Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Alexander Kilcoynes Serpents Skull PbP- Chapter 2, Racing to Ruin (Inactive)

Game Master Alexander Kilcoyne

"I might toss her back into the sea for good measure"

Nkechi "The Tempest", speaking about Willow Whisperwood.


1 to 50 of 1,199 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Your Humble Narrator

Welcome to DM Alexander Kilcoyne's Serpents Skull PbP- Chapter 2, Racing to Ruin

Links-

Previously on Serpents Skull...

OOC Thread

Our Heroes-

Chi

Ambroze

Tun'ada

Marcus

Gwenyth

And so the story continues...

Ambroze led you to the Sargava Club last night, a fine inn where few questions were asked but free food and board was given by the kindly owner- sympathetic to your plight of surviving a shipwreck. You get the impression hes hoping somebody will tell the tale in the common room in the evening in return but he hasn't specifically asked it. After arriving, you tucked into what must have been the finest meal in your life; or at least, after eating simple cooked meat and berries on a undead infested island, it felt like it. Despite enquiries, no one at the club could cast Remove Curse and if asked, many would be skeptical that the churches would cast such a powerful spell without owing someone a favor. Sleep came easily for everyone despite the disheartening news, a soft bed something of a strange thing without the background noises of the jungle and the stirring of a dozen other people around you.

The next day, you meet over breakfast to make plans. Ambroze has made some more progress with Ieana's notes over the course of last night...

New section in italics.

The Azlant hero Savith, who led an army to Garund to defeat the serpentfolk empire once and for all. After leading her troops on a fierce campaign through the Screaming Jungle and into the Mwangi Expanse in search of the serpentfolk city of Ilmurea, Savith built a small fort in a secluded area a mere stone’s throw from the deep scars in the earth that led to Ilmurea from the surface. Within this stronghold, called Tazion, Savith built a map of the region to plot her final assault on the serpentfolk city. When Savith ultimately perished defeating the serpentfolk god Ydersius, her followers built a city in the jungle above Ilmurea and named it Saventh-Yhi (“Savith’s Grave”) in her honor.

With the rise of the city, Tazion waned in importance, though it still stood near one of the entrances to the hidden valley. The story continues as a cult of Zura sprung up decades later in the now-legendary lost city of Saventh-Yhi, a dark and debased cult that worshipped the evil deity and ex-Azlant. The inhabitants of Saventh-Yhi defeated the cultists in a fierce battle and banished the survivors from the city forever. Fleeing to the island of Smuggler’s Shiv, these cultists became vampires and plotted a return to their homeland to spread Zura’s worship and their curse of vampirism to their former brethren. Unfortunately for them, the magical wards surrounding Saventh-Yhi kept them from simply retracing their steps. Thus, they planned to enter the city through Tazion, where they could use Savith’s original magical map to find the “back door” into Saventh-Yhi.

Ambroze needs a few more days to decipher the final section of the notes but hes getting the impression that the location of this 'Tazion' will be revealed...

Day 1, Sargava Club, Eleder...


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

While pleased to have a good meal, and grateful for a night of restful sleep, Tun'ada is clearly not comfortable in the city...

"Sounds like we may have another adventure to embark on, Ambroze. What say the rest of you? After we see to Chi's...condition, I for one, would be more than willing to seek out this Tazion. If for no other reason than I am sure Yarzoth is not the only one seeking to bring back her dead god."


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Chi wakes refreshed, but a tear trickles down her cheek as she recounts the words describing the abilities of the healers here."


Female Human Oracle 4

Never having stayed at an inn of any sort, Gwen is clearly taken with the experience. She arrives downstairs in the morning freshly washed and preened, her beauty nearly radiating from her. So many days spent with dirt and mud in her hair and covering her skin had cast somewhat of a pallor over the girl's natural beauty, but those influences now seem a thing of the past. She eats voraciously. As she does so, her attention is focused on Ambroze's account of the translation. As Tun'ada mentions the possibility of seeking out Tazion and Saventh-Yhi, her mind races.

