Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Curse of the Crimson Throne by GM SnowHeart

Game Master SnowHeart

Hardcover edition of the CotCT campaign run by GM SnowHeart.
Link to Maps
Link to Handouts

Initiative:
[dice=Brin the Baker]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Quinlan]1d20+4[/dice]
[dice=Gregor]1d20+6[/dice]
[dice=Kalem Darkborn]1d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Bashiel Eland]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Ilsa]1d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Varor]1d20+6[/dice]
-----------------
[dice=Enemy]1d20[/dice]
[dice=Enemy]1d20[/dice]
Rolls will be averaged and then each group will move as a block. Party actions will be resolved in the order they are posted. If a player hasn't posted within approximately 24 hours since the last GM update, the PC will either be botted or skipped.
Perception:
[dice=Brin the Baker]1d20+0[/dice]
[dice=Quinlan]1d20+6[/dice]
[dice=Gregor]1d20+8[/dice]
[dice=Kalem Darkborn]1d20+4[/dice]
[dice=Bashiel Eland]1d20+4[/dice]
[dice=Ilsa]1d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Varor]1d20+2[/dice]


351 to 400 of 463 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>

Link to Google Slides Maps for CotCT

I'm not sure who picked it up but there was a brass key you found on the human. For the sake of simplicity, I'll say it gets passed up. I'll post what Gregor finds on the other side when he opens the door...next Bat Time. Same Bat Channel.


Male Halfling HP 11/11 | F+3 R+7 W+4 | AC 19/15/15 | Init+6 | Perc+8 | DD+7 | CMB -1; CMD 13 | Halfling, Unchained Rogue 1

I 100% read that as unlock sorry! rushed posts on phones aren't my strong point. I would have taken 20 for disable device for 27 if we didn't have the key.


male Human 1st lvl Witch (gingerbread) | hp 9 | F+3 R+1 W+3 | AC 11/11/10 | Init +1 | Perc +1

i think i have the key and will pass it forward on my next post i have a hard time posting on a cell phone


Link to Google Slides Maps for CotCT

Gregor slips the brass key into the lock and it opens with only a little resistance. He opens the door and, on the other side, sees:

The air in this large room is chilly and stinks of the river, thanks to a huge opening in the floor that drops away to the river shore three feet below. Several pilings emerge from the waters to support the roof eight feet above the floor, with mossy ropes slung between them. In two places, rusty manacles hang from the ropes over the water. Two five-foot-wide walkways cross the hole to the other side of the chamber, where a collection of old cabinets, lockboxes, and piles of clutter are strewn about. Chipped porcelain plates, a cracked goblet, badly rusted silverware, an old wooden shield with a crossbow bolt embedded in it, the odd dinged helm, and other “treasures” litter the floor of this side of the chamber. Three tables heaped with clutter stand amid this mess. In the southwest corner, a wooden door provides access to a walled-off section.

Also in the room is none other than Gaedren Lamm. He stands at the other end of the room, watching expectantly. Clearly, he has heard the commotion from elsewhere in the fishery. On his face is a cruel, sinister grin as he recognizes the halfling coming through the door. The cause for his mirth is apparent.

Suspended upside down from the manacles over the water is Tom, his hands bound and his mouth gagged, but his eyes are wide with fear and terror. As he sees his father, the terror reaches a cresendo of thrashing and muffled screams, which in turn triggers the source of Tom's terror and Gaedren's cruel humor.

In the pit, a sudden splash and fountain of water forms as an alligator spins in anticipation of its next meal.

"Ah ah ah...," Gaedren taunts. "Don't move too fast, little man. Gobblegut's hungry for a snack, his last meal was a little... small." With a half step to the side, Gaedren reveals he has one hand on a lever that presumably will release the ropes suspending Tom where he is. In the other hand, a small crossbow, loaded with a bolt barely bigger than a dart.

The threat is clear. Come too close or threaten Gaedren, and Tom will be fed to the alligator.

Map Updated

The Exchange

Human Mesmerist 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +2; R +4; W +1 | CMB+2; CMD 14 | Speed 30 ft | Init +2 | Sap: +2 (1d6+2) | Perc +2

Ilsa stops in her tracks and a lump comes to her throat.

That could have been Briget dangling there!

She glares at him, but doesn't know what she could do to him. This was bound to be an impossible mission.

Of course he had contingency plans!

"What do you want?" she says, knowing they certainly had to comply.

I will use Hypnotic Stare on him (-2 Will saves). He doesn't know that I am doing it unless I want him to.

hypnotic stare:
"The mesmerist can remove the memory of his stare from the target’s mind; The creature doesn’t remember that it was affected (nor does it realize that it is currently being affected) unless the mesmerist allows it."


Male Halfling HP 11/11 | F+3 R+7 W+4 | AC 19/15/15 | Init+6 | Perc+8 | DD+7 | CMB -1; CMD 13 | Halfling, Unchained Rogue 1

"Lamm! This is between me and you, my boy... He didn't have to get caught up in all this. I never wanted this for him a life like this was why I ran from my homeland!" He shouts out one hands over his sheathed dagger and the other attempting to hold back the others. "Let me just get him down and you can have what you want, don't let them be your final play."


Link to Google Slides Maps for CotCT

Ilsa, can you update the map with Ilsa's location? She wouldn't be able to see/say anything from the boat. I'll assume she comes in behind Gregor and Bashiel.

