Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Alexander Kilcoyne's Kingmaker PBP- Chapter 2 (Inactive)

Game Master Alexander Kilcoyne

"We are essentially pawns in a larger game - what we have to find out is who it is that are making the moves, and what we can do to become masters of our own destiny."

Spymaster Casimir, Aldori Duellist & Statkari


3,851 to 3,900 of 4,585 << first < prev | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | next > last >>

Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

We will certainly take the notes and the maps.
Let's compare the maps we just found to this illusion covered area to see if it is noted on the map with anything.


Male Taldan Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 5/ Hellknight 3 HP:81/81 AC:28 F:+11, R:+6, W:+8, CMD:25*, P:+10, I:+2, AOO:+16

Ricter's hand hovers over the handle of his flail, but he does not draw it. After the akward meeting with Calanwen he is aiming to be less hostile towards those the Baron may wish to negotiate with.

He also takes two steps back from Kip.


Your Humble Narrator

Checking Hargulka's notes, it seems he wasn't aware of any Fey presence here.

Kip gingerly opens the note, which reads-

Greetings to you, halfling! It seems your merry little band has found itself in the realm of Gwengwyvar, our Blodeuwedd Queen. This wonderful haven is hidden from the eyes of mortals for their safety and ours and we respectfully and humbly ask that you limit yourselves to the edges of our domain to complete your map.


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

What does every creature south of SwordHaven feel that own part of this land? he says with a little frustration in this voice.

If you wish us to reconize your claim on this land then I expect that party to deal with us directly!
Malthir says loudly and towards the hut...


Male Halfling 8th level Fey Bloodline Sorcerer
Stats:
Init +6 Perception +4 AC 20 Tch 14 FF 18 HP 62 Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +8 Spd 20' CMB +2 CMD 14 Acro+4 Bluff+11 Climb-1 Diplo+6 Disg+16 Esc+2 Fly+10 Know (Arca+6 Loc+7 Nat+7) Sense+0 Spellcraft+13 Stealth+14 Use Magic+12 Swim-1

Kip does his best not to smile as he comments upon Malthir's obvious frustration. Perhaps Baron, the freedom loving Fey of these parts have taken notice of your proclivity to negotiate and your binding word. Your lawful nature, and that of our new allies the Hell Knights, may have given the Fey creatures a new tactic in resisting Kardas' expansion. They are using your own character against you. They ask for civility and peaceful interaction and then hope that you uphold your word and respect their claims of independence. Two such requests in nearly as many days. I doubt it is coincidence. If this continues, there will be no place left to claim for Kardas...

Kip looks directly at Ricter as he adds, Just because they dislike rules and order doesn't mean they can't use it against us. Smart if you think about it. They turn your own beliefs against you...


Your Humble Narrator

The huts some distance away, several hundred feet. Is that where you're headed? I should clarify by the way, that not all Fey are chaotic; but to be fair, many of them are and a Lawful Fey is very rare.

Knowledge Nature DC16+:

A Blodeuwedd is a Fey creature; a shapely maiden with skin of velvety moss and living grass for hair.

The mysterious Blodeuwedds stand apart from dryads, their tree-bound sisters of the forest, instead watching over the open plains and prairies. They frequently guard the approaches to primeval, fey enclaves as well as various gateways and entry points into the First World—a task they take very seriously.

Blodeuwedds hide such regions behind veils of illusion and trickery, quietly observing anyone passing through their lands, and occasionally sending mysterious messages to warn them away or to summon allies that can drive them out. Even when not standing sentinel over a point of otherworldly importance, Blodeuwedds find spots of particular natural beauty, transforming such fields—usually only a few acres in size—into sites of unearthly lushness and natural wonder. A typical blodeuwedd stands a little over 5 feet tall, weighs 120 pounds, and may live up to 800 years.

Knowledge Nature DC18+:

The mention of a Blodeuwedd Queen gives you pause; such a foe could individually be even more powerful than Hargulka or Nagrundi. One Blodeuwedd is already a powerful force that few can overcome, but a Queen among them is usually several hundred years old, with even more abilities and magic than usual. Queens develop an even greater affinity for the lands they rule and attract even more followers. Even the youngest Blodeuwedd Queen can usually boast at least ten Blodeuwedd under her rule and many other Fey often choose to live in their domains, knowing the potent illusions, magic and might they can bring to bear is usually more than sufficient to keep an area safe for hundreds of years.

Knowledge Nature DC21+:

Like most Fey, Blodeuwedd are only particularly vulnerable to Cold Iron. In addition to their feminine appearance, Blodeuwedd are much like Boabhan Sith in another regard; they have few weaknesses in either body or mind. They can use Wild Empathy and have many magical abilities that assist them in obscuring, nurturing and defending their realm; many of which involve plant life, such as the ability to commune with plants at will, the entangle spell and plant growth. As you have discovered, Hallucinatory Terrain is another spell they can innately cast; although judging by the sheer size of this clearing this is the work of several Blodeuwedd's rather than one.