Is this well and truly it, then, Gods? Have you led me here into this place with these companions that I might attain the power I need to defeat Mengkare and free my people? Surely, if any facet of Savith's power remains in this hidden place, it would behoove me to seek it out. Mengkare is nearly a god himself, and I will need all the help I can get...

She finds herself nodding her head, slowly.

Yes, Tun'ada, I think this is a wise course. Although I am saddened to consider leaving civilization nearly as soon as we've found it, we are in a unique position. Such opportunities are best seized. But first, we must do everything we can in order to restore Chi's dignity to her. If the temples can only cast such spells if they owe a favor, let's see to it that they owe us a favor. Bring me to a high priest, I will do my best to talk our way into his favor. With help, of course.

Gwen says this last while smiling demurely at Ambroze.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Chi stays quietly in their accommodation as the others decide the course of action.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Marcus looks a little downcast on the way to the inn, the ambiguous parting from Sasha seems to have him thinking he should have said something meaningful to the former Red Mantis.

His spirits soon pick up though and in barely a few hours he seems to have secured a bath, a haircut and a fancy red coat, cutting a much more distinguished figure than the bedraggled man who wandered into camp from the beach. At breakfast he casually sips one of the inkeeper's finer wines while he listens to Ambroze's tale and Tun'ada's proposal.

So this city is above a city full of these snake people? I'm not sure I'm keen to run into a bunch of them. Just one nearly managed to finish us off.

Something seems to occur to him.

What do you think Ambroze? This Saventh-Yhi. Was it reknowned for its treasures? I've heard legends about these lost cities in the jungle: golden idols, diamonds the size of your fist. He starts to get excited.

Hey! We're the only ones who know about this place right? We could take a look see. See if theres any treasure that needs liberating. Marcus seems oblivious that ship has probably already sailed.

But theres no rush right? We could take a few weeks to rest, get Chi cured, see the sights.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Chi smiles weakly at Marcus when he suggests that they should get Chi cured.


Female Human Oracle 4

Well, let's move along, shall we?

After breakfast is consumed, Gwen asks the innkeep about the local temples - which are the most powerful, which are the closest, whether any have a reputation for corruption.

...and I'll thank you to point me in the direction of one who would know, if you don't, good sir. I'm certain that your knowledge of your city is more than sufficient, however.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27


Your Humble Narrator
Gwenyth wrote:

Well, let's move along, shall we?

After breakfast is consumed, Gwen asks the innkeep about the local temples - which are the most powerful, which are the closest, whether any have a reputation for corruption.

...and I'll thank you to point me in the direction of one who would know, if you don't, good sir. I'm certain that your knowledge of your city is more than sufficient, however.

Diplomacy: 1d20+9

The barkeep is a grizzled man who claims to know about anything adventurer's will need in their time in Eleder. He says the only church that has any real power in Eleder is the Church of Abadar, who bought out the old church of Aroden years ago and is said to include the Grand Custodian Utilinus among its clergy; he gives you detailed directions to the church and also points you to 'Temple Street', a street famous for the missionaries of various deities that will attempt to convert you but may also be able to cast spells needed, for a price.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Marcus grumbles a bit at the mention of the Abadarans but dons his new coat and gets ready to leave without ending any encouragement.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Chi gathers her possessions together "You never know when something might be useful to sell or barter for something better." Thinking, 'might buy my real self back again'. She covers herself up as best she can, despite the heat of the place, and follows the others as they follow the directions to the temple.

If you're not on the way to the temple, then she'll slink back into the shadows behind you.


Female Human Oracle 4

Indeed we are!

Gwen leads the party to the temple of Abadar, and requests an audience with the High Cleric.

Gwenyth Elise Finley, The Undrowned, Survivor of the Jenavere, Bane of the Last Priestess of Ydersius, Mouthpiece of Life and Friend and Companion to the Castaways kindly wishes to speak with the High Cleric. Will you grant me an audience?