Gaedren's gaze shifts to Ilsa as she crawls through the door. He tips his head to the side in a quizzical fashion as he ponders her role in this assault on his 'castle'. "Now, isn't this interesting. I know who he is -- the little bumper thought he could suck at the teat of my kind heart then just leave when he wanted... But you, I don't recognize you. What are you? A junkie? You need some shiver, sweat meat? Maybe we can make an arrangement after I deal with your little friend."

The old man's voice is coarse, like jagged bone, and the gap-toothed snear adds to the wickedness. At Gregor's plea, he laughs--a vile, choking sound.

"Oh, Little Man, but he is here because of you. Well, not exactly there..." He waves his hand-crossbow over the open space with the alligator. "This... this is just delightful coincidence. Truth is, the lad was going to be a snack tonight. This little lamb was a black little sheep. Too much trouble. What'd you do? Poison his mind against Uncle Gaedren?"

He waves the crossbow about again with jaunty contempt. "Normally, Giggles handles the feeding of Gobblegut. But I suppose you've taken care of her... that's what all that racket was, I imagine. I'm just not sure how this rope thing works. You say you want him down?" He jerks on the lever and the old pulleys roll loose before suddenly locking back up again, the withered hand jamming the lever back into place.

Tom's descent of about two feet brings him closer to the alligator, who snaps angrily at the air above him, frustrated at being denied his meal. "Careful, daddy... Uncle Gaedren isn't as coordinated as he used to be. My hand may just... slip. Maybe if you came back into the fold, little Gregor. We made a good team, didn't we?"

The Exchange

Human Mesmerist 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +2; R +4; W +1 | CMB+2; CMD 14 | Speed 30 ft | Init +2 | Sap: +2 (1d6+2) | Perc +2

Updated...sorry, I forgot we're on Slides now!

Ilsa returns a the man's questions with a scowl.

"You don't know me," she says.

"You simply destroyed the life of my sister, my nephew, and finally my niece. I'm here looking for her, and if anything has happened to her, there's nowhere you could hide from my wrath," she says, though some hesitancy in her voice belies her tough words.

What could I even do?

"So now what? You kill the boy and we throw you into the drink for your pet's dessert. We take one step and you kill the boy. What do you want?"


Tiefling
Vitals:
HP (12/12) AC (16/12/14), DR2/Silver, Fort (+3) Ref (+1) Will (+1) +2 vs divination spells
Primalist Urban Bloodrager (1)
Skills:
Initiative (+2) Perception/Sense Motive (+4) Diplomacy/Intimidate(+8) Bluff (+9)

Stealth to start moving closer while the others talk: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19

While Lamm was distracted by the others, Kalem stuck to the shadows and tried to move closer. Preferably in a way where he could charge at the man and take him by surprise.


Male Halfling HP 11/11 | F+3 R+7 W+4 | AC 19/15/15 | Init+6 | Perc+8 | DD+7 | CMB -1; CMD 13 | Halfling, Unchained Rogue 1

"Lamm! This isnt a game! I know what I did, you are a saint in all this." He hold his hands up now attempting to appease the decrepit old man. "But don't do this, he's all I have left. Let's just leave it there, we came for Tom and Ilsa's niece. Just take it easy." He turn to the group. "Stay back! Don't do anything stupid."


Male Human Paladin (Ghost Hunter) 1 | AC:16 T:11 FF:15 | HP: 10/11 | F+3 R+1 W+1 | Init +1 | Perc +4 | Active Status:: 2 STR damage, (Shield Stowed)

As Bashiel lays eyes on Lamm, he winces in what appears to be pain. He rests a hand on the inside of the doorway and stares at the old man. The inside of his head is a cacophony. A dozen voices have been brought up out of slumber by the presence of a hated enemy and they are intent to make their judgement known.

~He has wronged the family, retribution is yours for the taking!~
~նրա կյանքը բռնագրավում!~
~Osiris will judge, you must only send this worm to his doorstep~
~A thousand curses upon him! Mercy is for those that deserve it.~
~չեն լուծել բանտում այս մեկը, իր մի մութ հոգին...~

Bashiel's face contorts with shifting emotions. A flicker of a hatred. A snarl starting to form...

---ENOUGH! GIVE ME SILENCE!

Bashiel's mental yell cuts through the voices. Their silence allows Gregor's words to come through. He takes a deep breath and composes himself.

"We meet again Lamm. I see your sadism has not abated." Bashiel's voice cracks with suppressed emotion. "I see even you can understand when Pharasma comes to collect old debts. You've lived on borrowed time. Nevertheless, out of respect for Gregor, I will hear your plea." Bashiel pointedly sheathes his longsword and then puts a reassuring hand on Gregor's shoulder. "If it is good, you may escape us to live another day as a free man."

---All of you. Lamm is doomed. Whether it is me or another who exacts it, he has no clear escape from here. He holds the boy's life in his hands and he is likely to throw it away for no other reason but spite. I need to save the child if I can. Rash action now will only endanger him. I need those with steady minds to come forth. How do I get the boy out of there?

A flurry of thoughts. None good. None without risk. Bashiel follows Lamm's movements intently. Though he tries not to give anything away, he readies himself to leap at the alligator and draw his Bardiche.

