Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


DM Alexander Kilcoyne's Sargavan Saga

Game Master Alexander Kilcoyne

"What is this place? Puzzles in Azlant, more magic than you see in a year in Absalom. Wheels literally within wheels. Bound demons and wax golems? The expense must have been enormous. But why? To what end?"

Jakob

Kingdom Rules | SRD Reference | Pyramid, Level 1 | Pyramid, Level 2 |


1,951 to 2,000 of 4,152 << first < prev | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | next > last >>

Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

Kieran:
Night, 28th of Sarenith

Tebati lies very still in his arms as he makes his confession. When he first identifies himself as a member of a group that dealt in slaves, he feels her body tense, but she doesn't pull away from his touch. "What have you to regret?" she asks gently when he has finished, brushing her fingertips softly against his cheek. "You found you disapproved of your associates, and you left them. What would be regrettable would have been to disapprove and yet not find the courage to leave."


Your Humble Narrator

Early afternoon, 30th of Sarenith, 4711 AR

Happy Birthday Jakob! You get a single re-roll (must be used by the 30th of next month) for remembering it was your birthday.

Jakob and Ansha begin to stroll into the small town, with Qhude some distance behind.

General description to follow that also applies to the rest of you if/when you enter.

At a glance as you begin to stroll into Freehold, the small town looks rather idyllic. Freehold is situated on a very shallow hillock, not steep enough to give it any real advantage in defence were it to come under attack but it certainly makes the place look rather appealing. Whether it is due to the slightly uneven ground in various places or perhaps by design, the buildings of the small town are well spaced out; feeling more like an overgrown village than a town with clear streets and alleys. Freehold appears to be loosely circular in shape, with a large clearing in the centre that is currently coming into view. It looks like the local market is situated in said clearing, with stalls selling groceries and preservatives in particular, although you imagine the market will be beginning to wind down now as the evening settles in. The clearing is also a place of beauty, with planted trees looming over rows of carefully maintained flowers, herbal gardens and hedge rows.

There doesn't seem to be any particular commercial district with the exception of the market. Buildings marked by signs as shops and tradesmen are scattered almost randomly throughout the town; and the paint on many signs is bold and vibrant; a sign of a recent growth spurt perhaps. The settlement seems extremely clean and tidy compared to the dirty streets of Eleder and although most buildings are made of wood, none of them appear to be especially old. The older buildings in Freehold seem to be made of stone, in particular the large structure clearly marked as the Lion's Maw; made of red brick with a slated, tiled roof. The wooden buildings themselves look similar in design; they are usually close to circular in shape and have generous sized doors and windows- as well as a decent amount of interior space and a degree of space around the buildings themselves. The whole town feels very open and the design gives it a sense of welcoming community.

From your position walking into the town, Freehold Ranch is also clearly visible at the north end of town. A somewhat out of place wooden building on your right as your entering is painted a bright red with a vibrant sign, the graceful, flowing letters of the sign above the door reading Cruthoniax's Curios. Qhude has not yet spotted a tannery or leatherworker but the sounds of an anvil being hammered on from inside the Curious shop makes him wonder if someone inside might have such skill.

The people here seem relaxed and friendly. Children play and laugh freely throughout the wide and open paths. Locals stop to chat and gossip with one another and your presence, although noted, seems to cause very little concern or alarm. The air is clean, and the smell of freshly picked flowers reaches your nostrils as you spot a brightly clad Chelish woman with a basket of them, offering you a single flower for a copper piece or a bouquet for five with a smile and a wave as you pass. As far as the racial breakdown goes, you mostly see Mwangi and Colonial humans, although you spot a couple of Half-Elf citizens, a Gnome porter, a Halfling stall-keeper and a Half-Orc town guard as you walk. A Dwarf smoking a pipe nods his head in greeting as he watches your arrival, leaning out of a window.

Going to assume Ansha and Jakob will flextime their conversation.

Ansha begins to make her way to the Lion's Maw, working her way through the market clearing to enter the tavern. The inn and common room seems very large for the small town and its clear your not the only travellers to be in Freehold, judging from the crowded stables adjacent to the establishment as well as the finely garbed merchants sat in one corner of the tavern. The tavern is sparsely populated at the moment, with a few regulars sat at the bar itself chatting to the wench serving them drinks and smiles, the merchant contingent laughing rambunctiously and a small trio of Dwarves drinking somberly.


Male Half-Elf Fighter 2nd/Rogue 2nd

Tebati:
Night, 28th of Sarenith, 4711 AR

Aside from a soft sigh, Kieran remains silent for a few moments. He then smiles and pulls Tebati closer, holding her in his arms and simply whispering, "Thank you."

Early afternoon, 30th of Sarenith, 4711 AR

"Well, this does seem like a nice little place, yes?" Kieran poses the question to anyone who is close enough to listen as he casually walks into town, a few paces behind Qhude. The half-elf looks relaxed enough, his usual smile quite apparent on his face and his hand leaning on his sword's pommel as he moves along. All in all, he seems to be in rather good spirits, although, to be fair, that is how he almost always looks anyway.


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

Early afternoon, 30 Sarenith, 4711 AR

After a short conversation with Jakob, Ansha makes her own way to the Maw. Passing by the Chelish flower-girl, she returns the girl's smile and halts for a moment to buy a bouquet of flowers deliberately slipping the girl a gold coin rather than the coppers she had requested. As Ansha takes the bouquet, she deliberately brushes her fingers against the girl's and says, "Hi, I'm Ansha--and you are?" She pauses to allow the girl to answer, then asks, "What's the news around here, hon?" Beguiling Touch, DC 15.

After the girl answers, she continues, asking with pauses long enough for the girl to answer between each question, "What temples are there in Freehold? Do you know whether there's a temple of Calistria here? Or are there any wizards around? Or maybe a library?" Diplomacy (gather info): 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20

Once she has her answers, Ansha winks at the girl and thanks her, holding the flowers up to her nose to breathe in their scent. She removes one flower from the bouquet and tucks it behind her ear, then continues on her way to the Lion's Maw. She makes a note of any merchants in the marketplace that appear to be selling paper, scrolls, ink, books or jewelry, but continues on her way for now. When she arrives at the tavern, she looks around for a halfling woman and walks over to her. Feeling a bit like a giant next to the diminutive woman, she asks, "How much for a room? Preferably one with a hot bath."


Your Humble Narrator

As the settlement's Lore modifier is -2, any diplomacy attempts to gather information take a -2 penalty. See the ooc thread for details on settlement modifiers (I will make a post there and then come back and edit this one with a response to Ansha).

The young human lady blushes with pleasure and astonishment as Ansha pays more than twenty times the price of the bouquet.

My! Thank you so much, madam! she manages as Ansha brushes her hand against her. The pale-skinned Chelish woman continues- My name is Valeria. It is a pleasure to meet one as generous as yourself, madam she polishes off her speech with a curtsey.

DM Only:

1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

Ansha feels the young ladies mind resist her beguiling touch with a fierce willpower, but nevertheless it appears her monetary generosity has done much to loosen the tongue of the flower seller added a bonus to your check based on Ansha's overpayment, and she chats happily to Ansha giving lengthy and complicated, but useful answers to her questions.

