Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Aron Marczylo's Kingmaker - Part 1: Stolen Land (Inactive)

Game Master overfiend_87


3,551 to 3,600 of 4,392 << first < prev | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | next > last >>

Zorestar Lebeda wrote:
Alicia wrote:
"I find mathematics intriging, but the study of arcana I love. Especially the mentions of Azlant and Thessalon and how their magic was beyond what we call magic by a longshot." she states as she smiles brightly, enjoying this topic. "It's a pity most of the Azlanti empire is beneith the waves."

"Indeed it is curious how advanced the Azlanti were. No doubt they were a remarkable civilization. One that I hope our own will aspire to become like. As for the mathematics, I mention it simply because I believe they are connected, and like the concept of infinity, I am convinced that there is not limit to what may be accomplished through you mind and the study of arcana. In fact, it is my hypothesis that whatever you believe you can accomplish, and creatively dwell upon within your mind, will come to pass. I am convinced that it is the act of believing that makes it possible. However, we must remember that the creativity becomes an integral part as well, especially as you explore the means for making it happen! For the unbelievers it may appear as the impossible, but for those who creatively explore, you begin to realize that nothing, I repeat nothing is impossible unto you!"

Zorestar cannot help but smile at Alicia, as he shares his hope filled thoughts.

"They went into a time of decadance and were destroyed by the Aboleths unfortunately." she states, shaking her head. "You shouldn't wish for us to become too much like them, but to heed their lessons as warnings. We need to respect the fey around us and never raise up against them. They deserve our respect." she states simply as she looks to Zorestar seriously.

"But, that's something I believe you and your group have taken into consideration and will do. Last thing we wish to do is harm our neighbors." she considers what he mentions and nods her head. "That is a interesting thought that it could be powered by belief. Clerics and other spellcasters of the divine are based on belief too. It is a lot to think about but I guess only the gods really know what infinity is. Those who buy the Sun Orchid Elixiar don't understand."


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 28/28; AC16,T14,FF13

Poke - where are James and Ganit? We need to get back before Bron gets caught up in olympic fever, it is only 4 years off for him now.


Male Human Wizard 4 (hp: 33/33 AC: 13, FF: 12, T:12)
Alicia wrote:
"You shouldn't wish for us to become too much like them, but to heed their lessons as warnings. We need to respect the fey around us and never raise up against them. They deserve our respect."

"I cannot agree with you more, Alicia. Trust me, when we are out here in the woods as we are, I have a great deal of respect for the fey. I should certainly not like to get on their bad side in any way. I just hope we do not do it accidentally without be aware."

Alicia wrote:
"It is a lot to think about but I guess only the gods really know what infinity is. Those who buy the Sun Orchid Elixiar don't understand."

"Forgive me, Alicia, but I do not know of your reference. What is the Sun Orchid Elixiar? What does that have to do with the concept of infinity?"


Human Ranger 3 / Rogue 2
Stats:
HP 38/38; AC 18, touch 13, Flat Footed 15; CMD 19; Fort +3, Reflex +9 (Evasion), Will +4; Perception +11 (+1 v traps; +2 v Humans); Initiative +3

Holy Wow! I went to copy my last post cuz I thought it was either missed or eaten. I didn’t even realize Aron had responded to me Sunday. Sorry for the holdup everyone.

DM Aron:
”Can’t say it’s an ideal reunion,” he replies curtly, pulling himself free of her affections he continues shredding the bindings. ”C’mon, let’s get the hell outta here.”

Ganit takes Delilah by the arm (a bit more forcibly than intended) when leading her out of the room, keeping her a noticeable distance from Mordelle’s corpse as they pass it. He scoops the Stag Lord’s bow up off the floor where he dropped it before leaving the room. ”Hold it. We’re gonna wait till the fire dies out then we’re going back in there to make sure that body doesn’t get back up…” Don’t. Hold your tongue for… ”Just what THE F#&* is this all about, anyway!? Sacrificed your own children for some cult? For that bastard Mordelle?” He glares at her accusingly without releasing her from his grasp. "What the hell could have made you sink that low? Maybe you've always been this lost. Probably just remembered you better than you were, is all."


Zorestar Lebeda wrote:
Alicia wrote:
"You shouldn't wish for us to become too much like them, but to heed their lessons as warnings. We need to respect the fey around us and never raise up against them. They deserve our respect."
"I cannot agree with you more, Alicia. Trust me, when we are out here in the woods as we are, I have a great deal of respect for the fey. I should certainly not like to get on their bad side in any way. I just hope we do not do it accidentally without be aware."

"I'm glad. I have only heard storied of what happened to the others who tried to settle these lands. Either barbarians killed them or dragons or some say the forests just swallowed the nations whole." she explains whilst moving another peice into play, almost getting lost in the conversation "From every story there is a grain of truth. I'm certain they may had displeased the fey and that is why the land turned against them."

Zorestar Lebeda wrote:
Alicia wrote:
"It is a lot to think about but I guess only the gods really know what infinity is. Those who buy the Sun Orchid Elixiar don't understand."
"Forgive me, Alicia, but I do not know of your reference. What is the Sun Orchid Elixiar? What does that have to do with the concept of infinity?"

She gives a nod as she thinks back for a moment.