If I can keep the beast busy... Gregor, I hope you can swim.


male Human 1st lvl Witch (gingerbread) | hp 9 | F+3 R+1 W+3 | AC 11/11/10 | Init +1 | Perc +1

Brin is going to look down after he overhears the talk and grab one of the dead spiders. then hurry to just behind the group with the big spider hidden behind his back. once he gets close enough he will throw in the dead spider hoping the alligator goes after the dead spider first where the rest can attack.

"Ok everyone, calm down I'm sure we can work this out where everyone is happy."

I hope everyone can see what I'm doing as I pass them


Link to Google Slides Maps for CotCT

Gaedren cackles as Bashiel appears. "Oh my, oh my, oh my... you've brought have the city guard with you, you little bumper. Tell me, guardsman... how is your mother doing? Healing..."

Whatever else he was going to say is cut off with a snap as his arm with the crossbow swivels towards Kalem, all mirth replaced with cold intent as his eyes turn to ice. He practically hisses, "Your dark skinned friend didn't get the message, Gregor. That's hardly very nice." The lever is pulled a fraction of an inch, enough to cause the wooden teeth in the cog to groan. Tom begins to squirm in panic but Gaedren hardly notices.

He eyes Kalem a bit more closely, and realization dawns. "Aaaaah. The brother. What was his name? Maldus? Markam? AH! Marcus... Such a talented young man, so sad to see him swinging at the end of a rope, but sacrifices must be made. Let's not add another life lost at the end of a rope, shall we?"

Assuming Kalem stops, the old man switches his attention back to Ilsa. "Now, you, the little addict... no, nurse. The shiver took your sister, did it? As for your niece, I don't know what you're... oh... the girl..." He pauses, eyes lighting up with sinister glee as he pieces it together. "Ah, yes... I'm afraid she's no longer with us, child. Literally and, soon enough, spiritually."

"But let's not be hasty afore we add another to the butcher's bill. You ask what I want? I want you to leave. This is my business! My enterprise! MY LAMBS!" Spittle flies from his lips as he flirts with rage.

"Get out! Leave! And maybe..." He recovers a semblance of calm. "Maybe... I'll let the boy live. Put the other lambs on the boat, and I'll let you take the little black sheep. Uncle Gaedren's gift to you."

DC 17 Sense Motive:
Despite the offer, Gaedren is on a knife's edge. It seems as if he could attack just to spite you, regardless of what it means for his own survival. The threat to Tom's life seems very real; the offer to spare him, probably not.

GM Rolls:

Gaedren's Perception to Spot Kalem: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28
Bluff: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (2) + 15 = 17


Tiefling
Vitals:
HP (12/12) AC (16/12/14), DR2/Silver, Fort (+3) Ref (+1) Will (+1) +2 vs divination spells
Primalist Urban Bloodrager (1)
Skills:
Initiative (+2) Perception/Sense Motive (+4) Diplomacy/Intimidate(+8) Bluff (+9)

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

So close

Kalem thought to himself that Lamm was desperate. He was alone, and if he used his bargaining chip then he'd die. But...was he stalling? Was this a ruse until his men got into position. He froze when Lamm pointed at him. It wasn't the crossbow, but what he said. The name, the old hurt...it was like being hit by his own hammer. Only it was realization that this wasn't about his vengeance anymore. Marcus was dead, but the child wasn't. And Gregor wasn't just a halfling, he was a real person. Such a simple notion, and yet in his obsession he hasn't realized. He knew that he had to do something, and violence was too risky. So he did the only other thing he ever showed skill in. He talked:

Bluff: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25

"Lamm. You've been sold out by your own people, you don't exactly inspire loyalty you know. Who is going to help you if you pull that lever. Think about it. The game is up. I mean, look. We have a watchman here, to make sure that we bring you in alive. You've escaped the law enough before to know that easily recognizable lawmen would tip you off long before we made it this far." That was the thing about lies. They had to be believable, and they worked best if you said what they wanted to hear. Lamm, he assumed, had to be paranoid to have gotten as far as he did, and it was partially true, which always helped a lie.

"But if you kill the child and try to run...well, let's just say that you aren't going to get far, because we you know that we have people waiting just for that. And this will be a murder charge you won't be able to talk down from. Make this easy on yourself...or don't. As much as I'd like a crack at you, I'd much rather leave you alone and tied up with Gregor here. Kill the child and I don't think Bashiel can save you."

Follow up intimidate to add emphasis to the threat at the end: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

And follow up with a threat. Don't let them dwell on the lie, keep them distracted and thinking of something else tangible. He hoped it would be enough, if not to step down, than at least to waver enough for someone to try something while his attention was focused.

Lamm has really high modifiers. We can only assume his sense motive is at least +10. Some assists would be helpful here to get these up


Male Elf Cleric/1 1d8+1=Hit Points: 9/9 Initiative: +6. Perception +4 Speed: Walk 20 ft. AC: 17 touch 12, flatfooted 15. Saves: Fortitude: +3, Reflex: +2, Will: +4.

I know everyone hates the guy who says, "you're using out of character knowledge," but, GM, if Brin can't hear what's going on in the room from way back in the boat he should have no idea of the alligators being there. If it makes you feel any better I'm almost sorry I'm that person.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

How many people had Varor ever stabbed to get away from a bad situation? No fewer than a dozen if his memory serves him correctly, as he made it a priority to not kill or injure anyone unless in self-defense. Not out of any moral code during his time as a thief, but rather as an understanding that the more violence and death he spread the more the authorities will pay attention to him and try to bring him in.

