Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Alexander Kilcoynes Serpents Skull PbP- Chapter 2, Racing to Ruin (Inactive)

Game Master Alexander Kilcoyne

"I might toss her back into the sea for good measure"

Nkechi "The Tempest", speaking about Willow Whisperwood.


551 to 600 of 1,199 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>

Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Flextime

Tun'ada, Chi, Ambroze:

Marcus looks uncomfortable.

Um ... yeah. Look I know that. You guys know I wouldn't let any conflict put you in danger right?

We can't trust the Mantis either. But it does seem like their interests here are pretty straight forward. They want their temple and they can have it.

Ah optimism.


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Flextime

Tsura smiles and nods to Marcus.

Celestial:
That I do, good sir. How did you come upon such a talent?

At Breakfast

Tsura nods affirmatively in between bites. "That I am. I have been a cleric of Desna for most of my life. I suppose you could say I was born to be a priestess. Not to be too lewd, but when I was born I came out of my mother bearing several tattoos and markings - variations of holy symbols of Desna, eldritch symbols, and the like. It wasn't until about a year ago that I found that I have an inborn talent for sorcery in addition to the powers bestowed by my patron deity. Right now I'm a bit torn as to how to continue building my strengths, but I have found that they can combine rather well."

She takes a drink of juice. "Oh, I almost forgot. If you all don't mind, there is a special prayer of Desna that I can perform to bind us together as companions. It would allow me to share my clerical boons with you. Would this... be agreeable?" She looks around the table for confirmation.

This would be the Caravan Bond class ability under my profile.

Also, switched locate object for aid.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Flexitime

Tun'ada,Marcus,Ambroze:

"Both of you are right, the way these two seem to have slipped into our midst, at the behest of these pathfinders does seem very convienient and as such is suspicous. Can we conduct our own inquiries, or even use your friend Marcus to discover their backgrounds? For the Mantis must surely have their own network of intelligence. If these two are agents of the Pathfinders, then perhaps there will be evidence to be found." Chi looks at her friends, though wonders if she's overstepped the mark with Ambroze, after all he is a pathfinder in the making. Yet she is sure his tie to the group of survivors is stronger than his wish to become a pathfinder, after all they had the Shiv.

Refreshed after a full nights sleep, Chi is reserved at breakfast, watching how Marcus might look at the new women. Her face reddens as she remembers her recent curse. As the prayer washes over Chi, she feels no onslaught of magic, no sense of power, he bonds to her companions must be stronger than the magic. "Tsura, this god of yours, is he powerful? His power to heal was a boon last night, but what power does he really hold?" She puts both hands in her untidy and knotted hair, after she slept on it wet after her wash last night, yet it clearly doesn't help. Yet her eyes, never leave Tsura as she replies.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Flextime

Chi,Tun'ada, Ambroze:

I can try Chi. I guess I'm worried about us then owing some kind of debt or obligation to the Mantis. Marcus shivers visibly at the thought.

Look Glaur isn't stupid and neither are we. He knows we'll have issues with his people. He also knows that we'll need them and without Gwen we do. Its been a long time since I've had to think about this kind of stuff, Taldor is a long way way, but the most easily dealt with spy is the one you know about.

Ultimately we chose to go with the Pathfinders on the basis that their goals were the most compatible to our own. I suppose we have to trust our decision there. Tsura may report everything back to Glaur but then there will be another bunch of people in the caravan doing that anyway.

We just need to stick together and keep our eyes and ears open. Thats all I'm saying I suppose.

Marcus looks to see if Chi and Ambroze accept the prayer session before agreeing.

Afterwards he seems bemused. I don't feel any different.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

Flextime

Tun'ada, Marcus, Chi:
"I agree, we should be cautious. Until proven otherwise, I think it's safe to assume that Willow and Tsura's truy loyalties lie with the Pathfinders. But my main concern is: how do we know that a spy from one of the other organizations might not be within the midst of the Pathfinders? Maybe some of Master Glaur's paranoia is rubbing off on me, but as much as I wish to be a true Pathfinder someday I'm coming to realize that the only people I truly trust are you three."

At Breakfast

Tsura Vhiski wrote:
"Oh, I almost forgot. If you all don't mind, there is a special prayer of Desna that I can perform to bind us together as companions. It would allow me to share my clerical boons with you. Would this... be agreeable?" She looks around the table for confirmation.

"Ah, yes! The Caravan Bond! I'm familiar with that particular Varisian blessing. I traveled for several months with a Varisian caravan when I left my home in Sipplerose before I settled in Magnimar. Such a blessing would be most appreciated. Thank you!"