"You heard of the nation of Thuvia far to the south? It is said the nation was struggling until an alchemist created the Sun Orchid Elixiar. It's a vial that, when imbibed, can reverse the age of time on the drinker." she points out knowledgably "One man I met had bought one at their auctions, costing him most of his family's fortune. Before he drank the potion he was a old man of eighty, barely able to walk but then when he returned he was a youthful man of twenty-eight! Many people continue to buy the elixiar because it turns back your age, but it doesn't keep you there as you age normally again and some people who drink it do not gain so many years back. Eitherway, it is a treasure of the nation that had no natural resource to say afloat and now it thrives from commerce of the stuff."


Master of Procrastination and Grognardia
The Hermit Ganit D'Artain wrote:

Holy Wow! I went to copy my last post cuz I thought it was either missed or eaten. I didn’t even realize Aron had responded to me Sunday. Sorry for the holdup everyone.

** spoiler omitted **

Ganit:

She follows, not arguing about leaving this place until you get outside and once out there as you chew her out she gives you a nasty glare.
"You have no right to speak to your sister like that!" as she screams this she slaps you across the face "It was because of you I was being dragged around like some g!#~#@ned harlot! I had no one, mum was gone, dad was gone, sister was gone and so were you!" she explains with tears flowing down her eyes, releasing herself and stepping away just to sit down and lean against the wall.

There is a awkward silence before she looks back to you.
"I don't know why, but something in here-" she pats her head a few times. "-broke. When I was pregnant I thought I could have a fresh start and a new family and just remained loyal to him. He died then, it was all too fast and the man muttered something, but I couldn't hear over my own sobbing and when he was gone I asked any god that listened to bring him back and I would pay anything. My womb shrank and he came back to life as that...that THING you saw in there. I didn't realise what I had done, until it was too late."

She gives another pause and then suddenly starts laughing, more tears streaking down her face.
"Some family we are, right brother?" she continues to laugh before it turns into more crying and groaning. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Forgive me, please brother."


Male Human Wizard 4 (hp: 33/33 AC: 13, FF: 12, T:12)
Alicia wrote:
"You heard of the nation of Thuvia far to the south? It is said the nation was struggling until an alchemist created the Sun Orchid Elixiar. It's a vial that, when imbibed, can reverse the age of time on the drinker."

"Very interesting, Alicia! My, you never cease to surprise me with your vast knowledge. Every moment I spend with you, I feel I learn a great deal of new things. This Sun Orchid Elixiar certainly sounds very interesting. Just when the body starts to fail due to the aging process, it suddenly reverses its direction and grows younger, but at a much accelerated pace. This is like reversing time, but it is not exactly that. It sounds like it actually only affects the physical body. Now, I wonder what happens to all of the wisdom and knowledge accumulated over the course of a life time. Do you start to lose any of that as you quickly grow younger. I also wonder about your memories and if they all stay intact through the transformation. The other factor that one would need to consider is that of your life partner. It would not do to have one growing older as the other instantly grows younger. I suspect that if you wished to grow older together with your life companion you would need also need to grow younger with them as well."

"Alicia, what do you think of the idea of growing older and then younger with a life partner?"


Male Half-Orc Cavalier (Gendarme)/5

"We have waited Carina, I see no sign of Ganit. I've no desire to leave him behind but he's a capable man, let us head back. If we've no word of him by tomorrow or the day after I'll come back for him."

Jameson loads up any additional gear in the cart and prepares to head out.


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 28/28; AC16,T14,FF13

Carina nods to Jameson and then begins to direct the fluffy feather bed wagon out of Restov and onto the road south, back to OUR Stolen Lands.

Expenditures:

Zorestar - 3600gp (headband of intellect), 75(wagon + feather bed + tip) = 3675
Bron - 3600gp (crown of charisma)
Carina - 3600gp (tiara of charisma), 750 (other stuff) = 4350
Telias - 1800gp (handy haversack)

And don't ever say that I did not save you guys a ton of money on these things, enough for Zorestar to buy a few nice dinners for Alicia and Telias to afford a bath every couple of months.


Zorestar Lebeda wrote:
Alicia wrote:
"You heard of the nation of Thuvia far to the south? It is said the nation was struggling until an alchemist created the Sun Orchid Elixiar. It's a vial that, when imbibed, can reverse the age of time on the drinker."

"Very interesting, Alicia! My, you never cease to surprise me with your vast knowledge. Every moment I spend with you, I feel I learn a great deal of new things. This Sun Orchid Elixiar certainly sounds very interesting. Just when the body starts to fail due to the aging process, it suddenly reverses its direction and grows younger, but at a much accelerated pace. This is like reversing time, but it is not exactly that. It sounds like it actually only affects the physical body. Now, I wonder what happens to all of the wisdom and knowledge accumulated over the course of a life time. Do you start to lose any of that as you quickly grow younger. I also wonder about your memories and if they all stay intact through the transformation. The other factor that one would need to consider is that of your life partner. It would not do to have one growing older as the other instantly grows younger. I suspect that if you wished to grow older together with your life companion you would need also need to grow younger with them as well."

"Alicia, what do you think of the idea of growing older and then younger with a life partner?"

"He seemed as wise as he ever was." she shrugs as she mentions this and then takes a moment to listen to what he has to say, mulling it over for a moment before shaking her head. "No, I'd like to just life my life happily with my partner and let what comes naturally, come naturally. It wouldn't matter to me if me and my partner were old or young, as long as we love each other I believe that's all that matters." as she says this she makes another movement on her turn. "Check." however the game wasn't over.


Human Ranger 3 / Rogue 2
Stats:
HP 38/38; AC 18, touch 13, Flat Footed 15; CMD 19; Fort +3, Reflex +9 (Evasion), Will +4; Perception +11 (+1 v traps; +2 v Humans); Initiative +3

DM Aron:

Ganit remains stoic and silent as Delilah tells her sorry tale. Stone-faced, he regards her harshly as she transcends emotions in a way unique only to her gender but as she begs for his forgiveness his demeanor begins to waver.

