Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Curse of the Crimson Throne

Game Master Euan


1,351 to 1,400 of 11,587 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>

half-elf
today's stuff, various:
Saves: ------------- HP: 96 Fort:12 Ref:15 Will:10 AC: 24 T:24 FL:14 Mutagen: Dex/Wis, lasts 20 minutes

The conversation of right and wrong judgment leaves Dandi more depressed than usual, the world having lost its color throughout the night.

"wait, I'll go with you, Fondo..." Anything to look at something other than these four walls.


"Master Orisini is not taking visitors" …or so his faithful house servant tells you when you call on him Sunday afternoon. He suggests you try the next day - in the afternoon. Vencarlos house is a large affair, with a fencing school on the ground floor that looks like it hasn't seen use in some weeks and a large second and third floor for his residence.

When you all return the next afternoon, you are apologized too again, as Vencarlo is busy out of town that day, but he will return on the morrow. His servant tells you that, if you are free, his master would like to dine with you on Toilday (the following day) in his dining room.

Presuming (again let me know if I go too far!) that you agree, you finally meet the following evening.

Vencarlo Orisini's house is sumptuous and well appointed. He prefers the Korvosan colors of black and a rich deep red, but leaves the curtains open in most rooms to let in a great deal of light to cut the gloom that might otherwise surface with such dark colors. This leaves the rooms with a feeling of lightness unexpected.

Vencarlo is a gracious host. He has two servants waiting on you as you daintily take hors d'oeuvre. He keeps the chat light and on neutral topics that are generally pleasing to all and greatly aid in digestion. The main meal, taken in a large formal dining room which seats you all comfortably, is quite tasty and also not too heavy. A most pleasant meal.

After dinner, over drinks in the sitting room, he allows you to get to the point. "Enough of all this chit-chat. I take it you had something more you wished to see me about. Let us cap this wonderful evening with some serious talk and see where the night leads us!"

- - -

Majenko avoids the meal and stays with Briar. Presuming Briar does some archery practice, Majenko occasionally fetches arrows for him. He seems to enjoy the feat of strength required to pull them from the target.


Elf:
HP:113/113 AC: 21 (f17/t16)): K(Arc) +17, K(His) +7, K(Pl) +20, K(Rel) +20, Per +24, Sense +12, Spllcft +24/26

Briar does not waste his free time and tries to put it all to good use.

During the early afternoon, Briar will spend much time working on his archery, perfecting his bowcraft and skills so that he might be accurate and forceful with it.

"Thank you, friend Majenko, for your arrow retrieval! I had hoped we would put your service toward better efforts, but I hope you can enjoy the freedoms of this Citadel more than the cage you were in."

In the early mornings and evenings, Briar will spend time in contemplation and discussion with the whispers in the Void, the unnamed agents who fill his mind with words of power. He will delve deeply into their gifts, seeking to understand what they whisper to him, opening his mind to magic. Slowly and over time, Briar pushes deeper and deeper into their magics and begins to formulate his own connections and thoughts about magic itself and Nethys' role in it.

Magic is power. Magic is choice. Magic belongs to those who would weild it.


Male Human (Init +6 | Per +15 | Fort +16 Ref +15 Will +11* +1 enchant, +4 language & sonic | AC 31 (f25/t18) | CMD34*)

"Barael, I told you we should send a note by messenger, requesting an appointment with Sr. Orisini. Ah well, it gives us reason to take in a peformance. Perhaps a fair wench or two to distract you from Kroft?" Fondo chuckles as he leads the way toward his favorite cabaret pub.

. . . . .

Toilday harrow cast:

1d6 + 1d9 + 1d2 ⇒ (3) + (7) + (2) = 12 The Tangled Briar, Inverted
1d6 + 1d9 + 1d2 ⇒ (3) + (4) + (1) = 8 The Brass Dwarf
1d6 + 1d9 + 1d2 ⇒ (2) + (1) + (2) = 5 The Dance, Inverted
1d6 + 1d9 + 1d2 ⇒ (2) + (6) + (2) = 10 The Rabbit Prince, Inverted

The cards perplex me today...

Fondo follows Vencarlo's cues during the evening's entertainments. "Signore Orisini, you are too kind, sharing your home and the creations of your wondrous cook. And such a fine set of rapiers hanging above your mantle. I would be so honored to spend even one afternoon learning from you."

He happily shares stories of life on the road between Varisia's coastal towns. "I cannot say I enjoy the company of Sandpoint's goblin tribes, but there is a truly fair inkeep there. Tian, or so she claimed..."

When finally it comes time to discuss business, Fondo smiles. "Ah, signore, I've found there's nothing so serious as an evening of good company. But it's true, we did come seeking the favor of your thoughts."

Fondo gulps a bit before laying out his thoughts. Do I read him true? "A few evenings ago, we were tasked with capturing the accused kingslayer, Trinia. A most comely lass, but also most convincing in her tale of innocence. While we lack evidence to acquit her, I worry that she may be a scapegoat. Rumors fly about the Queen — loudly enough to give her or her loyalists cause to paint their own portrait of blame elsewhere."

Looking at the older gentleman, Fondo puases for a moment then speedily says, "Mind you, I do not myself accuse queen of killing king. Rumors alone might warrant such a diversion." He pauses. "What I mean to ask you is this: given what you know of the Queen, her court, the Guard and the Tribunal, what think you of the situation? How might such humble souls as we support a fair resolution of these matters?"


Male Human (PER +6 | FORT+15 REF+9 WILL+11 | AC 26 (F24, T14) CMD28)

Nikolay spends the days training with his sword and studying his spellbooks.

