Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

DM Alexander Kilcoyne's Kingmaker PBP- Chapter 2 (Inactive)

Game Master Alexander Kilcoyne

"We are essentially pawns in a larger game - what we have to find out is who it is that are making the moves, and what we can do to become masters of our own destiny."

Spymaster Casimir, Aldori Duellist & Statkari


1 to 50 of 4,585 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

2 people marked this as a favorite.
Your Humble Narrator

Welcome to DM Alexander Kilcoynes Kingmaker PbP, Chapter Two...

Links-

Previously on "Guardians of the Greenbelt"... (Link to Chapter 1 Thread)- Link

Link to Discussion Thread (lurker friendly and peanuts guaranteed...)- Link

Link to Interlude Thread (between Chapter 1 and 2)- Link

Link to group site (lurkers please give me an e-mail address in the discussion thread if you want viewing access)- Link

Tanner's (Ilya) building tree diagram (recommended)- Link

The Guardians of the Greenbelt-

Casimir- Aldori Arcana Duelist, Story Spinner, Redeemer and Spymaster of Kardas- Link

Fenna- Heavens Oracle and Prophetess of Aroden, Councilor of Kardas- Link

Ilya- House Orlovsky's Representative, Grand Diplomat and Lord Mayor of Northgreen, Wizard and Merchant Extraordinaire- Link

Kalev- Marshall of Kardas, Hunter, Warrior, Defender of the Wilderness- Link

Malthir- Paladin of the Inheritor, Sword Scion, Dutiful Son and Baron of Kardas- Link

1st Of Neth, 4712...

Casimir if i'm a little out on my date I apologise, assume you lost some time waiting for the colonists etc. if necessary.

Two years have passed since the first pavestone graced the area of land around the Stag Lords Fort, the beginning of the kingdom founded by the Guardians of the Greenbelt and their allies- Kardas. Kardas has grown into a small but stable kingdom under the wise policies of the Council, and despite heavy taxation the quality of life in Kardas is very high. Its capital city Swordhaven is an economic powerhouse and is home to almost six thousand souls- just under two thirds of the kingdom's estimated population. The yearly festival known as Foundersfeast is a massive event, attracting visitors from all over the River Kingdoms and from the rural areas of Kardas.

Although Kardas is continually tested by the unstable nature of the Stolen Lands (in particular an earthquake that rocked the very foundations of Swordhaven), the Council is in agreement that after two years, the kingdom is finally stable enough to not need the entirety of the Guardians attention. The Council are fully in agreement that the rest of the Greenbelt must be made secure in the same manner as the north in order for Swordhaven not to succumb to an unknown threat- Kesten Garess in particular advises against complacency, pointing out that Taldor's doomed colony in the Stolen Lands was reportedly over twice the size of humble Kardas before its fall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Casimir has been receiving reports of the progress of the other three expeditionary forces sent south by the Stag Lords. The information he is able to report is as follows-

Note- I have uploaded a map of the River Kingdoms up on the group site, worth a look!

The experienced adventuring company known as the Iron Wraiths operating far to the west of you near Pitax have apparently been destroyed by raging barbarians in the area. The Swordlords have no plans to risk a further expedition into the area, especially as they believe a further expedition into the area may provoke River Kingdoms such as Daggermark and Pitax.

In the Nomen Heights to the east of the Greenbelt, a up and coming Swordlord known as Maegar Varn has successfully founded his own colony at the orders of the Swordlords. He has replied to Ilya's letters assuring you that he will soon be 'made available to survey your efforts and offer my guidance where appropiate'. The tone of his letter suggests that he clearly thinks he outranks you, but the tone is also almost paternal in nature, an experienced man offering his support and advice to thoseless seasoned.

You have heard little of the are directly to your west known as the Slough. As the most vital trade route leading into the heart of the River Kingdoms, a large group of diplomats and veteran soldiers were dispatched into this area in order to claim it and keep the trade routes safe. Casimir's men suggest that they were successful, as a large fort has sprung up in the centre of the Slough.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite Ilya's efforts, Kardas is not yet seen as important enough to merit any real response from any of his efforts to establish relations with any of the other River Kingdoms. Ilya has been made aware of a critical yearly event to which Kardas has not yet been invited to attend- the Outlaw Council of the River Kingdoms.

Consisting of leaders from the most significant kingdoms, the Outlaw Council provides the only political stability the River Kingdoms have ever known. Rulers from almost all kingdoms are invited to attend this yearly council in Daggermark, but only lords from Daggermark, Gralton, Lambreth, Mivon, Pitax, the Protectorate of the Black Marquis, Sevenarches, Tymon, and Uringen are truly respected. Other kingdoms are considered too transient to merit full consideration in the proceedings, though in the spirit of unity they are allowed to attend and speak occasionally. Unlike in other meetings, mere representatives are not allowed to speak—a lord must attend personally to have a voice. Topics of yearly discourse include negotiating treaties, defense against mutual threats, food distribution, recognition of sovereignty, and solving smaller, interpersonal matters before they become armed conflicts. The meeting hall where the Outlaw Council gathers is considered neutral territory—no king rules any other there, even Livondar, Lord of Daggermark. However, Daggermark’s famed assassins are on silent duty as servants throughout the meeting, making the Outlaw Council meeting the worst time of the year to attempt a Daggermark coup.

