Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Alexander Kilcoynes Serpents Skull PbP- Chapter 2, Racing to Ruin (Inactive)

Game Master Alexander Kilcoyne

"I might toss her back into the sea for good measure"

Nkechi "The Tempest", speaking about Willow Whisperwood.


701 to 750 of 1,199 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>

Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

"Well before we start throwing ourselves off this ridge into the sea for these black pearls, perhaps Ambroze might know a thing or two about them. I've heard of them, but what was it?"

Knowledge(nature) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12
anyone else got knowledge nature?


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th

Knowledge Nature:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (8) + 9 = 17

forgot about knowledge check lol


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

OK lets find a decent place to prepare. Another day isn't going to make much difference with the caravan still getting ready to depart.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

"Hmmm... Let me think a minute and see if I can remember anything about these black pearls..."

Can I take 10 on a Knowledge (nature) check? If so, that yields a result of 21. If not: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12 - yikes!


Your Humble Narrator

No taking 10 on Knowledge checks unless you have a specific ability to do so. Willow's check is sufficient for some helpful information, will update later today.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

"If we are to rest before we take on these 'tests' we'd best climb up and make camp. And let us remember that we have 2 tests, we must save some resources to pass the 'wind' test."

Climb taking a 10 gives a total of 11.


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th
DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:
No taking 10 on Knowledge checks unless you have a specific ability to do so. Willow's check is sufficient for some helpful information, will update later today.

yay I helped. That dump stat in Cha making Willow somewhat unlikable paid off lol. Mostly cause I didn't want her a idiot, though being unpleasent to the first people she meets without meaning to can sometimes be funny.


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Yeah, but see what happens when you try to be smart and pleasant? You can't swim worth a darn. Even with no armor penalty! :)


Your Humble Narrator

The group easily ascended the rope DC5, assumes take 10's from everyone and found themselves atop the mighty cliff, looking down from the dizzying height at the water below in which Willow and Tsura almost drowned.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Chi aware that they are now unprotected and needing to rest, looks at her companions, especially those who joined recently, worry lines across her brow. If they couldn't even handle getting onshore against those crabs, will they really be useful or just a hindrance on this forthcoming expedition? Despite her concerns, she thinks of their current situation, leaving her friends to tend to the activities, "Fresh rabbit or deer anyone? I'll be back soon, perhaps you can find a good camp site for the night? then I'll cook up something tasty."

Survival 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20 to find food.
Profession(Cook) 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18

We need a watch order for the night. any with darkvision?


Your Humble Narrator

Willow:

Black Pearls are found on pearl dives along with the more mundane white pearls- but are much, much rarer. Pearl diving for either involves finding a suitable reef with an oyster bed- and even then, the coral can be sharp and painful and a diver must pluck pearls carefully. The slow but deceptively strong currents such reefs are subject to can be dangerous and can drag a person out to sea to drown.

Successful pearl divers are strong swimmers with keen eyes- and to find a black pearl, one must also be patient.

Certain aquatic diseases can also be contracted from the sharp coral.

So, resting near the cliff then, for my clarity? Watch order would also be nice but don't be too long discussing it, make a proposal and yay/nay it.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Marcus, Willow, Tsura, Chi, Ambroze - normal, half, dark, half, half is my idea of a reasonable watch order.


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2
Chi T'reignial wrote:
Marcus, Willow, Tsura, Chi, Ambroze - normal, half, dark, half, half is my idea of a reasonable watch order.

cool, I don't have to take a watch. ;) Honestly, Tun'ada will take what ever shift, it doesn't really matter to me.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27
Tun'ada wrote:
Chi T'reignial wrote:
Marcus, Willow, Tsura, Chi, Ambroze - normal, half, dark, half, half is my idea of a reasonable watch order.
cool, I don't have to take a watch. ;) Honestly, Tun'ada will take what ever shift, it doesn't really matter to me.

Oops, sorry Tun'ada I thought I'd missed someone ... I think you should go after Ambroze, in the morning shift...


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Assume the spellcasters "bookend" as much as possible to avoid disruption but I'm fine with whatever.


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th

"These black pearls we're after are far more rare than white pearls. Be careful, the coral can be sharp and painful so everyone who dives I suggest you are careful when plucking pearls. The currents will be dangerous enough to down anyone so I suggest we send the best swimmers with the keenest eyes and patience. I'm afraid you can contract certain disease from the sharp coral." Willow explains as she thinks about the pearls and she rolls her eyes at this. "Perhaps we should just get a white pearl and colour is black. I'm sure the old coot wouldn't not the difference."


Your Humble Narrator

DM Only:

1d100 ⇒ 16

1d100 ⇒ 18

The night passed without incident as the group slept to the somewhat soothing sound of waves crashing below.

