Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Crimson Throne of Lore

Game Master LoreKeeper


1,101 to 1,150 of 1,884 << first < prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | next > last >>

Pagrip sighs and mutters under his breath, "I seem to recall saying something about discrete."


"Trinia? Good kid, who's asking?" is the suspicious reply.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Bank of Abadar." Esme shows her holy symbol "We have heard she is in some trouble and wish to offer her protection. Do you know where we can find her?"

This feels a bit like cops :)


"Well your protection don't mean nothing if she aint here." His voice is a bit hoarse, but he manages to raise it some more, "Margarat?! Where'd blondie go?!"

Somewhere from behind him a woman's voice hollers back, "Who?! Trinia? She at the market?"

The man rolls his eyes, "No! Not the damned market!" He pays attention to Esmerelda, and then Pagrip and Ten. Then back at Esmerelda. "Your flunkies look like protection, alright."


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Which market would that be, sir? And I assure you we are very good protection."


"I said not the damned market, the old hag - " he thumbs over his shoulder, "she's not quite there half the time." He adds, "Trinia probably left the city by now; if she has any sense."

Caulder and Reginald, Perception DC 15:

Despite being a bit captivated by the exchange between Esmerelda and the old man, there's a sudden new bit of interest: what looks and sounds like an angry mob is making the bend at the street. They may very well be heading this way.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20

"Let him know that 'good kid' of his is about to need the protection we're offering -- if he'll tell it where to find her," Caulder calls into the interior of the tenement building. "Hells, he's probably going to need it, too. Looks like the Sabor skirt's address just leaked to the street. Where are the damned Hellknights?" he wonders to himself, squinting at the approaching mob.


Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

:(


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Listen, good sir. That mob is looking for her and they don't care who they hurt to get her. If you have any idea where we can find her, now would be a good time to tell us before they get here."

Lord Reginald is uglier than I imagined.


Pagrip moves between the man and Esmerelda. He says to the man, "My friend here may be a bit blunt, but she's telling you the truth. There are a whole bunch of people coming who want to string Miss Trinia up. They'll probably kill her in their zealousness before any authorities can even get close enough to intervene. But we can get her to safety before that mob can reach her. And trust me, that mob will reach her eventually, and they may just string you up on their way to her. If you can tell us where to find her, I give you my word we'll do everything in our power to protect her from that mob. Not to mention, we'll be rather grateful."

He pulls out a gold coin.

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14


The man looks a bit flustered, as the sound of an approaching mob is getting quite audible. "Gods know, there's nothing more we can do for her. You there - " he shouts unnecessarily loud to Caulder, " - you buy them time. You three here, Trinia's still in her apartment, last I heard at least, 3rd floor last door on the right. May Sheylin watch over her." With a sigh of exasperation he turns back to his room.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Caulder sets his face grimly, rolls his shoulders to limber up, and shifts his stance to more fully fill the doorway as the mob approaches.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Well done Pagrip. Maybe you should do the talking from now on? I scare people for some reason."

"Caulder, can you handle the mob with Reginald?"


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

"Third floor, last door on the right? Got it" Ten repeated before heading towards the stairs. "Caulder", he called out to the cleric, "Good luck. Reginald will keep you safe."


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

Esme follows Ten up the stairs.

"Just yell if you need help, Caulder."


"Thank you, good sir," Pagrip says as the man turns away. "You may have helped save a life today. He hurries up the stairs with the others.


Perception DC 18:
Just on the edge of hearing, the old man seems to mumble to himself. "Or condemned four more. Sheylin's mercy."

The Stair Climbers:

The building is old and nowhere is it more obvious than on the stairs. Their partially broken, and on the last flight up to the third floor the stone stairs are replaced with wooden ones.

It is blessedly simple to follow the old man's instructions - and the trio finds themselves in front of a closed wooden door.

Caulder:

At a loose count, Caulder estimates some 60 or more people that make up the mob. The crowd is relatively tightly packed, chanting and baying for blood. They don't appear to be making any effort to assemble before Caulder - opting instead to attempt to absorb him into their mass.

