Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM-All-Stars´ Darkmoon Vale Campaign

Game Master Tim Bürgers

This is a campaign where all players take turns in DMing. We play the Darkmoon Vale-Series Modules so far.


201 to 242 of 242 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>

Gounar backs Thorid in his drive to push on. He is also keeping an eye on their prisoner. Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26 until Bollon is able to summon a mount to carry him away.


Female Aasimar Summoner 1

Kestrel spends most of her time keeping an eye out as they travel forward. When time comes to rest, often seems to slip away to find a clearing. There takes out a small brown wooden bird attached to a long string, and swings it up above her head or in broad circles. After some time she seems to catch a glimpse of something in the sky. Once she has, she returns the bird to her pouch and returns to her place in the marching order, bow in hand. She travels with he bow ready, and an arrow ready, just in case she might need to draw and fire; either to catch prey, or halt a threat.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8


As you send the hobgoblin away on the summoned horse, he showers you with false-faced thanks for minutes until he is finally out of hearing-range.

As you continue your journey, the dense trees and thick brush of the forest give way after a few hours, parting seemingly in respect for the titanic darkwood tree that dominates a clearing right before you. Several times taller than a temple minaret, in one direction the obviously ancient
tree reaches into the sky with branches like a giant’s arms, while in the other it plumbs the earth with roots thicker than a man’s waist. Its limbs broad and strong, its bark thick and so richly colored as to almost be black, and its leaves the size of bucklers, the giant thing is less a tree and more a cathedral of boughs and branches.


"The Elder Tree..."

Gounar stops and eyes it for a moment, feeling like he is absorbing some sort of mystical vibrations coming from this monument of nature.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8


Female Aasimar Summoner 1

"It seems like a good candidate. The moss is supposed to grow on it, yes? Lets have a look and see if we can find it."

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26


M Wayang Cavalier of the Sword (Emissary)1

As Ki examines the tree and area around it he comments What a wonderful tree. There are those who would cut it to make shields and such from its strong and light wood.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24


Kestrel and Ki clearly spot a patch of fine Moss growing around the trunk of the tree, quite easily accessible with a climb. But...

Both of them also spot three possibly dead bodies hanging between the branches of the tree...


M Wayang Cavalier of the Sword (Emissary)1

Dead Boddies???!!!

Eying the bodies in the trees, Ki tries to decide if they are animal or humanoid, and also for any signs of how they died. Are they caught up in branches, or do ropes hold them up?

Careful friends. Others have attempted this task and did not fair well.


HP: 11 (11 total) M Dwarf Cleric (Artifice/Construct Theologian) of Torag | lvl 1

At Ki's warning, Thorid readies his hammer and looks among the branches trying to determine if there is life in the bodies.

perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18

On yer toes, lads. Let's not make a habit of fallin' inta ambushes.


The bodies are obviously of three medium-sized Humanoids. They hang between the branches as if some sort of beast put them there for later use. No vines or webs seem to bind them.

But the rest of the tree is just so huge that it is nearly impossible to tell, what threat might have put the three people there.


M Wayang Cavalier of the Sword (Emissary)1

Who shall gather what we need? I will stay ready and be on guard. The small wolf rider begins to patrol around the tree. Perhaps we should remove and inhume the bodies before departing.

How high up are the bodies and generally how hard to climb up?


Male Varisian Human Thassilonian Conjurer 1

I'd send Snorey to gather the moss, but with an obvious unknown threat in the branches, it seems not wise. Maybe the best climber of us should go. The rest of us could stand here, ready to shoot at whatever will come.


Female Aasimar Summoner 1

"I can climb quite well, but I'm also perhaps one of the best to cover the climber," she says hefting her bow.

Climb +6


HP: 11 (11 total) M Dwarf Cleric (Artifice/Construct Theologian) of Torag | lvl 1

I don't climb but hand me a rope an' I'll secure it up in tha branches after we have another look 'round fer trouble.

Thorid grumbles a prayer to Torag (detect magic) and walks around the tree looking for any magical auras to report.


There are no magical auras on or around the tree.


Male Varisian Human Thassilonian Conjurer 1

I can provide backup by calling extraplanar help in combat, if need be.


HP: 11 (11 total) M Dwarf Cleric (Artifice/Construct Theologian) of Torag | lvl 1

No magic ta speak of... but I suppose tha tree could snatch us up an' hug us tight any time.

Thorid sighs and puts his hands on his hips as he looks up at the branches.

We gotta get this done an' I suppose we're treadin' on tha threshold of over analysis. Let's get some body up there fer tha moss an' move along. If somethin' does happen we just gotta be ready fer it.


Female Aasimar Summoner 1

I believe it was asked, but how high up are the bodies? The tree sounded quite large...


M Wayang Cavalier of the Sword (Emissary)1

I am no tree climber, but I am quite deadly with this bow. He indIcates the small masterwork composite strength bow on his back. Up you go Kestrel.


Considering the height of this massive tree, the bodies hang very low at about 40 ft..

As Kestrel nears the mighty trunk of the Eldertree...

Perception DC 23:
A green-scaled, snake-like draconic beast slithers down to you, ready to attack.You won't be surprised in the following combat.


