Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Crimson Throne of Lore

Game Master LoreKeeper


1,401 to 1,450 of 1,884 << first < prev | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | next > last >>

Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Ugh!" Esme exclaims in disgust. "Winged spiders. Make them go away Ten."


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

"33, bomb!" Ten commands. The new limb responds and dutifully drops a catalyst vial down Ten's sleeve and into his waiting hand. Ten smirks, happy with 33's performance thus far, before throwing the charged vial at the derro.

Bomb toss: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
Explosion! 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (3, 5) + 2 = 10
Splash: 4 Damage (DC 13) - (I had the damage wrong on the last toss)


1d20 ⇒ 14
1d20 ⇒ 7
1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 20

The bomb misses the derro, though it - and the nearby stirges - are still caught in the blast. The giant parasites buzz angrily. The derro, too, sputters angry words - followed by the room sinking into a thick darkness.

Next up: Esmerelda, Ten, Caulder, Pagrip, stirges, derro.

On Pagrip's turn, if he moves a bit to get a good view he can describe the position of creatures, so I'll reduce the darkness a bit then to be a bit more transparent.


Updated map


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Hold the line!" Esme shouts as she readies a swipe at the first oversized mosquito (or derro) to come in greatsword range. "Cleric! How about spreading a little light on the situation?"


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

"Hold the line? Easy to say when you're not in front," Ten mutters, "33, mutagen!"

Ten down his mutagen (AC 17, T 11, F 16) and then draws his club.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Actually, shouldn't one of us already have a light active or we wouldn't have been able to see anything down here? Cantrip-level magical light won't counter SLA darkness anyway; that takes a 2nd-level spell or higher, which I don't have.

Caulder brandishes his glowing morningstar against the sphere of darkness, but its light doesn't penetrate into the derro's room. "By the holy light of Abadar!" he essays, then shrugs at Esmerelda.

If you rule we would have had to already have a light to fight the skeletons, he'll use his standard action this round to ready an attack against the first enemy to come in his reach.

Readied attack:
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9


In the first room still enough daylight from outside spilled in to give it some illumination, and I've mentioned that some low light is present in the derro room. Well was present... :P - that said, since Caulder has light on demand, I never really considered it an issue.

Next up: Pagrip, stirges, derro, Esmerelda, Ten, Caulder


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Good start, Cleric. Now say it like you mean it."

Readied Attack:
Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14 Damage: 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (1, 4) + 7 = 12


"Hold?" Pagrip complains. "I can't even see what's going on. Excuse me a moment, Caulder." He squeezes past Caulder and around the corner, positioning himself between the cleric and Esmerelda (I think there's room there; it's hard to tell who's in what square). "Ah," he says.

He rummages in his pack and pulls out a flask of alchemist's fire.


Pagrip pushes himself forward a bit and sees that most of the stirges are happily gorging themselves on the bodies that drape the tables - but two buzz towards Ten with an angry whine. Despite the increased agility in Ten's movements, the unexpected attacks from the dark catch him unprepared and both parasites latch onto him audible tears in Ten's skin.

Stirge 1, touch attack 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21
Stirge 2, touch attack 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (19) + 7 = 26

Pagrip is just in time to see the derro along the north-wall of the room, but then the derro appears to move and disappears.

Next up: Esmerelda, Ten, Caulder, Pagrip, stirges, derro


Map updated


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Assuming Esme can't swat both Stirges...

"Get off me!" Ten yells, "33, Reginald, do something." Popping up from under Ten's collar, 33 swats at one of the stirges.

Tentacle Slam 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (17) + 7 - 2 = 22 (penalty for grapple)
The Damage 1d4 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Ten! Get out of the darkness. I can't see what is attacking you! Cleric, how about more oomph in that light spell?"

Ready again when can see to hit something.