Gathering information usually takes 1d4 hours, but that's more to do with searching for something specific and involves questioning multiple people etc. I have therefore treated this as a request for lengthy or complicated aid (+5 to DC) and i've assumed that she takes about ten minutes of Ansha's time.

In response to asking about news around here, Valeria shares one of the local tidbits of the rumour mill. Firstly, there's a rumour going around that the Head Cattle Rancher and Council Member Tabansi is engaging in an affair with Mindra Macini, main shareholder in Freehold Ranch and another Council Member. The local residents near the ranch have seen him coming and going from Mindra's stately home several times late at night; and the topic is something of a scandal as Mindra is married; her husband has been away on business in Eleder for some time. Valeria giggles nervously as she whispers much of the information to Ansha, not wanting to be heard discussing it in such a public place.

Apparently, there are no temples in Freehold other than a small stone church dedicated to Erastil on the east edge of town; frequented by much of the local populace. The church is quite newly built; the funds to build it were provided by Mindra Macini herself less than a year ago. Valeria tells Ansha there is no public library in Freehold; but the local town wizard is an Elf like her! His name is Zesaste Talathel and he is somewhat reclusive, reluctantly aiding the ranch and the town in his capacity as both a Council Member and Towns Wizard. Valeria's sure he might have books to lend her!

After some more idle and pleasant chatter, Ansha eventually finds herself at the Lion's Maw. Bellis Marra is a little grim for her race; she is a sour-faced, elderly Halfling with frown lines that seem to have been permanently chiselled onto her wrinkled face decades ago. She sizes Ansha up with a critical eye and then answers her, the frown never leaving her face.

It'll be 3 gold pieces a night if your after our finest room with a private bathing chamber, Miss...?

Ansha may feel like a giant physically next to the Halfling, but somehow she's a little intimidating despite her small stature. It might be her eyes- there's a tint of grey in her hard gaze that makes a person wonder what she might be capable of.


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

At the Lion's Maw:

Ansha returns the halfling's frown with a friendly smile. "Ansha. I'm here with the caravan just in from Eleder. Jeggare, the caravan master, told me to tell you to put it on his tab. I believe we're expecting to be here for about a week or two."

Zesaste Talathel, hm? she ponders as she speaks to Bellis. I'll have to pay him a visit while we're here. "By the way, could you tell me where I could find one Zesaste Talathel?"


Your Humble Narrator

At the Lion's Maw

I see. How many more should I expect, Ansha?

Without waiting for an answer, the old Halfling barks for one of her serving girls, telling her to draw a map to Zesaste's home from the inn. She snaps her head back to look at the Elf impatiently.


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

Early afternoon, 30th of Sarenith, 4711 AR

After Jeggare's farewell speech, Tebati stays behind a moment to approach Unwe. "Do you remain encamped with the caravan for its protection?" she asks. "Or will you and your companions lodge in town or at the soldiers' base?"

After speaking with Unwe, she hurries to catch up with the others heading into town. "Cousin, are you coming?" she invites N'bellocq to join them. She smiles with delight as playing children run across her path. Despite the town's small size and modest structures, the peaceful and unwary manner of its citizenry reminds her of her home.

Kieran Markavien wrote:
"Well, this does seem like a nice little place, yes?" Kieran poses the question to anyone who is close enough to listen as he casually walks into town, a few paces behind Qhude. The half-elf looks relaxed enough, his usual smile quite apparent on his face and his hand leaning on his sword's pommel as he moves along. All in all, he seems to be in rather good spirits, although, to be fair, that is how he almost always looks anyway.

"Enough to make you want to settle down with a fence and a dog?" Tebati teases, as she comes up beside him, her quick pace allowing her easily to catch up, especially as he seemed in no great hurry to leave her behind, anyway. She leans a little closer and murmurs in his ear questioningly:

Kieran:
"The Custodian has already gone to such great expense for us; perhaps there is no reason to force him to pay for two rooms at the inn when one will do?"

Her eyes light up at the sight of the central market, and she decides to head there first before the stalls begin to close for the night and see what is being sold, on the lookout for fresh fruit in particular.


Your Humble Narrator

We're under Freehold's protection here. But Albert is to have us link up with the military post here for drills and training. You won't see much of us until we leave again.

Unwe seems to think for a moment before asking Tebati a favour, hesitantly. Its clear the Mwangi woman doesn't like to ask things of other people.

Tebati, i'd like to ask something of you... the Terbutje we secured aren't standard issue. We've grown fond of having a bigger blade; they are handy in such a small unit. The short sword's place is in a tight battle line, not in such skirmishes. Would you look after these weapons and this sack for us and keep them safe? The sack contains a few more keepsakes we picked up from the Freemen and we'd prefer for it to stay sealed. Will you do this for us?


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4
DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:

At the Lion's Maw

I see. How many more should I expect, Ansha?

Without waiting for an answer, the old Halfling barks for one of her serving girls, telling her to draw a map to Zesaste's home from the inn. She snaps her head back to look at the Elf impatiently.

Ansha thinks for a moment. "Five more, I should think. Unless one of them decides to sleep under the stars and two more choose to share a bed. So anywhere from three more to five more." Her gaze wanders over to the raucous merchants, then snaps back to Bellis as she smiles and adds, "Lively lot. What's the occasion?"


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

Talking with Unwe before entering Freehold

"They would take the weapons from you because they are not approved by the government?" Tebati frowns. "Is not your judgment, who have wielded both, more valuable than their regulations?"

Sense Motive on exactly how much trouble Unwe fears Tebati might get into as a result of her request 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Unlike the others the sedentary and relaxed atmosphere of the town puts Qhude somewhat on edge. Not two days ago their wagon train was beset by Bandu raiders... and yet this town does not seem to offer much in the way of defence against attack.

Qhude calls to the others "I will see you soon" before peeling off to Cruthoniax's Curios at the sound of the blacksmith's hammer. Pushing his way into the store, he looks for the owner as he roughly folds the lion pelt to place on whatever serves for a desk or counter within the shop.


Male Half-Elf Fighter 2nd/Rogue 2nd

Tebati:
Kieran's smile grows just a little wider at hearing that Tebati's thoughts mirror his own. "I would have it no other way," he replies softly. "To spare the Custodian unnecessary expense, to be sure."

"I will go with Ansha to the inn and see about staying arrangements," he says to Tebati as she begins to move towards the market. "And see what she has already found out about this place. If I know one thing about the woman, is that she is always on the prowl for information and knowledge."

Making his way to the Lion's Maw quickly, he enters the establishment and is greeted by the familiar sounds of patrons and staff talking and moving about. Easily spotting the elven mage, he moves to get closer to her. "Hello there," the half-elf says in greeting to both Ansha and the halfling, before addressing the smaller woman with what he hopes is one of his best smiles.

"My name is Kieran," he introduces himself, extending his hand in greeting. "Has my friend here already made arrangements?"


Your Humble Narrator
Tebati wrote:

Talking with Unwe before entering Freehold

"They would take the weapons from you because they are not approved by the government?" Tebati frowns. "Is not your judgment, who have wielded both, more valuable than their regulations?"

