Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

DM Alexander Kilcoynes Serpents Skull PbP- Chapter 1, Souls for the Smugglers Shiv (Inactive)

Game Master Alexander Kilcoyne

"What I am doing here eclipses your pathetic lives. I am on the cusp of a discovery your fragile race has not been able to solve since the sky fell so long ago..."

Yarzoth, before being slain by the castaways


151 to 200 of 4,353 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Your Humble Narrator

No checks required this time guys, but yeah it wasn't bad luck there Chi, just bad choice of dice. Those damn D1's ;).

The rocks are a little slippery, but you proceed carefully up to the ledge- it overlooks the main deck, and is an easy jump down onto the ship's main deck. The waves battering the Jenivere are making the ship sway back and forth (the whole ship will be difficult terrain).

Perception DC10:

You can hear something making a terrible racket just below the main deck. Sounds like something solid is being bashed against something else solid...

From the main deck, you will be able to access the captain's cabin, the larder and possibly the supply room down a small flight of stairs. Although the supply room is partially part of the lower deck, from the outside it seems to have survived the impact.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27
Flute wrote:
You definitely rolled MAXIMUM considering the sided die you rolled there Chi. ;)

Red faced elf buries face in hands...

Acrobatics to walk across the rocks to the ship 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (12) + 3 = 15
Perception to notice anything on the way across 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


Male Human Invulnerable Barbarian 2

Perception: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

James happily gives Flute a hand up if asked for it, before forging ahead and dropping down onto the deck with a thump.

Back, god this moves amazingly fast. :D


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

"Careful. Sounds like we have company below deck already."

Assuming I could use the perception check from my previous post


Male Human Invulnerable Barbarian 2

James readies his sword, having also heard the noise, and quickly beckons to Chi. If she joins him, he whispers the following.

"You stayed hidden on this ship for a long time, creep ahead if you can, it'd be good to know what's making that noise."


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27
Tun'ada wrote:
"Careful. Sounds like we have company below deck already."

Chi knocks an arrow in place on her bow at Tun'dra's warning and hangs back a little, knowing her bow is her most lethal weapon.


Female Human Oracle 4

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18

Let's hope it's a rigging or something and neither a person nor a "scorpion bugger", Gwen chuckles.


Male Dwarf Druid 1

Thanks James.

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13

I'm not gonna lie, lads.. I'm a bit concerned we don't 'ear any voices...

Flute yells

'ELLO?? ANYONE THAR?

Then hears the clattering below deck and Tun'ada's comment.

Aye lad. Me guess is that its comin from aroond whats left of tha supply room maybe. Lets hope its a person and not another scorpion bugger after me rum!


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27
James Carmichael wrote:

James readies his sword, having also heard the noise, and quickly beckons to Chi. If she join him, he whispers the following.

"You stayed hidden on this ship for a long time, creep ahead if you can, it'd be good to know what's making that noise."

Chi on hearing James request is a little overwhelmed by the occasson and rather than defer, acquiesces to his request. Trying to find a darkened way down in any shadows, bow at the ready.

Stealth 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18 using Silent Hunter speed
Perception 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17


Your Humble Narrator

Is anyone not going down onto the deck?


Male Human Invulnerable Barbarian 2

James winces at Flute's shout, thinking that maybe that was not the best course of action, but with it done prepares to follow Chi, hanging back from her ready to protect her should the need be.


Female Human Oracle 4
DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:
Is anyone not going down onto the deck?

I'll be bringing up the rear.

Also, if you want Dwarves to be quiet, you have to tell them really early. LOLOL


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Tun'ada creeps down onto the ship's deck, following after Chi, though not at the same speed as the silent elf.

Stealth:1d20 + 7 ⇒ (11) + 7 = 18


Male Dwarf Druid 1
James Carmichael wrote:
James winces at Flute's shout

In a whisperish and defensive tone: What? In a regular whisperish tone We're lookin' fer survivors not hunting fer trolls, lad.

