Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Alexander Kilcoynes Serpents Skull PbP- Chapter 2, Racing to Ruin (Inactive)

Game Master Alexander Kilcoyne

"I might toss her back into the sea for good measure"

Nkechi "The Tempest", speaking about Willow Whisperwood.


1,101 to 1,150 of 1,199 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>

Your Humble Narrator

I've said Chi found it but no one has yet declared they are looking through it.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

'broze can you have a look at the book. If we're lucky it might have a map or details of the mine or some such.

Marcus peers into the entrance.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

Ambroze nods in agreement with Marcus' request and examines the contents of the book.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

"What about this book Ambroze, it might hold some clues?" as Chi presents the moldy book to him. "Do you have some magic that might repair and clean it up a bit, it would be a shame to see if it became unusable." says Chi, smiling with pleasure at her find. "It might have secrets we can use!"


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th
Marcus Alanto wrote:

Assuming the book doesn't look like it has anything useful (ie a map or details on the mine).

Yep. Lets get started. Can I have a light on my shield?

Marcus will lead the way into the tunnels.

Willow will you stand at the rear with Chi?

Thinking me just in front of Tun'ada, Tsura and Ambroze in the middle, Chi and Willow at the rear unless someone has a better idea. Also suggest casters cast any hours/lvl before we go in.

Willow nods at the request and nods to him.

"Sure."


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

Ambroze casts Prestidigitation to clean the book as carefully as he can.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Once Ambroze has cleaned the book up Chi waves her hands over the book and stares at it intently. "Well Ambroze where's the title."she scans the book looking for a title, to give an idea of it's contents.

If none is found, she carefully opens the cover to look at the first page.

Casts Detect magic on the book.


Your Humble Narrator

Not in the house at the moment but i'll update tonight or tomorrow :).


Your Humble Narrator

DM Only:

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21

After passing the book over between them, Ambroze cleaned the book carefully with a simple cantrip. The last few entries in the logbook are dated 15 years ago and document the mining company’s downfall. The mine’s owner, a man named Feran Crinhouse, was looking for new salt deposits and decided to secretly try connecting his mine with another mine on the far side of the hills, abandoned earlier under mysterious circumstances and rumored to be haunted. Feran dismissed these fears as "native superstitions".

Just as the miners broke through to the abandoned mine, they unearthed a strange orb that glowed with a pulsing blue light. Crinhouse decided to go down into the mine to personally investigate. The final entry is in a different handwriting, and reads in hastily scrawled Taldane-

“They’ve come up from below! They’re all dead, and their touch withers the flesh! May the gods have mercy on us!”


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

Dead whose touch withers flesh... Is this enough info for Ambroze to make a Knowledge (religion) check to ID - or at least to begin to develop some workable theories?


Your Humble Narrator

Yes but be aware the DC will be significantly higher with such a vague description, and you may draw a false conclusion.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

In that case I believe I'll wait until we see one of these creatures.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

"Then we know the dangers we face, spirits whose souls seek revenge on the living, be ready to send their souls to the gods for judgement." says Chi ready to move on into the cave. "it will be as dark as the blackest of nights in there, I can do my best to look out for hidden dangers, but to be truthful, I would need a light to provide some illumination to see. Who will lead us into the mine?"


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Marcus stands by the entrance impatiently.

I raised order and prep above.


Your Humble Narrator

You have a bit longer to declare any prep before you go in. I'm on the way to London right now and hoped to update via my iPad, but unfortunately I can't get to the PDF on here apparently.


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th

wow london and you have a Ipad? I've been missing a lot.

Willow wrinkles her nose in dislike at the mention of possible undead.
"I say we purify the area of this scourage. Such unnatural beings need to be destroyed so that nature can take it's course and they return to the earth where life begins."


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Tun'ada nods in agreement, ready to do what must be done.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5
Marcus Alanto wrote:
Thinking me just in front of Tun'ada, Tsura and Ambroze in the middle, Chi and Willow at the rear unless someone has a better idea. Also suggest casters cast any hours/lvl before we go in.

This marching order sounds good. Ambroze is ready to descend into the depths.