Day 10 of Expedition Preparation-

Over to you. Spell preparation I assume, please let me know when your ready to continue.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

Ambroze awakens refreshed and ready to tackle the Tempest's challenges.

Ambroze is ready to go!


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2
Chi T'reignial wrote:
Marcus, Willow, Tsura, Chi, Ambroze - normal, half, dark, half, half is my idea of a reasonable watch order.

Sounds fine to me.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Chi looks with dismay at Willow's suggestion, "He may not be a friend or clever, but we want him to help us long term on the journey, he's sure to see through an illusory trick eventually. When he does, he'll not trust us again and probably stop aiding our mission. That is not an option." She continues to cook the breakfast, discussing plans to complete the task to find the black pearl.

"I can summon creatures, but none that can help for long, or would be much help. Can anyone else summon creatures that would help? I believe casters more powerful than I, might summon Merfolk, huaniod creatures of the sea?" she looks around for an answer, munching some nuts and berries, the black red juice dribbles down from the side of her mouth, before being wiped away.


Your Humble Narrator

As summons are round/level, their assistance would be very limited in a pearl dive.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Spell slots are limited and not everyone is a great swimmer. Propose maybe Marcus and Tun'ada get touch of the seaed and swim with Chi with her ring, maybe Willow also with the others providing spell support from shore? Bulls strength would be helpful for the fighters as it aids strength and swim. Maybe some other min/level. May be too short but anything shorter definately will be.

Marcus snorts, taking of his armour and coat.

He's a priest of Grozreh right? Theres got to be a good chance he would see through any deception and that would end any chance of help before it starts. Its clear you don't like him Willow but think of the group.

He lays his falcatta carefully aside. I really need something I can stab with, he muses.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

"And maybe we'll have some rope, so we can be pulled back to the surface and help us against the tide. alternatively we could harvest the oysters put them in a bag and the bag be pulled to the surface where we can check the contents at our leisure?" she muses as she picks at nuts stuck in her teeth. "Yes I think Tun'ada would be a good choice to swim, with one other to look out for him. I dare say the pearls will be guarded by those damn crabs, so Marcus will be needed for protection too." She drinks some bitter juice from the yellow fruits taken from some nearby trees. With sticky hands she passes Marcus a dagger, "Here this may be what you want."


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

"I can cast my spells of heroism on Tun'ada and Marcus - they would last about forty minutes," Ambroze offers.

"I have this wickedly sharp dagger we recovered from one of the shipwrecks on the Shiv. I've been using it as a shortsword, but either one of you is welcome to use it if you need a stabbing weapon," he adds.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

Too bad the Mount spell can't summon an aquatic creature.


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Tun'ada grins, "Perhaps Marcus would be interested in the dagger, I have all I need here." he says displaying his claws.


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

"I can prepare bull's strength to increase your speed and stamina underwater. It would require resting for the night before any attempt, however."


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

"So cat, we shall need to prepare two or more enlarge spells, and we'll stay dry, let the boys go down." she smiles at Marcus and Tun'ada as she sips more of her bitter drink. "Unfortunately you will only be super men for a couple of minutes, so we will have to be circumspect in our use of the spell. Find the area of the pearls and then use it only when needed." She whistles a merry tune as they discuss the problem further.

"So Willow, other than painting the pearls black, is there anything you can add to help, or spells you might reserve for the wind test? You have an affinity with nature don't you?"


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Its morning as per DM post above.


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th

"I can grant anyone who wishes to swim the ability to swim like any creature of the water. With the spell they grow webbing between the fingers and their feet into fins along with the ability to swim fast." she thinks for a moment then snaps her fingers. "I can also manipulate a wave of water around those who wish to swim so that they can glide through the water even faster when used with the first spell. I only have enough power to use both spells on three people. I know how important it is for us to complete this task and those pearls are rare so any help I can give I hope to benefit the group in getting us the guide."

For DM and player reference the spells are Touch of the Sea and Slipstream


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Hmm... just how early in the morning is it? I'm assuming that Tsura would set her spells as soon as she rises, but I'm not that familiar with Desna to know if she does things differently.


Your Humble Narrator

Early morning like most other clerics. I've essentially narrated up to spell preparation time and we're waiting on Willow and Tsura's full spell prep. Let me know when done.


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2


Anything besides bull's strength, guys?

0 (DC 14): create water, guidance, purify food and drink, spark
1 (DC 15): bless (2), command, obscuring mist, true strike
2 (DC 16): bull's strength (2), aid


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

I'd hold some spells we'd find useful for task 2. I assume we will need to do the air/wind challenge the same day we do the water challenge.

0 (DC14): Dancing Lights, Daze, Detect Poison, Message
1 (DC15): Mage Armor, Enlarge Person x2, Ray of Enfeeblement


Your Humble Narrator

That is indeed an assumption. Willow, spell prep complete?


