Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Curse of the Crimson Throne by Wicked

Game Master Something Wicked

Oftentimes, to win us to our harm, the instruments of darkness tell us truths, win us with honest trifles, to betray's in deepest consequence.

Korvosa Map
CotCT Roll20 Gameplay
Loot
Harrow Point Uses

Day 7
Korvosa's population: 18,486?


1,601 to 1,650 of 1,776 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>

Female Half-elf HP 52/52| AC 18 | FF 14 | T 14 | Per +12 | F: 7 | R: 8 | W: 6 | Init +5
Skills:
Acro +7 | Climb +8 | Diplo +3 | Lore (Old Korvosa) +4 | Prof (porter) +5 | Sense Mot +5
Brawler 3

Same for me! But I've made a call, if it's cool. ;)

At the Grey Maiden's harsh call, Mouse freezes, her breath caught in her throat. Years of instinct scream to her to run, to get away from the guards that could and would ruin her given half a chance...but I ain't even done nothin' this time! Tell 'em what we're doin' an' they'd prob'ly say thanks! We're workin' to stop someone what's tricked 'alf th' town wit' a false cure, sent by th' Field Marshal 'erself -

And at that, the first bit of ego Mouse had ever managed to conjure up deflates instantaneously. She may have been acting on Cressida's request, but that meant nothing to the Grey Maidens, who acted under a different authority. She and Li hadn't even been sent on an official basis - Cressida had made it clear that their work was outside the Citadel's purview. As far as the Grey Maidens were concerned, she and the hapless Maynard might as well have been the same person split into two, and if they were connected to Cressida, if word got out that the Field Marshal was acting outside the structure of command...

Automatically, Mouse's hands march in step with Li's, shoving Clawson forward into the street. She even hooks a foot in front of his so that he stumbles forward into his cohort, hoping to create even more confusion. Run! Break off if y' gotta - we'll meet back wit' th' others at Vendra's! she hisses to her friend, jerking her head toward where two alleys split and starting into a ground-eating stride. Th' Maidens ain't gon' care 'bout nothin' we got t' say, an' they ain't gon' find us from 'ow those two'd tell it, she adds as a pant starts to set in. No sense bringin' trouble down on th' others.

Theme song!


Male Human(Cheliaxian/Varisian) Barbarian 5/Fighter 1 | HP 63/63 | AC 20, T 11 FF 19 | Fort +8, Ref +3, Will +2 (+4 Superstition) | CMD 22 | Init +2 | Perception +11

Garvid crosses his arms and sits on an empty crate. "If you say so. If that stooge decides to warn her before he came to see what we're about, we might get screwed.", he says, leaning the halberd on the wall next to him. "If you see him eyeing us, nod and look friendly." He looks down at his heavy armour and assorted weaponry. "I'll look non-hostile instead.", he puts a wide grin on his face. "I agree with your plan, too, Lordship.", he nods at the wizard, stretching his legs. "Actually, I think it might be smart if we kept an eye at the rear entrance.", he says in a moment.

"Yazi, could you ask His Holiness to keep an eye and tell us if Vendra decides to give her customers the slip?", he asks, gesturing towards a suspiciously moving pocket with a smile. "I'd hate to have to go on a manhunt..."


Roll20 Link | Harrow Point Uses | Loot | Hero Points

The sound of drawn swords mingles with Maynard and Clawson’s pitiful pleas as they stumble out into the street before the Gray Maidens. ”Apprehend them! The others! That way!” The shouted orders of the Maidens’ commander ring out through the night.

Whatever Maynard’s and Clawson’s fate, it lapses now into utter mystery as Li and Mouse turn and flee into the claustrophobic, tangled alleys of West Dock’s facilities. Here the fisheries, processing plants, storage warehouses, and despondent slums rise up on either side, gargantuan, silent sentinels to the paltry fears of the ants that swarm along the streets. Here there are no street lamps, and the dark of night is as much a blessing as a hinderance as the two women race away. The fearful sound of heavy boots slamming onto the cobblestones surges behind them like a cresting wave of danger. On either side, doorways dark and closed fly by as the women turn left, and left again, then right, never stopping to think, or even speak, or even breathe. Some of the doors are marked with hateful red X’s, their crimson color nearly matching that of the Gray Maidens themselves, the Queen’s color, the color of the Throne.

The color of death.

GM:

Maidens: 1d2 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0

Together, Li and Mouse emerge from an alley out onto a familiar site. The forlorn wreckage of what might have been a home, little more than a hovel, looms before them. The structure is as unremarkable as it is destitute, but a powerful feeling of deja vu strikes them both. This is Zellara’s home, the site of their first meeting, their first harrow reading.

Without speaking, yet somehow understanding, both duck inside, crouching low behind the splintered boards that compose the structure’s walls. In the light of day, no doubt this building would prove useless, but now, at night, well…

Heavy footfalls approach, speeding down an alley adjacent to the one from which Li and Mouse emerged. The pursuer pauses a moment, her labored breathing only feet away. Her regal plume is visible through a crack in the wall. The moment passes, finally, and the Maiden heads west, back down the alley and away from the main street.

It seems the coast is clear.

Tag Li and Mouse.


Female Human Unchained Rogue/6 HP 53/53; AC 20 T 14 FF16; Fort+4 Ref+9/11 Will+4; Init+4; Perception+11/14, Sense Motive +11

Once it seems like their pursuers are gone, Li collapses on her back on the floor and gasps for breath. Keeping her voice barely above a whisper, she asks, "Ya be thinkin' that they be able ta describe any o' us ta tha Grey Maidens?" Li racks her brain, trying to recall their conversations with Maynard and Clawson. "Did we be usin' any o' our names? Although we be mentionin' tha Field Marshal and there be bein' six o' us, we may be easy ta find. We got ta be warnin' tha others. But it still be risky goin' ta Vendra's." Then she says with the smallest amount of hope, "Mebbe once they be mentionin' the holy weasel, tha Maidens be dismissin' what they be sayin' as crazy?"

It is in that moment Li realizes much has changed in the last little while. Possible trouble with the authorities was never a concern of hers before because she was good at hiding. But now her actions didn't just affect her, they affected five other people - not to mention possibly Cal's household as well. She just hopes that she hasn't inadvertently brought trouble to any of the others by acting on her instinct to avoid and run.

Not really sure why she raises her voice slightly and addresses the room, even though there's a healthy dose of doubt in it. "Zellara, if'n ya still be bein' here at all, we could be usin' yer help."


Female Half-elf HP 52/52| AC 18 | FF 14 | T 14 | Per +12 | F: 7 | R: 8 | W: 6 | Init +5
Skills:
Acro +7 | Climb +8 | Diplo +3 | Lore (Old Korvosa) +4 | Prof (porter) +5 | Sense Mot +5
Brawler 3

Mouse tries to calm her ragged breathing as she collapses next to Li, but the air still rips its way in and out with jagged shoves. At Li's comment, she swears in a low hiss. I di'n't think 'bout them idjits bein' able t' send Maidens t' Vendra's! I jus' 'ope the others've got th' sense t' keep themselves out o' sigh'... She glances over at her friend, worry etched into her features. I di'n't know what t' do. They wasn't gon' buy why we was out, an' I ain't no good at tellin' tales...seems t' me we 'ad t' run, but runnin' wit' Vendra's flunkies wasn't gon' be no good either... I think them not buyin' Maynard an' Clawson's story's 'bout th' best shot we got...