I think just Chi is going to scout ahead and get back to us first.

While waiting.. Flute puts his hammer to his side and holds his hand out from his position on the boat/rocks... recalling himself doing this not too long ago on the open sea.


Your Humble Narrator

As the party descend onto the deck, three larger scorpions (Medium sized rather than Small this time) quickly come up from the stair leading to the lower deck, attracted by the sounds of people landing on the deck and good old fashioned Dwarven shouting.

Initiative rolls please- and please specify if you came down onto the deck or not so I can position you on my map. No actions yet please just an initiative roll and if your on the deck of the ledge.


Male Human Invulnerable Barbarian 2

James shrugs back at Flute. "We still don't know how we got here, somebody poisoned us but chose not to kill for some reason. We should be wary."

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

"Maybe not trolls..." he trails off, turning to face the emerging beasts.


Male Dwarf Druid 1

Flute snaps back to reality when scorpions are brought to his attention.
Flute is above deck currently.

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Status:

HP: 13/15
AC: 17


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Ambroze is bringing up the rear with Gwenyth. I assume he is still on the ledge.


Your Humble Narrator

I'll give you guys some time to post your initiatives, deck or ledge position (I know for most of you already) and catch up on the thread. Will have a Round 1 Situation, Initiative Count and Map up in about one hour, or until I have everyone's init.


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Initiative:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

On the ship's deck, Terbutje readied, but shield stowed


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Initiative:1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Chi would have been the most advanced of the party, maybe even started to go down the stairs to below.

AK:
Bot me rather than hold up the game, Chi's strategy is 1st try to get to safety, before using her bow to attack the foe.


Female Human Oracle 4

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

On the ledge with Ambroze, I've been clutching my crossbow since I picked it up.


Female Human Oracle 4

Flute, did you take 7 points of damage in that first fight, or did you forget to update from my 5 HP healed when I used Channel Energy?


Male Human Invulnerable Barbarian 2

The two of us did get ganged up on. I'm still two below par after that healing, but compared to my total hp that's pretty much negligible. I can't say the same for Flute.


Male Dwarf Druid 1

Totally forgot the channel. :D So I'm at full HP and getting my shield bonus. :D Thanks for reminding me Gwenyth.


Your Humble Narrator

As the party mostly descend to the deck, Chi begins to sneak forward as three large sea scorpions scutter up from the remains of the lower deck.

Round 1 Initiative-
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Ordered Initiative-

Sea Scorpion 1- 23
Tun'ada- 16
James- 15
Sea Scorpion 2- 11
Sea Scorpion 3- 11
Chi- 11
Gwyneth- 8
Flute- 7
Ambroze- 6

The Sea Scorpions have been numbered 1-3 south-north.

Before she can react, one of the scorpions quickly surges forward and jabs at Chi with its stinger, just catching Chi before she has a chance to dodge.

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5 Acro
1d20 + 0 ⇒ (10) + 0 = 10 Attack
1d3 ⇒ 2 Damage

DC12 Fort Save please Chi.

Active Effects
Those on the deck- you and the sea scorpions have a -2 to hit due to the shaking of the boat. Also for those on the deck, performing more movement than a single move each round will require an Acrobatics check DC of 12, for example a charge, run or withdraw action. A single move action only requires a check of DC5. Failure simply means you lose yor balance and spend your action that you used to regain your balance. Failure by more than 5 means bad, bad things.

Map

MAP LINK HERE

Over to you guys. Map has arrived!

Edit- Map link fixed to show the scorpions position after attacking Chi!


Male Human Invulnerable Barbarian 2

I don't like the sound of bad bad things and my ten dex...


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Chi staggers backward from the stinger, and feels its poison start to course through her body.

Fortitude Save 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Current HP=6

With her blood boiling, sweat from the poison brings sweat to her brow, already the poison works it's way round her body. With all her strength, she tries to retreat behind those warrior looking people in the party and get to the rocks. She uses her bow to try and shield her from further attacks.

