Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

City of Strangers: The Godsmouth Heresy

Game Master James Keegan


1,201 to 1,250 of 1,346 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>

"Here. Better let me take a look at that gate," Sister Mara offers as she steps forward. The inquisitor offers a couple of quick prayers to her Goddess as she carefully sets to examining the gate and trap. Casting Detect Magic and Guidance.

Taking 20 on Perception to find/examine trap for a total check of 26.
Disable Device check to disarm trap: 1d20 + 8 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 8 + 1 = 27 (expending Guidance)


Sister Mara finds that the gate trap is held together by an intricate web of thin, nearly invisible wires. With delicate precision she snips through the intricate system of sensitive counterweights and disables the trap. With the trap disarmed, it's a simple matter of Kua and Auron hauling up the gate into its recess in the ceiling.


"There you go, gentlemen. Shall we see what's on the other side?" Sister Mara asks, stepping carefully past the gate and searching the area beyond for more traps.

Advancing slowly, taking 20 on Perception for a total of 26 to search for traps.

Godsmouth Ossuary Catacombs Map


You step into a catacomb about 45 feet in length, niches spaced regularly on both sides. Repeated lines of footprints mark the dust on the floor, all leading to an alcove in the northeast portion of the chamber. The burial niches lining the stone walls are empty save for ancient scraps of yellowed linen.

From the four central alcoves emerge four more of the glassy black skeletons that Tripe had been creating. They heft their scimitars and advance!
Give me a group initiative roll, please.


Initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 10

For Sister Mara, that equates to a 16.


Male Human (Cheliax) Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier (Hound Master) 2

Auron's init would be 11.

Auron moves to the front, shield up whilst drawing his warhammer.


Male Halfling Wolf Shaman Druid 2

Uwais' init is 13

Uwais growls deep in his throat, drawing his sling and loading it.


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

that makes Yang's 11

Yang begins preparing to cast a spell, targeting the lead undead with disrupt undead

attack 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
damage 1d6 ⇒ 1


Skeletons: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12
Initiative
Sister Mara- 16
Uwais/Waya- 13
Skeletons and Kua- 12
Auron and Yang- 11

Sister Mara's up! Four skeletons. Keep in mind the ad-hoc gridless rules: Forward Stance is all-out attacking (+2 attacks, -2 AC), Open Stance is as normal, Defensive Stance (-4 attacks/+2 AC or +4 AC and no attack) and Rearward (ranged weapons/long range spells; must have at least two PCs in close-combat for anyone to be in rearward, not possible if outnumbered 2-1 or more- firing into melee penalties apply unless party and foes are both at range or if one side is caught flat-footed). No obstructions or cover.


Round One: Open Stance; AC 17; HP 19/19

Hanbo in hand, Sister Mara lashes out at the skeleton before her. The inquisitor then takes a step back to make room for her companions.

Standard action to attack nearest skeleton with hanbo, then 5-ft step back.
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4 bludgeoning


Male Human (Cheliax) Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier (Hound Master) 2

Daeron would squeeze into the front ranks when up, open stance hitting any available skelly.
power attack: 1d20 + 4 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (17) + 4 + 2 - 1 = 22
damage: 1d8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (5) + 4 + 2 = 11


Sister Mara advances on the boney quartet. She swings, hoping to get an easy opening attack, but her target pivots with unnatural grace away from her attack. Uwais whirls his sling and releases a bullet into the mass of skeletons.
Sling: 1d20 ⇒ 11d3 ⇒ 2
And only narrowly misses hitting Sister Mara. Waya growls and bounds into the melee, snapping her jaws at the abominations.
Waya- open stance: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 91d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5
But her inborn fear of the unnatural takes the fire from her attack.

The four skeletons mob the wolf and the inquisitor, raining blows from their rusty scimitars. Forward stance; -2 AC for skeletons.
DM Screen:

Spoiler:
1d20 + 2 ⇒ (2) + 2 = 41d6 ⇒ 11d20 + 2 ⇒ (10) + 2 = 121d6 ⇒ 31d20 + 2 ⇒ (16) + 2 = 181d6 ⇒ 31d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 161d6 ⇒ 2

While Sister Mara easily parries aside the first thrust, she is caught with a jagged gash on her arm from the other assailant. Likewise, Waya skirts nimbly around the broken blade, only to find herself herded into another attack.
2 hp damage each to Waya and Mara; I'll give Kua a chance to post before wrapping up the round.


