Cult of Unraveling (Inactive)

Game Master Matt Adams 259


351 to 400 of 508 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>

Male N Half-elf Watersinger 1st HP: 15/15 AC: 14/12/12 CMD: 14 ; F/R/W: +1/+5/+3 ; Init + 4, Perception +7 ; 30' ; Know(any) +3

In no mood to argue about the semantics of being a slave or not, Jasper found a corner and slid down the wall to a cot. "Wounds are not easily forgotten either. We must pick our battles carefully." And that means not right now.

The bard didn't have a problem using the collective, for he saw these disaffected townspeople as valuable tools in establishing a foothold outside his previous home.

"I'm getting some rest. The only chains I'd welcome right now are some cloth ones for bandages."


HP 16/16 | AP 4/5 | Init +3, Senses darkvision (60 ft.); Perception +8 | AC 19, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (+4 armor, +3 Dex, +2 natural) | Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5 | Resistances cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5 | Tiefling | Magus (Fiend Flayer)/2 |
Spells Prepped:
0th: daze, detect magic, prestidigitation, spark (DC 14) 1st: color spray [DC 15] , shocking grasp, shield

Kurt nods, "Very well, that is good enough for now."

Seeing Jasper collapse Kurt simply looks for a place he can keep an eye on the street. Let the bard, elf and dwarf converse with this criminal group, he had few words.

Alone Kurt sits contunially, internally, conflicted. On one hand, much of his upbringing and belief was based largely on respect for the order of law. Without order, and the corresponding laws, society cannot function. Yet, on the other hand these slavers were repugnant, and skirted the spirit of laws, if not the letter.

These folks to took them in were clearly criminals, being escaoed slaves helping free other slaves; yet his own actions in the past days branded him with the same criminality. Yes, he felt justified in his actions, and his companions were clearly worth the risk, yet it would take time to rectify his recent actions with his long held beliefs.

Yet, if I see that elf and half orc again, there will ve a reckoning... law or no


Hey guys. I think this is a good time for a level up. The site maintenance is wreaking havoc on my posting times, anyway.

Take a day or two to get all of your characters ready.


HP 16/16 | AP 4/5 | Init +3, Senses darkvision (60 ft.); Perception +8 | AC 19, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (+4 armor, +3 Dex, +2 natural) | Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5 | Resistances cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5 | Tiefling | Magus (Fiend Flayer)/2 |
Spells Prepped:
0th: daze, detect magic, prestidigitation, spark (DC 14) 1st: color spray [DC 15] , shocking grasp, shield
Addams Family DM wrote:

Hey guys. I think this is a good time for a level up. The site maintenance is wreaking havoc on my posting times, anyway.

Take a day or two to get all of your characters ready.

Spellstrike here I come! How do you want to handle HP's? Roll? Average?


Kurt Iron wrote:
Addams Family DM wrote:

Hey guys. I think this is a good time for a level up. The site maintenance is wreaking havoc on my posting times, anyway.

Take a day or two to get all of your characters ready.

Spellstrike here I come! How do you want to handle HP's? Roll? Average?

Average.


Addams Family DM wrote:
Kurt Iron wrote:
Addams Family DM wrote:

Hey guys. I think this is a good time for a level up. The site maintenance is wreaking havoc on my posting times, anyway.

Take a day or two to get all of your characters ready.

Spellstrike here I come! How do you want to handle HP's? Roll? Average?
Average.

Great, Thanks!


Matt's Iron Gods Maps...And here is the link for those who still need permission to view the roll 20 maps.

Looks like only Kurt has done the level up so far. To give everyone a chance, I'll have the next post up Monday.


The night in the old cabin is spent uneventfully and you all manage to get a good night of rest for the first time in a long time. When you awake, you find that Arna has all ready left for his stint on guard duty in town.

The three halflings will mostly be performing odd jobs for money while the half orc works the lumber mill. Even though they have jobs in the town and most of the citizenry knows of their situation, the escapees ask that you not do anything to jeopardize their indistinct living situation.

Before they leave, they do give you a small breakfast of a fried egg and slice of toast each.


Female LN Halfling Arcanist 4 (Pregen) | HP: 27/27| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 11 Fl) | CMB: 0 CMD: 12 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +2 | Arcana +11, Knw (Other)+8, UMD +10, Splcrft +11, Per +1| Lvl 1: 5/5, Lvl 2: 3/3 | Speed 30ft | Prescience 6/6, Arcane reservoir 5/5 | Active conditions:

Level up should be all done.