Don’t press it. Who could blame her? You know you’re as much to blame for the way her life has turned out as the roast in the other room. How the Gods seem to favor her less than me is a mystery. This will be the second time a stranger has shuttled her off to a new life leaving behind a wake of flames in place of her old one. You’re the cause of this; Mordelle was just a convenient excuse. If it wasn’t for you, the poor thing could have had a chance at a real life. She’s your responsibility now. Take care of her.

With an awkward hesitation he inches forward, takes her by her shoulders and leans in to meet her eyes. ”Don’t be. You owe me nothing, understand? Nothing. When we’re done here I promise you that I’ll make up for all that I’ve taken from you. Until a month ago I thought you’d been dead but obviously… Mordelle pressed a charter on me in return for your safety. It was my job to guide a few others through the Greenbelt so they could clear out some kinks to found a new kingdom. Within the month we can expect this new country to be established and I will give you a home there. This time I’ll stay. Mordelle had a hand in its discovery so I have no doubt that he and his society already have agents working themselves into the foundation. You have my word that I will personally root them out and make sure no harm ever comes to you again. I’m… I’m so sorry for the way things went for you. From here on, I’ll do everything in my power to make up for it.”

Spymaster. Bam!


Male Human Wizard 4 (hp: 33/33 AC: 13, FF: 12, T:12)
Alicia wrote:
"Check."

"Nicely played, Alicia. Yet again, you are full of surprises!"

Zorestar refocuses on the game and does his best to try and get out of the tenuous position he has found himself in.

Knowledge, Sjakk 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

Stroking his beard while he ponders the position, Zorestar runs through numerous calculations in his head for an unusually long period of time, until he finally moves his Marshall back to protect his King.

"That is the best option you have left me with this time, my dear."


Female Celestial Raven hp: 20/20, AC: 16, Perception +10

"Kraaah! Kraaah!"

Zorestar's raven lands next to the board to take delight in watching the rare sight of seeing her master struggle over a Sjakk board.


Male Human Wizard 4 (hp: 33/33 AC: 13, FF: 12, T:12)

"I don't want to hear it from you, Isti! I am not finished yet!"

Looking up at his beautiful opponent, Zorestar says, "I'm sorry, Alicia, I don't believe I have introduced you properly. This raven is my familiar, an arcanely bonded companion who has accompanied me since I attended Vortexarium in Katheer. Alicia, I am pleased to introduce you to Istikali!"

"Istikali, please welcome a dear friend of mine, Alicia Varn. She has agreed to stay with us in the Greenbelt for a while. I'm sure you will find her company most refreshing. And stop taking such delight in watching me struggle!"


Female Celestial Raven hp: 20/20, AC: 16, Perception +10

Istikali flaps her wings in greeting and moves closer to Alicia to make herself comfortable watching the game from the winning side.

"Pruuk, Prrruuk! Brrrronk, Kraaaah!" The raven chatters in delight.


Male Human Bard 4

A sweaty and dirty Bronwyn stills in armor approaches the table, looking curiously at the game. He holds the helm in one arm and rests the other in the pommel of his sheated blade.

That's a nice board, Zores. What's it, checkers?

The bard smiles, knowing full-well a Sjakk board when he sees it, the game of the rich and endowed. After a day of trading sword blows with many different people, he'd welcome a little banter and sillyness. Not to mention a good cold ale.


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 28/28; AC16,T14,FF13

As we ride back slowly with the wagon I call out to James: Do you think we should warp these wheels some, perhaps make one of them square so that Zorestar goes bump bump as he rides on his feather bed?


Male Half-Orc Cavalier (Gendarme)/5

Jameson smiles at the clean air and a chance to ride Donal.

"I would not imagine it would teach him much lass, he is a man set in his ways and no doubt he would just fix it with magic. Or teleport himself ahead and leave us to ride wherever we go."

Not that he'd leave Alicia...


Master of Procrastination and Grognardia
The Hermit Ganit D'Artain wrote:

** spoiler omitted **

Ganit:

At first, she remains silent and stops her sobbing, you aren't sure what happens next until she wraps her arms around you and puts her head against your chest.
"Don't worry. If it's true that you are building this new nation, then I can have a fresh start." she gives a warm smile and then a kiss on the cheek. "Let's leave this dreadful place and these horrible lives behind us and start new." she takes hold of your hand confidently, waiting for you to lead the way.

you can reply and say you just catch Carina and Jameson as they're about to leave the city.


Master of Procrastination and Grognardia
Zorestar Lebeda wrote:
Alicia wrote:
"Check."

"Nicely played, Alicia. Yet again, you are full of surprises!"

Zorestar refocuses on the game and does his best to try and get out of the tenuous position he has found himself in.

Knowledge, Sjakk 1d20+9

Stroking his beard while he ponders the position, Zorestar runs through numerous calculations in his head for an unusually long period of time, until he finally moves his Marshall back to protect his King.

"That is the best option you have left me with this time, my dear."

She seems surprised at the move and gives a nod

"Interesting movie, I didn't see that coming around the corner just yet." she states as she does another move with her peices, but doesn't manage to get the king in check yet.

Zorestar Lebeda wrote:

"I don't want to hear it from you, Isti! I am not finished yet!"