Thanks to Ilya's efforts however, it is likely the recognising the sovereignty of Kardas will be discussed, meaning you will likely be invited to attend next years Outlaw Council.

Note- I also uploaded a text document referring to the Six River Freedoms you would all be familiar with by now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, on the 1st of Neth, the Guardians are leaving Kardas in capable hands until the last week of the month, when they pledge to return to catch up on their kingdom duties. The crowds cheer as they ride out of Swordhaven's grand castle, and they bask in the adoration of their people...

So- Over to you...


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

As Malthir and the Guardians exit the city a large burden seems to lift from Malthir. He looks back to appreciate 2 years of hard work. The banner of Kardas, the horizontal bow, crossed vertically by the sword, streams from Malthir's Lance and decorates his Tabard.
(BTW we still have 3 MW weapons to choose so Malthir is going to pick up a MW Lance as his).

So Guardians, explore east or west? I am inclined to say West first, it would be good to have the area nearest to the more dangerous woods mapped and any dangers cleared. What say you?

Cheliax

No longer matters Drow Lich Epic level Wizard/Cleric of considerable ability

dot


Male Aasimar (Archon) Ranger (Skirmisher, Urban) 1 -- HP 12 : AC 17 CMD 15 TAC 14 FAC 13 : rapier+6; 1d6 : chakram+5; 1d8 : F+2 R+6 W+0 : INIT+4 Perc+0 CMB+1 : CHA mod +4

Before departing, Ilya tries one more time to learn bull's strength. Spellcraft 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (18) + 13 = 31. Success!

Ilya rides forth in the middle of the pack, wearing a courtier's outfit in the red-and-white of the flag of Kardas. He is somewhat unsteady on his mount, but waves cheerfully to the gathered crowd. "West sounds fine, Malthir. The fledgling kingdom of Lord Varn sits on our eastern front, which should provide us with a measure of security."

The only break in the action I see in the future is when we hit 5th level. Fenna will get Craft Arms and Armor and Ilya will get Craft Wondrous Item. After we blow our money on shiny new equipment, we will be ready to go again.


HP: 51/60 AC: 22, T:13, FF:21, CMD:16. Fort:+5, Ref:+5, Will:+8(+7). Per:+14, Init:+0, AoO:+8

Fenna rides out alongside her companions, the sunlight gleaming from the engraved image of Aroden's aspect of the Soldier upon her masterfully crafted breastplate.

"With the trolls we saw headed towards that part of the forests," she says, looking out across the fertile hills of southern Kardas towards the Narlmarches, "it may be a good idea to take a better look around the area so we might discern their purpose."


Your Humble Narrator

Bah... Had this post a lot more descriptive but the post monster ate it. And yes, I had the post copied but then copied something else, damn multitasking...

Proceeding into the Narlmarches along the Skunk River, the Guardians have already had lunch and are exploring the region when they crest a small hill near the river. A few hundred feet below them, a recent battle has obviously occured in a clearing near the river. You can all make out a smouldering wagon that has almost finished burning, crashed into a tree, and you can see corpses littering the ground. Some of the Guardians make out other details too...

Perception DC14:

The corpses littering the scene are all Gnomes, and all appear to have been fighting on the same side.

Perception DC18:

The battle clearly finished less than an hour or two ago. The victor, whoever they were, took care to remove the corpses of their own fallen, if any did indeed fall.

Perception DC22:

You spot a single set of manacles, lying next to a dead Gnome.


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

What can you make out from here fellow Guardians?

perception 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (11) - 1 = 10

BTW Malthir in new lands typically rides with the Lance out so the banner is also out.


HP: 51/60 AC: 22, T:13, FF:21, CMD:16. Fort:+5, Ref:+5, Will:+8(+7). Per:+14, Init:+0, AoO:+8

Perception 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (2) + 10 = 12

"Careful," Fenna whispers, pulling on her reins to bring Dandelion to a halt, "this may be an ambush."


Male Aasimar (Archon) Ranger (Skirmisher, Urban) 1 -- HP 12 : AC 17 CMD 15 TAC 14 FAC 13 : rapier+6; 1d6 : chakram+5; 1d8 : F+2 R+6 W+0 : INIT+4 Perc+0 CMB+1 : CHA mod +4

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

"There appears to be... something... down there... We should go investigate."

Before proceeding, Ilya casts mage armor on himself.


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

Okay I know you have been waiting for this with baited breath!

