Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Alexander Kilcoyne's Sargavan Saga

Game Master Alexander Kilcoyne

"What is this place? Puzzles in Azlant, more magic than you see in a year in Absalom. Wheels literally within wheels. Bound demons and wax golems? The expense must have been enormous. But why? To what end?"

Jakob

Battle Map (R3, I22) | Kingdom Rules | SRD Reference | Pyramid, Level 1 | Pyramid, Level 2 |


2,201 to 2,250 of 3,716 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>

Male Human Haunted Nature Oracle 4 (Ac 20 Cmd 20 Will+4 Ref+2 Fort+4)
Qhude wrote:
Qhude is bone tired, but pleased as he and N'bellocq return to the camp of Jeggare. With dead impala still astride his shoulders he thumps his chest with a bloodied and be-roped fist in lieu of a handshake of greeting to Jeggare and Jakob. "N'bellocq shot well, and there is plenty of meat to eat tonight." before finding out that they were to attend another this evening. Brow furrowing momentarily as he considers, Qhude takes the invitation at face value - replying with a nod of assent "I will come" before ushering N'bellocq to follow to the area of the wagon train set aside for the kitchens.

"Congradulations to you both then. I wonder if our hosts would welcome some of the meat? It is sometimes traditional for a guest to send food ahead of them so as not to strain the hosts larder. I am sure that there will be plenty but should you wish to make the gesture I am also sure it would be welcome."

Jakob appears for the dinner in his worn travelling clothes. He knows that doing so is a bit of an insult but fitting for his status as one of the landed poor.


Male Human (Ijo) Monk 4 (Zen Archer)

N'bellocq pats his stomach, "I have been busy today making room. I was looking forward to the roast impala tonight. But if the food is to be similar to that served in the tavern, I think I will survive the night."

N'bellocq is bathed and wearing the bright striped shirt and long shorts that he purchased yesterday. He will take his weapons, but his bow will be in his quiver, loose strung.


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4
Kieran Markavien wrote:
"I can think of no occasion that I would be... mortified to be seen with you," Kieran says sincerely, before his tone becomes a little more teasing. "Though I do hope you will not think too ill of me when I say that it is not the clothes that interest me so much, but what is underneath them?"

"I think I should be concerned were it otherwise," she murmurs back. "After all, half the pleasure of seeing you in your fine clothes is the prospect of seeing you out of them later."

Qhude wrote:
Grunting Qhude states simply "Hopefully she offers more than merely words... I have not eaten since before the dawn and bear a monstrous hunger"
Kieran Markavien wrote:
"Having seen N'bellocq's appetite, friend, and hearing you say this," the rogue quips with a barely supressed chuckle, "I am starting to fear that whatever food will be waiting for us might not be enough."
N'bellocq wrote:
N'bellocq pats his stomach, "I have been busy today making room. I was looking forward to the roast impala tonight. But if the food is to be similar to that served in the tavern, I think I will survive the night."

Tebati laughs. "It seems Mindra Macini will pay handsomely in victuals merely for the privilege of delivering her proposition to us. We may find ourselves enough in her debt after emptying her pantry that we have no choice but to do as she asks, merely to repay her for the meal."


Your Humble Narrator

With the sun going down, the winners of the Trial of Grallus made their way north towards the large ranch building. It was a fairly impressive stone estate- surrounded on all sides by rancher's houses. It dwarfed every other building in the community, but appeared to not only be a home for Mindra Macini; it seemed to also function as storage, barracks for the town guard and offices for the administrative arm of the ranch industry.

The group was met by a Zenj servant who seemed to have little interest in conversation other than a polite greeting. He led them through the front door of the building, down a long corridor adorned with carefully preserved portraits of several generations of Macini's and through a fine wooden door- into a long dining room.

Sat at the head of the table was Mindra Macini; even if her place at the table had not hinted of this, the resemblance to the portraits the group passed was clear- the Macini's had a very distinct family nose. The matriarch of the Macini ranch, arguably the matriarch of Freehold itself, was a plain looking white human woman, somewhere into her late thirties or early forties. Her clothes were functional- clean but no-nonsense. She wore precious little jewellery and were it not for the finery of what little the group had seen of the house, she might even have been mistaken for a cook or maid.

Sat on her left at the far end of the table, was a Mauxi man- extremely tall and almost grey-skinned rather than the usual dark you would associate with a Mwangi man. Qhude recognised him immediately as Mitabu the Guard Captain. He wore his badge of office over a loose outfit of robes and his steel Terbutje was visible.

On Mindra's right, a handsome Zenj man in his early thirties sat. He looked a little nervous at the dining table, as though he was not used to such a formal social occasion. His clothes were well-made but not particularly fine.

To Mitabu's right sat another familiar face, and it wore a wrinkled scowl unashamedly directed at Qhude. The elderly Halfling innkeeper Bellis Mara was also present, attired almost exactly as she had been in the inn. As her gaze encompassed the six guests, she graced everyone except Qhude with her usual, dour frown.

To the right of the Zenj, the near timeless face of an Elf man sized up the group without emotion. With high cheekbones and long silver hair that was gracefully tied into a sleek ponytail, the man who surely must be the town wizard, Zesaste Talathel, carried himself with an effortless poise and dignity; it seemed likely to Ansha that he had grown up at court somewhere or perhaps had served as court wizard. He wore sleek purple robes with long sleeves and nodded politely in greeting to the group.

Mindra herself rose to her feet to greet her guests, crossing the room in a quick stride to shake hands and extend a curtsy.

My, what fine attire! she remarked in delight, looking at Kieran, Jakob, Ansha and Tebati's clothing in admiration. It would seem that between the twelve of us we will have quite some diversity will we not! she continued cheerfully as she winked at Qhude in his shorts. Welcome to my home! I'm so glad you are here to join us on such short notice. Do be seated and we'll make introductions shall we. As soon as my cousin Salgarth arrives, we'll begin the first course. I rarely have occasion to fully seat this table so i've had quite a meal prepared. Bellis tells me that some of you have voracious appetites. Sit, sit! she insisted as she pulled up chairs for any who seemed hesitant.