Looking up at his beautiful opponent, Zorestar says, "I'm sorry, Alicia, I don't believe I have introduced you properly. This raven is my familiar, an arcanely bonded companion who has accompanied me since I attended Vortexarium in Katheer. Alicia, I am pleased to introduce you to Istikali!"

"Istikali, please welcome a dear friend of mine, Alicia Varn. She has agreed to stay with us in the Greenbelt for a while. I'm sure you will find her company most refreshing. And stop taking such delight in watching me struggle!"

"He has quite the personality." she smiles at the bird.

Istikali wrote:

Istikali flaps her wings in greeting and moves closer to Alicia to make herself comfortable watching the game from the winning side.

"Pruuk, Prrruuk! Brrrronk, Kraaaah!" The raven chatters in delight.

Once he gets close enough she moves her hand over and pets him on the head.

"Beautiful bird, aren't you?" she smiles, enjoying giving him a fuss for attention.


Human Ranger 3 / Rogue 2
Stats:
HP 38/38; AC 18, touch 13, Flat Footed 15; CMD 19; Fort +3, Reflex +9 (Evasion), Will +4; Perception +11 (+1 v traps; +2 v Humans); Initiative +3

”Not yet,” Ganit reminds her. ”I’m not finished with this place. Whatever’s left of that body will be quartered and burnt again. That fire only struck the alter and some tapestries, if we’re lucky there’s still a possibility for something in there to give me a better understanding of how to identify these cultists. What do you know of them?”

I doubt this little event took 2 days to accomplish in game so I could easily catch up with the others before the smiths are even done enchanting James’ lance.


Master of Procrastination and Grognardia
The Hermit Ganit D'Artain wrote:

”Not yet,” Ganit reminds her. ”I’m not finished with this place. Whatever’s left of that body will be quartered and burnt again. That fire only struck the alter and some tapestries, if we’re lucky there’s still a possibility for something in there to give me a better understanding of how to identify these cultists. What do you know of them?”

I doubt this little event took 2 days to accomplish in game so I could easily catch up with the others before the smiths are even done enchanting James’ lance.

Ganit:

Good point, eitherway, you'd catch up with them.

You can tell she wishes to stop you, but she doesn't say a word and just nods.
"Fine, but be careful in there." at the cultists she just sighs and shakes her head. "They're all commoners from the city. They fear the impending tensions that are everywhere. When armies invade, they don't go only for the nobles. If something happens everyone in the city will be seen as a free target. Let them be, they only thought he would protect them, as would his master, Orcus I think they said his name was."

Entering the area you see the place on fire and the smoke rising. The body of Mandelle lying very still on the ground. The fire hasn't reached the body yet, but one of the dead cultists is already on fire.


Male Human Wizard 4 (hp: 33/33 AC: 13, FF: 12, T:12)
Bron wrote:
"That's a nice board, Zores. What's it, checkers?"

"No, my dear Bron." Zorestar replies as he inwardly sighs at the interruption from this wonderful moment he shares with Alicia Varn. "This is a game for Kings and Queens! I am not sure if you have ever played it before, but it requires a great deal more intellectual thought than most games. It is wonderful for developing your spatial reasoning, logic, calculation, and memorization skills. Furthermore, with all of the books that have been written on the subject, you could dedicate a life to learning its intricacies."

Alicia wrote:
"Beautiful bird, aren't you?"

"Be careful, Alicia! Don't give her too much attention or she may like it too much and then she'll never leave you alone."

Zorestar continues to search the board for a move to take him out of his precarious position.

Knowledge, Sjakk 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29

After several moments, he finds the tactic he is looking for. Moving his knight out to the edge to threaten Alicia's Queen, he reveals a check from his rook. With this double attack combination he forces a significant win in material.

"Are you familiar with the tactic known as discovery? Please do not feel bad, for you are truly a formidable opponent on the Sjakk board, my dear. However, with this move I think I have just saved my game!"


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 28/28; AC16,T14,FF13

Just don't challenge Carina to a game like this, she is likely to lose her temper and either blow up the game, or light you on fire.


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 28/28; AC16,T14,FF13

So, after Ganit finishes turning Restov into an arsonists playground, we all make a hasty trip south to get Zorestar his feather bed on wheels.

Everyone should update their character sheets - Bron & Zorestar headbands, Telias - haversack. The prices are posted above.

Once we are together, we all agree that we will call the new nation Caswall (this seems to be the most popular name at this point). We then head down to where the former Stag Lord's fort was and begin to build our new nation. For some reason Elkhead sounds like a good name for the first city. Another option would be to name the city after its first leaders, and then name the other citys we build after the other founding members. Cabron has a good ring to it. We could follow with Ganborough, Jamesville, Telshire and Zorhall.

I believe we agreed on the Castle being build first. Aron needs to set up how month to month will be run. I assume one of the leaders will make the rolls, unless as a party we want to alternate the rolls.


Human Ranger 3 / Rogue 2
Stats:
HP 38/38; AC 18, touch 13, Flat Footed 15; CMD 19; Fort +3, Reflex +9 (Evasion), Will +4; Perception +11 (+1 v traps; +2 v Humans); Initiative +3

I'll take 20 on Perception [Total: 30] to search Mordelle's body for anything of interest then I'll check the area. Afterwards I'll cover him with a tapestry, douse it with lamp oil and light it up with a torch. We'll meet up with Carina and James and then do what she said in the above post.


Master of Procrastination and Grognardia
The Hermit Ganit D'Artain wrote:
I'll take 20 on Perception [Total: 30] to search Mordelle's body for anything of interest then I'll check the area. Afterwards I'll cover him with a tapestry, douse it with lamp oil and light it up with a torch. We'll meet up with Carina and James and then do what she said in the above post.

