Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Barcas - First Steps (PFS) (Inactive)

Game Master Isaac Duplechain

A group of Pathfinders embarks on their first missions, discovering that things in the Society are not as simple as delving dungeons and discovering treasures.


151 to 200 of 428 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Dasiji watches as Astyannax offers to use a letter opener to hold off an invisible, stinging, invulnerable spellcaster from Hell, and makes a mental note. This is one for the campfires.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

"Grab the thrice-damned chest and get out! You think this thing wants to talk to us?"

Oh Inheritor, this is why you guided me to the Lodge?

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Kehl continues struggling with the imp, looking desperately for somewhere to stuff the cursed thing.

Sorry for the delay--What is available and open for Kehl to put the imp in?


Sorry, it's been a long and busy week. Kehl, once you have pinned the imp, you can place it in one of the drawers.

Quintus opens up his arcane sight to examine the chest. The familiar auras of magic begin to coalesce, but it will take several more moments before they are truly visible, allowing Quintus the opportunity to discern the strength and school of the enchantments that affect the box.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Kehl attempts to wrestle the imp into a pin.

Grapple Check1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
"This isn't really that easy, can we finish up in here?"

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

"The chest (or something in it) is magical. It will take a few more seconds of concentration to learn more. How did we know the item was supposed to be magical?"


Round 2, Initiative 23
Imp: 16/16 Hp; 15AC/14T/13FF; -1F/+6F/+4W;
DR 5/silver or good; immune fire, poison; resist cold 10, acid 10
Status: Grappled

Escape Artist 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

The imp continues to squeak and yelp as it tries to wrench itself free. Kehl has not quite yet completely gained control, but the imp's frenzy makes it difficult to hold onto even with the benefit of the sheets. It screams out in Infernal, presumably cursing them.

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Round 3 (right?), Initiative 19
hp 10/10; 16AC/12T/14FF; +1F/+4R/+2W
5/7 Bardic Performance

FA: End inspire courage
FA: Drop rapier
MA: Move next to Kehl
SA: Aid another for Kehl's grapple

Quintus grunts in frustration, "Actually, I'll figure that out once we're not confronted with an angry devil in a bedsheet! Let me help, Kehl." He moves to the entangled imp and tries to help Kehl shove the thing into one of the drawers.

Under the multiple creatures section of the grapple rules, it says that only the initiating creature needs to make a check, but assisting creatures use the Aid Another action. So, here's a check anyway to see if it matters. :P

Aid another (Grapple) 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

Nope! Kehl gets +2 to his next grapple check.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Round 3, Initiatve 13
hp 12/12; 19AC/12T/17FF;+3F/+2R/+1W

Stares at Quintus, who now blocks any chance of attacking the imp with the letter opener, and then at Dasiji in disbelief.

"By the whore of Geb, what is wrong with you two?"

MA: Moves full 30' to get as close to being able to grab the box as possible.

SA: Grabs the box

Astyannax abandons the imp and Kehl and moves across the room, picking up the box and turning towards the door.

FA: Talks

"We get out of here with the box!"

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

"Sure, we'll just let this thing go and I'm sure he'll let us waltz on out of here with his precious box if we ask nicely. Excellent planning!"

Hmph! At least one Taldan here has some sense about him.

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Astyannax: Dasiji already has the box, and I was waiting to post in initiative order as requested, but I'll do my best to accommodate in-character. Also, medium armor reduces 30' speed to 20', and difficult terrain cuts speed in half; fortunately, I'm only 10' away.

DM Barcas: Doesn't make any difference this time, but the imp is at initiative count 22.

Round 3, Initiative 22
hp 12/12; 16AC/13T/13F; +4F/+5R/+2W

Delay to initiative count 12.

Wow, he sure seems determined to just bug out, but I'm not leaving all my stuff behind. "Fine, you want us to get out of here fast, *you* take it!" Dasiji holds the box out for Astyannax to take, and waits while the heavily-armored cavalryman picks his way through the clutter.

Round 3, Initiative 13

Astyannax grabs the chest out of his hand. "Thanks! Now it's protected, and I can pick up my stuff."

Round 3, Initiative 12

MA: Pick up his trident that missed the imp.
MA: Move 10' back to where his backpack is.