Sense Motive on exactly how much trouble Unwe fears Tebati might get into as a result of her request 1d20+7

Tebati:

You don't get the impression Unwe is expecting you to be under any real risk or she wouldn't ask. If Freehold is even half as liberal and friendly as Jeggare and the others have been implying, you find it extremely unlikely you would be searched or questioned, even while carrying several Terbutje to your room in the inn.

Essentially, your sure you have enough of a sense of Unwe's character that she wouldn't ask you to do something that would be a real risk to you.

Unwe seems a little flustered, perhaps not expecting questions to follow her request.

The military favours standard issue equipment- conformity and discipline so officers always know what their soldiers have. Without standard regulation, the army functions more like a militia. Its just that our little group isn't on what would be considered standard duty- but to try and explain that to a higher officer would only be more trouble than its worth...

Unwe shakes her head angrily.

Morvius should have had us designated as Special Forces. We wouldn't have such problems if he had and we'd be granted more autonomy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Qhude wrote:

Unlike the others the sedentary and relaxed atmosphere of the town puts Qhude somewhat on edge. Not two days ago their wagon train was beset by Bandu raiders... and yet this town does not seem to offer much in the way of defence against attack.

Qhude calls to the others "I will see you soon" before peeling off to Cruthoniax's Curios at the sound of the blacksmith's hammer. Pushing his way into the store, he looks for the owner as he roughly folds the lion pelt to place on whatever serves for a desk or counter within the shop.

Qhude enters the shop to the sounds of a loud, happy sounding voice over the sound of repeated hammer blows.

The light, the sound, the trick, and the voice—these make us giants though the world deems us small.

The Curios shop is, expectedly, a strange place. The high ceiling is home to an intricate web of gears, cogs and what seem to be pendulums- shaped loosely like a cage around a small glass jar with a tiny silver statue inside. The walls closest to the entrance are covered in wire frames of various shapes and sizes- with little consistency other than the wiring itself. Each is home to a collection of what seem to be almost random sets of objects- pieces from a children's board game, rusty nails, drinking flagons, insects pinned to the wall via tiny pins, playing cards taken from what seem to be a variety of different games and styles and a collection of maps are all included on the walls.

On the far side of the building, a small counter has been set up to serve customers and behind it, a small forging area. What seem to be bellows are keeping the flames oxygenated without any effort on the part of the Gnome thoughtfully turning a blade over the hot fire; while a hammer attached to the bellows makes blows irregularly, to no discernible pattern- and yet the Gnome somehow anticipates them perfectly, even as he makes notes with his left hand while keeping half an eye on the metal in his right. The walls on this side of the building proudly display weapons and armour; some crafted for the smaller races and some for humans and their ilk- and even an oversized, curved dagger that looks like it was made for a giant. Most of the weapons on the walls are recognisable to Qhude, but have seen adaptations. A heavy quarterstaff with deliberately placed holes in it, perhaps to catch lunging weapons. A flail, mounted on the end of a long pole. A sling staff of Gnomish design rather than Halfling; with an especially large cup that would not be at all suitable to hurl sling stones. A glaive with a cord attached to a small cog beneath the blade- for what purpose, it is difficult to say. A scythe shaped like a walking stick, with a spring mechanism that looks like it might hide the blade within the stick itself.

Noticing your presence, the Gnome by the forge smiles, his large wide eyes and expressive face showing his pleasure at having a visitor. As you are taking in the scene before you he moves away from the forge, removing his blacksmith apron to reveal a pristine set of purple and red robes underneath. The Gnome has brown hair with hints of grey in it but seems very sprightly, if indeed he is even old. He speaks quickly, excitedly-

Greetings, greetings! I welcome you humbly to my establishment! As you have no doubt gathered, I am Cru-Tho-Ni-Ax (he pronounces his name phonetically to ensure you can pronounce it) and I am at your disposal. Oh, I say! May I?

His eyes are drawn to your Guisarme and he holds out a hand with a smile, wanting to examine it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ansha Saeralyan wrote:


Ansha thinks for a moment. "Five more, I should think. Unless one of them decides to sleep under the stars and two more choose to share a bed. So anywhere from three more to five more." Her gaze wanders over to the raucous merchants, then snaps back to Bellis as she smiles and adds, "Lively lot. What's the occasion?"

Bellis holds out a hand expectantly. It appears she doesn't peddle information for free.


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

At Cruthoniax's Curios

Qhude's eyes narrow at the weapons and armor that seem to sprout appendages and additions where they do not seem to be needed. Seeing the gnome come toward him he takes a half step backward in skepticism.. before taking the scene at face value. Gripping his guisarme in one hand and holding it horizontal as he takes a knee before the man - putting him more closely to speaking eye to eye. Still holding the weapon he proffers it "You may look little one... but I wish it returned as it is now" head gesturing towards the wall of strange weapons by means of explanation and then waiting for an assent before releasing the polearm. Once released he adds "I am Qhude"

Straightening Qhude moves over to the counter and puts his folded lion pelt upon it, content for the gnome to complete his inspection of the guisarme before following up on his own request on the pelt.


Your Humble Narrator

At Cruthoniax's Curios

The Gnome nods eagerly, taking the Guisarme and inspecting it for a minute or two. he hands it back, saying-

You are wise, Qhude. Every man needs to make his own mark on a weapon. It is well known that it invites bad luck to go into battle without personalising your gear in some manner; even if it is merely aesthetic.

He moves over to the slightly low counter and peers at the lion pelt, putting on a strange, scoped monocle in order to better examine it.

Qhude, my boy- what do you want done with this then?


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

At the Lion's Maw

Ansha rolls her eyes in exasperation at the halfling. Reaching for her pouch again, she places another gold coin in Bellis' hand. Her fingers linger, their touch transferring Ansha's insidious magic. Beguiling touch DC15. "Come now, we're friends here, aren't we? Would you make a friend pay so readily?"


Your Humble Narrator

DM Only:

1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15 Will

At the Lion's Maw

It must be an off-day for Ansha. Bellis resist her magic, just like Valerie before her.

I like to keep my relationship with patrons strictly professional. Bellis answers, pocketing the gold piece into a small belt pouch and leaning in closer in order to talk quietly. They are making a racket because they successfully negotiated a new trade route to Eleder- I hear the organisation they represent has opened a new gold mine in the Bandu Hills. Of course, i've also heard tell that the organisation is merely a front for one of the Ivory Cross' more entrepreneurial ventures. Needless to say, its good news for Freehold.


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

At Cruthoniax's Curios

Nodding at the gnome's words Qhude turns to the pelt, laying it flat. "I took this from a young beast that attacked our caravan... I did as best I could to preserve it, but I have no real skill at working the pelt." smoothing a hand over the pelt reverently "I would honor the beast by bearing it upon myself"

Something like this - cloak and headband combo


Your Humble Narrator

At Cruthoniax's Curios

Hmm... the Gnome muses after Qhude describes what he wants. That will take less than half a pelt of this size. I propose you allow me to keep the other half of the pelt in exchange for my services. I have a design for a variant on the usual style of hide armour i'm very excited about and well skinned pelts are something of a rarity here. Do we have a deal, Qhude?


