Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Barcas - Kingmaker: Rivers Run Red

Game Master Isaac Duplechain

As Newhaven rises, threats besiege it from all directions. To the north, the news of the last heir of House Rogarvia threatens the start of a new war. To the south, an empire of trolls and monsters grows.


351 to 400 of 1,895 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>

AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 18, CMD 18, FF-CMD 17
hp; 44/44
Fort +4, Ref +0, Will -2
Conditions; Fatigued, Shaken, prone

Berrin goes crashing to the ground with a muffled "ummph!" at Jemini's tackle. Looking up at Jemini with utter confusion written all over his face he hooks a thumb at the source off the sound by way of explanation. "Don't you hear it Jem? It's so beautiful. I have to see it, I have to find the source."

Getting up (and provoking all the appropriate AoO) Berrin turns his back on Jemini and continues toward the source of the alluring music.


Male Human Fighter (Archer) 6

Zander twists away from the cleric, "Get off me Verick! You will not keep me from it! Are you so simple not to know what is offered? Listen Man!" And Zander steps around Verik and continues toward the tower.


Male Human Samurai-Ronin 4/ Oracle-Battle 2 | AC 24/ T12/ F23, HP65, F+7/ R +3/ W +7, Init +1(Roll twice), Percep +4, Sense Motive +10

More on the festival:

It's occurred to me that I should perhaps elaborate even more on Akiros' proposed festival. He wants everything possible. So there should be contests, games of chance, acrobats, performers, comedians, artisans, healings, military and/martial parade drills, even an stage play, if such actors exist in sanctuary, all for free, paid for from the city coffers (and Akiros' own purse, if necessary)

I realize that, with the lead time he's given, it certainly won't be a polished affair. But he is giving this project top priority, to the exclusion of everything else, other than the searches and patrols. Jhod is to use whatever resources, both monetary and humanoid, he deems necessary. And the planning of it can be ongoing of course. So, while i will certainly be rough around the edges I definitely see it as something that's doable. Unless it's not?

Akiros has made himself available to provide whatever input and aid he is able to give.

You need anything more from me on this, just let me know


male human barbarian 4, ranger 2

Nikolai steps over Verik, looking down on him with a sneer. He moves over to stand in front of Zander and holds out his hand. Stand down, Warden. Or I'll take my helm back.


Male Human Fighter (Archer) 6

Obivious to who is in his way, "Is that what you want? Here. Now get out of my way." Zander wrenches the helm from his head, dislodging the headband in the process. He presses the helm into Nikolai's arms, and the flash of metal falling from within it, marking the illusion-bearing headband dropping onto the blighted surface. Zander moves to the side, still pressing the helm like a shield at Nikolai, thus allowing his burned visage to once again take in the tower, as he moves forward.


male human barbarian 4, ranger 2

The Stag pushes back at the Warden. [B]You miss the point. You're enchanted. And I'll not hesitate to lay you on your back.[/]


Male Human Fighter (Archer) 6

Pushing back against the helm, still trying to get clear. "No. Here. You play with that. There will be no laying, lest everyone GET OUT OF MY WAY!"


male human barbarian 4, ranger 2

The big man takes a step back and holds his hands up, one holding the cracked helm he wore when he died. Wish I'd let you keep this on, then. he says as he clenches his dree hand into a white-knuckled fist and swings.

[Ooc]rage, rouch attack, establish dominance. 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (7) + 10 = 17/ooc]


INITIATIVE
Berrin 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (11) + 0 = 11
Jemini 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16
Nikolai 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19
Taisper 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7
Verik 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (12) - 2 = 10
Zander 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Surprise Round, Initiative 19

Unarmed vs. Zander 1d4 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7 (nonlethal)

Nikolai cracks Zander in the face with a powerful blow, striking him before he the archer can react. He draws his fist back for another strike, but the archer is already moving again towards the source of the music. The song floats downwards from the apex of the tower, hauntingly beautiful and alluring. Even now, it draws on the others, though they seem to be able to avoid it. Berrin and Zander, though, continue their unrushed, inexorable walk to the siren's call. The others all react now that Nikolai has moved to stronger action.

Berrin and Zander will make it to the base of the tower on their turns during round 5. They cannot do anything except move towards the source of the song, including defend themselves (except simple avoidance). They must take the most direct path.