Hmm... I can always get more javelins, but tridents aren't cheap. Dasiji begins collecting his things, picking up his trident and making his way back to where he threw it from. It turned out that the chest was close enough that I didn't need to drop the backpack, but I didn't know that at the time.

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2
Quintus Valorian wrote:
"The chest (or something in it) is magical. It will take a few more seconds of concentration to learn more. How did we know the item was supposed to be magical?"

"Either a lucky guess, or the imp didn't look like he needed a hood to complete his outfit." Dasiji winks.

Quintus Valorian wrote:

Under the multiple creatures section of the grapple rules, it says that only the initiating creature needs to make a check, but assisting creatures use the Aid Another action. So, here's a check anyway to see if it matters. :P

Aid another (Grapple) 1d20+1

Nope! Kehl gets +2 to his next grapple check.

Pretty sure they mean that the first is the only one that makes a *grapple* check, since then they refer to helpers using the Aid Another action, which requires a check vs. DC 10 using the same modifiers as if you were taking the action that you're helping with. They're just saying that your roll is easier, not that you don't have one.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

I thought Astyannax went after Quintus. That's why I posted. Apologies if that was the wrong order. I'll check when I'm not on dad duty (after midnight, I'd guess...

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

No, you're right -- but Quintus jumped the gun. No biggie, it all worked out fine. :)

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Woops - sorry, knew I was after the imp so I just posted when I saw its actions. :P

"Maybe it's a really trendy hood?"

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Dasiji turns a skeptical eye on Quintus, not sure at first whether the Taldan dandy is serious -- then busts out laughing in the middle of a dangerously-sexy Chelaxian devil-summoner's wrecked boudoir, where Quintus is helping Kehl wrestle with a feisty bedsheet. "Oh, good one!"

Dasiji eyes the weapon that Quintus dropped in the doorway. "Want me to pick up your rapier if you're still busy when I get there?"

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

"Sure..." Quintus's attention is drawn back to the imp as it struggles to escape. "Faster I can get away from this thing, the better!"

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Is it my action? I am lost.


Yes, it is. Pin that imp!

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Kehl continues struggling with the devil, attempting once again to get a solid grip on the beast.

Standard Action: Grapple Check the third=1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

Move action: Kehl moves to one of the dressers.

swift Action if possible: Kehl stuffs the beast in a drawer and slams it shut.


Remember to include the Round/Initiative count to make it easier to figure out where we are.

Round 4, Initiative 22

The imp screams inside the drawer in its impotence, slamming into the side and knocking it down. It screams shrill curses, enraged at being wrestled and stuffed into a drawer like some useless weakling. Thumps and rattles keep emanating non-stop as the Pathfinders look around at each other. For now, the room is safe until it figures out how to get out.

You can act out of Initiative.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Kehl picks up his daggers and sheathes them, double checks to make sure the drawer is secured, and actually grins at his companions.

"Well, that could have gone much worse. I suppose we should tell the lovely lady that we have contained her devil and be on our way. Quickly."

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Dasiji picks up his backpack and shrugs it onto his shoulders, then looks behind at his javelin, considers, and almost dismisses it... before picturing what use the matron of the house might put it to, reminding the nasty little imp of those who took its hood. "I don't think she's waiting." He hustles back and snatches up his javelin, then grabs Quintus's rapier on the way out. "Let's get gone!"

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Quintus nods at Kehl with a smirk, "Oh yes, positively swimmingly! I'd guess the paracountess is... preoccupied at the moment." He moves quickly out of the room and takes his rapier from Dasiji, nodding in thanks at the ranger. "Might I suggest we put some distance between ourselves and here before we consider our next course of action?"

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Astyannax watches the drawer shake and rattle as the imp desperately tries to free itself. He considers inserting the letter opener into the crack but decides not to enrage it further.

"Let's get outside and then open this thing up to make sure it's what we're after."

Shakes his head in wonderment. "That was one frustrated imp."

He turns and heads out of the room.

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

"How about we keep on going while we try and figure out how to open it, and don't stop until we're back at the Grand Lodge."