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4
DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:

Unwe seems a little flustered, perhaps not expecting questions to follow her request.

The military favours standard issue equipment- conformity and discipline so officers always know what their soldiers have. Without standard regulation, the army functions more like a militia. Its just that our little group isn't on what would be considered standard duty- but to try and explain that to a higher officer would only be more trouble than its worth...

Unwe shakes her head angrily.

Morvius should have had us designated as Special Forces. We wouldn't have such problems if he had and we'd be granted more autonomy.

Tebati frowns. "An officer who is more concerned with appearances than with effectiveness is a fool. Would they be happier if you all died, or failed at your assigned task, while carrying weapons they approved? I will keep them for you," she assents.

How many terbutjes are there? Is there some sort of box or heavy bag that they can be put into so Tebati isn't walking into town bristling with weaponry? Or maybe wrap them in canvas to make a bundle? Will the sealed sack fit into her backpack, or is it large enough she has to carry it separately as well?

When Kieran separates from her to follow Ansha to the inn, she asks him to carry the terbutjes, with a quick explanation of why she has them, to free up her hands to examine the goods at the market; the sack Unwe gave her she will keep herself. She gives him a quick kiss as he leaves, then turns to N'bellocq with a smile. "What of you, Cousin? Are you for the inn, or will you come with me to see what they have to sell in Freehold?"


Male Human (Ijo) Monk 4 (Zen Archer)

"I will come look about this town. It seems there is less of the crowds that jammed Eleder. And I saw Qhude carrying off his pelt. If thee is a leather worker, I would like to see if some items could be made while we are here."

At Cruthoniax's Curios

From the street, N'bellocq spies Qhude inside a shop. "Ah, there he is."

N'bellocq enters the shop with wide eyes. He has been in a forge before, but never where the forge worked itself. [b]"Hail brother, did you find one willing to work these hides." He turns to the small gnome, "Not a scratch on mine, took it through the eye. If something can be done, I am looking for a helm of the head that would also keep the sun off the neck, bracers, a belt, and a quiver. But don't let my request interfere with what Qhude has requested, it seems you are but one here, and I probably ask too much...I am just unused to having things made for myself and this hide is so beautiful."


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

"Nothing in this life's free, aye?" Ansha replies with a sardonic smirk. When the serving girl arrives with a map to Zesaste Talathel's home, Ansha thanks the girl and places it in a belt pouch. She then orders a snifter of brandy from the bar and walks over to the merchants' table. "Good afternoon, gentlemen," she practically purrs. "Mind if I join you? You seem far more agreeable company than the dwarves over there."

Resting her hand lightly on the nearest one's back Beguiling touch again--DC15, 2HD limit, Ansha takes a seat (on the charmed merchant's lap if necessary) and flashes a smile at the other members of the merchant party. Taking a sip of her brandy, she sits quietly for the moment.


Your Humble Narrator

At the Lion's Maw

Her business concluded with Ansha for now, the old Halfling innkeeper finally turns to address Kieran after making him wait for some time. She shakes his hand firmly but doesn't return his smile.

Bellis Marra, sir. Sorry for the delay. Ansha is your companion? Then you may have your choice of our remaining bedrooms. Your Elven friend already took the finest room for herself, though I have several rooms of varying quality left for the discerning gentleman.

DM Only:

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13

Meanwhile, in the rowdy corner of the inn, Ansha appears to make fast friends with one of the five well-dressed Human merchants pouring themselves wine from several open bottles, their table a mess of spilt drink and crumbs from their dinner. The man who she rests her hand on grins up at her, replying in Elven but with a dialect and drunken slur that makes the flowing language seem less soft on the ears than usual-

Mark off a silver for the brandy.

Ehn-ta yana, kalwa Elda, si atan tang titta moeas! Ehn-tie nes liik ose yulda o-ma!

Elven:

Of that, pretty Elf, this man has little doubt! Of course you can share a drink with us!

The merchant switches to Taldane as he pulls Ansha onto his lap, scratching his head for a moment, face concentrating intently before giving up.

Bug'r if ah can remember ye're word fer 'Dwarf', wench. But i've no doubt if ye were t' sit with them, it would turn out you were rersponsbil' fer some ancien' slight, am I right? Yer ancestor probably used a Dwarven burial record t' wipe 'er ass with! Say, are you "on th' house?"

His companions laugh heartily, making no attempt to hide the fact that the Dwarves they are pointing at have suddenly become the source of their humour. The trio of Dwarves glower at whatever joke they suddenly find themselves the brunt of and seem to retreat into their cups, continuing to talk quietly amongst themselves. The merchants look happy to continue their conversation, unless Ansha has something to contribute.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside Cruthoniax's Curios

Cruthoniax takes a moment away from Qhude to deal with N'bellocq, tactfully giving him time to consider the offer without pressuring him with his gaze. He chuckles softly at N'bellocq's expression of wonder.

You have any questions about my collections? Your brother here was just asking after a cloak and headband from his pelt. I see you also took down a lion too! I have two great hunters in my humble shop today, that I do. Your right that the hide is beautiful, but truly, your own request won't interfere with your brothers. Its simply a matter of how long you'll be around or when you'll next be in Freehold to collect your items. We can deal in money he puts a note of distaste on the word, strangely for a shopkeeper , or you can accept the same offer I just made your brother here. I'll make your items and then keep the remainder of the pelt. I don't like trading in coins, when I can help it, you see. Wouldn't you rather have a room full of strange and wondrous items, each with their own story to tell, than a heap of bland, all alike gold coins?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the caravans-

Thank-you, Tebati. Officers think only of armies when they see soldiers, Tebati. To their credit, standardisation of arms and armour is crucial among the rank and file. Put ten swordsmen in a line of spears and watch as the enemy carves through them to break the formation. Albert is planning to request General Morvius promote us to Special Force status once we arrive; we're already more seasoned and better trained than the regulars anyway.

She adds as an afterthought- Albert thinks we might be ordered to help you with whatever they want you to do in this Laughing Jungle.

Unwe hands the Terbutje to Tebati with a grateful nod of her head, some relief evident in her eyes. The Terbutje are wrapped tightly together and held in a long sack, and the second sack Unwe hands to Tebati is small; it will easily fit in her backpack.


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4
DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:
Albert thinks we might be ordered to help you with whatever they want you to do in this Laughing Jungle.

"Indeed?" Tebati asks with a touch of surprise as she accepts the bundled weapons and stows away the sack. "We would be glad of the assistance and the company, but from what we have been told, it is a most dangerous task. I'm not certain it's an assignment to be sought out -- although I suppose if we are successful, those who survive will receive accolades and advancement it might otherwise take years to earn." She offers the woman her hand. "Fare well, Unwe, and may fair winds hasten our reunion."

Later, in Freehold

Tebati bids a cheerful farewell to her cousin and sets off toward the market alone.