Caulder, Sense Motive DC 20:

At the size of the mob, he thinks it likely that a couple of smaller mobs joined up. Given the distribution of people that appear to be fronters, gaters and moths, it is all the more likely that.


Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (18) + 6 = 24

Pagrip smirks, and mutters, "Let's hope not," and continues up the stairs.

Once upstairs by the door, he knocks lightly. "Miss Trinia," he says. "Please don't be alarmed. It may be difficult to believe right now, but we're friends here to help you. There are some rather unpleasant people on their way, and we'd like to make sure they don't harm you."

Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 18

DM:
LoreKeeper wrote:
They don't appear to be making any effort to assemble before Caulder - opting instead to attempt to absorb him into their mass.

Not sure what this means, nor what kind of roll I'd have to make for him to stand his ground in the doorway. Shouldn't it be some sort of Bullrush or something on the crowd's part vs. his CMD? He will take an AoO at the first person who tries to move past him into the tenement.

Sense Motive 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 2 = 7

"Not interested in Shelyn or mercy," he growls under his breath. "Damned hippies. Listen up!" he shouts to the crowd as they approach. "[bigger]This is an unlawful assembly you're participating in, as I'm sure the Hellknights have informed you. The rightful authorities of Korvosa have the situation in hand; no vigilanteism is called for. Go back to your homes and businesses, or I will be forced to take action in the name of the Bank and the City!" He brandishes his morningstar at the ready menacingly. Intimidate 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (2) + 13 = 15


Caulder:

You've handled it quite fine - what I meant was that they were simply planning to go through you, as if they were a liquid. But in mob form.

The mob forms a half circle around the door, watching Caulder a bit warily. A voice from inside the crowd shouts, "The b+@~@ who killed the king is in there! We need to get her!" There's cries of consent, pitchforks, torches and sundry are waved about. The mob is looking like they may turn this violent.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

DM:
"The suspect," Caulder attempts to raise his voice above the crowd's clamor, "is being taken into custody at this very moment by the proper authorities. You don't want to rush in there and distract them, give her a chance to get away, right? Besides, the only way you're getting in here is by perpetrating assault on the person of a Banker." He taps the haft of his morningstar against his opposite palm casually. "Good way to end up hanging on the end of a rope alongside Trinia Sabor."

Meh, hate when I miss a tag and don't notice until too late to fix. It's been a crazy day. :P Let me know if I need to roll another Intimidate.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Pagrip, we don't have time for this. The mob is almost here. We have to get her to safety."

"Miss Trinia, Bank of Abadar! We are here to keep you safe." Esme says as she tries to open the door.


Not surprisingly, the door is locked. No sound is apparent from the inside. The door itself doesn't appear particularly sturdy, the lock itself appears quite mundane too.

Caulder:

In one or two posts Caulder can make another Intimidate.

The mob is almost starting to become a mere crowd, when a rock suddenly clanks against Caulder's armor. It doesn't hurt, but almost instantly the mob's aggression returns.

Thrown rock 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Caulder, Perception DC 15 and Knowledge (local) DC 20:

Caulder catches a glimpse of the rock thrower - and recognizes him as Jimm Kerinsman, a none-notable member of society who's known offenses have been limited to loitering. Caulder has had passing acquaintance with him during his patrols.


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

"Esmerelda, unless you can think of some law that forbids us from breaking through this door, under these circumstances, you'd better let us know now," Ten said as knelt down to examine the lock. "Pagrip, I think we can easily beat this lock... I think if I place an explosive right there..."

Aid another Disable Device 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22


Disable Device: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (9) + 10 = 19

"Explosive?" Pagrip says. "Let's not destroy physical property if we can avoid it. That would just annoy Caulder and Esmerelda." He pulls out his tools and sets to work. "Hmmm... This might be a bit more difficult than I thought."


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

DM:
Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19
Knowledge (local) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17

Caulder scowls down at the spot on his breastplate where the rock clinked off. "Looks like we've got someone in the crowd who's trying to get all you concerned, law-abiding citizens in trouble, probably while he skulks off to loot the homes and businesses you've left unattended. I suggest anyone who doesn't want to be associated with an assault on the Bank of Abadar take a step back so this brave stone-thrower can get the fight he's spoiling for."