Acrobatics 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17 please take of whatever from the poison.


Your Humble Narrator
Chi T'reignial wrote:

Chi staggers backward from the stinger, and feels its poison start to course through her body.

Fortitude Save 1d20+2

Chi:

Take 1d2 ⇒ 1 Con damage. I'll need another save next round, same DC. Bear in mind the Con damage might lower your fort save.


Male Dwarf Druid 1

With a quick incantation, a dazzling burst erupts in front of the closest scorpion.

Flute doesn't move and simply casts flare. (fortitude DC 14 or be dazzled for 1 minute).

Yer seriously tha' unlucky aren't ye?


[oompaloompa]
What do you get when you move your move speed?
make an acrobatic check and beat the DC.
fail by a lot and expect bad bad things
fear these words and the scorpion stings
(I don't like the look of this)
[/oompaloompa]


Female Human Oracle 4

Seeing Chi struck by the scorpion, one much larger than the venomous ones on the beach, Gwen fears for the worst, and her adreneline begins to surge.

(Free action)

Chi! Kom nærmere, kan jeg være i stand til å hjelpe!!

Celestial:
Chi! Come closer, I might be able to help!

Yes, Celestial is being portrayed as Norwegian, so sue me :)


Your Humble Narrator
Flute wrote:


[oompaloompa]
What do you get when you move your move speed?
make an acrobatic check and beat the DC.
fail by a lot and expect bad bad things
fear these words and the scorpion stings
(I don't like the look of this)
[/oompaloompa]

Lmao... Oh man that cracked me up soooo much, i'm cackling away here. Might even give bonus XP to the group.

Gwyneth wrote:


Yes, Celestial is being portrayed as Norwegian, so sue me :)

As a half-norwegian I approve. Thought it looked familiar. Not that I can actually read/write/say more than a few words in Norwegian.


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Round 1:

Tun'ada readies his shield as part of his move action and moves to attack the sea scorpion that attack Chi Square H3.

Acrobatics:1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

Attack:1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 4 - 2 = 21
Damage:1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Crit Confirmation
Attack:1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 4 - 2 = 3
Damage:1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4

bummer, but at least it was on a confirmation as opposed to a primary attack roll


Your Humble Narrator
Tun'ada wrote:

Round 1:

Tun'ada readies his shield as part of his move action and moves to attack the sea scorpion that attack Chi Square H3.

Acrobatics:1d20 + 2

Attack:1d20 + 4
Damage:1d8 + 3

I assume you took the -2 to attack into account right?

Tun'ada moves forward, skillfully keeping his balance and striking the scorpion a mighty blow. Apparently these larger sea scorpions are a bit tougher than their little brothers, as the scorpion is grievously wounded but remains standing.

Unlucky on the crit :)


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2
DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:
Tun'ada wrote:

I assume you took the -2 to attack into account right?

Unlucky on the crit :)

I hadn't originally, but edited the post to include it. as far as the crit goes, I guess we all can't be Morghrim.


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5
Flute wrote:

[oompaloompa]

What do you get when you move your move speed?
make an acrobatic check and beat the DC.
fail by a lot and expect bad bad things
fear these words and the scorpion stings
(I don't like the look of this)
[/oompaloompa]

Dude! That is hilarious! You should be playing a bard!


Male Human Invulnerable Barbarian 2

Roaring with anger as he sees the scorpion strike his ally, James charges up to the beast, swinging at it furiously.

Rage as a free move action to H2, hit the damn thing as a standard.

Acrobatics: 1d20 - 4 ⇒ (9) - 4 = 5

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 192d6 + 9 ⇒ (3, 6) + 9 = 18

Flute, you are a god amongst Dwarves, also I want a fight where we're not at -2. :(


Male Gnome Bard (Archivist) 5

In case it gets to my turn before I can post again...