Instead of developing a lifelong bond with trees, blodeuwedds hold an affinity for open grasslands, moors, and plains. They survive off the land, taking nourishment from all that nature provides, while also looking after prairie animals in times of drought or lean winters. Unlike dryads, blodeuwedds have no dependency on the plants around them; they can willingly leave their chosen moor to visit their fey kin, scout their domain in owl form, or even mingle with frontier communities, changing shape to appear elven or human.

Knowledge Nature DC23+:

Blodeuwedd Queens possess all the abilities of their lesser sisters, but also possess additional spell-like abilities, including the ability to place a lesser geas upon those who particularly trouble them and summon nature's aid much like a Druid. In addition, their elusive nature manifests as a permanent nondetection spell.

Knowledge Nature DC26+:

Every 15 or so years, blodeuwedds may reproduce through a natural ritual of fertility known as the Blooming, a process by which they commune with the adopted plants of their surrounding field. At the height of the spring season, they then exchange pollen with every flower within 300 yards, a complicated and sensuous act that eventually allows a blodeuwedd to conceive. It takes 6 months to carry a new blodeuwedd to term, and they frequently come together to act as midwives during this time to ensure successful deliveries for one another. Some tales tell of blodeuwedds displaced from their homes or in captivity capable of performing the Blooming by drawing off the lifeforce of amorous men, ending in the withering death of the would-be father. Such legends give blodeuwedds a reputation for being dangerous seductresses in some regions. Blodeuwedds typically establish their own prairie holdings within 7 miles of each other for mutual support and ease of communication, but are known to live closer together clustered around a powerful Ley line or entrance to the First World.

Blodeuwedds make their homes out of sod, carving them from the landscape and then encouraging prairie grass to grow over the exterior to hide them. These elaborate structures resemble small rises and hillocks that overlook ley lines and fairy paths between sites of great power and importance to the fey, which the blodeuwedds jealously guard from nonfey creatures. Most fey recognize such service by referring to blodeuwedds with honorific titles meant to curry their favor. As a result, many blodeuwedds set themselves up as queens or wardens to receive tribute from favored kin who pass through their realms.

When forced to fight, Blodeuwedd rely on their magic as well as powerful claws and simple slings. At will, they can exude an aura of pollen and other irritating allergens that can render those that dare to face them sickened. In addition, they can infuse themselves with nature's power, drawing temporary nourishment from their lands in a manner with similar effect to a false life spell.

Every stride taken by a Blodeuwedd causes small plants, grasses, and wildflowers to sprout from the ground, though she can suppress this effect if she desires. While within a plain of tall grass, brush, or similar undergrowth, a blodeuwedd may also step through such plant-life and emerge at any other point within the same field (potentially miles away). This ability functions similar to transport via plants, but a blodeuwedd can only transport herself and does not require a plant equal to her size.

Knowledge Nature DC31+:

You are an expert on Blodeuwedd, having researched them extensively, had first contact with them or perhaps both. You may freely view the typical Blodeuwedd statblock.

Link

Knowledge Nature DC33+:

You are an expert on Blodeuwedd and their Queens, having researched them extensively, had first contact with them or perhaps both. You may freely view the typical Blodeuwedd Queen statblock.

Link


Your Humble Narrator

Knowledge Nature DC26+ (additional info I forgot to include):

Blodeuwedds tend to be Chaotic Neutral in alignment.


Male Taldan Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 5/ Hellknight 3 HP:81/81 AC:28 F:+11, R:+6, W:+8, CMD:25*, P:+10, I:+2, AOO:+16

"Kip speaks wisely, Baron. Your domain will be a shadow of what it could be if you grant vast swathes of land to every creature that asks for it."

Ricter gestures to the lush fields stretching almost to the horizon

"These medows could feed hundreds of settlers - or starving refugees, which we know could well be coming - if your subjects farmed them. This Gwengwyvar wants to horde it all for what? A hidden garden! I call that brazen greed"

He looks to the hut

"We have seen first hand how lethal the forests in this part of the Stolen Lands can be. Think how many men would have to die to clear this much land for agriculture. It could all be avoided if we oust this so-called queen. We could even be kind and let her keep her cottage and a small plot of land."


Male (HP 49/71, AC- 23 T- 15 FF- 18 CMD- 28, F +11, R +10, W +6, P +15*, In +3*, AOO +17) Half-orc Ranger (Guide) 7/Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 1

How would you be different from marauders and riff-raff, if you took this land in the name of Kardas, Ricter? What claim do you, or any of us, have to it, that is stronger than those who already live here? Kalev asks, looking at Ricter with an appraising gaze.


