Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

DM Alexander Kilcoyne's Kingmaker PBP- Chapter 2 (Inactive)

Game Master Alexander Kilcoyne

"We are essentially pawns in a larger game - what we have to find out is who it is that are making the moves, and what we can do to become masters of our own destiny."

Spymaster Casimir, Aldori Duellist & Statkari


3,701 to 3,750 of 4,585 << first < prev | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | next > last >>

Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

He is still currently prone correct?


hp 65/66, AC 26/17/20, CMD 23/24, F: +8, R: +11, W: +7, init: +5, per: +10 Human Bard 6/Fighter 2

"Kalev, stay down until Kip can hit him with another laughing spell!" Casimir shouts as he holds on to the dangling halfling.


Male Taldan Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 5/ Hellknight 3 HP:81/81 AC:28 F:+11, R:+6, W:+8, CMD:25*, P:+10, I:+2, AOO:+16

Wow, that description of hideous laughter made the spell sound far more brutal than I always imagined it to be. Also, Kip's verbal component actually made me lol a bit.

Ricter slams his flail into the stone wall in front of him, it's magically accelerated head crashing into the masionary...

Full round two-handed power attack vs the stretch of wall seperating A7 and A8. As far as I can tell the wall will have AC10 - 5 for having dex 0 - 2 for the miscillaneous object penalty + 0 for being medium sized (I'm attacking a medium sized chunk of it because I want to make a medium sized hole). Therefore these attacks will only miss on a natural 1:

1d20 ⇒ 4

1d20 ⇒ 16

With that out of the way, on to the damage:

Hit 1 (-8 damage from hardness): 1d8 + 15 - 8 ⇒ (7) + 15 - 8 = 14

Hit 2 (-8 damage from hardness): 1d8 + 15 - 8 ⇒ (1) + 15 - 8 = 8


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

Malthir starts to delay...until right after Kip,Kip, let me know if your spell works!


Male Halfling 8th level Fey Bloodline Sorcerer
Stats:
Init +6 Perception +4 AC 20 Tch 14 FF 18 HP 62 Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +8 Spd 20' CMB +2 CMD 14 Acro+4 Bluff+11 Climb-1 Diplo+6 Disg+16 Esc+2 Fly+10 Know (Arca+6 Loc+7 Nat+7) Sense+0 Spellcraft+13 Stealth+14 Use Magic+12 Swim-1

After Kalev delays ;) and Fenna acts...

Round 6

Kip, leaning precariously over the edge of the pit, shakes his head as he watches Hargulka fend off his most potent enchantment. The realization that he might not be able to save Kalev begins to enter his mind.

Pushing the thought from his mind, he gestures deliberately and once again targets Hargulka with his magically enhanced words... You'll like this one... very topical... and suitably morbid given the current situation...

What did one troll say to the other while they were eating the court jester?

Does this taste funny to you?
standard action cast hideous laughter (DC 19 Will)

Current status & effects:
AC: 20 HP: 35 of 48
Bless (Kip): expires round 30
Create Pit (C/D 8/9): expires round 9
Create Pit (C/D 12/13): expires round 10
Hideous Laughter: expires round 12

Note: Kip will use his free action speech to relate the success or failure of his spell as soon as the save result is determined.


Your Humble Narrator
Ricter Vorsk wrote:

Wow, that description of hideous laughter made the spell sound far more brutal than I always imagined it to be.

Perfect, that was just the vibe I was going for :).

Ricter begins to smash through masonry, sending pieces of stone flying in all directions from the power of the enchanted flail heads slamming into the wall with force over and over again. He has so far smashed through over an inch of solid stone.

Malthir's delaying, so Kalev is up.


HP: 57/60 AC: 22, T:13, FF:21, CMD:16. Fort:+5, Ref:+5, Will:+8. Per:+14, Init:+0, AoO:+8

"Malthir," Fenna begins, emerging from the room, "can you secure me at the top of the pit? I may be able to get Kalev out."