Kua hangs back in a defensive posture as Auron steps forward and smashes one of the undead with his warhammer, shattering its bones across the floor. A ray of coruscating energy flares from Yang's hand, but his target ducks around it.
Okay, new round.


Male Human (Cheliax) Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier (Hound Master) 2

Auron continues his attack routine, swing his hammer with all the power he could muster, which manages to hew a chunk off the floor and nothing else.

power attack: 1d20 + 4 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (3) + 4 + 2 - 1 = 8


Male Halfling Wolf Shaman Druid 2

Uwais gives an encouraging bark to Waya, his sling whirling about his head as he fires again.

Attack: 1d20 ⇒ 6
Damage: 1d3 ⇒ 3

Waya tries again to worry the foes, hackles up as she heads for the attack. Grabbing one of the skeletons by the leg, she tries to tug it to the ground.
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (15) + 5 = 20
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Trip: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

"If we could hit what we aim at, we would make things easier on ourselves, I think ..." Yang fires another ray at the closest skeleton.

attack 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20
damage 1d6 ⇒ 4

"Like that, I think."


Round Two: Rearward; AC 17; HP 17/19

Having fallen back to make room for Auron, Sister Mara calls upon the blessings of the Everflame and fires a bolt of divine energy past the cavalier and Waya in an attempt to strike one of the strange skeletons.

Standard action to cast Disrupt Undead at a skeleton.
Ranged Touch Attack: 1d20 + 5 + 2 - 4 ⇒ (7) + 5 + 2 - 4 = 10 (+2 represents skeleton's -2 penalty to AC for Forward stance; -4 penalty for firing into melee.)
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

Kua waits for Yang's spell to complete before moving in for an attack.

Forward stance power attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

Damage 1d12 + 7 ⇒ (3) + 7 = 10


Initiative
Sister Mara- 16
Uwais/Waya- 13
Skeletons and Kua- 12
Auron and Yang- 11

Round Two
Sister Mara falls back after Auron barrels into the melee, calling upon the Dawnflower's blessing to smite the foul undead. But her view is blocked by her allies and caution demands she take a less desirable shot than she would like, sending the bolt astray. Uwais finds himself facing similar difficulties, sending a bolt sailing over the knot of skeletons. Waya, on the other hand, regains her feral intensity, snapping into one of the boney bastards and dragging it to the ground.

The tripped skeleton attempts to rise once more and both Auron and Waya rise to the occasion, lashing out with tooth and hammer.

Waya AoO:1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 181d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Auron AoO: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (11) + 6 = 171d8 + 4 ⇒ (5) + 4 = 9
And send it back to the boneyard with their combined assault.

The remaining skeletons rally and dive headlong at the wolf and the man, swinging with suicidal abandon. Forward stance for both skeletons; AC 16.
Scimitar and Claw 1: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 191d6 ⇒ 61d20 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 01d4 + 1 ⇒ (3) + 1 = 4
Scimitar and Claw 2: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 191d6 ⇒ 61d20 - 1 ⇒ (4) - 1 = 31d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3

Unprepared for the swift reprisal, both Auron and Waya find the rusty scimitars sneaking past their defenses to deal grievous wounds. -6 hp each

Just in time, Kua crashes into the mess, swinging his greataxe with abandon, beheading one and leaving its companion surrounded. Auron leaps in with his hammer, but the pile of bones proves faster, dodging out of the way. Yang chants his arcane syllables, passing his hands through the air and channeling a ray of positive energy into the skeleton, at the exact point where the wizard expected it to land. The spell proves too much for the undead's damaged frame and it burns into a pile of greasy ash on the floor.

Combat over.


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

Kua dusts blackened bits of bone from his axe. "The alchemist continues to plague us from beyond the grave, it seems."

With the skeletons taken care of, Kua begins to look around the corridor.