Ganit:

The body had on it a pouch with 5 pp, 19 gp, 8 sp and 32 cp. He also appears to have had a symbol to a evil deity sown into his chest, though your limited knowledge of religion you can't tell who it is to, but only know about the major deities.

His robes appear to be common, though the dagger he held was shaped in a more ceremonial kind of way than a actual dagger, making it a little less effective in combat, however it is crafted from silver.

After warpping him up and setting him alight there is still not movement. if he wasn't totally destroyed before, he will be now.


Male Human Wizard 4 (hp: 33/33 AC: 13, FF: 12, T:12)

Aron:

DM Aron, I have been further thinking about Sjakk games and the game mechanics of determining a winner based on skill check rolls. I just wanted to run an idea by you. I meant to put this in the OOC thread, but when I wrote it, I put it here. Normally I would cut and paste it, but I want to keep these rolls for the example. Thus I have kept it here.

Zorestar has invested ranks into Knowledge, Sjakk, but if a player did not invest in this knowledge, they could simply use intelligence instead.

Three of these skill checks are made in a single post. One for the opening, one for the middle and one for the endgame. Each result has an effect on the subsequent part of the game by modifying the next roll as you would the bonus on any particular ability (14 = +2, 16 = +3, 18 = +4 etc.).

So, for example if the first skill check results in a score of an 18 for a skill check in the opening, the overall result would result in a +4 bonus being added to the middlegame skill check. Likewise if a middle game check ends up being a score of 15, a +2 bonus would be applied to the endgame skill check. In the end, the player with the highest modified skill check score for the endgame would be the winner.

Consider this example. Here are the rolls for a Sjakk game between Grudja, a non Sjakk playing character with a 16 intelligence (+3 modifier), and Zorestar, a skilled player with a +9 Sjakk skill check modifier.

Grudja

Opening 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12 (12 gives a +1 bonus for the middlegame.)
Middlegame 1d20 + 3 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 3 + 1 = 23 (23 gives a +6 bonus for the endgame.)
Endgame 1d20 + 3 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 3 + 6 = 28

Zorestar

Opening 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14 (14 gives a +2 bonus for the middlegame.)
Middlegame 1d20 + 9 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 9 + 2 = 24 (24 gives a +7 bonus for the middlegame.)
Endgame 1d20 + 9 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 9 + 7 = 33

The overall dice rolls gives you the results of the game. You can see how the opening went, the middle game, and ultimately a score to determine who won the game. In this example, Zorestar won because he scored a 33 at the end compared to Grudja's score of a 28. This reflects how they were doing throughout the game, but ultimately, who can check mate their opponent. You can see how a poor opening can affect the rest of the game, but clearly does not determine it. You can see that skill is a big factor, but there is some luck and randomness to the event as well. However, this is what adds the excitement.

I used a similar system with another character of mine in a campaign last year and we had a blast with it.

I do not plan on playing a lot of Sjakk in the campaign, but Zorestar may have a tournament at the castle some day. Even with games with Alicia, it would give a system to actually play a game and determine who actually won, not just an arbitrary role-playing decision.

If you don't want to get into anything this complex, that is fine, but it may be a lot of fun as well, without taking up too many posts.

Please let me know if this is something you could see yourself using.

Thanks again! By the way, I am having a great time!


Human Ranger 3 / Rogue 2
Stats:
HP 38/38; AC 18, touch 13, Flat Footed 15; CMD 19; Fort +3, Reflex +9 (Evasion), Will +4; Perception +11 (+1 v traps; +2 v Humans); Initiative +3

Quick clean-up:

I'll take the holy symbol and dagger for a bit of investigating. I'll probably consult with Zorestar when we get back to... Oleg's(?) er whatever. All of the coins can go to Delilah when it's less obvious I'm handing her dead husband's coin purse to her.

Before we leave, I'll spend a day and 1000g to give my mithral shirt a +1 enchantment. Then I'll put down 1800g at the magic shop for an Efficient Quiver.

So we should all be on the same page now. James and Carina and I are on our way back and crossing our fingers against random encounters with ogre mages and shambling mounds.

**EDIT** Just wanted to say I really like your Sjakk rules, Zorestar. Makes me wish I had a scholarly character or at the least an INT modifier.


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 28/28; AC16,T14,FF13

Carina hates the rules. They give her a headache and headaches make her blow stuff up, like Sjakk boards and opponents.


Human Ranger 3 / Rogue 2
Stats:
HP 38/38; AC 18, touch 13, Flat Footed 15; CMD 19; Fort +3, Reflex +9 (Evasion), Will +4; Perception +11 (+1 v traps; +2 v Humans); Initiative +3
Carina Stigard wrote:
Carina hates the rules. They give her a headache and headaches make her blow stuff up, like Sjakk boards and opponents.

This is the person we chose to lead our nation. God forbid there's a land dispute or two farmers arguing over a pig.

Farmer A: This here's MY pig!
Farmer B: That there's MY brand so's she belongs ta'ME!
Carina: *flamestrike both farmers*


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 28/28; AC16,T14,FF13
The Hermit Ganit D'Artain wrote:
Carina Stigard wrote:
Carina hates the rules. They give her a headache and headaches make her blow stuff up, like Sjakk boards and opponents.

This is the person we chose to lead our nation. God forbid there's a land dispute or two farmers arguing over a pig.