DM Barcas wrote:
As Dasiji nears the chest, he sees it to be a simple iron case. It is dented from the imp trying to smash it, but seems hardly the worse for wear. The only unusual thing about it, at least to the naked eye, is that it appears to have seven locks rather than one. Three of them are actually placed on a crease as a normal lock, whereas the other four are symmetrically placed on the center of each of the four sides of the chest (with none on top and bottom). He picks it up, finding it to be of normal weight and heft for a similarly sized chest.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Kehl nods at Dasiji. "Agreed, and with all haste."

He exits the house quickly.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Watches Kehl rush out of yet another room.

"Fine."

He tosses the letter opener on a table in the next room as they leave.

I don't need anything from you, devil lover.

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Quintus follows behind the others out of the house, surreptitiously grabbing the discarded letter opener after Astyannax tosses it aside. Now why'd he get rid of that? Might come in handy!

Stealth if necessary:
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Dasiji looks around to see if anyone is watching them leave the "townhouse". Take ten for 16, as usual.

"I didn't really examine it that closely, but the chest has locks in places that don't make any sense to me. Any ideas?"

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Astyannax stares at Dasiji. "Unless you want me to use my sword, opening chests isn't something I usually do."

He looks at Kehl and Quintus with raised brows. "Do you think we have to open it before we take it back to the Lodge?"

He breathes deeply, glad to be done with Cheliax whores and devils.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

"I'd rather return it. It looks complicated, expensive and potentially very dangerous. As the Society has people who have been opening such things for more years than I've been breathing, let us leave it in their hands."


The trip back to the Grand Lodge is uneventful, though the crowds are out in full force in the early afternoon. There are a number of street performers clogging the avenues, forcing the Pathfinders through the alleys on more than one occasion. With their prize held in their possession, the small group looks around cautiously, but sees nothing suspicious or anyone following them. Even so, it is a relief to have the great walls of the Lodge around them, and an even bigger relief to hand the box over to Venture-Captain Valsin once they arrive at his office.

He regards the unusual box with some distaste as he handles it. He opens one of the many drawers in his large oaken desk and carefully places it inside. Once he shuts it (with some finality), he looks up at them. "Sorry about taking the other two away from you. Sometimes things come up. I trust their absence hasn't made things more difficult than you can all handle. I take it you've met the Paracountess? She's sly and conniving, but smart and capable as they come. Judging by Zavak and Garauk's report when they arrived, you've completed the task for the Silver Crusade, and now you've met Cheliax's envoy. You have two tasks remaining for your first mission. Where are you going next?"

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

"I suggest Salhar next, since we don't know how long Karela will take. It wouldn't do to wake someone late and ask for a favor."

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Astyannax listens to Dasiji's response and looks at the VC.

"Any special advice for that one, Venture Captain?"


Valsin looks at Astyannax with almost a glare. "You're a Pathfinder now. Your missions won't always be in the city with a friendly neighborhood Venture-Captain to hold your hand and answer your questions. Most of the time, you're lucky if you get a letter with any guidance. You have to find your own answers to your missions. Do you understand?"

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Stares at the VC. "I understand you're no help. But that's what I'd expect from a desk warrior such as yourself. Let more talented operatives get out in the field."

He turns and walks out.

Smiling as they all see his back. Now that is how you make an exit.

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Dasiji looks uncomfortable. "Well, since there's no argument, I guess the answer is Salhar."


Venture-Captain Valsin shakes his head silently and takes a quill from his desk with a piece of paper not far behind it. He writes something down, rolls it up tightly, and pins it to the map that adorns his wall.

Right in the middle of the frozen tundra of the Crown of the World.

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

"Okay, so.. glad we're not going there.. Wise Quarter it is, then. If that's all, then we'll just see ourselves out."

Dasiji signals to Quintus and Kehl and makes for the door before Valsin decides to add any more names to the paper that he just pinned to the map.

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Quintus just looks from the door to the Venture-Captain wide-eyed. This might be the first time he's been speechless. He grins sheepishly at Valsin before following Dasiji out the door.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1
DM Barcas wrote:

Venture-Captain Valsin shakes his head silently and takes a quill from his desk with a piece of paper not far behind it. He writes something down, rolls it up tightly, and pins it to the map that adorns his wall.

Right in the middle of the frozen tundra of the Crown of the World.

Heh heh heh. I like that.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

Kehl shivers at the subtle threat as they exit.