Male Taldan Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 5/ Hellknight 3 HP:81/81 AC:28 F:+11, R:+6, W:+8, CMD:25*, P:+10, I:+2, AOO:+16

"The perfect world is one united beneath a single, universal law. Larger empires and stronger governments mean greater prosperity and security for all. The inhabitant of this region does not know it yet, but her life will be richer and easier under the rule of Swordhaven. It is our duty to bring as many creatures of this land as possible under the control of one central government - and in the process, bring them together into one united community."


Your Humble Narrator

Kalev may also want to roll knowledge nature :).


Male (HP 49/71, AC- 23 T- 15 FF- 18 CMD- 28, F +11, R +10, W +6, P +15*, In +3*, AOO +17) Half-orc Ranger (Guide) 7/Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 1

Sounds little different from the protection rackets of the big cities in Brevoy, but I'm no expert on politics or civics... Kalev says, with just a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

Know: Nature: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (19) + 9 = 28


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

We are not conquerer's putting anyone down who doesn't agree with our ways...but some of the Fey do seem to oppose us on a larger than local level, those Fey are our enemies.
We should determine if this is one of those cases. We can discuss this more once we find out what this illusion and land is all about...


hp 32/66, AC 26/17/20, CMD 23/24, F: +8, R: +11, W: +7, init: +5, per: +10 Human Bard 6/Fighter 2

Assuming Kalev shares the info gathered from hin awseome knowledge roll.

Casimir listens intently as Kalev tells the Guardians what he knows of Blodeuwedd.

"If this information is accurate, and we are indeed on the edge of a Blodeuwedd Queen's domain, we should thread with caution. We would find ourselves in over our heads, I fear. For the time being, it is probably best to comply with the request, and seek to learn more of these Blodeuwedd and their Queen. "

He glances about, mindful of their previous encounters with invisible or hidden fey creatures.

"Also...when dealing with fey in the wilds, I find it best to assume that we are under observation at all times - so we might want to save any detailed discussion of our plans for another time." he says pointedly.


Male Halfling 8th level Fey Bloodline Sorcerer
Stats:
Init +6 Perception +4 AC 20 Tch 14 FF 18 HP 62 Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +8 Spd 20' CMB +2 CMD 14 Acro+4 Bluff+11 Climb-1 Diplo+6 Disg+16 Esc+2 Fly+10 Know (Arca+6 Loc+7 Nat+7) Sense+0 Spellcraft+13 Stealth+14 Use Magic+12 Swim-1

Kip listens as Kalev recounts what he knows of Blodeuwedd's. Fascinating! I do hope we can meet some of them one day. And I must say Kalev, you sure know a lot about the Fey! I mean I have Fey blood in my veins and my own knowledge pales in comparison. Perhaps it is time I learned more...

As Casimir speaks, Kip nods in agreement. I find it is best to assume that as well... be careful what you say everyone. I have no desire to upset some of my cousins! Kip offers with a wink as his gaze once again returns to Ricter.

That said, I agree with the Baron in that we are going to need more information to proceed. At the very least, we require additional information regarding the boundaries of the Blodeuwedd's realm, that we might avoid it in our further explorations.

Kip looks down at the fox and smiles. I bet you can tell us what we need to know, can't you!


Your Humble Narrator

The fox doesn't respond to Kip's look or smile. It looks a little confused by what it is doing there.


Male Halfling 8th level Fey Bloodline Sorcerer
Stats:
Init +6 Perception +4 AC 20 Tch 14 FF 18 HP 62 Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +8 Spd 20' CMB +2 CMD 14 Acro+4 Bluff+11 Climb-1 Diplo+6 Disg+16 Esc+2 Fly+10 Know (Arca+6 Loc+7 Nat+7) Sense+0 Spellcraft+13 Stealth+14 Use Magic+12 Swim-1

Kip continues to look at the fox for a moment, as if expecting more. No? Ok. With that he reaches into his pack and pulls out a small piece of dried jerky and tosses it to the animal. You have performed admirably, so here is a treat for you!

He then looks around, speaking to the thin air, Can anyone help us then? ...Anyone?


Male Taldan Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 5/ Hellknight 3 HP:81/81 AC:28 F:+11, R:+6, W:+8, CMD:25*, P:+10, I:+2, AOO:+16

Likewise assuming Kalev shares the results of his knowledge roll

"It sounds like even the least of these creatures calls itself a queen. We may not be that far outclassed, Casimir. That said, we don't know that for sure"

Upon hearing about the prefered homes of the Blodeuwedd, Ricter clenches his fist an begins to detect chaos on the nearest hillock.