Tandlara gazes upon him with alien eyes, seemingly gauging him as one inspects a pumpkin or a pet. Her voice comes as a whisper through elven lips, the faint touch of the ancient accent of her native tongue audible as she speaks. "There are other ways. Arcane ways. Avenues opened to me." She takes the dagger and quickly slashes her own palm, letting the blood flow freely. It drips on the floor as she makes a fist and tightens. She kneels down next to it and starts drawing with it like crimson ink. She traces a wide circle as Akiros watches, with strange runes (not Elven, he notes) along the inside radius. She whispers as she draws the runes in a hissing language before standing. She takes a opal the size of her thumb from inside her tunic, taking a moment to dip it in her own blood. It turns red as she coats it. Tandlara encloses her hands around the opal and blows into her hands like a swordless vagrant trying to keep warm on the streets of Mivon. When she opens her hands, reddish dust comes out. She sprinkles it over the still-wet blood circle, which fades away as it comes into contact with the dust. "Akirrrrrrrooooosssss Issssssssssmorrrrrttt..." She whispers his name as the circle fades under the power of the spell.

"When your blood touches, it will activate the symbol. Choose wisely, for it only will last an hour. While the symbol is active, any shapeshifter who walks over its face will be revealed. Choose wisely." As she gives his instructions, a strange look crosses over her face. Akiros cannot tell if it is horror, dread, or ecstacy. She gasps and collapses in front of him. Akiros kneels next to her to check on her. Tandlara lives and breathes, but her breathing is rapid, ragged, and shallow. Whatever dark magics course through her are taking a toll.

The festival will grow from its current size (in large part likely because of Bokken's booze) soon. It's a frontier town and relatively short on entertainers, but they should be able to scrounge up some people. It will probably have to rely on military drills, but that always runs the risk of alienating the populace.


Male Human Samurai-Ronin 4/ Oracle-Battle 2 | AC 24/ T12/ F23, HP65, F+7/ R +3/ W +7, Init +1(Roll twice), Percep +4, Sense Motive +10

The ex-Paladin involuntarily takes a step back as the witch begins practising her deviltry in his very room, on his very floor. 'How many times could I have, should I have killed her already for her vile offences against what is right and good? How many times will I regret not having done so?'

His face cold and impassive, he stops himself from violently interrupting her casting and allows her to complete her spell. He cannot, however, stop the chill which rushes up his spine as she whispers his name.

While Tandlara finishes her profane rites and gives instruction, Akiros gazes upon her intensely, searching for whatever shreds of humanity and goodness there might yet remain in her; assuming there ever were any. He wants to trust her in this, he needs to, for if her spell can do what she says it can, it might just possibly be the salvation to their dilemma they so desperately need. He is very far, though, from trusting[ her, or that the spell can and will do as she says. Or that it won't do anything besides what she says it will.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15

Despite his feelings for her though, when she collapses he instinctively rushes forward to catch her. Letting her down gently he determines she is still alive and sits back on his heels for a moment. Unconsciously avoiding looking at the symbol, he comes to a decision I must consult Jhod on this, and I cannot keep Tandlara's dark secret to myself any longer.'

Rising, he picks up the unconscious woman, very carefully steps around the symbol, and exits the room, closing (and locking, if possible) the door behind him. Placing the founder in a cot outside the door, or as comfortably as possible upon the floor if there is no where else, he stands and gives orders to the guard. "I go to fetch the priest. No one, and I mean no one is to enter my room until I return. Even when I do, do not let me enter unless I give the password 'brandywine'. If she wakes up, trying and dissuade her from leaving and indicate that I shall be returning very soon." Once the guard has acknowledged his full understanding of his orders, Akiros hurriedly dons his armor and departs to find Jhod.

Am I understanding correctly that for Tandlara's spell to work the shape-shifter would have to actually enter Akiros' room and walk over the symbol? If this is not correct, I may change Akiros' actions


That is correct. Akiros is now bait.


