Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

DDEX 01-06 The Scroll Thief [5e Adventurers League]

Game Master Aeshuura

An adventure for 1st-4th level characters.


51 to 100 of 306 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>

Female Lightfoot Halfling Wild Magic Sorcerer 1 | AC 12 | Init +2 | HP 8/8 | Pass Perc 11 | Spells 1st: 1/2 DC 13 Atk +5 | Tides 0/1 | ST Str +0 Dex +2 Con +4 Int -1 Wis +1 Cha +5

"We should go to the closest one. Easier to find a pattern that way," Glenda says, trying to sound smart.

She whispers to Cassra when the party leaves. "You wouldn't happen to have a book with cooking recipes would you? Particularly the best way to cook river flounder? Sweetberries and white onions really bring out the flavour, but is there a better way? Oh.. and have you ever heard of... uh.. a halfling fish flinger?"

Grand Lodge

Map| DCI #6203763429

Krissina:
Ren o' the Blade, as he was known, became a hero of Phlan when he and his adventuring party faced the Dragon, Tyranthraxis many years ago, maybe a century or more.

Grand Lodge

Map| DCI #6203763429

So the wizard first?

Dark Archive

Forest Gnome - Male Wizard/4: HP (22/22): AC (12): Saves (Str=-1/Dex=2/Con=1/Int=6/Wis=2/Cha=1): Initiative +2: Perception +0 (15 passive)

That would definitely be Fronar's 1st choice

Grand Lodge

Map| DCI #6203763429

The wizard, it is then.

The address for Aya Glenmiir leads you to the nicer side of Podol Plaza. As one of you knocks upon the door of this unassuming building, it opens to reveal a half-elf wearing robes standing in the doorway. The scent of flowers and incense diffuses from within.

Perched on the elf's shoulder is a small grey-furred monkey that tilts its head and grins at Fronar. I take it that you are here to interrogate me about the missing book? She smiles, Master Opanrael is certainly distrustful.


Female Lightfoot Halfling Wild Magic Sorcerer 1 | AC 12 | Init +2 | HP 8/8 | Pass Perc 11 | Spells 1st: 1/2 DC 13 Atk +5 | Tides 0/1 | ST Str +0 Dex +2 Con +4 Int -1 Wis +1 Cha +5

"Well, interrogation is a strong word. Discuss might be better. Could you tell us more about how it was lost and if you saw the thief? Glenda eyes the monkey.

"Say, Fronar. I've heard that gnomes can speak to small animals. You think the monkey knows something? Did you bring some peanuts? Or a banana?"

Grand Lodge

Map| DCI #6203763429

Arcanist Glenmiir smiles at Glenda's comment and says, Perhaps the street may not be the appropriate setting for a discussion. Won't you come in and join me for some tea?

The half-elf leads you all to a small front room and pours you each some tea from a teapot that seems far too small to provide enough for all of you, before sitting across from Glenda. Her face scrunches up a bit almost as if spitting out something distasteful, Somehow, the thief thwarted my arcane wards and stole the book from my very own bedroom. Because of its value, only a handful of people actually had knowledge that I was in possession of the tome. If you wish to see the case that I held it in, I can show it to you.


AC: 18 | HP: 7/11 | Init: -1 | Perc: +3 | Spell Slots: 1st: 0/2 | Inspiration: [_] | Saves: S: +2, D: -1, Co: +2, I: +1, W: +5, Ch: +2 | War Preist: 1/3 | Str Dam: 2

Drakr sips the tea and then makes a face before setting the cup down.

"That would be good, this case was where your wards were? Also if you could list off all the people who knew you had it, that would be very useful too... "

Only a handful of people... this could be a lot easier than I thought.


Level 3 Tiefling Bard | Init +1 | HP 21/21 | AC 13 | S-/D+3/C+1/I+3/W-1/C+5 | Perc +0 | Insp [] | Bardic Insp 1/3

"Were you in bed at the time? Or in the building?"