Heavily she sighs, her breathing finally coming under control. We'll 'ave t' go back t' Vendra's. Ain't no other way t' tell th' others wha's 'appened. I don' even think we'd fin' someone willin' t' carry a message, not this late wit' th' Maidens 'round. But we'll 'ave t' stay out o' sigh' - 'f we git caugh' by them Maidens agin, we're righ' finished... Massaging at her calf to try and work some of the fatigue out, she rises to her knees, peeking outward to check for onlookers. Li ain't 'alf wrong, Miz Zellara...'f y' be able t' 'ide th' others, carry word f'r us, anythin' at all...


Female Shoanti Shaman 6 (Lore) HP: 41/43 | AC 17/17/16 | F+5 R+5 W+10 | Per +12 Init +7

The radiant glow now extinguished, it is a simple matter for Slinky to slither into the alley in order to keep watch on Vendra's rear entrance, whiskers twitching disconsolately at its removal from the spotlight.

Slinky stealth: 1d20 + 18 ⇒ (11) + 18 = 29

"I just hope the girls are alright", Yaziyah sighs, perched on a crate with her knees drawn up to her chin, her long braid almost brushing the ground.


NG Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (chirugeon) 6 CMB +4, CMD 16 | Fort. +8, Ref. +7, Will +4 | Init. +2 | Perc. +10, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 30ft |

At Garvid's comment about looking non-threatening', Pietro has a disturbing thought. "Do I look hostile to you? I have worked on my doctor personna for many years. A doctor needs to be welcoming, honest, trustworthy...."

He looked at himself, running around in the middle of the night, with people who bore weapons out in the open. "Am I suddenly hostile?"


Female Human Unchained Rogue/6 HP 53/53; AC 20 T 14 FF16; Fort+4 Ref+9/11 Will+4; Init+4; Perception+11/14, Sense Motive +11

Even though Li also worries about the fall-out from their actions, she gives Mouse a grin. "I didn't be knowin' what ta do neith'r. Mebbe I should be gettin' Cal ta be givin' me some lessons in story tellin'." She takes another gulp of air, "It be good that we be thinkin' tha same. But fer tha future, I always be thinkin' that runnin' be best. All I be knowin' was that tha Grey Maidens wouldn't be wantin' ta be listenin' ta a couple o' empties about other empties breakin' tha law without proof. 'Specially if'n Vendra be all proper n' such."

Li starts to get to her feet. "Ya be right. We can't be stayin' here all night. Not sure they be gettin' a good look at us. If'n we be quiet and careful-like, we c'n be makin' our way ta warn tha others. Mebbe bein' question'd by tha Maidens will be bein' enough ta make Vendra rethink her swindlin'."


Roll20 Link | Harrow Point Uses | Loot | Hero Points

Li, Mouse:

A swift breeze carries through the street, extinguishing nearly every streetlamp, save those running south, adjacent to the River. Actions?

As the minutes tick on, Garvid, Pietro, Talfryn, and Yazi grow ever more anxious as they hold their secret vigil in the alley near Lavender. Then, Yazi’s head jerks up, as though some noise has set her on alert. It is the sound of coins falling into a hand, the sound of beaded curtains pushed aside, and it is accompanied by the smoky fragrance of jasmine incense. A sigh escapes her lips as her hand reaches involuntarily for her pack, and from it she withdraws Zellara’s harrow deck.

The cards fly out of her hand the moment they are free, and land at her feet in a neat semi-circular spread, their faces turned down. One card from the bunch floats up above the others, turning in the air before falling back face-up to reveal its image.

It is The Trumpet, inverted such that it is upside-down.

Pietro, Yazi:

Far away, you'd swear you can hear the sound of plate boots marching across cobblestones.

Actions?

GM:

Garvid Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (3) + 10 = 13
Pietro Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
Talfryn Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Yaziyah Perception: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19


Male Human HP 50/50 | AC 17/ FF 11/ T 17 | Per +6 | F: 5/ R: 5/ W: 7 | Init +1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Talfryn stares in confusion and curiosity at the floating card, and turns to Yazi, eyebrows raised.


Female Human Unchained Rogue/6 HP 53/53; AC 20 T 14 FF16; Fort+4 Ref+9/11 Will+4; Init+4; Perception+11/14, Sense Motive +11

Li,Mouse:
As much as Li prefers to hide in darkness, the lit path towards the river appears orchestrated for them by Zellara. "It be seemin' like Miss Zellara be wantin' us ta go thatta way. We c'n still be stickin' ta tha shadows but I be guessin' we should be goin' thatta way."


NG Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (chirugeon) 6 CMB +4, CMD 16 | Fort. +8, Ref. +7, Will +4 | Init. +2 | Perc. +10, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 30ft |
Lord Talfryn Blackoak wrote:
Talfryn stares in confusion and curiosity at the floating card, and turns to Yazi, eyebrows raised.

Curious about what the card meant, the doctor was more concerned with the boots heard in the distance.

"You hear that? Who else could be at this hour?"


Female Half-elf HP 52/52| AC 18 | FF 14 | T 14 | Per +12 | F: 7 | R: 8 | W: 6 | Init +5
Skills:
Acro +7 | Climb +8 | Diplo +3 | Lore (Old Korvosa) +4 | Prof (porter) +5 | Sense Mot +5
Brawler 3

Li & Mouse:
'S too spooky t' be 'appenstance, an' I ain't gon' turn down whatever 'elp we c'n git, Mouse agrees, peeking over the ruined wall one more time to make sure the coast is clear. Th' lights migh' even make us 'arder t' see - shadows're 'arder t' see in when 's brigh' nearby than when there's dark all 'round. C'mon, le's go, 'afore any o' them Maidens decides t' double back.

To make things easy, I'll take 10 on Stealth as we go for a 19.


Male Human(Cheliaxian/Varisian) Barbarian 5/Fighter 1 | HP 63/63 | AC 20, T 11 FF 19 | Fort +8, Ref +3, Will +2 (+4 Superstition) | CMD 22 | Init +2 | Perception +11
Dr. Pietro Bartori wrote:
"Am I suddenly hostile?"

Garvid looks at the young doctor, glancing over his boyish look. "Not unless vampires are involved, Doc.", he grins after a moment.

As Yazi reaches into her backpack, he raises a suspicious eyebrow as the deck is pulled out. Watching the cards reveal themselves, he stands up slowly, a look of annoyance on his face. "Anyone got the slightest amount of clue what that's supposed to mean?", he looks at the trumpeteer, before looking once more at Pietro. "I don't hear nothing.", he says, his halberd finding itself in his hands as he looks around.