"Remind me what we have to do in the wise quarter? Who has the letter?" Once they exit he scans the crowd taking ten for a DC 16 Perception check

"I know not whether to respect that man or be terrified of him. I suppose both is the best course of action."

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Astyannax is waiting for the party outside the main gates to the Lodge. He had walked there briskly, expecting Valsin's booming voice to summon him backinside for a dressing down. Or worse.

The shaking inside had stopped once he got outside the gates. A brief sense of giddiness had come and gone.

That wasn't very smart. I took it during all those months of training. Why did I have to do that now?

Ponders things. Becuase I'm not a trainee any more. I'm a Pathfinder!

He squares his shoulders and idly watches the crowds go by, not looking for anything in particular.

Perception Check
1d20 ⇒ 4

He looks up as the others come through the gates.

"Ah, there you are. Are we off to the Wise Quarter?

Grand Lodge

(HP 22/22 | AC 18 | T 12 | FF 16 | CMD 17 | F +5 | R +5 | W +2 | Init +2 | Per +6) Male Human (Ijo) Ranger 2

Kehl:
I recommend rolling Perception. According to your profile, you have +4 Perception, so taking ten on the roll gives you a result of 14. That would fail the DC 15 that DM Barcas usually sets.

Dasiji nods at Kehl's question. "I still have the letter, and what we have to do in the Wise Quarter is see a man about a charter." At least, I don't remember giving it to anyone. Correct me if I'm wrong. They pass through the gates, and Dasiji nods at Astyannax's question too.

Dasiji pulls out the letter and reads it out loud. "Visit the offices of Osirian nobleman Dremdhet Salhar in the Wise Quarter. The Pathfinder Society needs to obtain permission to delve the Salhar ancestral vaults beneath Sothis. He has made a verbal agreement, and your visit makes it official. You will receive an official charter and detailed maps. Do not embarrass the Society in this matter."

Dasiji puts the letter away and sighs. "That's all we know, so it's hard to plan. How is this more than just going and asking politely? Obviously we need to be on our best behavior, but beyond that I have no idea."

Letter Contents:
A man named Guaril Karela runs a curio shop in the Docks called the Pickled Imp. Go to him and fill his request as a favor to the Society. I believe it has something to do with a set of rare books.

Ollysta Zadrian requested aid and is expecting you at the Temple of the Shining Star in the Ascendant Court. She needs someone to deliver a parcel of medicine and curatives to a needy orphanage and verify the character of the recipient.

Visit the offices of Osirian nobleman Dremdhet Salhar in the Wise Quarter. The Pathfinder Society needs to obtain permission to delve the Salhar ancestral vaults beneath Sothis. He has made a verbal agreement, and your visit makes it official. You will receive an official charter and detailed maps. Do not embarrass the Society in this matter.

Chelish Paracountess Zarta Dralneen possesses an item loaned from the Vaults. Meet with her in her estate in the Ivy District and retrieve the item in her possession.

As usual, taking ten on Perception for a result of 16.

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

"Well that seems simply enough. Though I think we said that about the last two errands."

Knowledge: Local regarding the Osirian Nobleman Dremdhet Salhar 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

@Dasiji - oops, my mistake. Too much cold medecine

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Not too loudly, as he doesn't really want to hear the answer. So, uh, was the VC mad when I left?"

Sczarni

Male Human Rogue 1 (Knife Master archetype)

"If you wish to mouth off to Venture-Captains in the future, kindly do so on your own time. I won't be damned to some fool's errand to the Crown of the World because you can't pick your battles."

Kehl glares at the cavalier for a long moment. "Let's get this over with, We've made enough enemies today, and still haev two errands left."

Kehl leaves, and heads toward the Wise Quarter.

Taldor

Male Human (Taldan) Bard 3

Quintus waits for Kehl to head off before responding to Astyannax. "The Venture-Captain? Mad... as in angry? Uh... no, not at all." Telling off your superiors... that's madness! "I'd say his reaction was more... frigid... than anything." Quintus smiles in self-satisfaction as he follows the rogue.

Grand Lodge

Male Human Cavalier (Order of the Star)/1

Ponders Kehl's words. [i]Crown of the World.....What?[\i]

151 to 200 of 428 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Barcas - First Steps (PFS) All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.