deference to the relatively slow gameplay to this point, I am going to fast forward to the next scene sometime this afternoon. If you want to flex RP posts in after my next post, feel free.


Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

Lefrik looks to the others at the floor manager offer, "Such a position sounds tedious to me."


Male Goblin Wizard 5 (Abjurer); Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft,; Perception +3; AC 13 (touch 13, flatfooted 12; +2 Dex., +1 size); hp 35; Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +5

"I'm not even going to apply," Anklebiter says, grinning widely. But the smile soon fades. Provided everyone is out of hearing of Saul and the non-adventurer staff Anklebiter continues to speak: "Is something... off about our employer?"


Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

"I resent that he dismisses our judgement so cavalierly" Lefrik confesses, "A wise warchief is not so quick to heed only his own council."


HP 32/46, AC 16/12/14, F +4, R +6, W +2, Init +2, Per +8 (+10 traps)

"I can do the job, if no one else is interested. I'm no diplomat, but I've got a head for figures." This is said dispassionately - it's clear Bruendor's not eagerly jumping at the job.

"I wonder what he's not telling us," Bruendor whispered. "I think we might need to do a bit of snooping about our employer, and make certain he really is on the up and up. I'd like to believe that he's wanting to turn away from his past, but if there's one thing I've learned in Riddleport, it's that everyone has an agenda. It would take a cold and calculating man to knowingly send one of your employees to his death to have your hit squad take out the guy that you owe money to." Bruendor grimaces, partially due to the growing distaste of Riddleport, and partially because it took the greenskin mentioning this to bring any of this up.


half-elf Oracle 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 22/16/20 (+4 CoS on) | F +3, R +3, W +4 | init +2, Perception +6 | CMB +4, CMD 16

"The job is yours Bruendor, though I'll help with any diplomatic actions if needed."

When Saul has left the room, Kelendra turns to her companions and quietly voices her suspicions.

"Maybe we searched the wrong residence for signs of Larur, maybe we should have searched the Golden Goblin itself? It seems the crime of his disappearance and the attack in the kitchen both had an inside hand at work."


Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

"You think some fellow employee seeks to betray Saul?" he scratches his chin. "It might explain much."


half-elf Oracle 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 22/16/20 (+4 CoS on) | F +3, R +3, W +4 | init +2, Perception +6 | CMB +4, CMD 16

"It seems likely, who else would have known that a bag of money was on the way to the money lender and exactly who was carrying it?"


Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

Lefrik finds himself nodding, and glances at the others wondering what they make of this.


Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 37/37, AC 17/12/16, F +7, R +4, W +9, Init +6, Per +12 Inquisitor 5

"Well, we can certainly try to find out if there is anything afoot among the staff," Calla says.

Turning to Kelendra, she says, [/b]"Put on your little demon outfit again, girl, wink at a couple of the waiters and I'm sure they'll be spilling all sorts of things..."[/b]


Male Goblin Wizard 5 (Abjurer); Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft,; Perception +3; AC 13 (touch 13, flatfooted 12; +2 Dex., +1 size); hp 35; Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +5

"Better you stay with her if she does," Anklebiter suggests. "For backup, see? One female, they could just push down in the storeroom and cover her mouth. Two can wink and jiggle as one, but one can scream if the other is nabbed."


Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 37/37, AC 17/12/16, F +7, R +4, W +9, Init +6, Per +12 Inquisitor 5

"Perhaps you should put on a dress, then," Calla says acidly. "I have little interest in getting tarted up for others' amusement."


Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

"Protection, not amusement, was the greenskin's goal in this, Calla,"Lefrik shakes his head, then looks to Kelendra, "whatever means you use to search, it might be wise to take someone with you when you do it. Indeed, a look out for each scout might be the way to go."


half-elf Oracle 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 22/16/20 (+4 CoS on) | F +3, R +3, W +4 | init +2, Perception +6 | CMB +4, CMD 16

"I'll pass on the demon outfit, I know those demons come from a hot place, but that skimpy garb is too cold for my liking, especially here where Saul goes cheap on the heating, might as well call it the Colden Goblin. But even more importantly, I think any investigating we do needs to go under the notice of anyone in this establishment, we don't know who may be involved in what, or even if Saul himself is involved in what happened to Larur. Lets wait until well after closing, then this night do a bit of sneaking about to see what we uncover behind closed doors here inside our own building."


Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

"I'm with you. Besides, it might best to be out and about this night in case more trouble makers try to slip in anyway."


Male Goblin Wizard 5 (Abjurer); Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft,; Perception +3; AC 13 (touch 13, flatfooted 12; +2 Dex., +1 size); hp 35; Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +5

"oooh!" Anklebiter enthuses, grinning. "We go sneaking and spying in the dark?"


Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

"So it seems... we could use your crazed cunning, Anklebiter" A grin "So feel free to come along."


Male Goblin Wizard 5 (Abjurer); Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft,; Perception +3; AC 13 (touch 13, flatfooted 12; +2 Dex., +1 size); hp 35; Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +5

"Like you could keep me away, giant friend Lefrik Olegson," Anklebiter cackles, grinning literally from ear to ear. Goblins have very big mouths, after all. But then the grin subsides. "You just might need me."


HP 32/46, AC 16/12/14, F +4, R +6, W +2, Init +2, Per +8 (+10 traps)

"And I'll be coming as well - if only to make sure the greenskin doesn't screw this up. I hate casting aspersions at Saul, but we have to know that we're on the right side in this."


Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

"Aye," He says in response to both. I do not wish to shame my fathers


Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 37/37, AC 17/12/16, F +7, R +4, W +9, Init +6, Per +12 Inquisitor 5

"So then we wait for dark and see if we can find anything in Saul's offices? I'm sure all of us gathered there won't be at all suspicious, though at least we'll have plenty of protection."


Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

"Mmm.. if caught, we tell him we thought criminals might be breaking in? Or that we heard something suspicious?" Lefrik states. "Lying is not always a good way to go, but I think the gods will forgive us a little one."


half-elf Oracle 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 22/16/20 (+4 CoS on) | F +3, R +3, W +4 | init +2, Perception +6 | CMB +4, CMD 16

"Probably best if we're not all crammed in the office, I'll stay outside serving as a lookout and a distraction, besides I'm not that stealthy and tend to make a ruckus."


Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

"It sounds as if we are all agreed then to this endeavor." Lefrik smiles, "if anyone is not, they should speak up now."


half-elf Oracle 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 22/16/20 (+4 CoS on) | F +3, R +3, W +4 | init +2, Perception +6 | CMB +4, CMD 16

"We should not take this task lightly, Saul does pay us and biting the hand that feeds you is never a good idea. But we need truth in this matter that involves the apparent death of Larur and it seems we aren't getting that now."

"Let us choose our roles for this night time investigation and work as a team. I'll serve as a lookout and distraction if needed, i hope that someone else will join me in that task as two sets of eyes are better than one. Lefrik, I hope that's you, it seems we're better suited to standing guard and keeping curious people away, while Calla, Anklebiter, and Bruendor are better suited to searching the office."

"Do these roles sound good to each of you?"


Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

Lefrik nods, "There is wisdom in your words. I will do as you suggest."


Sneaking through the Goblin in the dead of night is a risky business, especially upstairs. The floorboards creak, and the odd geometry of the place lends itself well to bruised shins and stubbed toes. Still, not that many people live on the upper floor - just Saul and yourselves - so it is relatively quiet.

When sneaking into your boss' office, there are three main things to take into consideration. First, where is his bodyguard? It is not usually a good thing to walk in on someone whose job it is to make trouble for people who walk in uninvited. Fortunately, Bojask drinks heavily in the evenings and was passed out in his room downstairs. The second obstacle is the boss, who sleeps in the rooms next to the office area. Vancaskerin's heavy snores made that particular obstacle not much of an issue. The third is the possibility that the door to the office has a trap or alarm on it.

