Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Crimson Throne of Lore

Game Master LoreKeeper


1,351 to 1,400 of 1,884 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>

Assume you're on your way to the Dead Warrens. Unless Caulder (or somebody else) has something special in mind.

Esmerelda:
Nothing new is revealed.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

You act like Caulder's uniquely disruptive or something. ;P

"Damned savages and their nonsensical superstitions," Caulder grumbles after they've left the room. "What in the nine hells happens when one of their 'warriors' is half-eaten by a wild animal? Do they declare war on all firepelts for the insult? No, it's only civilization that ever does any wrong in their eyes.... Hey, Darkbane! It'd be convenient if this necromancer has the body animated, right? Then it could march right back to the old man under its own power." He chuckles at his own joke.


Can't be sure when Caulder purposefully keeps something inside ;) - damn Abadarians! Making the whole game so chaotic! :P


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

I assume this conversation occurs while the party walks to the Dead Warrens

"What a horrible thing to say... Oh. It was a joke. In very poor taste I might add. I am sure if we find any wandering corpses we will make sure they are touched by Abadar's holy light."

holy lighto! holy lighto!


Korvosa's vast graveyard, a place known as the Gray District, is a mournful place even by day. Alone in the city, this place is quiet and calm in the face of the civil unrest, yet this calm is an unnatural stillness in the air, almost as if the graveyard were preparing itself for a vast influx of new dead. Certainly, this ominous feeling is nowhere more noticeable than in Potter's Ward, the final resting ground for Korvosa's poor and homeless. Mounds of unmarked dirt stretch far and wide, indicating sites of mass graves, while crumbling mausoleums from years ago, abandoned by their families as the Gray District expanded to the west, dot the bleak landscape, forgotten and empty. Mourners do not visit here, for the dead buried in Potter’s Ward leave behind few who regret their passing.

Locating the mausoleum proves easy enough. But there's no sign of the body.

Perception DC 15:

Apparently a man has passed by here though, along with a wheelbarrow. Also sets of smaller footprints, with odd four-toed feet. Both going about the same way: into the mausoleum.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

"The Field Marshal's intelligence was good," Caulder grunts, pointing at the tracks in the dirt. "There's the wheelbarrow tracks and the man pushing it. What are these little prints, though: the ones with four toes? And where's the toppled gargoyle? Looks like all these prints go into the mausoleum."

Appropriate Knowledge to identify the tracks? Not that Caulder has it.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

Esme unsheaths her greatsword and gives it a few practise swings "If the footprints go into the mausoleum, then so do we. ...and hope the necromancer has frightened away all the spiders." Esme moves forward and peers into the mausoleum.


Knowledge (nature) DC 20:

The strange four-toed foot prints are possibly derro footprints. Derro are cruel little blue-skinned menaces.

The mausoleum harbors little in the traditional sense of the quiet dignity of the dead. There are signs of disrepair, such as a few broken urns, and the passage of creatures - though it isn't clear where the creatures went.

Perception DC 15:

Though on second sight, a poorly concealed secret trapdoor in the floor is a good place to start looking.


First Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
Second Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

"He may have frightened the spiders away," Pagrip says, "but what has he replaced them with? I'd be much more worried about that."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

"Zombie spiders?" Caulder suggests, smiling in Esmerelda's direction to see how she'll react to that prospect.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (3) + 0 = 3

"Oh please, Abadar no. Crawly undead with all those hairy legs." Esme shudders. "Urgh."


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

1st Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (15) + 8 = 23
Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24
2nd Perception: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (1) + 8 = 9

"This looks like a Derro print..." Ten muttered as he examined the prints Caulder found, "Difficult to make out where they went from here..."

Maybe Reginald can help with the 2nd Perception check?

Eyes of the Hedgehog: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Nope. Not even Reginald.


The mausoleum appears quite devoid of the traditional things associated with these tombs. Certainly no corpses or bones.

As the party explores, Pagrip may make an additional check to notice unusual stonework.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"They came in. But they did not leave. Maybe we should do a thorough search of this empty mausoleum."

Perception again?


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Tendrizu, kneeling over the tracks, lets experiment 33 run down his sleeve to 'taste' the trail. Ten tries to keep 33 somewhat hidden during the process (Esme might scare easily (especially with all the talk of spiders) and Caulder would find some sort of tax to apply).

"Good boy, 33," Ten mutters as the tentacle begins tugging him along the Derro trail. Then louder: "I think they went this way."


That would be a survival check to track, Ten (and a DC 10 bluff or sleight-of-hand if you're trying to conceal 33).


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Seems I lost my dice roll in my copy-paste from note pad. Let's hope the die roller is still good to me.

Bluff 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (8) - 1 = 7
Survival 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

"Derro? That's a kind of dwarf, right?" Caulder asks, with a curious glance at Pagrip's feet. "I didn't know dwarves only had four toes."


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Ten, what is that you have up your sleeve? If it is what it seems to be then you are indeed blessed by the gods."


