Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Alexander Kilcoynes Serpents Skull PbP- Chapter 2, Racing to Ruin (Inactive)

Game Master Alexander Kilcoyne

"I might toss her back into the sea for good measure"

Nkechi "The Tempest", speaking about Willow Whisperwood.


851 to 900 of 1,199 << first < prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | next > last >>

Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Just curious, Alex, how would you adjudicate casting while prone? I cannot find an official rule.


Your Humble Narrator

It actually works fine and you won't provoke an AOO as you'll be effectively one square "lower". Of course it could be considered a perilous position to be in afterwards :).


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Then would you consider a retcon? [cheesygrin] I would still cast obscuring mist, but drop prone rather than cast defensively.


Your Humble Narrator

I know you were posting from class so ok, we haven't moved past your initiative yet so its fine and not quite a retcon yet.

Tsura fell to the ground in an effort to evade the bite of the sea drake above and called forth a dense mist that completely obscured herself, the drake, the elemental, Willow and Chi from view. Tsura could only see mist around her while Chi and Willow were on the edge of the mist and could make out the edge where they could step out.

Tun'ada, revise your action please as you now have no LOS to the drake.


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Keep the same roll, ready to fire at the drake as soon as I have LOS.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

Since dropping prone is a free action, Tsura still has a move action after she casts her spell.


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Unfortunately, crawling provokes an AoO. I think I'm safer staying put.


Your Humble Narrator

Only provokes AOO if it can see you. You can't see it and it can't see you, vision limited to 5 feet in vapour.


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Then move 30 feet north.


Your Humble Narrator

Crawling is quarter speed and you only have a move action, so that'll be five feet of crawling for you (7.5 rounded down).

Attack of the Sea Drake!

Round 3-

Marcus- 24
Ambroze- 22
Sea Drake- 19
Willow- 11
Chi- 9
Tsura- 7

Readied Action- Tun'ada

Active Effects-

Naturalist on anyone within 30 foot of Ambroze- granting all allies within 30 ft a +1 insight bonus to AC, attack rolls, and saving throws against the sea drake.

Evil Eye on Sea Drake, giving a -2 penalty on attack rolls until round 9 and -2 on AC until round 10.

Map-

Link

Notes-

There are large boulders haphazardly scattered around which could potentially be used for cover (whether to take cover or make stealth checks).

Light level is normal- despite the rain there is enough sunlight to see ok.

Sea Drake has 10 foot reach.

Action-

Something very strange seems to be going on with the vapours Tsura seems to have called into existence with her conjuration spell... It seems to be shifting to the south-west somewhat...

Knowledge Nature DC16, Willow gets a +4 bonus to this check:

The speed of the whirlwind the air elemental has become is more than sufficient to disperse the entire obscuring mist effect in mere moments- it is unlikely to persist beyond a single round.

Marcus and Ambroze are up.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Marcus sheathes his sword and retrieves a potion of enlarge person.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

DC 16 Knowledge (Nature) check: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28

Round Three:

"Willow! Your elemental will disperse Tsura's spell in a couple of seconds!" Ambroze shouts to the obscured druid.

The gnome scholar continues to offer words of encouragement to his companions as he rushes to Marcus' side and casts a curative spell on the fighter.

Free action to maintain Bardic Performance (Naturalist), granting all allies within 30 ft a +1 insight bonus to AC, attack rolls, and saving throws against the sea drake. Move action 20 ft to square B,4. Standard action to cast Cure Light Wounds on Marcus.

Cure Light Wounds (Marcus): 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Rounds of Bardic Performance used today: 3/19

Ambroze's AC: 19 (w/naturalist)
Ambroze's HP: 29/33


Your Humble Narrator

DM ONLY:

1d20 + 12 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 12 - 2 = 30
1d8 + 6 + 1d6 ⇒ (1) + 6 + (2) = 9
1d100 ⇒ 21

1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (18) + 7 - 2 = 23
1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10
1d100 ⇒ 21

Deep inside the mist, things are surely happening... But the sea drake does not emerge.

Willow, Chi and Tsura are up.

Note- Tsura is deep inside the mist. Chi and Willow are on its edge on two different sides and can move out of it with a 5 foot step if they wish.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Chi knows that inside the mist, the creature is just as lost as she is, she laughs a strange haunting laugh, and then utters words of arcane protection. Hoping that the mists will drive the drake away, or allow her friends time to regroup.