Cyrene nods her thanks, falling back into her old habit of not speaking much in the face of so many strangers. Looking around the table at all the others she, mentally, voices the question which she expects them all to be wondering.

What do we do now?


HP 16/16 | AP 4/5 | Init +3, Senses darkvision (60 ft.); Perception +8 | AC 19, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (+4 armor, +3 Dex, +2 natural) | Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5 | Resistances cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5 | Tiefling | Magus (Fiend Flayer)/2 |
Spells Prepped:
0th: daze, detect magic, prestidigitation, spark (DC 14) 1st: color spray [DC 15] , shocking grasp, shield

Kurt shares Cyrenes look, shrugs and responds. "I suppose we should do what I always do upon reaching a new town, find work, lodging, and new knowledge. Perhaps our hosts have some leads on paying work."


As you are discussing what to do next, you hear a knock on the cabin door.
"Is everyone decent?" You hear the high pitched voice of Arna from behind the wood. "If you guys are looking to stay around here for a little while, I might have something to sustain you until you get steady work."


HP 16/16 | AP 4/5 | Init +3, Senses darkvision (60 ft.); Perception +8 | AC 19, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (+4 armor, +3 Dex, +2 natural) | Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5 | Resistances cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5 | Tiefling | Magus (Fiend Flayer)/2 |
Spells Prepped:
0th: daze, detect magic, prestidigitation, spark (DC 14) 1st: color spray [DC 15] , shocking grasp, shield

Kurts eyebrows raise at the offer tendered through the doorway.

"Providence strikes, it appears."


Male Dwarf Monk of the Sacred Mountain 2 Init +0 | Per +7 | AC 15, T 14, F 14 | CMD 16 | HP 18/23 | Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +6

Ulfred listens to the job offer Arna has, still somewhat drowsy from a good night's sleep.


Arna comes into the old cabin. "It's not a glorious job or anything, but we've been getting reports all morning about houshold pets going missing. One of them actually just turned up as a corpse. Now, the captain doesn't want to send one of the guards to search for it because he doesn't think they'll look very hard, but he also wants to make sure the problem doesn't get bigger. Would you guys be interested in a little bit of detective work?"


HP 16/16 | AP 4/5 | Init +3, Senses darkvision (60 ft.); Perception +8 | AC 19, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (+4 armor, +3 Dex, +2 natural) | Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5 | Resistances cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5 | Tiefling | Magus (Fiend Flayer)/2 |
Spells Prepped:
0th: daze, detect magic, prestidigitation, spark (DC 14) 1st: color spray [DC 15] , shocking grasp, shield

Kurt grunts at the mundane task, yet he has nothing else to occupy his time.

"I will assist, missing pets can often be a precursor to something bigger. Or it might just be a mean spirited child. Do you have a location wherein we can start the investigation?"


Female LN Halfling Arcanist 4 (Pregen) | HP: 27/27| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 11 Fl) | CMB: 0 CMD: 12 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +2 | Arcana +11, Knw (Other)+8, UMD +10, Splcrft +11, Per +1| Lvl 1: 5/5, Lvl 2: 3/3 | Speed 30ft | Prescience 6/6, Arcane reservoir 5/5 | Active conditions:

As many locations as possible. Cyrene says, before realising that she'd forgotten to speak, again, and re-asking the question verbally. "Can we have the pet's names too?"


Male N Half-elf Watersinger 1st HP: 15/15 AC: 14/12/12 CMD: 14 ; F/R/W: +1/+5/+3 ; Init + 4, Perception +7 ; 30' ; Know(any) +3

A healed but skeptical Jasper did not understand why random interlopers were sought after by the town for matters of perceived importance, but he knew getting on the good side of someone was a start. And it sounds easy enough.

"What do they know so far? Needles in haystacks take a long time to find."


Arna gives you a list of the households that have had pets go missing over the last few days. The first thing that stands out to you is that all of the houses are located at the edges of the town. Up to now, they haven't done much looking into the problem, believing it to be the work of a bobcat or something similar. However, the increased rate of missing pets has alarmed the captain. He is looking for outside help, because he doesn't trust his guards to put any kind of serious effort into looking for pets. The captain did not think to get the names of the pets.