He does his best to enjoy dinner and avoid irritable subjects. He will consume several glasses of wine to keep himself sedated. He represses a 'sigh' when the Orisini finally agrees to talk about the dragon in the room.

"Hopefully this night will lead us somewhere because for now we are out of leads."

Nikolay pauses, unsure whether to be blunt--his usual tactic--and hopes those with smoother words might speak. (And ninja'd)


Fondo Barondo wrote:

Fondo gulps a bit before laying out his thoughts. Do I read him true? "A few evenings ago, we were tasked with capturing the accused kingslayer, Trinia. A most comely lass, but also most convincing in her tale of innocence. While we lack evidence to acquit her, I worry that she may be a scapegoat. Rumors fly about the Queen — loudly enough to give her or her loyalists cause to paint their own portrait of blame elsewhere."

Looking at the older gentleman, Fondo puases for a moment then speedily says, "Mind you, I do not myself accuse queen of killing king. Rumors alone might warrant such a diversion." He pauses. "What I mean to ask you is this: given what you know of the Queen, her court, the Guard and the Tribunal, what think you of the situation? How might such humble souls as we support a fair resolution of these matters?"

"Ahhh, direct and to the point then!" Vencarlo laughs lightly before proceeding, "I do not pretend to know the Queen or her intentions. I do know that many a lass, especially the comely ones," he winks at Dandilion, "have a way of carrying a mans heart beyond his head."

"Is poor Trinia a scapegoat? Who can say? Certainly not I. I do not join in the rumor and gossip of the court. True I have a sense of the people, and a foot in the court, but I keep my distance from the latter lest it corrupt me completely!" he laughs again, this time more earnestly.

"The tribunals of Korvosa are, by and large, honest affairs. While there are certain Magistrates I would not go before alone, when you team three of them up they balance each other well. And I hear in this case two of the Magistrates are to be high priests! That should help things along nicely."

"But you want to know what you can do! Such is the brashness of youth, always wanting to do something. That is a harder question when faced with things of such high import. If she is indeed innocent, and scape-goated as you say, then she is already doomed and there is nothing for it - unless you propose to go against the Queen! If she is innocent or guilty and the court is true - she'll be found out and freed or damned appropriately. "

"My advice to you my young friends is to sit back and watch the show from whatever vantage point fate has chosen to give you. Pay attention to the players and decide for yourselves, after a time of decent reflection, what its he truth of the matter. Then! and this is the hard part! Then you must decide whether or not you can act." he smiles broadly.


Male Human (Init +6 | Per +15 | Fort +16 Ref +15 Will +11* +1 enchant, +4 language & sonic | AC 31 (f25/t18) | CMD34*)

"You speak like a true fencing master, signore. I hear wisdom in your words. Even if my fears are true, fighting the Queen would be akin to bringing a rapier to fight a dragon. Well, perhaps with time and your tutoring that could be a fair fight, but I see your point."


half-elf
today's stuff, various:
Saves: ------------- HP: 96 Fort:12 Ref:15 Will:10 AC: 24 T:24 FL:14 Mutagen: Dex/Wis, lasts 20 minutes
DM_Euan wrote:
"Ahhh, direct and to the point then!" Vencarlo laughs lightly before proceeding, "I do not pretend to know the Queen or her intentions. I do know that many a lass, especially the comely ones," he winks at Dandilion, "have a way of carrying a mans heart beyond his head."and other stuff

Dandi shakes her head, trying to get a few wayward strands out of her eyes. Instead it only makes it worse, her once well coiffed hair floating around her face in a cloud before it settles again. So unsettled by her settling hair, it is a moment or more before she is up to speed again. She smiles at the men and wishes again that she'd brought Wraith with her this evening. but nooooo... you can't take "pets" to dinner parties, apparently. That dragon better not eat my friend!

sense motive to follow the weaving threads of conversation: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4

"We're going to a play? Will you come with us, Master Oricini?" He has pretty eyes for a man his age. It's a shame that one is broken. I wonder if it's a war wound....


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)
Fondo wrote:
"Barael, I told you we should send a note by messenger, requesting an appointment with Sr. Orisini. Ah well, it gives us reason to take in a peformance. Perhaps a fair wench or two to distract you from Kroft?" Fondo chuckles as he leads the way toward his favorite cabaret pub.

"What are you...?" Whether the red in Barael's face is blush or flush of anger, it matters little. "You seriously..." Barael finds it difficult to talk for the next several blocks. "Slap that chuckle..."

***
Barael enjoys the food, less the wine, more the cheese.
Fondo wrote:
"You speak like a true fencing master, signore. I hear wisdom in your words. Even if my fears are true, fighting the Queen would be akin to bringing a rapier to fight a dragon. Well, perhaps with time and your tutoring that could be a fair fight, but I see your point."

Deeper the nose, the more likely it stains brown, or gets stuck.

Orsini wrote:
"If she is innocent or guilty and the court is true - she'll be found out and freed or damned appropriately."

Does he only talk of Trinia? "She" could be the Queen, couldn't it?

"Master Orsini, thank you for providing such a rich dinner. This is by far the best I've eaten, like ever. Our friend, Fondo, sought you out to discuss Trinia. Would you be willing to entertain more talk of your sense of the people? Half the people condemn Trinia, the other, the Queen. The riots are a monster in the streets of our dear Korvosa. Are we to wait for the beast to slumber on its own? Or perhaps our ragtag brigade is more effective in the streets than in the courts." Barael stabs a fruit slice with his dagger. "Cressida trusts you, like a father, so you're alright with me."


Elf:
HP:113/113 AC: 21 (f17/t16)): K(Arc) +17, K(His) +7, K(Pl) +20, K(Rel) +20, Per +24, Sense +12, Spllcft +24/26

Briar relaxes in his bunk and stares at Majenko.