In this case, there was both. Bruendor found the trap, a simple tripwire that dropped kernels of dried corn on a tin plate. Anklebiter, on instinct, scanned for magic and identified a magical alarm set to a specific floorboard. With a toothy grin he pointed it out to the others, and let them know to avoid that area.

Saul's office was just as you remember it from your last visit here. The plush chairs in front of the large desk, the cigar box, and the expensive-looking snuff box. Several papers are sitting untidily on the desk, which turn out to be bills of various kinds.

A wooden door leads from the office proper into the records room. Here, rows of cabinets sit hunched like gargoyles in a dark space. A simple check shows that these cabinets are locked tight.

Everyone:

All right, make your checks, tell me what you are searching, what you are looking for, anything. Be descriptive. Have fun.

mechanics:

1d20 ⇒ 19
1d20 ⇒ 5

1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 4

1d20 ⇒ 7
1d20 ⇒ 14

1d20 ⇒ 1
1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 1
1d20 ⇒ 17


HP 32/46, AC 16/12/14, F +4, R +6, W +2, Init +2, Per +8 (+10 traps)

Why did I hear Michael Westen narrating that last passage?

Bruendor rubs a gauntleted hand across his bare chin, contemplating their next move. He looks at the rest of them, and speaks softly. "Alright, me and the greenskin will check the cabinets for traps - mundane and magical. After that, you folks can search them for clues. We might not find anything there, and even if we do, it will probably be ciphered or something. We're looking for something above and beyond the usual grift that Riddleport generates. Let me know if you think you've found something." With that, he creeps towards the cabinets to give them a good once-over.

Mechanics:

I don't think we have the luxury of taking 20 here, so here's a normal Perception check to examine the cabinets for traps and, assuming both I and Anklebiter don't find any, a Disable Device check to open them up.

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7
Disable Device: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18


Maybe because I've been watching Burn Notice on Netflix recently ;)

Bruendor didn't notice any traps or alarms on the cabinets, and it was the matter of moments to pick the simple locks. There were six cabinets full of papers. most were perfectly legible, though there were some that looked to either be in an unknown language or possible in code.

Linguistis checks for anyone who wants a crack at those

The majority of the papers seem to deal with bills of sale, employee contracts, or local licenses. For a known criminals' haven, the town of Riddleport seemed to be fairly strict on licensing.


Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

Lefrik stays on watch with Kelendra. A distracting woman she, but he realizes his allies and friend... By the gods, can I really think of Anklebitter as a friend? I suppose I do. Never thought I'd see the day, but I trust and like him. I certainly trust him more than this spot plagued city. ... they need him. And he will keep diligent watch.

Perception": 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10


Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 37/37, AC 17/12/16, F +7, R +4, W +9, Init +6, Per +12 Inquisitor 5

"Great, we've managed to find a bunch of papers we can't even read. Brilliant planning," Calla snarks as she quietly rifles through the desk, hoping for any clues as to what could be going on.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

And with that, I'm off for vacation.


half-elf Oracle 5 | HP 43/43 | AC 22/16/20 (+4 CoS on) | F +3, R +3, W +4 | init +2, Perception +6 | CMB +4, CMD 16

Kelendra serves as the look out, while her companions search the office.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23


Male Goblin Wizard 5 (Abjurer); Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft,; Perception +3; AC 13 (touch 13, flatfooted 12; +2 Dex., +1 size); hp 35; Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +5

Anklebiter gives the cabinets and the rest of the room another thorough look-over, his vision enhanced with the Detect Magic-cantrip, before he looks at the 'illegible' papers.

"Please have patience. Let red eyes see what's to be seen," the little Goblin mutters as he studies the documents.

One Linguistics check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14. If that isn't enough to decipher the papers, Anklebiter tries to copy some of them onto an empty scroll for later study.


