Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Aron Marczylo's Kingmaker - Part 1: Stolen Land (Inactive)

Game Master overfiend_87


3,301 to 3,350 of 4,392 << first < prev | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | next > last >>

Male Human Bard 4

He returns the gaze steadly:

I know you. I know who you are. You are a compassionate, honest, hardheaded, intelligent, beautiful woman. You saw these folk here terrorized and you fought for them. That's who you are, and that's the woman I fell in love with. That's not gonna change. I just have faith in you. Next time he appears just tell him you're in control. You have power on your own, Carina. You don't have to obey that wrinkled a@@!%@*.


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 12/28; AC16,T14,FF13

Carina continues to look into Bron's eyes: I hope so.

She continues to gaze a Bron for a few moments, obviously thinking of what to do, or say next.

Stay with me, keep this monster away.

With that, she lies back down holding Bron's hand and watching him.

Finally, after a few minutes of silence, Carina sits up and pulls Bron to her holding him tight.

Thank you. Promise you will never leave and will protect me from this monster.

She continues to hold him, not wanting to let go.


Male Human Bard 4

I promise, love.


Male Human Bard 4

Then he smiles and says, while accomodating himself on the small straw mattress:

Though we'll need a bigger bed.


Male Half-Orc Cavalier (Gendarme)/5

"At some point I'd be interested in traveling back north, I find myself with finely crafted armor and no way to have it enchanted. When I leave Donal behind I want to make sure I can get back to him. Tell me Oleg, when does the next caravan head North and what is it's return time?"

Might be a good time to pick up a cold iron weapon too. I want to keep things friendly with the fey but if I'm to help enforce the laws of a new nation...


Master of Procrastination and Grognardia
Carina Stigard wrote:

Still waiting on responses to my last post, but everyone seems to have gone to sleep on this game.

Carina listens to Kesten:

I am starting to wonder whether these noble types have an affinity for sh!t. Zorestar was rubbing it all over himself and your brother is full of it. The others can tell you about what happened, lets just say I sort of lost my temper with your brother and his need to insult us.

If this Varn is coming in peace and not seeking an advantage against us, the we will meet him with open arms. If he wishes to gain an advantage against us, then he better be prepared for a fight.

Carina pauses, and then suddenly sees that Oleg has stepped out to greet Kesten.

Thinking about the new nation we now have a Charter to found, what is your plan Kesten? And yours as well Oleg? Are you all planning on maintaining and guarding this wonderful establishment? Or would you consider moving further south with us once we start to set up camp? We are obviously going to need people knowledgeable in trade as well as skilled commanders to assure the safety of those who choose to settle with us.

Kesten:

"Well we were paid only to come down here and protect Oleh as we are a group of mercenaries so if you are willing to let us live and board for free whilst we get involved in the city we will be at your disposal." he takes out a sword and offers it to Carina as he goes on his knee symbolically. "I give you my sword. Those who threaten you or any of the rulers of this new nations will face the end of my steel." he states with a wide smile before getting back onto his feet.

Oleg:

"We'd like to keep the place open, but that doesn't mean we won't be involved in staying here forever. I'm starting to like the sound of your kingdom more and more and if you manage to build your way up here, see to it the fort can be used for whatever reason." he shrugs, liking the idea of a change in scenery, but he still appears to be grumbling like an old man.


Male Human Bard 4

Responding to Kesten, the bard offers:

What I want to offer you isn't a new contract for you and your men. What I offer is a place of honor in our nascent barony; a home for you, your men and their families. Soft soil where you all could sink in roots. We wouldn't give you free board for your work; you could build yourself a house in here. A position of responsability and hard work, but a position of honor and prestige. You wouldn't need to guess if the next month will bring a job or hunger. That's what I offer.


Male Half-Orc Cavalier (Gendarme)/5

"Sir Raslov. We must speak."

Jameson motions for Bronwyn to follow him. Once they're in a private area.

Bron:

"You've proven yourself a good man these last few months Bronwyn, but surely you must know if you choose to rule a kingdom that it will bring attention to yourself. Best you come clean with us before that happens lad. I don't know who you are, but I've know for some time now who you're not."

Jameson looks at the crest on Bronwyn's chest meaningfully at this point.


Male Human Bard 4

Although at this point there is no crest anywhere in Bronwyn's garb, but one can easily see (and point) to the vacant spots where the broken stitching still shows.

Approached by Jameson, Bron smiles and follows him, making small talk.

I also wanted to have a few words with ya, James. If you're really going north to find some sort of arcane smith or artisan, I'd like if you could get me some trinkets.

On a private place...:

Bronwyn walks calmly, his calm expression suddenly changing as he hears Jameson's declaration. For a split second his eyes flicker with doubt and another second later they find an amusing certainty, as if he was about to ask if this is a joke. Finally, his shoulders slouch even he looks strangely smaller, as he abandons the confident stance of a knight.

I... I will not lie to you Jameson. You do not deserve that. Ever since we met you offered me nothing but complete honesty and honored behavior. We fought and bled side by side, and whatever happens to me in the future I cannot betray that bond. I may have been too naive to think that I could simply leave that past behind and live a different life.

He rests his back on the nearby furniture/tree/whatever, partly to keep his hands from shaking.

I'm not... A real knight. I heard all about them during my childhood, the brave gallant knights who did the bidding of the king and slew dragons and all that. I grew up on those stories, and I'm not ashamed to say I may have fought a few mice with a wooden sword at some point. But uh, someone told me you had to be born into it, blue blood, noble-born and all. Son of a rich family, not some tavern whore's whelp.