"Hey Majenko. Maybe we leave these walls tomorrow and go hunting. Out of the city. No far, but far enough. Go catch us some fish or a few rabbits...what do you think about that? It would be good to be out of here for a while, eh?"


Barael de Gare wrote:
"Master Orsini, thank you for providing such a rich dinner. This is by far the best I've eaten, like ever. Our friend, Fondo, sought you out to discuss Trinia. Would you be willing to entertain more talk of your sense of the people? Half the people condemn Trinia, the other, the Queen. The riots are a monster in the streets of our dear Korvosa. Are we to wait for the beast to slumber on its own? Or perhaps our ragtag brigade is more effective in the streets than in the courts." Barael stabs a fruit slice with his dagger. "Cressida trusts you, like a father, so you're alright with me."

"Truly the riots are a monster in the streets, but in time even that monster will tame itself - if we stop poking it with a stick. The people are restless, and regime change causes that. But we've not had a royal survive the throne yet, and it grates on the populace."

"I do not know what will calm the beast other than time. Well, certainly the Queen and fine folks like Cressida can do much, but for my part I help where I can, and that's usually by helping Cressida. Such a fine young lass." He smiles to himself.

- - -

Briar the Lesser wrote:
"Hey Majenko. Maybe we leave these walls tomorrow and go hunting. Out of the city. No far, but far enough. Go catch us some fish or a few rabbits...what do you think about that? It would be good to be out of here for a while, eh?"

Majenko looks decidedly nervous, perhaps even scared as he sits on an arrow poking out of the ground. "Hunting? I've never been out of the city in my life. I'm not sure I'd like it much. Too much open space. I suppose we could go, if you really mean to." He looks hopeful that you'll change your mind.


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

Rollplaying:
Sense Motive 1d20 ⇒ 3 Orsini, thy name is Petraus...

Barael nods at Orsini's words. "I'll raise a glass to that! What history has the throne that it claims the life of each who rises to it? You must have seen a lot in your time. Have you always resided in Korvosa?"


Barael de Gare wrote:
Barael nods at Orsini's words. "I'll raise a glass to that! What history has the throne that it claims the life of each who rises to it? You must have seen a lot in your time. Have you always resided in Korvosa?"

"Ay, Korvosa has been my home since I was a child. My parents came from Cheliax to settle here. There is, they say, a curse on the throne. No sitting monarch has ever had an heir of their own (though some had offspring before ascending to the throne) and no sitting monarch has ever died of old age."

"It's enough to keep me from desiring the exalted seat I can tell you!"

The rest of the evening passes uneventfully, and you return to your respective homes rising early the next day with a bit of a chill in the air.


Male Human (PER +6 | FORT+15 REF+9 WILL+11 | AC 26 (F24, T14) CMD28)

Assuming there is one Nikolay will head to the city's library to research the procedures for the upcoming trial.

It would be good to know what is going on and perhaps I might find some way to assist.


half-elf
today's stuff, various:
Saves: ------------- HP: 96 Fort:12 Ref:15 Will:10 AC: 24 T:24 FL:14 Mutagen: Dex/Wis, lasts 20 minutes

Dandi wakes early, spending time in her room with Wraith before going out to greet the others, singing happily to herself, and anyone else that might be in the apartment:

"Good morning, world! It's time to wake up,
the sheep's in the meadow but the shepherd is not.
and where is the boy that should watch over the ewe?
He's over yon hillock, sipping at dew..."

She laughs at herself, clearly in a wonderful wonderful mood. "I know, Wraith, I don't know a thing about sheep, but it sounded good, right? I wonder where Fondo is, he could tell me if it makes sense."

"Fondo! It's time to be awake! Uncle Charlie, would you have porridge this morning?"

She listens and waits and begins trying her hand at breakfast.

fixing breakfast, out of the goodness of her heart 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18


GM Rolls:
1d20 ⇒ 13

There is the Jeggare Library at the University of Korvosa. The library houses the largest collection of private journals in the city, including the original journals of Saint Alika Montlarion Jeggare, and Queen Domina. The library is secured by the Guard of Korvosa as well as an abjuration student from the Acadamae. In other words, it's hard to get access without permission.

You don't have permission and you don't know the Acadamae student in charge of security, so no access there either. It's possible that Cressida could get you in.

Knowledge, local 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (16) + 10 = 26

You do however know a bit about the procedure without the research bonus. :)

In most cases a single magistrate will act as judge while the two parties will put their case before him or her. However, the aristocracy, the various military orders, and the throne can request a tribunal instead of a single magistrate. In those cases three magistrates sit in judgement and the two parties are typically represented by their own magistrates as well to argue their cases.

The magistrates are permitted to use any means at their disposal, including torture, to obtain the truth of the matter, and all parties are expected to tell the truth. Most court trials are held without the public looking on - or limited to invited visitors only.

There are 23 magistrates in Korvosa, but most of them do nothing with the courts. Most handle other issues within the city (like taxation, weights and measures, etc). All are appointed by the throne and most of the current ones were appointed by the last King.

What else would you like to know?


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

Barael takes odd moments to study Majenko's stinger, and remembers his swift lights out on Trinia. "Majenko, your poison is pretty potent. I've seen spider venom, and imp poison. Had a chance to refine the imp mush myself actually." Barael produces the vial for shine, then pockets it quickly. "Only got it after it was dead. I know that there are those who extract snake venom without hurting the snake in order to create antivenom. Is there a like process with pseudodragons?" Don't say milk, don't say milk, don't say milk.
Diplomacy 1d20 ⇒ 16
***
Barael finds his way back up the walls inevitably. He pushes to fatigue, gauging when his upper body tires more quickly than his legs. He works on holding to the wall with one hand, while he points at those passing below. His hand gesture unobserved is that of a blowgun puff. If caught in arm motion observed, the gesture morphs into a blown kiss.