Foundersfeast Tales 2 – Mimek the Bold:

He had followed the two smelly humans for over four hours without being detected. No one ever seemed to notice Mimek, I am too small, unimportant to the big people. This was the year though that he would prove his worth to the Guardians! The Guildhall was empty, all of the merchants were off to witness the celebration except for these two and whatever they were up too.
I was worried about SootScales though. The two years with the humans was weighing on him, literally. He remembered the days that watching your back for the next rising chieftain would keep you sharp, he was the biggest and the strongest in the tribe, it had made him Chieftain. Now SootScales was “Shadowfang”, the silent enforcer of the Kingdom. Things had been too easy, too little had occurred to keep SootScales sharp. There were no hidden cults, no secret plots to kill the Council members. One man had made a lazy attempt to kill SootScales himself, but it been out of revenge, not a plot. With each passing month SootScales has given more and more responsibility to Mimek.
Now it was Mimek’s turn. I had been SootScales apprentice from the early days, learning the way of stealth and the blade. I had learned well. A new figure talking to the two humans drew me back to the job at hand. I saw the face of the newcomer and was genuinely surprised by who I saw.
Jaleb’ Ta was with the league of merchants from Mivon, he couldn’t be mistaken for anyone else. He was here to talk with Ilya Shukov about trade relations with their country. It could be worth much to the Kingdom. So why had Casimir asked me to follow these two men? Did he believe something else was afoot? I snuck up under the table so I could hear the humans better.
Are you sure SootScales and Casimir are busy at the festival? asked Jaleb, Yes master, we confirmed it with our source. SootScales has already donned his festival gear and is with the other council members, including Bodevski. the human named Kodar answered. It is time to go then the time is drawing near.
He followed the men out of the hall and then headed east to the edge of town and then south to the just north of the waterfront. It was Founderfeast again and the streets were crammed with visitors as well as all of the new people that had moved to the city in the last year. It wasn’t hard to trail them, by now I had found that humans looked at their level for threats and often didn’t even bother to look down, especially in crowded streets. By this time the main festival was over and the after festivities were well underway. They eventually came to a larger house, only built a month or so ago and entered. I didn’t like what they were up to so I snuck up to the back window and peered in. It was a kitchen so likely unguarded. I quietly jimmied the latch and slipped in.
As if under a silence spell I moved through the kitchen into the hallway. I could hear Jaleb’ Ta talking to the two men in the sitting room. Excellent Kodar, she is taking the bait then. Stick to the plan, Vaysh will be here in a few minutes. When she drops into slumber from my spell you will take out her bodyguard quickly. If he doesn’t have a chance to wake her we will be out of the city before anyone knows the better. You will be paid very well, Vaysh is the favored of this new Baron and the ransom will be steep. I have heard the fool is a follower of Iomedae so it will be like taking candy from a baby, his honor will demand he pay whatever we ask!
I knew I had little time to act, no time to get SootScales or any of the other Guardians before whatever plan they had hatched would happen. I slipped back to the kitchen and under the table. There I pulled out my most powerful weapon, the one that SootScales warned me to use only in the direst of circumstances, my one dose of Deathblade poison. I liberally applied it to my long dagger, careful not to nick myself, the result would likely be very bad from SootScales description of the horrible after effects of this deadly poison. I waited at the edge of the kitchen as I heard the humans taking their places. Someone was walking down the hallway towards the kitchen, drat! I snuck back under the table and saw the lower part of Jaleb’s robes as well as the other man getting themselves cups of water. I decided it was time to gamble so I waited until I saw the two men leaving the kitchen and followed them out. Jaleb was in the back and I used him as cover to follow the two of them into the study. Kodar watched the road intently from the hallway window and didn’t even bother to look back as I hid behind the couch. The other waited sat down in the study while Jaleb stood intently in the corner.
Kodar spoke after a long few minutes, She is coming. I heard Jaleb start to softly chant words of power and I took a chance and poked my head out from behind the couch, one second Jaleb was standing in the corner, the next he was gone. I kept watching the area of the corner, wondering if my guess might be right. The soft rug in that corner moved just a little as I heard the scuff of a foot moving.
A knock came to the door, I could hear Vaysh’s musical voice in a friendly greeting, Hello again, Kodar is it? Well where is citizen Ablin with this important request for me, I hope he is not going to issue more demands after we were able to get his people situated in the city into this newly built district!
He will be here momentarily Milady, his man waits in the study for you. I heard her walk into the study and address the other man, I am Vaysh and this is Lady Kressle, a friend from the country who came in for the festival.
The man in the study finally spoke in a hoarse voice, My ladies, Citizen Ablin was delayed, but should be here momentarily, I am his assistant Telis.
Taking another chance I slipped along the wall from the couch to under the end table, near the corner where I hoped the wizard still to be.
I hope he hurries, I have events to oversee this day Telis and I cannot wait much….she suddenly stopped talking and I heard her slump over, Jaleb’ Ta appeared where he had taken his original position, in the corner of the study, frowning, kill the other women now!
Things started happening quickly, the two men drew hidden weapons, kressle stood and drew her handaxes in a fluid motion, parrying Telis' wicked Aldori dueling blade that was aimed at her heart. Luck was with us already this day, for Kressle to be with Vaysh gave us a fighting chance, to be honest her other body guard wasn’t half the warrior Kressle was.
The wizard started up another magic of some sort while the two men kept Kressle occupied. The wizard was too busy to notice a little Kobold sneaking up behind him. I never like this approach but SootScales had said it was the surest way to take one of the big humans down. I slipped the blade between his soft buttocks and into him. I am not sure that Jaleb’ Ta even really knew what had happened to him at that moment. One second he was one his way to completing his next spell, the next he was trying to stay standing while he wretched from the sudden pain.
He screamed when turned and saw me standing there, You little wretch, I will blast you from existence! . I waited patiently for what SootScales had taught me, a wizard who underestimated our kind and my training. He stepped back a few feet and started to cast again. I darted forward, expecting this move and slashed again at the wizard’s tender opening. When I encountered no magical defenses, I knew I had a chance, he grimaced in pain as he lost his train of thought and he was wracked again by the deadly poison.
Kressle had already taken Kodar down, probably choosing that it would be better to fight the more skilled opponent one on one than try to defeat him with another at his back, but I could see that she had already taken a good blade wound from the maneuver.
I readied for Jaleb’ Ta again, but this time he slipped to the side in a fluid motion and cast a thick bolt of flame at me that nearly sundered me right there, right then, had I not rolled with the blast. I lay still, feigning death, knowing I was a short breath from it. He turned back to the duel in front of him, doubled over in pain by this point. I stood silently and padded up behind him again. He began another labored casting, I drove the blade into his stomach, it was too much, the poison had already stolen most of the life from him and as he turned to me, trying to keep his concentration, he collapsed on the floor, dead. Kressle fought for her life against the professional swordsmen. I had enough energy left though to draw and toss 1 of my two tanglefoot bags at the villain. Not expecting another attacker the goo took him by surprise and cemented the killer to the ground.
Within a minute it was all over, he couldn’t overcome the two of us, not fixed in place as he was.
Mimek, what are you doing here, though I am very happy to see you? I wearily walked over to Vaysh and woke her. I should probably tell this story only once grimacing in pain.
So I proceeded to tell my story of Casimir asking me to follow Kodar based upon some hunch he had on the man’s activities to this point.
Vaysh looked concerned after I told her all of the details I had overheard, Mimek, you will not tell the Baron of this, ever, do you understand? I want your word on it, now! But why Lady Vaysh, I don’t understand, shouldn’t the Baron know about this right away?
Sometimes being a loyal subject means knowing when not to tell your lord something. In this case what do you think Malthir would do if he found out that someone from Mivon tried to kidnap me, someone probably tied to their ruling house I would bet? With his sense of honor and justice it would mean war, one we cannot fight or win right now. Do you think that would matter to him? No, for me he would make it his personal mission to make them pay. So for now, no one is going to know of what occurred here today. But I will not forget your bravery Mimek, nor will Casimir, I assure you. I think we have all underestimated you my little friend, indeed I now know we have.