Female Half Elf | Warlock 2 | Spell slot 2 First | DC: 13 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 14 | Saves: S-1, D+3, Co+2, I0, W+3, Ch+5 | Passive Insight and Perception: 13 |

When they enter mages room, Sera looks around in interest, almost touching a number of things before stopping herself. Thwarted.. such a fun word thwarted, tthhwwaarrtteedd. Now, does that mean the thief just ignored the wards, or were they dispelled somehow? Oh, maybe the thief broke them, took the book, and recast the wards to make you THINK they were thwarted... Hmm.. Oh, could they have animated the book and made it walk over to them? Do your wards thwart books from leaving, or only hands getting in? A moment later, she giggles, Thwart..


Female Lightfoot Halfling Wild Magic Sorcerer 1 | AC 12 | Init +2 | HP 8/8 | Pass Perc 11 | Spells 1st: 1/2 DC 13 Atk +5 | Tides 0/1 | ST Str +0 Dex +2 Con +4 Int -1 Wis +1 Cha +5

"Yes... tea, but there are other places to go to. Maybe at another time. When we've returned the book. And what flavour of tea?" Glenda says,

Dark Archive

Forest Gnome - Male Wizard/4: HP (22/22): AC (12): Saves (Str=-1/Dex=2/Con=1/Int=6/Wis=2/Cha=1): Initiative +2: Perception +0 (15 passive)

Using the forest gnome ability to speak with small animals and convey friendship, Fronar speaks in undeniable "baby talk", while addresseing the monkey, "Hey there little fella. Whose a good monkey! Whose a good monkey! Yes, YOU'RE a good monkey!" Grinning ear to ear he turns his attention to Glenmiir.

Fronar performs an elaborate bow. "Συγγνώμη που σας ενοχλεί, αν είστε απασχολημένοι τώρα, μπορούμε πάντα να επιστρέψουμε αργότερα. Με ιδιαίτερη χαρά σας συναντήσω, είμαι μαθητής Fronar Gossamar στο Alu Ashk του Silvercat Keep."

Elven:
"Sorry to disturb you, if you're busy right now, we can always come back later. Very pleased to meet you, I am Fronar Gossamar apprentice to Alu Ashk of Silvercat Keep."

"If it would be agreeable, perhaps we should converse in the common tongue, you know, because of..." Fronar tosses his head back a few times, obviously referring to the rest of the party, but trying not to offend them. "In your research of the text in question, did you come across anything that stuck out as strange? If you're familiar with the other missing manuscripts, would you infer a connection or possible conclusion as to the intent of what a person or group would gain by using the information contained in concert?"

"Εάν θα τολμούσατε, θα εκτιμούσα πολύ την ευκαιρία να δω, ενδεχομένως να μεταγράψω κάποια ξόρκια στο μυαλό μου. Έχω μια μακρά αναζήτηση μπροστά για να την γεμίσω, για να κατευνάσει τον κύριό μου και μια βοήθεια που μπορείτε να παρέχετε θα βοηθούσε να ξεκινήσω."

Elven:
"If you would be so inclined, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to view, possibly transcribe some spells to my spellbook. I have a long quest ahead to fill it, in order to appease my master and an assistance you can provide would help get me started."

Finishing his last statement Fronar nods respectfully toward the wizard.

Grand Lodge

Map| DCI #6203763429

The half-elf looks as if she is sorting through the barrage of questions, Master Dwarf, I would write you up a list, though you will find almost all of them officials from the library. Only two were consultants that live in Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate, respectively, and are respected wizards.

Wisdom (Insight) DC 10:
You think that Aya Glenmiir is not telling you everything...

At Glenda, she smiles and says with a wink, Oh, I do like a Calim Dark tea. The caffeine keeps me from dozing through my studies, a danger of my age.

Aya watches Seraphyna as she inspects the case, with some amusement.

Wisdom (Perception) DC 15:
You notice cunningly etched runes around the edges of each pane of glass.

If made it by 5 or more:
You notice that one of the runes was marred subtly. Make an Intelligence (Arcana) check.

The monkey, in response to Fronar, grins and points at his own chest with two hands then opens his palms outstretched toward the little gnome.

Aya's response in Elvish, delivered with a gentle smile:
I am sorry, little Fronar, but that is a fairly rude request to make of another wizard. While I am fond of sharing knowledge, it would be irresponsible to share spells with a wizard of whom I have little or no knowledge.