Female Shoanti Shaman 6 (Lore) HP: 41/43 | AC 17/17/16 | F+5 R+5 W+10 | Per +12 Init +7

"I hear it." Quickly scooping out the cards, Yaziyah gestures the others to be quiet and move out of sight of any eventual patrols. She cannot help but think about the card that was presented to them and what could it mean. A warning about the patrol that they were about to encounter? That seemed too simple and straightforward, the answer was likely far more obscure than that.

Stealth: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20


Roll20 Link | Harrow Point Uses | Loot | Hero Points

Li and Mouse
Whoosh.

Just as you come near the edge of the light cast by the lamppost, its flame is extinguished by a gust of air, though the flame of the next nearest lamplight remains. Curious, you step slowly through the shadowed street toward that light. It too, seems to blow itself out as you come nearer. Flipping around, you could swear that the streetlamps from where you’ve come are now lit, where just a moment ago...

You follow the the trail of lights, with consistent results. Always, approaching the nearby lamp causes it to to plunge into darkness, leaving a trail of lights leading further south. The trail through which you’re lead isn’t a straight path. Sometimes the lights lead inland for a block, sometimes leading you back toward the piers. But it’s easy to discern that, though you weave in and out through the derelict buildings of the docks, you are being led south. And before long, the strange and inexplicable tour ends, and the lamplights no longer guide you, but rather burn constant through their night vigil. But now you are quite familiar with where you are, for before you looms the familiar Citadel Volshyenek, headquarters of the Guard.

At Lavender
The sound of marching boots draws nearer, coming from the eastern slopes that lead down into Midland. The familiar crimson plumes and steel cuirassier’s plate distinctive of the Gray Maidens appear in the night, as a small battalion of about a dozen soldiers march their way up the hill, straight for Lavender. They make no attempt at subtlety, and so the guard standing at the front of the shop is quick to note their approach. Glancing both ways down the street, he slips into the alley adjacent to the shop and disappears.

From your vantage point several blocks away, it is difficult to see or hear exactly what is said, but the commander of the Maidens barks a few commands, then approaches those Korvosans camped outside the shop, pointing toward the shop and nodding her head. After a moment, she nods to her subordinates, several of whom quickly step into the alley where the guard disappeared. The commander knocks forcefully on the door of the shop, announcing her presence, but after a long moment without any response she also steps into the alley.


Male Human(Cheliaxian/Varisian) Barbarian 5/Fighter 1 | HP 63/63 | AC 20, T 11 FF 19 | Fort +8, Ref +3, Will +2 (+4 Superstition) | CMD 22 | Init +2 | Perception +11

Seeing the Maidens march to the front gate, Garvid grits his teeth. "Well, f@!%. No sense trying to go through there any more.", he announces after the leader runs in the alley. "Hm...", he ponders for a second. "Let me think...", he says, trying his best to recall the sewers and sewer access of the city.

Profession(Guard) or Knowledge(Local): 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24 +11 if Knowledge Garvid is trying to think of the closest entrance to the party.

"Having sewer access would be pretty damn important for an alchemist, wouldn't it, Doc?", he says with a smile on his face. "Vendra might be trying to make her escape from there. I doubt the Maidens would be as familiar with them as me. Or someone running a shady business.", he remarks, leading the party towards the nearest entrance. If there is one. It's a fancy neighbourhood.


NG Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (chirugeon) 6 CMB +4, CMD 16 | Fort. +8, Ref. +7, Will +4 | Init. +2 | Perc. +10, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 30ft |

"Er... I think it's time for us to go. I'm sure no one wants to explain to the Grey Maidens what we are doing here."

He turned to Garvid, "Any crook would benefit from an escape route. And your assessment is right on, a sewer would fit the definition nicely. Let's look for one and see if we can get in it without being noticed by the Maidens."


Female Human Unchained Rogue/6 HP 53/53; AC 20 T 14 FF16; Fort+4 Ref+9/11 Will+4; Init+4; Perception+11/14, Sense Motive +11

Li takes in the view of the Citadel, glad that Mouse is with her and that she's not alone. The rogue remembers how easy it had been to get on a ship and leave Korvosa. If she had been alone, it would have been a tempting solution should she be identified by the Maidens. The images of Trinia's wanted posters flashed through her mind and she hopes that the same wouldn't be happening for either of them.

"I be guessin' that Miss Zellara be wantin' us ta seek out tha Field Marshal and be givin' her a heads up 'bout what be happenin' tonight. I don't be knowin' what ta be hopin' fer, guards on duty that don't be knowin' us or ones that do."

Li is tempted to ask for Grau at the Citadel rather than Cressida when they get there. That way connections aren't readily made should this situation be pursued by the Maidens and not dismissed as the ramblings of a couple dock workers. She voices this to Mouse, "Should we be askin' ta see Cressida or mebbe ask fer someone else an' then be gettin' them ta take us ta her? Whatcha be thinkin'?"


Roll20 Link | Harrow Point Uses | Loot | Hero Points

Garvid, Pietro, Talfryn, and Yazi sneak down the alley, attempting to discern the location to Vendra's quarters from below-ground. Just as the circle around toward the back alley, however, they spot, up ahead, a young woman wearing a blue headband scaling a fire escape up toward a building's roof. She scurries up over the top then dares to glance behind her. Vendra Loaggri, the scheming brain behind Lavender's Luxurient Liniment, catches sight of you down in the alley below. Cursing under her breath, she breaks into a run across the rooftop.

Here we will again be utilizing the Chase Rules! A link to the chase "map" is now in my tagline!

Chase Rules:

At the start of the chase, each PC and Vendra makes an Initiative check to determine the order in which they move. When a character moves, he decides if he wants to attempt to move one, two, or three cards. A character can move one card as a move-equivalent action (scrambling under laundry lines and across open rooftops) automatically, or he can attempt to move two or three cards in his turn by taking dangerous shortcuts as a full-round action (leaping from one rooftop to the next, clambering up a drainpipe, swinging along a line, or balancing along a narrow walkway, for example). If a character wants to move two cards, he must select one of the two skill checks from the card he starts his turn on to make in order to move two cards. If a character wants to move three cards, he must make both of the current card’s skill checks to progress. If a character fails any of these checks by 5 or less, he only moves one card forward. If a character fails any of these checks by more than 5, he cannot move at all that turn, and if he fails two checks by more than 5, he falls 1d4×10 feet to the street below, taking the appropriate amount of falling damage.

A fallen character has two choices—he can either make a DC 15 Climb check on his turn to return to the card from which he fell, or he can wind his way through alleys and over fences to continue the chase by making a DC 15 Strength or Dexterity check (his choice) to move one card—a fallen character cannot choose to attempt to move two or three cards until he climbs back up into the Shingles.

A character can also choose to make a ranged attack or cast a spell during his turn. If the action is a standard or move-equivalent action, he can still chose to move forward one card. If the action is a full-round action, he can’t move at all. For purposes of determining range, it’s easiest to assume that each card represents a distance of 30 feet. Although the Shingles could provide plenty of cover, Vendra herself is too panicked to look for cover or hide, so you don’t need to worry about that during ranged combat here.

