Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Crimson Throne of Lore

Game Master LoreKeeper


1,251 to 1,300 of 1,884 << first < prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | next > last >>

Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

"Idiots. You wanted to string her up yourself two days ago," Caulder mumbles as he moves as quickly as he can toward the demagogue, trying to get within 35 feet of him.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

To the hellknight in front of Esme she yells "Move aside hellknight! You are directly responsible for aiding a vigilante. Think for yourself and stand aside!"

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

The crowd surges back and forth - leaving all in it with somewhat unsteady footing. In the commotion the hellknights are remarkably organised keeping a steady weapon at the ready and yielding almost no foot. Trinia herself is still chained and secured by four of the hellknights, on the stage.

Sense Motive DC 15:
In spite of the commotion, Trinia doesn't appear to fully realize what is going on. She's apathetic and initiates no actions.

Blackjack brandishes his weapon, a rapier, with a flourish. As he holds it high up drawing the attention of mostly everybody a sudden bright light erupts.

Everybody in 30ft that did not actively avert their eyes get to make a DC 12 Reflex save or be dazzled for 1 round. This includes Esmerelda and Pagrip.


Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22
Reflex: 1d20 + 6 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 6 + 2 = 20 I'm assuming this is a spell or spell-like effect, so I've included his dwarven bonus. If it's something else, just subtract the extra +2. Not that it makes a difference in this case. :)

Pagrip shields his eyes with his hand. "Nice trick," he says. He continues to make no actual attempt to interfere with Blackjack's activities.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (7) + 6 = 13
Reflex save: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 15

"The light of justice cannot be blinded by more ... light. "
Esme sighs "It sounded a lot better in my head."

"Now stand aside, hellknights. If you won't take Blackjack into custody, I shall!"

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

The hellknights act in near unison, a maralictor - a lower-ranking hellknight of commanding rank - barks orders in a language that is hard to understand (especially over the crowd). But the hellknights themselves act swiftly in response. Their line backs away slightly, forming a tighter circle around the hangman's platform. Every third hellknight turns around to face the platform, readying their weapon should Blackjack risk retreat in their direction. The remaining two-thirds keep their weapons at the crowd. One, nearest to Esmerelda, shakes his head at her, apologetically.

Language: Infernal:

Even knowing that the hellknight speaks in Infernal, his actual words are unintelligible - encoded with commands and jargon from hellknight drills.

If you want to achieve something specific, let me know, and I'll determine the appropriate mechanical requirements to make it happen.

Knowledge (arcana) DC 15:

Surprisingly, the dazzling light trick appears to have no substantial magic associated with it.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Per above, Caulder's still trying to get within 35 feet of the action.


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Sense Motive 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 13

Knowledge (arcana) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14

Ten eyes the wall of hellknights and decides against getting any closer. He does, however, try to spot any of his vigilante friends (Caulder, Esme or Pagrip). "In a situation like this," Ten mumbles to Reginald, "I expect one of the Bankers to do something incredibly stupid."

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (8) + 7 = 15

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

Imagine a "V" constellation, with Esmerelda and Pagrip at the sharp point, and Caulder and Ten at the two wings respectively (with much crowd in between). Ten is roughly 60ft from Esmerelda and Pagrip, Caulder is about 80ft. (And Ten and Caulder are some 80ft apart.) Esme and Pagrip are 25ft from the "action" (defining the action as centered on Blackjack).

In the case of Caulder and Ten, a Strength or Dexterity check can push/squeeze you forward equal to the value rolled (rounded down to the nearest 5ft); so a result of "18" nets you 15ft of movement.

Esmerelda and Pagrip need to make a more hands-on plan if they wish to go after Blackjack (or aid Trinia, or something else).


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

"Stand aside!" Caulder bellows, displaying his holy symbol as he pushes through the crowd. "Let me through!" Intimidate 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14

Strength 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (7) + 3 = 10

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

It is a bit adhoc, but I'll allow justified use of supporting skills (such as Caulder's intimidate) to aid the Strength/Dexterity check. The rule is +1 bonus for DC 10, then an additional +1 for every 5 by which the DC is exceeded. Other skills that could work (off the cuff) would be Acrobatics and Escape Artist


Knowledge (arcana): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17

"Very nice trick," Pagrip mutters. He continues to watch.

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

Anybody who wishes to push on is welcome to keep going.

Blackjack's face is hidden, but there's a certain threat in his voice as he approaches the four hellknights that hold Trinia chained in their middle: "There's much the queen has to answer for, but the tools of her trade aren't without guilt either. Stand down, you need not be harmed."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Intimidate 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17
Strenth 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8

If I'm figuring right he's moved 20 feet in 2 rounds so should be 60 feet away. Just let me know how many rounds I have to act in.