Sitting atop a vantage of one of the gates, Barael's thoughts turn to court proceedings. Bailiff, please escort your prisoner to the holding cell, pending sentence. Barael watches as the returning guards make their way across the courtyard. Turn your back on me, and you'll find yourself in contempt. Barael observes a pair of guards discussing matters of duty out of the sun's shine. Deliberations.
***
Barael finds Briar, and catches him up on the visit to Orsini's. "It was a fine meal. You should have joined us. Given you an idea that us humans can demonstrate better taste than a mess hall or a pot of porridge." Barael chuckles. "He agrees with you, with both of us. The fate of the girl is already in motion, and what will be decided should be as fair as we can hope for. He left the truth of it to our judgment." Barael braces against the chill. "He didn't give us much idea about how long it would be hear of the matter's resolution."

Barael turns to Nik. "Have you learned how long a trial might last? Maybe it will give us an idea of fairness of Trinia's trial if it lasts that long, or longer. Deliberation and thoroughness should take time, shouldn't it?"


Male Human (PER +6 | FORT+15 REF+9 WILL+11 | AC 26 (F24, T14) CMD28)
DM_Euan wrote:
What else would you like to know?

Would it be possible to research the decisions of the magistrates themselves to see who is fair and who is but an arm of the throne? Also, which magistrates are competent so that Trinia gets an adequate defense.

Nikolay will spend some time and gold if necessary trying to gain longerm access to the library.

Didn't realize I'd lost this priveledge. Damn you Lamm.


Elf:
HP:113/113 AC: 21 (f17/t16)): K(Arc) +17, K(His) +7, K(Pl) +20, K(Rel) +20, Per +24, Sense +12, Spllcft +24/26

A number of thoughts run through Briar's mind as Barael explains the big reveal from their dinner.

Really? One of them human types finally had the wisdom to see it clearly as I have from the start?
Could you not see that regardless of her innocence that Korvosa would be better for the process?
At least she wasn't an elf.
You spent an entire meal with the man only to reach the conclusion that we reached long ago?

"Oh, sounds like you had a delightful meal, Barael. Too bad I missed it while I was doing productive things," Briar says with a smirk.

"Barael, I should like to take Majenko outside the walls for a hunt in the coming days. Mayhaps you would like to join us?"


Nikolay Vasilevich wrote:
DM_Euan wrote:
What else would you like to know?

Would it be possible to research the decisions of the magistrates themselves to see who is fair and who is but an arm of the throne? Also, which magistrates are competent so that Trinia gets an adequate defense.

Nikolay will spend some time and gold if necessary trying to gain longerm access to the library.

Didn't realize I'd lost this priveledge. Damn you Lamm.

You could enroll in the University. That would get you access to the library. Call it 100 gold worth of hassle and the library is once again within your grasp.

Presuming you do:
It'll take the day, but you will find a section in the library that deals with legal decisions. It'll take longer than that though to really form an opinion of which Magistrate is fair. You don't know going in to each case who is actually guilty and who is innocent. Further the cases aren't fully documented the way they are today. There are sketchy notes on some, more detail on others, and they are not particularly well organized excepting loosely by date.

In the end you'll spend the first few days of the week on this course of action and not have anything substantive to show for it - yet. But you will have a greater understanding of the process and I'll keep it in mind should something else surface later.

Very cool by the way. Sorry it didn't get you more, but it is a first step...

- - -

Majenko looks at Barael like he's crazy. "Spit my venom in a jar for you?" He looks at Briar, "Go hunting?" He looks down. "What have I gotten myself into?!"

- - -

GM Rolls:
1d20 ⇒ 11

The hunting party travels a mile or two out of town to the south away from the main path which curves North. Majenko stays close to the group ever wary of what might be found in the trees and shrubs you pass near. Hunting is reasonable, but you don't get much more than a brace of rabbits and a near miss by a skunk. No large game heads your way however.


Elf:
HP:113/113 AC: 21 (f17/t16)): K(Arc) +17, K(His) +7, K(Pl) +20, K(Rel) +20, Per +24, Sense +12, Spllcft +24/26

As far as Briar is concerned, the hunting trip was a complete success.

Left the Citadel? Check.
Bonded with Dragon? Check.
Caught rabbits? Check.
Didn't get eaten by an owlbear? Check.

Briar looks at Barael...

"This trip good for you, Barael? About time we had some live targets. My archery is getting better and better," Briar says as he begins to gut and skin a rabbit. "This here is where I born. Under the open sky, trees, and in nature...and maybe this will explain why Korvosa and its people are such a mystery to me."

Briar cuts off a fresh hunk of rabbit haunch and tosses it to Majenko.

"Eat that, you dragon. Trust me, you'll like it...fresh meat! This is how your ancestors lived before they were called to service by magic users. Taste the barbarianism."


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

Barael pats his belly, remembering the meal, and hears Briar talk of his new endeavor. "Hunting? I've never been out of the city in my life. I'm not sure I'd like it much. Too much open space. I suppose we could go, if you really mean to." He looks hopeful that you'll change your mind.
***
Upon return from the hunt, Barael looks pleased. I nicked the small one. That was a pretty small one, quick too, but I still nicked him. Granted, Briar struck it true. Fine work with a bow, that one.

