Curse of the Crimson Throne by GM SnowHeart

Game Master SnowHeart

Hardcover edition of the CotCT campaign run by GM SnowHeart.
Link to Maps
Link to Handouts
Link to Bashiel's Loot Table

Initiative:

[dice=Bashiel Eland]1d20+1[/dice]
[dice=Ilsa]1d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Kalem Darkborn]1d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Pel]1d20+6[/dice]
[dice=Quinlan]1d20+4[/dice]
[dice=Varor]1d20+6[/dice]
[dice=Zamanda]1d20+2[/dice]
-----------------
[dice=Enemy]1d20[/dice]
[dice=Enemy]1d20[/dice]
Rolls will be averaged and then each group will move as a block. Party actions will be resolved in the order they are posted. If a player hasn't posted within approximately 24 hours since the last GM update, the PC will either be botted or skipped.
Perception:
[dice=Quinlan]1d20+6[/dice]
[dice=Kalem Darkborn]1d20+4[/dice]
[dice=Bashiel Eland]1d20+4[/dice]
[dice=Ilsa]1d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Varor]1d20+2[/dice]
[dice=Zamanda]1d20+10[/dice]
[dice=Pel]1d20+1[/dice]


1,901 to 1,950 of 3,165 << first < prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | next > last >>

hp: 30/31; AC 19+2 (AC 15 ff 12 t 13); fort 3, ref 8, will 3; bab 3, melee 3, ranged 6; CMB 3, CMD 16; init +4; perc +11; insp 6/7; panache 5/5; harrow pts 2/2 | daemon-spawn tiefling investigator (empiricist)/3 swashbuckler (inspired blade)/1
skills:
acro 8, appraise 9, bluff 9, diplo 9, disable 12, escape 3, kn arc 9, kn dung 8, kn eng 8, kn hist 8, kn local 8, kn planes 9, kn rel 10, kn nob 9, kn nature 8, perc 12, sm 5, splcrft 9, umd 9

quinlan moves along with Bash, but glances back at Kalem, hoping he's gonna be okay...

Dark Archive

Human Mesmerist 4 | HP 35/35 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +3; R +6; W +8 | CMB+5; CMD 17 | Speed 30 ft | Init +2 | +1 Sap: +6 (1d6+3) | Perc +7

Ilsa tries to stay as close as she can to Bashiel and Pel, hardly daring to breathe.

I haven't confronted this--not really--but Briget may not be alive.
I must be prepared.

Without noticing, her fingers extend into decaying claws, then back again.

stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20


hp: 30/31; AC 19+2 (AC 15 ff 12 t 13); fort 3, ref 8, will 3; bab 3, melee 3, ranged 6; CMB 3, CMD 16; init +4; perc +11; insp 6/7; panache 5/5; harrow pts 2/2 | daemon-spawn tiefling investigator (empiricist)/3 swashbuckler (inspired blade)/1
skills:
acro 8, appraise 9, bluff 9, diplo 9, disable 12, escape 3, kn arc 9, kn dung 8, kn eng 8, kn hist 8, kn local 8, kn planes 9, kn rel 10, kn nob 9, kn nature 8, perc 12, sm 5, splcrft 9, umd 9

stealth: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7 forgot to roll this with my orig. post


Maps for WotW | Maps for CotCT

Bashiel and Pel, followed by some of the others, begin making their way down the western passage while Kalem forms a rear guard against the eastern passage.

Map updated. Please update your positions.

Despite the armor, Bashiel manages to be particularly quiet, moving slowly and mindful of his weaponry and the cramped quarters. Pel is not so fortunately, stumbling slightly on an irregular surface.

Ahead, Bashiel and Pel can see another chamber. Rank with the stink of decay and mud, this cavern contains four straw pallet and a low table covered with plates, cups and old bits of food. Moving about the room are four robed figures. They had been having a rather animated conversation but one of them suddenly stops and turns to look towards the passage Bashiel and Pel are coming down.

"What was that!? he hisses from beneath the cowl. It seems he heard something but has not seen you.

GM Rolls:
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16


Human Arcanist 4 | HP 29/29 | AC 12, T 12, FF 10 | CMD 12 | F +3, R +4, W +6* | Init +6 | Perc +1
Resources:
Harrow Points 3/3, AR 0/7, Spells - 1st: 1/5, 2nd: 1/3

Pel silently curses his clumsiness and bites his lip to keep himself from saying something in his frustration. If he can't trust himself to walk right, he's not about to try to bluff whoever spoke into thinking they are friendly.

Not knowing what exactly they may or may not face, Pel pulls out his crossbow again and loads it with a bolt.

I'm good with Pel's positioning on the map.


HP (11/40) AC (17/11/16) DR2/Silver, Saves (7/3/4 +2 vs divination) Lvl 1 (3/3) Rage (6/11) Fire (0/3) Lvl 1 (2/3) Initiative (+2) Sense Motive/K-Local (+4) Perception (+6) Diplomacy/Intimidate(+12) Bluff (+17)

Without thinking, Kalem called out (in a voice as close to that as the cultist he talked to as possible, though muffled by his sleeve incase the man was there) ”It’s just me! Calm yourself.”