HP 16/16 | AP 4/5 | Init +3, Senses darkvision (60 ft.); Perception +8 | AC 19, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (+4 armor, +3 Dex, +2 natural) | Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5 | Resistances cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5 | Tiefling | Magus (Fiend Flayer)/2 |
Spells Prepped:
0th: daze, detect magic, prestidigitation, spark (DC 14) 1st: color spray [DC 15] , shocking grasp, shield

Kurt frowns at learning the pets were mostly missing from the outskirts of town, that smelled of a possible wild beast, and he was not an accomplished woodsman, more of a city fiend, he was.

"It seems that a wild beast might be a reasonable possibility considering these locations. I suppose we should visit these homes and see what we can find out."


Male Dwarf Monk of the Sacred Mountain 2 Init +0 | Per +7 | AC 15, T 14, F 14 | CMD 16 | HP 18/23 | Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +6

"Right then. Let's head out." Ulfred decide they should get a start on the job as early as they can, barring any objections.


Your first stop takes you to a small house on the north side of the town. Like most of the people here, the husband and sons work for the local lumber mill. They had a hunting dog, but it went missing about a week ago. The family hasn't replaced it yet, but they haven't been doing well on their catches without one.


Male N Half-elf Watersinger 1st HP: 15/15 AC: 14/12/12 CMD: 14 ; F/R/W: +1/+5/+3 ; Init + 4, Perception +7 ; 30' ; Know(any) +3

Jasper approached one of the men in the mill who was taking a breather.

"So, your dog's gone missing, huh? Guard doesn't seem to be interested, but my partners and I are looking into things." He took a look around the place. "Where did you see him last? It isn't like a dog to run off. Maybe someone lured him with food."

Dropping a few guesses to get the man's ideas flowing, Jasper watched the others work as the man replied.


Male Dwarf Monk of the Sacred Mountain 2 Init +0 | Per +7 | AC 15, T 14, F 14 | CMD 16 | HP 18/23 | Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +6

While Jasper talks to the owners, Ulfred searche the area for anything that might shed some light on the investigation.
Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12


HP 16/16 | AP 4/5 | Init +3, Senses darkvision (60 ft.); Perception +8 | AC 19, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (+4 armor, +3 Dex, +2 natural) | Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5 | Resistances cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5 | Tiefling | Magus (Fiend Flayer)/2 |
Spells Prepped:
0th: daze, detect magic, prestidigitation, spark (DC 14) 1st: color spray [DC 15] , shocking grasp, shield

Kurt assists Ulfred in looking about, as social skills are not his forte.

Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28


"Well, just before this happened, there was a group of weasels trying to get into our winter food stores, but they looked weird, like their coloring was off. It could have just been the light, but it seemed like their fur was grey and blonde instead of the usual brown. And the eyes were pure white. Anyway, I ended up leaving Spike outside for the night to either drive them off or kill him. He didn't come back the next morning like usual or ever since."

As Jasper is talking to the father of the family, Kurt and Ulfred find a set of markings in the nearby woods.
Survival checks would be helpful here.


Male N Half-elf Watersinger 1st HP: 15/15 AC: 14/12/12 CMD: 14 ; F/R/W: +1/+5/+3 ; Init + 4, Perception +7 ; 30' ; Know(any) +3

Planned on keeping that to yourself, did you?

"See any other animals with discoloration like that? Could be a disease of a sort. Your pup might have been bit, gotten sick, wandered off in confusion from whatever it was."


Male Dwarf Monk of the Sacred Mountain 2 Init +0 | Per +7 | AC 15, T 14, F 14 | CMD 16 | HP 18/23 | Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +6

Survival: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (18) + 4 = 22


"Not like that, but I heard the woman who lost her cat the day after saw a blood red bat in a tree outside her house."

Ulfred can tell that there are definitely some tracks leading away from the house. The tracks you would expect a medium sized dog to make as well as tracks that could have come from a weasel.


HP 16/16 | AP 4/5 | Init +3, Senses darkvision (60 ft.); Perception +8 | AC 19, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (+4 armor, +3 Dex, +2 natural) | Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5 | Resistances cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5 | Tiefling | Magus (Fiend Flayer)/2 |
Spells Prepped:
0th: daze, detect magic, prestidigitation, spark (DC 14) 1st: color spray [DC 15] , shocking grasp, shield

"Red bats?, white weasels? Fascinating"

Kurt muses as he listens in on the conversation while looking about.