Ready Attack:
Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24Damage: 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (5, 6) + 7 = 18


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Caulder ignores the nattering woman. "Back away out of the dark!" he advises, demonstrating himself. "If they want us, let them come into the light where we can see them."

Caulder backs about 20 feet into the room with the disassembled skeletons, leaving room for the others to follow.

Ready action to attack anything that attacks him:
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12 damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4


Esmerelda sees bits of Ten's form occasionally glimmer out of the dark, as his body partially enters and exits the inky black. She sees a bit of giant insect slap to the floor - after Ten successfully killed and dislodged it.

Caulder backs away into the first chamber, where the illumination from outside, and his own light spell give the hall a washed out dim brightness.

Next up: Pagrip, stirges, derro, Esmerelda, Ten, Caulder

Updated map (and clarified positions)


Realizing he can't get a clear shot, Pagrip reluctantly pulls back with Caulder.

Move 20 ft to get to square southwest of Caulder.

Readied action to throw alchemist's fire at any opponents who come around the corner:
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1


1d100 ⇒ 56

I think Ten got lucky and didn't take any blood drain when the stirge attached; I misread that - but I'll not retcon it. The first half-pint presumably came from 33 rather than Ten ;)

Stirge, grapple to maintain 1d20 + 11 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 11 + 5 = 27 damage: 1 point of Constitution damage

Only the slightest drizzle of wet along Ten's skin tells him that the flow of blood in his body is partially diverted to fill a slowly inflating stirge. Otherwise the darkness reveals nothing except a faint occasional buzz from a stirge.

Next up: Esmerelda, Ten, Caulder, Pagrip, stirges, derro

Map updated


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

Graps Ten and pulls him back into the light. Both move 5ft back. "Defeated... by mere darkness."


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Wouldn't we need grapple checks to move the grapple, or is the single stirge's weight nearly inconsequential? Regardless:

Day of the 33: 1d20 + 7 - 2 ⇒ (1) + 7 - 2 = 6
The Damage: 1d4 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7

HP: 30; Con 13; AC 17, T 11, F 16


No grapple check needed to move; their weight could put you into medium encumbrance though - which can affect your movement and armor-check penalty. But Ten's pretty strong and there's only one on him, I don't think it would make a difference in this case.

Pulled by Esmerelda, Ten emerges from the darkness, a fattening parasite swelling underneath his left armpit.

Next up: Caulder, Pagrip, stirges, derro, Esmerelda, Ten

Map updated


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Caulder growls impatiently, as the action refuses obstinately to come to him. "Draw those things out of there, Darkbane," he complains. "They ought to be drawn to exposed flesh; show a little leg."

Ready, etc.:
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (1) + 5 = 6 damage: 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11 Why does a fumble always pair with a maxed-out damage die? :P


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Do I look like one of your Chelaxian floozies, Cleric?"


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

"Heh. I wish," he grins. "But you're not beyond hope, Darkbane," he assures her, lest her feelings are hurt.


Pagrip continues to hold his flask and wait.

Ready action:
Alchemist's fire: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 6


The stirge underneath Ten's left armpit is beginning to swell visibly, taking on a slightly more purple hue. The darkness beyond reveals nothing except an occasional faint buzz.

Stirge doing what it does best 1d20 + 11 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 11 + 5 = 28 damage: 1 point Constitution damage

Next up: Esmerelda, Ten, Caulder, Pagrip, stirges, derro

Map updated


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Get off him you ugly little..." Esme swipes at the stirge with her greatsword.

Attack: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20 Damage: 2d6 + 7 ⇒ (4, 3) + 7 = 14

"...eeeew"


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Thanks Esmer... stop that, 33! Don't drink that!" Ten scolded the tentacle as it prodded the dead stirge. "Let's head back to Caulder until we figure out how to handle this darkness."

Ten heads to the middle of the intersection, readying a bomb for any nasties that approach from the darkness, covering Esme's withdrawal.