Pagrip's apprehension is well-founded, but as he's so close to getting the door open - but just not quite... most of the tumblers were out of the way, just a final hurdle... Then suddenly that hurdle disintegrated in a tiny, controlled detonation as Ten pushes a small explosive charge passed the latch. With a grimace, and quite hurriedly, Pagrip retrieves his tools from the key hole.

At least the door now stands ever so slightly ajar. Wisps of smoke smolder out of the key hole.

Caulder:
Them's fighting words! Intimidate please.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

DM:
Intimidate 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (17) + 13 = 30 Whoo! About time for a good roll! :)


Pagrip pushes the door open slowly and peers inside. If he sees anyone, he'll reintroduce himself and try to keep the situation calm (and also apologize for the damage to the door). If he doesn't see anyone, he'll enter cautiously and look around.

Rolls, if needed:
Diplomacy: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (15) + 6 = 21


Caulder:

There's something menacing in the air, and for a moment even the mob realizes it isn't them. A considerable portion of them take an instinctive step back - but from somewhere in the crowd a voice incites: "He's protecting the murderer! He cannot be acting by law!"

Caulder, Sense Motive DC 16:

It's been nagging on the back of Caulder's mind a while now: someone, or maybe a group, actively led the mob here and is inciting them.

GM rolls
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (10) + 4 = 14
1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

That perception check comes in handy, Pagrip :)

Pagrip sees the living room cum atelier cum bedroom of Trinia before him - its a predictable mess with a large range of art pieces in various states of completion littered about.

He does spy a person cowering under blankets trying to remain hidden, and also a suspicious shadow outside the window.


"Looks like we're just in time," Pagrip whispers to Ten and Esmerelda. "I think someone's trying to break in through the window. That's probably Trinia in the bed. One of you help her." He creeps towards the window.

Stealth: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (11) + 9 = 20

Upon getting close to the window, he casts ghost sound to create the sound of someone of roughly Caulder's bulk and voice coming from the other side of the shadow's source, whilst also trying to catch a glimpse of whoever's there. I presume the window leads onto the Shingles, so he could make it seem like someone's just around a corner or something.

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

DM:
Sense Motive 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14

Caulder growls and almost takes a step forward before remembering his role is to block the door. "Who dares to accuse me of blasphemy against Abadar? If you have a complaint against me, take it to the Bank. I'll gladly face an inquisition. I have nothing to hide; everything I've done has been at the behest of the rightful authorities."


There's a startled yelp and Caulder can make out an attractive, short-haired blonde dropping an empty potion and then is off in a hurry. The window does indeed lead onto the Shingles.

Here's a surprisingly accurate picture of what is going on now

Caulder:

The mob murmurs ascent, and some have started to slink away unnoticed. Then more begin to pull away. Eventually Caulder finds himself alone.

Caulder, Perception 15:

A small group seems to not pull back in the same way as the rest. Maybe 3 individuals. He can see them make a quick dash around the corner; perhaps some mischief, or perhaps looking for an alternate entry.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Pagrip! After that person! Ten help him."

Esme walks over to the bed and throws the blankets aside.

"Don't worry. Are you Trinia? We're not trying to hurt you. We are trying to help you."


DM:
Have we had a description of Trinia, i.e. can Pagrip recognize who he's following?

Pagrip climbs out the window and follows the fleeing individual.


Pagrip:
You've had a description, but obviously no portrait and any particularly telling features like a birthmark aren't obvious at the distance. But for all that, the description could match the person, yea.

GM rolls 1d20 ⇒ 14

As Esmerelda throws off the blanket she sees a girl that accurate fits the description of Trinia, cowering and looking up frightfully at the paladin. Her eyes are teary and a little translucent, like the rest of her, as if she is an illusion.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

DM:
Perception 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8

Caulder nods in satisfaction and continues to stand guard at the doorway.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"There, there, dear. No need to worry. We'll have you in a safe place before you know it. You are looking a little ghostly though."

Esme reaches down to comfort the girl.


