Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Alexander Kilcoyne's Sargavan Saga

Game Master Alexander Kilcoyne

"What is this place? Puzzles in Azlant, more magic than you see in a year in Absalom. Wheels literally within wheels. Bound demons and wax golems? The expense must have been enormous. But why? To what end?"

Jakob

Kingdom Rules | SRD Reference | Pyramid, Level 1 | Pyramid, Level 2 |


2,451 to 2,500 of 4,152 << first < prev | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | next > last >>

Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

Ansha shrugs at Tebati. "I think we should worry about one thing at a time. Perhaps we'll have more success once the lizard has been dealt with."

She smiles and extends a shallow curtsey to Ntisi and to the council members present. "Thank you for answering our questions. If you will excuse me, I believe I have a request to deliver to your Town Wizard," she says before making her exit.


Your Humble Narrator

Macini Estate-

The council and Ntisi make their various farewells, each assuring Ansha that the questions were no trouble at all. As Ansha left to head for Zesaste's home, Ntisi replied to Tebati's reasoning.

Shamaness, you are correct. By all accounts however, this beast is a danger to the community, whether it was drawn here by mere happen-stance or lured here with the intention of slaying Tabansi.

Mindra nodded her support.

I believe that slaying this beast must be your first priority for the sake of the ranch workers and those families living on the north side of Freehold.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- --

Outside of Cruthoniax's Curios-

The little Gnome seemed excited at the prospect of a hunt and immediately rushed off to acquire a pony.


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

After making her exit from the Macini estate, Ansha meanders her way over in the direction of Zesaste's home. She takes her time, pausing to browse the market district more extensively before finally arriving at her destination.


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

Tebati will wait until Ntisi has finished her business with the council and seek to speak with the shamaness privately afterward.


Male Half-Elf Fighter 2nd/Rogue 2nd

Kieran simply nods to Zesaste's words, taking another sip of the cool water. "So," he says after a moment's pause, "you mentioned something about sparring the other day? I am certainly free. My friends seem to have found things to occupy them here and there, thus leaving me without anything of interest to do for the time being."

"I did walk about town and see the preparations for the festival, but doing so alone seems to be a bit, well, not quite so entertaining to me. So, I thought to take advantage of your invitation."


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

At the Camp of Jeggare:

Qhude left the gnome wondering if his actions had been fair or folly... but put it from his mind. The weighted nets could mean the difference between success or failure, and that was all that mattered. He made a straight line to return to the camp and what he called his own, and prepared himself.

From the kitchen at the camp, he procured a small pot of boiling water and knelt with his weapons laid out in front of his kneeling form. Crouching over the pot he breathed the steam, allowing it to fill his lungs with warmth and cleanse himself. He then took a rag and used the water to wipe clean the blade of his guisarme, and points of the five javelin that he chose from his weapons. Taking a short length of rope, he passed it through the hot water before tying it around his head as a head band while still wet and warm.

His armour was left behind... Qhude wagered that it would not be of merit and might only hinder him in the hunt. Taking his skinning knife, he held the blade in the water until it was hot before using it to open the end of his most recent honor scar... earned after he snapped the neck of the red lipped savage. Leaving the blood on the blade, he sheathed it, before touching the tip of each javelin and the edge of the guisarme blade to the wound. The blood was then left to weep and run slowly down his chest.

It was thus he set back out into the town in search of his umkhaya... bearing weapons marked by blood and seeking to be quenched in more of the same afore they were put away once more.

Qhude is unarmored, but has a dagger, his guisarme and five javelins with him.


Male Human Haunted Nature Oracle 4 (Ac 20 Cmd 20 Will+4 Ref+2 Fort+4)
DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:

Mindra nodded her support.

I believe that slaying this beast must be your first priority for the sake of the ranch workers and those families living on the north side of Freehold.

Jakob is clearly uncomfortable with the idea of killing the animal. But for once he holds his tongue. Words will not spare it, but actions might.