Female Half Elf | Warlock 2 | Spell slot 2 First | DC: 13 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 14 | Saves: S-1, D+3, Co+2, I0, W+3, Ch+5 | Passive Insight and Perception: 13 |

Insight: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Sera sighs audibly as Fronar slips between his various languages. We get it, you're smart, know lots of languages. Commenting about how we should use the common tongue by speaking half your conversation in a second one is just plain rude! Thal's balls! I speak five, you don't see me prattling on in Dwarvish or Sylvan do you. At the mention of the Sylvan language, Sera shudders visibly, waving off any attempts to help her.


Female Lightfoot Halfling Wild Magic Sorcerer 1 | AC 12 | Init +2 | HP 8/8 | Pass Perc 11 | Spells 1st: 1/2 DC 13 Atk +5 | Tides 0/1 | ST Str +0 Dex +2 Con +4 Int -1 Wis +1 Cha +5

"Hmm..." Glenda ponders.

Insight: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9

Glenda peers at the case. Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6

She looks to the rest of the group, wondering if they have discovered something that's eluded her...

Dark Archive

Forest Gnome - Male Wizard/4: HP (22/22): AC (12): Saves (Str=-1/Dex=2/Con=1/Int=6/Wis=2/Cha=1): Initiative +2: Perception +0 (15 passive)

Wisdom: Insight: 1d20 ⇒ 10

If anyone makes the check and asks Fronar for help in identifying the runes

Arcana: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21

"No disrespect or offense intended. The request is intended for even the simplest spells. I had no delusion of imparting these unknown eyes on any of your more challenging, complicated, or coveted arcane knowledge."

if applicable...

persuasion: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

"Whatever your decision, I admire the friendliness of your little companion. He appears to be craving a hug though."

I missed that there were 2 different wisdom checks, please include this for the 2nd.

wisdom: perception: 1d20 ⇒ 13

Grand Lodge

Map| DCI #6203763429

Fronar, you made the Insight check, are you going to share that information?

Regarding the spells... The elderly wizard looks at Fronar, Even the simplest of spells, used irresponsibly may cause all sorts of havoc, young Gossamar. Prove yourself worthy, and perhaps I will share my trust with you.

In response to the comment about her familiar, Aya laughs, Frackas is a ham, and will do anything for attention. Especially attention that involves treats.

Dark Archive

Forest Gnome - Male Wizard/4: HP (22/22): AC (12): Saves (Str=-1/Dex=2/Con=1/Int=6/Wis=2/Cha=1): Initiative +2: Perception +0 (15 passive)

Yes, I will pass the info on to the rest of the party, but Fronar would not accuse the wizard of withholding info in front of her. If the wizard steps out of the room, I would quietly tell the rest my suspicion.

"You clarified ALMOST all were officials of the library. Could you elaborate on the 2 consultants? Did YOU commission their insight, or did someone else?"

wait for reply and continue with next question.

"If you wouldn't mind clarifying, I'm not sure you stated, what your interest in the book is?"

wait and continue.

"Likewise, refer to a previous inquiry, if you had to speculate... should you already have access to the other books, what would YOU THINK, someone would have to gain by acquiring this book?"

Fronar would be careful NOT to insinuate the wizard's involvement and avoid offending her. In case it might apply to this "investigation"...

investigation: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


Male Lizardfolk | Fighter (Champion) 4 | Bite 1/1 | 2W 1/1 | AS 1/1 | HD 1/4 | HP 40/40 | AC 16 | S4, D2, C5, I-1, W2, C-1 | PP 14 | Status: -4 Str | Insp: Used

Insight: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

Perception: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22

Rakish stands quietly as the rest converse back and forth. While he does so, he examines the finely crafted case.

Noticing the lines, he says, You do etchings. I also etch into solid material. But your work is flawed. Your lines are not consistent; they bleed off the intended path. Sera, you will show her your club. It is an example of quality work.

Hopefully that will allow the smarter folk to make an arcane check.

As soon as everyone is properly distracted, Rakish will say to Aya, Like your skrimshaw, your words are sloppy. It is time to correct that. You will tell us the complete story and not leave anything out.


Female Lightfoot Halfling Wild Magic Sorcerer 1 | AC 12 | Init +2 | HP 8/8 | Pass Perc 11 | Spells 1st: 1/2 DC 13 Atk +5 | Tides 0/1 | ST Str +0 Dex +2 Con +4 Int -1 Wis +1 Cha +5

"Come now, Glenmir. There is something that is on the tip of your tongue that is unsaid. Please share with us this information, else we might be needing several servings of that Dark Tea," Glenda says.