Male Human (Ijo) Monk 4 (Zen Archer)

Inside Cruthoniax's Curios

N'bellocq smiles and nods agreement at the offer. "That will be fine. I never had any coins till just recently and those got me this cloak. I would much prefer a well made item to a clink of metal in a bag."

N'bellocq looks around and then nods to the door. "Say, does this town have anyone that sells little brown squares of sweetness? You know, they are hard but melt as you hold them. I had a bit this morning with the caravan breakfast, but it was such a small piece. You liked it didn't you Qhude? Wasn't poison, no how. If I could find a bigger supply..."


Male Human Haunted Nature Oracle 4 (Ac 20 Cmd 20 Will+4 Ref+2 Fort+4)

Flexing WAAAAAAAAAAy back with Ansha.

Ansha wrote:
"...Well? Is that the future Lady Mulle?"

Jakob smirks. To Ansha's skilled senses it is clear is covering light annoyance with a poor attempt at humor. "Ah, the life of the upper class. You cannot gove a flower to a friend without people thinking of the stud book. Mind you marrying her might be worth it just to see Lady Madrona Daugustana's face at the wedding." A dry chuckle.

"No, that is not the future Lady Mulle. As I told the social Matriarch I will not entertain thoughts of marriage until after this little errand is finished. Unless I fall in love of course...then all bets are off."

Annnnnn now time.
Jakob seperates from Ansha and wanders the market for a time. Not really looking for anything just looking. Taking note on the feel of the place. The way the market is laid out. As the crowd begins to thin he heads for the Maw.

At the Maw.
I see Ansha is making friends quick enough. Playing with fire but then that is her forte." Jacob shrugs his pack off his shoulder and approaches the bar. "Room for one more in this fine house?"


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

On the road into town with Jakob:

Ansha gives him an amused look. "So the skip in your step, then. If not love, then...?" Clearly, she is being too proper to ask it aloud, but it is obvious that she is inquiring whether Jakob slept with Stephanie the previous night.

At the Lion's Maw

Slight retcon:

Ansha winks mischievously at Kieran as he announces himself to Bellis. She excuses herself to the bar when he inquires about rooms and orders her snifter of brandy. Only then does she make her way over to the merchants' table....

Present:

Ansha glances surreptitiously around the table at the other five human merchants, attempting to gauge their own levels of inebriation, her eyebrow raised at the one whose lap she is currently occupying. What an uncouth mouth! I wonder how much money he's carrying on him.... She sips her brandy, mulling it for a moment. She then leans down to whisper in the man's ear, her lips curving into a coy smile as her tongue lilts in the language of her youth: "Laa, nan ya sinte mammen i hui kanuva?"

Elven:
"No, but who knows where the night shall lead?"

Content for the moment to listen to the merchants' conversation, the enchantress makes a point to play the tease to her charmed man, and attempts to retain his interest into the night long enough to get him alone.


Male Human Haunted Nature Oracle 4 (Ac 20 Cmd 20 Will+4 Ref+2 Fort+4)

Flexing with the other blond. ;7)

Ansha Saeralyan wrote:

On the road into town with Jakob:

Ansha gives him an amused look. "So the skip in your step, then. If not love, then...?" Clearly, she is being too proper to ask it aloud, but it is obvious that she is inquiring whether Jakob slept with Stephanie the previous night.

"Can one not just be happy?" The smile and raised eyebrow tell Ansha that Jakob is aware of the subtext, and is well aware that he is not answering her unasked question.

"But if you need a reason than ascribe my mood to the day. For it is my birthday and I find myself unexpectedly alive. That should be worth a bit of a skip don't you think?"


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

Two-timer!

On the road into town:

"I've known precious few to be happy just because. Though I will be the first to admit that there is something wonderful about simply being among the trees," Ansha replies, her gaze momentarily distant as she recalls the tree-shrouded City of Silver Spires where she was born. Her eyes focus again on Jakob, and she adds, "Congratulations. Remind me later tonight, and I'll buy you a drink at the inn."


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

At Cruthoniax's Curios

Qhude nods easy acceptance of the gnome's terms as he notes N'bellocq's entrance "I have no objection Cru-Tho-Ni-Ax..." and after N'bellocq also accedes Qhude adds "We will be in town for two weeks. Will that be time enough?"

To the question of the brown squares: Qhude shakes his head "They were not to my liking, too sweet"

At the gnome's question of his goods: Qhude moves closer to the wall of cuiriosities, seeking out something that resembles a weapon he is familiar with "I am sorry little one... but I do not see any weapon that I know... they are all changed somehow. I am a man of simple tastes" he adds as a postscript by way of explanation.


Male Half-Elf Fighter 2nd/Rogue 2nd

"A gentleman, am I? Now that, my dear Lady Mara, is not a title I have been associated with all that often, and certainly not in a while," the half-elf retorts with a soft chuckle.

"But, to return to the business at hand, I would need a room for two," Kieran replies, his smile not diminished in the slightest, "and if there is a particularly good one, then all the better."

"If you would but name the price? I trust you to both find a suitable room and ask a fair price for it, so I find no need to haggle, yes?"


Your Humble Narrator

Back at the Caravans-

Tebati wrote:
DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:
Albert thinks we might be ordered to help you with whatever they want you to do in this Laughing Jungle.

"Indeed?" Tebati asks with a touch of surprise as she accepts the bundled weapons and stows away the sack. "We would be glad of the assistance and the company, but from what we have been told, it is a most dangerous task. I'm not certain it's an assignment to be sought out -- although I suppose if we are successful, those who survive will receive accolades and advancement it might otherwise take years to earn." She offers the woman her hand. "Fare well, Unwe, and may fair winds hasten our reunion."

Unwe took Tebati's hand but used it to pull her into a small embrace; short and quick but clearly well-meant.

Well, it doesn't sound like a pleasant assignment. But as you say Tebati, the prestige from success makes it an opportunity, to be sure. Look after Qhude for me and farewell; we'll see you in a few weeks time!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later, in the Freehold Market-

Tebati walked slowly through the streets and was met with warm and welcoming smiles by several locals who clearly recognised her as an outsider to their small town. She entered the beautiful clearing and it was hard not to be struck by the carefully maintained flowers and herbs grown there, outlying the circular ring of market stalls. A neat wooden sign reminded the inhabitants of the town not to pick the flowers/herbs or step on them, by order of The Council.

The central ring of market stalls acted as an outer perimeter for several "streets" of market stalls to criss-cross through the inside. It became swiftly apparent to Tebati that the stalls were remarkably well organised; almost into their own small, separate districts of Fruit & Vegetables, Meat & Poultry, Fish, Craftsmen's Tools, Weapons & Armour and many more. The sheer variety of goods available made it clear that Freehold was experiencing a boom in its economy or was far more prosperous than its humble size and population suggested.

As Tebati wandered the market, stall vendors enthusiastically called to her, sometimes in Taldane but just as often in Polyglot, asking her to peruse their wares. Even though the market was apparently winding down, there were enough citizens of Freehold and travellers to make the market feel fairly crowded. Tebati surmised it must be extremely unpleasant at peak times.