While a character’s speed doesn’t directly affect how far he moves during the chase, it does affect how quickly he navigates obstacles. For each 10 feet slower than speed 30 a character moves, he suffers a cumulative –2 penalty on any skill check made to navigate these obstacles. Likewise, for every 10 feet faster than speed 30 he moves, he gains a +2 bonus on these checks.

Musical Accompaniment!

Round 1 Yazi is up first. Vendra is currently two cards (60ft) ahead. Once Yazi takes her action, Vendra will take her turn, then Talfryn, Pietro and Garvid. You needn't worry about the "climb" check to scale up to the roof--it's incorporated into the first check of the chase map. Mouse and Li aren't present, but if the chase goes on long enough they may find themselves pulled in! If you're unfamiliar with Chases or you have more questions, post them over in discussion. Go!

_____________

Initiative
Yazi
Vendra
Talfryn
Pietro
Garvid

GM:

Garvid initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (3) + 2 = 5
Pietro initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12
Talfryn initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 = 15
Yaziyah initiative: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25
Vendra initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Of course, this is all assuming you give chase...


Female Shoanti Shaman 6 (Lore) HP: 41/43 | AC 17/17/16 | F+5 R+5 W+10 | Per +12 Init +7

Leaning against a stack of crates, Yaziyah is the first to spot the fleeing woman and she hisses to attract the others' attention. She clambers up the crates and onto the roof before she can remember that her age is not exactly appropriate for rooftop chases in the dark. But she is quite angry by now with this swindler, this unscrupulous crook exploiting the misery of desperate people.

She has no illusions that in a close fight, the younger (and presumably fitter) woman would defeat her handily, so she resorts to dirty tricks. "It's way past bedtime, young miss, don't you think?"

Slumber on Vendra, DC 16 Will or fall asleep for 5 rounds.


Female Half-elf HP 52/52| AC 18 | FF 14 | T 14 | Per +12 | F: 7 | R: 8 | W: 6 | Init +5
Skills:
Acro +7 | Climb +8 | Diplo +3 | Lore (Old Korvosa) +4 | Prof (porter) +5 | Sense Mot +5
Brawler 3

For a moment, Mouse ponders Li's question. Jus' 'bout any way o' gettin' word t' Cressida could go wrong some'ow, she finally murmurs. Messenger c'd go an' snitch, somethin' written c'd git taken...but y' could be righ'. Leastways 's a bit o' somethin' t' keep Cressida out o' trouble. I'd take a page out o' Mister Cal's book an' invite 'er round t' th' manor 'ouse, 'cept I'm thinkin' we ain't gon' wanna wait 'round that long. 'Less...what'f we c'd send word to 'er disguised as somethin' else? Somethin' only she'd recognize for what it is?

We preten' like we're messengers f'r Mister Cal, bringin' 'er a message. Ask t' be shown to 'er t' give it in person, or write it down if they won' let us see 'er. Somethin' like... Carefully she pieces together her words, Cal and Talfryn's speech patterns tumbling through her mind. "M'lord Fordyce thanks y' f'r suggestin' that show in th' 'Eights. Th' skeptical" - no, spec-..."spectacle was wondrous an' th' stage convincin', but when 'e saw th' stage 'ands movin' in back, th' tricks was all too clear, 'e says. Said 'twas like they was tryin' t' pass off dirty water f'r fine wine. But 'e wanted me t' pass 'long tha' th' Fordyce estate's always open, should madam wish t' ear more 'bout th' show, an' that 'e's always lookin' f'r more shows t' take in." That work? Soun' 'nough like 'im? she finishes worriedly.

Could I take 20 on Bluff to get the message right for 19, or will I need to rely on a dice roll?

Bluff if needed: 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (13) - 1 = 12


Female Human Unchained Rogue/6 HP 53/53; AC 20 T 14 FF16; Fort+4 Ref+9/11 Will+4; Init+4; Perception+11/14, Sense Motive +11

"Messengers may be workin' ta get in. I could also be askin' after Grau. I be doin' that before an' it may not bein' too odd. Although I hadn't be comin' this late before but I be doubtin' tha other guards be questionin'...but then mebbe I should be goin' alone." Li is very glad that the lighting was dim because she could feel her cheeks redden slightly at thinking about her childhood friend.


Female Half-elf HP 52/52| AC 18 | FF 14 | T 14 | Per +12 | F: 7 | R: 8 | W: 6 | Init +5
Skills:
Acro +7 | Climb +8 | Diplo +3 | Lore (Old Korvosa) +4 | Prof (porter) +5 | Sense Mot +5
Brawler 3

That's perfect! If y' been 'ere afore, that'll be way better 'n any codes I c'n come up wit'. Go f'r it - I ain't bothered stayin' out 'ere. 'S jus' too bad I ain't able t' go invisible or somethin' an' join ya wit'out drawin' more attention.


Roll20 Link | Harrow Point Uses | Loot | Hero Points

Citadel Volshyenek
"Funny'n all, you appearin' like this," yawns Carlin, clearly less than excited to be working the third shift. A cup of strong tea sits beside him, so dark that, despite only containing a sip or two, the bottom of the cup is completely obscured. "Field Marshal herself just appeared from her quarters, talkin' 'bout hearin' trumpet horns blastin' her awake. Told her she been workin' too hard, hearin' things. At any rate, she's in her office. Let's see if she'll have ya." Carlin lifts his ample weight from the creaking chair and shuffles down the hall, a lantern in hand, and knocks on Cressida's office door. The thick wooden door is ajar, and the lamplight spilling from within suggests that Cressida is, indeed, at work. "Yes, of course, show them in." Cressida's sleep-choked voice matches her appearance. Though her hair is neatly pulled back, she appears exhausted.

"Li and Mouse," she offers, standing quickly then reclaiming her seat. "I should know better than to think good thoughts when you show up at this time of day. What's happened? Are the others alright?"

Actions?

Lavender
With an irritated hrrmph Yazi grabs hold of a nearby fire escape and, with surprising ease, hefts herself up just to the rooftop. On the adjacent roof, about 30 feet away, she spots Vendra sprinting away. With a slight smirk, she waves her hand and utters a word, a whisper. The breath catches the breeze and flutters across the rooftop, riding the shadows like an ocean current as it assumes the shape of a night-moth. It reaches Vendra in an instant, landing on her shoulder and crawling into her ear.

Instantly, the young woman tumbles over, deep in sleep. (failed save v. slumber!) Actions?

GM:

Vendra Will DC 16: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (9) + 6 = 15 fail!


NG Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (chirugeon) 6 CMB +4, CMD 16 | Fort. +8, Ref. +7, Will +4 | Init. +2 | Perc. +10, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 30ft |

Pietro was impressed by Yazi's resources, "Neat trick. Could come really handy in boring parties."

He then looked at Garvid, "C'mon big guy, time to flex your muscles to make sure our entrepreneur doesn't get a way."

Once under Garvid's control, "So, where are you going so fast? Are you worried about the Grey Maidens or the law in general?"


Female Human Unchained Rogue/6 HP 53/53; AC 20 T 14 FF16; Fort+4 Ref+9/11 Will+4; Init+4; Perception+11/14, Sense Motive +11

Li reminds herself to thank Zellara later for guiding them and arranging things for them in order to avoid suspicious eyes.