Does the movement from levitate provoke attacks of opportunity? Or is it only movement you make for yourself?


Your Humble Narrator

Levitates certainly slow enough to provoke and isn't what I would define as 'involuntary' as Kalev must be willing to be levitated. The standard 'only one AOO per movement' would apply though.


HP: 57/60 AC: 22, T:13, FF:21, CMD:16. Fort:+5, Ref:+5, Will:+8. Per:+14, Init:+0, AoO:+8

In that case, Fenna will delay until after Kip, too.


Male (HP 66/71, AC- 23 T- 15 FF- 18 CMD- 28, F +11, R +10, W +6, P +15*, In +3*, AOO +17) Half-orc Ranger (Guide) 7/Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 1

Kalev, lying in a pile with the troll, knows he has scant moments before the big troll eats his head and swings his hand axe repeatedly at the ugly head, mustering all his strength.

Attack: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (14) + 16 = 30
Damage: 1d8 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14

Attack: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (1) + 11 = 12
Damage: 1d8 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17

Yelling through blows, he offers an apology, SORRY, THAT DIDN'T GO AS PLANNED!


Male Halfling 8th level Fey Bloodline Sorcerer
Stats:
Init +6 Perception +4 AC 20 Tch 14 FF 18 HP 62 Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +8 Spd 20' CMB +2 CMD 14 Acro+4 Bluff+11 Climb-1 Diplo+6 Disg+16 Esc+2 Fly+10 Know (Arca+6 Loc+7 Nat+7) Sense+0 Spellcraft+13 Stealth+14 Use Magic+12 Swim-1

bump?


hp 65/66, AC 26/17/20, CMD 23/24, F: +8, R: +11, W: +7, init: +5, per: +10 Human Bard 6/Fighter 2

Casimir spend a full round holding on to Kip. I think everyone else is delaying. Time for the will save.


Your Humble Narrator

It was International Women's Day yesterday and by the time I got home from socialising with gf and her family, it was bedtime. Kalev, with bless for +1 (+13), rangers focus for +4 (+17), attacking prone target for +4 (+21), being prone for -4 (+17) and being squeezed for -4 (+13) with power attack for -2 you end up with +11 to your attack roll here.

Still a hit with a 25, and I see you've noted a handaxe is a light weapon you can't use it in both hands for a better power attack damage ratio :), but the base damage of the handaxe is 1d6, not 1d8. So your correct damage is 1d6 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17 which, to my amusement, is slightly higher than your 1d8 roll you cunning Ranger you...

Kalev goes on the offensive against the large giant next to him, their wrists continually thwarting each other's efforts in the cramped quarters. With a struggle, Kalev eventually manages to imbed his handaxe into Hargulka's rock-solid chest, blood oozing from the wound as he yanks the axe clear.

Before Hargulka can make a counterattack, Kip lets a feather float gently into the pit as he makes his next joke. Hargulka is once again compelled to laugh by Kip's enchantment, the appreciation of the macabre joke overwhelming any desire to fight the Ranger beside him...

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15 Will Save Failure!

Fenna and Malthir are up.


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

Sorry Fenna, I am going in the pit, can you heal me as I go by?

Malthir waits for a second for it sink in for Fenna [ooc]Delay until just before Halgulka and then he starts running. He let's the alchemists fire drop at his feet and then liberator comes out just before he runs past her and over the edge and into the pit!

Roll away Alex for damage, I try to land in a hex that Kalev is not in before crumpling on the ground!


Your Humble Narrator

Hargulka doesn't act until next round, don't you want to just delay until after Fenna?


Male (HP 66/71, AC- 23 T- 15 FF- 18 CMD- 28, F +11, R +10, W +6, P +15*, In +3*, AOO +17) Half-orc Ranger (Guide) 7/Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 1

Ah, I had in mind that Lead Blades was still working...sorry about that.


hp 65/66, AC 26/17/20, CMD 23/24, F: +8, R: +11, W: +7, init: +5, per: +10 Human Bard 6/Fighter 2

Casimir's eyes bulge in disbelief at Malthir's statement.