1d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16 Kno: Religion

One particular woman in the crowd caught Tebati's eye- a middle-aged Zenj woman dressed in the garb of a traditional Shamaness, but with a holy symbol of Erastil, Old Deadeye, around her neck. She was evidently a popular figure as she was frequently recognised and spoken to by many customers and vendors as she browsed the marketplace.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside Cruthoniax's Curios

N'bellocq wrote:

N'bellocq smiles and nods agreement at the offer. "That will be fine. I never had any coins till just recently and those got me this cloak. I would much prefer a well made item to a clink of metal in a bag."

N'bellocq looks around and then nods to the door. "Say, does this town have anyone that sells little brown squares of sweetness? You know, they are hard but melt as you hold them. I had a bit this morning with the caravan breakfast, but it was such a small piece. You liked it didn't you Qhude? Wasn't poison, no how. If I could find a bigger supply..."

Chocolate? Cruthoniax asked with a soft chuckle. The market has plenty for sale, although you won't find it cheap. You say you never had coins? Do you perhaps barter solely in pelts? Oh how delightful! Do you, perchance, hunt in the jungle N'bellocq?

Qhude wrote:

Qhude nods easy acceptance of the gnome's terms as he notes N'bellocq's entrance "I have no objection Cru-Tho-Ni-Ax..." and after N'bellocq also accedes Qhude adds "We will be in town for two weeks. Will that be time enough?"

To the question of the brown squares: Qhude shakes his head "They were not to my liking, too sweet"

At the gnome's question of his goods: Qhude moves closer to the wall of curiosities, seeking out something that resembles a weapon he is familiar with "I am sorry little one... but I do not see any weapon that I know... they are all changed somehow. I am a man of simple tastes" he adds as a postscript by way of explanation.

Cruthoniax looked up at Qhude almost sympathetically, clearly he thought that he was missing out. He excitedly assumed Qhude wanted to know more but spoke to N'bellocq as well, not wanting to leave him out of the (rather one sided) conversation.

Gnomish warriors need to take every edge they can muster, Qhude- few of us are blessed with bulging muscles! We particularly tend to favour pole-arms to keep lizards, kobolds and other such horrors out of arm's reach. Take this for example... he stretched up and removed the strange Glaive- the one with the cord and cog. You see this pulley here? You give it a firm yank, like so... Cruthoniax was fairly muscular for a Gnome and pulled it with little difficulty. The cord tugged on the cog tightly and with the force generated, the cog seemed to spin the circular blade on the edge of the pole with deadly force. It spun swiftly for a little under ten seconds before slowly coming to a halt. and as you can see, perpetual motion lets us compensate for our smaller frames. Unfortunately, it takes a strong Gnome to pull the cord long enough for the weapon to be effective in battle, which makes the weapon perhaps, a little self-defeating. Someday, someone will figure out how to power the cog with magic and then this Gnomish invention will be all the rage among warriors all over Golarion, mark my words he finished solemnly.

Cruthoniax seemed to remember that he was in the middle of a transaction and hastily moved over to a small printing press- he fiddled with a stencil for some time before creating two small receipts on separate pieces of paper- one for Qhude and one for N'bellocq, after asking for his name.

Going to assume N'bellocq has no problem sharing his name.

Two weeks then. Feel free to visit me any-time you like though! the Gnome said cheerfully, with a happy smile.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside the Lion's Maw

Jakob, see my post to Tebati for a market description. You'd have roughly the same experience.

Jakob Mulle wrote:


Jakob separates from Ansha and wanders the market for a time. Not really looking for anything just looking. Taking note on the feel of the place. The way the market is laid out. As the crowd begins to thin he heads for the Maw.

At the Maw.
I see Ansha is making friends quick enough. Playing with fire but then that is her forte." Jacob shrugs his pack off his shoulder and approaches the bar. "Room for one more in this fine house?"

The wench behind the bar smiled at Jakob. She was a small, pretty young Chelish girl with loose brown hair that fell a little over her slender shoulders. Her eyes met Jakob's with a slight twinkle in them as she replied.

We have several rooms available sir she said coolly. Right this way if you would care to peruse them?

She had the air of a professional despite her youth, and she set down the serving tray she was holding.

The dress she wore was cut enough to just give glimpses of her calves over her short boots as she walked, and from the way she walked, those glimpses were frequent enough to keep a wandering eye. The strings of an apron hung down the back of her dress, their lengths falling over the curve of her rear and to the backs of her knees. A scent of honey trailed behind her, and as she started to climb the stairs up to the rooms, she looked back over her shoulder at Jakob with a confident smile and asked him

So, where ya from? Your new in town, right? Whats your name? I'm Eliandra...

Ansha Saeralyan wrote:


Present:

Ansha glances surreptitiously around the table at the other five human merchants, attempting to gauge their own levels of inebriation, her eyebrow raised at the one whose lap she is currently occupying. What an uncouth mouth! I wonder how much money he's carrying on him.... She sips her brandy, mulling it for a moment. She then leans down to whisper in the man's ear, her lips curving into a coy smile as her tongue lilts in the language of her youth: "Laa, nan ya sinte mammen i hui kanuva?"

** spoiler omitted **

Content for the moment to listen to the merchants' conversation, the enchantress makes a point to play the tease to her charmed man, and attempts to retain his interest into the night long enough to get him alone.

Whatever Ansha said, it certainly had an effect on the merchant she was teasing. He gave her a throaty chuckle and his hand began to wander- it settled on the small of her back but Ansha had little doubt in her mind that it was merely a staging point for its eventual assault on her behind.

Ansha fairly quickly deduced that all of the merchants were pretty deep into their cups. The other five seemed to merely be tolerating her presence rather than enjoying it but with her attention apparently fully on her "seat", they picked up their conversation once more. Between various toasts and various boasts of their "gift of the gab" having secured the trade route contract, Ansha quickly learned that the merchants represented a trade guild based in Eleder and much like Bellis Mara had mentioned, they had recently opened a new gold mine.

Despite their state of inebriation, the merchants discussed logistical concerns- whether the Ivory Cross forces they had stationed there were sufficient to defend the mine, how best to transport the gold to Freehold, whether a deal could be brokered with Fort Bandu to extend assistance if it proved necessary...

Is Ansha planning to simply eavesdrop until an opportunity to "retire" for the night with her mark presents itself? Is she planning on halting his advances i.e. his wandering hands or indulge his overfriendliness? Some idea of your intentions (via PM if you like) will help me to understand what rolls to ask you to make etc.

Kieran Markavien wrote:

"A gentleman, am I? Now that, my dear Lady Mara, is not a title I have been associated with all that often, and certainly not in a while," the half-elf retorts with a soft chuckle.

"But, to return to the business at hand, I would need a room for two," Kieran replies, his smile not diminished in the slightest, "and if there is a particularly good one, then all the better."

"If you would but name the price? I trust you to both find a suitable room and ask a fair price for it, so I find no need to haggle, yes?"

Bellis Mara looked up at Kieran and scrutinised him closely. She answered a little harshly-

Jeggare's paying, so is not the price irrelevant to you? A gold coin and five silvers i'll be charging him, for your room for two.

The little Halfling hesitated, her voice a little quieter than before.