Bluff: 1d20 + 15 ⇒ (18) + 15 = 33


Male Human Paladin (Ghost Hunter) 4 | AC:21+2 T:11 FF:20+2 | HP: 17/36 | F+8 R+5 W+6 | Init +1 | Perc +7 | GS:2/2 LoH:2/4 | Active Status:: Shield Equipped.

Nice idea. I would've probably just rushed in :>

Bashiel draws back a little out of the potential line of sight of the four cultists. He raises a hand towards the group behind him, showing four fingers, then points to the room ahead.

If it sounds like the group in the room is heading towards the corridor, he'll prepare to slash the first cultist that comes into range with his bardiche. If it seems like Kalem's bluff has satisfied them, he'll make a series of hand gestures to suggest that the team goes in all at once to catch them off-guard.

Bluff to convey secret message: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

Assuming the cultists haven't rounded the corner by this point, Bashiel uses his hand to count down.


Maps for WotW | Maps for CotCT

Kalem... you're going to have to start rolling lower, please. :-p

The remaining cultists in the chamber look towards the passage, then turn away at Kalem's response. The first just growls, "Bloody clod! All that racket, quiet down or Vreeg 'll have your head."

With that, he turns back and continues talking to the others.

"How much longer do you expect we'll be here?"

"Who knows... One minute they're screaming for more subjects, the next they're pleased with the results. I'm just tired of feeding the sewer beast."

"Quit your whining, both o' you. It's all in Her divine service. We will free this city from the shackles of its flesh and be rewarded. For the Hunger."

The other three reply in unison, "For the Hunger."


Maps Female Aasimar Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 4 | HP 15/27 | AC 16 / T 12 / FF 14 | Fort +1 / Ref +4 / Will +4 | CMB 5 / CMD 17 | Initiative +2 | Perception +11 | Darkvision 60 feet | Bardic Performance 13/13 | Harrow Points 2/3 | Active Effects: None

Zamanda tightened her bow string, wondering how this was going to play out.


Male Human Paladin (Ghost Hunter) 4 | AC:21+2 T:11 FF:20+2 | HP: 17/36 | F+8 R+5 W+6 | Init +1 | Perc +7 | GS:2/2 LoH:2/4 | Active Status:: Shield Equipped.

Kalem, not sure exactly what your plan is now that you've fooled them, so I don't want to step on your toes if you have a follow up. If you do, go for it. The rest of my post below is if you choose not to:

Assuming Kalem doesn't follow up:
Bashiel finishes counting down and steps swiftly into the room and brings his bardiche to bear against these foul peddlers in both the living and the dead. He bursts out of his hiding place in a short charge (ending in the square most filled by the 'D3') and thrusts forward with the bardiche.

Bardiche, short charge (surprise round?), Pow Atk: 1d20 + 7 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (11) + 7 + 2 - 1 = 19
Bardiche damage, PA: 1d10 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 3 = 17

The thought of Briget or any other child being used by these madmen as 'subjects' or food for a sewer beast fills him with fury.


Human Arcanist 4 | HP 29/29 | AC 12, T 12, FF 10 | CMD 12 | F +3, R +4, W +6* | Init +6 | Perc +1
Resources:
Harrow Points 3/3, AR 0/7, Spells - 1st: 1/5, 2nd: 1/3

Like Bashiel said, ignore my spoiler below if you're going to try something else, Kalem.

You're not alone, Bash:

I put a red outline around the one I'm firing at.

Seeing Bashiel run into the room, Pel feels compelled to follow. Gripping his crossbow tightly, he moves a bit further in and releases a bolt at one of the cultists.

Assuming the top part of the map is north, Pel is moving one square to the west, then one square to the southwest.

Crossbow Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Damage?: 1d8 ⇒ 6

I only bothered with the damage roll as there's the ever-so-slight chance it might hit if the cultist is flat-footed... and has a really, really bad dex modifier, or something...


HP (11/40) AC (17/11/16) DR2/Silver, Saves (7/3/4 +2 vs divination) Lvl 1 (3/3) Rage (6/11) Fire (0/3) Lvl 1 (2/3) Initiative (+2) Sense Motive/K-Local (+4) Perception (+6) Diplomacy/Intimidate(+12) Bluff (+17)

Charge: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
Damage: 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (1, 6) + 7 = 14

No rage. Saving it for the boss fight, as these seem like mooks. And let’s roll with the surprise round.