"And you're right, we should wait until we are far away from here before we talk further. There is, after all, much to discuss"

The Hellknight's hand grips the hilt of the mace, ready to draw it at a moment's notice. He stands as if he's in the lair of a monster, not a sunlit field. Once his detection is complete he looks back at Kip and sees him completely at ease.

"You think we are safe, Magister? There is a dangerous outsider guarding this region and it could be anywhere. We have no way of knowing how it will react to our presence! None!"

"Do you really think your blood will win you it's favour!? Devils make no special allowances for the sorcerers they spawn, what makes you think Fey are any different?"


HP: 23/60 AC: 22, T:13, FF:21, CMD:16. Fort:+5, Ref:+5, Will:+8. Per:+14, Init:+0, AoO:+8

"While I agree that it would be better for all if everyone in these lands were united under the banner of Kardas," Fenna says to Ricter, "most people, particularly the freedom loving fey, are far more likely to accept rule based on respect and mutual gain than rule at the point of a sword. If we attempt to subjugate the inhabitants of the Narlmarches by force, I have no doubt that our enemies' numbers would swell far beyond the troll horde we just faced."


Your Humble Narrator

The whole clearing is very big Ricter, at least several hundred feet in diameter. You detect no chaos in your immediate vicinity though the nearest hillock is some distance away.

As you debate your next course of action, the very land itself seems to rise up around you. Grass, creepers and hedges swell to masses far beyond their normal growth in but a moment as vines and thistles grow instantly from the plants, surrounding you with a thick, dense thicket of vegetation that blocks your vision of the clearing in mere seconds. The clearly magically grown vegetation extends to a height of about twelve feet.

Its hard to tell how far the plant growth extends, but it encircles you. You all note that a small ten feet radius in which you comfortably stand talking has been excluded from the effect, as well as a narrow path through the vegetation leading back to the forest edge. The hint is obvious.

Proceeding through the vegetation is likely to be exceptionally hard going. You imagine you will essentially have to hack or force your way through.

We're talking a speed of 5 foot through this terrain, so not just difficult terrain.


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

Malthir examines the vegetation to see if it is indeed real due to the other illusions they have faced. Feel free to roll for me...

Malthir looks in the direction of the hut and says loudly...
We are asking for a parley, nothing else.
If you forcibly remove us from "your lands" then we will interpret this as a hostile action towards us and consider you such going forward.
We would not forcibly remove you from our lands if you were doing no harm and just traveling through.

Malthir looks to the others and waits for a few minutes for a response. If none is forthcoming then he leads them out through the path presented to them until they are out of this section of land.


Your Humble Narrator

Anyone in or at the hut is extremely unlikely to hear shouting at this distance.

The vegetation feels real to the touch- and in response to Malthir's shout a gust of wind blows into your small radius of respite; and the wind carries a message with it, the winds carrying it in a haunting, soft feminine voice. As soon as the message is finished, the wind immediately dies away, no longer sustained.

We are not your enemies, yet you are not welcome in this sacred place. Such a gross misinterpretation of our caution endears you little, mortal.

The magically inclined within the group have little doubt that this is a whispering wind spell at work.


Male Halfling 8th level Fey Bloodline Sorcerer
Stats:
Init +6 Perception +4 AC 20 Tch 14 FF 18 HP 62 Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +8 Spd 20' CMB +2 CMD 14 Acro+4 Bluff+11 Climb-1 Diplo+6 Disg+16 Esc+2 Fly+10 Know (Arca+6 Loc+7 Nat+7) Sense+0 Spellcraft+13 Stealth+14 Use Magic+12 Swim-1

I would prefer to keep my blood out of any confrontation actually Ricter... Kip replies with his usual mischievous grin. We do know how they reacted to our presence, they sent us this polite note, Kip waves the piece of parchment, asking us to afford them some measure of respect. That leads me to believe I am safe enough for the moment, although repeated slander and thinly veiled threats made against the inhabitants does make me feel less so with each comment made.

Kip shakes his head as he adds, And such nonsense comparing Devils to Fey... really...

As the vegetation encapsulates the Guardians Kip takes hold of his reigns and prepares to ride through the gap. He cringes as Malthir mentions "hostile action". So much for thinly veiled... and that confirms we are being watched. Now now, let us not be hasty and say things we may later regret...

As the wind blows, delivering its message, Kip again shakes his head. Right. I think we have officially overstayed our welcome. Off we go then.


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

Agreed, we have been shown the way out, let us leave.

Is this area effectively the entire hex or just part of it?


Your Humble Narrator

Its just part of it. A hex is over a hundred square miles, this is not nearly so large. But the clearing, as Ricter pointed out, is incredibly lush and fertile land, very likely treated regularly with plant growth spells but somehow enhanced even beyond that. It would produce as much as one of your normal farm hexes if worked.