Male Human Cleric (Abadar) 5th / Fighter 1st / AC 24/10T/24F / HP 47 / F +9 R +2 W +10 / Init. +0 / Perc. +5 / Sense Motive +13

"What is the meaning of this?" Verik's face turns a shade of red as he clenches his free hand, watching with dismay at the struggle between Nikolai and Zander escalate, his friend's headband strewn haphazardly upon the ground. "Do you draw your dreadful blade next to keep him at bay and think you are justified for it? Reign in your urges of haphazard violence!"


male human barbarian 4, ranger 2

[/ooc]The Stag barely contains the impulse to atrike out at Verik instead. and what, priest? Let your friend be eaten by whatver awaits him? Lock your judgments behind your teeth.

He steps back again and sizes up the Warden, then crashes his fist into the smaller man's thigh. Looking back at Verik, he concludes While I let you keep them.

I was under the impression I'd grappled Zander, thus the touch attack. But then Paizo sometimes eats my posts and I was editing it all by phone. So long as we're all clear it's all subdual damage.

touch attack 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15 cmb 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30 damage 1d3 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9

[Ooc]oh. And I'm worn out from bad dreams. If I haven't received any mercy benefits, my rolls take a penalty.


Jemini calls to Verik, "Is there some divine magic that can stay the compulsion from their minds?"

Protection from evil might work?


Protection from Evil would give a new save with a +2 morale bonus if the source is evil. If successful, it would suppress the effect for the duration of the spell. The DC is 17.


Male Human Cleric (Abadar) 5th / Fighter 1st / AC 24/10T/24F / HP 47 / F +9 R +2 W +10 / Init. +0 / Perc. +5 / Sense Motive +13

Caught up before his latest retort to Nikolai by Jemini's words, he replies, "Possibly so if the singer embodies either Woe or Chaos, but to which or neither I cannot say for certain!" Verik seems poised to jump towards the fight between Zander and Nikolai, but hesitates as he looks to where Jemini and Berrin are.

Ya I have one each of Pro. from Evil and Pro. from Chaos ready, but since I can't make the Knowledge Check I didn't want to assume.


INITIATIVE
24 Zander
19 Nikolai
16 Jemini
11 Berrin
10 Verik
7 Taisper

It is Round 1. It was Zander's turn (which seemed to have gotten skipped - but not like Zander can do anything), then Nikolai's (in which he hits him again for 9 nonlethal damage, for a total of 16 nonlethal damage). So, it is Jemini's turn.


Male Human Fighter (Archer) 6

Yeah, I just chocked up my turn as trying to move.


Akiros leaves the castle amidst the sounds of the festivities. The gnomish enthusiasm is doing an ample job of distracting the citizens, the number of whom has swelled to at least ten score, or perhaps even more. Even with hundreds attending the festival, thousands more are still in the areas of unrest. The guards and soldiers, deployed in groups of four, still cross through the city with very few of the people still on the street. One of the groups tells him that Jhod is on the poorer side of Sanctuary, farthest from the shore of the lake.

He thanks them, heading out of the east castle gate. He is certainly an imposing figure in his armor and with his bastard sword sheathed on his hip. He strides over the deserted streets, leather boots striking against the cobblestones and echoing through the buildings. The sounds of the festival fade away as he makes it further away from the castle. The signs of the earlier riots mar the orderliness of the city - a scorched building, broken windows, a pool of dried blood. The doors remain shut, though a few windows remain open with citizens peering from behind the shutters out at him.

Four of the gray-cloaked city guards rush up to him as he passes beyond the bakery, cold and closed for the first day in months. He does not recognize the guards, as they are not his soldiers. They approach him with their short spears pointed upward - ready for violence but not overly aggressive. One of them, a middle-aged man with graying hair who still appears fit, engages him in conversation. "Sir, per your orders, we have to ask you to prove your identity. What is the current password?"


Male Human Samurai-Ronin 4/ Oracle-Battle 2 | AC 24/ T12/ F23, HP65, F+7/ R +3/ W +7, Init +1(Roll twice), Percep +4, Sense Motive +10

Ha! Nice one. Well, I am assumning that Akiros is aware of what the passwords are, or at least is aware of the system of rotation they are using, as he's the one that set it up. If this is not the case though, then I shall try and think my way out of this latest pretty littke trap you've set for him


Male Human Samurai-Ronin 4/ Oracle-Battle 2 | AC 24/ T12/ F23, HP65, F+7/ R +3/ W +7, Init +1(Roll twice), Percep +4, Sense Motive +10

Ha! Nice. Well, I am assuming that Akiros knows the password, or at least the system of password rotation, even if I don't, as he was the one to set it up. If this is not the case though I shall do my best to think our way out of this lateest pretty little trap you've set for him.