Move: Cackle to extend hexes by 1 round, Std: Cast Mage Armor on self, AC=18.


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Tsura is desperate to get away from the sea drake, standing and stumbling through the fog to get to safety.

Double move action to stand and move 30 feet north.


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th

Knowledge Nature DC 16 1d20 + 9 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 9 + 4 = 17

Willow hearing this looks up to the mist.

Auran:

"End the whirlwind, it will disperse the mist."

The Whirlwind disperses and the mist does not appear to shift from it's current location.

Edit: Willow will take a step out of the obscuring mist and search around the ouside for Tun'ada.


Your Humble Narrator

Sorry to overrule you but you have no idea if the whirlwind disperses as no one has line of sight on it ;). Tun'ada is to the north, in the same position as the last map update. You taking any further actions?


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th
DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:
Sorry to overrule you but you have no idea if the whirlwind disperses as no one has line of sight on it ;). Tun'ada is to the north, in the same position as the last map update. You taking any further actions?

nope. I'll head to Ambroze instead and support him with the spell casting, in case that drake emerges again.


Your Humble Narrator

Tsura and Willow both emerged from the mist and inside, Chi could be heard cackling in a sinister manner, the magical laughter extending the curses she inflicted on the drake.

Attack of the Sea Drake!

Round 4-

Marcus- 24
Ambroze- 22
Sea Drake- 19
Willow- 11
Chi- 9
Tsura- 7

Readied Action- Tun'ada

Active Effects-

Naturalist on anyone within 30 foot of Ambroze- granting all allies within 30 ft a +1 insight bonus to AC, attack rolls, and saving throws against the sea drake.

Evil Eye on Sea Drake, giving a -2 penalty on attack rolls until round 10 and -2 on AC until round 11.

Map-

Link

Notes-

There are large boulders haphazardly scattered around which could potentially be used for cover (whether to take cover or make stealth checks).

Light level is normal- despite the rain there is enough sunlight to see ok.

Sea Drake has 10 foot reach.

Action-

Chi:

Just a reminder- your on the edge of the mist and can see the edge within 5 feet of you if you wanted to exit it.

Marcus and Ambroze are up.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Marcus drinks his potion of enlarge person, doubling in height and drawing his sword.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

Round Four:

Ambroze continues to describe the strengths and weaknesses of sea drakes as he scurries over to Tun'ada and casts a curative spell on the Mwangi tribesman.

Free action to maintain Bardic Performance (Naturalist), granting all allies within 30 ft a +1 insight bonus to AC, attack rolls, and saving throws against the sea drake. Move action 20 ft to square D,8. Standard action to cast Cure Light Wounds on Tun'ada.

Cure Light Wounds (Tun'ada): 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Rounds of Bardic Performance used today: 4/19

Ambroze's AC: 19 (w/naturalist); Mirror Image with 4 images
Ambroze's HP: 29/33


Your Humble Narrator

DM Only:

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (18) + 10 = 28

The sea drake does not emerge from the mist as the seconds go by...


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

Free Action:

"It's probably waiting for its lightning breath to recharge!" Ambroze warns. "Spread out!"


Your Humble Narrator

Willow, Chi and Tsura are up.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

A haunting laugh mingles with he mist, its source like the mist obscured, seemingly from everywhere and nowhere at the same time. She peers into the mists looking for the large flying beast, her blackend eye waiting to assail it once more.

cackle and ready evil eye - 2 on saves... etc...


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th

Willow takes the advice and moves to the east (C2) and leaning against the rock, waiting for the creature to emerge.

Delay until the creature shows itself.


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Tsura continues to stumble away from the seadrake. (10 feet north) She clutches her holy symbol, sending another cascade of white energy washing over her companions.

Channel Energy 2d6 ⇒ (2, 4) = 6


Your Humble Narrator

Everyone who was healed, please keep HP up to date. Everyone was hit by that channel except Chi and (you presume) the Sea Drake.

Attack of the Sea Drake!

Round 5-

Marcus- 24
Ambroze- 22
Sea Drake- 19
Willow- 11
Tsura- 7

Readied Action- Tun'ada
Readied Action- Chi

Chi, worth pointing out you have almost 0 line of sight within the mist. You can only see squares within 5 feet of you so your ready is unlikely to trigger unless the sea drake comes a-calling...