No fewer than a dozen that he had stabbed to their deaths. Listening to the little lamb talk, it's like being stabbed. Or at least he imagine so.

There is no helping him, Gaedren has no desire to change and Varor knows that he does not have the ability to convince him otherwise.

How many of the people had he stepped cried when they knew it was over? He didn't know, he never bothered to notice their tears.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
male Human 1st lvl Witch (gingerbread) | hp 9 | F+3 R+1 W+3 | AC 11/11/10 | Init +1 | Perc +1

I assumed people were shouting and talking pretty loudly. because it was a tense situation. ill be happy to roll perception.

Perception: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

----- lol in the words of the immortal Eric Cartman "screw you guys I'm going home", I guess I'm fiddling with my "wand" in the dark trying to get something to come out.

Spellcraft: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17


Tiefling
Vitals:
HP (12/12) AC (16/12/14), DR2/Silver, Fort (+3) Ref (+1) Will (+1) +2 vs divination spells
Primalist Urban Bloodrager (1)
Skills:
Initiative (+2) Perception/Sense Motive (+4) Diplomacy/Intimidate(+8) Bluff (+9)

DC10 to assist on either bluff or intimidate

The Exchange

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Mesmerist 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +2; R +4; W +1 | CMB+2; CMD 14 | Speed 30 ft | Init +2 | Sap: +2 (1d6+2) | Perc +2

The darkness presses in around her, and everything Gaedren says is like a dagger to her heart.

This nightmare does not end! It will never end!

As he talks about her sister, she interrupts, and says "How do you know all of these things? Do you keep track of all the souls you have crushed?! My sister never used your Shiver! She drank from a well you poisoned with it!"

As the monster discusses her niece, she says "What do you mean, she is no longer with us?! Is she alive?! If you have harmed her..."

Tears stream down her face as rage boils within her, and her eyes are black pinpricks of darkness.

sense motive: 1d20 - 2 ⇒ (13) - 2 = 11
intimidate aid: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (4) + 8 = 12


Male Halfling HP 11/11 | F+3 R+7 W+4 | AC 19/15/15 | Init+6 | Perc+8 | DD+7 | CMB -1; CMD 13 | Halfling, Unchained Rogue 1

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

Gregor edges close to the water, every muscle in his body is on edge."Listen to him Lamm! You know what I'd do for Tom, you move him one more time and thats it for you."

Bluff: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16

If he drops him again gregor will shout to kill Lamm and leap into the water.


hp: 10/10; AC 15 ff 12 t 13; fort 2, ref 5, will 2; bab 0, melee 0, ranged 3; CMB 0, CMD 13; init +4; perc +6; insp 7/7; harrow pts 2/2; daemon-spawn tiefling investigator/1
skills:
bluff 5, diplo 5, disable 9, escape 3, know arc 8, know dungeoneering 7, know eng 7, know history 8, know local 7, know planes 8, know religion 7, perc 6, spellcraft 7

sense motive: 1d20 ⇒ 1

He might be sincere... but I still don't trust him...

Quinlan steps forward, quelling his hatred for Lamm for the moment, and looks for some way to disable the winch so Lamm's pull of the lever will have no affect on the boy or the cogs... and if can figure something out, he'll try to put it into effect.

1d20 + 7 + 1d6 ⇒ (19) + 7 + (6) = 32


Link to Google Slides Maps for CotCT

Brin fiddles with his "wand" <fap fap fap fap> and it shoots out a green glob of goo <eeeeeeew!>. It's a wand of Acid Splash; 28 charges.

@ Quinlan:
Can you remind me what the extra 1d6 is from?
With a roll that high, it doesn't really matter, but just for future reference.

There is a lever with a "tooth" on it that can lock a spinning gear. That cog controls a post with a wound length of rope on it, which is in turn routed through several pulleys (up the wall and then over the water) and tied to the manacles from which Tom is suspended. It's a simple system, easier to release than bind. But... a well placed shot or thrown weapon might be able to immobilize the gear (at least until the weapon was removed). Call it an AC 18 shot.

Gaedren stares at Kalem, eyes wide, first with disbelief but then with rage. He bites his tongue, though, weighing his options. And then... a door is opened and the sneer returns as his gaze returns to Ilsa.

"Ah, yes... Well now, she may not be dead yet, though perhaps you'd wish she were. I know where she is, you see. She was never for me, not to be one of my lambs. She is alive, but for how long..."

He shrugs and his gaze flicks to Bashiel. "So, how about it lawman? Save the boy, get the girl's location... all you have to do is let me leave."

DC 16 Sense Motive:
Gaedren is shaken by Kalem's words and believes he has been betrayed. This is actually just making him more desperate. He doesn't take the offer seriously; whether it's because he doesn't mean it or he doesn't expect you to honor it is hard to tell.

GM Rolls:

Sense Motive against Kalem: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (3) + 11 = 14
Bluff: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (1) + 15 = 16
Damn that is some s@+*tastic rolling there. Good for you, though!


hp: 10/10; AC 15 ff 12 t 13; fort 2, ref 5, will 2; bab 0, melee 0, ranged 3; CMB 0, CMD 13; init +4; perc +6; insp 7/7; harrow pts 2/2; daemon-spawn tiefling investigator/1
skills:
bluff 5, diplo 5, disable 9, escape 3, know arc 8, know dungeoneering 7, know eng 7, know history 8, know local 7, know planes 8, know religion 7, perc 6, spellcraft 7

investigator 'inspiration' and how it works:

An investigator has the ability to augment skill checks and ability checks through his brilliant inspiration. The investigator has an inspiration pool equal to 1/2 his investigator level + his Intelligence modifier (minimum 1). An investigator's inspiration pool refreshes each day, typically after he gets a restful night's sleep. As a free action, he can expend one use of inspiration from his pool to add 1d6 to the result of that check, including any on which he takes 10 or 20. This choice is made after the check is rolled and before the results are revealed. An investigator can only use inspiration once per check or roll. The investigator can use inspiration on any Knowledge, Linguistics, or Spellcraft skill checks without expending a use of inspiration, provided he's trained in the skill.