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Ten and Reginald try to maintain their relative position while trying again to spot Pagrip, Esme or Caulder.

Perception 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23

If successful, Ten tries to push his way through to his friend(s)

Strength 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (19) + 3 = 22 = 20 feet

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

Ten successfully squashes his way along; his lumbering frame lending him a certain gravitas that makes it comparatively easy to wade through the crowd. Not thaaat far ahead he sees Pagrip and Esmerelda, though where the cleric is, is anybodies guess.

Caulder, for his part, pushes forward with steady inevitability. A mere 60 feet from Esmerelda and Pagrip.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Speak common, hellknight. How can you hope to maintain the peace if you can't speak the language? At least your friends are doing something about the vigilante."

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

For the sake of expedience, anybody that wants to do actions can do 3 in a row.

Two of the hellknights chaining Trinia let go of their chains and engage Blackjack. The black-clad cad seems to welcome their attention, his rapier flashes too and fro - he holds himself well against the two heavily armored warriors.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Intimidate 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (5) + 13 = 18
Strength 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 9
Intimidate 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (9) + 13 = 22
Strength 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6
Intimidate 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17
Strength 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (18) + 3 = 21

Using his holy symbol and official uniform to clear the way as much as his brute strength, Caulder continues to push toward the vigilante and assassin.

Assuming he has 3 more rounds to act, that moves him 30 feet closer, leaving him 55 feet from Blackjack.

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

That's 35ft by my reckoning Caulder, the check for 6 (+3) is still worth 5 feet of progress.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

That's cool. Earlier you said rounded down to the nearest 5, but I'll take the extra 5 feet.

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

9 + 2 = 10ft
6 + 3 = 5ft
21 + 2 = 20ft

totals 35ft, surely? :)

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

Blackjack is holding his two hellknight assailants at equal footing; they fail to harm him significantly - but conversely, he fails to subdue them. The captain of the hellknights barks more orders in infernal, then walks towards Esmerelda and commands her: "My men are securing the platform; I am under strict orders to ensure the traitor be hanged. This... gathering," there's thick distate in his voice as he refers to the crowd, "is putting the execution at risk. Restore order!"

Another triplicate of actions, if you will.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"The only disorder I see is on the platform, Captain. Let me on."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Intimidate 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (1) + 13 = 14
Strength 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Intimidate 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (4) + 13 = 17
Strength 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20
That ought to get him to the front of the crowd. Assume the Hellknights will stop him 25 feet from the site of the execution, like Esmerelda.
Third action:

Having finally shoved and bullied his way to the front of the crowd, Caulder fixes an angry gaze on the treasonous presence of the vigilante and shouts, "Hit the ground, seditionist!" Command SLA: Fall: On its turn, the subject falls to the ground and remains prone for 1 round. It may act normally while prone but takes any appropriate penalties. Will DC 13


Pagrip continues to watch. He fidgets a bit, but otherwise remains still.


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Strength 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (14) + 3 = 17
Strength 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (15) + 3 = 18
Strength 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

15 + 15 + 10 = 40 feet. With the previous 20, that puts Tendrizu right behind Pagrip and Esmerelda.

"Pagrip, why is Darkbane arguing with a Hellknight?" Ten asks without bothering to announce his presence first.

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

GM rolls:

1d20 ⇒ 4
1d20 ⇒ 10
1d20 ⇒ 2
1d20 ⇒ 7

Blackjack skillfully parries a thrust by a hellknight and is about to launch into a riposte when he's suddenly forced to the ground by an unknown force. He shows remarkable physical resilience and presence of mind, as his drop is tempered by an outstretched knee and steadied with his off-hand. Even now he doesn't give up his counter-attack, though suddenly limited he does not reach for the gap in the heavy armor, instead opting to foil the grip of one of his assailants. With an audible clank the halberd reverberates against the hard wood. The other hellknight is quick to cease the opportunity but his attack sails wide of the hooded man.

The captain clenches his jaw at Esmerelda's words - but as events unfold he takes note of Caulder's actions and the persistent stain on his efforts that is the black-clad man. "Very well! Paladin! Get on there and assist! You!" he barks at the two hellknights holding Trinia in chains, "proceed with the hanging immediately!"


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

Esme grins a grin that is almost one of Caulders sneers "Excellent." She grabs Pagrip, shoves past the hellknight blocking her way and attempts to bodily throw Pagrip on the stage while she clambers on after him "Mind if I bring some friends?"