Persuasion: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18

I hope he didn't find that too much! This isn't an unruly customer at your restaurant, you know... he could blast me into clove sized pieces! Glenda thinks to herself.

Grand Lodge

Map| DCI #6203763429

Intelligence (Arcana) DC 10:
You know that this imperfection was intentionally made to thwart the wards. By marring the runes at this particular rune, the thief inactivated the spell without a discharge. You think that this may have been the work of a professional, for this is no accidental trick.

The elder wizard stares at Glenda for a few seconds, then lets out a deep breath, I have long invested a great deal of time and resources in warding my home to appease the Lord Sage, to earn his trust. I fear that this will merely give him an excuse to demand that I return all of the books that he has entrusted me with...

She is quiet for a moment, and you see a rare glimpse of vulnerability in this normally confident arcanist, I lied... the book was not the only item stolen. Some of my personal effects were taken as well. A magic horn that I had found in my adventuring days and three spell scrolls were taken as well.

For once, I am at a loss... I put my fate in your hands.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Female Lightfoot Halfling Wild Magic Sorcerer 1 | AC 12 | Init +2 | HP 8/8 | Pass Perc 11 | Spells 1st: 1/2 DC 13 Atk +5 | Tides 0/1 | ST Str +0 Dex +2 Con +4 Int -1 Wis +1 Cha +5

Arcana: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (13) - 1 = 12

Oooh. She buckled. Whew... for a moment I thought I was going to be turned into a mouse, Glenda thinks.

"Oh my goodness. I am surprised you are not more angry. If anyone had taken something from me, I'd hunt him down and cleave his fingers and smack him a few times with my... nevermind. Rest assured, Aya, we will find the criminal and return the items to you if he or she has it on him. But he seems to be a wily one; he knew how to impair your wards.

"And the Lord Sage need not hear of this! Now could you tell us more about this magic horn and the scrolls?" Glenda says.

Dark Archive

Forest Gnome - Male Wizard/4: HP (22/22): AC (12): Saves (Str=-1/Dex=2/Con=1/Int=6/Wis=2/Cha=1): Initiative +2: Perception +0 (15 passive)

"Do you feel the horn and scrolls were specifically searched for? Or do you think they were simply items of opportunity? In other words, is there a purpose you could hypothesize to acquiring ALL these specific items at once?"

Grand Lodge

Map| DCI #6203763429

Aya smiles weakly, I am not as young as I once was, and have never been good at the subtle clues that the local constabulary should be, so I would not even know where to begin.

Looking at Fronar, she continues, They do have some sentimental value, and if this thief was trying to strike at me, personally, then they would have taken the horn. But no, I do not think that they were anything but a theft of convenience.

Thinking upon Glenda's question, she seems to come to a conclusion, The horn was something that I had claimed in my adventuring days, a horn of blasting. If this thief spends time figuring out how it works, he may use it against you, so be careful. The three scrolls contained, what were they, detect magic, a fireball, and I think, hold person...

She lets out a deep breath as if she is exhausted, I thank you for your discretion, but I probably should tell him, even if it means losing some privilege. I just ask that you find this thief and bring him to justice.


Female Lightfoot Halfling Wild Magic Sorcerer 1 | AC 12 | Init +2 | HP 8/8 | Pass Perc 11 | Spells 1st: 1/2 DC 13 Atk +5 | Tides 0/1 | ST Str +0 Dex +2 Con +4 Int -1 Wis +1 Cha +5

"F-fireball? And a horn of blasting would also be quite damaging, wouldn't it? Well, Aya, we'll take note of these things. I wish you all the best and hope that he'll be measured. Try offering him some tea with a nice pastry. That should keep things civilized," Glenda says.

She turns to the rest of the party. "I think Aya has offered us all she can. Off to see... Marten in the Nobles Quarter then?"

Grand Lodge

Map| DCI #6203763429

You approach the small building noted on your list of addresses. Shouts and the clamor of steel on steel are clearly audible, even before the stout doors to the practice yard open. A middle-aged dwarf props one of the double doors open with a stump of an arm that has been amputated just above the elbow.