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Tsura smiles. "As you shouldn't, friend Marcus. I have simply opened a channel for future blessings from Desna. When I do so, my boons from her," she looks to Chi, "will instead be channeled to you. Desna is not a god of flashy works. She is a god of travel, mystery, luck and stars. She facilitates great deeds rather than committing them herself. Hopefully we will be able to accomplish much."

Tsura sighs and her smile falls. "Unfortunately, my last expedition did not fair as expected. We accompanied a Society archaeologist to find a ruined city. Specifically, some carved tablets. It was supposed to be a rather simple trip - the location was a well-known ruin and we were simply taking some charcoal rubbings of the carvings to make sure that transcribed copies had remained true to the original - when we were attacked by those... monkey demons. They ambushed us on our return trip. There were far too many to try to take a stand and our party scattered in panic. Most of the guards fell, as well as the archaeologist. Only myself and a few porters made it back to the city." Tsura shakes her head. "But enough of this, we will fare better."


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Chi, takes a pear and with her knife cuts the yellow skin to reveal the pearl white flesh, sweet and juicy within. Swiftly she eats it, with loud slurping noises as she sucks in the excess sweet liquor that drips from her lips. With the back of here hand, she wipes her chin and mouth, "There are some who see the future in the stars, let us hope that Desna keeps our fortune good. We have managed to rise to the challenges of the journey before, perhaps with your Desna's help our travels will be easier, though I doubt it." growls an unconvinced Chi from between her tight lips. "Still, if her power provides us with the health to continue our journeys, that will be sufficient." she continues noncommittally, turning her attention to some cooked meats and bread.

Flexitime

Tun'ada, Marcus, Ambroze:

"You are right, we must trust in the heat of the moment, yet watch carefully for signs at all other times. Let us hope that is enough. The Willow woman, though a half caste, did well against the Freemen. Let us hope our luck with these new partners continues in the same vein. But enough of this, I tire and need to meditate. In our combined strength, the three of us with the other two must meet what the future holds."


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Marcus listens closely to Tsura's tale.

A terrible situation. Well you will find Tsura that we do not scatter or leave each other, whatever the situation. I would die for any member of this group and I know they would do the same for me.

He reddens a little, perhaps at being so overtly pompous.

Well lets be about it then. We will find what we need at the docks I'm sure.

Unless someone has a better idea, Marcus will lead the group looking for a local fisherman or someone similar. Priorities are a large and decent enough quality boat and a pilot with local knowledge. He'll leave the haggling to Ambroze and Tsura.


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Sounds fine to me. Lead on, good captain.


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Tun'ada nods in agreement, ready to leave.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

"Lead on then Marcus, did Amivor recommend a boatsman to take us on our journey to meet with Nkechi the Tempest of Pallid Bluffs, or do we hire our own boat? Whichever, lets us make haste to the waters front and get going. After all the first sea journey we made together lasted longer than we'd have hoped for. " she chuckles at Ambroze, Tun'ada and Marcus, though the memory is painful.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Marcus smiles at Chi in return.

I think he left us to our own devices beyond suggesting that method. As for the journey, this time I intend to make some vigorous prayers to Gozreh before boarding.


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th

"Desna always sounded like a fun goddess. I'd often stare at the stars at night and wonder what makes them shine." she says simply as she gives a odd smile to Tsura. "I have heard of those born with tatoos and holding great power. Some are able to command the most powerful of spells, with little difficulty."

DM:

Was tempted for a laugh to drop a reference to Milo, but since you'd be the only one in the tread to get it I just stuck with hearing about different people who had that ability. It is rarther similar to Tsura's backstory with being born with the tatoos.


Your Humble Narrator

You set out to the docks which are, happily, not far at all from the Pathfinder Lodge. The docks district is rife with activity, including drunken rakes staggering out from wherever they ended up the night before, sailors anxiously trying to make it to their ship before they are late enough to qualify for a flogging, merchants selling wares from cramped stalls and simple city folk simply going about their day to day business. Despite the terror tactics used by the Freemen brotherhood yesterday, its clear that the effects have not truly been felt on the western edge of Eleder.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

A fisherman yet to put out seems like the best bet to me. We'll need to aim to get there when the tide is right.

Marcus stops.

This man is a hermit and we are trying to get on his good side. Maybe some gifts are in order? Some spirits maybe, things he can't get easily?

