Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Barcas - First Steps (PFS) (Inactive)

Game Master Isaac Duplechain

A group of Pathfinders embarks on their first missions, discovering that things in the Society are not as simple as delving dungeons and discovering treasures.


201 to 250 of 428 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>

Perception DC 15:
While pretty girls are nowhere to be seen, a strangely inconspicuous man seems to be eyeing them from across an avenue as the Pathfinders exit the Lodge. His short-cropped light brown hair and forgettable brown eyes do nothing to make him stand out, nor does his rumpled worker's clothing and heavy coat. If not for them looking intently, none would likely see him at all. For all they can tell, he may have been shadowing him the entire time, or he may simply be a worker stopping for a quick break. The crowds quickly envelop him again, easily shielding him from view.

The Pathfinders walk through the upscale merchant district outside the Ascendant Court, where large shops sell expensive-looking wares. Beautiful women line the street, giggling as they go from shop to shop. As they walk towards the docks, the stores turn into open-air bazaars where merchants loudly hawk their wares and compete for attention (and coin). Soon, only sellers of ill repute remain, and the Pathfinders hold tight onto their hard-earned coin purses as Varisian youths eye them aimlessly from their perches.

The four arrive at the Pickled Imp, a creepy shop containing myriad odds and ends. A door that is more beads than wood jangles as they enter, with a tiny bell announcing their presence. A number of malformed creatures and creature parts bob in jars on a long, prominent shelf, a tiny fetal devil centered in this macabre lineup. The shopkeeper, a greasy-haired Varisian with a thin moustache, shouts from behind the cluttered counter. "Ah yes, I see the Pathfinders have arrived. I'm glad Ambrus was able to lend a few of his new recruits to help me. Please come in and let me tell you what I need."

Kehl:
This is Guaril Karela, a Varisian fence who heads the Sczarni crime syndicate in Absalom. His hands are in dozens of pots, and dozens are in his. He is a man of some reputation, hardly any of it good.

Looking around as if to be absolutely sure no customers are browsing the aisles of knock-off Thuvian burial urns or supposed Azlanti porcelain, he begins again. "Well met. I am Guaril Karela. A friend of mine has a warehouse near here and received a parcel on behalf of me and some of my associates, but there's a problem. See, Master Gelbane had to leave town in a hurry and our shipment is still waiting in his warehouse. Rumor is he ended up in trouble with the law and the place was seized. I heard tell from someone down at the docks that some creep was snoopin' around his warehouse just the other night, so I want to make sure nothing of mine was taken. He keeps all kinds of things, from beer to nails, in that old pelican, but every now and then he stores something really special. This is one of those cases."

He takes a moment, then continues in his nasally voice. "There's a big crate marked with three crows arranged in a triangle. Inside that crate is a smaller container with a few books and papers in it. That's the only parcel I'm interested in, and as far as I'm concerned, you can help yourself to the rest of the crate. Honestly, anything else you want in the place, too. I'm sure that once things get sorted out, the city will seize most everything else anyway... My associates and I often work with the Pathfinders when it comes to special relics and documents, getting them in and out of ports and across borders where the authorities ask too many questions. Most people don't realize what they have and frankly many don't deserve to have it, so sometimes we help take the good off their hands. If things work out well and you get this done, I'd be glad to talk with you more and help you out in any future endeavors, as long as you help me out too. I'm good at returning favors. Trust me."

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Dasiji blinks at more than one of Guaril Karela's statements. Ah. So it's like that. "Well met. I am Dasiji Lekaya, and these are my friends." He gestures vaguely. "This isn't exactly what we were expecting; but if you'll tell us where this warehouse is, then we'll figure it out on the way." Dasiji makes eye contact with his comrades and makes a slight gesture with his head, looking toward the door, then turns back to Guaril. "Naturally, due to your associates' work with ours, you can trust in our discretion regardless of our success."

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Astyannax listens the oily merchant's patter. Most people don't realize what they have....don't deserve...take off their hands..