Ten manages to locate the epicenter of various tracks and signs of passage: a fairly basic hidden trapdoor that grants access to rooms below.

And I hope to get a map up for you guys to explore tomorrow :)


Sorry. The map is delayed; as Google Docs doesn't want to play with me :(


Google docs apparently hate me now and won't let me open/create any documents. Instead I've created a layered image that lets me manipulate parts easily and placed the party inside and uploaded it to the campaign site (in the Library). Its the DeadWarrens map.

Link to map

As the four descend they are greeted by a stale sickly odor. They find themselves in a large room, supported by four wide pillars of stone. The ceiling above arches in a dome nearly twenty feet high. The walls are lined with skeletons caked into the mud - human bones mostly, but here and there smaller bones might be from halflings, or perhaps children. Fifteen-foot-square pits sit to the east and west, each filled with a large heap of hundreds of bones. To the south, a crude hole has been gouged into the wall, providing access to a tunnel.

Perception DC 15:
The bone-filled pits to the north and east both seem to stir a little.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

What vile, unforgiveable things have you done to Google, Lore? ;)
Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Eyes of the Alchemist 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19

Hedgehog sense tingling...

"Did you see that?" Ten asked the others as he noticed the bones shifting around.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

Perception: 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6

"What? I don't see anything." Esme's sword at the ready.


Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (16) + 6 = 22

Pagrip nods at Ten's question. "Yeah, looks like something's living in those pits. We'd best be careful." He pulls out his crossbow and loads it. "Just a precaution," he says.


Initiatives
Caulder 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (6) + 0 = 6
Ten 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (12) + 1 = 13
Esmerelda 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Pagrip 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13
Monsters, humanoid skeletons 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Monsters, large bestial skeleton 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26

Ten and Pagrip get to act in the surprise round; I've had the skeletons act already to expedite the start

With a distinct clatter of bone on bone, parts of both heaps of bones in the pits to the east and west rise to reveal themselves as the risen and bleached dead. Half a dozen humanoid skeletons scuttle forth from the one side - but from the other a massive boned monstrosity climbs out.

Next up: Pagrip, Ten, (full round starts) Large Skeleton, Pagrip, Ten, Other Skeletons, Esmerelda, Caulder

In your character's turn: Knowledge (nature) DC 16:

You think to be certain that the remains you see of the large skeleton belong to an owlbear.


"Figures," Pagrip mutters and looses his crossbow bolt at the big skeleton.

Crossbow: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21
Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 3

He then discards the crossbow. Free action to drop crossbow.


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Knowledge (nature): 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24

"That!" Ten answers Esme.

"Dead or alive, owlbears do not like fire."

Ten takes a 5-foot step to the north west and then tosses a bomb at the owlbear (SE corner).

Attack (touch): 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
Damage: 2d6 + 2 ⇒ (4, 1) + 2 = 7
Splash: 3 damage (DC 13)


Map updated

The skeletal owlbear raises its head, the strange beak opening in what should be a bone-chilling howl - but instead only eerie silence interrupted by bone-on-bone grating is heard. The undead creature clambers along the floor with surprising limber strides, then its beak tears at Caulder, leaving a sizable chunk of flesh missing from the cleric's arm.

Bite 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20 damage 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9

Next up: Pagrip, Ten, Other Skeletons, Esmerelda, Caulder, Large Skeleton


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

Knowledge(religion) 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19 to know skellies weak...um...bones. I guess the answer is "Smash it with a hammer!"


"You know, bones really shouldn't be moving around without skin and muscles," Pagrip says. "It's just not right." He pulls out his warhammer and attacks.

Move action: draw warhammer. 5-ft step east to nearest skeleton. Attack!
Warhammer: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
Damage: 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (7) + 1 = 8

If that's enough to pulverize the thing...
"And stay down!" he growls at the pile of bones.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Did Ten's bomb do any appreciable damage to the owlbear skeleton?


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

"Anatomy lessons, Pagrip?" Ten asks while drawing his heavy club. He steps up next to Caulder, standing north of the owlbear and west of the priest (Provoking?).

Movement combined with drawing club. Attack!
Club 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
The Hurt 1d8 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10

That damage, combined with the bomb, should be enough. Right?


Map updated

Pagrip's initial crossbow shot deflected of the bone entirely harmless. Ten followed up with a decent attempt at an incindary device - and would've connected if the creature was still alive; now with all the gaps between the bones the bomb passes through the creature relatively harmlessly and explodes charring the lower quarters of the dead owlbear black a little.

Pagrip's next attempt at undead devestation leaves no room for doubt and the skeleton before him crumbles to the floor. Ten's physical attack is also considerably more effective than his initial bombing - but the large skeletal beast still towers menacingly above Caulder and Ten.

The smaller skeletons scrabble forward, their rusty weapons and claws waving viciously. One strikes with broken scimitar at Esmerelda; another gets to Pagrip and claws at his face. Neither attack deals damage - though the paladin can be thankful for her armor that absorbs the brunt of the scimitar.

