Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Crimson Throne of Lore

Game Master LoreKeeper


1,501 to 1,550 of 1,884 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>

Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

What are the chances we get a heightened one? Ioun torch is normally 75gp unsure what a heightened one would cost.

"I am sure you know best, cleric."


Unlike Esmerelda's reading of light vs dark spells, by my reading when two equal level light/dark spells meet, their overlap is as if neither is present (i.e. ambient conditions apply) however since it doesn't actually dispel darkness, ordinary and lesser magic light sources still do not work in the AOE of the darkness. That means an ordinary ioun torch (continual flame, level 2 or 3, depending on arcane or divine creator) is sufficient to shine in darkness (level 1) and will at least neutralize deeper darkness (level 3) if made by a divine source.

The chances of finding a heightened one normally, are slim to none. You'd have to commission on at the Bank. Getting a divine-made one randomly is a 50-50 thing. Not sure if the maker can be readily identified. Spellcraft DC 20? Knowledge (arcana/religion) DC 20?


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

187.5 subtracted from personal funds.

Spellcraft 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22
Percentile (high = divine) 1d100 ⇒ 75

"That looks like a good one, Darkbane," Ten points out, "Make sure to ask for the certificate that proves that it was blessed by a church too."


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

Except darkness is lvl 2 :p. So we need a cleric made ioun torch.

Knowlege(arcana): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15
Knowlege(religion): 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

Esme don't know. Esme buys the one Ten pointed out and a wand. Subtracted 75+187.5=262.5. And gives the wand to Caulder.

"Do we want anything else while we are here?"


Let me know if you're looking for anything else; you'll have at least a little slack time for that.

The party returns after a short foray into the city. The four make their way to the forked tunnel before deciding on their next course of action.

Map updated


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

With her new ioun stone circling her head, Esme leads the way "Lets go see what's in the room full of the giant mosquitoes."


187.5 gp removed from inventory. Current HP: 12/18.

There's always something I keep intending for Pagrip to buy when he has the opportunity and I always forget. Of course, at the moment, I can't remember what that is. Sigh.

Pagrip goes with Ten and Esmerelda on the shopping trip, but lets them handle all the negotiations.

Back in the caves, he follows after Esmerelda. "Hopefully, they're dead giant mosquitoes," he says.


The giant parasites, on examination, are indeed dead. The room otherwise appears macabre but quiet. It's not clear what the intentions were, but some form of experimentation of some sort took place here.

Other than the one they came though, two tunnels invite the four to continue.

Map updated


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Yes, Ten. That does look like a good tunnel to explore first." says Esme pointing at the south western tunnel where Ten is standing.


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

"... by connecting... and then... yes, wait, no that wouldn't work... unless- Oh, er, um. Yes, Darkbane. That's exactly what I was thinking." Ten responded.


Sorry for delay. We had a massive flood rain, my flat was under water for a while (well, an inch or so of water).

Ten leads the way and it doesn't take long for the tunnel walls to expand into a room, the majority of which contains a nasty-looking stretch of mud - a partially collapsed sinkhole - kept damp by rivulets of water seeping from the walls. A patch of solid ground extends into the mud to form an island, on which is heaped a reeking pile of body parts. To the north, a rickety wheelbarrow sits on its side against the wall.

A squat creature wallows near the middle - familiar to some as they thought such a creature, an otyugh, before. Currently its feeding on the remains, a somewhat contented "mmmf aaammf foood aaah" behind audible. For the moment it doesn't appear that the creature has noticed the four approaching.


Pagrip pauses and grimaces. "I'd suggest turning around, except that thing might be feeding on the body we're looking for," he whispers.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

"And what if it is?" Caulder shrugs. "It's the circle of life. That thing is doing what the City wants it to do, which is consume waste materials and prevent the spread of diseases from rotting flesh -- not to mention preventing the bodies it feeds on from being raised as undead or stitched together into flesh golems. There's no crime here. Shoanti-boy was dead when he got here. I wouldn't object to tracking down his killers, but I'll not interfere with City infrastructure that is currently functioning as intended." He nods at the otyugh. "Which that is."


As an aside, Caulder would be aware of the possibility of unsanctioned otyughs. Or legal otyughs that have been abducted for nefarious purposes. Not that either of these necessarily apply in this situation; but you never know. :)


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Eh, it's eating dead things. If it were eating murder victims to hide evidence, that would be something else entirely; probably what Gaedran Lamm used that darn crocodile for. But this thing is in a cemetery eating things that were already dead when they got here. This isn't a crime investigation; it's a diplomatic placate-the-unreasonable-old-man-before-he-mobilizes-his-followers-to-cause -problems-for-the-government mission. Caulder's not going to attack what appears to be a City worker, albeit an unconventional one, to make a whiny old Shoanti happy.


Of course, it may just be that Rolth, dread necromancer, known to be involved in this case and urgently suspected of foul deeds and murder most uhm foul, agrees with Caulder's sentiments on the merits of proper sanitation. :)


Pagrip shrugs. "Fair point. Perhaps we can lure it away temporarily, maybe distract it with some other food and give us a few moments to see if the body we're looking for is there. Maybe one of those derro bodies would do the trick."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

"Mm, ought to work," Caulder nods. "Fresh meat is better than rotten, right? Then again, we are talking about an otyugh. Hey, Darkbane," he grins. "We already know they like you. Show a little leg, along with a dead dwarf."


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

"No 33, that otyugh isn't your father."

Map update?

"We could throw some stirges against the far wall. The ones that fed should splat open loudly enough to distract the otyugh. That might be easier than trying to lure it around with dead derro- or Darkbane's leg." Ten adds to the conversation.