Farmer A: This here's MY pig!
Farmer B: That there's MY brand so's she belongs ta'ME!
Carina: *flamestrike both farmers*

Nope, there is only one way to solve that situation.

BACON!!!!


Human Ranger 3 / Rogue 2
Stats:
HP 38/38; AC 18, touch 13, Flat Footed 15; CMD 19; Fort +3, Reflex +9 (Evasion), Will +4; Perception +11 (+1 v traps; +2 v Humans); Initiative +3

That'd be too easy. I'm sure Carina's gonna break at some point and default to the old WWWDD or W^3D^2 [What would Witch-Doctor Do]


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 28/28; AC16,T14,FF13
The Hermit Ganit D'Artain wrote:
That'd be too easy. I'm sure Carina's gonna break at some point and default to the old WWWDD or W^3D^2 [What would Witch-Doctor Do]

You would be lucky if it were just the witch doctor you had to worry about with her. There are bigger and stronger skeletons in her closet - she just does not know about them.


Human Ranger 3 / Rogue 2
Stats:
HP 38/38; AC 18, touch 13, Flat Footed 15; CMD 19; Fort +3, Reflex +9 (Evasion), Will +4; Perception +11 (+1 v traps; +2 v Humans); Initiative +3

I'm mostly worried about that Will save of yours. Count yourself lucky that Aron is giving you split personality disorder when you're trying to keep those dreams in check. Same can be said for when that Hag comes knocking at the door...


Zorestar Lebeda wrote:
Bron wrote:
"That's a nice board, Zores. What's it, checkers?"

"No, my dear Bron." Zorestar replies as he inwardly sighs at the interruption from this wonderful moment he shares with Alicia Varn. "This is a game for Kings and Queens! I am not sure if you have ever played it before, but it requires a great deal more intellectual thought than most games. It is wonderful for developing your spatial reasoning, logic, calculation, and memorization skills. Furthermore, with all of the books that have been written on the subject, you could dedicate a life to learning its intricacies."

Alicia wrote:
"Beautiful bird, aren't you?"

"Be careful, Alicia! Don't give her too much attention or she may like it too much and then she'll never leave you alone."

Zorestar continues to search the board for a move to take him out of his precarious position.

Knowledge, Sjakk 1d20+9

After several moments, he finds the tactic he is looking for. Moving his knight out to the edge to threaten Alicia's Queen, he reveals a check from his rook. With this double attack combination he forces a significant win in material.

"Are you familiar with the tactic known as discovery? Please do not feel bad, for you are truly a formidable opponent on the Sjakk board, my dear. However, with this move I think I have just saved my game!"

Alicia gives a smile and a laugh.

"I don't mind giving her the attention she wants." she smiles, clearly enjoying the bird's company. She turns her attention to the board and looking at Zorestar's moves she shakes her head. "I'm afraid I didn't know about that tactic. I'll keep it in mind next time we play, good game." she gives a smile as she couldn't see an escape route from that particular move.


Master of Procrastination and Grognardia
Zorestar Lebeda wrote:
** spoiler omitted **...

Interesting rules, though like Carina said I felt a headache coming on when reading them. Was thinking of just roleplaying the tornement, but with the speed of kingdom building, could always do it whilst waiting for someone to roll or resolve on what people want to do either building something or claiming a hex. We can continue cleaning up the map if you wish I'll speed along the days so you reach the places in short amount of time whilst I get myself prepped for part 2.


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 28/28; AC16,T14,FF13
Carina Stigard wrote:
The Hermit Ganit D'Artain wrote:
Carina Stigard wrote:
Carina hates the rules. They give her a headache and headaches make her blow stuff up, like Sjakk boards and opponents.

This is the person we chose to lead our nation. God forbid there's a land dispute or two farmers arguing over a pig.

Farmer A: This here's MY pig!
Farmer B: That there's MY brand so's she belongs ta'ME!
Carina: *flamestrike both farmers*

Nope, there is only one way to solve that situation.

BACON!!!!

Now that would be a good name for a nation. BACON, or Baconwood, or Baconland, Baconshire, Baconborough, Baconster, there are lots of options.


Master of Procrastination and Grognardia
Carina Stigard wrote:
Carina Stigard wrote:
The Hermit Ganit D'Artain wrote:
Carina Stigard wrote:
Carina hates the rules. They give her a headache and headaches make her blow stuff up, like Sjakk boards and opponents.

This is the person we chose to lead our nation. God forbid there's a land dispute or two farmers arguing over a pig.

Farmer A: This here's MY pig!
Farmer B: That there's MY brand so's she belongs ta'ME!
Carina: *flamestrike both farmers*

Nope, there is only one way to solve that situation.

BACON!!!!

Now that would be a good name for a nation. BACON, or Baconwood, or Baconland, Baconshire, Baconborough, Baconster, there are lots of options.

check those aren't trademarked by Deathspank, Deathspank 2 or the sequal they made to that called "The Baconing" and yes I've played the first two games, PS3 died before I completed the second one.


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 28/28; AC16,T14,FF13

Never heard of any of them. I just happen to love bacon.


Male Human Wizard 4 (hp: 33/33 AC: 13, FF: 12, T:12)
Alicia wrote:
"I'm afraid I didn't know about that tactic. I'll keep it in mind next time we play, good game."

"Forgive me, Alicia. Perhaps I have read far too many books on the subject and pursued it to such an extreme degree. There are just so many intricacies and possibilities in the game. I do hope you will still be willing to play another game of Sjakk with me in the near future. I sometimes take these subjects far too seriously and become slightly obsessed with them. I really do need to try and keep some balance in my life. Perhaps you would you like to join me for a walk next?"