"I'd agree, but its also a bit scary. What happens if it turns out that something bigger is also affected by whatever has infected the local animals? They don't seem to be afraid of humans or their towns."


Dire Halfling

"I think I've got something. Looks like a weasel and a dog went this way." Ulfred calls to the rest of the group.


Male N Half-elf Watersinger 1st HP: 15/15 AC: 14/12/12 CMD: 14 ; F/R/W: +1/+5/+3 ; Init + 4, Perception +7 ; 30' ; Know(any) +3

"Looks like there's our answer. Want to come with us?" Jasper extended the invitation to the dog's owner, thinking he'd want to be reunited. Maybe he'd like to see what the problem was. I know I'd be curious.


"I appreciate the offer. I'd like to join you."

The trail takes you deep into the woods. About a half mile from town, the weasel tracks seem to disappear. The dog trail continues on but you soon runt run into an area of broken twigs and crushed undergrowth. It looks like a fight ensued here.

When you search the area, you find a trail of blood that quickly leads to the corpse of a mutt looking canine. The man who followed you seems upset.


Female LN Halfling Arcanist 4 (Pregen) | HP: 27/27| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 11 Fl) | CMB: 0 CMD: 12 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +2 | Arcana +11, Knw (Other)+8, UMD +10, Splcrft +11, Per +1| Lvl 1: 5/5, Lvl 2: 3/3 | Speed 30ft | Prescience 6/6, Arcane reservoir 5/5 | Active conditions:

So strange animals that can fight a dog and win? Cyrene ponders. Could it be...?

Ignoring everyone else she extends her senses outwards, questing for any trace of the familiar magic of the First World.

Scan with Detect Magic (for what good it will do)


Cyrene doesn't detect magic in the immediate vicinity.


Male Dwarf Monk of the Sacred Mountain 2 Init +0 | Per +7 | AC 15, T 14, F 14 | CMD 16 | HP 18/23 | Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +6

"Hm. Whatever killed the dog can't have just appeared and disappeared. Must've left some tracks somewhere." Ulfred mutters to himself as he scans the area for signs of whatever had killed the dog, deciding that he's better at that than interacting with people. Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17


Ulfred is unable to track the killer. It's as if the beast took to the air.


Male N Half-elf Watersinger 1st HP: 15/15 AC: 14/12/12 CMD: 14 ; F/R/W: +1/+5/+3 ; Init + 4, Perception +7 ; 30' ; Know(any) +3

With no clear exit path, Jasper looked around to see if anything in the environment had been utilized to perhaps aid the crime - overturned rocks, broken tree branches - and help the perpetrators disappear.

Perception: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22

Hmm. Curious, but it might be something with a bit more talent.

He looked to the tagalong. "How common is magecraft in these parts? Could be a cantrip scurried the murderers away."


Female LN Halfling Arcanist 4 (Pregen) | HP: 27/27| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 11 Fl) | CMB: 0 CMD: 12 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +2 | Arcana +11, Knw (Other)+8, UMD +10, Splcrft +11, Per +1| Lvl 1: 5/5, Lvl 2: 3/3 | Speed 30ft | Prescience 6/6, Arcane reservoir 5/5 | Active conditions:

It would be strange magic to do that. Cyrene responds to Jasper's question. And I sense no magic here. Unless the creature could fly...


HP 16/16 | AP 4/5 | Init +3, Senses darkvision (60 ft.); Perception +8 | AC 19, touch 13, flat-footed 16 (+4 armor, +3 Dex, +2 natural) | Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +5 | Resistances cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5 | Tiefling | Magus (Fiend Flayer)/2 |
Spells Prepped:
0th: daze, detect magic, prestidigitation, spark (DC 14) 1st: color spray [DC 15] , shocking grasp, shield

Kurt offers his condolences to the dog's owner. Growing up he'd had an affinity to the hunting dogs in the castle, and it was always sad to see a treasured animal fall.

Casting about for further sign, he intones "Hmm, all sign seems to have vanished. Perhaps another missing pet location will offer more clues. I mislike strange colored animals vanishing into thin air."


Katharine is an aging spinster that lives near the family you just visited. As the father had told you, her cat was eaten by a large red bat that swooped down out of the sky. "I've never seen anything like it!" she explains when questioned.