Active Effects-

Naturalist on anyone within 30 foot of Ambroze- granting all allies within 30 ft a +1 insight bonus to AC, attack rolls, and saving throws against the sea drake.

Evil Eye on Sea Drake, giving a -2 penalty on attack rolls until round 11 and -2 on AC until round 12.

Map-

Link

Notes-

There are large boulders haphazardly scattered around which could potentially be used for cover (whether to take cover or make stealth checks).

Light level is normal- despite the rain there is enough sunlight to see ok.

Sea Drake has 10 foot reach.

Action-

Marcus and Ambroze are up.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Marcus moves toward the cloud and readies his sword.

Spread out behind Tun'ada and I!

Move to E,D,4,5 and ready an attack. Note I'm enlarged.


Your Humble Narrator

Noted, i'll correct it in next map update.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

DM AK: Please note that Ambroze moved to square D,8 in Round Four to cast CLW on Tun'ada.

Round Five:

Still holding his flask of alchemist's fire, Ambroze heeds Marcus' call and backs up 20 feet while stowing his wand in his magical haversack. The gnome scholar continues to lecture about the behaviors and mannerisms of sea drakes, noting how some specimens are known to exhibit streaks of cunning by hiding from their prey while their breath weapons recharge.

Free action to maintain Bardic Performance (Naturalist), granting all allies within 30 ft a +1 insight bonus to AC, attack rolls, and saving throws against the sea drake. Move action 20 ft back to square -A,8. Second move action to store Wand of Mirror Image in handy haversack.

Rounds of Bardic Performance used today: 5/19

Ambroze's AC: 19 (w/naturalist); Mirror Image w/4 images
Ambroze's HP: 33/33


Your Humble Narrator

DM Only:

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (5) + 10 = 15
2d6 ⇒ (1, 5) = 6

The sea drake still did not emerge from the mist, but a single, loud THUD was clearly heard from inside it...

Perception DC20 (Modify your check for distance from the mist please):

Your pretty sure you heard the sound of flapping wings for a few moments, but the sound stopped as soon as you heard the thud...

Willow and Tsura are up although Tun'ada and Chi are free to come off their readied actions when desired.


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Perception:1d20 + 11 ⇒ (16) + 11 = 27


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

"It has landed. Marcus now might be our chance." the tribesman says dropping his bow and retrieving his terbutje.

Ready standard action to attack vs. enemy in range.


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Taking advantage of the short respite, Tsura takes a few cautious steps backward and channels again to heal the party.

5-foot-step north, Channel Energy 2d6 ⇒ (3, 4) = 7


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

I'd feel better if I can see it. The mercenary says uneasily.


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th

Yup, still delaying until this ugly beast shows it's head.


Your Humble Narrator

Attack of the Sea Drake!

Round 6-

Ambroze- 22
Sea Drake- 19
Tsura- 7

Delay- Willow
Readied Action- Marcus
Readied Action- Tun'ada
Readied Action- Chi

Active Effects-

Naturalist on anyone within 30 foot of Ambroze- granting all allies within 30 ft a +1 insight bonus to AC, attack rolls, and saving throws against the sea drake.

Evil Eye on Sea Drake, giving a -2 penalty on attack rolls until round 12 and -2 on AC until round 13 (Chi's cackle this round assumed).

Map-

Link

Notes-

There are large boulders haphazardly scattered around which could potentially be used for cover (whether to take cover or make stealth checks).

Light level is normal- despite the rain there is enough sunlight to see ok.

Sea Drake has 10 foot reach.

Action-

Many of the group remained poised and ready to strike should the sea drake emerge, while Chi's cackling laughter remained the only sound within the mist...

Ambroze is up...


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

Round Six:

As Ambroze continues to offer advice to his friends he calls out

in Celestial:
"It may be waiting for me to stop providing you all with guidance. Scatter for cover and maybe we can surprise it when it finally comes out!"
The gnome scholar then scrambles behind a boulder for cover as he retrieves his loaded crossbow from his magical haversack.