Inspiration can also be used on attack rolls and saving throws, at the cost of expending two uses of inspiration each time from the investigator's pool. In the case of saving throws, using inspiration is an immediate action rather than a free action.

Quinlan raises his bow and fires, not at Lamm, but at the device hoping to immobilize it, so Lamm can't drop the boy in the drink or toy with him any longer:

to hit: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23
to confirm: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22

"You've lost your one bargaining chip, Lamm... Now it's time to surrender..."

?: 1d20 ⇒ 18 not sure what skill this would be - +5 if diplomacy, +1 if intimidate.


Male Human Paladin (Ghost Hunter) 1 | AC:16 T:11 FF:15 | HP: 10/11 | F+3 R+1 W+1 | Init +1 | Perc +4 | Active Status:: 2 STR damage, (Shield Stowed)

Sense Motive vs. Gaedren's first statement: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
Sense Motive vs. Gaedren #2: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22 Can I also tell if his statement about knowing Ilsa's niece's location is a fabrication or not? Also is the statement about her being alive a lie? If either seem to be, Bashiel will comment on it to allay Ilsa's fears.

Bashiel narrows his eyes at Lamm. Even if he's willing to give Tom up here, the other children, his future victims, they'll all suffer if we leave him. Its not an option. And... and... my duty is clear. I cannot let him leave freely no matter what he offers.

"Your plea is as foul and rotten as your soul. You bargain with the lives of children, trying to trade them for your freedom. It seems you don't understand your position. Your allies have abandoned your cause or will soon be in the holding cells of the nearest Guard post. You have no way to escape. "

"Your choice is simple. You can try to kill this boy. In doing so, you guarantee your death. Or you can surrender, step away from the lever, and I will ensure you stay alive long enough to stand trial. Perhaps your contacts can once again find some way to clear the charges against you?" Bashiel grimaces at that possibility. "Either way you choose, us allowing you to leave is no longer an option."

Bashiel's eyes bore holes into Lamm, unblinking. He waits for even a single twitch of the man's arm towards pulling the lever.

LOL Quinlan you ninja'd me with an epic roll


Tiefling
Vitals:
HP (12/12) AC (16/12/14), DR2/Silver, Fort (+3) Ref (+1) Will (+1) +2 vs divination spells
Primalist Urban Bloodrager (1)
Skills:
Initiative (+2) Perception/Sense Motive (+4) Diplomacy/Intimidate(+8) Bluff (+9)

Kalem stared in open eyed disbelief as the crossbow was fired. Was he mad? In that split second he watched as the bolt flew through the air, as if in slow motion. It wasn't everyday when a life hung in the balance by naught but where a bolt would land...

Just had to say holy-s on that roll. Damn!


Link to Google Slides Maps for CotCT

For the sake of exposition and role-play, I'll treat Bashiel's post as coming before Quinlan's.

As he listens to Bashiel, Gaedren's grin turns sour, finishing in a snarl of rage. "They! Are! MINE!"

And then Quinlan's crossbow snaps up and fires, the bolt thudding into the gear, wedging it in place. Gaedren looks at the quivering bolt, his jaw momentarily agape. And then, he looks... defeated. The swagger goes out of his shoulders, the snarl fades, and his head slowly turns back to the group. He eyes Varor briefly, and it seems recognition dawns on his face, but it is without hope. He appears to accept defeat and prepares to surrender.

But such is not how Gaedren chooses to go out. With a snap nearly as fast as Quinlan's, he lifts his hand crossbow back up and fires. Not at any of you. Not even at Tom. But at Gobblegut. The bolt pierces the giant reptile's armor with a muffled thud but it is enough to send the giant beast into a rage.

Surprise Round. Give me Sense Motive checks, DC 31. Success means you'll act in a surprise round. Firing his hand crossbow was Gaedren's action for the surprise round. Anyone who beats his bluff may also take one move or one standard action. If not, we'll begin the first proper round with Gaedren and Gobblegut going first based on averaged initiative rolls. I also updated the map slightly to better accommodate your positions as you've been roleplaying them. Note for Varor: Coming through the door will be a full move action.

GM Rolls and Initiative:

Bluff: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (16) + 15 = 31

Brin the Baker: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (11) + 1 = 12
Quinlan: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20
Gregor: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Kalem Darkborn: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9
Bashiel Eland: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14
Ilsa: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
Varor: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
-----------------
Gaedren: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Gobblegut: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (17) + 1 = 18


Tiefling
Vitals:
HP (12/12) AC (16/12/14), DR2/Silver, Fort (+3) Ref (+1) Will (+1) +2 vs divination spells
Primalist Urban Bloodrager (1)
Skills:
Initiative (+2) Perception/Sense Motive (+4) Diplomacy/Intimidate(+8) Bluff (+9)

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

Assuming a 20 auto succeeds in rolling this


Link to Google Slides Maps for CotCT

Not on a skill roll, nope. A 1 is not an auto-fail, and a 20 is not an auto-success. Although, now that you mention it, it doesn't look like anyone has a +11 or higher, so I'm just going to have Gaedren and Gobblegut act. If I misread folks' statblocks and they roll high enough, we will retcon.