hp 60/66, AC 26/17/20, CMD 23/24, F: +8, R: +11, W: +7, init: +5, per: +10 Human Bard 6/Fighter 2

Retcon 1 - a letter from Casimir to his family

Dear Father,

I hope this letter finds you all well. I regret that my letters have been so few and far in between, but affairs of state keep me busy and with little time to write.

It has now been almost two years since we established the colony of Kardas, and our progress has been truly amazing. In a few more years, we will likely be one of the major nations in the River Kingdoms. We celebrate the founding of our great nation every Rova, and this year I hope to have all of the family present. You see, this Foundersfeast, I will be married. I have written to you before of Kressle, and in the time I have know her, our love has only grown. I have no doubt that she is the woman for me, and so the time has come to commit to that before gods and men. I sincerely hope you will all be able to attend.

But the wedding is not the only reason I wish for you to visit Kardas and Swordhaven. Our capital grows daily, with goods and raw materials arriving by boat from all over the River Kingdoms. With our new roads linking Brevoy to the waterways of the River Kingdoms, Swordhaven has the potential to become a great city of trade - a trade I would like the Bodevski family to have a part of.

I look forward to showing all of you the wonders of Swordhaven and of course introducing you to Kressle.

My love to Mother, Joseph and the girls.

Your son Casimir


hp 60/66, AC 26/17/20, CMD 23/24, F: +8, R: +11, W: +7, init: +5, per: +10 Human Bard 6/Fighter 2

And we briefly return to the present.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14

I agree, we must proceed with caution. The slain all appear to be gnomes.

I guess we ride down for a closer look - weapons out and ready.


Male Aasimar (Archon) Ranger (Skirmisher, Urban) 1 -- HP 12 : AC 17 CMD 15 TAC 14 FAC 13 : rapier+6; 1d6 : chakram+5; 1d8 : F+2 R+6 W+0 : INIT+4 Perc+0 CMB+1 : CHA mod +4
Casimir wrote:
You see, this Foundersfeast, I will be married. I have written to you before of Kressle, and in the time I have know her, our love has only grown. I have no doubt that she is the woman for me, and so the time has come to commit to that before gods and men. I sincerely hope you will all be able to attend.