Kalem has barely thought his plan through. Surprised to see that it worked he was thinking of a follow up when Bashiel charged in. Lifting his hammer he joined the attack. This works too.


hp: 30/31; AC 19+2 (AC 15 ff 12 t 13); fort 3, ref 8, will 3; bab 3, melee 3, ranged 6; CMB 3, CMD 16; init +4; perc +11; insp 6/7; panache 5/5; harrow pts 2/2 | daemon-spawn tiefling investigator (empiricist)/3 swashbuckler (inspired blade)/1
skills:
acro 8, appraise 9, bluff 9, diplo 9, disable 12, escape 3, kn arc 9, kn dung 8, kn eng 8, kn hist 8, kn local 8, kn planes 9, kn rel 10, kn nob 9, kn nature 8, perc 12, sm 5, splcrft 9, umd 9

surprise round if it happens:

Quinlan runs into the room, crossbow out and ready.

can only move on the surprise round... too far back to do more yet


Maps Female Aasimar Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 4 | HP 15/27 | AC 16 / T 12 / FF 14 | Fort +1 / Ref +4 / Will +4 | CMB 5 / CMD 17 | Initiative +2 | Perception +11 | Darkvision 60 feet | Bardic Performance 13/13 | Harrow Points 2/3 | Active Effects: None

Zamanda moves into the room.

I don't know where everyone else is on the map, since people are moving into the room and Kalem charged... I moved myself to a spot in the room, but I'm just assuming that it remains empty and that other people are in front of me. If that is not the case, then I stay in the hall and delay.


HP (11/40) AC (17/11/16) DR2/Silver, Saves (7/3/4 +2 vs divination) Lvl 1 (3/3) Rage (6/11) Fire (0/3) Lvl 1 (2/3) Initiative (+2) Sense Motive/K-Local (+4) Perception (+6) Diplomacy/Intimidate(+12) Bluff (+17)

I can’t see the map due to the great firewall of China. I’d assume that we’d have some time to move around a bit before engaging though.

Dark Archive

Human Mesmerist 4 | HP 35/35 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +3; R +6; W +8 | CMB+5; CMD 17 | Speed 30 ft | Init +2 | +1 Sap: +6 (1d6+3) | Perc +7

Ilsa follows the others, her heart pounding rapidly.

I'm guessing some dice need to be rolled...


Male Elf Cleric/4 4d8+(8 con)+(4 fc)=Hit Points 12/34. Initiative: +6. Perception +4 Speed: Walk 30 ft. AC: 12+2 Touch 12, Flat-footed 10, CMD 16, FCMD 14 . Saves: Fortitude: +6, Reflex: +3, Will: +6.

Varor follows behind everyone.

I can't get in to attack range until next turn.


Maps for WotW | Maps for CotCT

==Surprise Round==

Kalem charges into the room followed closely by Bashiel, the two of them swiping at the nearest of cultists while the rest of the parties rushes into the room behind them.

Both of their blows land true and, though badly injured by the attacks, both are still are their feet.

As it's a surprise round, every is able to take one move or one standard. As there is such a thing as a standard charge (when a full move isn't an option), that works for Kalem and Bashiel but that does not work for a ranged attack. Thus, I've updated everyone's position as best I'm able.

==Round 1==

Though taken by surprise, the chamber's occupants are not so shocked as to be stunned by the assault. Closest to Bashiel, the cultist reaches into her robes and calls forth the power of Urgathoa. Radiating out from her is a black web of energy. She then takes a step back out of danger.

All but Ilsa and Varor take 6 points of negative energy damage. Will DC 17 for half.

In the back, another casts a spell on Bashiel, giving him the urge to strike at his allies.

Bash, DC 12 Will save. Murderous Command.

A third, from the back, steps up and lays his hands on the cultist savaged by Kalem's assault... the wounds vanish before your eyes.

And he, grinning at Kalem as the power of Urgathoa heals his wounds, hits a switch on his staff, prompting a scythe-like blade to emerge. He swings and slices an arc of blood across Kalem's body.

Kalem takes 9 points, less DR.

Heroes, go!

Initiative (Cultists Go First):

Bashiel Eland: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9
Ilsa: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13
Kalem Darkborn: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7
Pel: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20
Quinlan: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 16
Varor: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Zamanda: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17
-----------------
Enemy: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
Enemy: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (18) + 7 = 25

GM Rolls:

Channel: 2d6 ⇒ (3, 3) = 6
CMW: 2d8 + 4 ⇒ (7, 3) + 4 = 14
Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
2d4 + 3 ⇒ (4, 2) + 3 = 9


HP (11/40) AC (17/11/16) DR2/Silver, Saves (7/3/4 +2 vs divination) Lvl 1 (3/3) Rage (6/11) Fire (0/3) Lvl 1 (2/3) Initiative (+2) Sense Motive/K-Local (+4) Perception (+6) Diplomacy/Intimidate(+12) Bluff (+17)

Will: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (16) + 4 = 20

Reeling in pain, Kalem gritted his teeth. He forced himself to stand firm. DC17 passed. 3 damage. Also 7 physical after DR.

Seeing the wounds close on his foe close, and assuming that he has no spellcasting powers, Kalem pushes his way past the man. As he does so he swings a false blow to try and force the man back...

acrobatics to avoid aoo: 1d20 ⇒ 2

Shyt

And goes straight for the injured cultist. The man was radiating a dark aura, and Kalem knew that he would have to be put down fast. It was clear that allowing all of them to stay up would mean that they would heal each other. Kill the casters first...