He looks around the shop at the sundry items.

I trust this one as far as I can throw him. No, I can throw him farther than that.

He doesn't say anything, waiting for the others to reply instead.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Kehl stays silent, throughout, keeping to the back of the group and trying to shrink himself deeper into his hooded cloak

This is bad... very bad. Worse even...

He hastily follows Dasiji as he exits, breathing again only when he is outside.

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 6

Quintus follows the others to the docks, too focused on the crowds near the merchants to notice anything else.

At the Pickled Imp he remains silent while Dasiji speaks, questioning Karela when the ranger finishes. "Heard tell from someone... does that mean you have people watching this warehouse? If so, are they aware that you've requested the aid of Pathfinders to retrieve an item from said warehouse? I'd hate to run into trouble just because of a misunderstanding."

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

As they approach the docks, Astyannax says to the group, "Perhaps one of you stealthier folks should scout out the warehouse, rather than all of us just walking up to the door?"

"There's no guarantee the place is empty."


Sorry for the delay, folks. Life hit me rather hard last week, and I spent most of the weekend recovering from the exhaustion. I should hopefully be pretty on top of things this week!

Guaril Karela seems to get oilier as the conversation continues, as if it streams from his mouth straight onto his moustache and hair. He answers Quintus's questions, though the Taldan is the only one who seems willing to speak to him directly. "Let's just say I got some friends in high places. You ain't gotta worry about bein' bothered, at least not from nobody I know. You just gotta get there before some other elements get a hold of it. Seedier elements, you know?"

He looks over at Kehl with a suspicious eye and a cocked head as he speaks. "'Ey, don't I know you? You ever work for me or the Sczarni before?" He offers the other Pathfinders a smug grin. "Not that I got anything to do with the Sczarni. I just know some guys who know some guys who hearda dem." He runs his hand over his greasy, thin hair, waiting for Kehl's response.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Kehl shakes his head.

"No, I think you've mistaken me for someone else" he says before exiting hastily.

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Ever since Guaril ignored him, Dasiji has focused on just keeping his thoughts out of his face. Seedier... than this guy?! Dasiji turns his mind back to when he was a Sargavan guard. Oh right, he means freelancers. Just because his crime is organized, he thinks that makes it civilized.

"Don't mind him, he's always rushing off." Dasiji dismisses Kehl's behavior with a wave of his hand. "We certainly wouldn't want that parcel falling into the wrong hands!" So true... of course, that might include *him*, but he doesn't need to know that.

"Now, we have a lot of strategy to work out once we catch up with our hasty friend, and we can't even start until we know where we're going. I'm sure you understand. These things don't plan themselves!" Dasiji grins and winks at Astyannax, as if the cavalryman had been getting on them to plan their heists better.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Not really paying attention as the group walks to the next mission.

Crown of the World. Why would Kehl say that?


With Kehl leading the way in his rush to escape the gaze of the Sczarni crime lord, the four Pathfinders walk quickly to the docks. The wind picked up while they were inside, blowing strongly off the water of the Inner Sea. Docks and quays jut out from the shore, all nameless and each as shady and nondescript as the one next to it. They arrive at the warehouse mentioned by Guaril, finding it to be wholly mundane from the outside. Its only interesting feature is how it perches perilously in the water, swaying as the wind pushes waves against its spindly wooden supports. A small wooden boat rocks in the water, tied to a piece of metal attached to the dock. A strong gust of wind might overturn it. A single wooden door with a rather large lock affixed over its handle beckons to them from the undulating pier.

Knowledge: Nature DC 10:
There are barnacles visible on the supports, indicating that the waters are at or near low tide.

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Quintus follows along as the group heads to the warehouse trying to keep his clothes and hair from becoming too unkempt in the strong wind. "Well... that was a slimy fellow. No sense of fashion! And I detest that Varisian style of facial hair... I wouldn't even stoop so low as to call it a proper mustache. Nothing to do with the Sczarni my left buttock. You seemed to bolt out of there in a hurry, Kehl. Those Sczarni thugs after you or something?"