Your Humble Narrator

You make your way through the streets of Eleder, following the fairly detailed map the barkeep drew for you. Sure enough, you come to one of the grandest buildings in Eleder, the church of Abadar, formerly the Church of Aroden and still bearing his symbol, the Eye, high above the doors. A mighty cathedral, the thirty steps leading up to the open set of oak double doors are filled with a throng of worshippers and those seeking aid, both spiritual and financial.

Gwenyth manages to find an acolyte of Abadar and makes her request. The middle aged man looks at her gravely after listening patiently to her and replies-

I'm afraid that the High Priest doesn't just see anyone; hes an extremely busy man and I can't guarantee he is even in the church at present. I'm sorry, did you say 'Last Priestess of Ydersius'? I'm afraid worship of the Beheaded One is not so uncommon in the Mwangi Expanse and other dark corners of the world, so I must contest your self-proclaimed title madam. What is the nature of your need to see his grace?

OOC I love the titles xD.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

As Chi enters the magnificent cathedral, she feels as an insect under its immense roof. The vast size and richness of murals, tapestries and colored glass windows, is like no other building she has entered before. She lets her hand rub against the mighty oaken door as they enter, letting the history and spirits of the place contact her own being. Trying to be part of the structure, of the place, listening to the faint sound of chanting voices coming from somewhere distant. Her senses tingle, yet they make her feel just a small insignificant speck of dust or is it a seed on the winds of fate. A feeling comes, is it divine inspiration or .... The question is planted will she be a seed blown about never taking hold in the earth or will she and her friends be like strong and healthy plants taking root and altering the paths of the winds, as the great trees in the Mwangi do. For moments Chi forgets her deformity, forgets her curse, for the first time in days she feels positive about the future. She follows her friends until Gwen stops in front of her, talking.

Chi blinks as Gwen describes herself, even Chi seems more impressed with her friend and almost bows her head herself, before she remembers and mutters quietly to herself, "Don't be silly, its really Gwen." A smile breaks across her face, her eyes become a little misty, as she realizes how much Gwen's friendship has come to mean. As she thinks of each of her companions, no friends, in turn. A common bond binds them together.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

My apologies, folks. I have been beyond slammed at work these past few weeks even during the recent holiday and haven't had an opportunity to take the time to craft a suitable post for the beginning of our next chapter. I hope to make a more substantial post this weekend after my workload lightens up. Until then, please assume that Ambroze is working diligently to decipher the rest of Yarzoth's notes, even as he accompanies the group to the temple of Abadar.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Marcus walks beside Gwen and glares a bit at the acolyte while letting the oracle do the talking.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Marcus`s impatience seems to get the better of him.

Our business? Our comrade was inflicted by a curse from some ancient vampire cult while risking her life fighting a great evil. The kind of evil you priests are supposed to deal with. Only of course your too busy counting offerings and so forth. Now we both know how these things work. We have gold. So go fetch your High Priest and do it now!


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

The sound of a cat purring can be heard in the silence of the moment as it rubs its sides along Marcus' legs. Chi looks down and smiles at the ginger cat.


Your Humble Narrator
Marcus Alanto wrote:

Marcus`s impatience seems to get the better of him.

Our business? Our comrade was inflicted by a curse from some ancient vampire cult while risking her life fighting a great evil. The kind of evil you priests are supposed to deal with. Only of course your too busy counting offerings and so forth. Now we both know how these things work. We have gold. So go fetch your High Priest and do it now!

If you seek crusading clergy who wish to reward those who smite evil, I daresay you would be better off seeking a priest of Iomedae on Temple Street, sir. A curse, you say? Perhaps with more information I could be a little more helpful.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Well I'm not going to let you examine her out here in front of everyone like a merchant examining horses! At least have the decency to do this in private.

Any time Gwen.


Your Humble Narrator

Think jer is still utterly swamped which is a real shame.

If you'd care to follow me I can provide a curtained booth for an examination?


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Marcus looks hesitantly at Chi.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

C'mon Chi guess we have no choice.

Marcus follows closely at the priest's heels.


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Still here....don't know why many of these posts didn't show up as new since the last time I looked in here...