Hit with rage and infernal fire: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (19) + 8 = 27
Damage: 2d6 + 1d6 + 10 ⇒ (3, 6) + (1) + 10 = 20

His hammer erupting into flames, Kalem ignored the pain and swung...


Maps Female Aasimar Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 4 | HP 15/27 | AC 16 / T 12 / FF 14 | Fort +1 / Ref +4 / Will +4 | CMB 5 / CMD 17 | Initiative +2 | Perception +11 | Darkvision 60 feet | Bardic Performance 13/13 | Harrow Points 2/3 | Active Effects: None

Will Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Zamanda attacks the cultist outlined in red.

Attack with Bow: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

whiff


Male Human Paladin (Ghost Hunter) 4 | AC:21+2 T:11 FF:20+2 | HP: 17/36 | F+8 R+5 W+6 | Init +1 | Perc +7 | GS:2/2 LoH:2/4 | Active Status:: Shield Equipped.

Will save vs. Negative Energy: 1d20 + 4 - 1 ⇒ (5) + 4 - 1 = 8
Will save vs. Murderous Command: 1d20 + 4 - 1 ⇒ (10) + 4 - 1 = 13 *phew*

Bashiel's stance caves for a moment as he endures the unholy force that tears at him. He steadies himself in time for the spell, and his anger and determination allow him to shake it off before it forces him to do something truly awful. He winces and shakes his head to clear it.

Stepping forward, he brings the bardiche down in an arc towards the injured cultist. The attack is accompanied by an angered grunt.

Bardiche: 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (5) + 7 - 1 = 11
Bardiche damage: 1d10 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 6 + 3 = 11

After the attack, Bashiel calls upon Osiris again for protection and healing, touching a hand to his forehead. Afterwards, he holds his weapon at the ready, daring the cultists to approach his allies.

Lay on Hands: 1d6 ⇒ 4


Maps for WotW | Maps for CotCT

Bash’s attack may kill the one in combat with Bashiel (top-right]. I’ll have to check. If you’re attacking that one, give me a backup plan in case it is already dead.


hp: 30/31; AC 19+2 (AC 15 ff 12 t 13); fort 3, ref 8, will 3; bab 3, melee 3, ranged 6; CMB 3, CMD 16; init +4; perc +11; insp 6/7; panache 5/5; harrow pts 2/2 | daemon-spawn tiefling investigator (empiricist)/3 swashbuckler (inspired blade)/1
skills:
acro 8, appraise 9, bluff 9, diplo 9, disable 12, escape 3, kn arc 9, kn dung 8, kn eng 8, kn hist 8, kn local 8, kn planes 9, kn rel 10, kn nob 9, kn nature 8, perc 12, sm 5, splcrft 9, umd 9

will dc 17: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (20) + 3 = 23

Quinlan steps to the side to have a straight shot to red and fires.

to hit: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13
dmg if hits: 1d8 ⇒ 7


Male Elf Cleric/4 4d8+(8 con)+(4 fc)=Hit Points 12/34. Initiative: +6. Perception +4 Speed: Walk 30 ft. AC: 12+2 Touch 12, Flat-footed 10, CMD 16, FCMD 14 . Saves: Fortitude: +6, Reflex: +3, Will: +6.

Moving past everyone he can Varor takes a swing at the nearest cultist,-

Scimitar: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

-missing completely.

I can't help but notice that the first time that I do really bad in a combat scenario is also the first time I don't have my holy symbol on me.

If that guy is dead then I'd only be able to move forward again.

Dark Archive

Human Mesmerist 4 | HP 35/35 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +3; R +6; W +8 | CMB+5; CMD 17 | Speed 30 ft | Init +2 | +1 Sap: +6 (1d6+3) | Perc +7

Ilsa skirts the side of the room, looking for an opportunity to strike. The lump in her throat seems so large...it's all she can do to keep herself from vomiting.

The dark shapes around her grasp at her, and around these evil cultists, she can almost feel the breath on the back of her neck. The one that nearly scares her to death is here...so close.

In her nervousness, her attack is clumsy and doesn't come anywhere near the foe.

MW sap (painful stare): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 61d6 + 2 + 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 2 + (1) + 1 = 10
intimidate to demoralize: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14
Painful Stare target: -2 Will, possibly Shaken

Please assume I've used my swift action to do hypnotic stare on my target if I forget to say so...


Male Human Paladin (Ghost Hunter) 4 | AC:21+2 T:11 FF:20+2 | HP: 17/36 | F+8 R+5 W+6 | Init +1 | Perc +7 | GS:2/2 LoH:2/4 | Active Status:: Shield Equipped.

Unless they have some terrible AC, this is looking like a lot of whiffs :<


Human Arcanist 4 | HP 29/29 | AC 12, T 12, FF 10 | CMD 12 | F +3, R +4, W +6* | Init +6 | Perc +1
Resources:
Harrow Points 3/3, AR 0/7, Spells - 1st: 1/5, 2nd: 1/3

Will Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

Pel takes the full force of the negative energy attack, causing him to stumble for a moment. Had he been... injured? It's something he's never experienced before. As a Chelaxian, pain in general is a foreign concept to him.