"Well, we came back in one piece, so we have that going for us. I've never had so much space to see something on approach. Granted, one in the wooded sections, it felt more... comforting, having, well, not corners, but things that you could get around, things you could put between you and someone, something, else." Kinda like that rabbit you're gutting there. It thought it had enough cover, till that arrow took it clean. That was a very nice shot. Wonder if all elves share that proficiency.


Male Half Elf (PER +8 | FORT+7 REF+5 WILL+13 | AC 23 (F23, T10) CMD10) Luckstone

Charlie feels as if his trip to the Vaults with is friends was cut short with the search for Trinia. Both he and his friends are put off by this. He will remedy this by grabbing a nice cask of ethanol solution and heading downstairs for a little (a lot) of R&R. He will return bleary-eyed and quiet perhaps on what would be tuesday.

Bah! these talkers are making the katzenjammers especially mean. I need to get out and taste a little freedom of the night for a time. Let time flow over me like a wave...


On Wealday, Desnus 22, 4707 Cressida again summons you to her office. In the morning, she requests your party to attend a meeting held in her office just after dinner that evening.


Field Marshal Kroft isn't alone when you arrive at her office - with her is a tall, rail-thin Shoanti man of 60 winters or so. He leans heavily on a walking stick, the polished femur of some giant beast crowned with a fire pelt cougar's skull. He wears a shirt decorated with countless jangling animal bones, many painstakingly scrawled with dozens of tiny symbols and glyphs. A bearskin cloak is draped about his bony shoulders, and warpaint in the shape of a skull decorates his face.

Thousand Bones

The Shoanti's eyes are milky as if he were blind, though he sees you clearly enough. He is joined by a regal red-feathered razor crow on his shoulder. He regards you impassively while Cressida introduces him as Thousand Bones, a Way-Keeper for the Skoan-Quah, the Clan of the Skull. She bids you to sit.

"Thousand Bones had a grandson. A grandson named Gaekhen, who was cut down in the recent unpleasantness we've had to face with the death of our King. It was mob violence to be sure, but the body was taken into a tunnel of the Dead Warrens. A brief guard expedition into the entrance found no body, but some skeletons rose up and drove my men back. I would like you to overcome these obstacles and recover Thousand Bones' grandson."

The old shaman cuts in and speaks with a deep voice, his words carefully chosen but delivered with a barely restrained anger.

"My people have worked hard to understand yours, yet it seems each day we see new examples of how your people work just as hard to foster old hatreds. My grandson is dead, beaten to death by cowards in your city street. I do not blame you, yet still Gaekhen is dead, and my son and his kin are not so forgiving as I. They wish to return to the Skoan-Quah in the Cinderlands, to join with Sklar-Quah and rally to war against Korvosa. This would be disastrous, for both our peoples. Amends must be made."

"Our ways are not as yours. If a body does not go whole to the fires of the gods, the smoke of a warrior's spirit cannot rise to the Great Sky. If I could send Gaekhens' body to the Great Sky with honor and dignity, his father and brothers would list to me and stay their wrath - the talks of peace between my people and yours can continue."

"But he was not just murdered. Hist body was taken from the scene of his death, sold by a peddler of corpses to a necromancer named Rolth, a criminal to both our people."

"I could surely lead a group of my finest warriors into your boneyard to retrieve Gaekhen's body, but this would be seen as an act of aggression by your people. No, it falls to you to make amends for what has been done. You must bring me Gaekhen's body, lest we be forced to recover him ourselves. Although it pains my heard to say it - we will not be gentle if it comes to this."

Thousand Bones then rises, nods curtly to Cressida, and leaves the room to return to his people to await the delivery of his grandson's body.

Cressida continues, "My regular Guard are not up to this task - we can handle Otyugh with our training and our poisons, but Undead are another thing entirely. Can you take care of this for me? Return from the Warrens with Gaekhen's body and let's avoid further antagonizing the Shoanti. The sooner the better, though it is late so if you can, start first thing tomorrow."


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

As Thousand Bones sets to leave the room, Barael quietly speaks, almost to himself.

Shoanti:
"Cowards may be the renders. Allow us to be the menders."

Barael turns to Briar and Nikolay, as well as Cressida. "I've never raised a weapon against an Undead. What are their weaknesses? Is there weaponry from the Citadel to this purpose, or might we stop by Master Saul's before we set out? And we would have found it difficult to bring Trinia's body unrecognized. Will we need a way to transport a body?"


Elf:
HP:113/113 AC: 21 (f17/t16)): K(Arc) +17, K(His) +7, K(Pl) +20, K(Rel) +20, Per +24, Sense +12, Spllcft +24/26

That's an old Shoanti.

Briar offers a deep head nod to the old one, showing some respect for his long life.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11 Know (Religion)

Skeletons? They were driven back by skeletons?

Dead Warrens, eh? Those Pharasmans we met earlier didn't look to competent...even for humans. Usually when people are tasked to a job, they don't fail so completely.

Briar considers his provisions.

"I could go now, but also tomorrow morning after prayers. It might be best to go after the early markets open. We might be able to purchase some holy water on the way over. That might be helpful."

Vampire, probably.


Male Human (PER +6 | FORT+15 REF+9 WILL+11 | AC 26 (F24, T14) CMD28)

"We're ready, I mean I," We? "well, I can't speak for everyone, but I'm definitely interested in assisting. I'm sure everyone else is, right?"

Nikolay looks around the room hoping to see nods.

We're ready.
Yes.
????????

Nikolay stares blankly into space.


Male Human (Init +6 | Per +15 | Fort +16 Ref +15 Will +11* +1 enchant, +4 language & sonic | AC 31 (f25/t18) | CMD34*)

Fondo scratches his head. What lark made her think we're abler in dealing death to death? "As you wish, ma'am." He bows to the Shoanti.