Not a Gentlemen eh? Would you happen to call yourself something of a Rake then, Kieran?

She leaned in still closer, casually rather than conspiratorially.

Kieran:

Someone who could do a job for coin with few questions asked? Should we speak further on this subject, or do I have you wrong? she asked, still speaking quietly.


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Qhude takes his receipt from the industrious gnome, still eyeing the contraptions on the wall with a jaundiced eye. After leaving the shop, he makes for the Maw after turning to see if N'bellocq was to come or make for the market of chocolate. If N'bellocq does go, Qhude farewells him and asks to speak to him later.

Arriving at the inn, he stands at the entrance still wearing his armor and carrying his guisarme, awaiting the staff to attend him. When he is so attended "I am with the others arriving, and am in need of a place to rest." pointing out Ansha and any of his other companions visible in the room.


Male Human (Ijo) Monk 4 (Zen Archer)

N'bellocq gives his name and takes his receipt, understanding that this will allow him to return and claim his items. He lingers to watch the demonstration, but sees little use of the strange gadgets. "Thank you for your attention, with these items."

At the possible parting, he looks out upon the crowds. Hmmm...I already lost my cousin. I do not think I fancy looking for her out there. But I will see what what comes to me before heading to the Maw.


Male Half-Elf Fighter 2nd/Rogue 2nd

"I rather prefer to avoid debts when I can help it, actually," Kieran says simply before handing the required amount to Bellis. "I trust Jeggare will not be charged now, yes?"

DM Alexander Kilcoyne:
"Tempting though the offer of coin is, I have played the game enough to know that usually there are more strings attached to such a deal than just the ones on the coin purse," the rogue retorts, his expression as calm and friendly as before. "And the fact that you prefer a newcomer -charming as I am, I am sure- rather than the more established ne'er-do-wells this town is bound to have intrigues me, but not enough to blindly accept. What do you say you tell me what this is all about and let me decide whether I take you up on it or not? After all, I am not one to go telling the authorities, even if I do end up saying no."

In case they are needed, here are some rolls.

Diplomacy 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Sense Motive 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (20) + 5 = 25

Finally some decent -more than decent actually- rolls and they are behind a spoiler... :-P


Male Human Haunted Nature Oracle 4 (Ac 20 Cmd 20 Will+4 Ref+2 Fort+4)
Eliandra wrote:


So, where ya from? Your new in town, right? Whats your name? I'm Eliandra...

"Yes, this is my first time in Freehold. Not what I expected really. Do you like it here?"


Male Human (Ijo) Monk 4 (Zen Archer)

N'belllocq will be specifically looking through the stalls for a new shirt to replace the one with the spear holes and blood stains. But the smells of various foods will likely keep him distracted till late.


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

At the Freehold Market

Tebati returns the welcome she receives from the citizens of Freehold with a warm smile of her own. It has been a long time since she wandered a market for sheer pleasure; the Custodian kept them on too tight a leash in Eleder, and she had never felt safe enough in Bloodcove or Port Freedom to spend any time in a marketplace without keeping an eye over her shoulder and a hand on her weapon. She takes some time to select a few pieces of the best remaining fruit and haggle amiably with the merchant over the price. The negotiation over, she tucks the extra fruit away carefully in her pack to carry back to the inn without bruising, keeping out a piece to eat as she walks, browsing the colorful wares and enjoying the feeling of being in a real community again.

She hesitates when she sees the Zenj shamaness, however. She knows Erastil as a god of farming and the hunt, so it is sensible that he be venerated on a ranch in the plains. Some of the Zenj tribes that grew food for Nantambu's markets followed him, along with the spirits of their lands, but Marisama had always spoken ill of the moralizing of his priests. Those of the jungle Zenj were all men, and it was said they disapproved of the goddess of the Bonuwat and her priestesses, believing all women should be wives and mothers. This is a woman, though, who bears his symbol, and she seems to be shamaness of the whole community.

Tebati watches her with interest for a while, trailing behind in the crowd as the older woman moves through the market. At last, when she has finished speaking to another marketgoer, Tebati approaches, stopping and lowering her head in respect before her. "Greetings, Mother."

Tell me how much to pay for the fruit. If the shamaness makes her own Knowledge (religion) check, she ought to recognize Tebati's ritual tattoos marking her as a priestess of Shimye-Magalla.


Your Humble Narrator

At the Freehold Market

N'bellocq wrote:


At the possible parting, he looks out upon the crowds. Hmmm...I already lost my cousin. I do not think I fancy looking for her out there. But I will see what what comes to me before heading to the Maw.

N'bellocq wandered the market for a time, keeping his eye open for Tebati but not finding her. He did, however, come across a stall which appeared to be selling the delicacy he had sampled- the brown substance Cruthoniax had called "chocolate".

He also found that he could buy an entire set of perfectly functional clothes for a mere silver piece.

Tebati wrote:

Tebati returns the welcome she receives from the citizens of Freehold with a warm smile of her own. It has been a long time since she wandered a market for sheer pleasure; the Custodian kept them on too tight a leash in Eleder, and she had never felt safe enough in Bloodcove or Port Freedom to spend any time in a marketplace without keeping an eye over her shoulder and a hand on her weapon. She takes some time to select a few pieces of the best remaining fruit and haggle amiably with the merchant over the price. The negotiation over, she tucks the extra fruit away carefully in her pack to carry back to the inn without bruising, keeping out a piece to eat as she walks, browsing the colorful wares and enjoying the feeling of being in a real community again.

She hesitates when she sees the Zenj shamaness, however. She knows Erastil as a god of farming and the hunt, so it is sensible that he be venerated on a ranch in the plains. Some of the Zenj tribes that grew food for Nantambu's markets followed him, along with the spirits of their lands, but Marisama had always spoken ill of the moralizing of his priests. Those of the jungle Zenj were all men, and it was said they disapproved of the goddess of the Bonuwat and her priestesses, believing all women should be wives and mothers. This is a woman, though, who bears his symbol, and she seems to be shamaness of the whole community.

Tebati watches her with interest for a while, trailing behind in the crowd as the older woman moves through the market. At last, when she has finished speaking to another marketgoer, Tebati approaches, stopping and lowering her head in respect before her. "Greetings, Mother."

Tell me how much to pay for the fruit. If the shamaness makes her own Knowledge (religion) check, she ought to recognize Tebati's ritual tattoos marking her as a priestess of Shimye-Magalla.

DM Only:

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

Tebati purchased some of the markets finest fruit after some pleasant haggling, leaving her 3 copper pieces poorer but with some excellent morsels in her possession.

The Zenj woman was approaching her fortieth year but although wrinkles were showing on her brow, she generally had quite a youthful looking face. She moved slowly and purposefully through the crowds and often touched the hands of those she smiled most warmly at as she toured the market. Tebati also noted that many stall owners handed over a small amount of their stock, which she carefully made note of and stored in a sack.

After being greeted, she looked coolly at Tebati, the older Shamaness letting her gaze wander over her slowly, noting the holy symbols Tebati wore and apparently recognising them.