"Malthir, NO! Do NOT do this. Kip has him laughing, Fenna can lift Kalev out and the pit will expire in a few seconds. We have to get in position. ENOUGH rash and reckless acts!!" he calls out, anger and desperation clear in his voice.

Seriously, dude - WTF?!?


Your Humble Narrator

Fenna's action and then the round updates- and with it, Malthir's leap into the pit (assuming Casimir's speech doesn't persuade him to change his action by then).


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16
DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:
Hargulka doesn't act until next round, don't you want to just delay until after Fenna?

That was my note about waiting for a moment so Fenna can come off delay and act before me but if not I want to act before BIG H and get in the pit, sorry if it wasn't clear.

The pit doesn't expire for 2 more rounds, there is not much else to prepare in Malthir's mind when he can get down there and start attacking!


Male Halfling 8th level Fey Bloodline Sorcerer
Stats:
Init +6 Perception +4 AC 20 Tch 14 FF 18 HP 62 Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +8 Spd 20' CMB +2 CMD 14 Acro+4 Bluff+11 Climb-1 Diplo+6 Disg+16 Esc+2 Fly+10 Know (Arca+6 Loc+7 Nat+7) Sense+0 Spellcraft+13 Stealth+14 Use Magic+12 Swim-1

If Kip had any free speech left this round... he would point out a nice slow would also be helpful to have in place before you go toe to toe with the Hargulka... you know... his highest level spell... the one he hasn't had the time/range/opportunity to cast yet... but he doesn't have any free speech left so... ;)


HP: 57/60 AC: 22, T:13, FF:21, CMD:16. Fort:+5, Ref:+5, Will:+8. Per:+14, Init:+0, AoO:+8

"Sorry?" Fenna asks turning to look back, sure that she had misheard the baron. But when she sees him rushing forwards intently, she resigns herself to limit his self destructive urge as much as possible.

"Wise Shepherd, please mend the current wounds of this... brave soul, that he might better survive those he is about to endure." she prays diplomatically, holding out a tiny hand to intercept the charging madman.

Ready to cast cure moderate wounds on Malthir in passing. 2d8 + 6 ⇒ (4, 8) + 6 = 18


Your Humble Narrator

The Baron of Kardas receives a healing spell from Fenna and as he leaps into the overcrowded, laughter-filled extradimensional pit, her magic rapidly tends to the scalds and burns from Hargulka's fireballs. Iomedae is with Malthir as he plummets into the pit, as the Baron manages to land with relatively little bruising to himself; mostly due to the fact that his heavy, armoured form landed right on Hargulka's abdomen, the Troll King's flesh taking grievous punishment from Malthir's metallic landing.

2d6 ⇒ (1, 1) = 2 Lethal damage to Malthir

1d6 ⇒ 3 Non-lethal damage to Malthir

2d6 ⇒ (6, 6) = 12 Falling object damage to Hargulka (OUCH!)

I don't know whether the group should feel happy or sad that the most damage Hargulka has taken has been from PC's falling on him... Malthir you are also squeezing and prone.

The Troll King

Round 7-

Ordered Initiative-

Hargulka (acted)- 21
Ricter- 20
Kalev- 17
Casimir- 2a
Kip- 2b
Fenna- 1a
Malthir- 1b

Active Effects-
Lead Blades on Cleft
Malthir's Flaming Sword

Map-
Map Link (Init 20)

Notes-

The pits are 30 feet deep and you have to save at a +2 bonus to avoid falling in if you end your turn adjacent to one.

Action-

Hargulka fails to break free of the enchantment this time, and continues to be compelled to laugh by Kip's horrific magic. Malthir and Kalev see they now have an opportunity to rise to their feet and attack; although they would be standing on Hargulka himself to do so, still struggling for space.

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (7) + 8 = 15


Male Taldan Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 5/ Hellknight 3 HP:81/81 AC:28 F:+11, R:+6, W:+8, CMD:25*, P:+10, I:+2, AOO:+16

Oblivious to the change of 'plan' in the corridor, Ricter continues his assault on the wall.