"Tatzlwyrm" was the most recent password, as Tandlara used it to get into Akiros' room. Akiros changed it to "brandywine" for the room, but that hasn't gotten to the city guard yet.


Male Human Samurai-Ronin 4/ Oracle-Battle 2 | AC 24/ T12/ F23, HP65, F+7/ R +3/ W +7, Init +1(Roll twice), Percep +4, Sense Motive +10

The general smiles in genuine pleasure and pride that the guardsmen are doing their job so well. He gives the password he knows and finishes with "Excellent job men, I'm impressed with your manners and cilvility. Give me your names, for good men are exactly what we need right now. I'll be adding a commendation to all of your records. Ah, yes, one more thing, I was informed that the magistar was around these parts. Do you happen to know exactly where he is?"


Male Human Cleric (Abadar) 5th / Fighter 1st / AC 24/10T/24F / HP 47 / F +9 R +2 W +10 / Init. +0 / Perc. +5 / Sense Motive +13

As Zander was simply trying to move and Nikolai hit him a second time, I'll throw Verik's next action in as it appears Jemini and Berrin are in their own struggle for this round.

Round 1, Initiative 10
HP 28/28; AC20/10T/20F
Effects: Shaken

Free: Speak
MA: Move to Flank Zander w/ Nikolai
SA: Uses Domain Command Power (Su) on Zander

Verik sees Zander's tortured face now set with fresh wounds, and setting his jaw steps forward to put Zander between himself and Nikolai, finding his words as he does so. "Yes keep my teeth, NOW I hear the words of the true man as I remember from last year - you only lack drunkenness and a shout for more ale as you ply your pain!"

Looking at Zander he says, "Oh for goodness sakes Zander you must stop for your own good - FALL onto your belly this instant!"

Zander's Will Save vs. Command DC15 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

To Zander however, it is clear the song's pull is stronger than the commanding urge of Verik's shout, the lack of compliance clear to the cleric in an instant. "Bloody balls!"


Round 1, Initiative 16

Jemini hesitates uncharacteristically, seemingly torn between the need to do something to prevent Zander and Berrin from walking into a dangerous situation and to avoid hurting them. The two shuffle along to the source of beautiful music. Alarmingly, at least one more voice has joined the melody, harmoniously mixing notes with the first.

Round 1, Initiative 7

SA: Cast expeditions retreat

Taisper follows the others, seemingly unconcerned with the situation they find themselves in. He has been morose and quiet this entire trip, seeming highly distracted. He stops and mutters something to himself as the others try to slow the entranced pair. When he looks up, he rushes forward in an easy jog, quickly catching up and surpassing the others wit magically enhanced speed. He grins at the gift of speed from Abadar, one of the few times in the last few days.


The guards look to each other as they listen to Akiros's praise. To his confusion, they do not seem to be taking pride in his words, but instead seem alarmed. They look at the veteran that leads them, who gives an almost imperceptible nod. As one, they turn to Akiros and lower their spears to point at him. The rugged leader speaks for them. "The General gave us our new password not half an hour ago. It seems you're in need of an update, witch. Seize her!"

DM Rolls:

Akiros 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Guards 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

INITIATIVE
11 Guards
9 Akiros

Round 1, Initiative 11

The four guards hold their spears towards Akiros, ready to run him through. One seems especially eager to spear him, almost spitting out at him, "This is for Cap'n Corwin!" Still, not even he attacks, giving the "doppelganger" a chance to surrender.


male human barbarian 4, ranger 2

Nikolai stops at Verik's insult. He physically turns away from Zander and steps right to the priest's side. His face is flush and his eyes alarmingly shot with blood.

Gods take you, you insolent bastard! How about I let your friend walk to his doom until you swear to hold your tongue? And if he dies, I'll guarantee him that justice will find you through my blade!

Nikolai strikes nor grapples no one this round, but he will hold an action to grapple Verik if the cleric assaults him in any way.