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

Ansha finds herself falling back into the formal mannerisms of the court as she follows with the group into the dining room. She smiles and dips into a shallow curtsey at the compliment Mindra pays her attire. Her emerald eyes sweep over the hall's other occupants, resting for half a moment upon Zesaste. The enchantress attempts to carefully control her surprise at seeing another elf, despite having known of Zesaste's existence since the party's arrival in Freehold. She finds herself unable to draw her eyes entirely away from the other elf. Having seen his mannerisms and method of presentation now, she finds her mind filling with questions--and unpleasant associations. Nonetheless, she tries to force them out of her mind as she takes a step forward to formally address the Macini matriarch.

"On behalf of all my companions, I would like to thank you for your hospitality, milady," Ansha says, curtseying more deeply to Mindra. "We were hardly expecting such a warm welcome, having only newly arrived in Freehold. But how could we refuse an invitation from such an august hostess?" She is hesitant to sit, having somehow expected seating arrangements. But she overcomes the hesitation quickly, deliberately choosing to seat herself next to Zesaste and smoothing her gown under her as she does so. Glancing at Zesaste only briefly, she offers a soft smile to the elf. "Milord," she greets him quietly, feeling very much like a child next to the older elf.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (10) + 11 = 21
Knowledge (nobility) about Zesaste: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28

Also, AK, did you get that PM I sent you?


Your Humble Narrator

I did, sorry Ansha it slipped my mind. I actually meant to type up something along the lines of that your merchant "friend" actually sought you out with a gift of perfume costing 25GP but I got so focused on describing the current scene I missed it. Please assume it happened "behind the curtain" for simplicity. Whats the diplomacy for? Improving attitude? Whose attitude? :)


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Qhude is not the first to enter the dining hall, but neither is he last. Unfamiliar with any social conventions to follow, he instead stands firm and touches fist to chest. "Sawubona, I am Qhude of the Bas'o." making sure to meet gaze with each of the guests in turn before his eyes settle upon Bellis Mara... noting the manner in which the old woman regards him, though he pays it scant mind for now.

He stands behind a seat in the midst of the table, but does not yet sit.

Sawubona - greetings


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

Tebati flashes Kieran a look of mild surprise at Ansha's demure behavior, being more used to the elf-woman's tendency to own a room, but quickly turns her attention back to the welcome they are receiving. Inclining her head in respect to Mindra, she replies politely, "We are honored by your invitation."

She hadn't been expecting so many people, obviously not related to the Macini family. Looking over those already seated, she lets her eyes run swiftly and coolly past Bellis Mara and is doubly glad Qhude is in attendance, before her gaze settles on the somewhat ill-at-ease Zenj man. She offers him a warm and friendly smile but hesitates: She is most interested in meeting the Zenj, but he is inaccessible, sandwiched between the ranch owner and the elf. Glancing expectantly up at Kieran, she waits to see where he will choose to seat them.


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4
DM AK wrote:
Whats the diplomacy for? Improving attitude? Whose attitude? :)

I dunno, it just seemed appropriate for a formal greeting. So presumably, every one of the dinner guests' attitudes. Her main focus is on Mindra and Zesaste, though.


Your Humble Narrator

One check per person, so i'll interpret is as a check to influence Zesaste for now. More from me later.


Male Human Haunted Nature Oracle 4 (Ac 20 Cmd 20 Will+4 Ref+2 Fort+4)

Jakob bows deeply to the assembled. "Thank you for inviting wayfarers such as ourselves to your table."

Taking the seat indidcated He continues. "N'bellocq and I spoke with your cousin the other night at the Lion's Maw, lady Macini. He seemed quite interested that we felt welcome in Freehold. I for one am quite happy that Mister Jeggere chose to stop here."

Kn.Nobles to ID the nervous Zenj man. 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8. Ah obviously the knives and boots boy. Little long in the tooth for the position but you take what you can get in the provinces I suppose.


Male Half-Elf Fighter 2nd/Rogue 2nd

"If I may simply echo my friends' sentiment," Kieran says with a bow of his head and a smile, "and say that I am honored to be here, you will not begrudge me this lack of originality, I hope?"

"I think making sure Qhude and Bellis are not quite so close to each other is a wise move, yes?" The words are spoken in a hushed tone to Tebati, just as the half-elf makes his way towards the halfling proprietess, looking to seat himself next to her and have the Mwangi priestess sit next to himself.


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

Tebati follows Kieran to the table and does her part to create a demilitarized zone between Bellis Mara and the Bas'o contingent of the party.


Male Human (Ijo) Monk 4 (Zen Archer)

N'bellocq inclines his head when Jacob mentions his name. Looking around he wonders if he was supposed to buy more clothes...but that seems silly. They are in the jungle and an savanna. Why would anyone want more clothes?

He passes some time during the talking to watch the staff and try to follow any clues to the preparation of the feast tonight.


Your Humble Narrator

Mindra Macini seemed pleased with Tebati and Ansha's statements. Zesaste looked at Ansha with a steady gaze as his eyes met hers.

Lady Ansha he acknowledged with a nod in a quiet, steady & smooth voice.

Zesaste's attitude to Ansha is now Friendly for the remainder of the dinner (checks to influence attitude typically last 1d4 hours but i'd rather just say 'for the dinner' in this instance).

Ansha:

The Talathel family is quite a prominent Elven family based in Iadara. They are one of the more outspoken of the great families and are ambitious, both on a personal and macro-level. They frequently call for greater efforts to reclaim long-lost Elven lands and settlements since before Earthfall, a permanent solution to the hated Treerazer. They are also generally one of the greatest supporters of the human-run settlement of Greengold, and insist that the city's continued prosperity is a sign that humans could be fully brought into the fold as part of the nation of Kyonin. In particular, many of the Talathel's are proud warrior-wizards, a legacy that affords them great respect in Kyonin. Most of their wizard's are transmutation specialists with some of them as skilled in sword as they are with magic.

They are known to include humans among their honour guards and soldiers and some say that the quick-lived men have rubbed off on the family, who now seem hasty and too quick to make decisions to many other noble families. The influence the Talathel's have on the court is undeniable though; they are among a small handful of families powerful enough to regularly have their demands personally reviewed by the Queen herself. They surround themselves with continual political conflict and seem to thrive on it.

Well met, Qhude. Please, do be seated Mindra insisted at Qhude's introduction as she pulled up a chair for him while Tebati and Kieran wisely made a buffer between his chosen seat and Bellis Mara's.

The handsome Zenj smiled back at Tebati in greeting but his eyes quickly averted from hers after they met.