1d20 ⇒ 16

1d20 ⇒ 4

Hit 1 (-8 damage from hardness): 1d8 + 15 - 8 ⇒ (3) + 15 - 8 = 10

Hit 2 (-8 damage from hardness): 1d8 + 15 - 8 ⇒ (1) + 15 - 8 = 8


Your Humble Narrator

With two more blows against the stonework, Ricter smashes through the second inch of masonry and emerges on the other side.


Male Halfling 8th level Fey Bloodline Sorcerer
Stats:
Init +6 Perception +4 AC 20 Tch 14 FF 18 HP 62 Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +8 Spd 20' CMB +2 CMD 14 Acro+4 Bluff+11 Climb-1 Diplo+6 Disg+16 Esc+2 Fly+10 Know (Arca+6 Loc+7 Nat+7) Sense+0 Spellcraft+13 Stealth+14 Use Magic+12 Swim-1

Still really busy with the move. I will try and post when it is Kip's turn... but if I am holding things up, Kip's plan is to retreat from the edge of the pit, freeing up Cas, and then readying to cast Slow on Hargulka once the pit expires. That should be two attempts and then he will try and renew the Laughter if needed after that...


Male Taldan Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 5/ Hellknight 3 HP:81/81 AC:28 F:+11, R:+6, W:+8, CMD:25*, P:+10, I:+2, AOO:+16

That was a full round attack. People aren't still waiting on me are they?


Your Humble Narrator

Nah, think people are just busy. Always a bit slow around the weekend.


Male (HP 66/71, AC- 23 T- 15 FF- 18 CMD- 28, F +11, R +10, W +6, P +15*, In +3*, AOO +17) Half-orc Ranger (Guide) 7/Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 1

Kalev, almost crushed underneath his liege, grins and says, Nice of you to drop by, though I'm not sure this was the best idea...then again, neither was mine...

He then gets up and hacks at the troll with his axe.

Attack: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (12) + 15 = 27
Damage: 1d6 + 13 ⇒ (3) + 13 = 16


hp 65/66, AC 26/17/20, CMD 23/24, F: +8, R: +11, W: +7, init: +5, per: +10 Human Bard 6/Fighter 2

Casimir pulls Kip back from the edge, then raises his voice in inspiration.

"The mighty troll king manages to breach the very throne room of the castle, only to die miserably at the bottom of a pit. A fitting end for scum like you, Hargulka!"

Activate Inspire Courage


Male Halfling 8th level Fey Bloodline Sorcerer
Stats:
Init +6 Perception +4 AC 20 Tch 14 FF 18 HP 62 Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +8 Spd 20' CMB +2 CMD 14 Acro+4 Bluff+11 Climb-1 Diplo+6 Disg+16 Esc+2 Fly+10 Know (Arca+6 Loc+7 Nat+7) Sense+0 Spellcraft+13 Stealth+14 Use Magic+12 Swim-1

Kip steps back from the edge and nods a thanks to Cas. He watches and waits for the pit to expire. Delay


HP: 57/60 AC: 22, T:13, FF:21, CMD:16. Fort:+5, Ref:+5, Will:+8. Per:+14, Init:+0, AoO:+8

Fenna returns to the side room after Ricter, and reaches through the newly crafted archway to heal the Hellknight.

Cure Moderate Wounds 2d8 + 6 ⇒ (5, 5) + 6 = 16 for Ricter.
HP: 19/44


Your Humble Narrator

Just Malthir left to act.


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

Malthir stands and nods at Kalev. He is unable to alter his grim mood but unwilling to not acknowledge his dear friends attempt to lighten the situation.
His duty to his people, the Guardians, and Iomedae weighing heavily on his shoulders, he resigns himself to simply state the facts,
As an enemy of Kardas and all good people, I will end you Hargulka. I will show you more mercy than you have ever shown your enemies!