"I be apologizin' fer tha trumpets. I think that may have been done ta be helpin' us. But that be makin' no mind right now. Tha important thing be that we may have been discover'd by tha Maidens while investigatin' tha Lavender. We be wantin' ta warn ya 'cause yer name may come up. We were bringin' a couple dock workers back here ta ya ta speak ta what Vendra be doin' - which be sellin' river water as her miracle cure - but we be heard by a Maiden patrol 'cause one o' tha eejits call'd out an' they be hearin'. We left 'em ta tha Maidens an' be runnin'. They don't be knowin' our names but they be knowin' we were bringin' 'em ta ya. An' even them should be good enough at countin' so they may be tellin' tha Maidens there be six o' us." Li's cheeks redden at their failure. "I be real sorry fer messin' this up fer ya. We be knowin' that Vendra be swindlin' but now we don't be havin' any proof."

Then the rogue looks nervous. "I be hopin' tha others be safe. They be goin' back ta tha Lavender ta be keepin' an eye on Vendra. If'n they be stayin' hidden then they should be alright."


Male Human(Cheliaxian/Varisian) Barbarian 5/Fighter 1 | HP 63/63 | AC 20, T 11 FF 19 | Fort +8, Ref +3, Will +2 (+4 Superstition) | CMD 22 | Init +2 | Perception +11

Garvid leaps to his feet in pursuit, just to see Vendra tumbling over, and Yazi's satisfied smile. He makes his way up the building as quick as he can, and throws his manacles around Vendra's ankles. Shouldering the woman on his shoulder, he grunts, staring at the rooftops. "I'd say we leg it as quickly as we can. No sense rubbing this into the Maidens' faces.", he chuckles, as Vendra shuffles on his shoulder. He turns to Yazi, clenching his armoured fist. "How long until I have to send her to sleep the old fashioned way?", he asks, preparing to jump over to the next rooftop.

I suggest Talfryn suggests casting Haste, if he has it prepared, to make a swift getaway, until Vendra wakes up. After that, if he has Haste, Garvid can probably knock her out in a round, and we keep running. I suggest we go to Zellara's house or Girrigz's den (which we know are both close and empty), for questioning, and someone can inform the Marshall that we have her in custody.


Female Half-elf HP 52/52| AC 18 | FF 14 | T 14 | Per +12 | F: 7 | R: 8 | W: 6 | Init +5
Skills:
Acro +7 | Climb +8 | Diplo +3 | Lore (Old Korvosa) +4 | Prof (porter) +5 | Sense Mot +5
Brawler 3

Mouse lets Li finish her explanation, a look of contrition on her plain features. Like Li said, 'm real sorry if we done messed things up for ya in this. But there weren't much choice we 'ad...'twas jus' me an' Li takin' em, an neither o' us two was gon' be able t' 'splain what was goin' on. Bes' we c'n 'ope for's they was so turned 'round they can't tell right what we looked like. Mebbe we ought to've knocked 'em out 'afore we brung 'em in - but they'd turned 'emselves over peace-like... Embarrassedly she lapses into silence. But we do at leas' know 'ow she was trickin' everyone...an' we 'eard tha' from them dock workers our own selves, they come righ' out an' said it.


Roll20 Link | Harrow Point Uses | Loot | Hero Points

Citadel Volshyenek

Cressida raises a hand to cut you off. "No, none of that. No apologizing. You haven't done anything wrong. There was no way for you to know you'd be intercepted by the Queen's for--" Her sentence is cut off by a wracking cough. She turns her head and hacks into her elbow, looking self-conscious for just a moment before clearing her throat and adopting her usual authoritative demeanor.

"...the Queen's forces. The story is despicable, there can be no doubt, but such an accusation must be verified before any harm should come to the proprietor. If the Maidens are involved, I'm sure...I hope they'll afford her every right owing to a citizen of Korvosa. Still, we may reach her first. You two should stay here, or else promise me you'll return to Fordyce Manor. Will you? Carlin!"

Carlin's head appears through the doorway in an instant. "Yes, Field Marshal?" In the lamplight you'd swear Cressida smirks. "Assemble a section. We're going shopping for perfume." Actions?

With Vendra
Talfryn sets an arcane fire beneath your heels, allowing you to race through the darkness with uncanny speed, down into the sewers of Midland and, with only a little trouble, arrive at the den of the wererats. The fortress is a shambles, as you left it, though the bodies of the wererats have disappeared. Perhaps they were taken off by their brethren, or perhaps eaten by the scavengers that lurk nearby.

Vendra rouses with a start, gasping with fear and jerking back, though she takes in her circumstances quickly. She looks angry, as though she would say something hostile, but her face transforms instantly into a picture of concern. "Oh, but it's you again! Lord Tackfloat! Thank you, you've saved me from the clutches of those awful Gray Maidens!" She clinks her manacles gently, as though to suggest her saving isn't quite complete. Out of time but wanted to get a post in! Pietro's previous question is noted for my next post. Actions?


Male Human(Cheliaxian/Varisian) Barbarian 5/Fighter 1 | HP 63/63 | AC 20, T 11 FF 19 | Fort +8, Ref +3, Will +2 (+4 Superstition) | CMD 22 | Init +2 | Perception +11

Just my luck checking the game before bed...

Garvid throws an amused glance at Talfryn. "Let's hope that doesn't stick, your Lordship.", he mentions with an honest smile towards the noble. He turns to Vendra, crossing his arms. Alright. I guess I'll be good guard.

He points towards the manacles. "We've been talking with your people, Unibrow and Pearshape.", he says in a level voice, lowering his brow. "And we also caught them in the act of filling a barrel with river water, which as they unanimously admitted, was going into your plague cure." He crosses his arms, and cracks his knuckles. "We've got here a skilled alchemist, a master of the arcane, and..." What is she, actually?, he throws a glance at Yazi with some confusion. "someone who's skills you've personally experienced.", he continues staring straight into the woman's eyes.

"We think there's something very shifty going on with that elixir of yours. We're just a band of...", he looks around. "concerned citizens of Korvosa, and we'd like a big, long, honest explanation as to what your little stint is on about. I'd prefer it with small words, myself." He raises a finger in the air to stop Vendra's answer. "I wouldn't say I'm the biggest fan of the Gray Maidens, either, as you can imagine. In my opinion, they can all go f!*@ themselves with a rusty sword."

He looks around the damp, moldy undergrounds. "But, they're the law, and we're upstanding citizens, as we already established. So if you don't convince us otherwise, we might have to turn you in to the noble defenders of the throne"., utter disgust dripping from his last words.

He reaches over to unlock the manacles. "Oh, I almost forgot. There's wererats down here. You decide to take your chances and run, I suggest you try to get them to kill you. Less painful than the alternative.", he mentions as if recommending a pub to someone, as he stands behind Vendra, leaning on his halberd, as he nods at Yazi, Pietro and Talfryn to start asking questions. I wish I could just drag her in and let the Guard take care of the questioning... Threatening people with death by wererat is a new low. Not that she doesn't deserve worse..., he thinks, frowning at nothing in particular and everything in general.