Mindra took her seat again before she responded to Jakob.

Salgarth spoke highly of both you and your companion, Jakob. All members here on the council want your group to feel welcome- Jeggare is a great patron of Freehold and as he graced you with his trust and friendship, we too will grace you with outs.

Macini smiled graciously at Kieran and reassured him Some sentiments are overused for good reason.

Once everyone had been seated, Mindra made the introductions.

As you may or may not be aware, we represent the ruling council of Freehold. Many of you have already met Bellis Mara, innkeeper of the finest inn in middle Sargava.

She introduced the handsome Zenj man next and introduced the others as well in quick succession.

This gentleman here is the Head Rancher, Tabansi the Zenj man smiled politely. Our Elven friend is Zesaste Talathel, the town wizard the silver-haired Elf rose to his feet without missing a beat and bowed courteously. A longsword with a purple gem set into its hilt was visible in its sheath as he rose. The Guard Captain of Freehold here is Mitabu she gestured to the extremely tall Mauxi man who did not deign to express his own greetings.

Salgarh Macini made an entrance from a side door just as Mindra had finished her introductions. The hostess smiled at him and said-

A couple of your party have already met my cousin Salgarth.

Indeed- my friend Rutilus and I shared a drink and an evening with some esteem-able company last night in the Maw. I apologise for my tardiness he said as he took the only remaining seat at the other head of the table, beside Qhude and Jakob. He was dressed in a very similar manner to many of the noble men you were with in the Palace in Eleder; the same kind of fashionable and slightly rustic clothing.

Sense Motive DC20:

Mindra's smile to Salgarth seemed a little forced- her eyes betrayed her.

N'bellocq observed the servants as introductions were made- they seemed to already be bringing out food to be served on ornate silver platters- so far, the hungry Bonuwat's eyes had feasted upon several different types of bread, both brown and white, as well as a large cauldron of chicken stew and two large pots full of vegetable soup. Bowls of fruit, primarily bananas and melons, were also brought onto the long dining room table as well as tarts filled with spiced pork. Steaming hot mulled wine was offered as a beverage as well as water, warm cider and orange juice.

Qhude and N'bellocq must be hungry after the hunt Mindra noted with a soft smile. We can speak of business after we've enjoyed the first course. For now, I suggest we get to know each other a little better she proposed as she waved a servant over to bring her some tarts. I'm afraid my husband is on business in Kalabuto, or he would be most interested to hear how your hunt went today. Did you bring down anything worth boasting about?

For my own sake as much as anyone else's, heres the seating arrangements in visual format. Scale-wise, everyone is grouped up quite close together.

Link


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

Sense Motive 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 5

Swear I'm picking up Additional Traits and taking Holy Schemer.

Ansha accepts a glass of hot mulled wine. Breathing on it to cool it a bit, she observes the others at the table silently. So this is the man Mindra is supposed to be having an affair with, she thinks as her gaze passes over Tabansi. Not bad taste in men, if so.


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Qhude beckons a servant near to him, and makes a request for a loaf of brown bread and asks the man to leave one pot of the soup on the table near to him so that he might refill the small bowl before him on his own without troubling the servant further. He has only water brought to drink.

Salgarth's arrival is met with a nod of his head.

To the question posed by their host he gives a shrug of his shoulders "Two impala only... nothing worthy of boast" scratching idly at the scar radiating from his right breast a moment before tearing hunks of brown bread roughly from the loaf to soak in the soup. He then begins to slowly eat... thankfully using the spoon provided.

His voice is not yet turned to speaking at any length as the burning hole in his gullet o'erwhelms his thoughts - but he does listen...


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

Quietly, so as to not interrupt Mindra's conversation, Ansha asks Zesaste in Elven: "Mankoi na lye sinome e Laingaro, herunya?"

Elven:
"What brings you here to Freehold, milord?"


Male Human Haunted Nature Oracle 4 (Ac 20 Cmd 20 Will+4 Ref+2 Fort+4)

Sense motive 1d20 ⇒ 7. Blast.

Qhude wrote:
"Two impala only... nothing worthy of boast"

"We did manage to see off a pair of Ankheg on the way to Freehold. Qhude and N'bellocq missed that fight though." "They were busy convincing a tribe of Angazhan worshiping Bandu to return our cook unharmed."

Jakob takes a sip of the mulled wine.

"It was a busy day."

Jakob turns to Salgrath. "I meant to ask you this before, Salgrath but when did you get back from Elander?"


Your Humble Narrator

Zesaste replied to Ansha in Elven- Ai kaern sosaer. Caesi, Ai tal paelyri tia sosti sai vaeraes eil oraes sal tylor sherolaer, Ai eis tyria jhaes sai tia orn paelolaer. Ai't mystaerol os eil aezaes ol Salerarol tandros o mi, maelorolalia veirolar aelalaestael.

Elven:

I grew tired of politics. Here, I can devote my time to research and other than council business, I am mostly left to my own devices. I'm something of an expert on Transmutation magic you see, specifically physical enhancement.

Mindra and the rest of the council eagerly began to eat as well. Mindra smiled in appreciation of Jakob's words while Mitabu looked on at Qhude and N'bellocq in what could have been approval.

These two stories are already well known in Freehold. You brought a lot of excitement to our humble town.

Salgarth replied to Jakob-

I make regular trips on behalf of the ranch, but i've been settled in Freehold for the last year. Its been a fine home to return to after many years in Eleder.

Mindra's cousin turned his attention to Qhude, beside him.

I don't know much about the Bas'o. Could you tell me about your people?


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

On the assumption that introductions have already been made, Ansha only introduces herself by her given name. Whether that's enough for Talathel to determine who she is, I dunno.

Ansha smiles wryly, setting aside her wine glass to take a sip of the soup placed in front of her. Dabbing at her mouth with the napkin provided, she asks, "Sintan sui i mir ened ernan. Alsinten gonathruvalye a echilrim, awarthuva edhelrim. Manka na ta?"

Elven:
"I too know the value of simply being left alone. I am surprised that you would entangle yourself with human politics, having left elven politics behind, though. Why is that?"


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Qhude's eyes flicker up to Mitabu at his words... which are neutral enough to make him feel a slight shiver at the memory... and what came before it... cruelty and death. The demon ape... is his gaze truly upon me. His eyes go from the guardsman to Tebati across from him... remembering her words of the dawn thereafter...