Knowledge (nature) 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

As they reach the warehouse, a boat in the water catches his eye and reminds him of of a story from the distant land of Rahadoum. The heroes arrived at the port city of Azir by boat, but knew to arrive at low tide to hide below one of the docks... Wait a minute...

"Hold up, everyone. Something seems off." Quintus points at the supports under the warehouse. "Look over there. You can see barnacles on the wood... that means low tide. Now see that boat tied to the dock? Must have got here fairly recently. I'd venture a guess we're not the only people here... better be cautious." After warning the others, he grabs his coiled whip, keeping it in hand in case of trouble.

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Growing up on the water in Desperation Bay, Dasiji automatically notices signs of the tide. He knows without even thinking about it that it's low tide; but no one has to sneak into Sargava, so he doesn't really give it any mind.

Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

Dasiji looks impressed at Quintus's deduction, and observes his choice of a whip. "So you wish to keep things.. not so final, until we know more? I can respect that." Dasiji pulls out his sap.

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Quintus looks at the ranger with a blank expression before understanding what Dasiji means, "Hm? ... Oh, you mean this! Nah, this is so I can stay back and let you guys do the up close and dirty work without me feeling completely useless. Stage fighting has its uses, you know... flashy effects like knocking weapons out of hands or just tripping people up. If Sczarni thugs get the jump on us, feel free to poke a few holes in them with that trident of yours!"

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Astyannax notices the surroundings getting seedier as they get closer to the docks. Could be some sword play here. And not with invisible devils.

Knowledge (nature) 1d20 ⇒ 15

He notices the barnacles and green algae on the columns holding up the tumbledown warehouse above the water. It adds to the overall atmosphere of seediness. Just the sort of place that greasy Varisian would send us to.

At Quintus' comment he looks about the docks and quay.

Perception 1d20 ⇒ 4

He reaches for the shaft but does not equip his mace. "This is how I open locks. One of you might be able to do it a bit more quietly."

He feels uneasy, though not due to anything specifically seen or heard. This has trap written all over it. But the VC wouldn't send us walking into one. At least, he wouldn't have BEFORE I mouthed off at him.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Kehl draws his daggers and scans the area with a wary eye.

perception check1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

"Quintus, let's just say that the Sczarni and I have a history, and frankly I'd rather they not know that I am here, alive, or even associated with the Pathfinders. As for our friend back there? He's as crooked as they come, Sczarni to the core, and has his hands in everyone's business. Trust him not."

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2
Quintus Valorian wrote:
"If Sczarni thugs get the jump on us, feel free to poke a few holes in them with that trident of yours!"

Dasiji nods. "Very well. Hopefully there won't be another imp, and it will be more effective this time." He puts his sap away and pulls out his trident.

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Silly me, smugglers have to sneak into Sargava. I'm in a Serpent's Skull game, on an island called Smuggler's Shiv; I should've known better. ;) Anyway...

Astyannax wrote:

At Quintus' comment he looks about the docks and quay.

Perception 1d20

He reaches for the shaft but does not equip his mace. "This is how I open locks. One of you might be able to do it a bit more quietly."

He feels uneasy, though not due to anything specifically seen or heard. This has trap written all over it. But the VC wouldn't send us walking into one. At least, he wouldn't have BEFORE I mouthed off at him.

Dasiji ponders. "Well... I can't pick a lock, but if this warehouse is used for smuggling, then it might have a trap door for goods and people to pass without anyone knowing. If others used it to get in, then maybe we could too."

I can't picture how far out the boat is. If it's out in the water, not right by shore: Dasiji offers to swim out and get the boat, ferry everyone to the trap door (if it exists), and then tie the boat back up like it never moved.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Listens to Dasiji, then looks back at the warehouse.

"Well, yeah. But if somebody's already inside, that would be a good way to get a smack on the head as you use the trap door, wouldn't it?"