HP: 30; Con 12; AC 17, T 11, F 16


The stirge dies with an unattractive pop that splashes a fair pint of blood. Mostly over Ten and Esmerelda's greatsword and the floor.

I'll pre-empt potential actions by characters by mentioning that nothing exciting comes out of the darkness in the next minute or two. If characters do not wish to wait that long, then just let me know what you're doing. Consider yourselves out of active combat for now.

Near the darkness, Perception DC 13:

A cautious listen still reveals the occasional buzz of stirges inside the darkness.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"I suppose we wait for the darkness to clear. How you feeling Ten? You look a little paler."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

"What are those things, and why won't they come out here and die? Dwarf, you can see in the dark; go in there and herd them out this way."


"Oh sure, I go in there by myself and they kill me," Pagrip grumbles. "Great plan." Nonetheless, he does edge forward and peers around the corner to see what he can see.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 17


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"They seem to be some sort of blood drinking bug. Pagrip, while you herd them try to look unappetising."


Pagrip indeed spies the remaining stirges. They appear to be unbothered by the darkness and feasting on the bodies splayed over the tables. There is no sign of the derro.


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (9) + 7 = 16 (That should be enough to ID them)

"Actually... those are stirges - giant mosquito monsters. Pagrip, try shooting them from here. I'll get ready to swat any that come out of the darkness."


The giant mosquitoes are sitting ducks - weighed heavy and rotund with the blood they are gorged on. They are unresponsive to threats to their companions - and splattered with little effort. The combined tactics of Pagrip and Ten decimate the remaining four stirges in a matter of half a minute.

Nothing else appears to stir in the darkness.

And in nearly half-an-hour the darkness will dissipate, though Ten has heard it rumored that derro can create darkness apparently at will.


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

That's long enough for Ten's mutagen to run out. :(

"Instead of waiting, I could leave Reginald here to keep watch, while we explore the other tunnel."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

"One of those bodies in there could be the one we're looking for," Caulder complains. "Dwarf, can you tell if any of the dead guys is our Shoanti delinquent?"


Pagrip leans over to Ten and says quietly, "You don't suppose that one of these days he might actually learn to use my name, do you?" He straightens back up and says more loudly, "Hold on a sec. Let me check."

He checks each of the bodies to see if any of them match the description of the Shoanti boy.


With a disappointed shrug, Pagrip emerges out of the darkness. "Nope, no Shoanti in there."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Caulder sighs. "Of course not. That would have been too easy. Any other ways out in there? Doors or tunnels?"


There are indeed ways onward in the darkened room (it is not a cul-de-sac), likewise Ten's suggestion of taking the other tunnel are fine too.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Right. Lets go back through the other tunnel while we wait for the darkness to dissipate. Pagrip, keep close, we might need your eyes again."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

"I don't like leaving that dwarf behind us," Caulder growls. "If it sneaks after us and drops more darkness on us from behind while we've run into something else that wants to kill us, we'll be both fighting blind and caught between two enemies. Better to go in after it on our own terms than letting it choose the battlefield."


DM rolls:

1d20 ⇒ 14
1d20 ⇒ 16
1d20 ⇒ 9
Esmerelda Perception 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (16) + 0 = 16
Pagrip Perception 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7

The other tunnel doesn't go far before quickly expanding into a large cavernous room. Rank with the stink of sweat and mud, it contains four filthy straw pallets and a low table covered with dice and a miniature maze of carved clay. Esmerelda, for a moment imagines to hear a scratch, but dismisses it - when suddenly three crazed derros spring out of hiding. One screeches with an unworldly high pitch and an echoing roar erupts right next to Esmeralda and Pagrip.

Sound burst, sonic damage (hits Esmerelda and Pagrip) 1d8 ⇒ 3
Esmerelda Fortitude vs DC 15 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23
Pagrip Fortitude vs DC 15 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14

The paladin's ears ding with the cacophony, but she's undeterred. Her partner, Pagrip, however glazes over as he's stunned from spellshock. The items he held clatter to the floor.