Male Human (Ijo) Monk 4 (Zen Archer)

"Some of us are more than guards. We are the winners of the Sargavan Games. But we do likely still need guards. We were attacked on our way here, by a vicious tribe that intended to sacrifice members of our caravan, specifically our cook was captured. We retrieved her and ensured theat tribe will no longer pose us a threat...that is why we are along." N'bellecq adds a satisfied smile.

"As to where we are going? I think only the caravan boss knows. We will be needed at the destination as security and special tasks....but where this might be I don't know. I think if you join us, you would be in the dark just as much as I. The pay...it must not be bad for the regular guards or they would not be with us I imagine. Come. I will take you to the caravan and some of these questions can be answered...and your cooking can be tasted. I am N'bellocq, by the way."


Your Humble Narrator

N'bellocq's Tree-

The man nodded slowly, becoming more eager as N'bellocq spoke.

Great archer, you have done me a service. I shall not forget this. Very well- please, take me to the caravan master. My name is Kamishah, friend. Tell me more of these "Sargava Games"- is it something similar to the Chalice? I ran it myself you know, several years ago...

The pair slowly walked to Jeggare's caravan, talking as they walked. Once there- Kamishah swiftly prepared a finer meal than anything the regular cook had managed, with exotic spices produced from a belt pouch. N'bellocq found himself temporarily forgotten as Kamishah and Jeggare became fast friends. Despite this, N'bellocq was left feeling as though he had made a good impression on the man and vice versa- Kamishah was interesting, amiable and seemed genuinely interested in getting to know him.

Qhude is here at this point and is going through his ritual.

The Macini Estate-

It did not take long for Ntisi to finish her business; as usual she was concise, polite and to the point. Tebati had little trouble finding a quiet spot to intercept her as she moved to leave the estate grounds...

Cue Tebati. What is Jakob up to?

Zesaste's Home-

The Elf nodded and excused himself for a few minutes. When he returned, he bore an interesting looking longsword, with a gaping, slavering mouth carved as the hilt, the mouth appearing as if it was about to swallow Zesaste's hand.

The pair sparred and although it was a close thing, Kieran's swordplay proved quicker and more precise than Zesaste's own graceful technique- although not by much. Zesaste seemed unperturbed by this and despite taking several hits more than his opponent, bowed politely and thanked Kieran for the duel, continuing to talk amiably. Kieran got the impression Zesaste was quite humble, especially as he did not make a point of noting that he was not using his magic in the session. The much older Elf seemed very content with his idyllic life in Freehold and confided in Kieran that frankly, he had little interest in the ranch- he simply allowed the profits from his share to fund his research and wealthy lifestyle.

One more post from Kieran I think and then we'll introduce Ansha.


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

The Macini Estate-

"Mother," Tebati inclines her head respectfully as she approaches the shamaness, "may I walk with you back into town?" Assuming the older woman agrees, she falls into step beside her. "If I may be permitted, Mother, would you show me the place from which your scrolls were stolen? Is it within your temple itself? Is the building generally left open to your people, or is it locked when not in use? Have there been any unusual comings and goings since you last knew the scrolls were safe?"

After hearing the priestess' answers, Tebati walks on in silence a few more steps, then ventures, "Mother, if you will forgive me.... I have known priests of Erastil at home in the Mwangi Expanse; but all were men, and they disapproved of my people's ways because our shamanesses were women. How is it then that you lead his temple in Freehold?"


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Qhude is still going through his ritual, so hopefully N'Bellocq comes over to him at this point? - just as he finishes perhaps?


Male Human Haunted Nature Oracle 4 (Ac 20 Cmd 20 Will+4 Ref+2 Fort+4)

Jacob departs from the estate with a bow to the collected.

Unless intercepted he walks through the town half noting the preparations, half lost in thought. Wondering how to save the lizard and the man.


Male Half-Elf Fighter 2nd/Rogue 2nd

"That is quite the interesting blade you have there," Kieran remarks before the duel starts. "The worksmanship looks exquisite, even if a little strange for an elf to wield."