Male Half-Orc Cavalier (Gendarme)/5

Bron:

The open spot for the heraldry works.

Jameson shakes his head at Bron's revelation.

"Someone has lied to you Bron, but you now have the chance to set it right. Though it's true some men are born nobles, fewer of them are noble of spirit. You have shown true nobility of spirit, whether you were born in a castle or a stable."

Jameson gentle puts his hands on Bron's shoulders.

"Become who you are Bron, do not hide behind a false identity. Keep the name if you feel it would be easier, but you are not pretending to be a noble my friend, you are a knight, and a noble."


Male Human Bard 4

Jameson:
Bronwyn stares at his boots, hoping no one will notice his eyes watering up.

That's all I'm... trying to do here. Trying to be... a better person, to make up for... everything. But what I do is no different than playing with a wooden sword. You, sir, are a true knight in shining armor. I honestly felt bad even calling me one after I met you.

He talks slowly, the task of working through his most deep secrets obviously taking some time.

I'm trying... to be a better person. I was given a second chance, and I'm taking it. A chance at an honest, hard-working life. I have taken the first steps towards it, Jameson. I promise to continue down that path. And I promise to stop using a title I haven't earned. If somehow in the future I do deserve it, I'd appreciate if it came from you. A knight can make another, isn't it how the story goes? How about if I squire for you and earn that when you fell I'm ready?


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 12/28; AC16,T14,FF13

If/when the group gathers back together.

Well all, we have a few decisions to make. We have a new charter to settle this land. Which leads to several decisions. Where shall we establish our base? The first settlement I suppose. And who is going to be in charge?

I have no skills in this area, but as I discovered working in a shop many years ago, people like me. At least they liked me before I became a monster. Having worked with you all, I think the rest of you have a similar lack of training for this. James, Zorestar and Bron, you all are of noble birth, but are not the eldest sons, so I am guessing you were not trained to take over the family estate and name when you fathers passed away. And Ganit and Telias, well, nothing personal, but I think that both of you are more comfortable ruling animals than people. So, we have to decide, who will be in charge, and what roles do the rest of you see filling?

So, where are we going to start this kingdom, and what do we build first. As we are on the edge of civilization, perhaps rebuilding the Stag Lord's keep would be optimal. It is in a great location, which is I am sure why the Stag Lord chose it. It is on a lake and has several waterways. We could also simply expand Oleg's trading post here, but it is not as easily defended with the plains in the area, and is many leagues from the southern part of the Stolen Lands, which we still have not explored. I suppose that the temple would also offer some options, but it is in the forest and would seem to be more difficult to develop.

My vote would be to use the Stag Lord's fort, rebuild the fort and establish a town outside the walls. What do you all think?


M Human Druid 5

"Ah think I don't have a say." Telias says removing the pipe from his mouth.


Male Human Bard 4

I think it would be fairly easy to renovate the fort, set things right there. We could have a very defensable position and a safe place where we could shelter our people in case of an attack. From then we start building a road north, raising farms along the rivers. That's good, fertile land. When the road reaches Oleg's we would have a stable trading route, even more so if we manage to put some simple ships going downriver. Come six months or so we could already be selling grain to Restov and southern Brevoy, using that gold to maintain our roads and keep everyone safe and sound.


Male Human Bard 4

I actually think you do, Telias. I've been meaning to have a word with you, and now's as good a time as any.

The bard looks down, trying to form a line of thought.

I know you are not a man of wasting words, so I'll cut the s+++. You have seen what happened here and the nearby lands, so you know this is going to happen. If we fail, they will just chuck it out and find some other idiots from the north to come back here and try again, and that time they'll send armed men following a lordly lord or something like that. They are not going to know the land nor care for the people here, and they will stomp around the forests and the fey.

He then looks eye to eye on the grumpy druid.

We care about this. But city idiots that we are we'll probably just stomp around as a pig does to a garden. I know that some fish lay eggs in the autumn or something like that, but not knowing which one or how, folks coming down here may just finish them off. We need some help, Telias. I care for this place enough to not want to see it razed and depleted. I want to do right by our fey allies. But we need some help, we need some guidance. And I don't see anyone around that knows more about this land than you. You may be a sour old bastard, but you're damn smart and knowledgeable. I propose that you join us in this effort and call us on our b*!$$!~@ and stupidity when we're about to do something idiotic. Show where we can harvest lumber and plant new trees. How we can work and till the land and not exhaust it. How the salmon swims upstream to lay eggs or something.


M Human Druid 5

Telias takes a drag from his pipe digesting the words quietly for a moment before bothering to speak.

"I like you boy. But you don't got no idea what yer talkin about. What yer askin. Ah didn't risk mahself goin ta restove to walk away with a big fancy charter and a nation ta build ta boot. I went because a man needed killin. And that man done been kilt. And that monster of his father too. Ye want me ta be part of somethin ah never asked fer and never cared fer. Ye think jes by havin me around people are gonna are gonna see mah way. When you don't even know what mah way is. Ye don't hear the conversations of the trees as they talk about last century as it was last week. You don't feel the life diggin through the dirt below you, or know deep in your bones when the places where this world is thin and the First World is just past the point where yer eyes focus."

Telias regards his pipe for a moment and shakes his head. "Nope. Not gonna do it. Yer not gonna stick a title on me and give me responsibility and pretend it's fer the betterment of whatever ya feel like. Ya don't know what yer askin. I live between. Between you and that other place. And iffin ya move men you upset the balance, upset the point between em. That's where old deadeye is ya know? He aint in no city and he ain't in no deep forest where no gods hold court. He's between. He puts his arrows in what needs killin and he teaches us how to protect ourselves from them when they is ill of temper. Nope. I got a higher callin. I can't stop what yer doin. But I don't have ta like it and I sure as hells don't have ta be a part of it."