HP 32/46, AC 16/12/14, F +4, R +6, W +2, Init +2, Per +8 (+10 traps)

Bruendor grimaces as he finds writing that none of his compatriots, or Anklebiter, can read. "Alright, if we can't read this, we make a copy and take it with us." He assists Calla in investigating the desk, then copies the strange language onto a piece of paper, taking a few of the pages beneath them as well to hide what was written on them.

Mechanics:

Perception on the desk: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20

Anything you'd like me to roll on copying the page, DM?


Spoiler:

There are about 300 sheets of documents that you can't easily read. Gonna be a long night of copying ;) I'll make it easy for you.

Though there were many sheets of paper written in the strange script, one, about 3 pages long, looked to be a detailed bill of lading. Perhaps the perfect Rosetta stone to copy out and come back later once you've deciphered the script.

In the desk, there isn't much besides some writing materials, stationary, a dagger, and a small silver cigar cutter.

With all the papers rustling and the murmurs of soft voices, it is some time before anyone notices that Saul's regular snoring has ceased.


Male Goblin Wizard 5 (Abjurer); Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft,; Perception +3; AC 13 (touch 13, flatfooted 12; +2 Dex., +1 size); hp 35; Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +5

After the copying is done, as soon as Anklebiter notices the cessation of Saul's snores, he jumps up and down and gestures at the others to 'Get out!' Assuming they head for the door, he immediately mutters the words of magic while retreating after them: "Vestimentum nebulae."

Fog fills the room. Thick, pea-soup fog, cold as the outdoors.

Provided everyone agrees to leave the room, Anklebiter casts Obscuring Mist to cover our getaway. Saul should not be able to see us, and with some quick thinking and acting, we should be able to get out of this situation without any big trouble. I know Saul will be able to see something weird happened, but the thing to do is to prevent him from linking these goings-on to us, in my less than humble opinion.


Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

Lefrik makes sure the others have a clear path when they get to his point and will let them go ahead then move after. He can run faster than them after all.


HP 32/46, AC 16/12/14, F +4, R +6, W +2, Init +2, Per +8 (+10 traps)

Yeah, I was just planning on grabbing a sheet to copy down, more or less at random, rather than the entire 300 pages of documents. That'll work.

Bruendor tidies up as best he can in the time he has, relocks the cabinet and door, resetting the trap. Leave no evidence of your passage, he thought. Just like cavescouting.


The exit was made fairly carefully, all things considered. Anklebiter stubbed his toe on one of the overstuffed chairs in the office as he scarpered. The group made their way to their rooms, with nary a pursuit, and unbeknownst to them, Saul's heavy snores picked up once more.


Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

Lefrik mutters, "I hope whatever was found was worthwhile."


Male Goblin Wizard 5 (Abjurer); Init +2; Darkvision 60 ft,; Perception +3; AC 13 (touch 13, flatfooted 12; +2 Dex., +1 size); hp 35; Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +5

"I try, I try," Anklebiter says, as he starts to pore over the 'Rosetta stone' again, trying to find the key to translating it...

Linguitics check: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15.


Half-Elf (Chelaxian) Female HP 37/37, AC 17/12/16, F +7, R +4, W +9, Init +6, Per +12 Inquisitor 5

"Well, that was exciting," Calla says as the group begins to split up after its great escape. "We've managed to steal a sheet of paper from our employer with no one the wiser. Ah'd say the rich folk of Riddleport better start makin' sure their doors are locked. Let us know when you figure out what that paper says and we can do it again..."

Back, though I may still be a little brief for a couple days while I recover and catch up on things I missed.


Male(HP:58/58; AC:17/10/17;F+8,R+3,W+2;Init +0;Per +8) Human (Ulfen) Barbarian 5

"Ah, sarcasm, the language of Riddleport?" Lefrik replies.

Welcome back

401 to 450 of 3,405 << first < prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Bigrin's Second Darkness All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.