I know maybe I shouldn't refrain from action while raging, but it's rage that drives him to showdown with Verik. You can dock me a point or let me come out of rage as you see fit.


Male Human Cleric (Abadar) 5th / Fighter 1st / AC 24/10T/24F / HP 47 / F +9 R +2 W +10 / Init. +0 / Perc. +5 / Sense Motive +13

"Justice? JUSTICE! How DARE you speak of..." Verik stands head-to-shoulder with Nikolai, his face beet red and his voice's pitch at a near shriek as he clutches his holy symbol, spittle unintentionally flying from his lips. "Then STRIKE ME and PROVE to ALL that it was a MISTAKE for you to be let back to this world!"

Verik Bluff w/ Shaken 1d20 + 2 - 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 - 2 = 2 heh

Sense Motive DC2:
Oh yeah he's scared of Nikolai. Nightmare terrors didn't help much either


Male Human Cleric (Abadar) 5th / Fighter 1st / AC 24/10T/24F / HP 47 / F +9 R +2 W +10 / Init. +0 / Perc. +5 / Sense Motive +13

Okay so I'm thinking for the Candlemere fight we're into Round 2 now and with Nikolai and Verik yukking it up it's Zander's turn to move to the tower? Then it's up to Jemini then?


"Verik! A second opinion if you will, quickly: what if we simply follow with Zander and Berrin? Getting at the source of this problem should also make these two snap out of it. And we want to clear the curse about this place anyway."


Male Human Cleric (Abadar) 5th / Fighter 1st / AC 24/10T/24F / HP 47 / F +9 R +2 W +10 / Init. +0 / Perc. +5 / Sense Motive +13

Not taking his eyes off of Nikolai for what may happen next, he replies, "I...well pick one and hold him long enough for me to try a Warding as you said, and maybe we can at least break the spell on him!"


Male Human Samurai-Ronin 4/ Oracle-Battle 2 | AC 24/ T12/ F23, HP65, F+7/ R +3/ W +7, Init +1(Roll twice), Percep +4, Sense Motive +10

Ah yes, very pretty trap, very pretty indeed. : ) And oh, meant to ask this before, so do we have an idea about where the rangers might be on their search for the founders, given the different timelines?

For an eternal moment, all is held in frozen tableau. The general's face glacialy melting from pleased friendliness to surprised sternness. 'Damn that witch for putting these good men in danger like this' is the General's first thought, concerned not at all for his own safety, but only for the guardsmen, should things go awry.

Several options race through Akiros' mind, but very quickly he realizes only one of them has the best chance of guaranteeing the safety of these men currently under his command.

Hands raising slowly, palms facing facing the guardsmen, and eyes not breaking contact with those of the leader for an instant, the General of Sanctuary's Army surrenders. His voice utterly calm and filled with the full strength and confidence of his authority, he speaks "I place myself under your authority (using his proper rank, if discernable), but before you proceed here, I caution you to do so very carefully. That thrice cursed witch is a clever one, I'll give her that. Yet I blame only myself, for I should have foreseen just such an eventuality as this. Through no fault of your own, men, you have been dangerously misled. For I am Akiros Ismort, General of Sanctuary's army and your commanding officer at present, since that cursed dopplgangger slew my friend Corwin, your former Captain. Now, I do not ask you to believe me solely by my words alone, but I ask you to consider your next actions very carefully. First, I ask you simply to consider- what if it is true that I am indeed who I say I am, and that the creature you spoke with earlier was in fact the shapeshifter wearing my form. Do you at least grant that such a thing is possible? Second, if I am the general of Sanctuary's army, then surely you have seen me fight, or at least heard stories, so you must know that, should my words be true, the four of you would stand little chance of defeating me. So then, this is what I suggest. When first I saw you, I asked if you knew the whereabouts of the Magister. I say, bring me to him. Keep your guard up, spears pointed at me as they are now, and stop me well short of him, to help ensure his safety should I not be who I say. I am well known to Jhod, and, along with the help of his God, he should be able to quickly divine the truth or falsehood of what I say."

Akiros then pauses for a moment, his stare, if anything, becoming even more intense. After a beat he continues "If you will not agree to this, then, follow your orders, and bring me to...myself"

Is it possible to make an Intimidate roll not to scare them, but to display the force of Akiros' personality? If so, here it is, Intimidate: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14 If not, then just make it a Diplomacy roll, which would be one point less.