You leave unmolested and skirt around the now revealed magical clearing, mapping the rest of the hex throughout the day and noting its location for possible future reference; in particular as its likely you may once again fall prey to its glamer in future.

1d100 ⇒ 62

25XP for exploration and you may want to remember to add the clearing to your map. Malthir can I get an updated map from you before we proceed, cross-referencing the map on the group site with mine is giving me a headache trying to place hexes without seeing them.


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

We should head North and explore around the south side of the lake and continue our exploration of this southern area after that.

Go into A66 then back SE zigzagging the southern reaches then head north to close out the exploration of that area.


Your Humble Narrator

The mood of your band is generally rather sour after the events of the past few days. Malthir in particular seems troubled by the implications of Fey involvement in the attempts to destabilise the fledgeling Barony of Kardas.

Ricter finds himself wondering about his father's soul- the month of Pharast always brings back memories of his Pharasmite father.

Kip and Kalev though, seem to sleep extremely peacefully. Casimir has few complaints but Fenna... Fenna has a strange dream that disturbs her rest. A changeling boy, his heritage not what it seems, grows quickly into a troubled young man before her minds eye- only to transform suddenly into a young red dragon, a dragon with confusion and fear in its eyes, a wyrmling that consumes itself in flames high in the sky; and simultaneously the banners of Kardas and Brevoy can be seen on the opposite sides of a field of battle far below on the ground. As the two armies meet in bloody battle and decimate one another, the fire and smoke above the battlefield clears and the frightened Wyrmling has been replaced by an Ancient Wyrm- a harbinger of destruction with the fires of tyranny in its eyes that descends on both weakened armies...

5th of Pharast, 4713

1d100 ⇒ 96

1d100 ⇒ 11. 1d100 ⇒ 12

The group's spirits rise a little as it becomes clear that your close to emerging out of the Narlmarches. You head north-east into the area east of the dragon's territory and begin to map it out. The day's exploration of even more dense forest is relatively uneventful- Kalev encounters several boars while hunting for food and you eat extremely well in the evening, his hunting prowess so proficient that they never truly stood a chance against him. Perhaps its the fine boar you feast on or just the knowledge that the damned forest will no longer obscure the stars tomorrow night, but you sleep well.

1d100 ⇒ 23

25XP for exploration

6th of Pharast, 4713

1d100 ⇒ 90

The dense forests give way almost immediately to the hills of the Kamelands as you begin to zigzag your way across the southern section of the Greenbelt, heading south-east out of the forest. This particular area of the hills seems almost devoid of life; you spy some birds and the occasional predator but it seems even the animals don't care to frequent this area.

1d100 ⇒ 33

1d100 ⇒ 60

25XP for exploration

7th of Pharast, 4713

1d100 ⇒ 96

You head north-east and continue to explore the hills of the Kamelands. This area links up with the Shrike River, which you are able to cross at the mouth of Candlemere Lake and then double back on yourselves to continue exploring. You have no significant encounters and get to have quite a relaxing day riding in a rare day of magnificent sunshine.

Malthir receives a serious message from Vaysh that evening rather than her usual soft greetings and well wishes.

My Baron. The Hellknights have begun to appear in Swordhaven. They have been respectful, polite to a fault. Their Signifer claims they were teleported here.

I'll assume you include a response in your next post and i'll retcon a reply if necessary etc.

1d100 ⇒ 18

1d100 ⇒ 39

25XP for exploration

8th of Pharast, 4713

1d100 ⇒ 44

You head south-east and continue to explore the hills of the Kamelands. This area interlinks with the Shrike River that continues to head south, perhaps eventually going as far as Mivon. You cross it at a ford and you realise your getting fairly close to where you fought the Owlbear with Maegar Varn. A heavy downpour of rain makes coming back across the ford problematic but with perseverance and stubbornness, you make it back across.

1d100 ⇒ 90

1d100 ⇒ 62

25XP for exploration

9th of Pharast, 4713

1d100 ⇒ 96

You head north-east and continue to explore the hills of the Kamelands. This area interlinks at a T junction of rivers- where the Shrike River meets the east-flowing Little Sellen river. At the point where the three waterways meet, you come across an abandoned ferry station. Although its seen better days with its half-collapsed, rotting wooden buildings, the boats are in decent condition and although there are signs that bandits once frequented this place, it seems Kardas' fearsome reputation has scattered them before you even arrived.

Were you to establish a permanent settlement here, you would be able to convert the ferry station into a pier with minimal hassle.

1d100 ⇒ 49

1d100 ⇒ 54

25XP for exploration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pausing to allow for discussion, RP, messages to Vaysh, and another map update from Malthir. Next update will continue with the events of the 10th of Pharast.