Hip, hip, hooray! A wedding! Let's hope that Casimir and Kressle will have have the pitter-patter of little feet ringing through the castle soon enough ;)

Hmm... if Ilya gets married to a nice elven girl, the other party members might be old and gray by the time they have a child.

Ilya gives a glance to Fenna, "Yes, let's go take a closer look at the gnomes and see what happened."


Your Humble Narrator

Riding down from the hilltop wary of an ambush, the Guardians can see that the Gnomes appeared to be travelling towards Swordhaven when they were attacked- it looks like the group of Gnomes numbered about a dozen.

The battle clearly finished less than an hour or two ago. The victor, whoever they were, took care to remove the corpses of their own fallen, if any did indeed fall. The killing looks fairly senseless until you spot something now that you are close- a single set of manacles, lying next to a dead Gnome. The wounds on the Gnomes appear at first glance to be mostly vicious slashing wounds, but some perished from arrow wounds. Kalev easily picks up the signs of prisoners being dragged away.


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

Does it appear that the gnomes have been stripped of their possesions?

Kalev, Fenna, can you determine what type of creature did this and track them? They can't move too fast with prisoners. These filthy bandits will pay in blood for what they have wrought here! When we think we are close, Ilya, can your raven get a better look at them without giving us away? If we face them I fear they could use the prisoners as shields to keep us at bay.


Your Humble Narrator
Malthir Al Dagon wrote:

Does it appear that the gnomes have been stripped of their possesions?

No, only their weapons and armour.


Male Aasimar (Archon) Ranger (Skirmisher, Urban) 1 -- HP 12 : AC 17 CMD 15 TAC 14 FAC 13 : rapier+6; 1d6 : chakram+5; 1d8 : F+2 R+6 W+0 : INIT+4 Perc+0 CMB+1 : CHA mod +4

Ilya calls his familiar to him. "Lola, be a dear and scout ahead for us? The tracks of the prisoners shouldn't be too difficult to spot. Please return and report when you spot something."

Lola turns her black eyes this way and that, surveying the scene. "Two rabbbits."

Ilya squints one eye and presses his lips. "Two mice."

"One rabbit, three mice."

"Four mice."

The raven stares into Ilya's eyes for a moment, then bobs her head. "Agreed." Lola takes off in flight, following the trail of the prisoners.

Watching her fly through the forest, Ilya sighs and smiles, "A haggler after my own heart. She should be back soon. There is little that can travel on ground faster than she can fly."

Lola run speed 160 feet per round.


Male Aasimar (Archon) Ranger (Skirmisher, Urban) 1 -- HP 12 : AC 17 CMD 15 TAC 14 FAC 13 : rapier+6; 1d6 : chakram+5; 1d8 : F+2 R+6 W+0 : INIT+4 Perc+0 CMB+1 : CHA mod +4

As Lola flies off, Ilya spies the wagon. "As the River Freedoms says, you have what you hold, gentlemen. Let us see if anything in this wagon can be of use to Kardas."

Ilya searches the wagon.


Your Humble Narrator

Lola's Rolls:

1d20 ⇒ 4 Survival
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26 Perception

A short time later (about half an hour) the Raven returns to perch on Ilya's shoulder.

I lost the trail after a short time, but it leads north through the forest. I believe they are taking care with their tracks in order to obscure numbers. The forest is very quiet- too quiet. I don't think they are too far away. One mice...

Inside the wagon, Ilya finds that the interior has been designed as a bedroom fit for a king (a Gnome sized one anyway), with silk pillows and a beautiful blanket. Atop a shelf and tied to the shelf by string, are hundreds and hundreds of maps.


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

We will make sure that Fenna takes a good look in the wagon as well after Ilya gives us a decription of the interior and see if she recognizes anything.


HP: 51/60 AC: 22, T:13, FF:21, CMD:16. Fort:+5, Ref:+5, Will:+8(+7). Per:+14, Init:+0, AoO:+8

Fenna frowns as she follows the others into the carnage, looking between the slain for several moments before busying herself with looking for any clues as to the identity of the attackers.

Survival 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17

Do the gnomes' clothes suggest whether they lived among the other races, or in a gnomish enclave?


Your Humble Narrator

Judging from their clothes they were seasoned travellers and had been on the road for some time.


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

We follow the captives then, we must hurry, we can't be sure what is being done to them.
Alex, do you want to roll Kalev's survival check? Assume we are following the tracks with Kalev in the front, Malthir and Casimir next, and then Ilya and Fenna in the back as long as there is no objection to that marching order?


Male Aasimar (Archon) Ranger (Skirmisher, Urban) 1 -- HP 12 : AC 17 CMD 15 TAC 14 FAC 13 : rapier+6; 1d6 : chakram+5; 1d8 : F+2 R+6 W+0 : INIT+4 Perc+0 CMB+1 : CHA mod +4

"Maps! Hundreds of them!" Ilya pops his head out from the wagon. "And I'm guessing that many of them will cover areas that we are very interested in. I say we stow these quickly on a pack mount and get going if we are going to catch those bandits." Ilya begins hauling bundles of maps over to his mount and stuffing them carefully into saddlebags.


hp 60/66, AC 26/17/20, CMD 23/24, F: +8, R: +11, W: +7, init: +5, per: +10 Human Bard 6/Fighter 2

Before we get into combat, we STILL have two masterwork weapons to distribute. If no-one else wants them, Casimir will take them as two MW daggers, but I really think there could be better uses for them. MW crossbow or dagger for the spellcasters? Speak up, people.