At a conference today. Won't have much attention left for PbP. :-) Feel free to DMPC. Don't forget his new penchant for Dirty Tricks


Male Half Elf (PER +8 | FORT+7 REF+5 WILL+13 | AC 23 (F23, T10) CMD10) Luckstone

Charlie whispers "I'm in"

I am on a short road trip to the big city today and tomorrow and probably won't be checking this until Saturday night, Sunday morning. Feel free to DMPC. I picked up Protection from Evil this level.


Male Human (PER +6 | FORT+15 REF+9 WILL+11 | AC 26 (F24, T14) CMD28)

If we wait until the morning, Nikolay swaps out prestidigitation for distrupt undead and color spray for a second shield.


Elf:
HP:113/113 AC: 21 (f17/t16)): K(Arc) +17, K(His) +7, K(Pl) +20, K(Rel) +20, Per +24, Sense +12, Spllcft +24/26

Briar arises early, eager to hear what the Whispers have to say to him..both about magic and the undead. With no clear voice, but clear intent, Briar will seek answers to questions ahead.

Upon waking, Briar will scribe the runic words from the whispers in his brain onto parchment, copying it twice, locking the magic into ink and paper for later use. -25gp. Scroll #X: MS, LC.

I hope these work.

Briar will don his well-watered armor, check his bowstrings, and quivers and pronounce himself ready for the Dead Warrens.

Briar goes to find Barael and Nikolay and then to rendezvous with the others.


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

Barael looks through the arrows he purchased while observing Briar. He elects to quiver cold iron arrows with his short bow in tow.

Barael shows both sap and silver dagger to Nikolay. "Is this good enough, or do I need something more... holy?"

"Briar, you talk of holy water. I think, with your companionship, I can stop by the Church of Aroden to procure a vial or two."


Barael de Gare wrote:
Barael turns to Briar and Nikolay, as well as Cressida. "I've never raised a weapon against an Undead. What are their weaknesses? Is there weaponry from the Citadel to this purpose, or might we stop by Master Saul's before we set out? And we would have found it difficult to bring Trinia's body unrecognized. Will we need a way to transport a body?"

You want more weaponry from the Guard huh? Your own personal store is it now? hehehehe

Cressida says, "I think silver is best against undead, and bludgeoning for skeletons. You could check with the church of Phrasma, I'm sure they have volumes of information. I don't think the skeletons were all that tough, but they caught my men off guard and unprepared."

Saul is an early riser and so his shop will be open when you've all finished your morning routines. He too will confirm that it's bludgeoning you want for skeletons and many undead are more effected by silver than not. He'll add that where there are skeletons there are often zombies - and with those you want to use slashing weapons. He has blunt arrows, but not slashing ones...

We will have a slow start with 1/3 of our party mostly absent the next two days. I am also having computer problems with my old computer and my new computer doesn't have the software I need for the fancy maps - so this buys a few more days for that as well.


Elf:
HP:113/113 AC: 21 (f17/t16)): K(Arc) +17, K(His) +7, K(Pl) +20, K(Rel) +20, Per +24, Sense +12, Spllcft +24/26

Looks like we have some time to kill before we get moving. If anyone wants to waste the day arguing theology, feel free to join me and Barael as we explore the Church of Aroden.

Barael wrote:
"...you talk of holy water. I think, with your companionship, I can stop by the Church of *Aroden* to procure a vial or two."

Briar's eyes bulge at Barael's statement.

1d20 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8 Know (Religion)

"Uhm...you know that God is dead, right? He died over a century ago. Do the phrases 'the Worldwound' and 'Eye of Abendingo' mean anything to you?"

Briar looks at the human before continuing.

"According to my Dad, who once saw Aroden walking on the streets of Absalom, Aroden's death caused an end to the Age of Prophecy. Aroden was supposed to do all these great things...but instead his death and failure has lead to more suffering and destruction since the Starfall. Did you mean to say, Aroden? And there is a church here? To Aroden?"

Briar blinks confusedly.

"Well, if you know where it is, I'm happy to see it. And we can discuss dogma as we go."


Male Human (PER +6 | FORT+15 REF+9 WILL+11 | AC 26 (F24, T14) CMD28)

"Blunt and silvered weapons sound good."

You won't need them.

"But I'll be fine."

Nikolay holds his sword admiringly.

--
Nikolay will stop by Saul's and pick up a couple holy waters if available. He will also inquire about having his sword magically enhanced.

"Saul, do you know anyone who would be able to add magics to my sword. That type of magic was not among my studies."


Male Human (PER +6 | FORT+15 REF+9 WILL+11 | AC 26 (F24, T14) CMD28)

Nikolay asks Barael to pick up a couple holy waters for him from the church, but avoids the walk with Briar and the dogma debate.


Nikolay Vasilevich wrote:

Nikolay will stop by Saul's and pick up a couple holy waters if available. He will also inquire about having his sword magically enhanced.

"Saul, do you know anyone who would be able to add magics to my sword. That type of magic was not among my studies."

"I can get the holy water from the Church of Abadar at cost, but I'm afraid I don't have any in stock just now. Yes I can arrange to have your sword ensorceled. I do not do that myself, but handle it through contacts at the Acadamae. It's a fairly swift process, but it takes at least a day - often more if you're really juicing it up."


half-elf
today's stuff, various:
Saves: ------------- HP: 96 Fort:12 Ref:15 Will:10 AC: 24 T:24 FL:14 Mutagen: Dex/Wis, lasts 20 minutes

Dandi goes with Barael and Briar to pick up the holy waters, only half listening to the conversation.