HP: 23/60 AC: 22, T:13, FF:21, CMD:16. Fort:+5, Ref:+5, Will:+8. Per:+14, Init:+0, AoO:+8

Waking from her troubled sleep, Fenna looks silently upwards to the moonlight filtering through the gently rustling leaves, and her thoughts are once again drawn to the letter received from her old friend. The troll invasion, and the subsequent efforts to restore Swordhaven to some semblance of order, had provided the gnome prophetess a compelling excuse to avoid the issue. But even once the beginnings of normality had settled, she had been reluctant to give her thoughts of Galen much heed; some part of her insisting that she was reading too much into the coincidence, and instead of reading the letter when she had found it amongst the papers on her desk, she had simply told herself that more pressing issues had to be considered first, and placed it in her pack.

Now though, it seemed that her suppressed concerns would no longer allow themselves to be ignored. Nonetheless, it was perhaps another half hour before she let out a quiet breath and propped herself up to retrieve the letter and piece of prophecy that troubled her.

Laying both documents on the ground, she intently reads them over several times, until eventually she simply stares at the papers mutely.

Knowledge(history) 1d20 + 6 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 6 + 10 = 19. Probably not as appropriate as Knowledge(nobility) for this, but what sort of relationship did House Medvyed have with House Rogarvia? Is Fenna aware of any public marriages between the two?


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

To Vaysh
Please show them all courtesies and house them in the castle for the moment, let them know it is temporary. We return within the week.

@ Ricter and group...
So some of your fellow knights have made it to SwordHaven. They have exceeded my expectations...this pleases me. We will return as soon as we can, but for now we should finish what we set out to do.

We will know these lands finally and build a kingdom worthy of the people who have placed their trust in us!

The next day to Vaysh,
Ask them to start right away patrolling the streets. We expect them to help where they can until the Guardians return to SwordHaven. Love always.

To the other Guardians, Malthir seems to be mulling over the maps that the Trolls had...
I am sorry if I seemed to react ill to the Fey Queens treatment of us. To be honest I trust the Fey no longer. All of you remember the Nixie whom we fought that led the forest against us...
What I did not tell you was a warning she gave me before I struck her down. She talked about a time to come when the Fey had plans for our lands...for Kardas and that our people would die.
And now a hand guiding the trolls, helping them. At first I thought it might be another country, but after all of the Fey markings to avoid their territory...I assume they must be aligning against us, using our enemies to weaken us.

He looks at each one of the Guardians, a somber look on his face.
We must consider most of them a threat. There is a larger force at work here...maybe something trying to align them against us. I don't trust this Fey Queen. She may not have done anything to Kardas that we know of...yet, but should we sit idly by and wait for them to strike next?
We will not attack innocent creatures, but neither should we sit idly by and wait for them to attack us!
Speak your mind Statkari, I would hear your wisdom!!!


Male (HP 49/71, AC- 23 T- 15 FF- 18 CMD- 28, F +11, R +10, W +6, P +15*, In +3*, AOO +17) Half-orc Ranger (Guide) 7/Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 1

Malthir, I count your judgment wise, in the past as well as this, yet I hope it isn't true, though I have myself thought some of the same thoughts as you now speak openly. Yet, I know that if we start a war, strike first against the First, we will certainly face an enemy...and one that I fear will do more damage than the trolls and anything else we have faced. Therefore, I counsel that we do not seek out enemies where none yet appear. Let us be on guard, but not aggressive towards anyone who hasn't been hostile towards us.


"So the Fey have plans for Kardas. It is good to hear that my bretheran have already arrived. You should remember, baron, that you are not without allies. You need not fear the creatures of the stolen lands. On the other hand, even I can see it would be foolish to indiscriminantly attack beings this powerful. We need to complete the mapping of this area - drive further south until civilization begins to set in again. Then will we be able properly assess what we are up against. We must make absolutely sure Kardas doesn't not exist only at the whim of the Fey. This may mean strengthening ourselves or weakening them"


Male Halfling 8th level Fey Bloodline Sorcerer
Stats:
Init +6 Perception +4 AC 20 Tch 14 FF 18 HP 62 Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +8 Spd 20' CMB +2 CMD 14 Acro+4 Bluff+11 Climb-1 Diplo+6 Disg+16 Esc+2 Fly+10 Know (Arca+6 Loc+7 Nat+7) Sense+0 Spellcraft+13 Stealth+14 Use Magic+12 Swim-1

Kip looks to the Baron as he speaks. He raises an eyebrow at the mention of the Nixie's dying words. Why are we just learning of this now? Why would you withhold such information from us? I did not agree with her summary execution but have held my tongue on the matter until now.

Kip is troubled by the revelation, and by his own admission. He scrunches up his face before asking, What exactly did she say? I find it extremely disturbing, and to be honest, entirely implausible that all of the Fey are involved in such a campaign. Many of them are good creatures! What of our fey allies? Do you distrust them as well?