"Ye can't tell a farmer not to cut these trees down to sow his fields. Or tell the blacksmith ta stop digging up ore fer his trade. Or the fisherman ta stop throwing his nets. Yer laws can't do that. Not if ya want them ta stay yer laws."

Thoughtfully, he takes out the ragged yellow charter that had been in his pocket the whole time. His pipe, still smoldering makes contact with it and he holds it up to the serious face of bronwyn as it starts to smolder and then ignite.


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 12/28; AC16,T14,FF13

Carina listens to the druid's response:
Perhaps you misunderstand. We are not asking you to join so much, as asking you for help and guidance. When we are holding court and making decision on whether to increase the amount we pay for the ores the kobolds mine and whether to allow a temple or a brothel to be build, somebody needs to be watching the fey, watching the wild, watching the First World. The only one who can do that is you Telias. Only a wise druid such as yourself has the ability to watch and guide our use of these natural resources we have been given.

To use your example, you are right, we cannot stop the man from throwing his net or the farmer from cutting down the tree. But, you can advise the fisherman that the fish are growing sparse and that the tree is the home to a dryad. You can make sure that we shepherd and care for nature so that the settlers, the fey, and all the other creatures can live in harmony.

Carina stops and thinks for a moment: Before you were with us, we came across a place which was despoiled. I do not know what caused it, but whatever it was, it was evil. In the middle of this place lay a beautiful unicorn - dead. It is actions such as this that you can help to avoid. You can educate the farmer on where to plant his crops to maximize his returns without having to chop down the fey forest. You can teach the fisherman how to catch different types of fish so that none become depleted. You can advise the miner to mine in places that are rich in ore, but in which they will not frustrate nature and the fey.

Telias, we need your help. The forests and plains and animals of this land need your help. So, as Bron requested, we would ask that you accept this new charter just as you accepted the charter to eliminate the Stag Lord. He was evil, and allowing this land to develop without any input from a wise oracle of nature such as yourself would be equally wrong.


Male Half-Orc Cavalier (Gendarme)/5

Bron:

"Gladly Bron, gladly."

*************************

Telias Leaving

"As he says Carina, it's his choice. We're not going to force anyone to live as we tell them too, only that they live in peace with us if they choose to live apart."


Human Ranger 3 / Rogue 2
Stats:
HP 38/38; AC 18, touch 13, Flat Footed 15; CMD 19; Fort +3, Reflex +9 (Evasion), Will +4; Perception +11 (+1 v traps; +2 v Humans); Initiative +3

The cold, weightless links of his mithral shirt slid down his back with the smoothness of a snake’s belly sending a refreshing chill branching from his spine to his extremities. Gwen had offered to take his travel worn clothing to be washed when they woke together that morning and he hadn’t bothered to argue. She left him in the tower with his jacket wrapped over her lithe frame, her crimson hair pulled to one side and a bashful smile playing at her soft, rose colored lips. ’What?’ she innocently laughed when she caught his eyes on her. That moment replayed itself in Ganit’s head throughout the day as he worked his routine: feeding and watering Felicity, cleaning his armor, sharpening his axe and knives, and other such tasks had pushed into the evening due to his late morning wake up.

Things in the dining hall weren’t as lively as he imagined they would be, likely attributed to Bronwyn and Carina’s departure and the impositions of the nobleman. So the ranger rolled himself a cigarette and resolved to put some fresh clothes on. The memory of Gwen asking her rhetorical question again replayed as he buttoned his shirt and tucked it loosely into his grieves. Years had come and gone since he had last been with a woman and none of them nearly as fetching as her. Despite all the reasonable points she had made last night, fact remained that she was wrong on at least one count: Josef Mordelle is indeed alive. Beaufort either killed the wrong man entirely or killed the right man poorly. Doesn’t matter now, Ganit thinks to himself, overly aware of the knife tucked away in the sheath buckled on his left forearm. My work is done here so it’s off to Restov to finish this deal for good.

As he stands atop his tower watching the ember topping his cigarette burn closer, a different memory than the one that had so tenderly affected him throughout the day surfaces. Mordelle towers over him with a bloodied knife in his hand. Unable to feel his arms or legs, Ganit watches helplessly as the “Tax Collector” juggles the blade menacingly before suddenly looking onward, happily surprised with what he sees. Delilah is thrown into view, into Mordelle’s arms. She’s crying, begging her brother to get up and help her, Ganit only watches. The taxman laughs and says something he can’t understand. Ganit cannot hear a single sound as the scene continues but he understands perfectly what is happening; this was just another ritual the taxmen performed, one he had headlined more times than he dared to recount. Leaning in close, Mordelle mouths something nasty and Ganit feels a coldness burrowing into his navel. ’What?’ Mordelle asks. That’s the last thing Ganit before Mordelle rakes his knife down his face and the world faded away to darkness.

With his mood turned sour, Ganit joins the others for a meeting of the minds. After Telias makes his plans known, Ganit takes the opportunity to put his feelings to word. ”The man makes a good argument. Well, for the most part. My obligation is fulfilled. The Stag Lord is dead and the rest of you are still alive, I’d say your tax dollars were put to good use. I’ve got some business in Restov so I’ll join Jameson on his trip and if our paths don’t cross afterwards, it’s been… fun.”