Female Aasimar Summoner 1

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Awesome rolls all around!


M Wayang Cavalier of the Sword (Emissary)1

Perception: 1d1 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

Ki is focused away from the tree, looking for threats outwardly.


HP: 11 (11 total) M Dwarf Cleric (Artifice/Construct Theologian) of Torag | lvl 1

perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13


Male Varisian Human Thassilonian Conjurer 1

Perception:1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6


Gounar? Are you still with us?


Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


M Wayang Cavalier of the Sword (Emissary)1

Hi all. I am back from my Thanksgiving travels and available to play. Lets roll.


With a loud hiss, a big serpentine creatures darts from the branches above. Hanging suspended on the lower branches of the Eldertree, it bites at you.

Anyone who hasn't done so far, please roll for intitiative. Anyone who is trained in Arcana may roll for monster knowledge.


M Wayang Cavalier of the Sword (Emissary)1

Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

The wayang is surprised by the sudden attack from the creature but recovers quickly and readies his lance for a charge/ride by attack. As he spurs his mount forward he shouts Fight me you foul ambusher! This is a Challenge

Lance Attack:

Lance: 1d20 + 7 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 7 + 1 = 232d6 + 6 + 1 ⇒ (3, 3) + 6 + 1 = 13


Female Aasimar Summoner 1

Might I suggest the GM usually rolls Initiative? It tends to speed things up as waiting for everyone can take a full day or more... My 2 cents.


I'm fine with the GM rolling Init going forward

Init: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

Assuming Gounar can actually reach the creature on his turn
Gounar recovers from the surprise and centers himself, gathering his inner energies to stop the hostile creature.
Atk: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
Dmg: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Stunning Fist DC13

Ooh, a crit! I hope it's not wasted...
Confirm: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Crit Dmg: 1d6 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9


Thanks for the advice, I will make good use of it!

Ini Dragon-Thing:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

The green "snake" darts forward and takes a bite at Ki:

Atk: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (17) + 8 = 25 damage: 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

...and after that, a big fist flies in from the side and Gounar breaks several of the beast's bones, leaving it heavily wounded.

...assuming Gounar delays until the dragon-thing is near enough, since it charges.

Wracked in pain, the green-scaled monster recoils from Ki and forgoes its attempt to grab him with his muscular snake-like body.


M Wayang Cavalier of the Sword (Emissary)1

Having a little trouble following. Was that attack in the surprise round? Since Ki was not the tree climber I was thinking he was not near the tree. I know its big so maybe he was just not near the trunk. If he was attacked the creature may be too close for him to charge it.


Oh sorry. The beast attacked when you attempted to climb the tree. I assumed "in dubio pro ludenti" that Gounar was close enough to attack. I usually forgoe a combat-map when only a single opponent is involved or the situation is quite simple. And in these cases, I usually rule in favor of the players. Short: This was the surprise round and normal combat starts now.


M Wayang Cavalier of the Sword (Emissary)1

Sorry to be dense, but I am still confused. Ki had announced he was a poor climber, moved back and recommended Kestrel climb. He missed his perception roll, but was no where near the trunk and certainly not climbing. His motto is "never get off the wolf". So if he was attacked, the serpent must have dropped down and is hanging from the canopy near Ki. Are we going with that?


Female Aasimar Summoner 1

Kestral was going to be the one climbing the tree, so I am fine with it if she was the one attacked.

Kestral jumps back from the creature, drawing her bow. Fitting an arrow to the string, she looses, the bowstring humming.

If she is in melee with the creature she'll 5ft step back, draw her bow (move action) and fire. If she's not, she'll just draw and fire.

Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 5 + 1 = 26 -4 if it is in melee with Ki.
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
Confirm: 1d20 + 5 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 5 + 1 = 16
Additional Crit Damage: 2d8 + 2 ⇒ (8, 2) + 2 = 12 - 17 damage total.


M Wayang Cavalier of the Sword (Emissary)1

I hope I did not derail us. Only trying to figure out who was where and what was happening. I am ready to roll, and would like to see this game pick up the pace. Is that a possability?


What a mess. Okay, let`s just assume the thing is so hungry that it left the tree...


After the death of the horrible predator, the titanic Eldertree stands before the group in all of his massive majesty.

Somewhere on this tree, the Elderwood Moss must grow and with it a part of Falcon's Hollow's salvation.

Where/how do you want to search for the moss?


M Wayang Cavalier of the Sword (Emissary)1

I'll start with a perception since I do not have Knowledge Nature. Wondering if it could be the roots, based on how you asked it. :)

Ki rides slowly around the tree looking it up and down. Ears smells the around and looks too. Anyone know what this stuff looks like? Maybe it smells funny.

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

Perception Assist: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


While Gounar has never studied moss specifically, he has sure seen lots of it while travelling around these parts. He tries to recall any patterns about it, and seems to remember that it often grows on northern parts of tree trunks.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Knowledge Geography: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Survival: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7


Female Aasimar Summoner 1

I'm still confused about the snake thing. If it was defeated, how exactly did that happen, and when? If there was a mistake and the meleers shouldn't have been able to reach it, then we should clarify and kill it for real...

201 to 242 of 242 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM-All-Stars´ Darkmoon Vale Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.