He keeps looking about the docks area, still smelling trap.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

"I'll check the lock. Keep an eye out."

Kehl moves to the door and checks the lock carefully.

Perception roll1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13


Kehl Disable Device 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16

Kehl walks up the door, naturally somewhat sneaky. The building looks abandoned and in disrepair. The windows are dark and dirty, providing no view into the structure's interior. He pulls out a set of thieve's tools as he makes his way over the rickety pier. Inserting them into the rusty lock, Kehl listens for the telltale click of the tumblers falling into place. In mere moments, he hears it and pulls smoothly on the lock. It opens with a bit of a tug, obviously rusted inside and out from the salt spray. He opens the door as quietly as he can, though it creaks a bit as he opens far enough to take a look around.

Darkness fills the warehouse, the ambient light from outside blocked by a filthy, oily film on the structure's few windows. Darting illumination comes from light reflected off the water through a splintered hole in the floor. Throughout the warehouse, crates, boxes, and barrels lean against each other in vaguely sorted stacks. A lingering smell indicates that some of the contents are certainly spoiled. Perched in the middle of the hole, teetering on split plants, sits a large crate stamped with three crows arranged in a triangle, the very crate the Pathfinders have come to find. Handholds cut into the stout wooden crate ring the rim. Other barrels, boxes, and crates sit stacked along the walls of the warehouse. Just inside the door sits a handful of crates and kegs of beer. Most of these smaller crates and barrels contain foodstuffs in various states of freshness, but some crates reek of rot. The rest of the crates stacked along the north and south walls contain simple sundries marked as beer, blocks of clay, coffee, coils of rope, dried fish, lead ingots, nails, nets, raw cotton, rough wool, spare sails, timber planks, various pulleys and tools, and cheap weapons.

A crane, used for loading and unloading boats, clings to a rail running the length of the warehouse, hanging five feet below the high ceiling. It appears as if it can slide out to extend past the loading door of the west wall. The edge of the hole that their prize sits in appears to be dangerous and on the verge of collapse. The crate will surely fall into the water if they simply walk up and try to pick it up.

If there is anyone inside, they would have to be a master infiltrator to get past the rotting floorboards around the hole in the floor, or to lock the door from the outside. Kehl waits for a moment, not seeing or hearing anyone or anything moving inside.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Astyannax watches Kehl quickly take care of the lock and peer inside.

Hand on his sword hilt, he waits for a signal to move in.

This Pathfinder stuff doesn't call for much sword play. Or riding, for that matter.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

"It's clear. Be careful, the floor is falling apart. We need to use the crane to get to it."

Kehl looks around for the crane's controls.
perception check:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17


The crane's controls are a simple system of pulleys on the south wall of the rickety warehouse. The hook still has to be manually attached to whatever they want to pull up. Many boxes have ropes or webbing for this purpose.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

"Someone control the crane, I'll hang off the end to attach the hooks to the crate."

Kehl will get a good grip on the rope(s) descending from the overhead crane so he can be lowered into position to attach the hooks to the crate.

Taking ten for 17
climb check, if I can't take ten1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Quintus steps up to the pulleys, running his gaze along the ropes to see how they work. "Just like backstage... Hey, Astyannax. You seem like the strong type. Want to see if we can get Kehl over to the crate? Dasiji and I can lend a hand."

If a Strength check is necessary, Quintus will Aid Another...
Strength check DC 10 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Astyannax stays near the door, watching out for anyone approaching the warehouse as the others move about inside. His hand rests on the hilt of his sword, which is still in the scabbard.

He turns his head as he hears Quintus say his name. He takes in the situation and smiles. We could use a monkey.

Moving over to the south wall, he stands next to Quintus and exames the pulley system.

Perception Check
1d20 ⇒ 10

"Looks easy. They didn't spend much gold on this place."Once he is sure that Kehl has secured himself, he begins to work the pulleys to swing the crane over the target crate.