The girl doesn't react to Esmerelda's touch - in fact the paladin's hand goes right through the girl. The illusion begins to fade entirely leaving only a slight after image.


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Ten runs towards the window, past Esmerelda and the girl.

"You! Stop!" he yells, while climbing through the window after Pagrip.


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

"Ah." Esme says as the girl disappears. "I should have known this one was fake. After the real one then." Esme takes a look out of the window to see which direction everyone is running.


The blonde girl has quite a head start on the three heroes that now emerge from the window. The Shingles before them is like a dizzying roof-top maze. They give chase!

Trinia's Initiative 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 = 11

Okay, I need Initiative of the three of you; then everybody gets to try to play catch-up with Trinia. The rules are as follows: you are on step 1; Trinia is on step 4; if Trinia gets to Step 5 she escapes.

On your turn you receive 2 skill options that represent the challenges in the Shingles (like a leap across roofs). You can elect to move 1 step without any extra effort (and still have a Standard Action then to do with as you will). Or you can try to move 2 steps - this requires you to chose and succeed on one of the skill options. Or you can try to move 3 steps - this requires you succeed on both skill options. Interesting things happen if you fail these checks - particularly if you fail badly. Doing more than 1 step on your turn is a full-round action.

One extra bit: for every 10 ft speed less than 30 you take a cumulative -2 penalty on skill checks. For every 10 ft speed more than 30 you get a +2 bonus on skill checks.


Step 15. Trinia needs to get to step 15. :)


Female Human (Varsian) Paladin 4

Init: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3 and we are off to a speedy start.

The "pass 2 checks to move 3 spaces" really doesn't make thematic sense. "Then suddenly a shortcut!" that only you can use seems like such a cop out.


Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 13


Esmerelda Darkbane wrote:


The "pass 2 checks to move 3 spaces" really doesn't make thematic sense. "Then suddenly a shortcut!" that only you can use seems like such a cop out.

You're misinterpreting then. You see both short-cut elements; but your character may decide one or both are too risky to try. Also, the lot of you are chasing along separate paths - which is the reason you get unique short-cut opportunities.


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Initiative 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20


Fortunately the chase can be done relatively independently, other than when you interact with Trinia, so post as you can.

Ten 1 (20 initiative)
1d12 ⇒ 2 crumbling rooftop DC 20 acrobatics (tumble)
1d12 ⇒ 8 tightrope clothesline DC 20 acrobatics (balance)

Pagrip 1 (13 initiative)
1d12 ⇒ 11 wall DC 20 climb
1d12 ⇒ 11 reroll
1d12 ⇒ 12 wide rooftop leap DC 25 acrobatics (jump)

Trinia 4 (11 initiative)
1d12 ⇒ 2 crumbling rooftop DC 20 acrobatics (tumble)
1d12 ⇒ 10 very steep roof DC 10 climb
Trinia rushes along in her headlong flight, and uses her momentum to scramble up a steeply inclined roof. Some loose tiles give way underneath her feet and slither down the slope - but she's undeterred. At the top she takes a moment's breather to take stock of her pursuers.
Trinia's climb 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (16) + 9 = 25
Trinia is now on step 6

Esmerelda 1 (3 initiative)
1d12 ⇒ 9 very hidden shortcut DC 25 perception
1d12 ⇒ 9 reroll
1d12 ⇒ 10 very steep roof DC 10 climb

Caulder:

Caulder can suddenly hear an uproar towards the north side. He's not quite sure what is going on - but the noise begins to spread like a wildfire.


Human (Varisian) Alchemist 3

Turn 1
Initiative 20

Ten eyes the rickety rooftop nervously. "Note to self: prioritise research project number 597. Right, let's take this slow and steady.

Ten moves 1 space and then drinks his mutagen. Might need some extra muscle.


Male Human (Chelaxian) Cleric 3

DM:
Caulder narrows his eyes, rolls his shoulders, and makes sure he is still firmly blocking the doorway as he tightens his grip on his weapon. If the mob comes back, he's going to be ready for them.

1,101 to 1,150 of 1,884 << first < prev | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Crimson Throne of Lore All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.