He rams liberator into the Trolls stomach,
+2 longsword smite pwr atk bless inspire prone 1d20 + 10 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 4 - 2 + 1 + 1 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 10 + 2 + 1 + 1 + 4 - 2 + 1 + 1 + 4 = 30 dam + flaming 1d8 + 4 + 2 + 5 + 4 + 1 + 1d6 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 2 + 5 + 4 + 1 + (1) = 20
didn't mention sqeezing since it is offset by the penalty we all have to AC.

Active effects:
AC: 26/29 vs Halgulka
HP: 56/58 +3 non-lethal
Bless 9/30r
Divine Bond: Flaming 17/60r
LOH: 1/9


Your Humble Narrator

I did some math but essentially once Ricter and Casimir's full attacks join the mix and with a flaming weapon preventing his regeneration, Hargulka is toast. Lets save ourselves a week or more of lost time rolling out the inevitable.

Paralysed by the hideous laughter enchantment upon him, Hargulka's eyes can only watch helplessly between fits of laughter as he does his best to avoid incoming blows. Sometimes, blows glance from his hide armour, whatever powerful magic he has protecting him or simply fail to penetrate his immensely tough hide.

But other attacks are more successful. Kalev's handaxe, Malthir's flaming sword, Casimir's sleek mithril blade and Ricter's flail hack, stab, slash and crush the once-mighty Troll King until his charred body twitches no more; and with only a few seconds of Kip's enchantment left. The Troll King laughs to the bitter end even as his vocal chords are being ripped apart, the awful sound lingering in the throne room via its echo even after the final blow is struck...

Akiros and Vaysh emerge from the eastern door, relief written on their faces. The strongest foe Kardas has ever faced lies dead upon the floor of the Kardas great hall.


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

Malthir rushes over to Vaysh and embraces her as well as awkwardly hugging Akiros for keeping her safe.

There is little to say my friends. We have lost so much today...but we have saved Kardas. It's people will live on. The hope that is this kingdom will live on.
Now we must help our people get back to their lives.
Akiros, try to gather the other Statkari. We must show ourselves to the people and let them know they are safe and we are alive. Once we know they are safely back within SwordHaven we can set to figuring out the damage and bury our dead.

With that Malthir heads back outside to tend to the people of Kardas...


hp 65/66, AC 26/17/20, CMD 23/24, F: +8, R: +11, W: +7, init: +5, per: +10 Human Bard 6/Fighter 2

Cayden's codpiece, that was a mighty fight. I was all but certain that he would take one or more of us with him to his death," Casimir says, glancing at Kalev and Malthir.

"We have but a moment to rest. We must make certain that none of the trolls survive. Even the slightest piece of troll or troll-hound flesh left untouched by flame or acid could cause serious damage."

He pauses, the turns to Vaysh and Akiros. "What do you know of the other council-members? How many have we lost?".


Male (HP 66/71, AC- 23 T- 15 FF- 18 CMD- 28, F +11, R +10, W +6, P +15*, In +3*, AOO +17) Half-orc Ranger (Guide) 7/Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 1

Agreed, Casimir, we must make sure the city is empty of trolls. But first, a short respite from the fighting, perhaps some wine to slake our tirst and was that horrible smell of burnt troll from my nostrils.

Turning to Akiros and Vaysh, he smiles. I'm glad to see you two still alive, friends.

After a short break and a glass of water or wine, Kalev will arm himself with a torch in one hand and hand axe in the other and go through each and every house still standing.


Your Humble Narrator

Akiros and Vaysh shrug helplessly, explaining that they haven't seen the other council members since they began to seal themselves behind barricades.

Kalev takes a break and then wanders Kardas, a vengeful torchman ensuring that every damn piece of troll isn't trying to grow into a new force of evil.

Under Kressle's supervision, the inhabitants of Kardas slowly begin to march back into Kardas' capital, the Guardians of the Greenbelt having triumphed over Hargulka and Nagrundi and the main troll force having been dispatched by the bravery of the Kardas First, the small legion that gave their lives to hold the walls.