Male Half-Orc Cavalier (Gendarme)/5

"Bron I know you said you wanted a few things, let me know and Ganit and I will get them for you."


Later that day a group of well armed and armoured people approch the entrance to Oleg's from the south. The doors open and in come a group of eight men and a young woman who was riding with one, however she appears over-dressed for a ride out in the wilderness.

A single man steps foward from the group with a wide smile.
"My name is Maegar Varn and I wish to congradulate the heroes of the greenbelt for what they have done so far." he gives a wide smile to everyone. The young lady behind him putting her hands on her hips and shaking her head. She has long beautiful black hair and shining blue eyes like the deepest ocean. Her dress, though now a little dirty at the bottom from all the riding in the wild, is fit for a noble. The dress is a finely made dark green dress, fitted with precious stones into the design and pattern.
"I told you dad, coming with this many men you were going to give them the wrong impression." Unlike everyone else she appears to be wearing high heels which in this area, are unfit and makes her look out of place just like Zorestar.

One of the men dismounts as he laughs, having a symbol of Erastil on his armour.
"Maegar, you'll have to watch your daughter. She had a great idea with just the three of us. Afterall, we just want to greet these fine warriors and congradulate them, not scare them." As he says this other men dismount and remove their helms, tying up their horses to stay while they go and buy some drinks from Oleg and Svetlana.

DM Notes:

Maegar Varn's best friend - Caspar Morgarion

Maegar Varn's daughter is name Alicia Varn.


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 12/28; AC16,T14,FF13

Carina, who was still with the rest of the men discussing their future hears the arrival of Lord Varn's retinue. She walks out, having at least had a chance to wash and brush her hair, but still wearing her rather trail worn clothes.

It is an honor to meet you Lord Varn. I am Carina Stigard, and these are my companions. May I present Sir Bronwyn Greenwood, Sir Jameson Addercop IV, the wizard Zorestar Lebeda, Telias, sage of the wilds, and Ganit knight-ranger.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (6) + 5 = 11

Sadly, Carina has little understanding of the formalities of nobles and simply offers her hand in welcome.

Turning to the young lady. And welcome to you as well Miss . . . Varn? You look like you could use a quiet place and some clean water to wash away the dust of the trail. Trust me, I know all about the amount of dust you can gather in a short time on these plains.

Turning back to Lord Varn. I understand that congratulations are due to you as well. We shall have to visit Varnhold once we have established our settlement here in the Greenbelt. But, until then, Oleg has some of the best refreshments for many miles around.


Human Ranger 3 / Rogue 2
Stats:
HP 38/38; AC 18, touch 13, Flat Footed 15; CMD 19; Fort +3, Reflex +9 (Evasion), Will +4; Perception +11 (+1 v traps; +2 v Humans); Initiative +3

Ganit watches the strangers closely. The lack of subtlety was even greater an insult than the offense itself. The pretty little bird brought it up just like pretty little birds are trained to do and the smile the Lord Varn wore was every bit as condescending as the 'congratulations' they brought with them.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (18) + 12 = 30 (Lord Varn)
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19 (Little Lady Varn)
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (15) + 12 = 27 (Chatty Guardsman)

Ganit says nothing and merely spits in the dirt when Carina introduces him as a "knight-ranger" but continues to watch the interlopers with great interest as they dismount and begin treating Oleg's outpost as if it were their own land.


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 12/28; AC16,T14,FF13

Lol - if you guys would stop being all cloak and dagger and just tell me who/what you are, it would be much easier for me to give you the correct title. Until then, I just have to make up whatever title I think is appropriate. At least I did not introduce you as Sir Ganit D'Artain.


Human Ranger 3 / Rogue 2
Stats:
HP 38/38; AC 18, touch 13, Flat Footed 15; CMD 19; Fort +3, Reflex +9 (Evasion), Will +4; Perception +11 (+1 v traps; +2 v Humans); Initiative +3

Ganit is a crotchety old SOB. I guess I'm just not trying hard enough to make that CHAR 8 stick out.

Edit's above post: Foaming at the mouth, Ganit starts snarling and screaming unintelligible obscenities at the visitors. :p

To clear things up - you're doing fine with what you have. My miserable woodsman sees knights as A.) starry-eyed dreamers whose only dream to prance around on fluffy white horsies and rescue pretty princesses with overgrown hair from towers. or B.) Blood lusting, greedy high born savages who would kill indiscriminately in return for land, gold or words before their name. He's spent enough time being a knight by his own standards to want to be considered one again. (It cost him 11 fishermen and a butcher to the 'The Hermit' added to his profile. Just you think about that). I'm trying to put enough info about my PC in my posts without just having him conveniently tell the nearest player his life story. I've become aware of how annoying the 'mysterious stranger' is so I figured I'd go about fixing it with thought bubbles. Hopefully that gives you a bit of insight to his inner workings


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 12/28; AC16,T14,FF13

I like the fact that the "crotchety old SOB" is 32 years old while our ornery "shaman" is 30. Boy, you guys don't age well.


Human Ranger 3 / Rogue 2
Stats:
HP 38/38; AC 18, touch 13, Flat Footed 15; CMD 19; Fort +3, Reflex +9 (Evasion), Will +4; Perception +11 (+1 v traps; +2 v Humans); Initiative +3

Thematic Answer: The wilderness is a rough place. You grow old fast if you grow old at all.

Mechanic Answer: I'm sure everyone would hate to have their fate in a martial character with a -1 to all physical ability scores. At 15pts I couldn't afford it. I'll just pretend he's in his 40's and be done with it, lol.