On the far side of the room the other two derro each let loose a bolt, one aimed at the Esmerelda, the other at Pagrip. The crossbows they wield are uncommon - not a design typically seen.

Strange crossbow vs Esmerelda 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24 damage 1d6 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + (1) = 5
Strange crossbow vs Pagrip 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (8) + 5 = 13 damage 1d6 + 1d6 ⇒ (4) + (1) = 5

Strange crossbow vs Esmerelda, crit confirmation 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 damage 1d6 ⇒ 5

Esmerelda Fortitude vs poison DC 14 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (10) + 7 = 17
Pagrip Fortitude vs poison DC 14 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21

The bolts strike true, and only a slight deflection by the symbol of Abadar on Esmerelda's armor prevents a critical hit. Both the paladin and the dwarven rogue feel a cramping sensation where the bolt pierces into their flesh.

Caulder - being furthest from the noise - is first to gather his wits after the spell hit Esmerelda and Pagrip.

Initiatives:

Esmerelda 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2
Caulder 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15
Ten 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8
Pagrip 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11

Derro 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Next up: Caulder, Pagrip (stunned), derro, Ten, Esmerelda

Map updated


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

"See? Just like this," Caulder complains. Being furthest from the noise, the cleric is also furthest from the battle and has no hope of reaching any of the derro in the new room in his encumbering breastplate. Instead, he turns to watch the darkness down the other corridor, watching for the derro still hidden in there to make a sneak attack.

Readied attack on the first derro to come in reach:
1d20 + 5 ⇒ (12) + 5 = 17 damage 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

Good thing that arrow actually didn't hit pagrip (soft cover from Esme)


hmmm... okay, it's a bit open-ended if its partial cover or cover - but I'll rule Pagrip safe from the bolt. Regain +5hp!

This time one of the derro behind the table speaks in a strange shriek that produces another eruption of sound emanating seemingly from right inside the heads of the paladin and the dwarf. This time both are stunned.

Sound burst sonic damage 1d8 ⇒ 7
Esmerelda Fortitude vs DC 15 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14
Pagrip Fortitude vs DC 15 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7

Only one bolt finds its mark, again on Esmerelda, but the poison on the bolt leaves no lasting damage on the righteous physique of the paladin.

Strange crossbow vs Esmerelda 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14 damage 1d6 + 1d6 ⇒ (5) + (1) = 6
Strange crossbow vs Pagrip 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (2) + 5 = 7 damage 1d6 + 1d6 ⇒ (2) + (3) = 5

Esmerelda Fortitude vs poison DC 14 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (14) + 7 = 21

Next up: Ten, Esmerelda (stunned), Caulder, Pagrip (stunned), derro

Why Esmerelda is hit:

I'm not sure if Esmerelda has her shield out or not - but regardless, even if she has it out, it would just hang on her arm now and not aid in defense, thus the attack is against her unshielded flat AC minus 2 (for being stunned). As it is a proper shield strapped to the arm, it does not simply fall to the ground, unlike Esmerelda's weapon (due to being stunned).

No change to the map


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"..."

Esme drops greatsword. Greatsword is de-facto weapon but she always switches to shield in combat for some reason. Anyway now on 8hp so death to follow soon. Thank you eternal stunning.


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Assuming that the mutagen is still running.

"Sounds like magic... Pagrip should be fine, but Darkbane might be in trouble. Come on, Banker," Ten calls to the cleric. Ten shoves his way to the front, to shield the dwarf and paladin, drawing his spear as he moves.

"More derro," Ten mutters to himself as he thrusts his longspear at the nearest blue creep.

Attack 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (6) + 8 = 14
Pierce the Derro 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

HP: 30; Con 12; AC 17, T 11, F 16

1,401 to 1,450 of 1,884 << first < prev | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Crimson Throne of Lore All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.