Scouring over the survivors, it seems that both Sootscales and Jhod survived the battle on the walls, although badly wounded, as did Nikolai Troll-Blooded- the latter's strange troll-infused blood bringing him back from the brink of death. A handful of the Kardas First also survived the attack; a mere seven men. Hargulka left few survivors in his wake.

Kesten Garess himself was not so lucky- and gave his life alongside Kundal to hold the walls as long as possible. The pair of ferocious warriors appear to have died side by side, scorched by Hargulka's fireballs and then beaten and slashed to death by his brutal claws and morningstar.

Whether from Fenna's hastily cast stabilise magic, being too stubborn to die or some product of the strange magical experimentation upon him that is beyond his understanding, Red-Eyes is still alive when he is eventually found, although his injuries are grave. Vaysh, her sorrow at the state of affairs evident, finds solace in tending to the magical beast that fought so hard to protect the realm.


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

Malthir and Vaysh ride out to meet Kressle and the people of Kardas while some of the others secure the city and finish any remaining trolls or trollhounds wondering around and escort them home.

It is a long few days while they help who they can, Malthir pushing himself to the edges of his endurance, Iomedae's magic bolstering him into most nights.

The loss of Kesten and Kundal hit Malthir hard.
He takes it on himself to find Kesten's widow and personally tell her of her husband's sacrifice. She is honored and given the option to stay on in Kardas or continue back to Restov.
Kundal's redemption and then sacrifice burns into Malthir's soul. Too many have died, too many have sacrificed. Deep down he plans to make the enemies of Kardas pay, and strike down ANY who stand in their way!


Male Taldan Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 5/ Hellknight 3 HP:81/81 AC:28 F:+11, R:+6, W:+8, CMD:25*, P:+10, I:+2, AOO:+16

In the aftermath of the troll invasion, Ricter also scours the streets for troll remains. However, what he is really looking for are signs of disorder – looters, thieves and other opportunists who he knows will come of the woodwork now that their city is reeling and the watch is spread thin.


HP: 57/60 AC: 22, T:13, FF:21, CMD:16. Fort:+5, Ref:+5, Will:+8. Per:+14, Init:+0, AoO:+8

Fenna is clearly exhausted by the events of the morning and previous days, and remains quiet during the remainder of the day's efforts, except to offer the occasional reassurance to the worried citizenry that things will soon return to normal, and that those who so bravely gave their lives will be remembered.

"With their leader slain," she offers weakly to the other Statkari, over a hastily shared meal, "the trolls should pose little further threat. But we should not delay too long before hunting down any others who may have followed him, lest one of their number hopes to step into his place... we still haven't located their main encampment, so it may be best to do so before the tracks of their army grow old."


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

Malthir requests an emergency session of the Statkari the next morning to discuss the events. He asks that Ricter attend, but requests that he waits outside the meeting hall until he is summoned.

Ricter, I want you there, but I need to talk through a few things with the Statkari before we talk about larger issues that we need your help with.


Male Taldan Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 5/ Hellknight 3 HP:81/81 AC:28 F:+11, R:+6, W:+8, CMD:25*, P:+10, I:+2, AOO:+16

"Understood"


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

Ricter only, just before the meeting with the Statkari in the morning:

Malthir comes to see you in your chambers, early in the morning. He looks like he hasn't slept, his magic from Iomedae probably keeping him going.
Ricter, I wanted to speak with you alone before I meet with the others. We have little time with the damage to Kardas so let's get to the point. You have battled Kardas' enemies and proved yourself to me and I expect the others.
The Statkari are a little like the River Kingdoms. Vary widely, have strong opinions of their ways, but have a strength onto themselves.
I want you to see them as I do, their differences to our more rigid ways make us stronger, not weaker.
Kardas will one day rule much more than what you see here now. Restov, Galt, Numeria will all recognize Kardas as a nation worthy of respect.
Your order wants Galt, I can help them get it. They can have their base and a place to buy supplies and potentially an ally in their cause. There will be more forces at work than just the ones in Galt trying to stop you. Kardas can oppose them as well.