Male Human Wizard 4 (hp: 33/33 AC: 13, FF: 12, T:12)

"My friends, I agree that we should set up our base of operations right at the Stag Lord's fort. There are great advantages to being right by the lake. That is how my family made their fortune. Besides providing a great means of trading, it will also give us a great resource for food. I hope you all like fish!"

"As for work, I am happy to perform whatever services you think my skills would be well suited for. I certainly like to use mathematics and my mind and would enjoy a lovely office with a nice desk with a view. What types of jobs do you think I could perform?"

When Maeger Varn congratulates the heroes, Zorestar cannot help but smile to himself. He graciously welcomes him to Oleg's. "I am Zorestar Lebeda at your service! I am delighted to see that you could make it to this little haven in the woods. I trust your trip was uneventful."


Male Human Bard 4

Bronwyn approaches the entourage and greets the newcomers warmly. He offers his hand in salutation to Maegar, maintaining eye contact and a firm grip.

Well met, Lord Varn. It's good that we have a chance to meet and talk about future developments. I heard you were a reasonable man, hope we can settle border issues and perhaps hammer down a trading deal. And maybe a friendly sparring if you feel like it.

The knight then gently bows to the young lady, offering an almost-flawless courtly greeting, offering to take her hand and kiss it.

Milady Varn, you seem to have lucked out and get your mother's features. She must be a beautiful woman indeed., he says in a comic tone, hoping to ellicit a friendly laugh from the visitors.

May your arrows always fly straight, and your shots always hit the mark, good priest., he offers the third man, making the simple gesture of Erastil's blessings.

As you see, our operation here is only beginning, but the good master Oleg Leveton and his lady Svetlana have been kind enough to offer us their holdings in assistance. Please be seated and let us wash the dust of the travel from your throats.


Incoming wall of text!

Carina Stigard wrote:

Carina, who was still with the rest of the men discussing their future hears the arrival of Lord Varn's retinue. She walks out, having at least had a chance to wash and brush her hair, but still wearing her rather trail worn clothes.

It is an honor to meet you Lord Varn. I am Carina Stigard, and these are my companions. May I present Sir Bronwyn Greenwood, Sir Jameson Addercop IV, the wizard Zorestar Lebeda, Telias, sage of the wilds, and Ganit knight-ranger.

Diplomacy: 1d20+5

Sadly, Carina has little understanding of the formalities of nobles and simply offers her hand in welcome.

Turning to the young lady. And welcome to you as well Miss . . . Varn? You look like you could use a quiet place and some clean water to wash away the dust of the trail. Trust me, I know all about the amount of dust you can gather in a short time on these plains.

Turning back to Lord Varn. I understand that congratulations are due to you as well. We shall have to visit Varnhold once we have established our settlement here in the Greenbelt. But, until then, Oleg has some of the best refreshments for many miles around.

Maegar Varn smiles as Carina's greetings.

"Please, call me Maedar. Lord Varn is my father and for my subjects to call me, but we are equals here, my lady and am delighted to meet you all. Come, let us sit and discuss our adventures." he bows down in respect and takes Carina's hand gently to kiss it. "I admit it must've been difficulty with the bandits you faced, I heard they had organised under some man or half-beast calling himself The Stag Lord. We too had problems with Spriggins and Centaurs, but we have managed to meet an agreement with the Centaurs, but we had to drive the Spriggins out, they were too destructive, but we've left them alone once they were outside the city." he explains as he states his experiences "I remember hearing there was some trouble going on with Mites and Kobolds, but I noticed they havn't been causing trouble or attacking people recently. I think I saw a group of Kobolds we passed, but since they did not attack I felt no need to chase them down."

Varn's daughter gives a embaressed smile.
"Yes well, I do not have any cloths for travelling in the country. My name is Alicia, Alicia Varn and it is a pleasure to meet you." she says as she shakes Carina's hand in a lady-like manner.

The Hermit Ganit D'Artain wrote:

Ganit watches the strangers closely. The lack of subtlety was even greater an insult than the offense itself. The pretty little bird brought it up just like pretty little birds are trained to do and the smile the Lord Varn wore was every bit as condescending as the 'congratulations' they brought with them.

Sense Motive: 1d20+12 (Lord Varn)
Sense Motive: 1d20+12 (Little Lady Varn)
Sense Motive: 1d20+12 (Chatty Guardsman)

Ganit says nothing and merely spits in the dirt when Carina introduces him as a "knight-ranger" but continues to watch the interlopers with great interest as they dismount and begin treating Oleg's outpost as if it were their own land.

Ganit:

You don't believe Lord Varn appears to be hiding anything about what he says and seems legitimate. However he does appear to express some respect when he speaks of the centaurs, but disgust at the Spriggins.

Alicia Varn appears to be annoyed at her father, but you can tell she still loves him and it's just one of those family things with arguments between two loved ones.

With the man wearing clerical clothing and displaying a holy symbol of Erastil for all to see it isn't difficult to see that he is a cleric to old Dead Eye. He appears to get along with Lord Varn in a friendly manner and they get along like old chums.

With Ganit's stareing Gwen nudges him with a smile.
"Already looking at beautiful women are we?" she grins as she kisses him on the cheek. "Why do you have such a serious look on your face, they seem to be only here for a visit."

Zorestar Lebeda wrote:
When Maeger Varn congratulates the heroes, Zorestar cannot help but smile to himself. He graciously welcomes him to Oleg's. "I am Zorestar Lebeda at your service! I am delighted to see that you could make it to this little haven in the woods. I trust your trip was uneventful."