Also, it appears they have given up their initiative to me? If this is the case, then Akiros will also ready an action to step back 5' and fight in full defence, only doing subdual damage, should that become necessary


Male Human Fighter (Archer) 6

"Hush. Do you hear? There are more than one. No need for fighting." Zander continues to close on the tower.


male human barbarian 4, ranger 2

The Stag stands his ground, waiting for Verik to insult him again. I asked if we should just follow them and was told to restrain them. I restrain them and this kitten of a man passes judgment. So may I should sit this one out until he learns some tespect, or failing that, to keep his tongue.


"Okay, you guys see if you can bring Zander to his senses - I'll follow along with Berrin and try to keep him out of trouble." Well... more trouble, she adds to herself.


Male Human Cleric (Abadar) 5th / Fighter 1st / AC 24/10T/24F / HP 47 / F +9 R +2 W +10 / Init. +0 / Perc. +5 / Sense Motive +13

Moving ahead with Verik's turn as he may be able to set something up here for the next round, but I'll retcon as necessary if you have something else ahead of him.

Round 2, Initiative 10
HP 28/28; AC20/10T/20F
Effects: Shaken

Free: Speak
MA: Move to Flank Berrin with Jemini
SA: Uses Inevitable Domain Command Power (Su) on Berrin

The words from Jemini, from Nikolai, from Jemini again clash with the unearthly allure of the dreaded choir. Verik watches Zander move to what may be his doom, with only Taisper ahead of him now. Watching his cousin's relative calm snaps him back to his duty and his training, fighting back the fear and chaos threatening to take hold of him...almost.

By the First you will feel my Judgment in the chains placed upon you when we return to Sanctuary... "Taisper! Restrain Zander so I can touch him, but do not harm him!" Verik briskly moves away from Nikolai towards Berrin and Jemini, gesturing with his hand as he does so. "BERRIN! FALL to your knees this instant!"

Berrin's Will Save w/ Shaken vs. DC15 1d20 + 0 - 2 ⇒ (10) + 0 - 2 = 8 Woot Prone!

With a grunt of satisfaction at seeing Berrin's legs fail him over the siren's song, he says, "Now hold him still Jemini, and I will try to bolster his mind against this madness!"


I'm going to ahead to round 3, with real foes this time! Just assume that you're about 250 feet away from the entrance to the tower for now, and I'll generate a map when you're closer. Berrin's round 3 action, as per command, will be to go prone.

As tensions seem to come to a boil between Verik and Nikolai, Zander and Berrin continue to shuffle towards the source of the sound with Jemini trailing them and Taisper doing his own thing. The musical chorus grows to a third voice, delighting the entranced pair but alarming the others. Half a moment after the song is joined, the source of the enthralling music makes itself known as a trio of harpies takes flight from atop the ruined tower. Berrin looks torn between them and Verik's magical command to knell, but the magic of Abadar is clearly holding true. Two of the harpies are clearly younger than the third, who sings with the most powerful and beautiful voice. Even from the great distance, she seems noticeably more charismatic and alluring than the younger pair, though she is covered in the telltale filth of harpies. The others flap their wings somewhat uncertainly, looking at her for guidance, while she nocks an arrow into a bow. A handful of half-starved, emaciated-looking men stumble out from inside the ruins, carrying rusted weapons amid their filthy and bloody clothes. They stumble towards the interlopers with a dull, vacant look in their eyes.

GM Rolls:

INITIATIVE
Enthralled Humans 1d20 ⇒ 14
Harpy 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21
Young Harpy (x2) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

INITIATIVE
24 Zander
22 Young Harpies
21 Harpy
19 Nikolai
16 Jemini
14 Enthralled Humans
11 Berrin
10 Verik
7 Taisper


Male Human Cleric (Abadar) 5th / Fighter 1st / AC 24/10T/24F / HP 47 / F +9 R +2 W +10 / Init. +0 / Perc. +5 / Sense Motive +13

Verik looks up at the tower even as he prepares his next prayer to try and aid Berrin. With an sharp intake of breath he whispers, "More foul spawn of Lamashtu, now I see..."