As the days pass while Carina, James, and Ganit are away, Zorestar spends his free moments visiting with Alicia (and occasionally with Bron). He takes walks, listens to her practice her harp, plays games of Sjakk with her and simply takes an interest in everything about her. When she is busy, he spends time reading books and experimenting with various arcane arts. He finishes mastering the spell Rope Trick as well as Invisibility which he inscribes into his book. When he is too busy with his work, he sends his familiar, Istikali, to check in on Alicia to make sure that she is doing well.

"How are you today, Alicia? Did you sleep well?" He asks one morning. "I believe my companions should be coming back very soon. Furthermore, I am hoping that they will be bringing with them a four wheeled, horse drawn caravan to house a new featherbed for me. It will be like my traveling home that I can bring with me on my adventures!"


Zorestar Lebeda wrote:
Alicia wrote:
"I'm afraid I didn't know about that tactic. I'll keep it in mind next time we play, good game."

"Forgive me, Alicia. Perhaps I have read far too many books on the subject and pursued it to such an extreme degree. There are just so many intricacies and possibilities in the game. I do hope you will still be willing to play another game of Sjakk with me in the near future. I sometimes take these subjects far too seriously and become slightly obsessed with them. I really do need to try and keep some balance in my life. Perhaps you would you like to join me for a walk next?"

As the days pass while Carina, James, and Ganit are away, Zorestar spends his free moments visiting with Alicia (and occasionally with Bron). He takes walks, listens to her practice her harp, plays games of Sjakk with her and simply takes an interest in everything about her. When she is busy, he spends time reading books and experimenting with various arcane arts. He finishes mastering the spell Rope Trick as well as Invisibility which he inscribes into his book. When he is too busy with his work, he sends his familiar, Istikali, to check in on Alicia to make sure that she is doing well.

"How are you today, Alicia? Did you sleep well?" He asks one morning. "I believe my companions should be coming back very soon. Furthermore, I am hoping that they will be bringing with them a four wheeled, horse drawn caravan to house a new featherbed for me. It will be like my traveling home that I can bring with me on my adventures!"

"You need not worry. As I said, I will keep that move in mind for next time." she smiles as she enjoys how he carries on about things and admits that he becomes obsessed with certain things he studies. At the invite of a walk she nods her head politely and offers her hand for the walk.

Alicia enjoys her time with Zorestar and everyone else at the trading post, getting to know Svetlana and Oleg, hearing all the stories of how they saved this place from bandits and then hunted down Svetlana's ring and making peace with the kobolds after ridding the area of the Mites. Even the tale of the Tatzlewyrms with the mount on the wall with the three heads and Tuskgutter's tusks, held for trophy to prove the size of the pig.

Alicia smiles, getting used to the outdoors and making sure to meet Zorestar first.
"I slept well, thank you." she smiles as she looks out, expecting the members of the group to arrive at any moment. "Why would you need such a thing? I thought you enjoyed living rough with this group out in the wilderness? surely your bedroll wasn't that uncomfortable, was it?"


Male Human Wizard 4 (hp: 33/33 AC: 13, FF: 12, T:12)
Alicia wrote:
"Why would you need such a thing? I thought you enjoyed living rough with this group out in the wilderness? surely your bedroll wasn't that uncomfortable, was it?"

"Well, Alicia, I have enjoyed getting to know my new friends here in this land. Furthermore, I admit that I do enjoy being out in the woods, getting to see the natural wonder of this place. However, I also don't see why we need to suffer to enjoy it! I figured that there was no harm in having a comfortable feather bed to ease the pain of my back when I've been lying on rocks and roots too long. I also figured that I could use the caravan as a mobile workshop for my work. I can keep it stocked with material components, as well as my books, tomes, and scrolls. I hope to put a board on the wall to write my equations up with chalk, and I also hope to install a table that can double as a Sjakk board. I figure this will aid me in my travels until my workshop becomes set up at the new castle we are planning to build. Tell me, Alicia, how are you faring this far from the comforts of civilization? Are you finding yourself comfortable in this new home?"


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 28/28; AC16,T14,FF13

As Ganit rides (walks?) back as James and I are about to head out, we welcome him.

Did you fare well here in the land of the civilized? Didn't leave too many corpses behind did you?

Noticing the young lady with him and the similarities between the two: Ganit never told me he had a daughter.

We can role play returning, or just head back and get together with poor Bron as well as Zorestar and his girlfriend. Not sure whether Telias is still with us or if he has become part of the land.


Male Human Bard 4

Let's give those rules a test-drive.

Bronwyn spends these off days greeting the many newcomers and getting to know these people. Almost every night he dines with a different family or group of people, always recounting the group's exploits and fights to tame the land. The knight probably comes out as a down-to-earth simple guy that genuinely tries to do good.

During the spare moments he shares with Zorestar, though, it probably becomes apparent to the mage that's may not be all. Bronwyn asks to play Zorestar at the Sjakk board whenever Alicia's not around.

Opening check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Middle game check: 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 1 + 2 = 8
Endgame check: 1d20 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 - 1 = 13

His playing style is hapharzad at best. Apparently he has seen the game played before and knows how the pieces work. In the first game he begins with a strong feint, opening his queen to the board and taking at least one important piece before the gambit is noticed. Then he loses her, and deals poorly with the aftermath.

Bullheaded, the bard asks for a rematch; Now that I properly understand the rules.