Gaedren begins moving about the perimeter of Gobblegut's pit, away from the alligator and then around the far edge towards the more open area near the east wall. As he does, he reloads the hand crossbow. Both his move and standard actions; Gaedren moves with a pronounced limp that hinders his movement.

Gobblegut attempts to surge through the water and grab Gregor in its snapping maw, but just misses the opportunity. The stench of the beast's breath hits Gregor with a nearly physical intensity it was so close.

Again, assuming no one can make a DC 31 Sense Motive, we'll continue with Round 1, the party's turn.

GM Rolls:

Gobblegut picking a random target, clockwise from Ilsa: 1d6 ⇒ 4 Gregor
Gobblegut's Swim check to surge out of the water, DC 20: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (7) + 12 = 19 Fail


hp: 10/10; AC 15 ff 12 t 13; fort 2, ref 5, will 2; bab 0, melee 0, ranged 3; CMB 0, CMD 13; init +4; perc +6; insp 7/7; harrow pts 2/2; daemon-spawn tiefling investigator/1
skills:
bluff 5, diplo 5, disable 9, escape 3, know arc 8, know dungeoneering 7, know eng 7, know history 8, know local 7, know planes 8, know religion 7, perc 6, spellcraft 7

Quinlan moves, takes aim at Gaedran this time and fires off another shot.

to hit: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21
dmg if hits: 1d6 ⇒ 2

"I said 'surrender'... this is your last chance... next arrow goes into your eye."


Male Elf Cleric/1 1d8+1=Hit Points: 9/9 Initiative: +6. Perception +4 Speed: Walk 20 ft. AC: 17 touch 12, flatfooted 15. Saves: Fortitude: +3, Reflex: +2, Will: +4.

Brin, you do realize since the initiative started you officially start back in the boat right? We have a map that uses sliders.

Varor draws his scimitar and keeps it at the ready, not even needing to hear the crossbow bolts to know that battle will be inevitable now.

Tapping in to what little tactical knowledge he has Varor understand that trying to move through this crowded doorway would be relatively pointless and decided to stay towards the back and wait for everyone else to move.


Male Human Paladin (Ghost Hunter) 1 | AC:16 T:11 FF:15 | HP: 10/11 | F+3 R+1 W+1 | Init +1 | Perc +4 | Active Status:: 2 STR damage, (Shield Stowed)

Bashiel gasps as Quinlan breaks the tense situation with a seemingly miraculous shot. "Eh? The..."

Bashiel's loss for words only stalls him momentarily before he springs into action.
"Whoever can, get to Lamm. Cut him off. No telling if he has some secret escape route. And don't kill him! He still has to answer for Ilsa's niece! I'll deal with the beast."

Bashiel moves along the edge of the pathway, past Ilsa, and draws his bardiche as he goes.

@GM Mechanics questions: Normally creatures partially submerged in water get a big bonus to AC vs. landborne attacks. I'd like to ready an action to attack the alligator when it surges out of the water. Does this negate the bonus to AC? Also, while the alligator is in the water, is it partially or completely submerged?

Bashiel readies himself to slash at the alligator the next time it tries to surge out of the water, aiming to strike it whether or not it actually reaches someone.

Readied Bardiche, 2hd, PA: 1d20 + 5 - 1 - 1 ⇒ (2) + 5 - 1 - 1 = 5
Bardiche damage: 1d10 + 6 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (9) + 6 + 3 - 2 = 16

AoO if it moves through my threatened range:
Bardiche, 2hd, PA: 1d20 + 5 - 1 - 1 ⇒ (10) + 5 - 1 - 1 = 13
Bardiche damage: 1d10 + 6 + 3 - 2 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 3 - 2 = 15


Link to Google Slides Maps for CotCT

Readied attack is absolutely fine; good idea. I'll have to think about mechanics of partial cover and AoOs. I'd say it's partially submerged but it's only 3' difference in elevation, so I'm not sure about an AoO on top of a regular attack. I'll read the encounter description a little more fully later this afternoon..


Link to Google Slides Maps for CotCT

So, I think I'm just going to handwave penalties and bonuses against the alligator right now. He might get some sort of cover bonus for being partially submerged but you might also get a small bonus for being elevated (though it's only a 3' rather than 5' difference). I can explain more once combat is finished. In light of that, Bashiel, if you'd like to just make a straight up attack, that's fine. Unfortunately with that first roll I don't think it's going to matter either way, but for future rounds...


Male Halfling HP 11/11 | F+3 R+7 W+4 | AC 19/15/15 | Init+6 | Perc+8 | DD+7 | CMB -1; CMD 13 | Halfling, Unchained Rogue 1

Gregor pulls back just in time, gagging at the stench from the large creatures breath. teeth clenched tight he focuses on Tom and the Wench holding him just above the massive creature.

"Lamm you're done for! Move away from the edge but we have to try and pull Tom up away from it!" He shouts moving along the plank pushing past the group.

Acrobatics: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

He dances through their legs and attempts to look over the wench making sure it doesnt fall and wanting to pull his boy up.