Oh, and Bruno is still in Ireland. He will be back tomorrow, so I guess we can roll a survival check on his behalf.


Your Humble Narrator
Malthir Al Dagon wrote:

We follow the captives then, we must hurry, we can't be sure what is being done to them.

Alex, do you want to roll Kalev's survival check? Assume we are following the tracks with Kalev in the front, Malthir and Casimir next, and then Ilya and Fenna in the back as long as there is no objection to that marching order?

I'm going to hold off and let Kalev catch up with the game and post for himself tomorrow as he should be back by the evening.

You get some time to have a few glances at the maps- they seem to accurately map small regions all over Brevoy, and you spot some very familiar territory in the maps too- your own kingdom of Kardas and the northern Greenbelt.


HP: 51/60 AC: 22, T:13, FF:21, CMD:16. Fort:+5, Ref:+5, Will:+8(+7). Per:+14, Init:+0, AoO:+8

"Likely these poor folks' life work," Fenna whispers somberly over the maps, before carefully helping Ilya carry them to safety out of the smoking remains of the crashed wagon.

Casimir wrote:
Before we get into combat, we STILL have two masterwork weapons to distribute. If no-one else wants them, Casimir will take them as two MW daggers, but I really think there could be better uses for them. MW crossbow or dagger for the spellcasters? Speak up, people.

Now that you mention it, I wouldn't mind a masterwork battle aspergillum.


Male Aasimar (Archon) Ranger (Skirmisher, Urban) 1 -- HP 12 : AC 17 CMD 15 TAC 14 FAC 13 : rapier+6; 1d6 : chakram+5; 1d8 : F+2 R+6 W+0 : INIT+4 Perc+0 CMB+1 : CHA mod +4

Ilya will gladly take a masterwork longbow.

Ilya pours over the maps to see if there is anything that is both unfamiliar and close to Kardas.


hp 60/66, AC 26/17/20, CMD 23/24, F: +8, R: +11, W: +7, init: +5, per: +10 Human Bard 6/Fighter 2

While we are waiting for Kalev - Retcon 2:

Foundersfeast Tales 3 - The wedding of Casimir and Kressle:

On the final day of Foundersfeast, as the setting sun played on the waters of the Tuskwater, a crowd of people gathered in front of the monument of Edric the Valiant beneath Kardasholme Castle. A simple altar had been erected in front of the statue, and Jhod Kavken stood in front of it and watched with obvious pleasure as the bride to be approached. During the past two years, his love and admiration for Kressle had grown, and the fact that she was now to enter into marriage with the man she loved filled his heart with joy. Erastil would be truely pleased to see the faithful guardian of his temple wed.

On this occasion, Kressle had forsaken her usual attire of leather armor and handaxes for a long, simple dress of forest green. A wreath of flowers covered her short-chopped hair, and only those who knew her would suspect that she was in fact a battle-hardened warrior and former bandit leader. Four bridesmaids escorted her: Karina, her sister and maid of honor; Vaysh, the beautiful sorceress; and her two new sisters-in-law, Melina and Brigitta, both charming girls aged 16 and 13.

At the alter waited her husband to be. Casimir, Spymaster and Lord of Kardas, bard, duelist and arcane warrior, stood waiting for the woman who had captured his heart, despite (or perhaps because of) the fact that she had almost killed him in battle and more than once had one of her sharp handaxes at his throat. Like Kressle, Casimir also had four friends to stand by him. As his best man stood Malthir Al Dagon, Baron of Kardas, in shining full-plate armor. Beside him Kalev, the half-orc Marshal of Kardas, along with Casimir's brother Jospeh and Gregor Orlev, captain of the Bodevski caravan guards and Casimir's instructor in the ways of the sword.

As Kressle reached the altar and stood besides Casimir, he smiled at her and quietly whispered, I am so glad you could make it, my dear. Mikmek gave me a full report of your entertaining afternoon. I must admit I'm a little disappointed you got to have all the fun. Kressle returned his smile. Her dress was cut just low enough to reveal the hint of a thin scar across her chest, showing the signs of recent magical healing. Don't worry yourself, my love, she replied in her low, husky voice. I promise you there will be plenty of fun later...if you have the stamina for it, after the party is done.

A wolfish grin spread across Casimir's lips, but a stern cough from Jhod quickly brought a more somber look to his face. As the priest spoke the words of the ceremony, both the bride and groom stood silently along with the gathered guests. Once the ritual was complete, a cheer rose from the crowd, and the newlyweds exchanged a passionate kiss before leading the procession into the castle, where a feast was made ready.