If a strength check is necessary, he will take 10, or 20 if applicable, +3.

"Hope you can swim if need be, Kehl."

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Kehl grins.

"I hope I can too."

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

As they move into the warehouse, Dasiji keeps an eye (and an ear, and a nostril) open for the other people that he expects to be here. Take 10 on Perception for 16. At Quintus's suggestion to lend a hand with the ropes, Dasiji nods. "I can help." Aid Another with Str check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13 vs. DC 10 ⇒ Success for +2 to Astyannax's check.


Initiative:
Astyannax 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20
Dasiji 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Dire Rats 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12
Kehl 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22
Quintus 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

INITIATIVE
23 Dasiji
22 Kehl
20 Astyannax
14 Quintus
12 Dire Rats

Dire Rat (x3): hp 5/5; AC 14/14T/11FF; +3F/+5R/+1W

Map

As Quintus and Dasiji help Astyannax utilize the pulleys to bring Kehl over to their quarry, they hear a rustling sound in one of the boxes in the northeast corner. As they hold him up and maneuver him, three huge rats slink out into the open. Clearly, they have been making this dock their fetid home and feeding on the rotting food inside, and are not pleased to see intruders. They all three make a terrible hissing noise at the Pathfinders, who find themselves at an awkward spot.

Entering the gray tiles near the hole requires a DC 10 Acrobatics check - failure will collapse the floor further and spill the crate in the water. They are considered difficult terrain unless you get a 15 or higher on the Acrobatics check. Keeping Kehl up requires a DC 5 Strength check, while the box (if somehow attached) is DC 15. For Kehl, you are tied 5 feet above the ground and cannot move without the assistance (i.e. standard action) of someone on the ground. You can untie yourself with a DC 10 Escape Artist check or destroy the rope with an attack.

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Round 1, Initiative 23
hp 12/12; 16AC/13T/13F; +4F/+5R/+2W

Knowledge (nature) to know things about dire rats: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15 ⇒ Presumed success

Dasiji instantly recognizes the rodents of unusual size. "Ah, dire rats. They can climb and swim, and have a diseased bite. Just lovely neighbors."

FA: Draw javelin
MA: Move to S-13
SA: Ready an action to throw the javelin with Deadly Aim at the first dire rat to get within 30 ft., then (FA) draw lucerne hammer: 1d20 + 4 - 1 ⇒ (11) + 4 - 1 = 14
⇒ Damage 1d6 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 2 = 8

Dasiji pulls out his javelin, moves up next to where Kehl is hanging, and waits for the big rats to get a little closer before throwing the thin little spear at them.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

"What impeccable timing!" Kehl sneers.

Kehl shouts: "Move me closer so we can secure the box!"
SA: Kehl will ready an action to attach the rope to the box when he is moved closer.

Edited based on DM's post below


Kehl cannot reach the box at this moment, but Astyannax or Quintus can move him directly above it with a DC 5 Strength check.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

As I understand the GM post, somebody has to maintain the pulleys every round with a DC 5 strength check or Kehl falls. And if Quintus and Astyannax both let go of the pulleys to do stuff, he would fall.

Round 1, Initiative 20
hp 12/12; 19AC/12T/17F; +3F/+2R/+1W

FA: Talk to Quintus
MA: Move to R13
SA: Rather than take an SA, he'll just draw his longsword and prepare for the rats.

Astyannax, watching Kehl swing out towards the crate, shifts his attention to the rats that have emerged on the far side of the warehouse. He hears Kehl urging him to move him closer to the crate.

Not the time, Kehl

"Quint, pull him back here so he doesn't fall on the crate."

He lets go of the pulleys and moves to stand next to Dasiji, smoothly drawing his long sword from its scabbard.

Kinda dumb on our part to tie a guy up to a crane before thoroughly searching the room.