Male Human (PER +6 | FORT+15 REF+9 WILL+11 | AC 26 (F24, T14) CMD28)
DM_Euan wrote:
"It's a fairly swift process, but it takes at least a day - often more if you're really juicing it up."

"I have need of it today and would also be curious to watch the process." And not let my sword out of my sight. "I could assist or stay out of the way. I'd appreciate it if you'd pass on my desires and I could make arrangements for another day."


Nikolay Vasilevich wrote:
"I have need of it today and would also be curious to watch the process." And not let my sword out of my sight. "I could assist or stay out of the way. I'd appreciate it if you'd pass on my desires and I could make arrangements for another day."

"An unusual request, but I'm sure it will be no problem. There may be an additional fee if you make a nuisance of yourself of course, but if you stay quiet and merely watch I'm sure I can arrange it." Saul grins broadly. He likes a challenge.

"Let me know the day - a few days in advance if you can - and I'll make it work."


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

On their trip to the Church of Aroden, Barael enjoys the company. You forget so easily how often you'd run these streets by yourself. Hold conversations with yourself, with Aroden. Now, you have two companions, both elven, who have fought at your side. And you can reach out and poke them. They're right there.

"Aye, Aroden's name is quite familiar to me. The Church in Old Korvosa is practically a second home to me. The warmed halls, the day-old breads donated by local bakers. If all I had to do was listen to the priests speak, and tithe an occasional silver, it served my health well enough. The clerics there are kind enough. Sadon will talk one ear off, before realizing he's working on the second."

Barael offers to steer Dandi around a rather large pothole, flush with drainwater, taking up most of the side's walk.

Barael listens to Briar much like he listens to the priests. A student, trying to show respect and proper awe during the deeper discussions, but never really treading much deeper than the shallows of the river himself.

"You say your dad saw Aroden? Like in person? Like you could have leaned over and..." Barael pokes Briar to demonstrate. "That would be an interesting conversation, should I ever meet your Da. I'm sure Sadon would love to hear that story." Barael's stomach grumbles, and a piece of cheese appears in his hand.

"Presumed dead. Presumed. That's what the priests say, that he'll return when he's ready to return. They even showed their faith is still strong, when one of them walked right off the dais, into the air, and walked above those gathered that day. That's got to say something, doesn't it? Our trip to the church. For the holy water, what, are we expecting the holy water of a dead god will just perfume the skeletons rather than burn em?" Barael chuckles around the cheese.


Old and crumbling, the temple of Aroden has lost almost all of its former splendor. Still, remnants of power remain and there are some comings and goings in the church. As you enter, Sadon, one of the priests, greats you warmly.

"Friend Barael, welcome! I see you've brought friends today. You're early for the noon service - is there something else I may do for you my son?"


Elf:
HP:113/113 AC: 21 (f17/t16)): K(Arc) +17, K(His) +7, K(Pl) +20, K(Rel) +20, Per +24, Sense +12, Spllcft +24/26

Briar's mind boggles at the idea of a 'presumed dead' God, not just a dead god.

"Sure. The thing is that Aroden or Aroden's servants are the ones that give Arodenite true believers their ability to show the divine spark. Rumor has it that none of them have been able to evince the divine spark since he 'died'."

Briar thinks more about his Whispers.

"I just wonder how the Church of Aroden can create blessed water if there is no divine backing to their spells...there is no divine incarnation that lends its power to the believers. Where is that power coming from?"

Briar looks around while he walks, realizing that this is more than he has talked in front of others in a long while.

The Gods are magic. I must find the magic.

"Listen Mortal, I saw we purchase the holy water and see how it does against the foes we are likely to face. If the skeletons begin to bathe in it, then let me politely suggest that you find more lively god to worship. If they steam and burn in undead agony, then we'll agree that Aroden still might hold sway in this reality?"


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

"The priests in Aroden's temple don't seem to talk much of their flock losing their divine spark, and I haven't asked them the question, for fear of offending them." Barael realizes that he has never requested healing potions or blessed waters from Sadon and the others.

"You put forth a test. To see if Aroden is still working his powers through his priests. Well, that makes me wonder like I've not wondered before. They've talked with conviction, but this, this would steel it, once we set the vials against the denizens of the Warrens. Nikolay is trusting that the holy water we may receive today be what it should be. And I am... concerned. I would not see Nikolay or anyone else in the party risk themselves with snake oils." Barael's eyebrows descend midway across his pupils. "We shall inquire together then."
***
Barael greets Sadon, and makes small ceremony of a crown to the church before speaking. "Always good to see you, wise Sadon. I'm afraid that noon service was not our intent today. We, oh where are my manners. Sadon, this is Briar and Dandilion, true companions found amongst this recent chaos. We are tasked with a dark errand. It seems that we must enter the Warrens in order to retrieve a lifeless victim of the riots, dragged away by a corpse seller. In order to prepare ourselves for the inevitable skeleton or zombie, I've told my friends that we might be able to procure holy water from your church. Can you assist me in this preparation?"


Male Human (Init +6 | Per +15 | Fort +16 Ref +15 Will +11* +1 enchant, +4 language & sonic | AC 31 (f25/t18) | CMD34*)

Fondo prepares himself for fighting the undead by going out to seduce the living. If I must flay putrescent flesh on the morrow, I will lie with firm corpulence these eve.

Diplomacy 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24 1d100 ⇒ 42

Fondo finds a rather lively strumpet to philander that eve, and rises the next day with a zeal for life and ending unlife.


Elf:
HP:113/113 AC: 21 (f17/t16)): K(Arc) +17, K(His) +7, K(Pl) +20, K(Rel) +20, Per +24, Sense +12, Spllcft +24/26

Briar steps forward to speak with Sadon.