Tun'ada follows behind, somewhat hesitant to trust the priest of the god of cities...


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Didn't show up as new for me either....but here now.

Chi bows her head to the clergyman, a little unsure her voice quietly says, "Lead on." She follows into the curtained booth, removing her outer garments, revealing the bat-like deformities. "Courtesy of some ancient god, I believe my good friend found evidence of a god called Zura, but it might just have easily been an evil curse from Ydersius.... It was divine magic held in a rune, hidden from us. Please help me become clean again!" she pleads to the priest.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Well priest? What is it going to take to remove this curse?

Suspect DM has been waiting on Jer resolution to move things much further.


Your Humble Narrator

Indeed I have.


Your Humble Narrator

Jeremiziah, it occured to me that you might not be seeing new posts from the discussion thread. I can see you posting elsewhere so I would like to hear from you ASAP please.


Female Human Oracle 4

Per the ooc thread, I'm back. My most sincere apologies to my friends and companions.

Acolyte wrote:
I'm afraid that the High Priest doesn't just see anyone; hes an extremely busy man and I can't guarantee he is even in the church at present. I'm sorry, did you say 'Last Priestess of Ydersius'? I'm afraid worship of the Beheaded One is not so uncommon in the Mwangi Expanse and other dark corners of the world, so I must contest your self-proclaimed title madam. What is the nature of your need to see his grace?[/ooc]

Gwen flushes at the repudiation of her title, temporarily put off, but is not to be deterred after her companions recover for her.

Yes, yes. This curse - for so we believe it to be - was inflicted upon my friend here in the bowels of a temple to Zura, which in turn was likely an older temple to the beheaded god. Although many may call themselves priestesses of Ydersius, I would wager that few indeed are or have been as close to restoring the serpent god to his, shall we say, wholly living state as the priestess we found there. She was, after all, in the middle of a ceremony, and likely minutes away from achieving that unholy act when we stopped her. At this last, Gwen gestures to her companions.

I present to you Marcus Alanto, Chi T'reignial, Tun'ada of the Mwangi Expanse, and the scholar Ambroze Zimblethorpe Boddynock. It is to be understood that you fail to greet us with a hero's welcome, for how could you know what we have endured and achieved? But now you know, so I will thank you to observe due courtesy and treat my companion's illness with all haste. As Marcus points out, we have coin. You have vaults. It seems a perfect match to mine eyes.

Should a further Diplomacy roll be needed: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (20) + 9 = 29


Your Humble Narrator

Having inspected Chi carefully in the booth with minimal fuss and a great deal of courtesy, the priest listens carefully to your pleas and tale. Gwenyth seems to have genuinelly moved him with her words and his stern gaze seems to soften as Gwenyth explains the deeds which led to the curse being bestowed.

I would dearly like to help, but as you may suspect, such power is not mine to bestow- and the ability to remove this curse would require magic only available to very few within the church; indeed, within Eleder or Sargava itself. Perhaps only the High Priest himself or the Grand Custodian has such power, unless an item to battle the curse could be requisitioned.

As the acolyte speaks, he begins to lead you back towards the grand set of stairs.

I will be frank with you, because I do believe your tale and respect your deeds; offering coin here is simply not enough. As far as I can tell, you have no way of verifying your deeds other than your word; but most importantly, you have no influence here in the city. Such powerful magic and use of the High Priest's time and precious spells are not doled out over a quick exchange of money for services rendered; you need influence here, or a patron who can grant it. Nevertheless, I will personally write a petition to my superior for the request to be passed along. Perhaps, with the aid of divination magic, we can verify your claims of heroic deeds and reward you for them appropiately, in a few weeks time.


Female Human Oracle 4

Gwen sighs, but a look of understanding passes over her face just afterward.

Very well, servant of the Master of the Vaults. We greatly appreciate your efforts on our behalf. We are staying at the Sargava Club, should you wish to reach us. If we can conceive of a way to prove our deeds, we may return sooner. For now, we will take our leave.