Inside, a wide practice yard is surrounded by covered walkways set with chairs and tables. A number of people in various stages of exhaustion rest in the shade.

The dwarf bids you enter with a frown, Come 'bout the book, I suppose?


Female Half Elf | Warlock 2 | Spell slot 2 First | DC: 13 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 14 | Saves: S-1, D+3, Co+2, I0, W+3, Ch+5 | Passive Insight and Perception: 13 |

Actually, Rakish there thinks he can take on your whole yard at once. We told him he shouldn't, and after hours and hours he finally relented. Tough old lizard he his, eats zombies for lunch, literally! She pauses a moment, then strikes the Ah HA! pose. Yes the book, that too, we've been asked by a very dashing knight to look into it for her, because she has duties elsewhere. Dashing, can you call a girl dashing? Demure, no. Dainty, hardly. Direct, well I suppose. So, what's the kerbubble about this book?


AC: 18 | HP: 7/11 | Init: -1 | Perc: +3 | Spell Slots: 1st: 0/2 | Inspiration: [_] | Saves: S: +2, D: -1, Co: +2, I: +1, W: +5, Ch: +2 | War Preist: 1/3 | Str Dam: 2

Drakr's face is a mirror of the middle aged Dwarves frown as he listens to Sera's rambling, then he simply nods at the dwarf. "Yes, we need to talk to Foss, and probably see where the book was before it was stolen. "

Grand Lodge

Map| DCI #6203763429

Member of Order of the Gauntlet only; Wisdom (Perception) DC 12:
The dwarf wears a silver chain and pendant in the shape of a gauntlet grasping a blade. This dwarf is evidently a member of your Order.

I will continue this tomorrow morning.


AC: 18 | HP: 7/11 | Init: -1 | Perc: +3 | Spell Slots: 1st: 0/2 | Inspiration: [_] | Saves: S: +2, D: -1, Co: +2, I: +1, W: +5, Ch: +2 | War Preist: 1/3 | Str Dam: 2

Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

Drakr's eyes flick to the chain around the Dwarf's neck and then he places his fist against his left breast and nods again, this time with an air of familiarity.


Level 3 Tiefling Bard | Init +1 | HP 21/21 | AC 13 | S-/D+3/C+1/I+3/W-1/C+5 | Perc +0 | Insp [] | Bardic Insp 1/3

"I don't think dashing is necessarily gender-specific, though I can't say that in my reading I've seen it applied to a lady before?" Krissina muses in answer to Seraphyna.


Male Lizardfolk | Fighter (Champion) 4 | Bite 1/1 | 2W 1/1 | AS 1/1 | HD 1/4 | HP 40/40 | AC 16 | S4, D2, C5, I-1, W2, C-1 | PP 14 | Status: -4 Str | Insp: Used

Rakish gives Sera a quizzical look.


Female Lightfoot Halfling Wild Magic Sorcerer 1 | AC 12 | Init +2 | HP 8/8 | Pass Perc 11 | Spells 1st: 1/2 DC 13 Atk +5 | Tides 0/1 | ST Str +0 Dex +2 Con +4 Int -1 Wis +1 Cha +5

Well, the dwarf seems to have this under control... Glenda thinks. She lets him take charge of the situation. She casts her eye around, looking for anything interesting.

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16

Grand Lodge

Map| DCI #6203763429

The dwarf nods to Drakr, I be Foss.

Seraphyna's comment brings forth a laugh, Yer scaly friend is more than welcome to try his piece, though all my students may be a bit much for him. Perhaps he might want to test 'imself against Vera!

As he says this he gestures with his stump toward a young dwarf lass, armed with a pair of handaxes, in the practice yard that is facing off with a handful of men by herself. She seems to be holding her own, if the looks on the faces of her opponents is any indication...

But he turns back to Drakr, nodding again to the dwarf's gesture in some unspoken acknowledgement, Come, there'll be time fer that later. The book in question held the personal journal o' Ren o' the Blade. Ye know of 'im? Had the book in me bookshelf nigh a decade. It seems that the book what the only thing was thief'd from me home.