Lets make arrangements for the boat and then do some quick shopping.

Sound reasonable if we all kick in for say 50gp in buttering up gifts?


Your Humble Narrator

Knowledge (Local), Knowledge (Religion) and Knowledge (Nature) could all potentially help with determining what a suitable gift for a priest of Gozreh might be.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Knowledge(nature) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26 to suggest a gift

"Marcus, lets just find a captain and charter a boat it will be much easier to handle if the captain only has our passage to worry about. I think you're right about a present, but for someone not concerned with civilised life, perhaps a more natural present would appropriate?


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Knowledge (Nature):1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

"Chi, I do not believe it is a matter of chartering a boat and captain, more along the lines of us purchasing a small rowing boat or two and sticking to the coast."


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

Knowledge (Religion) to know what might be a good gift for a priest of Gozreh: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th

Knowledge (Religion) to find out a good gift: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 13

"A stick perhaps? A very good stick, maybe..." Willow seems to be at a loss for what kind of gift one of Gozreh would have.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

"You could be right Tun'ada, I'd just feel safer if there was someone who knew the waters with us, it's just the way I feel. If you think we'll be safe doing it ourselves then we'll do as you and Marcus suggest."


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

We'll need something small right enough to get in to shore. Lets see how much extra a pilot and maybe a few rowers is going to cost us. I'm sweating enough already in this heat.


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Knowledge (religion) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

"I think I might know..."


Your Humble Narrator

Chi and Tsura came to the same conclusion- although Gozreh was by nature a fickle and difficult to please deity which reflected in his clergy, something carved from driftwood would be a very appropriate gift. A statue or something that honoured nature or Gozreh herself would be most appropiate.

Yes, I used him and her interchangeably on purpose. Gozreh is referred as both him and her.

In a sea port like Eleder, you expect that it would not be unusual to find such an object if you were to ask around.


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

"I don't suppose anyone knows where to find a curio shop?" Tsura asks a nearby sailor or merchant if they know where to find such an item.


Your Humble Narrator

Gather Information checks please (function of diplomacy). The more successes I see within the group, the less time you'll use up.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Having given her friends an idea of the sort of present to get the recluse, Chi is taken to study some of the boats bobbing in the harbor. In her mind she relaxes, seeing the reds, greens and blues of the painted boats and the larger merchant vessels. She asks the occasional seaman if they know of a fellow seaman whose skills at whittling might have produced a suitable statue.

Diplomacy 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (2) - 1 = 1


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Tsura gives a smile and a wink to a knot of passing sailors. "Can any of you fine gentlemen tell me where a lady could find some driftwood sculpture? The nice stuff."

Diplomacy 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28


Your Humble Narrator

You spent less than an hour asking around and you were eventually pointed to a small stall at the far end of the docks. After some negotiation, you eventually walked away with a carefully crafted statue of Gozreh's male aspect- a colossal humanoid whose lower body trails away into a mass of wind and clouds. The statue cost you 40 gold pieces, as the artwork was frankly, exquisite.


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Tsura hefts the driftwood sculpture onto her shoulder. "Well, we need a boat now, don't we?"


Your Humble Narrator

Considering that Tsura's profile picture is in fact, from the Gozreh article in Serpents Skull, I think its highly appropriate she is carrying it :P. Who is marking off the 40GP?


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Tsura will pay for the statue, then ask for 6.66gp from each party member to evenly divide the cost.


Your Humble Narrator

I'm not certain Willow actually has a coin to her name.


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

That's fine. She can just pay me when she can.


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

6 gp, 6 sp, and 6 cp deducted from Tun'ada's totals


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th

don't think I want to embaress chi with any more diplomacy rolls lol


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

OK. Back to the dock.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27
Willow Whisperwood wrote:
don't think I want to embaress chi with any more diplomacy rolls lol

Chi smiles at Willow's reticence, but can't understand why!!!


Your Humble Narrator

Moving back to the dock, you eventually hired a small rowboat for 6 gold pieces to take you to the Pallid Bluffs. After they rowed you several miles, the small Zenj crew pointed out the cliff face you'll need to scale to reach the man known as the Tempest- at a staggering 300 feet high, it was a most intimidating sight...

You arrived at high tide, and the rowers begin to row you as far as the boat can be taken- the water is shallow but the waves are fierce. Jagged seaside cliffs of pale limestone tower over the rocky shore. Gulls weave overhead in the updraft, while from below rise the deafening echoes of the roiling surf as it beats against the rocks.