She gestures to the others, and walks into the street.

You heard him - weeks. That will surely not suffice. We need to gain influence with some powerful person or group. I can think of several that might be interested to hear what we might be able to tell them - once Ambroze has finished deciphering what he needs to decipher. Jask may be able to get us an in with the government here, and Gelik may be able to introduce us to the Pathfinders. What say you?


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

"Either option seems acceptable, though we need to do so as quickly as possible, for Chi's sake."


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

Hope everyone had great holidays!

"It might be worth talking to those priests of Iomedae the Abadaran mentioned," Ambroze suggests, giving his friends a slightly cross-eyed look as he glances up from the cryptic notes that he's trying to decipher. "Didn't he say they could be found on Temple Street?"


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Marcus seems right on the verge of an angry outburst following the priest's words but controls his temper (if barely).

In the street.

Damn Abadarans. Worse than useless! Don't worry Chi, we'll try every temple if we have to!

And Gwen's right. Jask will be able to help surely.

How about we split up? Some of us go see Jask and the others try the rest of the temples with Chi?


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Chi leaves the temple crestfallen, but smiles at her friends optimism. "|Yes, Marcus maybe the Temple of Iomedae next and Jask is our friend." As she sniffles into her hair hanging down about her face untidily.


Female Human Oracle 4

Gwen smiles wanly and gives her head a slight shake.

I already tire of treating with these diplomats in priest's clothes. "Crusading clergy who wish to reward those who smite evil" indeed! What other kind of clergy ought there to be? Timid clergy who wish to reward those who coddle evil and feed it a sweetmeat? She scoffs indignantly.

I think we should see Jask, or seek out Master Gelik. They at least will not question our deeds or our valor.

Gwen is clearly pouting.

If we do split up, which I think to be a worthy idea, I will go see Jask.


Your Humble Narrator

Bump. Whats the plan?


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

"Yes, let's talk to Master Gelik. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier, but from the stories that Uncle Dimble told me Pathfinders run into problems like this all the time. If the local priests can't help, I'm sure that the Pathfinders would have the resources to help Chi. Master Gelik said that he'd be at the local Pathfinder lodge - let's look him up there."

Knowledge (local) to know the location of the Pathfinder Lodge: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (13) + 8 = 21 - if that doesn't work, hopefully we can ask at the Sargava Club.

I support the plan to split up. How about Ambroze goes with Marcus to the Pathfinders, and Gwen takes Chi and Tun'ada to see Jask?


Female Human Oracle 4

Done and Done. Make it so, AK!


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Agreed.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Good plan


Your Humble Narrator

Ambroze can recall the location of the Pathfinder Lodge in Eleder- its in the dockside district of Eleder and quite a humble building, although the large wooden structure still dwarfs many around it. Name dropping Gelik gets you fast tracked into an audience with Venture-Captain Finze Bellaugh, who has apparently heard all about you from the bard. You are now in a small and comfortable meeting chamber with fine food spread out for you with said Venture Captain and an overjoyed Gelik.

Does this mean you're going to make the right choice for who to sponsor your expedition? Gelik asks Ambroze excitedly, not paying a lot of attention to Marcus. Finze Bellaugh himself is a middle aged human man and is clearly a wizard- featuring the distinct hunched back of a scholar who has spent far too much time hunched over an old tome or grimoire.

Recently reinstated Pathfinder Gelik speaks highly of all of you- and I understand you have survived quite the ordeal on Smugglers Shiv. Forgive me if i'm not eager to hear the tale again, as Gelik has told it at least a dozen times now and the walls are rather thin in this lodge. What can I do for you today, friends?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -

The Sargavan Palace in Eleder is still a magnificent structure that dominates the entire city, but signs of the country's decay are visible in the somewhat shoddily maintained walls and grounds. Jask is in the first large chamber you enter and is in conversation with Ishorou when you arrive. He spots you and he and the Tien man approach, embracing Gwenyth warmly and seemingly about to embrace Chi but perhaps thinks the better of it, not wanting to upset her.