Round One Action:
From the safety of his perch, Ambroze studies the giant sea scorpions, trying to recall the creatures' weaknesses and the appropriate tactics for battling them. (Ambroze will relay any information he recalls to his companions.)

Knowledge (nature) check: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

If the Knowledge check is sufficient, Ambroze will use his standard action to activate Bardic Performance: Naturalist - this will grant him and any allies within 30 ft a +1 insight bonus to AC and on attack rolls and on saving throws against the scorpions' spell-like, supernatural, and exceptional abilities (including POISON) as appropriate.


Female Human Oracle 4

I'll be out of commission for a little while too, (until this evening) so in general, Gwenyth will move to meet Chi halfway (hopefully) and make a heal check, hoping to beat DC 12 and give Chi a +4 against her next save vs. poison. She will continue to treat other poisoned allies in a similar way, if there are no other poisoned allies she can begin throwing channels out as needed, excluding all the Scorpians from the Healing effects of the channels. If nobody needs healing, cast Bless. Here's some dice rolls to use :)

AK Only:
Heal: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17
Heal: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Heal: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Channel: 1d6 ⇒ 3
Channel: 1d6 ⇒ 2

I'd prefer to use no more than 2 Channels.


Your Humble Narrator

James your raging right? Wanted to check. The damage implies you are.

Maintaining his footing on the rocky boat despite the encumbrance of his armour, James moves forward next to Tun'ada and finishes the sea scorpion off, beheading the creature. The decapitated corpse of the vermin slides off the boat and into the ocean.

The other two scorpions make their move, attacking James and Tun'ada with their stingers-

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9 Acro
1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15 Attack
1d3 ⇒ 2 Damage

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14 Acro
1d20 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6 Attack
1d3 ⇒ 3 Damage

2 damage and a Fort save for you James.

Chi takes a careful step away from the melee, stringing an arrow to her bow and taking a shot at one of the scorpions. Carefully aiming to avoid hitting Tun'ada, the shot flies true and the arrowhead imbeds itself in the scorpions stinger.

1d20 - 3 ⇒ (17) - 3 = 14
1d8 ⇒ 2

Mark off the arrow please, this is a shipwreck game after all :P

Gwyneth steps off the ledge and onto the boat, babbling something in Celestial and moving up to Chi, quickly treating her poison as best che can.

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11 Acrobatics

Please add a +4 bonus to your fort save against the poison next round Chi.

Flute uses a flash of bright light to try and dazzle the closest scorpion, but the creature resists the magic.-

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

Ambroze starts shouting helpful tips about the scorpions down to the group- where the soft spots on their carapace are, how breathing slowly will slow down the effects of the poison, etc.

Ambroze:

These creatures are called Eurypterids. These are the common variety that live in temperate climates and warm oceans. From this size and up, their posion deals constitution damage rather than dexterity damage. They have low-light vision and tremorsense, and are classed as Vermin (aquatic). Interestingly, they have no sense of hearing.


Your Humble Narrator

Round 2

Ordered Initiative-

Tun'ada- 16
James- 15
Sea Scorpion 2- 11
Sea Scorpion 3- 11
Chi- 11
Gwyneth- 8
Flute- 7
Ambroze- 6

Active Effects
1. Those on the deck- you and the sea scorpions have a -2 to hit due to the shaking of the boat. Also for those on the deck, performing more movement than a single move each round will require an Acrobatics check DC of 12, for example a charge, run or withdraw action. A single move action only requires a check of DC5. Failure simply means you lose yor balance and spend your action that you used to regain your balance. Failure by more than 5 means bad, bad things.

2. The archivist and any allies within 30 feet gain a +1 insight bonus to AC and on attack rolls and saving throws against exceptional, supernatural, and spell-like abilities used by creatures of that specific kind of monster.

Map

MAP LINK HERE

Over to you guys. Sorry for the double post, my last post got pretty long and the post monster scares me.