Opening check: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Middle game check: 1d20 + 1 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 + 1 = 15
Endgame check: 1d20 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 1 + 2 = 18

The second game is a more focused and well-thought affair. The bard already develops a long-term strategy focused on long feints; drawing attention to a certain area of the board, making the enemy worry about those pieces' reach just as he sets them up for sacrifice.


Male Human Bard 4

During the Sjakk games, Bronwyn always tries to get a conversation going, be it to pass the time, distract his opponent or genuinely wanting to know Zorestar better. During the second game he seems more relaxed.

So, Zorestar, do you happen to have a nickname?

After waiting for the mage's response, he continues:

So you know that in one month's time me and Carina are to be married. And that's not all there is. We'll probably be knee-deep in the many legal aspects of ruling this newfounded nation. It is obvious me and Carina will need help, and you are the most knowledgeable man in a couple hundred miles. You have run the books for your trading family before, and that knowledge will come in handy when we develop our tax charts. And... That may not be all.

The bard sighs, gathering willpower to get to his point.

As you have undoubtedly noticed, I'm not the most educated nobleman around. My family wasn't really that important, and although I have learned my "sirs" and "miladies", certain aspects of the aristocracy still elude me. Would you be so kind as to enlighten those shady spots? I will need to be on my best to receive Restov's nobles for the wedding feast.


Male Human Wizard 4 (hp: 33/33 AC: 13, FF: 12, T:12)
Bron wrote:
"Bronwyn asks to play Zorestar at the Sjakk board whenever Alicia's not around."

"Really? You would like to play a game of Sjakk? Well, I would be delighted to."

Zorestar plays the Linnorm Attack, a very aggressive opening that gives him a strong advantage right from the start.

Opening 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (14) + 9 = 23

While he ponders the game, Zorestar fills the bowl of his pipe with tobacco, lights it and then he leans back crossing one leg over the other as he takes great delight in this mental exercise.

Middle Game 1d20 + 9 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 9 + 6 = 24

As the game advances, Zorestar calmly uses a variety of tactics that each use multiple pieces in combination. Soon, Zorestar begins winning piece after piece giving him a tremendous material advantage. It is not long before this leads to his inevitable win.

End Game 1d20 + 9 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 9 + 7 = 24

"Check Mate!" Zorestar declares as he offers his hand. "Nice game. Would you care to play again?"

Bronwyn wrote:
"Now that I properly understand the rules."

"Splendid. It would be my pleasure."

Zorestar sets up the board and begins again. This time the wizard uses the more classical Andoran opening.

Opening 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

"Your opening is rather unorthodox, my friend. Perhaps you should consider developing more pieces. You will find that it gives you greater tempo which in turn leads to greater opportunities."

Middle 1d20 + 9 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 9 + 5 = 26

As the game progresses, Zorestar sets up a position to allow him to use a tactic called a windmill where he forces his opponent to give up piece after piece. After such a devastating loss, Bronwyn's position naturally crumbles.

"Forgive me, Sir Bronwyn, I could not resist taking advantage of this unique opportunity."

Ending 1d20 + 9 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 9 + 8 = 33

"Check Mate! Thank you for the game! We must play again some time." Zorestar politely offers another handshake.

Bron wrote:
"So, Zorestar, do you happen to have a nickname?"

Zorestar thinks for a moment deciding how to answer this question.

"Well, my brothers use to call me Zoree when we were young, but you are welcome to call me Zor if you are looking to use a relative minimum form of my name."

Bron wrote:
"So you know that in one month's time me and Carina are to be married."

Zorestar looks surprised at this news. "Married?! This seems rather sudden don't you think? She is certainly a fiery woman with a troubled past. Have you considered this matter carefully?"

Later in the conversation.

Bron wrote:
"You have run the books for your trading family before, and that knowledge will come in handy when we develop our tax charts."

"I am not as fond of accounting as I am of the calculus, arcana, or even engineering, but I am happy to offer my services at your request. I do wish to see this kingdom flourish, and I am willing to do whatever it takes to help that happen. As your need arises, please do not hesitate to ask me."

Later still . . .

Bron wrote:
"Would you be so kind as to enlighten those shady spots?"

"I am well aware of the intricacies of noble life and etiquette, but I am not always good at following that etiquette. I would be happy to advise you in such matters, but I confess I may not be very good at setting a proper example for you to follow. Tell me, Sir Bronwyn, do you plan to invite many nobles to this celebration?"


Human Ranger 3 / Rogue 2
Stats:
HP 38/38; AC 18, touch 13, Flat Footed 15; CMD 19; Fort +3, Reflex +9 (Evasion), Will +4; Perception +11 (+1 v traps; +2 v Humans); Initiative +3

"Not nearly as many as I'd like," the ranger laments as he leads his old horse to meet the others. "And this is my sister. Guess I never thought my family was worth mentioning."

"Did everyone find what they came here for?" Did I find what I came here for?


Male Half-Orc Cavalier (Gendarme)/5

"I did Ganit, but this is amazing news! What is your name?"

Jameson will get his armor enchanted to +1 and ask around for makers of specialty horse barding. Nothing I can afford yet but mithral barding would be fun.


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 28/28; AC16,T14,FF13

I smile back at the girl. Welcome, do you have a name, or are you just Ganit's sister? I hope you like the outdoors, because there is a lot of it down here.

Oh, I am Carina and the big guy on the horse is James, our knight in shining armor.

3,551 to 3,600 of 4,392 << first < prev | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Aron Marczylo's Kingmaker - Part 1: Stolen Land All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.