Diplomacy aid: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14


Female Half-elf HP 52/52| AC 18 | FF 14 | T 14 | Per +12 | F: 7 | R: 8 | W: 6 | Init +5
Skills:
Acro +7 | Climb +8 | Diplo +3 | Lore (Old Korvosa) +4 | Prof (porter) +5 | Sense Mot +5
Brawler 3

Wit' th' Maidens set on th' lookout f'r two women like us, I think we oughta stay 'ere f'r a bit, if y'r offerin', Mouse answers with a bashful half-smile. I ain't wantin' t' leave the others worryin', but if y're goin' t' Vendra's they'll 'opefully fin' y' there anyhow. If y' do fin' 'em, let 'em know we're put up safe. We'll 'ead back f'r th' manor in th' mornin when we ain't like t' draw as much 'tention. Soun' like a plan, Li? I ain't wanna 'ave t' count on another dose o' luck. She glances worriedly as the Field Marshal loudly attempts to clear her throat. An'...if y' come 'cross th' others, 'ave Miz Yazi or Mister Pietro take a look at ya. You gettin' sick tryin' t' take care o' everyone ain't gon' do no one no good.


Female Human Unchained Rogue/6 HP 53/53; AC 20 T 14 FF16; Fort+4 Ref+9/11 Will+4; Init+4; Perception+11/14, Sense Motive +11

Li nods at Mouse's suggestion. "I don't be wantin' ta be leadin' anyone back ta Cal's. I definitely don't be wantin' ta be leadin' any Maidens back ta Cal's. If'n we c'n be stayin' here 'til mornin' then that be bein' tha best."

The rogue's brow furrows in concern for Cressida. "I be fightin' off tha blood veil not so long ago. If'n that's what be goin' on wit' ya then ya should be gettin' help 'fore it be gettin' worse. 'Cause it will be gettin' worse."


Female Shoanti Shaman 6 (Lore) HP: 41/43 | AC 17/17/16 | F+5 R+5 W+10 | Per +12 Init +7

Yaziyah looks curiously at Garvid, wondering if he is doing one of those good guard/bad guard routines that she'd heard about. And if so, which was he...? So far his threats had been quite mild, so maybe the good one? In that case, who would be the bad one? If Vendra wasn't intimidated by the looming ex-guardsman, being scolded by a frail old woman would hardly do the trick, now. So she sweetens her voice and her features, despite the burning desire of shaking the woman until all her teeth rattled out of her head, together with her confession.

"That's right, dearie, you can see that all effort has been made to not allow you to come to harm." She smiles toothily. "So we are not your enemies. We just want to know what is going on, the better to protect you from any hypothetical mobs of enraged customers."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 11 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 11 + 2 = 25


NG Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (chirugeon) 6 CMB +4, CMD 16 | Fort. +8, Ref. +7, Will +4 | Init. +2 | Perc. +10, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 30ft |

Pietro stands aside impatiently as this swindler is allowed a respite and will probably be given an easy way out. The doctor is outraged how someone could play on the hopes of desperate people just to make money.

He thought for a moment, At least my clients aren't dying and they can afford my rejuvenation treatments.

--------
waiting on her reaction to Garvid's 'proposal'


Roll20 Link | Harrow Point Uses | Loot | Hero Points

Citadel Volshyenek

Li wrote:
"I be fightin' off tha blood veil not so long ago. If'n that's what be goin' on wit' ya then ya should be gettin' help 'fore it be gettin' worse. 'Cause it will be gettin' worse."

"I'm sure it's nothing, only dust in the air," Cressida counters. "There are plenty more, sicker and more desperate then me, for the healers and physicians to deal with just now. Don't you worry, I'll see a physician if I need to."

Mouse wrote:
"Wit' th' Maidens set on th' lookout f'r two women like us, I think we oughta stay 'ere f'r a bit, if y'r offerin'."

"Good." Cressida says, pleased. "Remain here for a moment." She has a few words more with Carlin before quickly exiting her office, no doubt seeing to her impending mission. Not long after, a fresh-faced recruit, a plain looking woman barely out of her teens, arrives to see you to your sleeping quarters.

"'Lo. I'm Nea. You'll be sleepin' in the barracks, 'o course, hope ya don't mind. We keep communal sleeping quarters but, lucky for you, there's a nearly empty women's room upstairs." She leads you down the hall, then turns sharply to the right where a nearly hidden staircase cuts up at a steep angle. "Female enlistment's seen a drop lately," Nea continues as she climbs. "The military-minded girls done had their noggin's filled with notions about servin' as a Queen's Maiden, like Sabina Merrin herself! Hells, even I was tempted but, well..." She glances down at her stocky physique. "They say only beautiful girls ever get a chance. Cream of the crop, ya know? It's alright, o' course, servin' in the Guard's a higher honor, anyway." Her last statement isn't meant to be an argument or justification--it's presented as a simple fact. "Come now, here we go. Make yourselves comfortable. Someone will fetch you for grub in a while."

With Vendra

Vendra's pretty brown eyes grow wide with fear and she draws herself in close, like a little girl hiding under blankets. For a split second, she's nearly the spitting image of little Brienna Soldado. "N-no sir, please! You've got the wrong of it! The river water's only used as a cooling agent! The perfumes and elixers, they're brought to boil, and then the pots are dipped in the river water to accelerate their cooling. It's necessary to stabilize the colloid. Otherwise it won't settle and can't be filtered properly. And we don't always use river water. Sometimes we'll use rain water, if we can find it! Never does a drop actually go into the liniment!"

"And, well, maybe the liniment isn't a cure for blood veil, but it certainly does help the sick feel better. It has a unique cooling sensation and, when applied to the brow, relieves some of the more superficial symptoms, like fever and pain of the head."

She squares her jaw. "And say what you will about my advertising methods, but I'm selling a product to the people of this city that is far more valuable than the paltry sum I charge for it. It's not Lavender's Luxurient Liniment that people are so desperate for, it's hope! Hope. In a little bottle. Hope to desperate mothers and weary fathers, and to sickly children." Her eyes shine with moisture. "We're all doomed to rot to death in this accursed city. Am I such a villain for offering a salve against it? Do I deserve death by wererat?" Her lower lip trembles despite her steely resolve.

Sense Motive, anyone? Actions?

GM:

Bluff: 1d20 + 16 ⇒ (14) + 16 = 30


Female Shoanti Shaman 6 (Lore) HP: 41/43 | AC 17/17/16 | F+5 R+5 W+10 | Per +12 Init +7

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18

The Shoanti woman hesitates, then gestures at Pietro. "Is that so? Well, the good doctor here should have no trouble verifying that, no? And it's still wrong to advertise it as a cure when, as you yourself said, it is not."