Still, a moment after the the wave of energy hits, Pel grits his teeth and moves to strike back at one of the cultists. He utters a few words before twirling his hands in an intricate pattern and unleashing a pair of missiles at the target near Ilsa.

Magic Missile: 2d4 + 2 ⇒ (4, 1) + 2 = 7


Maps for WotW | Maps for CotCT

PCs' Actions:

Kalem: Hit (20)
Zamanda: Miss
Bash: Miss
Quin: Miss
Varor: Miss
Ilsa: Miss (plus demoralize, painful stare)
Pel: Magic Missile (7)

Kalem's attempt to weave through the cultists is thwarted by the old straw mats, a table and generally confined quarters. As he stumbles about, the cultist slashes at him again but misses wildly. Kalem's blow, however, strikes true and practically destroys one of the man's arms. From the back, Pel fires off a magic missile and the force projectiles slash into one of the cultists priests. The rest of the party's attacks go wild and fail to connect.

The cultists respond with unholy ferocity. Locked in a mortal struggle with Kalem, the scythe wielding cultist lands another deadly blow, slashing a wicked gash in Kalem's thigh. (11 points of damage, less DR.)

Next to Ilsa, the cultist seems shaken but not broken. He carefully watches her movements and manages to get a spell off; his hand is overlaid with the ghostly shape of a ghoul's claws which he swipes at Ilsa's form. (Ghoul Touch, DC 14 Fort or Paralyzed. If she fails her save, he takes a 5' step to the east and draws a morningstar. If she succeeds, he takes a 5' step to the south.)

In back, one of the cultists channels the unholy power of Urgathoa once more, cackling, "We shall feast on your corpses!" (7 points negative energy; Will DC 17 for half.)

The last of them casts a defensive spell, triggers his scythe, and begins a careful approach, mindful of Bashiel's reach. (5' step)

GM Rolls:

AoO @ Kalem: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5 2d4 + 3 ⇒ (4, 2) + 3 = 9 - miss
Cultist @ Kalem: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19 2d4 + 3 ⇒ (4, 4) + 3 = 11
Cast Defensively (Ghoul Touch): 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (13) + 10 = 23
Channel: 2d6 ⇒ (1, 6) = 7

Dark Archive

1 person marked this as a favorite.
Human Mesmerist 4 | HP 35/35 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +3; R +6; W +8 | CMB+5; CMD 17 | Speed 30 ft | Init +2 | +1 Sap: +6 (1d6+3) | Perc +7

Ilsa's nightmares become all too real as the cultists grasps at her with the ghoulish claws. Her heart skips a beat and she is very nearly paralyzed in fear. She takes the full brunt of the wave of negative energy, unable to raise any resistance to it.

But something stirs inside the woman.

I am not leaving here without finding out what happened to Briget! Never!

She rallies, and abruptly her eyes are black orbs glowing with necromatic energy. She stares at the cultist that had attacked her and wills him to run away.

Cast Cause Fear vs. my hypnotic stare target, DC 15 Will save . However, three things to note: 1) Nightmare power: The target of the hypnotic stare rolls twice on all Will saves versus fear, taking the lower result. 2) my target has a -2 Will save for my hypnotic stare.
3) I have the Memorable trait, which increases the duration of the fear effect by 1 round (I've included it below).

fort save vs. paralysis: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14
will save vs. negative energy: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
cause fear duration (rounds): 1d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

I took the liberty of moving the cultist 5' step to the south since I made my save. Also, please note that (last round) my demoralizing debuff only works if I hit, which I didn't. He did still have a -2 Will because of my stare.


Maps for WotW | Maps for CotCT
Ilsa Dreambind wrote:


She rallies, and abruptly her eyes are black orbs glowing with necromatic energy.
[dice=fort save vs. paralysis]1d20+3

Whew! I mean, not that he was gearing up for a coup de grace or anything...<_<


Male Human Paladin (Ghost Hunter) 4 | AC:21+2 T:11 FF:20+2 | HP: 17/36 | F+8 R+5 W+6 | Init +1 | Perc +7 | GS:2/2 LoH:2/4 | Active Status:: Shield Equipped.

Do we have a verdict on that cause fear? Bashiel will probably try to finish that cultist off if they somehow (miraculously) managed to make two saves.


Maps Female Aasimar Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 4 | HP 15/27 | AC 16 / T 12 / FF 14 | Fort +1 / Ref +4 / Will +4 | CMB 5 / CMD 17 | Initiative +2 | Perception +11 | Darkvision 60 feet | Bardic Performance 13/13 | Harrow Points 2/3 | Active Effects: None

Will Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6

Zamanda realizes if they don't take these guys down soon, this negative energy damage is going to overwhelm them (or at least her), so instead of staying back and using her bow, she walks forward and casts burning hands.