Tebati wrote:
"Angazhan may covet you but he cannot command you without your assent"

He adds to Mitabu's statement in a tired flat voice "There was much death that day..." before Salgarth's interruption gives him a welcome diversion... though not without it's own remembered sorrow.

"I am surprised that you do not already know of the Bas'o... the Mneri plains that are our home is but a short distance to the South and East. We are a tribe of the plains, moving across it akin to the herds that are followed and hunted. The worth of a man is measured in his arm and upon his breast." putting his spoon down to trace a couple of the jagged ill-healed masses of scar tissue that cross his skin "Each imaki is a death dealt that is worthy of remembering."

imaki - mark of quality (loose bastardization of term)


Your Humble Narrator

Time went by as the guests talked and enjoyed the first course of the meal.

Ansha's quiet conversation in Elven continued, although Bellis Mara scowled openly at the pair and cleared her throat loudly and pointedly. Zesaste glanced at her but chose to continue replying in Elven for a few more sentences.

Air tasti shor si val masaer. Tia kaer iali Jhys Talathel kalaer ti ei caeria vesi eil syr ti sai mael sosti eistyl byl-Aelaer. Ailaerol ailai ei cestal-vel sherolaer air baesia jhelaroli; ael ei thaern mys os Ai cali eilaedia tadi ei vyror.

Elven:

It came with the ranch shares. My great uncle Lord Talathel granted me a hefty purse and told me to spend time among non-Elves. Investing into a human-run business is very lucrative; in a few short years I have already made a profit.

Zesaste then turned to express himself to the whole table.

I have not had a chance to converse in my own tongue for some time he said, as though the statement itself was an acceptable apology. Mother or father? he suddenly asked Kieran, as he regarded his features with a scrutinising eye.

Salgarth listened politely to Qhude's description and shrugged a little at his own ignorance.

You'll have to forgive my lack of local knowledge. In Eleder, one Mwangi is alike to another to a white man I suppose. You Bas'o sound a bit pre-Aroden to me but i'm certain you would make fearsome foes to cross judging by your scars, am I right? he asked.

Sense Motive DC17:

At the other end of the table, Mindra looked close to wincing at her cousin's words but regained her composure as she poured Tabansi some mulled wine.

Mindra spoke quietly to Mitabu the guard captain before calling out to the middle of the table.

Tebati? Would you mind swapping seats with my friend Mitabu here for a time? she asked cheerfully. He would like to talk about hunting and the like with your kinsmen.

The Mauxi man nodded to confirm his desire.

Sense Motive DC14:

Mitabu's nod was a little slow and not particularly natural. It seems obvious to you that it was a convenient excuse for Mindra to get Tebati over to her side of the table.

Bellis Mara began a conversation with Zesaste about some of her personal cattle and seemed to be inquiring as to whether there was any way the town wizard could augment their growth over the course of several years. The Elf seemed to be enjoying himself by never quite giving the innkeeper a straight answer, much to the halfling's frustration. She turned to Tabansi instead and asked him-

Tabansi- are you planning on sharing your own "hunting" story?

The Zenj man looked a little embarrassed and the matron did her best to reassure him, albeit in a belligerent, irritated voice.

Oh don't be like that you young fool, what were you supposed to do? Run at the thing with a spear? Theres no cowardice in fleeing from something like that.


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

Sense Motive: 1d20 ⇒ 13
Sense Motive #2: 1d20 ⇒ 7

Ansha nods understandingly at Zesaste's words. She gives Bellis her best 'innocent' smile as the elderly halfling glowers at the two elves and falls silent as the conversation moves past her. She giggles quietly at the exchange between Zesaste and Bellis, hiding it behind a sip of her wine.

Only when the halfling brings up Tabansi's 'hunting' incident is her interest piqued again, and she raises an eyebrow at the ranch hand. "Please, do tell."


Your Humble Narrator

There was a slightly awkward silence at Ansha's request. Tabansi looked to Mindra, who pursed her lips and sighed, eyes ablaze at the Halfling matroness. She spoke and Tabansi nodded along with her words-

I had hoped for lighter conversation until the main course but it seems Bellis has forced this to come out a little earlier. The task we seek to employ you for is to slay a beast- a mighty carapaced animal, the like of which no one in Freehold has ever seen before so close to the town. Our hunters and town guard have been able to do little but drive it back and not before it kills dozens of cattle. Tabansi has been most unfortunate- the beast has attacked three times and each time it has been in one of his northern ranch sectors. He and the other ranchers under his supervision were forced to flee only a few days ago after it abandoned cattle meat to pursue them.


Male Half-Elf Fighter 2nd/Rogue 2nd

"Mother," Kieran replies with a faint smile, seemingly unperturbed by the elven mage's question. After all, people have been curious about his heritage before, even if not in quite such a direct manner.

"She is -or was- a Varisian elf, though not quite as...," he continues, pausing as if looking for the correct word, "...as noble as you, Lord Talathel. My father is somewhat of a nobleman though, seeing as how he belongs to one of the Houses of Brevoy, albeit a minor one."

Even though he is talking with Zesaste, as well as enjoying the fine foods and drinks, the half-elf keeps his eyes and ears alert, doing his best to see if there is more to the various words and mannerisms of those gathered at the table than meets the eye. Thus, he notices both Mindra's wincing at Salgarth's words aimed at Qhude, as well as the fact that Mitabu's nod is a little too slow to be a natural response to Mindra's invitation towards Tebati.

"I think our host would very much like to talk to you," Kieran whispers to the priestess. "So much that she would not mind a little change in seating arrangements, it seems."

Sense Motive 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
Sense Motive 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Sense Motive #1: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14
Sense Motive #2: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19

Salgarth wrote:
You'll have to forgive my lack of local knowledge. In Eleder, one Mwangi is alike to another to a white man I suppose. You Bas'o sound a bit pre-Aroden to me but i'm certain you would make fearsome foes to cross judging by your scars, am I right?

Qhude's eyes narrow at Salgarth's words... not quite sure if offense was intended toward him or not. Instead he replies in a neutral but strained tone "You would do well to learn umalusi, lest you greet one of the Bandu or Ombo with a smile..." pausing a few moments in eye contact to take a further measure of the man "And yes, if you sought to make foes of the Bas'o then you should expect an isitha-nolaka"

umalusi - herder
isitha-nolaka - fierce enemy

Qhude listens to Mindra's story and racks his limited knowledge of nature to ken the essence of the foe...