As soon as their mock fight is ended, the half-elf takes a moment to catch his breath, looking genuinely impressed wih the mage's swordplay. "Despite having magic at your command, you are nevertheless open to other forms of combat as well, I see," he says with a smile. Finding Zesaste's company both interesting and entertaining, Kieran continues his talk, all the while remaining as friendly and amiable as his host.


Male Human (Ijo) Monk 4 (Zen Archer)

Walking to the camp

"Yes, yes...that is what they call it. The Chalice. Silly name for the games. Seems odd to say I helped win the Chalice, when really what I won was chance to come out here with a new bow and cloak. Funny thing of it though, it was not my archery that carried the day, but shimming up drain pipes and springing across ponds of floating fake animals chasing a monkey. It must have looked quite comical to the crowd but it got quite deadly within the competition. What events did they devise for your participation?"

Later in camp

Having made the introductions necessary, N'bellocq lingered to watch the meal prepared, and then joined in the testing of the meal. Once seeming left to his own devises, he wandered further into camp to see who might be about. Spotting Qhude, he makes his way over.

He sits near Qhude doing his ritual. N'bellocq lays out his arrows and inspects them for damage to the heads or fletching. Once he sees Qhude break from his routine, he speaks up, while continuing his examinations, "Ho brother. There is a good meal to be had at the cook wagon. I went out target shooting and landed a cook. Kamishah, is his name, and is indeed a good cook."


Your Humble Narrator

The Macini Estate-

Ntisi smiled. Of course- please, follow me. The scrolls were taken from the church, which is kept locked each evening and under guard during the day. Such a theft must have been committed at night or there would have been witnesses. I can think of little out of the ordinary since the scrolls were entrusted to my care.

Ntisi listened carefully to Tebati's following questions without interruption or comment. She seemed to be very good at listening to people, with no sign of impatience. She weighed Tebati's words for some time before she finally replied, several dozen paces on.

Old Deadeye is often thought of as stubborn, slow to change and as you have surmised- chauvinistic. I was first drawn to choose Erastil as my patron when I was merely a child. I grew up in a large family and the ideas of a warm and caring community are close to my heart. Only when I became a young woman did I begin to see the barriers in my way to pursuing my vocation.

Ntisi smiled softly, her eyes distant as she looked into the past with her mind's eye.

I maintain to this day, that none of the barriers in my path were divine; merely crafted by various humanoids. I am something of an oddity within the faith, this is true. To put it simply Tebati, I have a wonderful family and am fulfilled with both my vocation, my husband and my children. My interpretation of Erastil's teachings is that a man and a woman both become something greater than themselves when they are joined. Erastil's disapproval of unmarried women is well known; but less spoken about is the same disapproval of unmarried men. Old Deadeye is old-fashioned and set in his ways; but I do not believe him to be sexist. And surely, my interpretation is acceptable to him; for I am still filled with his blessings each day. I think it is enough to say that it was not easy to become a priestess of Erastil, yet here I am. Perhaps it would have been more difficult had I not discovered Freehold.

The Shamaness showed Tebati the large double doors that led into the church itself, and tapped the large lock softly.

The lock was opened using lockpicks; I hold the only key.

Ntisi opened the large doors to reveal a well structured church inside; a raised stage for preaching and several rows of benches. Carved on the walls were disorganised, simplistic depictions of Erastil and community; some almost child-like in fashion. Ntisi led Tebati behind the altar and pressed on a particular stone; which caused part of the altar to shift and reveal a hidden compartment- now empty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Freehold Town-

In his wandering, Jakob almost failed to spot Salgarth Macini, leant casually against a wooden house and enjoying a ripe green apple. He waved to Jakob merrily, clearly happy to talk if the newly-titled nobleman wished it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zesaste's Home-

Zesaste grinned as Kieran mentioned the hilt of his sword.