15 foot cone, encompassing the cultists outlined in red and green

Burning Hands Damage: 3d4 ⇒ (3, 4, 3) = 10 (fire damage, will set flammable things on fire, DC 14 for half damage)


HP (11/40) AC (17/11/16) DR2/Silver, Saves (7/3/4 +2 vs divination) Lvl 1 (3/3) Rage (6/11) Fire (0/3) Lvl 1 (2/3) Initiative (+2) Sense Motive/K-Local (+4) Perception (+6) Diplomacy/Intimidate(+12) Bluff (+17)

Will: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19
Passed again! Kalem is tanking more damage than I thought he could. If not for the 2 passed will saves and DR he’d be down right now...

The wave of energy washed over Kalem once again. Perhaps it was his tainted blood, but it was doing less damage to him than it should. But the scythe though? That was hurting, and he was losing blood fast. ”To me! Flank this one.”

Once Kalem has the flank...
Hit with flank: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18
Damage: 2d6 + 10 ⇒ (5, 3) + 10 = 18


Maps for WotW | Maps for CotCT

Cultist's save vs. Cause Fear: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 6 - 2 = 23 - passed Urgathoa be praised!
Almost forgot...Cultist's save vs. Cause Fear: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 6 - 2 = 23 Praised indeed!


Male Human Paladin (Ghost Hunter) 4 | AC:21+2 T:11 FF:20+2 | HP: 17/36 | F+8 R+5 W+6 | Init +1 | Perc +7 | GS:2/2 LoH:2/4 | Active Status:: Shield Equipped.

You gotta be kidding, lol. I should not have said anything about that save.

Will vs. negative energy: 1d20 + 4 - 1 ⇒ (10) + 4 - 1 = 13

Bashiel wilts under the assault of necrotic energies. He takes a long, raspy breath that quickly turns to a wet cough. Blood dribbles out of his mouth as he grimly readies to take another swing with the bardiche.

A couple of options based on what's still up. If the green outlined enemy is still kicking after Zamanda's sweet burning hands damage: Bashiel swings his bardiche down on the badly weakened cultist, hoping to end him before he can summon some other terrible magic.

Alternatively, if green is down and the cultist to the southwest that's been channeling has a holy symbol out: Bashiel turns the bardiche towards the cultist responsible for calling upon Urgathoa's blight and tries to sunder his holy symbol.

Or if there's no holy symbol (or its a tattoo or something): Bashiel strikes out at the cultist channeling Urgathoa's blight, aiming to bring that cultist down before he can overwhelm them.

For either the attack vs. an enemy or the sunder attempt:
Bardiche, Pow Atk: 1d20 + 7 - 1 ⇒ (14) + 7 - 1 = 20
Bardiche damage: 1d10 + 6 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 6 + 3 = 16

After his attack, Bashiel steps aside to bring his weapon to bear against the injured cultist to the west. The suddenly looming polearm distracts the foe long enough for Kalem to get in there.


Male Elf Cleric/4 4d8+(8 con)+(4 fc)=Hit Points 12/34. Initiative: +6. Perception +4 Speed: Walk 30 ft. AC: 12+2 Touch 12, Flat-footed 10, CMD 16, FCMD 14 . Saves: Fortitude: +6, Reflex: +3, Will: +6.

Will vs. negative energy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8 I don't know why I even tried.

Varor figures that there is enough pressure on the other side that he can go over and help Kalem with his fight. Attack in the one that Kalem's attacking, unless he's already been downed. In that case I'm going after the one behind him.

Scimitar: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 191d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2 Oh My God! I might actually get a scratch on someone.


Human Arcanist 4 | HP 29/29 | AC 12, T 12, FF 10 | CMD 12 | F +3, R +4, W +6* | Init +6 | Perc +1
Resources:
Harrow Points 3/3, AR 0/7, Spells - 1st: 1/5, 2nd: 1/3

Will Save: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12

Pel once again takes the full force of the negative energy wave. He can't help but think, I've felt better.

The fact that the cultist had the audacity to say he and his fellow cultists are going to feast on Pel and his companions is more than a little off-putting. Pel can't help but grind his teeth for a brief moment before taking a deep breath and resolving to end the cultists.

The evil bastards had done who knows what with Ilsa's niece and want to eat them. The cultists' existence needs to be ended. And now.

Drawing most of what remained of his inner reservoir, Pel channels it into one of his two remaining spells, unleashing it at one of the cultists.

Using one point from my arcane reservoir to increase the caster level of my Magic Missile by 2 with the Potent Magic arcanist exploit.
Aiming the attack at whichever cultist looks the least injured.

Magic Missile: 3d4 + 3 ⇒ (4, 2, 3) + 3 = 12


Maps for WotW | Maps for CotCT

PCs' Actions:

Ilsa: Cast Cause Fear
Zamanda: Cast Burning Hands
Kalem: Attack - hit
Bash: Attack priest at SW - hit
Varor: ATTACK (poke)
Pel: Magic Missile
Quin (bot): Ranged attack and hit

Botting Quinlan
Quinlan's Will Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8 Fail. He takes 7 damage.
Quinlan's Ranged Attack on Staggered Foe: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (18) + 5 = 23 Dmg if hit: 1d8 ⇒ 5 Hit!