Knowledge Nature: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (17) + 6 = 23 to ID Tabansi's carapaced foe


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

Sense Motive 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (12) + 7 = 19
Sense Motive 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24

Tebati meets Kieran's eyes and gives a slight nod, having reached the same conclusion. She briefly squeezes his hand under the table as she pushes back her chair and gets to her feet. Before moving around the table to their hostess's side, however, she pauses and addresses Selgarth. "Ansha recently expressed much the same confusion," she tells him, "but she broadened the category of those she can't tell one from another to all humans." With a smile across the table at Ansha, she moves behind Kieran, Bellis, and the Zenj man to take the chair Mindra indicated as Mitabu vacates it.

Her new seat allows her the opportunity to look across the table directly at Tabansi, as he casts his eyes to the table in embarrassment. "This is no mere beast. What animal abandons plentiful, defenseless meat to chase after smaller and more dangerous tidbits? This is something with intelligence -- and hatred."


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

Ansha grins wryly at Tebati's remark. Her expression softens to a faint smile as Tabansi's story comes out. She glances at Zesaste, then to Mindra before her gaze rests on Tabansi. "That sounds a bit like an ankheg," she remarks. "Based on what little description we've been given, and the environment around Freehold. Perhaps you could describe in more detail?"

Knowledge (arcana) to recognize what precisely Tabansi's beast is: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15


Male Human Haunted Nature Oracle 4 (Ac 20 Cmd 20 Will+4 Ref+2 Fort+4)

Sense motive 1d20 ⇒ 19, and again 1d20 ⇒ 7. Kn. Nature to see if anything springs to mind 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11. Oh dear.

"It is unusual for an animal to make such an aggressive defense of a kill but not unknown. Since these attacks are a new occurrence it must be seeking to challenge you for control of the territory. This would make it more aggressive than normal. Or it might not be bright enough to know when to stop. Like the story of the lemmings and the weasel."

"Tell me Mr. Tabansi have you expanded your ranchland in the past year or so? Or closed off any creeks? Something drove it to attack setteled land and a small innocent change made by us can create a existential threat to a beast."


Your Humble Narrator

The first course continued as the discussion became more heated, with questions asked and theories put forward- and all the while Zesaste calmly continued his conversation with Kieran.

Nobility lies in an Elf's heart, not his social standing Zesaste replied to Kieran graciously with a raised glass of wine. Brevoy hmm? Was your father one of those "Swordlord" types that like to claim they are the handiest blades in Avistan? he asked, challenging the assumption pridefully with the very tone of his question.

Salgarth cocked his head at Qhude curiously and replied with confusion written on his face.

Umalusi? Isn't that what the Mwangi herders refer to themselves as? Oh, I see your mistake. I'm not a rancher, heavens no. I haven't got the calluses for such a physical job. I'm more of the ranch's "salesman" I suppose, along with cousin Mindra's husband. Well, i'll raise a glass to Bas'o warrior spirit then hmm? he finished and raised his own glass to hold it half-way between himself and Qhude. He also laughed good-naturedly at Tebati's passing comment, perhaps assuming it was meant as a joke.

Mitabu got up to allow Tebati his chair and pulled it back for her in a chivalrous manner, then moved to sit next to Kieran and N'bellocq, directly opposite Jakob. He helped himself to a large slice of melon and ate with gusto, nodding a greeting to N'bellocq beside him.

The slightly shy Tabansi found himself suddenly bombarded with questions and did his best to tell the tale. He was a little quiet at first but his rose grew in volume when he realised people at the other end of the table were also interested. He spoke in Taldane and seemed well practised in it-

Not an Ankheg no Ansha- much, much bigger. Its back was armoured with thick, bony plates- and none of our spears could pierce it. Its mouth could swallow a calf whole and the animal was the length of four or five tall men! he exclaimed. It must weigh more than half of my herd and it swatted grown oxen aside with powerful swings of its spiked tail! Often, my poor cattle would be left so senseless by the blow they would simply lie motionless only for it to feed on them moments later.

Tabansi looked quite upset as he continued and told of the attacks on his herd thus far.

The first time it came, the animal knocked aside several of my cattle without warning and was within bow-shot of me and my men. I truly thought it must be hungry for the cattle feed I was stood near and ran for my life. The Zenj looked a little ashamed at the admission but Bellis thumped him on the arm to remind him of her words with a tiny fist.

The town guard and I returned to fight it, but it was all we could do to drive it off to the north. It didn't seem interested in a fight truthfully, it was the strangest thing. It mostly ignored our arrows and spears and left with an ox in its mouth, with several already eaten or killed.

The second attack- I wasn't present for, for I was running errands for Mindra inside the ranch itself. By the time I heard the commotion and arrived on the scene, it had slain one Zenj rancher and made off with another ox; the men described how it all but ignored the oxen again until after it had slain Muloon.

Mindra interjected here to say- He was with us here for many years. His home has been granted to his family and they are well provided for. A tragedy nevertheless.

Tabansi nodded and continued. The third time, was most suspicious. It was then that I began to think I had been cursed. Tabansi's face paled and he looked frightened even now.

I had led a work team to make repairs to a northern fence (although by this point we had men posted to keep an eye out for it) that was found sabotaged the same morning and to gather the loose cattle back inside who had escaped during the night. The beast came out of the jungle and despite the warnings of my men and the fact we immediately withdrew- it chased ME all the way to a work-shed on the edge of the main ranch building. I snuck out of a rear window just before the beast smashed the shed to splinters to get at me- I watched it while I hid nearby.

Tabansi looked at Tebati before him and took her hands.

I agree with this woman he proclaimed. It did not act like an animal should- why would it single me out like that? What foul curse has been wrought upon my head?

Zesaste chimed in-

Perhaps its a vengeful animal brought to sentience by a foolish Druid. Such magic is not unheard of amongst the higher practitioners. Did you try talking to it?

Tebansi almost spluttered in amazement at the remark but shook his head, apparently not wanting to discount the possibility and refute the town wizard. Salgarth snorted in contempt at the other end of the table.