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

"An odorous dwarf? N-- ...ah just take him already. And may Asmodeus take you both." He blusters some more orders at the hellknights holding the circle around the platform. There's an uncertain mood in the air as the masses of onlookers are of unequal mind, and a certain friction is developing.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

Esme nods at the captain and climbs onto the stage. She levels her sword at Blackjack. "I shall give you this one chance to surrender, vigilante"


Pagrip grumbles as he's pulled onto the stage. "I try not to get involved and... He straightens himself up and brushes himself off.

When Esme calls out to Blackjack, he sighs and says, "She means it. She'll give you one chance and then she'll fight you. One of you will lose. Because she's my friend, I'll feel the need to defend her, even though she's fighting for an injustice which she knows is an injustice." He gives Esme pointed looks at each emphasized word. He shrugs at Blackjack. "Paladins, eh? They fight for what's right even when it's not right."

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

Blackjack dispatches the second hellknight with an unexpected smash with his weapon's pommel to the temple. The hellknight falls limp as consciousness instantly ceases.

"If you believe what you say," the man replies, "I'd be indebted if you not aided her, but prevented those two." Blackjack momentarily nods to the two hellknights that have Trinia in chains and prepare to hang her. The girl still seems dazed, clearly not fully comprehending what is going on around her.

"Shall we, my dear?" Blackjack lifts his rapier, holding it upward close to his chest in a duelist's salute towards Esmerelda.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

How'd he smash the guy in the temple from the ground? They should both have gotten an AoO on him when he rose from prone.

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

GM rolls:

1d20 ⇒ 9
1d20 ⇒ 11
1d20 ⇒ 12

I was rolling the rounds forward to move proceedings along without filling out all the details; so things happened each time I posted, but not every actor got their events publicized. Let's do some rolls... only one AOO for standing up, as the other guy is still disarmed. hmmm, nothing out of the ordinary happened, so the story stays as is.[ooc]

[ooc]Caulder didn't seem keen to toss in another action so if you wish to retcon in another action at this point, that is fine. (Essentially each time I post you may consider it license to post new actions for yourself).


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

I was waiting for him to get up so I could throw something else at him. How am I supposed to know he's not prone anymore if you don't narrate it? :P

Caulder winces in disgust at the spectacle of the fearsomely-armored warriors who can't hit a man when he's flat on the floor at their feet. "Living off their damned reputation. When's the last time they ever did anything with those halberds but parade with them? Where's the damned Sable Company?" he barks to the nearest Hellknight officer. "We need eyes in the sky, now!"

When Esmerelda advances onto the platform, he grins. "Darkbane!" he shouts from the crowd. "I've got your back! May Law and civilization ever prevail over Chaos and anarchy," he intones, and a golden glowing longsword is forged of sheer force with the sound of coins clanking against one another -- or a lock turning in a prison door.

Cast spiritual weapon to coincide with Esmerelda's first round of combat. Spiritual weapon round 1/3: Attack Blackjack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10 damage 1d8 ⇒ 3


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

"Don't worry, Reginald, we're not going up there. We don't want to land into any more trouble than we needed... Wait, a floating, glowing longsword? Where did Caulder learn how to do that? Yes, that's what I'm thinking too - why hasn't he used that to help us out before?"

Ten watches the unfolding action, still unsure of what to do. Should he save Trinia or help arrest Blackjack?


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Pagrip, don't get me started on what is right and what is not right. Breaking the law is not right. Not getting a proper trial is not right. Freeing a prisoner is not right. Making such a big show of it is definitely not right. This whole situation is not right. This execution should be stopped pending further investigation. Until then I am going to take out a certain vigilante that is definitely not in the right."

Attack Blackjack with Greatsword: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (15) + 7 = 22
Damage: 1d8 + 7 ⇒ (1) + 7 = 8

"Oh I am sorry, Mr Blackjack. Was that a surrender?"


Pagrip shuffles on his feet a bit, then says, "Yes, you're right. This whole situation is a terrible tragedy of justice, Esmerelda! You deal with that ragamuffin vigilante person guy." Speaking more loudly, he adds, "I'll just stand over here and make sure he doesn't hurt the prisoner before she can get a retrial!" He moves over and tries to stand beside Trinia.

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

Esmerelda's greatsword smashes a visible cleft into the wood next to the caped man. Although her attack was good, Blackjack had stepped out the way of the swing. His head snaps to the side a moment later, leaving the spiritual weapon beside him to miss his throat.

"Certainly not, but I was hoping that it would not come to this," the black-clad man thrusts his rapier with unexpected speed, cutting a red line on Esmerelda's arm. As his head comes close his breath carries words softly to the paladin, "Please cease this duel; I can prove Miss Sabor's innocence if I can get her away from her execution." Apparently this is not the only thing he does, after the thrust his previously free hand is holding a vial with a translucent pale blue liquid.