Female Elf Witch 3 (favoured) / Rogue 2 HPs 19/27

Fortitude save 1d20 + 1 + 4 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 + 4 + 1 = 24 (Gwyneth & Ambrose)
Acrobatics 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

Feeling the effects of the poison, Chi moves to the rocks, to get a steady footing for shooting her bow.

As she does she speaks to Gwyneth."Myjou Thraark, ij veilen ta bloden kol." Please insert Norwegian here....

Celestial:
Many thanks Gwyneth, I feel the blood cooling.


Your Humble Narrator
Chi T'reignial wrote:

Fortitude save 1d20+1+4+1 (Gwyneth & Ambrose)

Acrobatics 1d20+3

Feeling the effects of the poison, Chi moves to the rocks, to get a steady footing for shooting her bow.

As she does she speaks to Gwyneth."Myjou Thraark" Please insert Norwegian here....
** spoiler omitted **

Chi:

The cure was one save, your ok now, albeit with one point of Con damage.


Male Dwarf Druid 1

I donno about others but right now the maplink isn't working.

Shale!Flute curses in Dwarven at the monster's resistance to his attack

Oh now ye done it ye overgrown shrimp!

Flute tries again to dazzle the closest sea scorpion.


Male Dwarf Druid 1

The map doesn't wanna load for me...

Durn ye overgrown shrimp! I swear by tha gods if ye touched me brews I'ma kill ye again after I kill ye the first time!

Flute, engraged, will move closer to a spot and fire a bolt of acid at the closest scorpion not in melee


Acrobatics: 1d20 - 5 ⇒ (3) - 5 = -2
Domain power attack (ranged touch attack):1d20 + 1 - 2 ⇒ (4) + 1 - 2 = 3
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
6 uses left of his daily power.

EDIT:once again, I can't see the map so I can't tell you what gridspace I exactly want to be placed.. not that it matters because I couldn't make even a DC 5 acrobatics check. oh man...those rolls weren't very good at all O.O


Male Human Invulnerable Barbarian 2

Yeah, I am raging, I did say in my last post.

Fort Save: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23

New map doesn't work for me. If five foot steps don't provoke an acro roll I might have made one, but I don't know since I can't see the map. Otherwise, here's my attack.

Eyes blood shot with rage as the stinger hits home, James retaliates with a mighty swing of his sword.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 232d6 + 9 ⇒ (5, 3) + 9 = 17

Edit: Crit confirm.

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 92d6 + 9 ⇒ (3, 4) + 9 = 16

Fail.

Current HP:
Normal: 13/18
Rage: 16/21


Male Mwangi (Caldaru) Human Ranger 3 (Shapeshifter) / Barbarian 2

Much like everyone else, I can not see the map. I will work under the assumption since one attacked me, I will not have to move to attack it in return.

Tun'ada brushes the stinger attempt to the side with his shield and tries to find a weakness in the chitonous armor of the sea scorpion

Attack:1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (20) + 4 - 2 = 22
Damage:1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Crit confirmation:
Attack:1d20 + 4 - 2 ⇒ (7) + 4 - 2 = 9
Damage:1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10


Your Humble Narrator

Not sure where my map went. New link- LINK


Your Humble Narrator

James obliterates another sea scorpion with a massive overhand chop, and Tun'ada severely wounds his with a skillful blow. The wounded creature tries to scutter into the sea, but Tun'ada finishes it off as it flees. The main deck of the Jenivere has been won.

100XP each, your frontliners are monstrous...


Male Dwarf Druid 1

Ah could I take a 5ft step without an acrobatic's check? if so, then ignore my terribad roll and Flute moves to -f4 and fires and presumably misses quite terribly. Considering I didn't see the map when I wrote my action...

151 to 200 of 4,353 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Alexander Kilcoynes Serpents Skull PbP- Chapter 1, Souls for the Smugglers Shiv All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.