An interesting design don't you think? Quite unsettling to wield, at least for the first decade or so. Its a relic from before Earthfall- it only bears a minor enchantment but it was enough for it to survive through the ages. However, I have no idea what the hilt represents. I surmise, perhaps, an early depiction of Rovagug.

After the sparring, Zesaste discussed various sword forms with Kieran, sharing technique and tales. A knock on the door brought a raised eyebrow to the Elf's eye as he excused himself, but he soon returned with Ansha in tow; once again playing the perfect host and pouring a cool drink for her.

If Ansha wants to talk to Zesaste alone you can retcon that in as he gave you the same brief tour he gave Kieran.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

On route to the Caravan (Retcon)-

Kalishah seemed confused for a moment before he realised the mistake N'bellocq had made.

Ah, no my friend that was not the chalice you participated in; although the Trials of Grallus sound deadlier by far than a mere foot race. The Sargavan Chalice is an annual foot race, a tradition going back a few decades now. Although it is merely a race, the competition can be rather deadly. I... I did quite well. I was the runner-up a few years ago, when an exiled Pathfinder won the day. The run itself is exhausting but there were frequent attempts on my life as I ran. I would not want to participate again.

Kalishah turned the conversation away from his own participation, perhaps a little shy to boast.

A new cloak and bow you say? The word on what it is the winners have been asked to do is quite amusing, as well as confusing. The last three rumours I heard- Firstly, that you were to sail a boat and battle the Hurricane King for Sargava. Secondly, that you were to single handedly subdue every Bandu tribe under the banner of a savage that was a member of your team. And finally- that your leader Jakob Mulle was to found a new city on Sargava's northern border. All these rumours do make me curious as to the true mission.


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

At the camp of Jeggare - post ritual:

Qhude speaks back to N'Bellocq while continuing to finish up his preparations, after a slight shake of his head "Not this morning brother... I think it better to hunt hungry. A full belly would make me slow, an empty one helps to keep me sharp." completing his ritual and double checking his chosen weapons before standing.

"Bring many arrows N'Bellocq... our prey will not fall as easily as the stag..." before holding his place until N'Bellocq is ready to accompany him back into Freehold in search of the others.


Male Human (Ijo) Monk 4 (Zen Archer)

on the road
N'bellocq shakes his head in his confusion, "It seems they are always ready to make a garme while the land has so many problems."

at the camp

N'bellocq rubs his belly, "Nah. I am exercising my stomach. I need to make sure it is ready for the huge lizard steak I plan on eating tonight."


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

The Macini Estate-

DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:

Old Deadeye is often thought of as stubborn, slow to change and as you have surmised- chauvinistic. I was first drawn to choose Erastil as my patron when I was merely a child. I grew up in a large family and the ideas of a warm and caring community are close to my heart. Only when I became a young woman did I begin to see the barriers in my way to pursuing my vocation.

Ntisi smiled softly, her eyes distant as she looked into the past with her mind's eye.

I maintain to this day, that none of the barriers in my path were divine; merely crafted by various humanoids. I am something of an oddity within the faith, this is true. To put it simply Tebati, I have a wonderful family and am fulfilled with both my vocation, my husband and my children. My interpretation of Erastil's teachings is that a man and a woman both become something greater than themselves when they are joined. Erastil's disapproval of unmarried women is well known; but less spoken about is the same disapproval of unmarried men. Old Deadeye is old-fashioned and set in his ways; but I do not believe him to be sexist. And surely, my interpretation is acceptable to him; for I am still filled with his blessings each day. I think it is enough to say that it was not easy to become a priestess of Erastil, yet here I am. Perhaps it would have been more difficult had I not discovered Freehold.

"Then you are not native to Freehold?" Tebati asks with some surprise. "Was Erastil worshipped here before you came, or did you establish the temple?"

At the temple of Erastil in Freehold-

DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:

The Shamaness showed Tebati the large double doors that led into the church itself, and tapped the large lock softly.