"Well met, Zorestar Lebeda, It is the least I could do. We are all in the same boat afterall coming down here to tame these lands and start up civilisation. I haven't heard anything yet from the other groups, but I hope they too have been successful." he states hopefully.

Sir Bronwyn Raslov wrote:

Bronwyn approaches the entourage and greets the newcomers warmly. He offers his hand in salutation to Maegar, maintaining eye contact and a firm grip.

Well met, Lord Varn. It's good that we have a chance to meet and talk about future developments. I heard you were a reasonable man, hope we can settle border issues and perhaps hammer down a trading deal. And maybe a friendly sparring if you feel like it.

The knight then gently bows to the young lady, offering an almost-flawless courtly greeting, offering to take her hand and kiss it.

Milady Varn, you seem to have lucked out and get your mother's features. She must be a beautiful woman indeed., he says in a comic tone, hoping to ellicit a friendly laugh from the visitors.

May your arrows always fly straight, and your shots always hit the mark, good priest., he offers the third man, making the simple gesture of Erastil's blessings.

As you see, our operation here is only beginning, but the good master Oleg Leveton and his lady Svetlana have been kind enough to offer us their holdings in assistance. Please be seated and let us wash the dust of the travel from your throats.

Maegar Varn gives a nod and smile.

"Actually I wanted to discuss setting a trade route up with your kingdom. This way traders can be happy going through the kingdoms easier and some may even settle in our lands." he clears his throat "We have been building a road towards your kingdom, but not into it. If you have a map I could show you where you can connect a road if you wish to start trading."

Alicia Varn smiles as Sir Bronwyn's polite manner.
"Thank you, it is a pleasure to meet you too sir." she says with a smile and a courtsy. "You are a very handsome man yourself, Sir Raslov."

"May Old Dead Eye watch over you." the man gives a bow. "My name is Caspar Morgarion, High Priest of Varnhold, cleric to Erastil and long friend of Maegar Varn."

Maegar Varn turns to Oleg and Svetlana.
"I apologise for not greeting you. I have heard you were here and have been a safe haven for the hunters in the surviving area." he says as he smiles to the pair of them. "I heard Tessara of the Wood has been here. She's been avoiding Varnhold but I don't know why." he then discribes a woman who sounds like the one from that arrived at Oleg's with the veil over her eyes and her hood up.


Male Half-Orc Cavalier (Gendarme)/5

"The mites have been driven back but the kobolds are trading peacefully with us. If you hunt any in our lands we will be forced to take umbrage, Maegar."

Jameson says this in the tone one would use ordering potatoes from the grocer, and it is clear he considers this Maegar to be even less exciting and far less useful.

So like my father, and those who killed my brother.


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 12/28; AC16,T14,FF13

Carina turns and glares at Bron and his cavalier greeting to Alicia, her blue eye shining like ice.

He may not be a man for long if he is not careful.

Turning back to Varn with a smile as she gets the well worn map that we have been using.

Well, while we have not decided on an exact location, I believe our intention is to establish our main settlement a little more than a days ride south of here. I point to where the Stag Lord's fort was.

Where are you looking to build the road from Varnhold? As we have not decided how to fully develop our land yet, a connection to a friendly trading partner would be a good option and something that we would strongly consider.

You know, when I type something like this and read how it is worded, I realize why people hate lawyers.


Male Human Wizard 4 (hp: 33/33 AC: 13, FF: 12, T:12)

Zorestar lights up at the thought of increased trade. "Lord Varn, I mean Maegar, we would be delighted to start some trade routes. I think they would be mutually beneficial to all of the people of this land. I would be happy to analyze the maps with you and calculate the shortest route and help optimize trade. Please let me know your initial conditions and any constraints. Where do we wish to put the endpoints and what hazards, both geologically and zoologically, do we need to consider?"


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 12/28; AC16,T14,FF13

Carina looks over at Zorestar as though he is speaking a foreign language.


Jameson Addercop IV wrote:

"The mites have been driven back but the kobolds are trading peacefully with us. If you hunt any in our lands we will be forced to take umbrage, Maegar."

Jameson says this in the tone one would use ordering potatoes from the grocer, and it is clear he considers this Maegar to be even less exciting and far less useful.

So like my father, and those who killed my brother.

Maegar puts up his hands.

"As I said, I had no quarrel with the Kobolds as they did not attack us and they are clearly considered your citizens." he states as he clearly looked a bit insulted that he would hunt Kobolds. "I won't hurt any of your citizens, you have my word."

Carina Stigard wrote:

Carina turns and glares at Bron and his cavalier greeting to Alicia, her blue eye shining like ice.

He may not be a man for long if he is not careful.

Turning back to Varn with a smile as she gets the well worn map that we have been using.

Well, while we have not decided on an exact location, I believe our intention is to establish our main settlement a little more than a days ride south of here. I point to where the Stag Lord's fort was.

Where are you looking to build the road from Varnhold? As we have not decided how to fully develop our land yet, a connection to a friendly trading partner would be a good option and something that we would strongly consider.

You know, when I type something like this and read how it is worded, I realize why people hate lawyers.

Alicia backs away slightly

"Oh I'm sorry, I did not know he was spoken for." she apologises and bows her head.

Maegar is sure to answer Carina's questions.
"Varnhold is east of here. If you build a road leading to any of these areas we can start a trading route." he points to any of the areas furthest to the east

Zorestar Lebeda wrote:
Zorestar lights up at the thought of increased trade. "Lord Varn, I mean Maegar, we would be delighted to start some trade routes. I think they would be mutually beneficial to all of the people of this land. I would be happy to analyze the maps with you and calculate the shortest route and help optimize trade. Please let me know your initial conditions and any constraints. Where do we wish to put the endpoints and what hazards, both geologically and zoologically, do we need to consider?"