He takes you into the entry at the back of the practice yard, leading to a fine dwelling decorated in what could only be described as a distinct dwarvish style. Everything in Marten Foss' house seems to be made of stout wood or stone and everything is low to the ground. He takes to a simple, yet beautiful bookshelf. Yon book was here.

You can see that there do not seem to be any traps or locks that would have secured the book.


Female Lightfoot Halfling Wild Magic Sorcerer 1 | AC 12 | Init +2 | HP 8/8 | Pass Perc 11 | Spells 1st: 1/2 DC 13 Atk +5 | Tides 0/1 | ST Str +0 Dex +2 Con +4 Int -1 Wis +1 Cha +5

Glenda can't help herself and pipes up.
"Very nice place you have here. Love the decor. Very homely and distinctive. Pardon me for asking, but who knew you had this book? They seem to be very focused. They also took other things from the other place they robbed. Did he do the same here?"

After waiting for Foss to respond, Glenda asks more questions

"Was there anything in the book that would serve a thief? The location to a lost treasure, or some piece of incriminating information?" Glenda asks.

History: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (3) - 1 = 2 Heard anything about Ren of the Blade? Guess not!


AC: 18 | HP: 7/11 | Init: -1 | Perc: +3 | Spell Slots: 1st: 0/2 | Inspiration: [_] | Saves: S: +2, D: -1, Co: +2, I: +1, W: +5, Ch: +2 | War Preist: 1/3 | Str Dam: 2

History : 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

"You know I've never heard of Ren of the Blade till this morning. I only know that he was a Ranger of sorts and a famous citizen of Phlan. Was he also of noble birth?
Have you any idea how the thief broke in?"

Drakr starts looking around the room for any clues the thief meh have left behind...

Investigation or Perception? : 1d20 ⇒ 10 Perception +3 (13), or Investigation +1 (11)

Grand Lodge

Map| DCI #6203763429

Marten Foss almost looks exasperated at the ignorance of you lot, but instead his face splits in a broad smile, and you realize that he now gets to talk about one of his favorite things, Well now, Ren o' the Blade was nae o' noble blood, rather he was an adventurer built up his own riches, 'e did. He was instrumental in the defeat of the ancient spirit of Tyranthraxus, that fell ghost what possessed a bronze dragon and used that form to rule Phlan a century or more ago!

Foss sits on a stool and scratches his well-trimmed beard before continuing, The journal tells of how Tyranthraxus fled below Phlan into a Pool of Radiance blow the old Valjevo Keep. Don't know what they would want from that book, it's more tales than anything that might be of use to anyone.

Looking to Drakr he shrugs, The man's got ta have some stones ta be walking into me home with me about. Don't find need ta leave too often. I noticed it were missin' four nights prior when I set about to read a bit 'afore beddin' down fer the night.

With a sad smile he looks at you all, Ye thinks I might be seein' it again, my book? Don't even care if ye find the thief, I just want me book back.

Looking about, it certainly looks like it was the only object taken from this area.


Male Lizardfolk | Fighter (Champion) 4 | Bite 1/1 | 2W 1/1 | AS 1/1 | HD 1/4 | HP 40/40 | AC 16 | S4, D2, C5, I-1, W2, C-1 | PP 14 | Status: -4 Str | Insp: Used

We will find the book, Rakish says reassuringly.

Despite his brevity, he is confident in his words.

Grand Lodge

Map| DCI #6203763429

Smiling, he lets out a breath, I had almost forgotten the confidence of adventuring types. Ye are the one the young half-elf calls Rakish, eh? Care to try yer hand against Vera? She could use the trainin' against someone as strong as ye.

He turns to Drakr with a grin, Or maybe ye'd like to take a few swings with her?


Male Lizardfolk | Fighter (Champion) 4 | Bite 1/1 | 2W 1/1 | AS 1/1 | HD 1/4 | HP 40/40 | AC 16 | S4, D2, C5, I-1, W2, C-1 | PP 14 | Status: -4 Str | Insp: Used

We will clash axes, Rakish says in agreement.

Only if it's not going to hold up the game for everyone else.


Female Lightfoot Halfling Wild Magic Sorcerer 1 | AC 12 | Init +2 | HP 8/8 | Pass Perc 11 | Spells 1st: 1/2 DC 13 Atk +5 | Tides 0/1 | ST Str +0 Dex +2 Con +4 Int -1 Wis +1 Cha +5

"Oh this should be interesting," Glenda says of the impending fight. She expects the Lizard will triumph quite easily.