DM Only:

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

DC16- 1d3 ⇒ 1, 1d3 ⇒ 3, 1d3 ⇒ 2

R1, R4, R6

Group Perception:

Chi- 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (12) + 14 = 26 (+1 to find traps)
Marcus 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Tun'ada- 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (16) + 12 = 28
Ambroze- 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Willow- 1d20 + 14 ⇒ (2) + 14 = 16 (+2 in natural settings)
Tsura- 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

As one, you tumbled out of the rowboat onto the shallow shore, some twenty feet before the rock face. The boat could not get you any closer and the water appeared to be very shallow in the high tide, never more than three feet or so this close to the cliff, although your sure it got deeper rapidly further out. Only Ambroze finds the water level to be particularly high...

You had just got out of the boat when Chi, Tun'ada and Tsura all noticed two giant crabs as they scuttled towards you from the deeper water behind you, both about the size and weight of the average Dwarf...

The Pallid Bluffs

Round 0 (Surprise Round)-

Ordered Initiative-
Giant Crabs- 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Chi- 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
Marcus 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Tun'ada- 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Ambroze- 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Willow- 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Tsura- 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Tun'ada- 21
Ambroze (doesn't act this round)- 21
Marcus (doesn't act this round)- 16
Giant Crabs- 14
Willow (doesn't act this round)- 13
Tsura- 12
Chi- 6

Active Effects-

Map-

Link

Notes-

Pretty much every square is difficult terrain, except any square directly adjacent to the cliff face. Shallow (ish) water is separated from deep water by texture.

Tsura, I have a token made up for you but Maptools won't load it in for some reason, i'm short on time and wanted this update in before bed so i'll try and fix it tomorrow. You have another female token for now.

Action-

Tun'ada is up...


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Tun'ada growls as he moves in front of Tsura, retrieving his longspear along the way.

Begin Rage, Move to (H,10), and see if one of them will provoke an AoO during the surprise round


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Crabs... why does it always have to be crabs...


Your Humble Narrator

The giant crabs were not subtle hunters. They swam furiously at Tun'ada AOO on either one, your choice, for the purpose of writing your narrative your looking for AC18 and lunged at him through the water, deadly claws snapping. The pincer of one of the beasts settled on Tun'ada's armour and failed to find purchase but the other managed to get a firm grip on Tun'ada's arm- the crab scratched it badly and clung to it tenaciously, injuring the Caldaru further as its grip tightened...

Partial charge as per surprise round rules, +2 attack, -2 AC.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14 Miss

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28 Crit threat
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19 Crit confirmed!
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (15) + 10 = 25 Free grapple attempt (success)
2d4 + 8 ⇒ (3, 3) + 8 = 14 Damage
1d4 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7 Constrict damage

I obviously won't declare which one crit you until I know which one you targeted with the AOO ;). I'll randomise which one scored the crit once you declare :).


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Target the crab that started in (M,9)

Seeing the crabs rush in, Tun'ada stabs at one of the clawed creatures with his spear, smashing through the creature's chitonous shell with a powerful stab.

Attack:1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26
Damage:1d8 + 9 ⇒ (7) + 9 = 16


Your Humble Narrator

1d2 ⇒ 2 1 crit crab, 2 miss crab

Tun'ada's spearhead was drenched in crab gore and meat but nevertheless the two crabs attacked, one grappling him with a powerful pincer.

Map Update

Tsura and Chi are up. Note that if this is the Tempest's territory, you might be inadvertently slaying his pets. The thought has probably occurred to at least one or two of you...


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Reaching out to touch the shoulder of the tall tribesman in front of her, Tsura invokes a prayer to Desna for guidance and aim.

Cast true strike on Tun'ada. No movement.


Female Half-elf Druid (Jungle Druid)/4th

Oh no it's...crab people!


Your Humble Narrator

True Strike is a personal spell, can't be applied to others.


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Having taken 21 points of damage already, I would be happy to take a curative spell in its place ;)


Female Aasimar Cleric (Varisian Pilgrim) 3/ Sorcerer (Empyreal, Tattooed) 2

Ugh, sorry. Posting from work.

Tsura reaches out, her hand briefly flashing a bright white light as she touches Tun'ada's shoulder.

Cast cure moderate wounds.

2d8 + 3 ⇒ (2, 7) + 3 = 12


Your Humble Narrator

Chi is up then a new round.

551 to 600 of 1,199 << first < prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Alexander Kilcoynes Serpents Skull PbP- Chapter 2, Racing to Ruin All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.