The festivities lasted for a good long while, and the sky had begun to lighten outside as the couple slipped out of the hall and into their quarters. So, mrs Bodevski...how do you feel? Casimir asked, as he unfastened his mithril armor and let it slip to the floor. His wife shot him a wicked grin. Very happy that I didn't manage to kill you. she replied, and reached for the laces of her dress.


Male Aasimar (Archon) Ranger (Skirmisher, Urban) 1 -- HP 12 : AC 17 CMD 15 TAC 14 FAC 13 : rapier+6; 1d6 : chakram+5; 1d8 : F+2 R+6 W+0 : INIT+4 Perc+0 CMB+1 : CHA mod +4

bump


Male (HP 69/71, AC- 23 T- 15 FF- 18 CMD- 28, F +11, R +10, W +6, P +15*, In +3*, AOO +17) Half-orc Ranger (Guide) 7/Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 1
DM Alexander Kilcoyne wrote:

Bah... Had this post a lot more descriptive but the post monster ate it. And yes, I had the post copied but then copied something else, damn multitasking...

Proceeding into the Narlmarches along the Skunk River, the Guardians have already had lunch and are exploring the region when they crest a small hill near the river. A few hundred feet below them, a recent battle has obviously occured in a clearing near the river. You can all make out a smouldering wagon that has almost finished burning, crashed into a tree, and you can see corpses littering the ground. Some of the Guardians make out other details too...

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

** spoiler omitted **

Pardon, was in late and only got to catch up now.

Perception: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20

Kalev looks grimly at the scene before them, before bending to the ground looking for tracks.

Survival: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (3) + 12 = 15

After a few minutes, he stands up, saying It is difficult to follow these tracks. I think whoever left them took care to obscure them. Hopefully Ilya's bird will have more luck.


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

You could just take a 10? If not we can try again in an hour and have Fenna assist you so it will be a 24.


Male (HP 69/71, AC- 23 T- 15 FF- 18 CMD- 28, F +11, R +10, W +6, P +15*, In +3*, AOO +17) Half-orc Ranger (Guide) 7/Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 1

Yeah, realised after the roll. If ok with Alex, Kalev will try once more, this time with feeling, so to speak and take 10 for a 22.


Your Humble Narrator

A 15 actually passed. Also remember you had both tracking and favoured terrain to that roll, your deep into the woods.

Kalev manages to follow the trail quite easily, but he does notice that someone has skillfully obscured their numbers as they travelled north- Kalev does not manage to get a good read of how many attackers there were.

Ilya- You don't get enough time to look through them all, but you definitely spotted a map of the area around Swordhaven among them- the area around the old Stag Lord's Fort.

DM Only:

S- 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25, 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10
K- 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (10) + 0 = 10
T- 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (20) + 10 = 30

Kalev-1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11 (favoured terrain (woods)
Fenna- 1d20 - 3 ⇒ (7) - 3 = 4 (15 at night)
Malthir-1d20 - 14 ⇒ (19) - 14 = 5
Ilya-1d20 - 5 ⇒ (7) - 5 = 2
Casimir-1d20 - 7 ⇒ (16) - 7 = 9

After less than half an hour of travel, Kalev calls a halt. Along the trail just a few feet ahead of you, are several fresh blood stains. Twenty feet further along, more bloodstains. Another twenty feet from that- a Gnome lying facedown in a pool of blood, a pair of manacles lying next to him.

Kalev Only:

You spot a quick glimmer of movement in the woods a good twenty feet beyond the body and a little off the trail- a man in breastplate armour and a full faced helm who appears to be observing your group.


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

Whispers to the other Guardians, this smells of a trap, be cautious. he starts scanning the area for danger:
perception 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (9) - 1 = 8 as Sgt. Schultz would say, I see NOTHING....


Your Humble Narrator
Malthir Al Dagon wrote:

Whispers to the other Guardians, this smells of a trap, be cautious. he starts scanning the area for danger:

perception 1d20-1 as Sgt. Schultz would say, I see NOTHING....

I have made a general perception check on all of your behalfs FYI- although I made it with a the penalty for being distracted by the blood and the Gnome's body. Depending on Kalev's IC reaction you may get to make another soon.


HP: 51/60 AC: 22, T:13, FF:21, CMD:16. Fort:+5, Ref:+5, Will:+8(+7). Per:+14, Init:+0, AoO:+8

"Perhaps," Fenna says, cautiously moving a little past Kalev to reach a hand out in the direction of the gnome and utter a brief prayer, "May Aroden's eye look mercifully upon this soul."

Stabilize


Your Humble Narrator
Fenna Thistleswade wrote:

"Perhaps," Fenna says, cautiously moving a little past Kalev to reach a hand out in the direction of the gnome and utter a brief prayer, "May Aroden's eye look mercifully upon this soul."

Stabilize

Sorry I had the distances a little wrong in my description, you would need to move quite a lot closer to cast stabilise (I have it mapped out, your all about 100 feet from the body at the moment (forgot about the pesky extra distance from diagonals)).