The lock was opened using lockpicks; I hold the only key.

Ntisi opened the large doors to reveal a well structured church inside; a raised stage for preaching and several rows of benches. Carved on the walls were disorganised, simplistic depictions of Erastil and community; some almost child-like in fashion. Ntisi led Tebati behind the altar and pressed on a particular stone; which caused part of the altar to shift and reveal a hidden compartment- now empty.

Tebati frowns as Ntisi reveals the well-hidden vault. "This is no ordinary robbery. Whoever stole these scrolls knew exactly what they were after and where to find them. You say these scrolls were entrusted to your care? By whom? Who knew that they were in your possession? And who knew of the existence of this hidden compartment and how to uncover it?"


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4
DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:

Zesaste's Home-

Zesaste grinned as Kieran mentioned the hilt of his sword.

An interesting design don't you think? Quite unsettling to wield, at least for the first decade or so. Its a relic from before Earthfall- it only bears a minor enchantment but it was enough for it to survive through the ages. However, I have no idea what the hilt represents. I surmise, perhaps, an early depiction of Rovagug.

After the sparring, Zesaste discussed various sword forms with Kieran, sharing technique and tales. A knock on the door brought a raised eyebrow to the Elf's eye as he excused himself, but he soon returned with Ansha in tow; once again playing the perfect host and pouring a cool drink for her.

Ansha offers Kieran a smile as she enters the room behind Zesaste. She takes a seat near the two, offering her thanks quietly when the other elf pours a drink for her. "I am not interrupting anything, I hope?"


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Qhude gives N'Bellocq a half-smile though his eyes hold no mirth. He remains quiet as they make their way from the caravan and into Freehold proper.


Male Human Haunted Nature Oracle 4 (Ac 20 Cmd 20 Will+4 Ref+2 Fort+4)

An old root twists under Jakob's foot causing him to stumble for a moment and bringing his attention back to his surroundings.

"Well met Salgarth. Enjoying the fruits of your labor I see." Jakob smiles.

I know bad joke but Jakob is a little startled to see him here.

"So what is your view of of the current contretemps?"


Your Humble Narrator

At the temple of Erastil in Freehold-

I established the temple here many years ago, before Freehold had boomed into quite such a large town. When I was able to pass every test the clergy of Erastil had posed for me, they strongly advised me to find my own community to care for. In other words, they wanted me out of sight. Ntisi said, voice dripping with scorn.

The scrolls were entrusted to me as an emergency supply by the temple in Eleder. I have kept them safe here for many years and kept their location a secret; but it is no secret that I have from time to time, been able to produce the right scroll for an emergency.

Zesaste's Home-

Your presence in my abode could hardly be considered an interruption, Ansha Zesaste chided mildly. Kieran simply paid me a visit for leisure, I believe. Unless we have any pressing business to discuss, I was under the impression we were merely three people of Elven descent enjoying a social call. Is it so?

Freehold Streets-

Salgarth had the social graces not to wince at Jakob's pun and managed a small smile.

Its a mess and make no mistake. The whole situation seems to escalate as we learn more about; and once word gets around about the native deaths we may never hear the end of it... Salgarth said with a sigh.

What say we wrap up the social scenes and move on to your evening dinosaur hunt? Its been far too long since Qhude has killed something, I can feel his tension from here ;).


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

At the temple of Erastil in Freehold-

Tebati frowns. "There is nothing else in here to tempt a thief. He must have known the scrolls were here, but how did he find the secret niche? You established the temple," she says to Ntisi. "Who built it? Who included the secret compartment in the altar? Is he still in Freehold? Might he have told someone?"

DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:
What say we wrap up the social scenes and move on to your evening dinosaur hunt? Its been far too long since Qhude has killed something, I can feel his tension from here ;).