So Verik will focus the next two rounds if able to try and use his two Protection spells to give Berrin and Zander a chance to get back into the fight, then aid the party. Can we get a call on initiative - are we at the top with Zander or at 19 with Nikolai after the harpies have technically moved?


male human barbarian 4, ranger 2

Nikolai eyes the harpies, and then their fools. He advances without even looking back to his companions, drawing his greatsword as he moves forward.


Initiative 16
AC 24; HP 35/35
Standard action: detect evil
Move action: focus on pretty harpy
If evil: smite evil

"Lamashtu? That would mean..." Jemini's eyes fill with a blue halo and she looks first at the group of harpies - then specifically at the one that stands out the most.

If they/she detect as evil

"Berrin! Zander! Snap out of it! These are dangerous minions beholden to dark and evil ways! The gods themselves mark them with an aura of vile evil!"


Male Human Fighter (Archer) 6

Rnd 3, Init. 24.

Is the appearance of strange armed men a threat that would allow another save? Otherwise shuffle forward.

Will save if needed:
[ooc]Will Save -> 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

20 AC; 36/36HP; Status: Enthralled


It does not trigger a new save for Zander unless they attack. They have to be within 60' to detect as evil for Jemini, but it's pretty obvious looking at them.

Round 3, Initiative 21
Young Harpy (x2): 24/24 hp; AC16/13T/13FF; +2F/+9R/+4W

SA: Captivating Song
MA: Fly 50'

Both the younger harpies fly towards the oncoming group, twirling in the air and never letting their song falter. It is a stunning sight and a performance in and of itself. If the creatures weren't so hideous and foul, it would be a beautiful sight. It likely looks that way to Zander and Berrin, and to the rest of the thralls.

Round 3, Initiative 21
Harpy : 58/58 hp; AC16/13T/13FF; +5F/+11R/+10W

SA: Perform: Song 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (4) + 18 = 22 - Inspire Courage
MA: Fly 40'

The center harpy, flying somewhat behind the younger pair, starts a new song while the others maintain the melody to their song. Hers is a shrill, exciting song that reaches crescendo after crescendo. She pulls the arrow back in her bow, pointing it at the group, seemingly ready to launch a deadly rain towards them.


Sense Motive 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

The veteran pauses for a moment to let Akiros's words sink in, with the others looking at him for guidance. He grits his teeth and tightens his grip on the spear. "You'll have to give up your weapon and consent to being restrained." For emphasis, the one who spoke earlier taps a pair of manacles hanging from his hip without taking his eyes off Akiros. The spears of all four remain pointed directly at him as they await his answer.

Sense Motive DC 3:

Bluff 1d20 ⇒ 3

The veteran leader of the group doesn't seem to believe Akiros. The doppelganger's lies must have seemed even more truthful than the actual truth.


male human barbarian 4, ranger 2

At 80', I want to charge. I dunno if that's this round or next. The exception is if I can hit a harpy in melee.


Male Human Samurai-Ronin 4/ Oracle-Battle 2 | AC 24/ T12/ F23, HP65, F+7/ R +3/ W +7, Init +1(Roll twice), Percep +4, Sense Motive +10

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11

Akiros's looks at the leader for a moment, getting the full measure of the man, easily sensing that his words to the guardsmen had not been believed. It made sense that a creature that could take the form of anyone it chose would also be an accomplished liar. Still though, he would continue to do everything he could to avoid hurting this innocent men.

Hands still up he says calmly "I see you still do not believe me. It seems the shapeshifter's lies were even more convincing than my truth. Unfortunately, his does not surprise me. I'm curious though, for I wonder if the shapeshifter powers extend to her being able to actually remove her sword, my sword, and present it to you." at this point he unties his sword belt and holds it flat on his palms. He then withdraws the blade a fraction, just enough for all to see the obvious quality and magical nature of the blade. Fully sheathing the blade again he continues.

"So, tell me your name, Guardsman. For I may agree to surrender my weapon to you personally, if you tell me where you have decided to take me."

After a moment of silence, he says with all the terrible force of his will "I shall not, however, be shackled in my own city."


@Nikolai 300' separated you guys from the harpies at the beginning of the round. The harpies moved forward 40' and 50', so they are currently 260'/250' away. The humans moved 40' towards you, so they're 260' off.