Male Aasimar (Archon) Ranger (Skirmisher, Urban) 1 -- HP 12 : AC 17 CMD 15 TAC 14 FAC 13 : rapier+6; 1d6 : chakram+5; 1d8 : F+2 R+6 W+0 : INIT+4 Perc+0 CMB+1 : CHA mod +4

Mutter softly to himself and twitching his fingers, Ilya casts a spell and suddenly disappears from view. A disembodied voice whispers to the group, "Hang tight, I will be right back."

Cast invisibility and move at half speed (30ft/round) toward the gnome.

Stealth
1d20 + 23 ⇒ (12) + 23 = 35


hp 60/66, AC 26/17/20, CMD 23/24, F: +8, R: +11, W: +7, init: +5, per: +10 Human Bard 6/Fighter 2

Casimir dismounts and moves to stand beside Malthir and Kalev with his sword drawn. Aye, this certainly looks suspicious.

He pulls a scroll from his scroll case. There may be need to move quickly. Hang on a second while I cast this. He unfolds the scroll and quickly mutters off the arcane words inscribed upon it. Once he is done, his legs seems to shimmer with barely contained energy.

Use a scroll of expeditious retreat.


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

At this point I am still mounted and have Lance readied so you are probably standing by my horse.


Your Humble Narrator

I'm going to let Kalev post before my update, as certain things may end up being retconned. He has spotted something hes very likely to have mentioned before the steps you took.


Male (HP 69/71, AC- 23 T- 15 FF- 18 CMD- 28, F +11, R +10, W +6, P +15*, In +3*, AOO +17) Half-orc Ranger (Guide) 7/Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 1

Kalev tenses and grips his ranseur with both hands as he spots the person further ahead and points in the direction with the enchanted polearm.

Who goes there?! Kalev says in a loud voice. Announce yourself or you will be assumed an enemy!


Male (HP 69/71, AC- 23 T- 15 FF- 18 CMD- 28, F +11, R +10, W +6, P +15*, In +3*, AOO +17) Half-orc Ranger (Guide) 7/Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 1

Something fishy is going on with posts, so reposting.

Kalev tenses and grips his ranseur with both hands as he spots the person further ahead and points in the direction with the enchanted polearm.

Who goes there?! Kalev says in a loud voice. Announce yourself or you will be assumed an enemy!


hp 60/66, AC 26/17/20, CMD 23/24, F: +8, R: +11, W: +7, init: +5, per: +10 Human Bard 6/Fighter 2

Casimir's actions stands as posted.


Your Humble Narrator

The other Guardians aren't able to make anything out. The figure Kalev spots darts behind a nearby tree and Kalev loses sight of him.

Tanner said on MSN he'll still be invisi-scouting.

Ilya, you slowly and stealthily move forward, the Guardians tense and unsure of what is happening. Your just about to reach the Gnome when...

Ilya Only:

1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13 Perception (fail)
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23 Reflex Save (success)

You stepped onto the ground and found it was camoflauged. With a yelp, you managed to leap back from the pit that opened up beneath you.

The Guardians hear a yelp from Ilya as the ground near the fallen Gnome crumbles away and the Gnomes body falls into the trap- possibly along with Ilya. Battle cries can be heard from around you as three assailants no one spotted suddenly attack. One of them gleefully shouts-

Hey Karas, we gots the Elf in a hole!

Two of the men appear from their hiding spots in the dense woods to each side of the pit to begin moving towards the Guardians, wielding nasty looking Guisarmes. A third man that looks like one of the local hunters nocks an arrow to his longbow and lets fly at Kalev, but the arrow thuds into a nearby tree instead.

1d20 + 9 ⇒ (3) + 9 = 12
1d8 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Please note- every single square is difficult terrain. You don't have line of sight on Karas but you have line of sight to everyone else. I'm out for a game of squash but feel free to roll initiative for round one and i'll get the map up when i'm home...


hp 60/66, AC 26/17/20, CMD 23/24, F: +8, R: +11, W: +7, init: +5, per: +10 Human Bard 6/Fighter 2

Initiative 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12


Duke of Kardas, First Sword of Iomedae HP:76 AC:27 F:+14, R:+8, W:+12 CMD:23/24 P:-1 Init:+0 AOO:+16

You attack us without provocation, well I hope you brought a lot more men, I don't think the 4 of you will satisfy my appetite for justice for what you did to those poor Gnomes!
initiative 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (14) + 0 = 14


Male (HP 69/71, AC- 23 T- 15 FF- 18 CMD- 28, F +11, R +10, W +6, P +15*, In +3*, AOO +17) Half-orc Ranger (Guide) 7/Barbarian (Invulnerable Rager) 1

Initiative: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6

Remember, you all have +2 to initiative checks and Perception, Stealth, and Survival because of me


Male Aasimar (Archon) Ranger (Skirmisher, Urban) 1 -- HP 12 : AC 17 CMD 15 TAC 14 FAC 13 : rapier+6; 1d6 : chakram+5; 1d8 : F+2 R+6 W+0 : INIT+4 Perc+0 CMB+1 : CHA mod +4

Initiative 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23

1 to 50 of 4,585 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DM Alexander Kilcoyne's Kingmaker PBP- Chapter 2 All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.