Ilsa fires off a spell at the cultist who has squared off against her and he cackles madly as he shrugs off the magic. "You'll be consumed by the Hunger!" He looks like he's about to leap back to attack Ilsa when Zamanda steps forward and incinerates him. He collapses to the ground, screaming as the stink of burned flesh mixes with the already foul odors in the air.

Kalem slams his weapon into the scythe-wielding cultist, ending him as his chest deflates under the hammer blow. Varor steps up into the empty space and slashes at the energy-channeling priest just as a trio of magic missiles come arcing in from Pel and Bashiel's bardiche cuts into the man. Despite the assault, he is still standing.

The two remaining cultists look less confident in victory as two of their number are dropped and they are themselves at death's door, but their desperation only increases their ferocity and they fight to the death.

The priest takes a careful step back before lifting his unholy symbol in defiance and calling forth another blast of negative energy. The badly burned but surviving cultist then moves to protect the priest and swings at Bashiel.

11 points of Negative Energy; Will DC 17 for half. If Bashiel's AC is 19 or lower, he takes 9 points from a scythe attack.

Heroes, go! One successful attack will likely drop each, they are both very badly injured.

GM Rolls:

Save vs. Cause Fear done above
Green Reflex: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17 - fail 10 fire
Red Reflex: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 6 + 2 = 27 - pass 5 fire
Channel: 2d6 ⇒ (5, 6) = 11
Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (15) + 4 = 19 2d4 + 3 ⇒ (3, 3) + 3 = 9


HP (11/40) AC (17/11/16) DR2/Silver, Saves (7/3/4 +2 vs divination) Lvl 1 (3/3) Rage (6/11) Fire (0/3) Lvl 1 (2/3) Initiative (+2) Sense Motive/K-Local (+4) Perception (+6) Diplomacy/Intimidate(+12) Bluff (+17)

Will: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22
5 damage taken
Hit: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Damage: 2d6 + 10 ⇒ (4, 1) + 10 = 15

Having finished off one scythe wielding cultist, Kalem makes his way to the second. Gritting his teeth through the pain, he resists his body’s desperate calls to lie down and die. Instead he brings his hammer down at the cultist and says ”I’ve got this one! Stop him before he blasts us again!”


hp: 30/31; AC 19+2 (AC 15 ff 12 t 13); fort 3, ref 8, will 3; bab 3, melee 3, ranged 6; CMB 3, CMD 16; init +4; perc +11; insp 6/7; panache 5/5; harrow pts 2/2 | daemon-spawn tiefling investigator (empiricist)/3 swashbuckler (inspired blade)/1
skills:
acro 8, appraise 9, bluff 9, diplo 9, disable 12, escape 3, kn arc 9, kn dung 8, kn eng 8, kn hist 8, kn local 8, kn planes 9, kn rel 10, kn nob 9, kn nature 8, perc 12, sm 5, splcrft 9, umd 9

will dc 17: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9 not good

Quinlan downs a potion to heal his wounds, being at death's door himself.

clw: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8


Maps for WotW | Maps for CotCT

Kalem, with a 5' step, you will be adjacent to both. Do you want to take out the scythe-wielder or the caster (who is further back and likely only reachable by Bashiel or someone with a ranged attack)?


HP (11/40) AC (17/11/16) DR2/Silver, Saves (7/3/4 +2 vs divination) Lvl 1 (3/3) Rage (6/11) Fire (0/3) Lvl 1 (2/3) Initiative (+2) Sense Motive/K-Local (+4) Perception (+6) Diplomacy/Intimidate(+12) Bluff (+17)

Thank you. The caster then.


Male Human Paladin (Ghost Hunter) 4 | AC:21+2 T:11 FF:20+2 | HP: 17/36 | F+8 R+5 W+6 | Init +1 | Perc +7 | GS:2/2 LoH:2/4 | Active Status:: Shield Equipped.

@Snow: Did Bashiel manage to sunder the (un)holy symbol last round or not? I think you might have missed the sunder attempt (which I assume was valid because the cultist used his symbol this round to channel again). Kinda my fault though for making my last post a 3-step decision tree with the sunder being in the middle. :>

LOW KEY EDIT: I'm kinda hoping the sunder attempt worked because that's enough incoming damage to bring Bashiel into the negatives.


Maps for WotW | Maps for CotCT

Ah, Bashiel, thanks for highlighting that. He does have a holy symbol. It is iron (not wood), probably a half-inch thick. Let me know if Bashiel would still want to proceed with a Sunder attempt with that knowledge, or if he'd rather resolve against the cultist.


Male Human Paladin (Ghost Hunter) 4 | AC:21+2 T:11 FF:20+2 | HP: 17/36 | F+8 R+5 W+6 | Init +1 | Perc +7 | GS:2/2 LoH:2/4 | Active Status:: Shield Equipped.