Free action to maintain Bardic Performance (Naturalist), granting all allies within 30 ft a +1 insight bonus to AC, attack rolls, and saving throws against the sea drake. Move action 15 ft back to square -C,8. Second move action to retrieve loaded crossbow from handy haversack - Ambroze now has a crossbow in one hand and a flask of alchemists fire in the other hand.

Rounds of Bardic Performance used today: 6/19

Ambroze's AC: 19 (w/naturalist); Mirror Image w/4 images
Ambroze's HP: 33/33


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Hearing the sea drake land, Chi draws her dagger and moves within the mist towards the beast drawing her dagger as she goes. Hoping to get behind the beast and attract its attention whilst her friends prepare themselves. Stopping her cackling she seems to meld into the mist, as it dampens her footfalls, her very presence closing in, trying to avoid contact with the grounded monster.

Perception 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (11) + 14 = 25
Stealth 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (5) + 14 = 19
Moves to K,7 via K,10


Your Humble Narrator

Chi Only:

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23

You sneak through the mist and get to K9 before suddenly encountering the sea drake in J8 and K8... Not only does its serpentile head turn and spot you within the mist, but your pretty sure it can also smell you, judging from its flaring nostrils...

Its actually lying down, as though it just fell from the skies. (Prone).

Movement without acrobatics check will provoke AOO although you still benefit from concealment. You still have a standard action left I believe.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

DM AK:

Acrobatics 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Oh dear .... as she tries to move around the beast, (not over it)


Your Humble Narrator

Chi:

Where to?


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27
DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:
** spoiler omitted **

DM AK:

To K,10 if possible, Chi is trying to get into a flanking type position. She knows roughly where her friends went before the thing landed, so I leave it to you AK to put her in a position if K,10 is unacceptable.


Your Humble Narrator

Chi Only:

1d100 ⇒ 47 81-100 miss due to concealment

1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13

The teeth of the vicious sea drake are barely held at bay as you hastily back away from it.

Perhaps too cunning to head north towards where it last knew your allies were, you quickly lose track of it in the mist as it moves west...

Your in K10 as specified.

The sea drake emerges from the mist on the west side, to the dismay of Marcus and Tun'ada who were waiting on the north. Although Tun'ada could not see the drake emerge, it loudly announced its presence after shambling out of the mist somewhat clumsily- by emanating a powerful draconic roar, complete with a ball of lightning that hurtled to strike Marcus and then split to strike Willow and Tun'ada...

6d6 ⇒ (5, 6, 5, 5, 1, 2) = 24 Damage, Reflex DC17 for half. Willow has a +2 cover bonus on this save and none of the three of you have a +1 bonus from Ambroze's advice (all out of range). Marcus has a -1 penalty from his enlarged size.

Willow, Marcus, Tun'ada and Tsura are up to finish the round. Map- Link


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Reflex 1d20 + 4 - 1 ⇒ (19) + 4 - 1 = 22

HP:30/42

Marcus weathers the bolt better this time but still grimaces from the pain of the blast, he moves forward to engage the drake but can't get his blade through its scales to land a damaging blow.

Falcata 1d20 + 13 - 2 - 1 ⇒ (6) + 13 - 2 - 1 = 16 (power attack, enlarged)
2d6 + 12 ⇒ (6, 1) + 12 = 19

No map access at the moment can you move me up please.


Your Humble Narrator

The strength bonus you get offsets the to-hit penalty, did you figure that into your to hit? Roll is within a single point of its AC thanks to Evil Eye.


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th

Reflex: 1d20 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 4 + 2 = 23

Willow begins summoning once again, spending her time in an attempt to summon a creature of nature.


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Reflex Save:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17

Tunada growls from pain as the lightning rolls over his body. Seeing Marcus move forward, the tribesman moves in the same direction in hopes of attacking the drake. Coming around the corner of the mist he sees the akwardly moving drake and moves in to make his strike.

Move to (H,4), using acrobatics to try and avoid the AoO. Once in position, enter rage and take a two-handed swing with the terbutje

Acrobatics:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10
Attack:1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14
Damage:1d8 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16


Your Humble Narrator

Just Tsura left to act. No AOO on Tun'ada, will wrap up all the actions in one description.

851 to 900 of 1,199 << first < prev | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Alexander Kilcoynes Serpents Skull PbP- Chapter 2, Racing to Ruin All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.