He let's that statement settle in for a moment.
I want two things in return.
First I want you. Not just your blade Ricter, I want your soul. Tell Corvex that Kardas will support them only if you are the one that acts as the intermediary between Kardas and the Hellknights. You can still be a Hellknight in name, but you will swear fealty to Kardas and to me and Corvex will know it. You will become a Statkari, a noble of this kingdom. This condition is nonnegotiable. Kardas will only have someone dealing with them that we can trust, one of our own. You want order restored to Galt and you can use our help and support, this is your cost!
Second, the Hellknights will support Kardas and defend her sovereignty while they have a base here. They will abide by her laws while the are here. Kardas will welcome them for a minimum of 5 years to stay and we will re-negotiate the terms of the agreement at the end of those 5 years.
If I can convince the other Statkari to support this agreement, will you agree to take this to Corvex and support it to him?
You may wonder what we get out of this? To be honest I was inclined to tell the others we should turn down your offer. Now, we need your order and its knights to defend this kingdom while we build our militia back up as well as form a proper army. It may be a marriage of convenience at first, but it doesn't mean it can't be one that could grow into something else.
Turn this offer down and it will not be extended again, I need your order now, not one year from now. Ricter, you can train and ride with us for as long as you want, you are a worthy man, but the order will not be welcome en mass in the kingdom.
Do you need time to think about it, or are you in agreement?


Response to Malthir:

"Your second condition is easy to meet. Kardas is a gem of order amongst the mire of squabbling kingdoms that surround it. Any Hellknight within it's boarders would fight to the last to preserve it, even if he was merely passing through. And as the universally recognized lord of these lands, we will follow the laws you lay down with the same resolve as you follow the law of Iomedae. We will even enforce those laws to the letter should you require it."

He then looks to the armour on it's stand on the far side of the room

"As for your first condition, you are the last man I would expect to make such a demand. The world is full of warriors who believe in a cause, but you and I are given solid proof of our righteousness every time we issue a challenge. You know what it is to have a love for an ideal that the greatest bard couldn't put into words. You are asking for far more than fealty"

"You have struck a balance between your devotion to Iomedae and your devotion to Kardas. Do you not think I can do the same for my calling? I am a champion of Law, not a champion of Corvex. You need only doubt me if you doubt that your own laws are just"


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

Ricter:

This is a little different though Ricter. A man cannot serve two masters if they have different goals, but I do agree you can strike a balance. Iomedae's cause and mine are the same, otherwise she would not have chose me to rule this land. I do not serve her, she guides me.
I know what I am asking. Maybe it is unfair to you. I am asking for sacrifice, for duty...toward a greater end.
But we can not have you representing our interests with the Hellknights if you are commanded by them.
The other Statkari will not accept a Hellknight as part of our ruling body.
If you are not a Statkari you are a Hellknight and their goals are not the same as ours. In the end by helping us you help Galt.
And I do trust you Ricter, there are very few men I would take on their word alone...you are one of them.

Malthir thinks for a moment before giving you one more thing to think about.

If you decide to accept our offer...I will release you from your vow of fealty to Kardas and me at the end of the 5 year agreement with Corvex and the Hellknights if you so wish it. If you decide to follow them into Galt, I will support your decision.
That is the best we can offer you Ricter...please understand I am not asking you to stop being a Hellknight or who you are as a person, but we do want assurances that Kardas will be represented properly with the Hellknights.

In talking with Alex, this may be coming across a little differently than I was intending.
Malthir is not asking you to stop being a Hellknight or put it on hold for 5 years. He is asking you to be Kardas' representative to the Hellknights, to serve as our intermediary, but also look after our interests with them. The swearing of fealty does not supplant your oaths to them but it does put them on par and formalize them with Malthir and the others and open the path for you to be recongized as a Statkari. Sorry if it came across heavy handed...