Acrobatics +6 (+11 to move through spaces of larger foes)
That so good post there calling him out.

The Exchange

Human Mesmerist 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +2; R +4; W +1 | CMB+2; CMD 14 | Speed 30 ft | Init +2 | Sap: +2 (1d6+2) | Perc +2

Do I provoke an AoO for moving where the crock is partially submerged and lower?


Link to Google Slides Maps for CotCT

Given that is has to make a DC 20 swim check as part of an attack, I'm going to say no, movement on your part will not provoke an AoO. (I'm usually pretty RAW but this fight is set up a little oddly because, strictly by the CR, the deck would be heavily stacked against you. So, to the extent there is ambiguity in the scenario, I'm resolving it in your favor.)


Tiefling
Vitals:
HP (12/12) AC (16/12/14), DR2/Silver, Fort (+3) Ref (+1) Will (+1) +2 vs divination spells
Primalist Urban Bloodrager (1)
Skills:
Initiative (+2) Perception/Sense Motive (+4) Diplomacy/Intimidate(+8) Bluff (+9)

Caring not about anything as mundane as 'danger', Kalem surges forward to reach Lamm.

Acrobatics to avoid Lamm AOO: 1d20 ⇒ 6

He knew that he was going to be leaving himself open, but Lamm seemed to only be armed with his crossbow, and Kalem would be damned before he let the monster get to the door without a fight.

Double move, will provoke Lamm AOO, but will block the door so he can't escape

The Exchange

Human Mesmerist 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +2; R +4; W +1 | CMB+2; CMD 14 | Speed 30 ft | Init +2 | Sap: +2 (1d6+2) | Perc +2

Ilsa gasps as Quinlan's bolt flies into the mechanism, having just resolved to do whatever the man said to learn Briget's location.

"NO!" she screams. "Don't kill him! He's the only one who knows how to find my niece!"

Ilsa reflexively backs away from the massive crocodile, skirting around it.

"Where is Briget?!" she screams at the man, her eyes black pinpricks of darkness.

Casting Lullaby, DC 14 Will

Painful Stare target: -2 Will


Link to Google Slides Maps for CotCT

Round 1 Summary:

Quinlan: Attacks with crossbow
Varor: Draws Scimitar
Bashiel: Ready attack against alligator with a 5, it will miss
Gregor: Moves You can move your own token now, but I moved you to the wrench
Kalem: Moves up to Gaedren
Ilsa: Cast Lullaby

Quinlan fires another crossbow bolt, this time at Gaedren. It grazes off his arm, drawing a trickle of blood, as Kalem runs around the perimeter and behind Gaedren. Bashiel readies his blade, watching the alligator closely and preparing to strike. As Ilsa tries to force Gaedren into a stupor, the wily old man manages to shake off the effect of the spell, his rage carrying him through.

"You vile little gutter rats! You're nothing! Nothing!" He takes a 5' step away from Kalem then fires his crossbow at Quinlan, but the tiny bolt is deflected by the tiefling's armor. Gaedren snarls as he reloads the crossbow.

Back in the pit, denied its previous target, the alligator twirls about and lunges upwards towards Tom, trying to thrust itself vertically but fails. As it does, Bashiel swings in an effort to end the thing's miserable life but he seems surprised by the beast's agility and quickness and the blade goes wide.

GM Rolls:

Gaedren's save vs Lullaby: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (10) + 6 - 2 = 14
Opening Rolls for Round 2
Argh... who to attack, so many people for Gaedren to hate... I guess we'll go random
Clockwise from Ilsa: 1d6 ⇒ 2 Quinn
Ranged Attack w/ Hand Xbow against Quinlan: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13Miss
Gobblegut's Random Target Selector, clockwise from Quinlan: 1d6 ⇒ 3 Tom!
Gobblegut's Swim Surge, DC 20: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (1) + 12 = 13 Phew! Fail

GM Notes:

Gaedren: -2 hp, -2 bolts, -2 Will
Gobblegut: n/a

Round 2, Go!


hp: 10/10; AC 15 ff 12 t 13; fort 2, ref 5, will 2; bab 0, melee 0, ranged 3; CMB 0, CMD 13; init +4; perc +6; insp 7/7; harrow pts 2/2; daemon-spawn tiefling investigator/1
skills:
bluff 5, diplo 5, disable 9, escape 3, know arc 8, know dungeoneering 7, know eng 7, know history 8, know local 7, know planes 8, know religion 7, perc 6, spellcraft 7

Quinlan looks around for a boathook or some other implement to use to grab the rope TOm is suspended from and pull him to the side and over solid planking. If that's possible then the rope can be cut and the boy released and moved away out of range of the gator.


Male Halfling HP 11/11 | F+3 R+7 W+4 | AC 19/15/15 | Init+6 | Perc+8 | DD+7 | CMB -1; CMD 13 | Halfling, Unchained Rogue 1

Gregor desperately looks on as the massive alligator jumps for Tom only missing him by an inch. "Tom! Help me get Tom to safety!" He shouts pleading with those not dealing with Lamm.

He looks down at the wrench and attempts to pull it up. Please please please

Anything special to deal with the wrench? I don't want to risk dropping him.

The Exchange

Human Mesmerist 1 | HP 11/11 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +2; R +4; W +1 | CMB+2; CMD 14 | Speed 30 ft | Init +2 | Sap: +2 (1d6+2) | Perc +2

Ilsa looks on in frustration, not knowing what to do. The darkness presses in around her, the evil man's dark words adding to the cacophony of the monsters so close around her.