Your Humble Narrator

The wooden beams supporting the mine’s main entrance are weathered and sagging. Water trickles down the sloping floor among the wooden footholds leading down the main shaft.

Just before entering the narrow tunnel before you, light is cast upon Marcus' blade. Tsura also casts Bulls Strength upon both Marcus and Tun'ada, augmenting their already impressive physiques with magic.

Other than the magical light upon Marcus' blade, the tunnels of the mine appear to be pitch black, and coated with dust and salt. Beyond the initial, downward sloping tunnel, the walls of the mine are carved from gray rock salt, and most of the tunnels and chambers in the mine are flooded with water, ranging in depth from knee-deep to shoulder-deep. Ahead, narrow walkways connected by rickety wooden bridges run along the walls, the first of which is visible before the mine shaft curves out of sight.

Having traversed the initial tunnel, you find yourselves facing the beginning of the flooded section of the mine, the first walkway in front of you and to the right.

The sharp eyes of the group note that something in the glistening water seems to be a slightly different shade than the water itself; almost entirely transparent but to the well-trained perception of the group, distinct from the water around it. Ambroze swiftly surmises that the creature is some kind of ooze that likely uses the water as an animal trap.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

The walkway goes over the water?


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

Ambroze casts his Dancing Lights cantrip, shaping the lights into a faintly glowing humanoid shape. The gnome scholar then directs the glowing form toward the water. If the ooze reacts and attempts to attack the light, Ambroze will direct the glowing form to move away, trying to draw the ooze away from the walkway.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Watching Ambroze with his distracting lights, Chi whispers to him, "These walkways, are they safe?" as her eyes gaze along the walkways as best she can.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

"Marcus, can you move your light over here?" Ambroze asks softly, moving toward the wooden walkway as he keeps one eye on his humanoid-shaped light near the water. "I want to take a look at this walkway."

Assuming Marcus brings the light over, Knowledge (engineering) check to examine the walkway: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11 - sure, it's totally safe! The heaviest person should go first...

Note to Self: Put more ranks in Knowledge (engineering) at next level-up.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Marcus does so.


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Tun'ada creeps in behind the gnomish scholar, longspear in hand, ready to strike at anything that may try to harm Ambroze.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

"Careful, one at a time." says the witch, "Do you want me to test it out first, after all I'm lighter than you and might be able to see a weaker part of the structure." She starts to tie a rope around her waist. "Here hold this as I go." she asks Tun'ada

Perception take a 10 for 28 to look for dodgy bits of the walkway.


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th

have we rested since our black pearl excursion? I've forgotten.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

It's been several days since the black pearl excursion.


Your Humble Narrator

You were meant to have prepped a different set of spells since then as it has been several days. Please do so now before we continue, Willow.


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th

very sorry for holding everyone up. done the selection now.

spell selection:

Druid (Jungle Druid) Spells Prepared (CL 5):
3 (2/day) Call Lightning (DC 18), Call Lightning (DC 18), Cure Moderate Wounds
2 (3/day) Stone Call, Flame Blade, Tree Shape, Fog Cloud
1 (5/day) Magic Fang, Produce Flame (x3), Obscuring Mist, Ant Haul (DC 16)
0 (at will) Stabilize, Read Magic, Purify Food and Drink (DC 15), Detect Magic


Your Humble Narrator

The walkways go over the water, yeah. Essentially there is an upper level of walkways and a lower, flooded level, about fifteen feet apart at the moment.

The ooze followed Ambroze's light, slowly moving through the water and seemingly attempting to envelop it. The strange creature still seemed confused in its strange manner as the group left the initial chamber via the walkway.

The group continued on for some time, another minute or so, along the walkways leading through the mine.

DM Only:

Chi- 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (2) + 18 = 20 (+1 to find traps)
Marcus 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
Tun'ada- 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (12) + 13 = 25
Ambroze- 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Willow- 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14 (+2 in natural settings, +2 in jungle)
Tsura- 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Stealth: 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (11) + 19 = 30

As you rounded another corner in the dank, dark mine- across to the other side lay an alcove, with the remains of a small camp-site. Chi's keen eyes could make out an iron strongbox by the old fire, as well as a bone scroll case. The alcove was just above the water line, on the other side of the next walkway the group were about to traverse. To reach the alcove, someone would likely have to leap fifteen feet or so from the walkway or simply swim in the water below.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

Is there enough room to get a 10-ft running start for the leap?