Keeping in mind that Mark won't be back from vacation and posting regularly for another 5 or 6 days? I'm fine with jumping ahead; I'm only here because Mindra specifically asked Tebati to be at the meeting with Ntisi. Someone more Perception-y ought to be checking out the scene of the crime, and someone more Diplomacy-y ought to be trying to get her to open up about the pilgrim. Tebati's not really qualified for detective work. :)


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4
DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:

Zesaste's Home-

Your presence in my abode could hardly be considered an interruption, Ansha Zesaste chided mildly. Kieran simply paid me a visit for leisure, I believe. Unless we have any pressing business to discuss, I was under the impression we were merely three people of Elven descent enjoying a social call. Is it so?

Ansha nods. "It's been a long time since I've found the company of other elves. Unfortunately, it's not strictly a social call on my part." She flashes a smile at the elflord. "I'll have to make it up to you later."

Taking a sip of the drink Zesaste provided her, she continues, "I just came from meeting with Ntisi. Apparently there was a burglary at her temple, and several scrolls were stolen--she was hoping that you might be able to use divination magic to determine where they went."


Male Human Haunted Nature Oracle 4 (Ac 20 Cmd 20 Will+4 Ref+2 Fort+4)
DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:

.

What say we wrap up the social scenes and move on to your evening dinosaur hunt? Its been far too long since Qhude has killed something, I can feel his tension from here ;).

Good idea. Leave him frustrated too long and he will turn to drugs and self harm....oh wait. :70

Man in the street Soft conversational voice. "So what is the worst that could happen? Say the northern range is lost and our friend were to suffer an incident during the festival. What would likely happen? I am trying to see where the profit lies here. Why someone would go to this much trouble?"


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Qhude is back in the saddle and ready to hunt dinosaur.
I'm pretty sure N'Bellocq and I are wandering through town looking for the others at present.


Male Half-Elf Fighter 2nd/Rogue 2nd

"A burglary, you say?" The expression on Kieran's face could be described as one of professional curiosity. "Are we talking mundane or magical means? Were the locks picked?"

Taking a moment to think, he adds, "Perhaps I could also take a look. I might be able to find something out, one never knows."


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

Ansha shrugs at Kieran, "Ntisi didn't say. Perhaps you could ask her?"


Your Humble Narrator

At the temple of Erastil in Freehold-

An elderly craftsmen sworn to Erastil's faith included the secret compartment in the design. I recall that he had recently passed away at home in a small village near Kalabuto. I do not believe he would have told anyone about it, but I suppose it is possible... Ntisi reluctantly conceded.

Zesaste's Home-

Zesaste looked less than pleased at the prospect but sighed in acquiescence, telling Ansha he would see to it on the morrow. He seemed extremely uninterested in discussing the burglary.

Freehold Streets-

Salgarth shrugged.

I don't know. Tabansi is a strange target. Perhaps the man simply made some powerful enemies... He did spend some years in the capital. Gambling debts, mayhap?

Salgarth decided to move on shortly afterwards and bid Jakob a fine afternoon. It was not long afterwards that Qhude and N'bellocq came upon Jakob...


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

Zesaste's Home

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 17 Just in case Zesaste is hiding something behind that disinterested facade.

Ansha's lips curl up into a sympathetic smile at Zesaste's displeasure. "Kieran and I should probably attend to this whole lizard business. You have my apologies for the interruption. Perhaps I can stop by again later?" The smile turned a bit crooked as she continued with a flirtatious wink, "For a more... social visit than this one."


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Streets of Freehold:

Qhude offers Jakob a raised chin by means of greeting before asking "Do you know where the others are Jakob? We should make for where the beast was last seen while we have as much light as able."


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

At the temple of Erastil in Freehold-

DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:
An elderly craftsmen sworn to Erastil's faith included the secret compartment in the design. I recall that he had recently passed away at home in a small village near Kalabuto. I do not believe he would have told anyone about it, but I suppose it is possible... Ntisi reluctantly conceded.