Attack (without bonus shown) 1d20 ⇒ 14 damage 1d6 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5

That is 5 non-lethal damage for Esmerelda.

Esmerelda, Sense Motive DC 14:

Esmerelda realizes the person before her is an experienced combatant. His moves are precise and in spite of his flamboyant actions towards the crowd, in his duel with her no movement appears superfluous. It is unlikely that such combat discipline was bred on the street.

...

One of the hellknights holding a chain to Trinia extends a sizable mallet towards Pagrip. "Don't interfere dwarf! The murderer will be hung now." While he speaks his partner is busy preparing the noose.

Pagrip, Sense Motive DC 10:

From this close Pagrip can make out the hint of a tear in one corner of Trinia's eyes. The eyes appear mostly glazed over, but Pagrip can sense an unsteady beat and flicker of fear in the eyes, like that of a trapped animal.

Pagrip realizes that Trinia is not merely drugged to be docile - instead her body has been made pliable, while her mind is still conscious and terrified.


Sense Motive: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (10) + 5 = 15

"Who said anything about interfering?" Pagrip replies. "I'm going to protect her from him." He points to Blackjack. "So you do your job and let me do mine. And don't forget to look out for accomplices. I bet he has one around here somewhere."

Bluff: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

He then does his best to surreptitiously cast ghost sound to make the sound of someone moving under the stage, beneath the Hell Knight.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

"Prove it now or begone, Blackjack!" Esme exclaims as she moves herself between the captive and Blackjack. Esme keeps the point of her greatsword pointed at Blackjacks heart. Full defensive


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Spiritual weapon 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13 damage 1d8 ⇒ 4

"Come on, Darkbane, don't give up," Caulder complains from the sidelines. "Abadar's keyring, if it's not a beard, it's a mask. What is it with women and men whose faces they can't see?"

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

The hellknight next to Pagrip shouts a warning and several more hellknights that form part of the circle around the platform try to hold position but also peer backwards underneath the platform.

...

Blackjack's rapier lashes out towards the paladin, but although it looks dangerous from afar the thrust is well clear of Esmerelda. Between gritted teeth he whispers, "My word, here, means nothing, the queen's verdict is beyond contestation by the common man or woman, even you. But I have prepared a place where Trinia is safe and a woman who can verify her innocence - a woman who's word weighs heavily in Korvosa, even the queen will have to admit to her testimony."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Spiritual weapon 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11 damage 1d8 ⇒ 7

What a waste of a 2nd-level spell slot. With those single-digit rolls, I couldn't have hit a CR 1/2 warrior.

"Hells, men, are you trying to give the vigilante a platform for his treasonous speech?" Caulder roars at the dithering Hellknights just standing around the condemned woman. "Do something!" Fed up with the Hellknights' refusal to act, he advances toward the scaffold himself, turning a furious glare at anyone who tries to stop him. Intimidate 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (20) + 13 = 33

Trying to get between Blackjack and Trinia. I knew that once I wasn't rolling to hit anymore, I'd get a 20. :P


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Ten moves along the edge of the platform, trying to keep a clear view of Pagrip. He didn't want the dwarf to land up in chains because of the two Bankers.

"Reginald, I need you to go help Pagrip," Ten whispered as he pulled the poor hedgehog from his stomach and then hurled the little familiar at Trinia. "Take that, murderer!"

Reginald Fastball Special, aiming for Trinia (Ten has Throw Anything feat): 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (13) + 3 = 16

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

Before I continue - Pagrip and Esmerelda; do you wish to react in some way to Ten's and Blackjack's actions?


Can Pagrip hear what Blackjack has been whispering to Esmerelda? I've been going on the assumption that he can't because of the noise of the crowd and the Hell Knights.

Dedicated Voter 2013, Star Voter 2014

Usually we let the dice decide :) - make it a DC 18 check


So be it. Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Pagrip is apparently unaware that Blackjack is even there. ;)

Pagrip looks a little startled when Ten throws Sir Reginald at Trinia. Then he looks aghast. "Careful!" he yells at the Hell Knights. "That thing will eat through her bonds, but it will eject a deadly poisonous cloud at anyone who tries to remove it. But don't worry. I have experience with these things and know how to remove it. Stand back and I'll remove it so the prisoner can't get away!"

Okay, dice roller. You've had your natural 1. Now be good to me. Please.
Bluff: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25

1,251 to 1,300 of 1,884 << first < prev | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Crimson Throne of Lore All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.