Darn, I'd assumed wooden (oh-so-many holy symbols in campaigns are wooden for some reason). Iron is a lot of hardness to get through, IIRC. I guess Bashiel made an attack directly at the cultist instead.

Will save vs. negative energy: 1d20 + 4 - 1 ⇒ (17) + 4 - 1 = 20

Bashiel barely hangs on through the assault, coughing up blood and worse as his body is wracked by the negative energy. The subsequent scythe blow sends him reeling backward, and only a quick placement of his bardiche behind him keeps him on his feet.

Bashiel is staggered, at 0 HP

He steps back, making one last swing of his weapon against the scythe wielding cultist before collapsing from his wounds.

Bardiche: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10
Bardiche damage: 1d10 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

Despite being unconscious, uncannily intelligible whispers escape Bashiel's mouth.

"Օսիրիսը փրկություն է բերում այս բարի եւ հզոր աշակերտի վրա: Թող նա դեռ անցնի ձեր գիրկը, քանի որ նրա փորձությունները հենց հիմա սկսվում են: Մենք կոչ ենք անում ձեզ ոչ ողորմության համար, այլ քաջալերանքի համար, ձեր սուրբ զորության մի մասը բաժանելիս, որպեսզի գայթակղվող հոգու հոգիները կարողանան դատել..."

If you know Ancient Osiriani:
He is speaking prayers to Osiris. Though from the very archaic phrasing, it doesn't sound like Bashiel himself is speaking.


Maps Female Aasimar Arrowsong Minstrel Bard 4 | HP 15/27 | AC 16 / T 12 / FF 14 | Fort +1 / Ref +4 / Will +4 | CMB 5 / CMD 17 | Initiative +2 | Perception +11 | Darkvision 60 feet | Bardic Performance 13/13 | Harrow Points 2/3 | Active Effects: None

Will Save: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 7

Zamanda collapses to the ground, unconscious from the overwhelming negative energy.

Dark Archive

Human Mesmerist 4 | HP 35/35 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +3; R +6; W +8 | CMB+5; CMD 17 | Speed 30 ft | Init +2 | +1 Sap: +6 (1d6+3) | Perc +7
GM Snowheart wrote:

Cultist's save vs. Cause Fear: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 6 - 2 = 23 - passed Urgathoa be praised!

Almost forgot...Cultist's save vs. Cause Fear: 1d20 + 6 - 2 ⇒ (19) + 6 - 2 = 23 Praised indeed!

I can see how you are going to be. Challenge accepted.

Ilsa stands stunned for a moment, reeling under the weight of the negative energy. Her nightmares were made manifest here in these catacombs, with things happening here beyond her greatest fears.

Whatever 'magic' she had utilized before failed her in her moment of greatest need. For a moment, the glowing orbs overlaying her eyes flicker and dim, and she appears frightened as her companions stagger and fall around her.

NO! No...not like this...

Summoning the last of her reserves and the last of her hope, she draws her sap and, while the last cultist is distracted by Kalem, brings it down with fury on the back of his head.

will save: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

MW sap (painful stare, flank): 1d20 + 5 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 5 + 2 = 231d6 + 2 + 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 2 + (3) + 1 = 9 Swift action to make this my hypnotic stare target
intimidate to demoralize: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (8) + 10 = 18
Painful Stare target: -2 Will, possibly Shaken


Maps for WotW | Maps for CotCT

Ilsa steps up and with a reservoir of energy she didn't know she had, brings the sap down squarely on the back of the cultist's head. He drops to the ground like a sack of potatoes.

Over the sounds of your panting and weapons and the slow flicker and pop of some hay burning in the corner, you hear commotion from deeper in the warren. It doesn't sound like it's coming towards you, but you've definitely been heard.

Dark Archive

Human Mesmerist 4 | HP 35/35 | AC 15; Tch 12; FF 13 | F +3; R +6; W +8 | CMB+5; CMD 17 | Speed 30 ft | Init +2 | +1 Sap: +6 (1d6+3) | Perc +7

We're gonna need another wand of CLW. First, this combat is going to use up most of our first one ;P, and second, if we ever have circumstances where we need to heal up in a hurry, someone with UMD could use the second so we heal up twice as fast.

Ilsa groans as she sees a thousand small wounds all over her body, as if the negative energy had been ripping her apart from the inside.

"What...was that?" she asks. "Is everyone okay? Oh, no!" she says as she rushes over to the fallen Zamanda.

Varor, you have some help available and then we'll see who needs topping off with the wand/potions?


Male Human Paladin (Ghost Hunter) 4 | AC:21+2 T:11 FF:20+2 | HP: 17/36 | F+8 R+5 W+6 | Init +1 | Perc +7 | GS:2/2 LoH:2/4 | Active Status:: Shield Equipped.

Roll to stabilize: 1d20 + 1 - 1 ⇒ (14) + 1 - 1 = 14

Bashiel's uncanny whispering continues, but at least it looks like he's not bleeding to death on the floor.

1,901 to 1,950 of 3,165 << first < prev | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Curse of the Crimson Throne by GM SnowHeart All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.