Tebati sighs a little impatiently. "Mother, you are determined to think well of everyone, but someone must have committed these crimes. Unless you can persuade yourself that someone in your community is not living up to your standards, your wisdom is of no help to us and we must suspect everyone equally, including those you know to be beyond reproach. While you wish to believe the best of all under your care, are there not some whom you might not be as astonished as others if they proved to be the culprit?"


Male Human Haunted Nature Oracle 4 (Ac 20 Cmd 20 Will+4 Ref+2 Fort+4)
Qhude wrote:

Streets of Freehold:

Qhude offers Jakob a raised chin by means of greeting before asking "Do you know where the others are Jakob? We should make for where the beast was last seen while we have as much light as able."

"Well met Qhude, N'bellocq." Jakob falls into step with the warriors. "I think Tebati was going to speak with the priestess. I seem to remember Ansha wanted to talk with Zesaste. I am not sure where Kieran is. Maybe Tabati knows?


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Streets of Freehold:

Qhude nods as Jakob joins them upon the path "Then let us got to the sangoma, do you know the way to this priestess?" shifting the position of his weaponry to make himself more comfortable. The scar opened upon his chest had closed by this time, leaving a trail of dried weeped blood down his chest and unto his belly.


Male Human Haunted Nature Oracle 4 (Ac 20 Cmd 20 Will+4 Ref+2 Fort+4)

AK. Assuming I've spent long enough in this Village to navigate.

"Yes, the temple is just past the market."

Jakob notes the fresh blood and raises an eyebrow. However seeing as neither Qhude nor N'bellocq comment on it he decides to let it pass.

Jakob leads the bleeding and the well fed through the market, stopping only once to buy 3-4 large ripe mangoes wrapped in a fresh palm leaf satchel.


Your Humble Narrator

Fir simplicity we'll have you hook up once Tebati is satisfied, she has some time still.

At the Temple of Erastil-

Ntisi slowly nodded in acknowledgement of Tebati's words.

You speak truly, Shamaness. Thank you for your wisdom. I admit, I would like to believe that the thief was a stranger and not one of our own... I believe it could be entirely possible that someone simply took an opportunity to search the church discretely during the day; the Temple of Erastil is open for prays and supplication throughout most of the day and is mostly unsupervised. Whoever the thief is, they could not have smuggled the scrolls out in the day without magic. But they could have potentially found the stash. It is known that the Temple is reasonably prosperous in Sargava.

She thought for a long time before finally answering Tebati.

I do not entirely trust Zesaste Talathel. His studies of magic seem to hint at a deep knowledge of the divine as well as the arcane; at least on some level. He has a motive in that the scroll stash would no doubt interest him... and the Elf has no community spirit at all. He hides it well behind his pleasantries, but he is selfish to his core.

As I requested that he prepare a spell to locate the scrolls, a small part of me wondered if he was responsible. I had hoped to gauge his reaction to the request myself but he was not present. I suppose that if I had to name a suspect based purely on motive and character... I would name him.


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

Tebati nods her head. "Thank you for your counsel, Mother. If the two crimes are not unrelated and the thief specifically took the scrolls so that you could not use them to help Tabansi be rid of his curse, do you know of any grudge Zesaste has against Tabansi in particular? Or any reason his removal as head rancher would benefit the elf?"

When Ntisi has responded, I'm ready to get the party back together and move on.


Your Humble Narrator

I cannot think of a particular motive for Zesaste to have cursed him. Perhaps he is in cahoots with someone else... But Tabansi is well liked. I find it hard to believe this is about attacking him personally. Maybe it has something to do with shares on the council; perhaps Zesaste stands to gain somehow...

Meanwhile, Ansha and Kieran eventually tracked down Tebati at the church. By a twist of fate, Qhude, N'bellocq and Jakob arrived shortly after...

Sorry for the weak tie in but i'd just like to get you together again swiftly :).


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Qhude gives each of his umkhaya a stoic nod as they rejoin one another. "So... do we hunt the beast, or has your talking unearthed a different prey?"