Curses? Sentient beasts? I think you are over-complicating this. By our own admission, we're not even sure what this animal is! By your own description it sounds more like a beast born of magic and who is to say what strange instincts and senses it follows? For all we know, it might simply have picked up your scent as particularly delicious, Tabansi! Salgarth posit bluntly. Mindra did not look impressed and this time, made no effort to disguise her feelings.

Salgarth, that is enough! You've hardly involved yourself with this issue until now- how dare you be so dismissive to Tabansi? For shame!

Suitably chastised, Salgarth muttered an apology to the Zenj man and moved over to pour his drink for him in an attempt to mend any bridges he might have just started to burn. Tabansi looked less than offended and simply looked a little frightened still. He moved on to Jakob's query, the last to have been asked.

Our ranch holds are simple areas of hill and grass and we use fences to separate herds. There is an small area of jungle near the northern boundary but we haven't moved or expanded our zones for four seasons or more. It seems to lair somewhere within.

Bellis Mara spoke up next.

I've heard talk from travellers that a tribe of the Bandu have migrated into that jungle. Those religious savages more than likely have something to do with this, mark my words... she seethed.

Whatever it is, it must be slain. It does not matter whose tool it is- a tool that powerful cannot be used against us Mitabu said grimly.

Mindra summarised.

Your fee has obviously not yet been negotiated, but we'd like to hire you as troubleshooters to deal with this beast and find out what has caused its sudden aggression. You'd be well-paid. I'm worried it might be one of a mated pair and it won't be the end of the matter until we know for sure. We've kept the problem quiet for now so as not to unnecessarily panic the people of Freehold, but it won't be long until the truth outs. Every ox is worth a huge sum of silver and we've lost over a dozen to this monster. Not only that, but it took a life I was responsible for. Add to that, we have a reputation as responsible employers to uphold. This incident could be a political nightmare if not handled well.

Qhude:

You can't be certain, but from description the beast sounds like an animal- to be precise, a powerful and ancient species of animal known as an Anklyosaurus. Strong and incredibly resilient, it is told by tribal elders that entire war-bands of Bas'o men have failed to hunt such a monstrous beast. It is powerful and squat, and its spiked tail is its deadliest weapon- making single, powerful strikes that usually leave a man dying in the rare cases he is not killed outright. You recall also, that Bas'o lore tells that they are difficult to surprise or ambush- their eyes are keen and they are wary by nature. They are also known to simply drive their powerful shoulders into a man and drive him off a cliff or canyon- unfortunately this is quite common as such locations are usually ideal ambush sites.

Such a mighty beast is huge-sized and weighs over 6,000 pounds at adulthood. Individual heroism against such a monstrous foe is rarely noteworthy, save for the killing blow. It usually takes dozens of wounds to finally bring down although very few warriors can ever honestly claim to have participated in such a hunt.

By default, CR6.


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Qhude is deathly calm as the story is told and the proposal is laid out, clearly turning something over in his mind. When all is said he replies in a measured tone "Ankylosaurus... a beast of legend... and able to inflict much death." his face does not show fear, and there is a spark of fire in his eyes smoldering and beginning to burn.

AK - would Qhude know the speed of the beast? - as in whether it moves as quickly as a man runs or not?


Your Humble Narrator

As fast as, perhaps faster is what he was always told.


Male Half-Elf Fighter 2nd/Rogue 2nd

"Fair enough," Kieran replies, raising his own glass in salute and to indicate he concedes Zesaste's point. He then continues his conversation with the wizard. "He was indeed and he did teach me a few things during the time I stayed with him. And I can say, at least from my own experience, that the Swordlords are indeed quite skilled with their curved blades. The best, however?" The half-elf smiles, as his next words hardly provide an answer to the elf's apparent challenge. "One can be the best at what one does only until someone better comes along, yes?"

He takes a sip, savoring the wine's taste, before speaking again. "I thought mages more or less disdained the use of more traditional weaponry, preferring their formidable spells during a fight. Yet you carry a sword. Could it be you have more than a passing interest in such weapons? If so, I have an Aldori sword, the kind the Swordlords of Brevoy use, back at the inn. Perhaps you would like to see it? Or try it out?"

Although Zesaste appears to monopolize Kieran's attention as far as conversation is concerned, the rogue's natural curiosity does make him spare some of that attention for Tabansi's tale of the strange beast, especially when Qhude speaks up about what he knows of such a creature. "Sounds like a challenge...," is all he offers as comment to the Bas'o's words, before adding, "...and fun."


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4
DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:

The slightly shy Tabansi found himself suddenly bombarded with questions and did his best to tell the tale. He was a little quiet at first but his rose grew in volume when he realised people at the other end of the table were also interested. He spoke in Taldane and seemed well practised in it-

Not an Ankheg no Ansha- much, much bigger. Its back was armoured with thick, bony plates- and none of our spears could pierce it. Its mouth could swallow a calf whole and the animal was the length of four or five tall men! he exclaimed. It must weigh more than half of my herd and it swatted grown oxen aside with powerful swings of its spiked tail! Often, my poor cattle would be left so senseless by the blow they would simply lie motionless only for it to feed on them moments later.

Tabansi looked quite upset as he continued and told of the attacks on his herd thus far.

The first time it came, the animal knocked aside several of my cattle without warning and was within bow-shot of me and my men. I truly thought it must be hungry for the cattle feed I was stood near and ran for my life. The Zenj looked a little ashamed at the admission but Bellis thumped him on the arm to remind him of her words with a tiny fist.

The town guard and I returned to fight it, but it was all we could do to drive it off to the north. It didn't seem interested in a fight truthfully, it was the strangest thing. It mostly ignored our arrows and spears and left with an ox in its mouth, with several already eaten or killed.

The second attack- I wasn't present for, for I was running errands for Mindra inside the ranch itself. By the time I heard the commotion and arrived on the scene, it had slain one Zenj rancher and made off with another ox; the men described how it all but ignored the oxen again until after it had slain Muloon.

Mindra interjected here to say- He was with us here for many years. His home has been granted to his family and they are well provided for. A tragedy nevertheless.

Tabansi nodded and continued. The third time, was most suspicious. It was then that I began to think I had been cursed. Tabansi's face paled and he looked frightened even now.