"I can't think of any conditions, besides certain items I do not wish to trade in slaves or poisons, but beyond that I cannot think of any other conditions on trading." he states and shrugs thinking it over. "We can visit later with the people involved in trading and discuss the terms and agreement." he too appears to be equally confused with what Zorestar said.

in game, this would give you a +2 to economy from the trade between two nations.


Male Human Bard 4

Bronwyn smiles, making the entire situation into a jest.

Spoken for would be a little understatement.

He leans in and wraps one arm around Carina's shoulder. Then he turns to Maegar:

I agree that it may be too soon to reach an agreement on trade, although seeing we both have the disposition to it should be really easy to work out the terms in the future. What we do need is to stablish clear-cut borders between us, so there won't be any disputes. We haven't seen a map for that region, but I believe the mountains east make for a clear-cut natural border. East of that would be Varnhold lands, and west of those would be our lands. What is your opinion on the matter?


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 12/28; AC16,T14,FF13

Oops, just realized that we are in hills here, so farming and stuff will take longer and cost a little more.

So, if we take the Kobold's hex we get +1 econ for the mine, if we build a road on that hex, and also the one with the river crossing, would that satisfy the road to the east requirement and get us the bonus/trade route? Also, do we need to pay for a bridge in the "River Crossing" hex?


Human Ranger 3 / Rogue 2
Stats:
HP 38/38; AC 18, touch 13, Flat Footed 15; CMD 19; Fort +3, Reflex +9 (Evasion), Will +4; Perception +11 (+1 v traps; +2 v Humans); Initiative +3
Gwen wrote:
"Why do you have such a serious look on your face, they seem to be only here for a visit."

Turning away from the group to keep his words with Gwen private. "So it seems," he whispers. "With half a dozen mounted swords at his back we can only hope his trade offer is reasonable."


M Human Druid 5

Telias never answered Carin's question. All was needed to be said was said. Repeating himself would just be a waste of breath. Instead before their eyes as the charter burned at his feet he replaced his pipe shifted his form to that of a scruffy eagle and takes off clumsily not quite making the majestic and elegant departure one might expect.

For a while Telias is gone though the sight of his scruffy hawk pet is spotted at times pausing on the stockade just long enough to harass Zorestar's raven before flying off.

GM:
Telias is basically spending a great deal of his time exploring his newfound ability to fly if that allwos me to spot the group of heavily armed people heading towards the outpost. :)


Master of Procrastination and Grognardia
Telias Markan wrote:

Telias never answered Carin's question. All was needed to be said was said. Repeating himself would just be a waste of breath. Instead before their eyes as the charter burned at his feet he replaced his pipe shifted his form to that of a scruffy eagle and takes off clumsily not quite making the majestic and elegant departure one might expect.

For a while Telias is gone though the sight of his scruffy hawk pet is spotted at times pausing on the stockade just long enough to harass Zorestar's raven before flying off.

** spoiler omitted **

Telias:

Bit late as they have already entered the outpost with Lord Varn and co.


M Human Druid 5

Telias:
Well I didn't say I was intending to warn them. :)


Male Human Wizard 4 (hp: 33/33 AC: 13, FF: 12, T:12)

Even with the Lord's confusion, Zorestar is pleased with this initial dialogue.

"Splendid! Splendid! Naturally we will not wish to trade in slaves or poison either! Master Maegar, I think we are both in agreement to a trade between our regions. By any chance do you have any gourmet foods or soft beds that you would be willing to send this way? I think in our future it will be very important that our people sleep well and are well fed!"


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 12/28; AC16,T14,FF13

Carina looks at Zorestar, and then back to Varn:

I apologize, while he may sound foolish and out of touch with the reality of living here on the edge of civilization, he is a fine spellcaster and a good person. Eventually we will manage to get him a nice feathery bed. Unfortunately until that time, I am afraid we will all have to listen to him complain about the lack of silk sheets and fine linens.

Carina shakes her head will attempting to surpress a foolish smile while rolling her eyes at Zorestar:

Now then, back to business. Once we have established the road to the east, I expect that both our kingdoms will greatly benefit. We have good resources here, and I am sure that your land does as well.

Turning my head and looking over at Oleg:

And most importantly. Oleg, I think it is time to break out some of that good stuff we returned from the Stag Lord's fort with. This seems like a prime time to sample the vintage.


Male Human Wizard 4 (hp: 33/33 AC: 13, FF: 12, T:12)

"My dear, Maegar, please forgive my dear friend, Carina. She has lived a hard life, and much like a martyr, she does not permit many comforts into her life. In fact all of my companions seem to share her belief. Although they are very good friends, and wonderful to have in a difficult position, my suspicion is that they believe if life is hard then they become stronger. They also seem to believe in the inverse. If life is softer, it makes you weaker. Hehe! Can you imagine such ludicrousy? I have been trying to assure them of the lack of truth value to their hypothesis, but they will not believe me. Thus you can clearly see why I need to acquire a soft featherbed to disprove their theory! I wonder if you have any contacts that could help me with this acquisition?"


Female Changling(Hulking) Sorcerer - Orc Bloodline/5 - HP: 12/28; AC16,T14,FF13

I look over at Bron and shrug:

Zorestar, as a question, did your family make its fortune trading in feather beds? Or trading in more normal goods such as food stuff, iron ore, weapons, animals and the like. And if your answer is feather beds, I am going to be very concerned.

I turn back to Lord Varn.