"One last question, Foss. Who would know that you possessed the book? That might be a good place to start our search for the thief and to bring him, or her, to justice," Glenda says.

Grand Lodge

Map| DCI #6203763429

The dwarf smiles and leads you back to practice yard with a smile, and responds to Glenda's question, Oh, it was no secret. I'm sure that many who had any interest in the Blade knew that I possessed the book. O' course, I never announced it to the world. I be sorry that I cannae be o' any help in that respect.

As he reaches the edge of the yard, he calls out to the dwarf lass. Yeah, Da? comes the response.

Ye have a challenger, the older dwarf gestures at Rakish with his stump.

The young dwarf tosses the handaxes aside and walks over to a rack of practice weapons, grabbing a pair of padded handaxes. These weapons seem to be saturated with chalk dust to leave marks upon impact. Vera smiles and invites the lizardman to select his choice of weapons.

No armor, no magic, and no hitting in the face, she says with a grin. First to three successful strikes, wins.

Rakish, would you like me to make all the rolls, then narrate the fight, or would you like to make your rolls? If you want to make your own rolls, make an Initiative check and as many rolls as it would take you to hit AC 12 three times, and I will do the same.

DM Rolls:
Vera Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (8) + 2 = 10
Round 1: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Round 2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Round 3: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 18


Female Half Elf | Warlock 2 | Spell slot 2 First | DC: 13 | HP: 17/17 | AC: 14 | Saves: S-1, D+3, Co+2, I0, W+3, Ch+5 | Passive Insight and Perception: 13 |

When Rakish takes up the challenge, Sera's eyes sparkle with pride, or maybe with the glint of gold, one never can tell with merchants. I've got two to one odds that the mighty champion of the grounds VERA can take this rascally upstart Rakish. Now, for those of you less knowledgeable on wagers that means If you bet 2 on Vera, and she wins, you get 3. If you bet 1 on Rakish, and he wins, you get 2. If you bet on the loser, WAGER BETTER! She then looks around to see if there are any takers.

Come on now?! Are you lot going to let some stranger come in here and show you up? Don't have a gold? Not a problem, I'll deal in coppers, silvers, produce, or even dates for my fine Gnomish friend there. Turning to no one particular, she adds, much quieter, Very sad really, all that time studying, never got to enjoy the fairer sex, now he doesn't even know what he likes... She then giggles and returns to her boisterous voice, Bouts about to start, place your bets place your bets! She then proceeds to take any reasonable bets, if anyone tries to wager hundreds of gold, she laughs at them and jokingly tells them to go to a real gambling hall.

Sera herself has like 70 gold so I'll try and limit it to less than that. I have enough DM rewards gold to buy a castle, so if wagers go beyond that be I'll mark off a few thousand and we can call it a penalty for over expenditure, if that's OK.


Female Lightfoot Halfling Wild Magic Sorcerer 1 | AC 12 | Init +2 | HP 8/8 | Pass Perc 11 | Spells 1st: 1/2 DC 13 Atk +5 | Tides 0/1 | ST Str +0 Dex +2 Con +4 Int -1 Wis +1 Cha +5

"I'll take that bet! Though I don't have much... all right, just one gold on the Rake. I mean, Rakish. He is a handsome lizardman, isn't he?" Glenda says.

One gold on Rakish


Male Lizardfolk | Fighter (Champion) 4 | Bite 1/1 | 2W 1/1 | AS 1/1 | HD 1/4 | HP 40/40 | AC 16 | S4, D2, C5, I-1, W2, C-1 | PP 14 | Status: -4 Str | Insp: Used

Rakish walks up and readies himself. His tertiary eyelids blink. One at a time.

He start with dropping his Black Dragon Scale shield. He doesn't use it often, but he likes it nonetheless. He drops his pack and takes off his weapons belt.

Finally, strips off his armor. He has no need of such things, but he wears it because his tough hide often scares his softer companions. So he makes a show of wearing protective gear, but it matters not - his hide is as strong as chainmail and his axes deflect what his scales cannot. AC 16, naked. Although if it's chalk hits that matter, then AC 13.