Male Taldan Human Fighter (Weapon Master) 5/ Hellknight 3 HP:81/81 AC:28 F:+11, R:+6, W:+8, CMD:25*, P:+10, I:+2, AOO:+16

Malthir:
"I see..."

"One of the great boons of order is the way it eases decisions. I have been ordered by the Lictor to do what must be done to win the support of Kardas. If that includes agreeing to answer to you over him, that is acceptable. It does not matter who I serve so long as in doing so I spread the rule of law."

"I will done my armour and vow to serve Kardas and the Law of Iomedae before whatever witnesses you desire. I will see to it that the spirit and letter of your laws and decrees is followed by any Hellknight that sets foot in your realm. Whilst I do this, though, I will stay true to the principles of the Order of the Chain. Of these there are many, but there are three that are relevent to my forthcoming oath:"

"The chain binds both ways. A Hellknight does not suffer a leige or ruler to change or break his own written laws at a whim, any more than he would allow those laws to be broken by one of that ruler's subjects."

"To rule is to be bound. You do not have the luxury of a glorious death. I will fight to the death to preserve you and hence preserve Kardas from instability and upheval, even if you wish otherwise. In the battles to come I will not heed your orders to retreat unless you retreat ahead of me."

"Chaos cannot be restrained, only destroyed. This holds that creatures such as the fey - even the beautiful, well-spoken ones - must be purged from the world. I fear that this principle must fall by the wayside whilst I remain in the service of Kardas. I mention it only to make it clear how much I am willing to yield to make this agreement work."


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

Ricter:

Well said Ricter, I agree. I will speak to the others and convince them of the right of this. We will speak very soon, hopefully later this very morning. he walks over and grasps the man arm in friendship.
Together we will do great things for Kardas and Galt!
How quickly do you think you can get a contingent of the Hellknights here if you were to send him a magical message?

Malthir returns to the meeting chamber to start the meeting with the Statkari.

We have much to discuss my friends.
We stand on the precipice of chaos. Our enemies look for weakness, some probably ready to strike now that we are weak.
Our people are now without protection from its own.
We want to hunt down any remaining Trolls, we want to find their lair! Are we to leave SwordHaven undefended while we leave again to do this?
I have some ideas as to how we might survive through this but I would like to hear your thoughts first.


HP: 57/60 AC: 22, T:13, FF:21, CMD:16. Fort:+5, Ref:+5, Will:+8. Per:+14, Init:+0, AoO:+8

"You are right," Fenna nods, "while the trolls are mostly dealt with, they are merely the enemies who have revealed themselves to us... they were allied with the Dancing Lady, whom we had no dealings with until mere days ago; who else numbered among their friends? There is clearly no telling how many more threats are eyeing our borders from beyond our sight."

"Yesterday, the people of Kardas put up a brave fight against the troll horde, and it is likely due to their sacrifice that we still have a nation to defend today, but far too many lives were lost. As you say, they are in no state to further protect themselves."

"While there is likely to be no shortage of volunteers, should we put out the call for a standing militia, it would still be quite some time before such a force is capable of defending Kardas from its enemies."


hp 65/66, AC 26/17/20, CMD 23/24, F: +8, R: +11, W: +7, init: +5, per: +10 Human Bard 6/Fighter 2

"As Fenna points out, we most likely have hidden enemies working against us. Who knows what other allies the trolls might have had, and we also suspect that Grigori might have had someone holding his leash. As Spymaster, I will do what I can to reveal any plots against us, both from within our own borders and without. At the same time, I feel we should do what we can to strengthen the bonds of friendship with the few allies we have, and increase our efforts to secure more alliances."

"As for the trolls, we should head back south and try to locate their base as soon as the situation here is secure. At the very least, we should hunt down that rock troll, and I'm also curious to see what Hargulka might have locked away in whatever hole he has used for a stronghold."

3,701 to 3,750 of 4,585 << first < prev | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Alexander Kilcoyne's Kingmaker PBP- Chapter 2 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.