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Round 1, Initiative 14
hp 10/10; 16AC/12T/14FF; +1F/+4R/+2W

Strength Check DC 5 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

SA: Use the pulleys to move Kehl to an open spot

"Sorry, Kehl... I'm going to do what Mr. Contrarian here says and pull you back. But only because I don't think I can keep you and the crate up!"

Quintus uses the pulleys to maneuver Kehl to an open spot near his other companions.


Round 1, Initiative 13

The first of the three dire rats skitters forward towards the Pathfinders, only to be met with Dasiji's javelin spearing it. It makes a terrible moaning squeak as it collapses. Its blood seeps out of a wound half the size of itself, while the javelin clatters to the ground next to it.

Dire Rat 2: hp 5/5; AC 14/14T/11FF; +3F/+5R/+1W
MA: Move 40' to S12
SA: Bite vs. Dasiji 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Dire Rat 3: hp 5/5; AC 14/14T/11FF; +3F/+5R/+1W
MA: Move 40' to T12
SA: Bite vs. Dasiji 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17
-> Damage 1d4 ⇒ 2

The remaining pair of dire rats rush towards Dasiji, the closest of the Pathfinders. They are surprisingly swift, easily running over the decrepit old wood floor. The first leaps up with sharp teeth to snap at Dasiji, but the former guardsman gets out of the way in time. The second lunges at his legs, tearing through his trousers at the unprotected flesh underneath. Blood drips down Dasiji's leg from the bite, burning with the disease-ridden filth that must inhabit its mouth.

Sorry, can't update the map. Kehl will be moved to S14, behind Dasiji.

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Round 1, Initiative 13

Fort save vs. disease: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Dasiji starts to crow in triumph at his masterful javelin throw, but he's rushed by the other two rats, one of which manages to bite his leg. Dasiji cries out -- not so much from the pain, as from the horror of imagining what the unclean beast might've put in his blood. Fortunately, it's all in his head.

Oops, just realized that my initiative count was moved to 13a by my ready action being triggered. Kehl is up next, not me. Spoilering the following actions, since I'll probably have to change them all anyway by the time it's my turn. ;)

Round 2, Initiative 13a (not 23):

hp 10/12; 16AC/13T/13F; +4F/+5R/+2W

FA: 5' step to R14
FA: Draw trident
SA: Throw trident with Deadly Aim at the dire rat in S12: 1d20 + 4 - 1 ⇒ (11) + 4 - 1 = 14
⇒ Damage 1d8 + 2 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 + 2 = 8
FA: Draw lucerne hammer with 10' reach. If an Attack of Opportunity: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
⇒ Damage 1d12 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9

Taking a step back between Astyannax and Kehl, Dasiji draws his trident and throws it at the nearest rat in a single smooth action, demolishing it almost exactly like the first. Dasiji then draws his lucerne hammer with blinding speed, ready for another attack from the one that bit him.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

I think Kehl is just hanging around...

Waiting to see if there are any rats left to attack or not.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Kehl attempts to free himself from the rope, struggling and cursing as he does so.

Escape Artist Check1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5


Dasiji would have hit one of the rats with his hammer because it has reach. He will hit #2, the one that missed. It now has 2/5 hp.

Dasiji's Lucerene Hammer (attack of opportunity) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
-> Damage 1d12 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Dasiji brings his hammer to bear and slams it down on one of the rats. The hammer cracks the rotten wood as it comes down, making the entire ramshackle warehouse feel like it is swaying. It crushes the dire rat's hideous tail, but misses the rat's body. The rat squeals a horrid screech of pain as it snaps its sharp teeth shut.

INITIATIVE (REVISED)
22 Kehl
20 Astyannax
14 Quintus
12 Dasiji
12 Dire Rats

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Round 2, Initiative 20
hp 12/12; 19AC/12T/17F; +3F/+2R/+1W

With my rolls, this is hopeless, but here we go...

Astyannax readies his trusty sword, made of Taldan steel, as the rats rush towards them. One sinks its yellow teeth into Dasiji's leg.