All worthy suggestions; let me know when you've settled on a course of action. I had actually prepared the updated map, but forgotten to upload it! d'uh!

Map updated


"Stirges sound good, too," Pagrip says. "Lots of blood to attract it with." If there are no objections from anyone else, he'll grab a couple of dead stirges.


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

"Just not the ones that fed on me. I don't want that otyugh getting a taste for me," Ten warns, "Right, let me go find a few good specimens to fling around."


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Better than the plan of showing some leg..." Esme glares at Caulder as she gathers some stirge bodies.


When Pagrip tosses in the plump stirges, the otyugh finally takes notice of them. "Feeeshh, ummf, blaaad - " a tentacle somewhat lazily wraps around on of the dead parasites and deposits it in the mouth of the sewer creature. An unpleasant series of cracking and crunching sounds emerge, with an unnecessary red spray, followed by a bit of a bloody drool. "Feeeeesh- woo is joo?" A tentacle vaguely swings towards Pagrip and Ten (just safely out of reach), "joo is smelll udder."


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

"Oh, yes, I suppose otyughs can smell if somebody likes dairy milk," Ten ponders aloud. "Hello, um, friend... my mother always told me to bring a gift when visiting a friend. See, we're friends, right?" Ten asks as he tosses another stirge towards the otyugh.

Diplomacy (if needed) 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Friends through tentacles? I have a strange feeling that I should not get involved in this." Esme whispers while handing Ten some more dead stirges.


"Jeesshh frend foood," the creature replies with otyugh cunning. "Jooo brin mor?" It adds hopefully.

Sense Motive DC 10:

Its lethargy and methodical slow eating suggests that, for the time being, this creature is quite content.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Sense Motive 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

Oblivious to the otyugh's heartfelt needs and deep psychological motivations, Caulder sidles up to Ten and suggests, "Ask it if it'll let us take a look at the rest of its ... food ... before it finishes."


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (4) + 6 = 10

"It seems...um...well fed, promise it more food, Ten."


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Sense Motive 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4

Casting a sidelong glance at Caulder, Ten continues: Yes, yes. We can bring some more food, if you could first allow us a moment to rest in your lovely home."

Diplomacy 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (14) - 1 = 13


"Joos bring mor foood lay ta?" It waves a tentacle in what may be an invitation. "No manny huuman come hee; jus litl bloo."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

"Soooo ... it's going to let us have a look around?" Caulder asks dubiously, taking a cautious step closer to the otyugh. "'Little blue': that's the derro, right? You think it'd want to eat them, or will it be offended we killed its friends?"


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

"Let's not test the Derro theory, Caulder," Ten whispers back.

"Thank you for the invite... Oh, how rude of me, we haven't exchanged names yet. My name is Ten and these are my, um, friends, I suppose: Caulder, Esmerelda, and Pagrip. And what should we call you?" Ten responds to the otyugh, taking a step into the den in the process. Ten glances around, looking for evidence of fresh Shaonti corpses.

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Ask it if it knows Ootie."


Ten spots a likely looking lower torso. Just hips and some mangled legs, but decorated in bold Shoanti tattoos. "Dey caall me 'Steyawey'" the otyugh hazards.


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

"A pleasure to meet you, Steyawey," Ten replies politely. Then pointing to the mangled torso: "Oh! Those tattoos look interesting. Do you mind if we take a closer look?"


"Budd no eetin! Mine!"


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

"Ask if we can trade it something for it. There must be something an otyugh wants, right? That's only half a body; we can offer it two whole derro -- fresh ones at that."


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Let's first take a look and then decide if any trading needs to be done. Carry on, Ten."


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

"Don't worry, I won't be eating any of that. That would be very rude of me, as a guest," Ten promises Steyawey, "We just want to have a closer look. Right, Caulder, Darkbane? Just a look."


The otyugh is indeed rather amiable, allowing Ten and whoever else wishes to dig in the body parts a closer look. The lower half of a distinctly Shoanti youth are definitely part of the pile - but there's no evidence of any other parts.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

"Does it look ... gnawed? Or is it a clean cut? Did the otyugh eat the top half, or has the necromancer taken the rest of it and thrown the leftovers here?"


Heal or Knowledge (nature) or Profession (chef/butcher) DC 10 for anybody close enough to examine the body:

There are some signs, along the bone, of sawing. The skin does not show excessive tearing that would be associated with eating.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Heal (untrained) 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

"Looks like a saw was used," Caulder points out with some relief. "The rest of him might be down here someplace; at least it's not in the otyugh. Find out what it'll take for this half a Shoanti."


"I say we offer the derro," Pagrip says. "Make it look sweet by offering more than one in return for just this half body."


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Am I the only one finding this a little bit... distasteful? All right Ten, ask to trade two blues for a half cut of Shoanti." Esme suggests as she resigns herself to the meat trade.


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

"I'll try," Ten replies to the rest of the party.

"Steyawey, what do you think of the little blues? If we bring you two blues, would you let us borrow this?" Ten asks, pointing to the half-a-Shaonti. "I think that makes a good trade."

More Diplomacy? 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (19) - 1 = 18


"I hear the blues are extra tasty," Pagrip says.

Diplomacy to aid another on Ten: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6


Sense Motive DC 18:

It is really hard to tell, the physiology being so different, but... it appears the otyugh is frowning in thought.

After a pause, the otyugh speaks: "mmmm... bloo... feshh? Ya, joo bring bloo, joo taik legs."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Sense Motive 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 12

1,501 to 1,550 of 1,884 << first < prev | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Crimson Throne of Lore All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.