Greetings, seafarer the Zenj woman replied softly, a hint of questioning in her tone. I am Ntisi. Welcome to Freehold.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inside the Lion's Maw

Kieran Markavien wrote:

"I rather prefer to avoid debts when I can help it, actually," Kieran says simply before handing the required amount to Bellis. "I trust Jeggare will not be charged now, yes?"

** spoiler omitted **

Bellis nodded her assent to Kieran in answer to his first query, and quickly pocketed the money with practised skill and speed- it seemed to disappear somewhere into her apron in a blur.

Kieran:

Bellis taps your chest firmly with a crooked finger.

Ne'er-do-wells? This is Freehold, young man. There are no real criminals here. I have a simple task for you. One of the ranchers is sweet on one of my serving girls. Actually, several men are sweet on her and don't mind spending coin to show it, if you understand what i'm getting at.

Bellis paused for a moment to allow the obvious implication to sink in.

Now, the stupid girl accidently took a valuable gold ring from the home of the rancher I mentioned. Some kind of family heirloom. I've confiscated it from her and I don't think the rancher is missing it yet. All I want you to do is sneak into his home and put the ring somewhere it could have been 'misplaced'. Under the bed, inside his pillow lining; use your imagination. Make sure no one sees you enter. The rancher will be home within a couple of hours and I want it back there before then. Do this and i'll have a pouch of coin for you later tonight and we'll agree to not speak of this again. Are we agreed?

Jakob Mulle wrote:
Eliandra wrote:


So, where ya from? Your new in town, right? Whats your name? I'm Eliandra...
"Yes, this is my first time in Freehold. Not what I expected really. Do you like it here?"

Eliandra gave her best smile as she presented a room to Jakob and replied to him as she led him inside. The room was clean and reasonably spacious, with a bed large enough for two and plenty of room to stow his things. The furniture in the room consisted of a large wooden table, a chamberpot and two bedside tables, one with a fresh candle.

I do like it here. Freehold's a grand place to live. We're something of a frontier town so there's always exciting people visiting! What do you think of our town so far? Do you like the look of this room? And you didn't tell me your name sir... she finished, putting on a hurt expression with teasing eyes as she brought up Jakob's refusal to give his name.


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4
Qhude wrote:
Arriving at the inn, he stands at the entrance still wearing his armor and carrying his guisarme, awaiting the staff to attend him. When he is so attended "I am with the others arriving, and am in need of a place to rest." pointing out Ansha and any of his other companions visible in the room.

Qhude continues to wait for service... ;)


Your Humble Narrator

The staff are very busy with Kieran and Jakob already, you'll just have to be patient Qhude ;).


Female Elf Wizard (Manipulator) 4

Follow Ansha's lead. Ansha is so very good at patiently awaiting the opportunity to mug--I mean seduce--her chosen victim.


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

Qhude is patient... for now...
Though considered making a crack about the colonials being served while the natives were made to wait... but thought better of it :P


Male Half-Elf Fighter 2nd/Rogue 2nd

DM Alexander Kilcoyne:
"Well, I have certainly never before broken into a house in order to put something in instead of taking something out," Kieran quips, his tone one of amusement. "Yes, we are indeed agreed. Shall we shake on it?"


Your Humble Narrator

Kieran:

Just get it done and don't draw attention to us... Bellis Mara muttered as she slipped Kieran a golden ring and moved off to serve Qhude, waiting patiently nearby.

Qhude wrote:
Qhude wrote:
Arriving at the inn, he stands at the entrance still wearing his armor and carrying his guisarme, awaiting the staff to attend him. When he is so attended "I am with the others arriving, and am in need of a place to rest." pointing out Ansha and any of his other companions visible in the room.

Having finished a quiet conversation with Kieran, the aging Halfling innkeeper approached Qhude.

Yes, yes- its all taken care of on Jeggare's tab she said wearily. Please, head on upstairs. Eliandra is already showing one of your companions the available rooms.


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

At the Freehold Market

DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:

The Zenj woman was approaching her fortieth year but although wrinkles were showing on her brow, she generally had quite a youthful looking face. She moved slowly and purposefully through the crowds and often touched the hands of those she smiled most warmly at as she toured the market. Tebati also noted that many stall owners handed over a small amount of their stock, which she carefully made note of and stored in a sack.

After being greeted, she looked coolly at Tebati, the older Shamaness letting her gaze wander over her slowly, noting the holy symbols Tebati wore and apparently recognising them.

Greetings, seafarer the Zenj woman replied softly, a hint of questioning in her tone. I am Ntisi. Welcome to Freehold.

"I am Tebati, of Nantambu," she replies. "I have only just arrived in Freehold, but I have indeed found your people most welcoming."


Your Humble Narrator
Tebati wrote:

At the Freehold Market

DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:

The Zenj woman was approaching her fortieth year but although wrinkles were showing on her brow, she generally had quite a youthful looking face. She moved slowly and purposefully through the crowds and often touched the hands of those she smiled most warmly at as she toured the market. Tebati also noted that many stall owners handed over a small amount of their stock, which she carefully made note of and stored in a sack.

After being greeted, she looked coolly at Tebati, the older Shamaness letting her gaze wander over her slowly, noting the holy symbols Tebati wore and apparently recognising them.

Greetings, seafarer the Zenj woman replied softly, a hint of questioning in her tone. I am Ntisi. Welcome to Freehold.

"I am Tebati, of Nantambu," she replies. "I have only just arrived in Freehold, but I have indeed found your people most welcoming."

Ntisi smiled politely and replied, hands clasped together and held down by her waist.

Well met. There is a strong sense of community right now in Freehold. Recent prosperity and the blessings of nature have helped to make this small town ever more peaceful in recent months. I hope you will enjoy your time here. Can I assist you in some manner, Tebati?


Male Human (Mwangi - Bas'o tribe) Barbarian (Brutal Pugilist archetype) 4

At the Maw

Qhude nods perfunctorily before moving up to where the aforementioned Eliandra is showing rooms. Qhude takes the first that is offered and dumps his gear unceremoniously at the foot of the bed. He then removes first his rope, and then his armor before moving downstairs barefoot and clad once more in only his bloodstained shorts.


Female Human (Bonuwat) Cleric 4

At the Freehold Market

DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:

Ntisi smiled politely and replied, hands clasped together and held down by her waist.

Well met. There is a strong sense of community right now in Freehold. Recent prosperity and the blessings of nature have helped to make this small town ever more peaceful in recent months. I hope you will enjoy your time here. Can I assist you in some manner, Tebati?

"I... no, Mother," Tebati stumbles over her words, her eyes on the ground. She feels as cowed and callow as she used to before Marisama, when the shamaness was disapproving. "I merely wished to pay you respect, as a visitor to your home."

Sorry, AK; I'm a little at sea in this encounter. I can't quite master the theological differences and alignment implications, and all I can come up with is, basically, "Hey, I'm a Mwangi shamaness; you're a Mwangi shamaness. So ... how about that?" Feel free to take control of the conversation or just be kind and cut her loose with a polite dismissal. :)

1,951 to 2,000 of 4,152 << first < prev | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM AK's Sargavan Saga All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.