I had led a work team to make repairs to a northern fence (although by this point we had men posted to keep an eye out for it) that was found sabotaged the same morning and to gather the loose cattle back inside who had escaped during the night. The beast came out of the jungle and despite the warnings of my men and the fact we immediately withdrew- it chased ME all the way to a work-shed on the edge of the main ranch building. I snuck out of a rear window just before the beast smashed the shed to splinters to get at me- I watched it while I hid nearby.

Tabansi looked at Tebati before him and took her hands.

I agree with this woman he proclaimed. It did not act like an animal should- why would it single me out like that? What foul curse has been wrought upon my head?

Tebati flushes a little as Tabansi reaches across the table to take her hands. "The first time," she analyzes, "it acted as an animal should, seeking to fill its belly the simplest way possible. But the second and third times, with easy prey there for the taking, it deliberately chose a human target. Qhude," she turns to the Bas'o at the far end of the table, "these ankai...," she stumbles over the unfamiliar name, "are they intelligent? Do they bear any grudge against men in particular?"

Returning her attention to Tabansi, she continues, "I do not know if you are cursed, but surely the one to ask would be your shamaness?" Addressing herself mostly to Mindra, she goes on, "I see you have gathered the respected personages of your town -- your sage, your soldier, your wealthy businesspeople -- but there is no place set for your religious leader. Is it not to her you should be turning for wisdom and guidance?"


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

"Ankylosaurus," Ansha murmurs to herself. She interjects to Zesaste, again in Elven--with a pointedly teasing look at Bellis--"Garolye parfin an amlugrim? Abtirain?"

Elven:
"I don't suppose you have books on great beasts? Perhaps you could allow me to look at them later?"

"How far away is the jungle from these northern fields, Tabansi?"


Male Human Haunted Nature Oracle 4 (Ac 20 Cmd 20 Will+4 Ref+2 Fort+4)

To Mr. Tabansi"Be calm Mr. Tabansi. If you were actually cursed there would be traces that master Zesaste could detect. This is most likely chance," Here Jakob looks around the table. "or someone leading the beast."

"In any case we will be more than happy to help. Perhaps we can move it deeper into the jungle. At least given it's size it will be easy to track. Perhaps we can take a look at that patch of jungle in the morning?"

To the table in general: "In the meantime I understand there will be a festival soon. I look forward to seeing Freehold celebrating. I suppose you are all involved in the planning?"


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4
Tebati wrote:
"are they intelligent? Do they bear any grudge against men in particular?"

Qhude considers this a moment before replying "I would not think it would act this way without guidance Sangoma. I know only of it through story, but the stories do not colour it with a specific taste for manflesh."

Jakob wrote:
"In any case we will be more than happy to help. Perhaps we can move it deeper into the jungle. At least given it's size it will be easy to track. Perhaps we can take a look at that patch of jungle in the morning?"

Strangely for the Bas'o, he feels he needs speak to caution "Haste would not be wise Jakob. I would not want to meet this beast until I am sure we are ready to face it..." turning to Mindra "If we are to act as your arm in this... we need to prepare ourselves. I would call upon Mitabu and the resources of the guard... but would also ask if I might talk to the gnome - Cru-tho-ni-ax. Is this permitted?"


Male Human (Ijo) Monk 4 (Zen Archer)

N'bellocq quietly enjoys the feast and he follows the story of attacks with great interest. An anko-saurus. Would need a lot of arrows for that.

He interjects, "I agree that good preparation is needed. Hunting such a beast, it would be best to lay in wait in prepared positions. One does not hunt a hippo from a canoe. Perhaps a pitfall or similar trap can be prepared that might limit the beast's mobility."


Your Humble Narrator
Kieran Markavien wrote:
"Fair enough," Kieran replies, raising his own glass in salute and to indicate he concedes Zesaste's point. He then continues his conversation with the wizard. "He was indeed and he did teach me a few things during the time I stayed with him. And I can say, at least from my own experience, that the Swordlords are indeed quite skilled with their curved blades. The best, however?" The half-elf smiles, as his next words hardly provide an answer to the elf's apparent challenge. "One can be the best at what one does only until someone better comes along, yes?"

Zesaste seemed more interested in this conversation than discussing the "anklyosaurus" and smiled wryly at Kieran's answer.

That is a human attitude- when you reach the proverbial peak of your abilities and fall from it at such a quick rate, it is little surprise that humans see someone better coming along as inevitable. With a longer life... you have time to study the theory of your craft. For every hour of martial training an "Aldori Swordlord" has spent to perfect a maneuver, a blade-master of the Talathel has spent weeks studying the many different ways to effectively counter it.

Zesaste was quick to add- Of course, this means that said blade-master reaches his peak once said Aldori's grandchildren are grey and bearded.

Kieran Markavien wrote:


He takes a sip, savoring the wine's taste, before speaking again. "I thought mages more or less disdained the use of more traditional weaponry, preferring their formidable spells during a fight. Yet you carry a sword. Could it be you have more than a passing interest in such weapons? If so, I have an Aldori sword, the kind the Swordlords of Brevoy use, back at the inn. Perhaps you would like to see it? Or try it out?"

Zesaste sought to educate Kieran- apparently the mage had come to the conclusion that the Half-Elf was more in tune with his human heritage.

Elven children are often taught the sword and bow regardless of their later calling in life. Many disdain it at adolescence, particularly those destined to become mages; but they can at least swing a sword properly. As a Talathel wizard, i'm expected to be more than competent with a blade. Truly, its not my area of expertise though. I'm more capable of enhancing other's prowess or my own than I am in a duel. I will decline to examine your blade but I will happily spar with you; in private of course.

Zesaste turned to Ansha and smiled.

That invitation is, of course, extended to you as well Ansha. Whether it be sword, spell or wordplay you wish to spar with. But I am afraid my library is small and of a very narrow focus.

Tebati wrote:


Returning her attention to Tabansi, she continues, "I do not know if you are cursed, but surely the one to ask would be your shamaness?" Addressing herself mostly to Mindra, she goes on, "I see you have gathered the respected personages of your town -- your sage, your soldier, your wealthy businesspeople -- but there is no place set for your religious leader. Is it not to her you should be turning for wisdom and guidance?"

Tebati's direct question looked to have caught Tabansi and Mindra by surprise. Mindra recovered first and answered on behalf of the council, who at this point were mostly listening, except Zesaste who at least lowered his voice as he spoke to Kieran.