Round 3, Initiative 14
Enthralled Humans (x4): hp 5/10; AC8/8T/8FF; -2R/+1F/-2W

FRA: Move 40'

The four men are in various states of raggedness as they shuffle towards the Founders. Filth stains their half-rotted clothing, as does blood and ichor. The men's muscles sag with weakness from disuse and malnutrition, though the bloody bite marks in their limbs show that they still have at least one source of food. Two of the men have only one hand, while another limps lamely upon a single foot. Only one of the four enthralled captives seems to be intact in body, though not mind: Gregary, their lost Warden, is clearly the most recent and healthiest addition to the horrific pack. No recognition flickers in his glazed eyes. He has dropped one, perhaps two stones since they saw him last when he embarked south, but he does live.

Berrin is up, then Verik and Taisper (who I will likely have to DMPC).


@Akiros The veteran (though where he became a veteran, Akiros is not sure) listens to the general's conditions and bears down upon him with a steely gaze borne from years of making difficult and necessary decisions. This is another of those decisions as the man weighs the potential for danger, the potential for being wrong, and the costs of being too wrong. He grits his teeth as he makes a decision one way or another. "I don't know the extent of the magic, or really much about magic at all. Who's the say that the blade is real, or that you don't have more weapons that I cannot see? What I do know is that I won't let any potential enemy remain unshackled until I have proof." He nods to the others, who step forward with their spears slightly and wait for him.

Round 1, Initiative 11
Veteran Guardsman: 28/28 hp; AC 16/10T/16FF; +4F/+1R/+2W

SA: Disarm vs Akiros

The veteran leaders move first, lunging at Akiros with his shortspear. It is not an attack at his vitals or intended to harm him, but rather aims at separating his grip on his weapon. Akiros, swift and ready for the attack, must decide in a moment how to respond.

You have the option of (a)interrupting his action with your above readied action and moving your Initiative to 11, (b)using an attack of opportunity and staying at Initiative 9, or (c)both, moving to Initiative 11. Remember, your weapon is sheathed, though I suppose it doesn't really matter since a samurai of your level has the Weapon Expertise ability that acts as Quick Draw.


Round 3, Initative 11
AC 19, touch 12, flat-footed 18, CMD 18, FF-CMD 17
hp; 44/44
Fort +4, Ref +0, Will -2
Conditions; Fatigued, Shaken, Enthralled.

A tear glistens in Berrin's eyes as he stares with a euphoric smile at the beauty of the intricate patterns of the harpy pairs flight, their grace, their bearing and the way the sun reflected of their delicate feathers all add to, in Berrin's mind, the alluring song they sing for him.

Striding forward with that smile on his face Berrin can't take his eyes of the two harpies and the only sound he registers is the beautiful song they sing just for him.

FRA; Double move 60' toward harpies.


Male Human Cleric (Abadar) 5th / Fighter 1st / AC 24/10T/24F / HP 47 / F +9 R +2 W +10 / Init. +0 / Perc. +5 / Sense Motive +13

Well Berrin you may need a retcon on that as my last action should have Commanded you prone. In the event you could get up and still make a move I'll burn my 30' Move to keep pace with you.

Round 3, Initiative 10
HP 28/28; AC20/10T/20F
Current Effects: Shaken

Free: Speak
MA: Move 30' (if needed to keep w/ Berrin)
SA: Cast Protection from Evil on Berrin

"Berrin stay put! Verik struggles to keep Berrin at bay from the beasts that entrance him - he reaches out to channel the energies of Abadar into a suitable ward to free his addled mind. "With the Master's Grace I bestow to thee a boon against these wicked foulspawn! Be fortified from this song of Woe and...and wake up blast you!" Verik falters in his last words as he rushes to smack his hand firmly against Berrin's back shoulder.

Touch Attack vs. Berrin w/ Shaken 1d20 + 5 - 2 ⇒ (12) + 5 - 2 = 15

Woot! So good so far. So Berrin make that new Will Save vs. the harpy song with a +2 Morale Bonus and be free my brother! You also get the +2 Deflection AC vs. Evil and +2 Resistance Saves vs. Evil for 40 Rounds.

351 to 400 of 1,895 << first < prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Barcas - Kingmaker: Rivers Run Red All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.