Starting at R13, Asytannax moves to Q12-Q11-R11-S11 (conceding an AoO to the rat on S12 and gaining a flanking position against it). He uses Cleave against the rat at S12.

Cleave Attack (-2 to AC for rats' initiative attacks)
1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 4 + 2 = 26
Damage 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Confirm Critical 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 4 + 2 = 14
Damage Critical 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Cleave attack at rat on T12
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Damage 2nd Rat 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

With the rats focused on Dasiji to his right, Astyannax moves left and circles around a crate, coming to a halt directly behind the rat that had just bitten his companion.

He swings his sword from right to left, slicing completely through its upper back, blood spurting into the air.

Continuing the swing of his arm, he fully extends it to his left and then slashes at the other rat with a backhand blow, digging deeply into the beast's back.

I like Cleave!!!!


Astyannax deftly kills both dire rats, the first with a spurt of blood that arcs high and covers a box in choir. The other, its tail already smashed to bits, collapses when the warrior severs its spine and twitches on the floor in its death throes. Keel hangs in the air, supported by Quintus holding the pulleys. Having killed the vermin, the danger is passed.

You're out of Initiative.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

You mean wrong order? Wasn't I after Kehl, who made an escape artist attempt?


No, I mean you can all act now without regard for Initiative. The rats are al dead or dying.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Astyannax looks down at the rat corpses, wrinkling his nose in disgust at the fetid odor.

That's what I bring to the group.

He glances up at Kehl, then over at Quintus with a grin. "Any trouble holding him up?"

He looks around for a scrap of cloth to clean his sword with. Failing to find one, he wipes the sword on the rat killed with a javelin, making sure to avoid the blood matted in its fur.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Kehl dangles there, an imprsesed look on his face.

"Good to know you serve some purpose other than being argumentative." he says to Astyannax.

"Now can we go about getting this crate? I'm getting a little dizzy."

Sovereign Court

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Quintus cringes as he looks over his shoulder at what remains of the rats. "Remind me to never get on your bad side."

Taking 10 a Strength check for 11 total...

He pulls on the pulleys to move Kehl back over the crate. "I can keep Kehl up easily... the crate's another story. Looks awfully heavy. Heh... reminds me of the harnesses we have backstage to make it look like actors can fly. Makes me respect the stagehands a bit more - that crate weighs nothing compared to some of those opera singers."

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

As Quintus works the pulleys, Astyannax moves back over to that wall and grabs hold of them.

"Let me take over, Quint."

I've got a +3 STR. If Quint aids with a +2, we can just take 10 to keep Kehl and the crate up, right?

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Can't take 10 on Aid Another.

Aid Another with a Str check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17 vs. DC 10 ⇒ Success

"I'll help too." Dasiji lends his own strength as best he can without getting in Astyannax's way.


With everyone except Kehl working the pulleys, they swing the Varisian over the crate. He deftly attaches the crate with the ropes and gives a go-ahead motion to the others to pull. A few hard tugs later, led by the muscular Astyannax, they pull the crate up and out of the broken hole in the bottom of the warehouse. Kehl unties himself as Astyannax wedges his sword in the top of the crate to open it.

They all peer in to see the contents that they are to return to Guaril Karela. There are a number of sets of masterwork thieves' tools, three flasks of alchemist's fire, a flask of acid, a dozen jars of ink, a book of footprints, an adamantine weapon blanche, a deck of marked cards, and two sets of loaded dice. In addition, the rescued crate holds a smaller mahogany box inside, which contains five books and a few loose sheets of paper in a leather folder. The titles and subjects seem completely unrelated to each other: Practical Thaumaturgy In Accordance with Creation, Geographic Anomalies of the Inner Sea, Under Kaer Maga: A Trial and Travel, Physiologiy of Dragons: An Illustrated Reference, and Lost Sarusan. The leather folder contains cargo manifestos, warehouse inventories, and other financial logs from a dozen different merchant houses and trade guilds.

201 to 250 of 428 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Barcas - First Steps (PFS) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.