"WHERE'S BRIGET!" she screams.

Suddenly the ground beneath the man turns dark and slick, as if a portal into Ilsa's mind had opened directly beneath him. Dark forms swirl around at his feet. All he has to do is fall and join them.

Kind of a nightmare-flavored casting of Grease, DC 15 Reflex


Link to Google Slides Maps for CotCT

Hmm. Things are pretty chaotic. Quinlan, give me a perception check. Gregor, unfortunately, the crossbow bolt has firmly locked the rig in place. It will take a full round action to dislodge the bolt without accidentally releasing the winch. Alternatively, a DC 12 Strength check will let you pull the rope enough to lift Tom out of reach, but you'll have to continue holding it.

Gaedren's reflex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

The old man sneers at Ilsa, ignoring one spell after another. "You'll never know, sweet meat."


Tiefling
Vitals:
HP (12/12) AC (16/12/14), DR2/Silver, Fort (+3) Ref (+1) Will (+1) +2 vs divination spells
Primalist Urban Bloodrager (1)
Skills:
Initiative (+2) Perception/Sense Motive (+4) Diplomacy/Intimidate(+8) Bluff (+9)

Dropping his hammer, Kalem leapt at Lamm in an attempt to pin him down...

Grapple: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

"Get your asses over here and help subdue this bastard!"

The man only had a crossbow. Pin him down, and no shooting or running. Still, this ran the risk of getting shivved. At the very least he hoped that Bashiel could get over there in time to help in the man down.


Link to Google Slides Maps for CotCT

Damn. Tactics. :-p That's enough to overcome his CMD.

Kalem comes up behind Gaedren and, as the old man's dagger is still sheathed at his hip, suffers no risk of retribution. Wrapping powerful arms around the frail old man, putting him into a grapple proves easy enough. "Agg! I should have killed you along with your mewling little brother!"


hp: 10/10; AC 15 ff 12 t 13; fort 2, ref 5, will 2; bab 0, melee 0, ranged 3; CMB 0, CMD 13; init +4; perc +6; insp 7/7; harrow pts 2/2; daemon-spawn tiefling investigator/1
skills:
bluff 5, diplo 5, disable 9, escape 3, know arc 8, know dungeoneering 7, know eng 7, know history 8, know local 7, know planes 8, know religion 7, perc 6, spellcraft 7

perc: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


Link to Google Slides Maps for CotCT

@ Quinlan:
At the side of the room where Ilsa and Gaedren, you see an old mooring hook. The shaft is snapped but it still gives an extra 5' reach. It would mean leaning over the gator bit but it's possible.


Tiefling
Vitals:
HP (12/12) AC (16/12/14), DR2/Silver, Fort (+3) Ref (+1) Will (+1) +2 vs divination spells
Primalist Urban Bloodrager (1)
Skills:
Initiative (+2) Perception/Sense Motive (+4) Diplomacy/Intimidate(+8) Bluff (+9)

Squeezing him Kalem hissed back "You're right. You should have!"


Male Halfling HP 11/11 | F+3 R+7 W+4 | AC 19/15/15 | Init+6 | Perc+8 | DD+7 | CMB -1; CMD 13 | Halfling, Unchained Rogue 1

Desperate to get Tom away from dangerous with the wench now locked in place he jumps for the rope, using every ounce of strength he attempts to pull it in.

Strength: 1d20 ⇒ 16

"He's an old decrepit man! I have to keep Tom away from that damn thing." He shouts back straining with the rope.


hp: 10/10; AC 15 ff 12 t 13; fort 2, ref 5, will 2; bab 0, melee 0, ranged 3; CMB 0, CMD 13; init +4; perc +6; insp 7/7; harrow pts 2/2; daemon-spawn tiefling investigator/1
skills:
bluff 5, diplo 5, disable 9, escape 3, know arc 8, know dungeoneering 7, know eng 7, know history 8, know local 7, know planes 8, know religion 7, perc 6, spellcraft 7

Quinlan heads to the side of the room, (between?) Ilsa and Gaedran, avoiding the grease, and grabs the mooring hook.


Male Human Paladin (Ghost Hunter) 1 | AC:16 T:11 FF:15 | HP: 10/11 | F+3 R+1 W+1 | Init +1 | Perc +4 | Active Status:: 2 STR damage, (Shield Stowed)

Bashiel's heart jumps in his chest as the alligator goes for the tied up Tom rather than anyone else. He glances at the increasingly desperate Gaedran and then focuses back on the alligator. I'll have to trust them to deal with Lamm. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if this beast touched Tom... it needs to die or be distracted long enough for Gregor to get his son down.

Bashiel moves further from Tom and then strikes, trying to pull the alligator's attention away from the boy.
Bardiche, 2hd, PA: 1d20 + 5 - 1 - 1 ⇒ (12) + 5 - 1 - 1 = 15 Uhhh, maybe Tom counts as flanking? :>
Damage: 1d10 + 6 - 2 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 6 - 2 + 3 = 15

After the swing, he notices Quinlan pick up the hook. "Good one! I'll keep it busy while you pull him free." To Gregor, Bashiel gasps out "Hold on, we'll get him!"

351 to 400 of 463 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Curse of the Crimson Throne by GM SnowHeart All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.