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

I'm assuming Ansha's Sense Motive of 17 above didn't give her any reason to doubt Zesaste's intentions?

Ansha smiles at Tebati as she and Kieran rejoin the shamaness. "Your request has been delivered, Ntisi," the elf says.

As Qhude, N'bellocq and Jakob arrive, she greets them with the same smile with which she greeted Tebati. "There's a possibility or two, but not enough to act just yet," she responds to Qhude.


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

Tebati smiles at Kieran as he and Ansha arrive at the church. "With your permission, Mother, his eyes will see more than mine," she tells Ntisi, quietly closing the hidden niche in the altar. "Kieran, there were scrolls stolen from a secret compartment, and the shamaness says the locks were picked. Come and see how quickly you can find the hiding place." She steps away, curious to see how long it will take a stranger to the temple to discover and open the vault.

Waiting with Ansha at the door, she greets her cousin and the others as they arrive. "We hunt the beast," she replies to Qhude, "but unless we can find either the culprit or the shamaness' scrolls, we will have to kill every animal on the plains to protect Tabansi and his livelihood, including the ranch's cattle."


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Qhude nods at Tebati's words and sighs "Aye Sangoma, but at the least if we end the great lizard... time might be bought for further talk." Scratching his neck with his right hand uncomfortably as though struggling with a delicate internal thought Qhude adds "I have also invited the gnome Cru-tho-ni-ax to join us... he has given great nets, that might be used to catch the beast..."


Male Human Haunted Nature Oracle 4 (Ac 20 Cmd 20 Will+4 Ref+2 Fort+4)

Eyebrow raised in surprise Jakob turns to Qhude.
"You do not want to kill the beast? I thought you would be the first to want it's blood. I applaud the use of nets. Alive it might tell us more than we could learn from a corpse."


Male Half-Elf Fighter 2nd/Rogue 2nd

Kieran returns Tebati's smile and then turns to look at the one called Ntisi, offering the woman a slight bow of his head in greeting, the smile still gracing his face. "Oh? Well, that does sound like both a game and a challenge," he quips in his usual, almost flippant, tone. "How lucky then that I am quite fond of such things."

Without another word, the half-elf gets to work, so to speak, as he starts to look around, examining the altar with not only his eyes, but his hands as well, as he runs his fingertips over its surface, looking for any irregularities that should not be there.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (10) + 8 = 18
Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

Far as I can tell, I can only take 20 on a Perception check if I am looking for traps, which is not the case here. And if I recall, I can try again if I have reason to believe there is something there even if nothing is found the first time, so I thought to provide a few rolls just in case.


Your Humble Narrator

You can take 20 if you wish on any perception check, obviously it takes a long time to do the entire church that way. Let me know if you want to do that.


Male Half-Elf Fighter 2nd/Rogue 2nd

You do have a point. I think he will be trying it the old-fashioned way, i.e. rolling. After all, I do not picture Kieran as that patient.


Male Human (Ijo) Monk 4 (Zen Archer)

"Nets or no. I do not see it going peacefully. There will be blood enough.


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Qhude shakes his head at Jakob's words "I doubt that even this net will hold the beast for long... we need only hold it long enough for it to be bled. I am sorry Jakob... but I walk with death upon my mind."


Male Human Haunted Nature Oracle 4 (Ac 20 Cmd 20 Will+4 Ref+2 Fort+4)

"Understood, and accepted. We might well have to kill it but I have a bit of a knack with beasts. If we can, if it will not endanger the group, I would like to approach it first and try to calm it. If we can lead it farther away into the forest then the ranch will be safe. Besides if we can find the bastard who did this I would not be opposed to introducing them to the beast."

"But if we have to kill it we have to kill it."


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Qhude regards Jakob with a steady and unflinching gaze for a hand of seconds before speaking carefully "It is your choice... but know that if you walk before us and the beast turns it will likely kill you before we can stop it."

2,451 to 2,500 of 4,152 << first < prev | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM AK's Sargavan Saga All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.