My friends- I have received a full pardon and the information contained within the evidence you found was assigned a reward by the Grand Custodian himself- here, its all your.

Jask hands Tun'ada a large purse of coins 100 platinum pieces.

Are you hoping the government can help Chi? I've spoken to my superiors here and can get you an audience promptly if you wish- it seems unlikely they'll help out of the kindness of their hearts, but i'm sure we could broker a deal...


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

"The temples of the gods of this city seem not able to aid Chi. Perhaps your friends can help her."

The tribesman looks at the bag of coins after hearing Jask's last comment...

Maybe this money you were so generous to give us could help that deal along..."


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Chi smiles at Jask and Ishorou, trying to hide her deformities as much as possible. Thankful that her friends are not making the uncomfortableness of her situation any worse by physical contact. "Your kindness is always accepted with love, my friends."


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Sponsor? Am I missing something? Marcus looks sharply between the two gnomes, evidently a bit miffed at Gelik's treatment and suddenly realising the obvious about what Gelik would have said and to whom.

Turning to Finze. As Gelik no doubt relayed, our companion Chi has been afflicted by a foul curse that has warped her appearance. We seek a priest to remove it but the damn bureaucracy here makes that difficult.

No doubt our friend Gelik has also relayed the extent of our assistance in the matters that have led to his reinstatement. We'd like your help in procuring a cure. Influence seems to be the issue rather than coin.

Said with all of the persuasiveness of a 7 charisma. Might as well try a roll. Diplomacy 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (19) - 2 = 17

Edit:woot. Marcus is uncustomarily eloquent in making his request. Can I get an assist from Ambroze?


Your Humble Narrator
Tun'ada wrote:

"The temples of the gods of this city seem not able to aid Chi. Perhaps your friends can help her."

The tribesman looks at the bag of coins after hearing Jask's last comment...

Maybe this money you were so generous to give us could help that deal along..."

I will be blunt with you all. Sargava is a struggling country that desperately needs coin and influence to stay afloat- now, what you found in the underground temple hints at a fantastic discovery. I arranged the audience in the hope that you would at least consider letting the Sargavan government sponsor your expedition there, or sell them the information you possess if you aren't inclined to do so. In either case, curing Chi of her curse would be a boon as part of the deal, completely off the negotiating table. It would be guaranteed and not held over your heads.

Jask looks at the three of you gravely, hope written on his face.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -

Marcus Alanto wrote:

Sponsor? Am I missing something? Marcus looks sharply between the two gnomes, evidently a bit miffed at Gelik's treatment and suddenly realising the obvious about what Gelik would have said and to whom.

Turning to Finze. As Gelik no doubt relayed, our companion Chi has been afflicted by a foul curse that has warped her appearance. We seek a priest to remove it but the damn bureaucracy here makes that difficult.

No doubt our friend Gelik has also relayed the extent of our assistance in the matters that have led to his reinstatement. We'd like your help in procuring a cure. Influence seems to be the issue rather than coin.

Said with all of the persuasiveness of a 7 charisma. Might as well try a roll. Diplomacy 1d20 - 2

Edit:woot. Marcus is uncustomarily eloquent in making his request. Can I get an assist from Ambroze?

Marcus' eloquence seems to be well received by Finze but its likely that its no more than a Venture-Captain would expect in a formal meeting.

Influence is something we can provide to your group, as well as coin and the full backing of the greatest expeditionary society in all of the Inner Sea Region, if not Golarion itself. Gelik tells me you have information that could lead you Saventh-Yhi; assuming this is indeed the case, we're prepared to make you a generous offer to sponsor your expedition which will include immediate removal of your companions curse, as a gesture of our goodwill. If your interested in such a proposal perhaps we could even strike a contract today, if you have the backing of your group in this matter.


Male Human Fighter 5 50/50 hp 4hp nonlethal

Finze's utterly unsubtle linking of assistance with accepting sponsorship seems to have Marcus quite angry, although he surpresses an outburst. He gives Gelik a hard "seriously?" look and looks sidewise at Ambroze perhaps not sure where the gnome's ultimate loyalties lie.