Forgive me for saying so, but I think you presume too much based upon too little. While I admit some occurrences lately might lead one to believe such a thing is possible... I would prefer actual evidence before we do something we regret.

Kip nods in agreement with Kalev's comments, and somewhat surprisingly, with Ricter 's as well.

I think further investigation is warranted at any rate... regarding both the dragon's, and the Queen's, "requests". Perhaps I could attempt to make contact with the Blodeuwedds again... alone or with Fenna possibly? Offer an exchange of information. Negotiate a pact of some sort...

And Fenna, do you think that you could commune with the night sky and divine us some guidance in these matters?


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

I thought they were idle threats until now. These things.. looks down at the maps, ...have convinced me otherwise. I am not saying that all Fey are against us Kip, but even the good ones may sit by and watch while some try to destroy us.
As you have said, we must be vigilant and see what happens next.


Your Humble Narrator
Malthir Al Dagon wrote:

To Vaysh

Please show them all courtesies and house them in the castle for the moment, let them know it is temporary. We return within the week.

The next day to Vaysh,
Ask them to start right away patrolling the streets. We expect them to help where they can until the Guardians return to SwordHaven. Love always.

Vaysh's reply the next day-

I have done as you asked. There are protests in the streets about the presence of Hellknights in Kardas. They are a minor concern however.

Vaysh's message on the 9th.

We have assuaged the people's concerns somewhat. With the many threats we have recently faced, most people have accepted our new alliance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fenna Thistleswade wrote:


Knowledge(history) 1d20+6+10. Probably not as appropriate as Knowledge(nobility) for this, but what sort of relationship did House Medvyed have with House Rogarvia? Is Fenna aware of any public marriages between the two?

Fenna's not aware of any public marriages between Rogarvia and Medvyed before House Rogarvia's disappearence in the Vanishing fourteen years ago. Fenna knows that Medyved followed suit fairly swiftly after Surtova surrended to Choral the Conqueror's original army in 4499. Relations between Medvyed and Rogarvia were always reasonably friendly but not nearly as close as the ties by marriage the Surtovans had or the staunch loyalty the Orlovsky's had to Rogarvia.

You would be able to roll again with research in the library and with a +2 bonus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

10th of Pharast, 4713

1d100 ⇒ 35

You continue exploring, travelling towards the very south-east of the Greenbelt. Scattered amongst the many hills in this area, you spot numerous small and discrete burial mounds. You have the impression that a great battle must have once taken place here.

1d100 ⇒ 33

1d100 ⇒ 7, 1d100 ⇒ 93

25XP for exploration

Party Perception:

Casimir- 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
Malthir- 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (5) - 1 = 4
Fenna- 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (19) + 13 = 32 (GM reminder- + 19 at night)
Ricter- 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (10) + 10 = 20
Kalev- 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (19) + 15 = 34 (GM reminder- terrain bond)
Kip- 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

4d6 ⇒ (5, 2, 1, 4) = 12

Fenna and Kalev wake up rather suddenly in the middle of the night to the sound of what sounds like wolf howls. The loud and distinct noises are not particularly close, but certainly within a few miles.

Knowledge Nature DC25:

Its very difficult to tell a Wolf's howl apart from that of a Worg, but noting the slight auditory difference you determine the sounds are coming from the latter- several of them at least.


1 person marked this as a favorite.

In response to Vaysh's replies regarding the Hellknights, if Malthir relays them:

"Do not be alarmed by the protests, Baron. That will be the complaints of lawbreakers and oppertunists who hoped Kardas would be soft. I have seen it in the past. Most of your subjects will be quietly relieved that emotionless armoured figures stand between them and the horrors of the forest rather than their own sons and husbands."


HP: 23/60 AC: 22, T:13, FF:21, CMD:16. Fort:+5, Ref:+5, Will:+8. Per:+14, Init:+0, AoO:+8

"As Malthir suggested, I will attempt to gain some insight into these matters upon our return to Swordhaven," Fenna replies to Kip, before listening thoughtfully to the Baron's comments. "It is quite likely that many fey who wish us no harm would stand by and do nothing should other turn against us, but is that something you would hold against them? If Surtova were to press matters against us regarding tribute, would you judge Lord Varn harshly if he chose not to intervene?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Waking to the nearby howls, Fenna takes a moment to attune herself to the sound, letting the connection to the First World which flows through her veins find the meaning within the animal's voices.

Speak with animals


Your Humble Narrator

Fenna attunes herself to the wolf tongue but strangely, the howls sound no more understandable to her than before. It becames apparent to the prophetess that the distant sounds have also awoken Kalev, who is stirring nearby.


hp 32/66, AC 26/17/20, CMD 23/24, F: +8, R: +11, W: +7, init: +5, per: +10 Human Bard 6/Fighter 2

I didn't realize it was almost a week since my last post. Sorry about that.