Lord . . . er . . . Maegar, we are very interested in opening this trade route as soon as possible. I would expect many goods to travel back and forth, be they natural resources or the products of artisans and craftsmen - I frown over at Zorestar. Such as feather filled beds.


The Hermit Ganit D'Artain wrote:
Gwen wrote:
"Why do you have such a serious look on your face, they seem to be only here for a visit."
Turning away from the group to keep his words with Gwen private. "So it seems," he whispers. "With half a dozen mounted swords at his back we can only hope his trade offer is reasonable."

"Well...if it isn't you can easily get him with an arrow between the eyes, but I doupt that would be any good for our relations." she stated leaning up against the wall and smiling towards him.


Male Half-Orc Cavalier (Gendarme)/5

Jameson grunts at the lordlings apology before listening to the talk of trade routes and alliances.

Is this why my father is always so angry?


Sir Bronwyn Raslov wrote:

Bronwyn smiles, making the entire situation into a jest.

Spoken for would be a little understatement.

He leans in and wraps one arm around Carina's shoulder. Then he turns to Maegar:

I agree that it may be too soon to reach an agreement on trade, although seeing we both have the disposition to it should be really easy to work out the terms in the future. What we do need is to stablish clear-cut borders between us, so there won't be any disputes. We haven't seen a map for that region, but I believe the mountains east make for a clear-cut natural border. East of that would be Varnhold lands, and west of those would be our lands. What is your opinion on the matter?

"I believe the boarders are for what you've been allowed to map out as far to the east as you have." he points back to the map and looks over all the different notes. "As part of this agreement, we can come to each other's aid if Surtova or some greedy lord of the river nation attempts to claim either of our lands. I havn't gotten too far with my kingdom, but soon enough we'll be equipping men just in case of any attack in which I hope to look to you for aid if such a thing were to happen."

Zorestar Lebeda wrote:

Even with the Lord's confusion, Zorestar is pleased with this initial dialogue.

"Splendid! Splendid! Naturally we will not wish to trade in slaves or poison either! Master Maegar, I think we are both in agreement to a trade between our regions. By any chance do you have any gourmet foods or soft beds that you would be willing to send this way? I think in our future it will be very important that our people sleep well and are well fed!"

"The actual trade, will be left up to the traders, I'm afraid I'm only the ruler and don't know of what exactly can be traded, but we should both make money on taxes on those merchants going between our nations." he gives a polite smile. "I'm sure our Treasurer can make it more clear on the specificts."

Carina Stigard wrote:

Carina looks at Zorestar, and then back to Varn:

I apologize, while he may sound foolish and out of touch with the reality of living here on the edge of civilization, he is a fine spellcaster and a good person. Eventually we will manage to get him a nice feathery bed. Unfortunately until that time, I am afraid we will all have to listen to him complain about the lack of silk sheets and fine linens.

Carina shakes her head will attempting to surpress a foolish smile while rolling her eyes at Zorestar:

Now then, back to business. Once we have established the road to the east, I expect that both our kingdoms will greatly benefit. We have good resources here, and I am sure that your land does as well.

Turning my head and looking over at Oleg:

And most importantly. Oleg, I think it is time to break out some of that good stuff we returned from the Stag Lord's fort with. This seems like a prime time to sample the vintage.

At the proposition of something of vintage to drink he gives a grin.

"That's great to hear. Just like all rulers of nations we shall sit down to drinks and continue these discussions until we cannot talk anymore." he gives a laugh "If it won't cause any trouble, I'd like my men to take part. They have ridden with us a long way and deserve a stiff drink. I'm willing to cover the cost if you wish."


Human Ranger 3 / Rogue 2
Stats:
HP 38/38; AC 18, touch 13, Flat Footed 15; CMD 19; Fort +3, Reflex +9 (Evasion), Will +4; Perception +11 (+1 v traps; +2 v Humans); Initiative +3
Gwen of the Greenbelt AKA DM wrote:
"Well...if it isn't you can easily get him with an arrow between the eyes, but I doupt that would be any good for our relations."

"Probably not," he laughs. He listens for a while as the others talk of their plans and, determining they're not here on a military agenda, loosens his guard and brings himself closer to Gwen. "These people already have enough on their plate without adding some national incident. Besides, the Varnfolk look mostly harmless anyway."

He watches as the cavalcade swarms into the dining hall, laughing loudly and talking business, but is obviously uninterested in joining them. "Gwen, where is your father? I have a few things I need to speak to him about but I haven't seen him since last night."


The Hermit Ganit D'Artain wrote:
Gwen of the Greenbelt AKA DM wrote:
"Well...if it isn't you can easily get him with an arrow between the eyes, but I doupt that would be any good for our relations."

"Probably not," he laughs. He listens for a while as the others talk of their plans and, determining they're not here on a military agenda, loosens his guard and brings himself closer to Gwen. "These people already have enough on their plate without adding some national incident. Besides, the Varnfolk look mostly harmless anyway."

He watches as the cavalcade swarms into the dining hall, laughing loudly and talking business, but is obviously uninterested in joining them. "Gwen, where is your father? I have a few things I need to speak to him about but I haven't seen him since last night."

"I do wonder how he heard of Tessara. Maybe she would be comfortable there." she states and looks back to Ganit as he asks the question. "He's nearby. The old man is up one of the towers there, looking over the lands." as she says this she points to him, standing by one of the catapults and just stareing off, seemingly lost in thought.

3,301 to 3,350 of 4,392 << first < prev | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Aron Marczylo's Kingmaker - Part 1: Stolen Land All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.