Female Human Unchained Rogue/6 HP 53/53; AC 20 T 14 FF16; Fort+4 Ref+9/11 Will+4; Init+4; Perception+11/14, Sense Motive +11

Li gives Nea a small smile. "I be Li. Thanks fer showin' us up. I be missin' tha stairs if'n I had ta be findin' it meself.". At Nea's comment about tha Maidens, Li stifles a snort. "Ya be right lucky ta be servin' under tha Field Marshal. She be a mighty fine leader and I be takin' her over tha Maidens any day. Besides, ya learn a lot more by goin' unnoticed than ya do paradin' around an' makin' people all nervous. At least that be my experience.". The rogue flops down on one of the beds, "Are ya stayin' in here also?"


Female Half-elf HP 52/52| AC 18 | FF 14 | T 14 | Per +12 | F: 7 | R: 8 | W: 6 | Init +5
Skills:
Acro +7 | Climb +8 | Diplo +3 | Lore (Old Korvosa) +4 | Prof (porter) +5 | Sense Mot +5
Brawler 3

Thanks, Miz Cressida, ma'am, Mouse finishes with a nod as Cressida goes to leave. When Nea comes, Mouse follows quietly, nodding and hmming politely at the girl's comments. She couldn't help but think that, given a choice, she'd far prefer membership in the Guard to spending all her time in the Queen's presence, too. I'm sure you'd'a been jus' fine, even if 's true 'twas only th' pretty ones git in, she offers at the guardswoman's self-deprecating comment. But you're righ'. Tis' nice workin' under Miz Cressida - I mean, th' Field Marshal. She's a righ' decent sort, from all I c'n tell. Been good t' us'n's.

At the mention of food, Mouse's stomach grumbles; with the day's activity, food seems a distant memory. Thank y', Nea, f'r all th' 'elp. Some grub soun's like a fine idea.


NG Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (chirugeon) 6 CMB +4, CMD 16 | Fort. +8, Ref. +7, Will +4 | Init. +2 | Perc. +10, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 30ft |
Yaziyah Tanja wrote:
The Shoanti woman hesitates, then gestures at Pietro. "Is that so? Well, the good doctor here should have no trouble verifying that, no? And it's still wrong to advertise it as a cure when, as you yourself said, it is not."

The doctor nodded as the woman described the process, "Yes, that makes sense. However, giving people hope is very lofty but making money off the people is not."

He concluded, "If you contnue in business, I think you should let people know exactly what you are selling and see how much they are willing to pay for it."

He shook his head, "What you are doing is dangerous. People walk out of your place thinking their loved ones are cured and that just isn't the case."

-----------
craft alchemy: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (8) + 12 = 20
sense motive: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Roll20 Link | Harrow Point Uses | Loot | Hero Points

Citadel Volshyenek
Nea smiles. "Nah, I'm on duty! Won't finish m'shift for another few hours. I'd suggest ya get some rest, if ya can." New salutes and prepares to leave you.

With Vendra
Pietro has never heard of the procedure that Vendra describes, though he does find its description plausible.

Vendra jumps at the sound of distant chittering from beyond the wall. She nods her head fervently at Pietro. "Oh, yes, indeed! Mark my words, good sir, after this night I shall change my advertising model. It's back to simple, quality perfumes for me! If those Gray Maidens don't ransack my humble little shop, I'll invite you back for some free samples, yourselves! Doesn't that sound nice? Now, won't you please release me?" She wipes her nose on the shoulder of her pretty but dirty yellow blouse, and smiles. "Please?"

Actions, anyone else? What's to be done with Vendra?


Male Human(Cheliaxian/Varisian) Barbarian 5/Fighter 1 | HP 63/63 | AC 20, T 11 FF 19 | Fort +8, Ref +3, Will +2 (+4 Superstition) | CMD 22 | Init +2 | Perception +11

Garvid crosses his arms. Well, s*#&. She looks pretty convincing. Then again, the two stooges just about admitted to her swindling people for hope, and so did she. Besides, we can't do anything without proof,
anyway.
He takes out the keys of the manacles, spinning them around his finger.
Sense Motive: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

"Well, that'd be a good start. Then again, we can't really leave you down here, or back at your shop now, can we. Sending a young woman all alone.", he muses, putting the keys back on his belt. "Tell you what. We take you somewhere safe just for the now, and as soon as we get to see what's really in that liniment of yours, we'd let you go." He looks at the group around him. "We'd even reimburse you for the sample we'd take.", he grins, knowing that whether she's lying or not, that's the least of her worries.

Gently picking up the still bound Vendra, he shrugs. "Let's take her to where we took the Maynard and... Whatshisface, right?", he suggests, taking his place behind Vendra, holding the manacles in a hard, yet somewhat subtle grip.

I suggest we take her in to the Citadel, and report what we know. Garvid will try to keep hold of the manacles somewhat subtly, could I make a Sleight of Hand or a Profession(Guard) check to not be immediately noticeable that she's bound?
If So, +1 for SoH: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26


NG Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (chirugeon) 6 CMB +4, CMD 16 | Fort. +8, Ref. +7, Will +4 | Init. +2 | Perc. +10, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 30ft |

Pietro didn't want to hindrance the woman any longer but she had swindled a lot of people. And what's to say that she isn't lying right now and just skip town, with all her money, if we let her.

He nods toward Garvid, "Good idea. With all the the Grey Maidens, it's not safe out there. Let's get her together with her workers and leave the questioning to people who do this for a living."

--------
Back to the Citadel...


Roll20 Link | Harrow Point Uses | Loot | Hero Points

With Vendra
Vendra starts, but after another skitter in the darkness, drops her gaze to the floor and nods her head.

The journey to the Citadel is quiet. Once you get your bearings, you realize you have numerous exits from the sewers up onto the streets. It’s simply a matter of sending Slinky up to peer out of the drain until you find that the coast is clear. From there, he stays ahead a block or two, returning to inform Yaziyah of danger.

Citadel Volshyenek

Garvid, Pietro, Talfryn, Yazi
You’re immediately halted by one of the four Guardsmen manning the entrance to the Citadel. After recognizing you it’s only a few routine questions before another pipes up. ”That’s Vendra Loaggri! The Marshal herself just took some men and gone lookin’ for’r! We’ll take’r inter custody and inform Field Marshal Kroft. Meanwhile, yer friends is upstairs, safe as houses.” Tag?

Li and Mouse

Li:
You find yourself running, barefoot, across the white sand beach overlooking Sandpoint Harbor. The morning sun shines down upon the Varisian waters, casting that azure blue ablaze. Even this early in the day, local fishermen are returning from their morning routes, their nets overfull with silvern, shimmering fish. Seagulls caw and swoop low overhead as they search the sands and surf for a catch of their own..

Your chest heaves with each breath and you realize you are are tired, that you’d like nothing more than to stop and take in the beauty of the harbor, but just now the reason that you are running dawns on you.

Someone is chasing you.

Heavy boots thud across the sand. Hoarse and heavy breathing, haggard, rises and falls just behind you. And you know that if you stop or slow, that if the person pursuing you were to catch up to you… You quicken your pace, running farther from the town and out onto the deserted beach, where the crash of waves would surely muffle any call for aid...

”Neffi! Neffi, wake up!”