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

AK:

Alex I've gone through the perception calculation again,
and HeroLab had it right...see the stuff below.
Alertness +2
Elf +2
Specs +5
Skill Focus +3
Class +3
skill +4
= Perception skill 19
Rogue traps +1
= base trap spotting 20


Your Humble Narrator

Chi:

Thanks, noted.

Ambroze- yup.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Marcus peers into the dark water.

I don't fancy a swim there and who knows how far to the next section. Can anyone, you know, magic the stuff up. He wiggles his fingers.

Mage hand should get the case don't know about the box.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

"Good idea, Marcus," Ambroze replies. The gnome scholar points toward the bone scroll case and mutters the words to a minor cantrip, motioning for the scroll case to float to his outstretched hand.

Cast Mage Hand (range 35 ft) to lift the bone scroll case and bring it to us on the walkway.


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Seeing the alcove and hearing the assumed conversation about leaping across, Tun'ada says, "Ambroze, if you can send a light source over there, I will leap across to examine the strongbox."

Assuming a light source is sent over...

The tribesman's form shifts into something vaguely resembling a cat-like humanoid, even more lean and sinewy than Tun'ada's natural form, as he leaps across the water.

Acrobatics (jump): 1d20 + 19 ⇒ (10) + 19 = 29


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

After Ambroze has attempted to retrieve the bone scroll case:

Ambroze reaches into his magical haversack and withdraws a coil of fine silk rope. "Here, Tun'ada. Before you try to jump across we can secure one end of the rope here and then you can use it to climb back up if need be," the gnome scholar suggests, handing the rope to the tribesman. Ambroze then calls upon another of his minor magicks to send four glowing globes of light spinning across the gulf to illuminate the alcove.


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th

Willow casts produce flame to keep herself armed in case something appears.

lasts for 5 mins, unless something happens before then.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Chi keeps a look out over the water, her bow ready to protect Tun'ada. She whispers to Willow, "Tun'ada is brave, if a little foolhardy. But then we would all used our skills to help our friends, remember that Willow."


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Marcus readies his bow as well.


Your Humble Narrator

Preparations were made while Ambroze effortlessly floated the scroll case to his waiting, outstretched hand. He read it while the others cast their spells, readied weapons, tied rope off and muttered quietly to one another, before sending his lights across to the alcove for Tun'ada. it appeared to be the deed to the mine itself with a small addendum hastily scrawled at the end in small, neat handwriting.

I, Ferin Crinhouse, am the legally binding owner of the Fzumi Salt Mine. My next of kin is Athyra Crinhouse, my daughter; and should there be dispute of this mine's ownership upon my passing to Pharasma, I declare here formally that this mine is her inheritance and my legacy.

Tun'ada landed neatly on the alcove without touching the water and began to approach the strongbox. He had just noted that a lot of mining equipment, including two old carts had also been stashed with the strongbox, when he heard cries of alarm from his companions as three walking corpses rose from the water's depths, their shrivelled arms swinging animated fists at him. These particular walking dead's flesh was clearly incredibly dry, even after having been submerged in water. Each of the thing's flesh was dotted with various holes and gaps, from which flowed minute amounts of salt; which also covered their skin, especially their eyeless faces.

The three undead used little tactics, each coming at Tun'ada head on so that he faced the three of them all together. The cat-like reflexes of his new form were not quite enough to spare him a single, glancing blow to the muscle of his right arm's biceps.

Hit: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Damage: 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

Miss: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Miss: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Tun'ada:

As you recover from the initial blow, you feel as though the glancing blow somehow drained some of the moisture from your body...

Fort save please.