In response to the talk of hostile fey and Malthir's mention of the nixie's final words.

"It would seem that like the Taldane settlers before us, we are learning that this land is not easily settled, and that not all of the original inhabitants look favorably on new neighbors. I can't help but wonder if the fey were involved in the failure of previous attempts to settle these lands. We would do well to research this matter further once we return to Swordhaven.

On thing is for certain. We should be very careful about who we trust. And we might have to make peace with the fact that if we want to keep expanding, we will have to build our new cities and farms on ground soaked by the blood of the creatures who were here first."

Regarding the Hellknights
"I suppose it was to be expected that more than a few people would get excited by the sight of Hellknights marching through the streets of Swordhaven. The sooner we find our new friends a place of their own outside the city limits, the better for everyone, I think."

Regarding the howls

"ZZZzzzz...."


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

Malthir lays there sleeping comfortably in his armor....


Male Halfling 8th level Fey Bloodline Sorcerer
Stats:
Init +6 Perception +4 AC 20 Tch 14 FF 18 HP 62 Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +8 Spd 20' CMB +2 CMD 14 Acro+4 Bluff+11 Climb-1 Diplo+6 Disg+16 Esc+2 Fly+10 Know (Arca+6 Loc+7 Nat+7) Sense+0 Spellcraft+13 Stealth+14 Use Magic+12 Swim-1

We aren't going to have another incident involving Ricter running around in his unmentionables again are we? ;)


Your Humble Narrator

Hes just testing the resolve of the Guardians and holding out until you buy him some leather pyjamas.


Male (HP 49/71, AC- 23 T- 15 FF- 18 CMD- 28, F +11, R +10, W +6, P +15*, In +3*, AOO +17) Half-orc Ranger (Guide) 7/Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 1

Knowledge: Nature 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10

Kalev is instantly wide awake and on his feet. Seeing that Fenna is also awake, he says, You heard that too? It sounds far off, but I can't determine if there are one or many, or if they are hostile. Should we wake the others?


I wasn't completely indecent. I was wearing my helmet


HP: 23/60 AC: 22, T:13, FF:21, CMD:16. Fort:+5, Ref:+5, Will:+8. Per:+14, Init:+0, AoO:+8

"That may be best," Fenna whispers to Kalev and pushing herself to her feet, "I am unsure exactly what creatures are making those howls, but I am fairly certain they are not wolves."


Male (HP 49/71, AC- 23 T- 15 FF- 18 CMD- 28, F +11, R +10, W +6, P +15*, In +3*, AOO +17) Half-orc Ranger (Guide) 7/Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 1

Kalev quietly rouses the others, telling them that wolves or other beasts are about, while keeping Cleft at the ready.


When awoken, Ricter immediately begins to don his armour, keeping a eye on the edge of the firelight.

"I thought the wolves of this land were Kardas' allies. They fought to defend swordhaven, after all"


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

Not all...and who knows if these are wolves or something else.
Malthir has his shield on standing next to Ricter assisting him...


Your Humble Narrator

As Malthir is assisting Ricter into his Hellknight Platemail, the howling continues. A few minutes pass and the howls turn more bestial in nature, almost becoming snarls. They do not, however, sound any closer.

Staying put until the armour's on?


hp 32/66, AC 26/17/20, CMD 23/24, F: +8, R: +11, W: +7, init: +5, per: +10 Human Bard 6/Fighter 2

Casimir moves to assist Malthir and Ricter with the armor, while listening intently to the howls.

Knowledge (nature) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

"They sound like regular wolves to me - something appears to have them riled up. I think it was a wise precaution to wake us."


Male Halfling 8th level Fey Bloodline Sorcerer
Stats:
Init +6 Perception +4 AC 20 Tch 14 FF 18 HP 62 Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +8 Spd 20' CMB +2 CMD 14 Acro+4 Bluff+11 Climb-1 Diplo+6 Disg+16 Esc+2 Fly+10 Know (Arca+6 Loc+7 Nat+7) Sense+0 Spellcraft+13 Stealth+14 Use Magic+12 Swim-1

Kip pops up immediately upon being roused, slinging his trusty pack and grabbing up his walking stick as he stands, while murmuring his agreement with Casimir's sentiment.

Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Hearing the apparent change in their demeanor, Kip offers, They don't appear to be moving closer to us. Perhaps the focus of their attention is someone, or something, else nearby. Should we investigate?

Kip eyes the sky trying to determine how well he could see if he were to take to flight.

3,851 to 3,900 of 4,585 << first < prev | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81 | 82 | 83 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Alexander Kilcoyne's Kingmaker PBP- Chapter 2 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.