Grau Soldado stands in the doorway, an uncertain smile on his face. ”Sorry to wake you, Nef, but it looked like you were having a bad dream. And I see your friend is here. Mouse, innit? I remember you.” He gives a little cough. ”Breakfast is prepped in the mess hall, and you’re invited to have a meal before you head off. When I heard it was you stayin’ in the barracks, I volunteered to fetch you. Hope you don’t mind.” Tag?

Grau leads you up another level into the private living quarters of the Citadel. Here there are only a few armored soldiers, and most men walk the halls in their off duty clothing. The halls are strangely quiet, however, and even the mess hall is only about half full. Nea is nowhere to be seen, and it appears you are the only women present.

”Food’s not bad,” Grau comments idly, ”If you don’t mind the flavor of dirt in your coffee, or rocks in your porridge.” He grins foolishly. ”Only jokin’, ‘course. Rocks would be a luxury. Don’t tell Pickens I said that. I still owe him for a game of dice, and no need to be stoking those flames.

”This morning we have brown bread with gravy, roast horse meat with rice. What’ll it be?” Tag?


NG Male Human (Chelaxian) Alchemist (chirugeon) 6 CMB +4, CMD 16 | Fort. +8, Ref. +7, Will +4 | Init. +2 | Perc. +10, Sense Motive +1 | Speed 30ft |
The Wicked GM wrote:

Citadel Volshyenek

Garvid, Pietro, Talfryn, Yazi
You’re immediately halted by one of the four Guardsmen manning the entrance to the Citadel. After recognizing you it’s only a few routine questions before another pipes up. ”That’s Vendra Loaggri! The Marshal herself just took some men and gone lookin’ for’r! We’ll take’r inter custody and inform Field Marshal Kroft. Meanwhile, yer friends is upstairs, safe as houses.” Tag?

Glad his friends made it back here safe and sound, the doctor stifles a yawn. "I guess if Vendra will be taken care of, we can all rest some."

He looked at the guard, "Do you by chance have room for us or should we come back in the morning?"


Female Human Unchained Rogue/6 HP 53/53; AC 20 T 14 FF16; Fort+4 Ref+9/11 Will+4; Init+4; Perception+11/14, Sense Motive +11

Li sits straight up, her chest heaving. She looks around frantically, her body fully in fight or flight mode. Just as she's ready to bolt, to keep running, her eyes meet Grau's and she realizes that it was just a dream.

"Dreamin'...right. That be a relief. Thanks fer wakin' me 'cause this be way more pleasant than what be happenin' in me dream.". A sense of foreboding stays with Li but she tries to push it aside. Smiling brightly at Grau she adds, "Of course I don't be mindin' that ya came ta get me, I be meanin' us, fer breakfast. It be nice ta be seein' a friendly face an' all."

The rogue tries to fix her hair somewhat and make herself a little more presentable before following Grau to the mess hall. Again, the absence of women is quite striking and even the numbers of the men seem strangely low. Li figures that the blood veil is starting to take its toll on the guard.

When Grau asks her about food all she says is, "Yes, please," with a grin. "It all be good after havin' ta claw an' beg fer food from Lamm when I be younger."


Female Half-elf HP 52/52| AC 18 | FF 14 | T 14 | Per +12 | F: 7 | R: 8 | W: 6 | Init +5
Skills:
Acro +7 | Climb +8 | Diplo +3 | Lore (Old Korvosa) +4 | Prof (porter) +5 | Sense Mot +5
Brawler 3

Mouse smiles at the friendly Grau. Y' be singin' righ' fine music t' my ears, frien'. She glances worriedly over at Li, but lets the matter of the dream drop; if Li wanted to talk about it, she'd do so. The worry doesn't diminish as she sees the half-empty mess - firs' thin' in th' mornin', shou'n't this place be full-up o' folk gettin' ready f'r th' day? But between the unrest, the draw of the Grey Maidens, and the blood veil, maybe this was all that would join them... Meat an' rice soun's righ' nice, she continues with a smile, masking her concern. An' coffee soun's great too - th' dirt makes 't richer, I 'spect. ;)


Roll20 Link | Harrow Point Uses | Loot | Hero Points

The Guards send word upstairs, then show Garvid, Pietro, Talfryn, Yazi up into the mess hall to reunite with Li and Mouse. Together with Grau, you're able to enjoy the remnants of breakfast.

You've been awake approximately 24 hours. I'd guess you're all pretty tired! This is the early morning of "Day 6." Let's insert 24 hours of downtime here. You'll probably want to rest, but I'm also about to liquidate and distribute loot, so last call. Then you may wish to go shopping. And don't forget about the Abadaran key you found in Giotorro's Toys.


Male Human HP 50/50 | AC 17/ FF 11/ T 17 | Per +6 | F: 5/ R: 5/ W: 7 | Init +1 | Active Conditions: Mage Armor

Talfryn's barely able to keep his eyes open now that all the excitement is over; slumping in his seat, he manages to eat a few rashers of bacon, and then his chin slowly drops and rests on his chest, followed by the sound of soft snores.


Male Human(Cheliaxian/Varisian) Barbarian 5/Fighter 1 | HP 63/63 | AC 20, T 11 FF 19 | Fort +8, Ref +3, Will +2 (+4 Superstition) | CMD 22 | Init +2 | Perception +11

"Well, that feels weird...", replies Garvid, nodding at a familiar guard as he scales up the stairs. Can't believe it's only been half a year., he thinks to himself, staring at the cobblestone, worn from hundreds of guards' pace over dozens of years. "Coming in the back entrance like a guard once more.", he reminisces, seemingly deep in thought. "Used to play in the yard, back in the day. Or, get pushed around to carry water or messages, more like it. Eh. Maybe one day.", he shrugs, achingly making his way up the stairs.

-----------------------------------

Once in the mess hall, Garvid stares at the surroundings. So few people..., he thinks. Either the plague or the Queen's making a move for us... them. A youthful looking guardsman with sharper ears than usual, walks into the mess hall with an unbuttoned shirt, raising an eyebrow at Garvid, who turns around. "Ha! Kibbler himself! Boss said, it's parade armour day. Brought me in to show you how to wear it.", he replies, giving the half-elf a pat on the back, and slamming his massive fist on his heavy armour. "Think you can run up to Pickles and grab me a coffee? Tell him its for me, so he should go generous on the spit.", he cheerily adds, moving towards a paperwork cabinet and starting to rifle through it. A couple of seconds later, he pulls out a waxed paper bag, feeling it for size. Heh. Told Carlin he shouldn't leave them in the mess hall., he thinks to himself as he throws some sweets down his mouth, and some gold coins down the bag.

-----------------------------------

As he finishes the food, he looks at Mouse and Li, all prepped up and ready. "Sorry about not waiting, but opportunity came knocking.", he grins. "Anyway, glad to see you're alright. You know why most of the girls in the guard seem to be missing?", he asks.

I think Garvid might try and buy a belt of Mighty Strength off of the Abadarian temple - they seem like the most reasonable people to have them, since they do both trading and magic. Besides, it's on the way to the key.

Also, are we being debriefed by Cressida, or are we assuming that happened and she'll call us when the situation changes?

1,601 to 1,650 of 1,776 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Curse of the Crimson Throne by The Wicked GM Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.