Fzumi Salt Mine Undead Attack

Round 1 (Surprise Round already described)-

Ordered Initiative-

Group Init:

Undead- 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Chi- 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
Marcus 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Tun'ada- 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (20) + 4 = 24
Ambroze- 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Willow- 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21 (+2 in jungle)
Tsura- 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Tsura- 24
Tun'ada- 24
Ambroze- 21
Willow- 21
Undead- 13
Marcus- 12
Chi- 5

Active Effects-

Bulls Strength on Tun'ada and Marcus.

Enough illumination that i'm content to say the combat is in normal light.

Map-

I'd rather not have to make a map for this combat. Please ask any questions you need to to understand distances etc. Your all up on a walkway ten feet above and about 20 feet from Tun'ada on the alcove below. The rest of the surface below is water; large enough for these humanoid-shaped undead to have emerged from a face-down position; you can ascertain the water is probably a foot or two deep and will be difficult terrain.

Notes-

Tun'ads is in melee with all three undead.

Knowledge (Religion) is the appropriate check.

Action-

Is anyone willing to bot Tsura? So far from her spells i've cast both Bulls Strength. I'll take her action this round...

Tsura extended her hand and confidently touched Marcus' shoulder, infusing him with a little more confidence in his shot now that her deity was helping to guide his aim.

Cast Guidance on Marcus.

Kno (Religion) for Tsura: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Fortitude Save: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16

Tun'ada winces from the desicating grasp of the creature before entering his familiar feral rage, tearing and biting at the undead monstrosity...

Right Claw: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19
Damage: 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

Left Claw: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (2) + 12 = 14
Damage: 1d6 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Bite: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16
Damage: 1d4 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Hmm...seems like Khalid's dice have made their way over to Tun'ada this morning.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

Round One:

Ambroze studies the strangely dry undead in order to advise his companions as to the best methods for battling such creatures, even as he reaches into his magical pack to retrieve his already-loaded crossbow.

Knowledge (religion) check: Taking 10 via Lore Master ability for total check of 19.

If Knowledge check is sufficient, Ambroze spends his standard action to activate Bardic Performance (Naturalist) to grant all allies within 30 ft a +2 insight bonus to AC and attack rolls and saving throws against exceptional, supernatural, and spell-like abilities of the undead creatures. Move action to retrieve loaded light crossbow from handy haversack.

Rounds of Bardic Performance used today: 1/21


Your Humble Narrator

To be clear Tun'ada, your fighting three of them ;).

The lean Caldaru's claws and teeth tore into one of the undead before him even as Ambroze began to call out advice for fighting them. Tun'ada's right claw and teeth near tore-off one of the undead's arms, although it seemed to have little effect on its ability to keep trying to pummel him with the other.

Ambroze recognised the undead as Wights- dangerous and intelligent walking corpses that could increase in number by slaying other humanoids. Although there are various kinds of Wights all over Golarion, he was able to identify these as Salt Wights; Wights created in particularly dry deserts or in the desiccating confines of salt mines sometimes become shriveled, emaciated undead encrusted with salt crystals. They are considered a little less dangerous than the usual variety as their blows merely drained the water from a stricken foe, rather than their very life-force. He recalled that a traditional Raise Dead spell could be used to instantly slay such a creature with no hope of its survival.

Willow is up.


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th
Chi T'reignial wrote:
Chi keeps a look out over the water, her bow ready to protect Tun'ada. She whispers to Willow, "Tun'ada is brave, if a little foolhardy. But then we would all used our skills to help our friends, remember that Willow."

Willow nods, understanding this. Before she is able to reply, however, the undead appear and she hurls a bolt of flame from her hands at one of the undead, hoping it isn't too near Tun'ada to risk harming him.

ranged touch: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

damage: 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

-4 to hit without point blank shot, they are medium sized and in melee


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

If you're waiting on me, I was going to post after the undead had their turn, cos I think I'm after them.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

DM to update Deevor.


Your Humble Narrator

I'm just in an exam period so i'm a bit slow again. We're waiting on me. Update later today.

1,101 to 1,150 of 1,199 << first < prev | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Alexander Kilcoynes Serpents Skull PbP- Chapter 2, Racing to Ruin All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.