Vera Magda walks into the town of Tesala. According to her superiors, a rogue slavery ring had sprung up in the area. Rather than use the approved breeding stock bred for servitude, this faction had been capturing travelers off roadways and forcing shackles upon them. Magda was tasked with rooting out the source of the rumors and keep an eye on the criminals until the Hellknights dealt with them.

Being the major trading hub in the region, Tesala was almost guaranteed to have been visited by the slaver ring. She had decided that here is the best place to start her search.


Female Hellspawn Tiefling (Native Outsider) Zen Archer 2 -- HP [16/16] -- AC [16, 16 T, 14 FF] -- [Fort 4] [Ref 5] [Will 7] -- Init [2] -- Perc [9] -- CMD [16] -- Fire Resist 5, Cold Resist 5, Lightning Resist 5

Not being a particularly patient or subtle individual, Vera went straight to work searching for information. With confidence that her attire would be enough to garner respect and cooperation, she began to ask high and low for suspicious individuals.

Gather Information: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9


Vera's lack of subtlety keeps the lips of the townsfolk sealed shut. The law of Cheliax is famously unforgiving and most would rather avoid being tied to any crime, even accidentally.


Female Hellspawn Tiefling (Native Outsider) Zen Archer 2 -- HP [16/16] -- AC [16, 16 T, 14 FF] -- [Fort 4] [Ref 5] [Will 7] -- Init [2] -- Perc [9] -- CMD [16] -- Fire Resist 5, Cold Resist 5, Lightning Resist 5

Quickly growing frustrated with her inability to get anywhere with the locals, she takes to the streets. She scoured every place she thought to look, eyeing every person with suspicion and every place as a potential source of information.

Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (18) + 9 = 27


Vera notices that a group of halflings has been avoiding her, ducking out of rooms when they see her begin questioning, or even enter a room. She even sees a group of them conversing together. They disperse when they notice her. It's not surprising. Halflings do make up most of the Cheliax slave population. At least some of them have to be escapees.


While the party of escaped slaves and fugitives is talking to the old cat lady, Katharine, the halfling warrior Arna approaches the party. "There's a womab in town looking for information on the slavers in the area. She'll probably find you eventually. Just wanted to warn you."


Female LN Halfling Arcanist 4 (Pregen) | HP: 27/27| AC: 13 (13 Tch, 11 Fl) | CMB: 0 CMD: 12 | F: +4, R: +5, W: +5 | Init: +2 | Arcana +11, Knw (Other)+8, UMD +10, Splcrft +11, Per +1| Lvl 1: 5/5, Lvl 2: 3/3 | Speed 30ft | Prescience 6/6, Arcane reservoir 5/5 | Active conditions:

I'll go and see what I can learn. Cyrene offers, before slipping off, quietly glad to be away from the forest which was too much, and yet not enough, like home.

Finding the woman is easy enough and Cyrene makes the effort to stay nearby - trailing the woman at a distance and trying her best to seem inconspicuous.

Stealth...: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3


Male N Half-elf Watersinger 1st HP: 15/15 AC: 14/12/12 CMD: 14 ; F/R/W: +1/+5/+3 ; Init + 4, Perception +7 ; 30' ; Know(any) +3

"They normally send people out looking for information on slavers? What more is there to know? They have to be registered, right?"

Jasper pondered a way to work the law's letters to their advantage as they continued their detective work.


Female Hellspawn Tiefling (Native Outsider) Zen Archer 2 -- HP [16/16] -- AC [16, 16 T, 14 FF] -- [Fort 4] [Ref 5] [Will 7] -- Init [2] -- Perc [9] -- CMD [16] -- Fire Resist 5, Cold Resist 5, Lightning Resist 5

Opposed Perception: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
It took Vera all of ten seconds to notice the strange Elf following her. As soon as her route took her around a corner, she turned on her heel, crossed her arms, and waited for her pursuer to follow the route.

"Why are you following me?" She asked pointedly the moment the woman walks into her line of sight. Her burnt-orange eyes narrow as they lock on to the woman's own, and she lets the broadness of her shoulders combined with the pentagram emblazoned upon her clothing do the rest of her talking. She felt no direct threat was needed.

351 to 400 of 508 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | next > last >>
Community / Forums / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Cult of Unraveling All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.