We will speak to our group. It may well be that we decide that we do need assistance and the pathfinder society is best suited to give it.

He pauses. But lets be clear. After helping Gelik. And having our friend afflicted by an awful curse while stopping a great evil and curing the shiv from an even greater curse. You are not prepared to make your gesture of goodwill unless we accept your offer? Is that about the size of it Venture-Captain?


Your Humble Narrator

Gelik was not a Pathfinder at the time of your ordeal and quite frankly, had been something of a liability and an embaressment for us in recent months.

Gelik scowls at Finze behind his back.

That is indeed the size of it Marcus and I am sorry it displeases you. I'm running a guild of exploration here and delving into secrets lost to civilisation for hundreds if not thousands of years- not a charity or Paladin order. Removing a curse of the magnitude Gelik describes is no easy task, nor is it a cheap one, nor would it be a quick process to requisition such resources when the society will see little gain in it for them. If another faction or organisation will cure Chi before you do anything for them, i'd like your friend Ambroze here to come and regale us with this tale- for until I hear it and see her cured with my own eyes, I am truly sceptical that any will give something for nothing. Not with the rumours flying around about your discovery on Smugglers Shiv, at any rate. Not in Sargava.

Finze rises to his feet.

If you do decide that you want the most experienced delvers in the world assisting your expedition and increasing your odds of success, you know where to find us now and we are extremely interested in such a proposal. Ambroze, do you have anything to add?


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

"We're honored that the Pathfinder Society would consider sponsoring our expedition to Saventh-Yhi, Venture-Captain Bellaugh. To be honest, that's not something I had even considered," Ambroze says, a bit naively. "But having an organization as skilled at exploration as the Pathfinder Society aiding us would be a huge benefit, Marcus. And the Venture-Captain has a point. I doubt there's anyone here that would help us cure Chi strictly as an act of charity - we're going to owe someone a favor for curing Chi, regardless of who we go to."

The gnome scholar pauses for a moment as he considers all that the Venture-Captain has said and is struck with a new thought. "And if what Venture-Captain Bellaugh says is true - about rumors already circulating regarding our discovery on the Shiv - then less scrupulous folk may also seek to take advantage of us. It might be good to have the protection of the Pathfinder Society on our side," Ambroze says to Marcus.

Ambroze turns back to the Venture-Captain. "Venture-Captain Bellaugh, I truly appreciate your generous offer and will relay it to my companions with all haste. However, I feel I must correct you on your assessment of Master Gelik. Master Gelik was instrumental in helping all of us survive our ordeal on the Shiv. Why, without him we may have never gotten the lighthouse to a functional condition to signal to the ship that finally rescued us. And he was a veritable whirlwind of death in our battle against the horde of vicious cannibals that inhabited the island. I think the Pathfinder Society should consider itself quite fortunate to count him as a member."

Ambroze bows respectfully to the Venture-Captain and to Master Gelik. "Again, I appreciate the time you've taken to meet with us, and your generous offer. We will discuss it with our friends and return with our answer. I hope to speak with you again soon."


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2
DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:

I will be blunt with you all. Sargava is a struggling country that desperately needs coin and influence to stay afloat- now, what you found in the underground temple hints at a fantastic discovery. I arranged the audience in the hope that you would at least consider letting the Sargavan government sponsor your expedition there, or sell them the information you possess if you aren't inclined to do so. In either case, curing Chi of her curse would be a boon as part of the deal, completely off the negotiating table. It would be guaranteed and not held over your heads.

Jask looks at the three of you gravely, hope written on his face.

"Jask, as you well know there are others we must speak with before making a decision on behalf the group as a whole. Allow us to get back to you after speaking with Ambroze and Marcus, I am sure we will be willing to listen to your friends, especially if it can help Chi, but we do need to talk to the others first."

1 to 50 of 1,199 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Alexander Kilcoynes Serpents Skull PbP- Chapter 2, Racing to Ruin All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.