"If I may ask a few words, Sadon. I had heard that Aroden had perished..that his influence had left Golarion." Briar attempts a friendly smile. "Do you still sense his presence in the realm? Does he still give you his divine spark? I hate to seem rude, but surely this is a common misconception, I would to enlighten others on this matter."

Supposing Briar gets a not-angry response, he will press further.

"The blessed water that we are about to purchase...was it made here by you? By someone of the Arodenite faith? We have many undead to hunt and I wish to be sure of the holiness of water I would buy."


Fondo does indeed have a very pleasant night, and the limitations on this forum of conversation prevent me from elucidating further… A Very pleasant night…

- - -

Barael de Gare wrote:
Barael greets Sadon, and makes small ceremony of a crown to the church before speaking. "Always good to see you, wise Sadon. I'm afraid that noon service was not our intent today. We, oh where are my manners. Sadon, this is Briar and Dandilion, true companions found amongst this recent chaos. We are tasked with a dark errand. It seems that we must enter the Warrens in order to retrieve a lifeless victim of the riots, dragged away by a corpse seller. In order to prepare ourselves for the inevitable skeleton or zombie, I've told my friends that we might be able to procure holy water from your church. Can you assist me in this preparation?"

Sadon replies pleasantly, "Of course! For you we have gallons already prepared! hahaha! Seriously though, be careful in the Warrens. The priests of Phrasma will send expeditions down some of those holes from time to time to cleans the filth which accumulates. When they go, they go in strength!"

Briar the Lesser wrote:

"If I may ask a few words, Sadon. I had heard that Aroden had perished..that his influence had left Golarion." Briar attempts a friendly smile. "Do you still sense his presence in the realm? Does he still give you his divine spark? I hate to seem rude, but surely this is a common misconception, I would to enlighten others on this matter."

He listens patiently to Briars comments, then speaks with the warmth of the devout, not the angered. "Aroden has indeed perished, but it is our belief that he will rise again - after all is he not a God?! I worship him at the alter and in all that I do, and for that worship I am granted spells and powers befitting a priest of my ranks. Whether that comes direct from Aroden or though his agents I canont say for I am no scholar of the divine. I know simply that my belief is real, and my power is real."

Briar the Lesser wrote:
"The blessed water that we are about to purchase...was it made here by you? By someone of the Arodenite faith? We have many undead to hunt and I wish to be sure of the holiness of water I would buy."

He turns to Barael briefly, "My, he is a thoughtful one isn't he?" He turns back to Briar, "The holy water is as pure as any you'd obtain from Pharasma - and will do you well among the unholy living dead. I think I have something else too - a loan for my dear Barael on this mission. One moment please."

Sadon hikes up his skirts and rushes to the back of the church and through a small door, humming happily to himself. He returns a short while later laden with a pack and a blade.

"I brought 10 flasks of holy water, how many would you like? They're 25 sails a piece I'm afraid - but that's our cost to make them, no profit there!" while you decide how many to take, "But this, this is for you Barael, on loan mind you, you must bring it back when you've finished with the unwholesome dead!" He unwraps the blade, a fine but plain mithral rapier, glowing slightly even in the bright light of day.

"This is a magical rapier that one of our parishioners left us when they passed on. It's old, but the metal is true, and the magic is powerful. That should help, eh?!"

It is a +1 mithral rapier which glows as a torch when drawn.


Male Human (Per +18 | Fort +12 Ref +16 Will +12 | AC 24 (f 19/t 17)| CMD 30/f 25)

Barael takes the blade gently, as if handling a glass flute, studies its length, then its wield. "Sadon, this is a fine weapon. Fine weapon. I will see that it's given its glory in the Warrens. When I return with it, it shall have new stories to be told." Barael draws his own rapier, and hands it to Sadon, then sheathes the mithral. "Would you do me the honor of holding Cressida's Boon until I return with this gleam? It would do for the Boon to spend some time in hallowed halls."

Barael produces the 250 sails for Sadon without question. "Aroden's grace favors us today for these flasks, and for your time. We are in your debt for your patience and your service." Barael shakes Sadon's hand, and there is a new vigor in its strength. What is this new feeling? Are you really listening up there, Aroden? I visit your house, and am full with bounty. Thank you, Father.

"Well, Briar, do you have any other questions for wise Sadon? It looks like we have fresh wind in our sails, and the rudder points us to the Warrens, once our fellow party members are all aboard."


Barael de Gare wrote:

Barael takes the blade gently, as if handling a glass flute, studies its length, then its wield. "Sadon, this is a fine weapon. Fine weapon. I will see that it's given its glory in the Warrens. When I return with it, it shall have new stories to be told." Barael draws his own rapier, and hands it to Sadon, then sheathes the mithral. "Would you do me the honor of holding Cressida's Boon until I return with this gleam? It would do for the Boon to spend some time in hallowed halls."

Barael produces the 250 sails for Sadon without question. "Aroden's grace favors us today for these flasks, and for your time. We are in your debt for your patience and your service." Barael shakes Sadon's hand, and there is a new vigor in its strength. What is this new feeling? Are you really listening up there, Aroden? I visit your house, and am full with bounty. Thank you, Father.

"Well, Briar, do you have any other questions for wise Sadon? It looks like we have fresh wind in our sails, and the rudder points us to the Warrens, once our fellow party members are all aboard."

Sadon smiles, "I'll certainly hold your blade for you my son. We shall keep it safe against your return!"

I took the holy water purchase out of the group rather than just out of Barael...

1,351 to 1,400 of 11,587 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Curse of the Crimson Throne Campaign All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.