Broken scimitar vs Esmerelda 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (15) + 0 = 15 damage 1d6 ⇒ 1

Claw vs Pagrip 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 4 damage 1d4 + 2 ⇒ (1) + 2 = 3

Next up: Esmerelda, Caulder, Large Skeleton, Pagrip, Ten, Other Skeletons.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

Esme drops her greatsword, draws her warhammer and shield, takes a 5 foot step between the columns and swings at the owlbear skeleton

Warhammer attack:1d20 + 6 ⇒ (14) + 6 = 20 damage:1d8 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

"Yaaargh!"


Even with Esmerelda's crushing blow, the undead owlbear still stands, its giant claws menacing to ravage all before it.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Knowledge (nature) (untrained)1d20 ⇒ 1

"Don't know what in the Nine Hells you are," Caulder grits out between clenched teeth to the remains of the owlbear, "but I know anything walking around just bones is undead ... which means that this is going to hurt." Presenting his holy symbol, he channels the power of Abadar to weaken the necromantic energy holding the dry skeletons together, then draws his morningstar.

Channel Positive Energy 2d6 ⇒ (6, 6) = 12 Will for half-damage DC 11; draw weapon

Hey! Desna might not like her clerics to go underground, but Abadar seems all in favor! Don't suppose you're going to borrow Navior's houserule about healing and harming at the same time? ;)


I think I'll not adopt this house rule for now - in part because "here" it may horribly backfire on you. Or not. :)

Undead Owlbear Will Save 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10
The humanoid skeletons get no save, as it doesn't matter if they make it or not.

A powerful surge of energy erupts from that leaves faint half-heard echoes of commerce and construction in the air. The positive power completely tears away the dark energies animating the undead remains - the bones clatter to the floor before the brief light from the holy symbol begins to diminish.

Combat over


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

"Damn straight," Caulder nods with vindication at the fallen bones. He straightens his tabard but keeps his morningstar in hand.


A brief search of the remains reveals nothing of value, nor of interest. Certainly no recently deceased Shoanti remains.


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

"Showing off, Caulder?" Ten quips as he picks through the owlbear remains. "Hmph, nothing of alchemical worth... though I know exactly where I would mount the skull back home."

Ten absentmindedly rubs his hands on his clothing, leaving streaks of dust, as he stands. "Shall we proceed? he asks as he heads south.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

Esme kicks the owlbear remains to make sure its ... dead and stows her hammer and shield.

Retrieving her greatsword she adds "Cleric, shouldn't you say something like 'By Abadar's holy light begone!'. 'Damn straight' is not very pious." Esme looks around for coins or gold "See? No riches. Abadar does not approve." as she follows Ten south.


Ten strides forth, the party following right behind. It doesn't take long for him to come at a fork in the tunnel.


Updated map


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

"'Why, thank you, Caulder, for employing the mighty abilities granted to you by a deity himself to spare us all the risk of injury or death in a protracted battle.'" Caulder grumbles to himself as he follows. "Take the wider fork," he advises, nodding to the left tunnel, as Ten pauses at the point of decision. "We haven't found the wheelbarrow yet, and it would roll easier down the wider path, especially with a dead Shoanti sticking out both sides."


"Why, thank you, Caulder, for employing the mighty abilities granted to you by a deity himself to spare us all the risk of injury or death in a protracted battle," Pagrip says with a grin. "Seriously, that was pretty impressive. I also agree with taking the wider path."


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

"Speaking of wheelbarrows, perhaps our necromancer left a clue," Ten comments as he kneels to examine the ground for tracks.

Perception 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20
Survival 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (12) + 6 = 18


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

Esme fights the urge to grin at Pagrips quip "But is it the right path? Only one way to find out."


Map updated
Guess who discovered how to reveal map elements in shapes unlike big squares :)

1d20 ⇒ 11

Ten does manage to pick up signs of passage that could stem from a wheelbarrow - though its indistinct. The passage appears to see frequent use. His investigation is interrupted when he hears a throaty language yell out in surprise. The passage widens into a dimly lit room - the source of the voice is a pale blue humanoid with bulging eyes and wild tangled hair. Three wooden tables stand in the room, each drenched in blood both fresh and old. Bodies lie on some of them, and several stirges gorge themselves on the bodies.

Ten recognizes the creature as a derro.

Language: Aklo:
"Who's there? Intruders!?"

Ten Initiative 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
Derro Initiative 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21

Although Ten is fast, it is but a moment for the derro to step to the hutch containing a few more stirges and flinging it open wildly.

Other initiatives:

Esmerelda 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (20) + 1 = 21
Caulder 1d20 + 0 ⇒ (18) + 0 = 18
Pagrip 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16
Stirges 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7

Next up: Ten (end of surprise round), derro, Esmerelda, Ten, Caulder, Pagrip, stirges.

1,351 to 1,400 of 1,884 << first < prev | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Crimson Throne of Lore All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.