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th

lol, sorry I was going to post it but forgot it. I have it on herolab. D for Domain spells.

2 (3/day) Slipstream (x3), Fog CloudD
1 (5/day) Touch of the Sea (x3), Magic Fang, Obscuring MistD, Ant Haul (already cast)
0 (at will) Stabilize, Read Magic, Purify Food and Drink, Detect Magic

it came down to, do I want to keep produce flame or instead prepare magic fang for Tun'ada


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

So... Marcus and Tun'ada going (Marcus with ring). Spells on each just before: Touch of Sea, Slipstream, Bullstrength, Heroism. A Mage Armor on Marcus? Magic fang on Tun'ada seems a lot better than produce fire given the task. Can we confirm and proceed? Depending on how we go and what the next test is we might want to rest again. Don't like the ten minute day but we're not apparently under time pressure and we don't want to stuff things up.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

Works for me. Assume Ambroze casts Heroism on Marcus and Tun'ada at the appropriate time.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

As Marcus gets ready for the 'swim', Chi cackles and seeing his muscled body, her hand runs down his chest as she adds magical protection to his body. "Do we have any vials of antitoxin, to aid their fight against any poisonous creatures they may come across underwater. I have one vial, if needs be."


Your Humble Narrator

I think you need to hold your horses group, I was just waiting for spell prep so I could update you heading north like the Tempest asked.

Day 10 of Expedition Preparation-

1d100 ⇒ 28

1d100 ⇒ 76

The group spent a few hours heading north until they came across the crags by the cape the Tempest had mentioned. As you approach the crags, the group's keen eyes noted a small village of indigenous Zenj, a little more than a stone's throw from the crags themselves.

Knowledge Local DC14 or Nature DC18:

You suspect the placement of the village is no accident. Many small villages like get most of their coin and goods from pearl diving on the coast, trading pearls for food and other needs.

Considering the oyster beds and reefs are usually a small distance from the shore itself (60-100 feet), it might be worth bartering for a boat; the alternative would be for everyone to swim out above the oyster beds and tread water while the dives took place.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

OOOps sorry AK ...
Knowledge(nature) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21

Chi turns to her friends, "Oooh look, now that's a bit of a surprise. I'd thought the 'Tempest's pearl beds would have been more secluded than this. The Zenj look all set to make a profit from these pearls, but on the bright side we should be able to hire a boat and make getting to the beds easier. Are we ready to go down and barter a deal, I'm sure we'll have to 'pay a tax ' for the privilege of recovering pearls." She smiles at her friends, making ready to move down into the village.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Marcus sighs.

OK lets go down.


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

"This reminds me of a strange little farm set up just outside of Magnimar. They advertise in local broadsheets, saying that townsfolk may come to their farm, pick their own produce, then pay the farmer for the privilege! I thought it was insane, but now I suppose it's catching on."


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Chi moves off to the side of the rest of her friends, as she uses the natural features of the coastal landscape to quietly disappear. As she does she winks at Marcus, "Shhhh"

Stealth 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (4) + 14 = 18


Your Humble Narrator

The group made their way into the small village, to the curious glances of Zenj townspeople. A large, barrel-chested Zenj man moved to meet you as you walked between the simple houses and said in Polyglot-

How can we help you, travellers?


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Tsura smiles her most welcoming smile. "I certainly hope you can, whilst also hoping that our business is as trifling and inconsequential as possible to your daily routine." She gives a small flourishing bow. "We have been sent by the Tempest to retrieve a black pearl from this area. Perhaps you know the Tempest? Reclusive fellow, wise with a charming crankiness?"


Your Humble Narrator

The Zenj fixed Tsura with a heavy frown.

Are you mocking the great Tempest of the Pallid Bluffs? he asked, his tone grave.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Chi keeps discreetly hidden in the shadows.


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Tun'ada jumps in, attempting smooth over the situation...

Polyglot:
"No, no, my friend. She does not mean any offense, she is simply unfamiliar with the area and is not aware of what he means to the region. " continuing on with a grin, "You must admit, the Tempest can be a bit rough on those he does not know."

This should be funny. Diplomacy:1d20 + 0 ⇒ (4) + 0 = 4


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Certainly not. Marcus looks pointedly at Tsura and Willow.

Tempest has asked us to carry out a task for him. Praise Gozreh.

To recover a black pearl for him. We would like to ask for assistance. To rent a boad and perhaps a guide. We have coin of course.

Marcus looks to see if one of the more diplomatically minded members of the party will take over.

701 to 750 of 1,199 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Alexander Kilcoynes Serpents Skull PbP- Chapter 2, Racing to Ruin All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.