Walking over to the practice rack, he grabs two chalked axes. Once back, he holds them out wide; the flats of the blades facing his opponent.

A snort puffs out one nostril.

His gravel voice speaks, We will begin when you take your first step.

Two attacks per round. If I were level 5, I'd follow up with, "You will lose when you take your second."

Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17

Round 1
Attack 1: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Attack 2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

Round 2
Attack 1: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Attack 2: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19

Grand Lodge

Map| DCI #6203763429

Anybody standing next to Marten Foss hears him talking to himself, This will be a good test for me girl. Looks at them scales! No, this will be good fer her win or lose...

Vera's confident smile fades when she sees Rakish remove his armor only to get a good look at the scaly hide beneath! The dwarf lass takes a deep breath and readies herself.

The two burst into action, Rakish landing two solid hits! The sheer impact of the blows causing Vera to slip ever-so-slightly causing her axes to go wide, allowing the lizardman to easily step aside!

Rakish feints with an easy swing, causing the dwarf lass to pull back and when she lunges in response, the lizardman catches her hard in the stomach!

Vera looks furious, but you realize in an instant that she is not angry at Rakish, but at her own poor performance. Before she can even sputter a word, Foss is on his feet, A fine lesson, ye have given us, my scaly friend!

He puts his good hand on the lass' shoulder, He was a tough opponent, armored even unarmored. But not every fight ye enter'll be fair. That's yer lesson fer today.

The dwarf kisses the lass on the forehead and turns back to you all, Ye have me thanks, and I'll be owin' ye a favor if'n ye can return me property. Here, he pulls a small book from a hip pouch, I was holdin' this in case one of you came by askin'. It's another book from the same collection as the one was taken. The binding was identical. Thought it might be makin' it easier ta identify me other one by sight.

The book is rather small, unlike the tomes in the Master Scribe's office. It measures approximately a foot long and half as wide, bound in read leather with black lettering on the spine.

It seems about all that Marten Foss has got for you, anything else you'd like to ask or say? Or would you all like to move on?


Female Lightfoot Halfling Wild Magic Sorcerer 1 | AC 12 | Init +2 | HP 8/8 | Pass Perc 11 | Spells 1st: 1/2 DC 13 Atk +5 | Tides 0/1 | ST Str +0 Dex +2 Con +4 Int -1 Wis +1 Cha +5

Glenda has to cover her eyes during the bout, as the towering lizard man makes short work of the dwarf. She is glad that it is quickly over.

"Well, Seraphyna, time to pay up!" she says, trying to collect on her bet.

Glenda nods towards the bard and the tiefling. [b]"One of you might be better with keeping that. My backpack might make it stink of cinnamon and other odd things.

"We'll do our best to get that book back," Glenda says. She bows to the dwarf and is ready to leave.

Grand Lodge

Map| DCI #6203763429

Marten Foss nods appreciatively, Ye'll have all me gratitudes.

--

Off to see Agin Lamarck?


AC: 18 | HP: 7/11 | Init: -1 | Perc: +3 | Spell Slots: 1st: 0/2 | Inspiration: [_] | Saves: S: +2, D: -1, Co: +2, I: +1, W: +5, Ch: +2 | War Preist: 1/3 | Str Dam: 2

Drakr takes the book offered by Foss, inspecting it for a moment before sliding it into his pack carefully. "Right then," he says looking at the group. "Off to the next crime scene?"

On the way over to Agin Lamarck's, Drakr shakes his head. "I hope there's a few more clues at this next place, so far there hasn't been much to go on... Maybe the thief is looking for information on this pool below Valjevo Keep? We could check that out if nothing turns up from the next place..."


Male Lizardfolk | Fighter (Champion) 4 | Bite 1/1 | 2W 1/1 | AS 1/1 | HD 1/4 | HP 40/40 | AC 16 | S4, D2, C5, I-1, W2, C-1 | PP 14 | Status: -4 Str | Insp: Used

Rakish returns the practice axes to the weapons rack and don's his equipment back.

As he does so, he gives his opponent his version of encouragement, You will improve.

Afterwards, he follows the group to the next stop.

51 to 100 of 306 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / DDEX 01-06 The Scroll Thief [5e Adventurers League] All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.