To be precise, I gathered the full town council here. Shamaness Ntisi is, although a solid pillar of the community, a little prone to spreading gossip wherever she goes. She speaks to more people in Freehold every day than any other and sees no value in holding back any information. Thus far, we have not involved her in this affair. If you wish to do so- that is your prerogative and we will respect it. We will try to interfere as little as possible- the last thing a band of adventurer's like you need is bureaucracy.

Tabansi added to Mindra's words- We're actually due to meet her tomorrow morning- she spoke to Bellis earlier this evening and requested a meeting with the council. Perhaps a representative of your group could be present? he suggested, before he then answered Ansha's query.

The northern fence is only fifty feet or so from the edge of the jungle. Have you ever tried to keep a growing jungle at bay in this heat? Its... exhausting. Its all my men can do in quiet moments to cut it down to size.

Bellis answered Jakob's question about the festival.

Shamaness Ntisi has been busying herself with it. We've mostly given her free rein over the organisation- she probably just wants to meet us tomorrow to go over some last minute arrangements.

Mitabu seemed to approve of Qhude and N'bellocq's caution. He hesitated in his answer and his voice lacked conviction as he spoke instead of Mindra.

You can involve that mad Gnome if you think he can help, just don't let him try and get involved in the fight, last thing we need is a rich store owner getting himself killed. As for my guards... What do you have in mind? I... I think with the sum we'll be paying you, you'd be expected to manage on your own no?

Definitely would require a diplomacy check to make a request to get Mitabu to commit guardsmen to you- DC will be modified by what exactly your proposing you use them for too.

With the first course just about wrapped up, the main substance of the meal was brought to the table as the discussion continued- Various meats including fried bacon and stove-roasted beef and a large bowl of potatoes and carrots in some kind of garnish.


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Qhude touches fist to chest in recognition of the fact his request to talk to the gnome was permitted, though he clarifies the plan for the guard's resources "No Mitabu, I would not want your guardsmen with us - there is no offense meant... but I would trust only my umkhaya at my side in this. However the arms I bear now are more suited to the hunting of man than the intulo enkulu. I would seek leave to look to your armory... bows, spears, horses... all of which could spell the difference between life... or death for us."

intulo enkulu - big lizard.
Diplomacy (if needed): 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16

Zezaste's talk of sparring brings a memory to Qhude. With a sad smile he jests "You would be careful with Kieran umlumbi... when last we met in a circle he left me bloodied."

umlumbi - wizard

At the arrival of the second course, Qhude looks to the roast beef and vegetables - piling it high upon his plate.


Your Humble Narrator

There is other food I just had to finish the description a little earlier than I had planned. Feel free to take creative liberties with it if relevant.


Male Half-Elf Fighter 2nd/Rogue 2nd

"You have to admit, Lord Talathel," Kieran offers with a shrug, "that I and those like me are closer to our human half rather than our elven one in regards to the way and speed with which we age. Is it any wonder we more easily adopt human attitudes as well, rather than those of the elves?"

Taking another sip of wine, the smile on his face and the look of his silver eyes as he regards the mage ample proof of how much he enjoys both the conversation and the various refreshments, he continues. "I would very much enjoy the chance to spar with you. Who knows, perhaps we might teach each other a thing or two while we do so, yes?"

When Qhude interjects, the half-elf smiles and then chuckles softly as he turns to look at the Bas'o. "Ha! And as I recall -in somewhat of a blur, mind you- I paid for that soon enough when you knocked me on my... ahem, back." He then briefly turns to Tebati. "Thankfully, we have a healer among us who made sure I retained my good looks, if I do say so myself, after that right hook."


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

"I'd be delighted, heru nin," Ansha replies to Zesaste. "I'm sure any such encounter will be quite elucidating."

With the arrival of the second course, the elven enchantress only takes a small portion of roast beef, potatoes and carrots. "Your cook is really quite good," she remarks to Mindra offhandedly between bites.

heru nin = milord


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

"I see," Tebati replies coolly, her eyes travelling from Mindra to Bellis to Mitabu as they speak. She manages a smile down the table at Kieran when he turns toward her but otherwise doesn't add anything more to the conversation at this juncture, having no expertise in hunting large animals.


Male Human Haunted Nature Oracle 4 (Ac 20 Cmd 20 Will+4 Ref+2 Fort+4)

Well with the assistance of Master Zesaste and our own resources we should be able to reassure you that if you are cursed it is not esoteric in nature Mr Tabansi. With your permission of course and after this fine meal is concluded perhaps we can start to rule out possibilities.
What do you think Tebati, Ansha? I think that working together should uncover all but the most subtle of workings."

Jakob eats sparingly. Favoring the vegetable dishes,though sampling the others. He seems rather delighted with a saute of mixed wild fungus in a dark wine reduction.

Ansha wrote:
"Your cook is really quite good,"

"I second this praise. I have not eaten this well in years."


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

Tebati glances down the table at Jakob in mild surprise. "I'm afraid I can be of little help in the matter, as when I communed with my goddess this morning, I was not expecting to examine people for curses." No detect spells learned today. In contrast to the others, she shows little enthusiasm for the complicated dishes, having grown up on fresh fish, fruit, and bread; the meats and vegetables seem heavy to her and the mixture of flavors, unfamiliar. Unlike Qhude and N'bellocq, she has never known enough hunger to appreciate the mere availability of food, whatever its composition.


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

"But a moment and I could tell you whether there's any obvious traces of magic about him," Ansha replies, taking another sip of the mulled wine. "I really rather doubt it, though."


Your Humble Narrator

Qhude made his case but Mitabu still seemed hesitant to commit any resources. He had not yet made a decision.

Waiting for assists to Qhude's diplomacy, if any.

No. It is no small wonder, your correct Zesaste acknowledged, as he looked Tebati over after her skills as a healer were mentioned.

The table waited for Ansha to back up her claim and Tabansi in particular waited anxiously for her magic. If the man was cursed, he did not seem inclined to wait until after the meal to find out.

Mindra took the opportunity to speak quietly with Tebati, almost in a whisper.

Tebati, I would know the skills and talents of your group. In truth, I have retained adventurers in this town many times as troubleshooters. I'd like to know the capabilities of those who I am working with.

2,201 to 2,250 of 3,716 << first < prev | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM AK's Sargavan Saga All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.