Perception check 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (5) + 9 = 14


Male Human (Cheliax) Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier (Hound Master) 2

Auron clamps down on his newly received wound, stemming the bleeding before applying a crude cloth compress around his torso.

Jhaik gives a small whine.

Well, 'ere's still sum rooms left to explore. I thinks we woulda go on if 'ere's nothin' in 'ere.


After a thorough search, you find little of interest in the room besides another door in the alcove to the northeast, where the footprints are leading. Kua and Sister Mara methodically examine the door for traps and after the all-clear, crack it open. The familiar scent of formaldehyde and suppressed rot assails your nostrils once more as you find yourselves entering the very laboratory where you dealt with Tripe just recently. The reverse side of the door leaves a seamless impression in the wall due to its clever construction.


"Looks like Tripe had all sorts of secret entrances into and out of his lair," Sister Mara observes.

"Shall we move on to the next secret passage?"

Godsmouth Ossuary Catacombs Map


Back to the Cathedral?


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2
Sister Mara wrote:

"Looks like Tripe had all sorts of secret entrances into and out of his lair," Sister Mara observes.

"Shall we move on to the next secret passage?"

Godsmouth Ossuary Catacombs Map

"It would seem he was well prepared. It was good we were moreso."


Yes, back to the cathedral.


Please give me a round of Perception checks for the return walk to the Cathedral space.


Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (1) + 9 = 10


DM Screen:

Spoiler:
1d20 + 10 ⇒ (11) + 10 = 21

Auron/Jhaik:1d20 ⇒ 111d20 + 5 ⇒ (9) + 5 = 14

Uwais/Waya:1d20 + 9 ⇒ (4) + 9 = 131d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10

Yang:

Spoiler:
You hear a faint scrape just ahead in the passage, like something very gently moving against the stone floor. It's so soft that you nearly ignored the sound out of reflex.


You begin backtracking toward the cathedral area when Yang holds up a hand, motioning for quiet. Waya and Jhaik sniff the air, ears back.
"I have heard something ahead, I think. Quite faint, but we may have company."


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

Sorry; looks like my post didn't take and I didn't re-check

"It is soft; very hard to hear. Be on guard."


Male Halfling Wolf Shaman Druid 2

Uwais draws his sling and loads it. He growls low, and Waya follows suit.


Sister Mara draws and loads her light crossbow, glancing about for any sign of an enemy.


You all hold for a moment, weapons at the ready... but the passage remains clear and nothing so much as peeks around the corner.


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

Kua will move forward, attempting to remain silent, and take a look around the corner.

Stealth 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (9) + 4 = 13

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (15) + 9 = 24


Straight back down the passage and back through the crypt behind Pharasma's statue Kua can make out a man-sized cloaked figure moving away toward the Cathedral... and you can see that the grand chamber is illuminated.


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

The half orc looks back to his companions and whispers:

"There is someone up ahead. They are hooded, so I can't make out any details. The grand chamber up ahead seems to be lit. Should we follow?"


Male Human (Cheliax) Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier (Hound Master) 2

Any 'un else down 'ere ain't suppose t'be. I'se say we follow.


Sister Mara silently nods in agreement as she hefts her loaded crossbow and moves stealthily down the hallway, motioning for her companions to follow.

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (18) + 8 = 26


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

Yang whispers, "I am not so quiet. Maybe someone should quietly look and tell us what is there?"


DM Screen:

Spoiler:
1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 201d20 + 6 ⇒ (10) + 6 = 16

Mara creeps silently through the dark tomb, moving from sepulcher to sepulcher to maintain cover.

Sister Mara:

Spoiler:
It's difficult to see what's in the cathedral, given that the statue of Pharasma blocks so much of your line of sight from within the tomb. You can see a hulking, deformed man on your left looking up at the statue and drooling a bit; he must not be entirely human, for he stands at least seven feet tall with one grotesquely large arm giving him a hunched gait. He is dressed in cured hides, bits of chainmail and a pair of pants stretched completely to their limit and tied off with a length of rope.

Around the statue's robes, you can just make out the cloaked figure that Kua described, a long avian beak jutting from beneath its cowl. Its beak moves, but you can't quite make out what it's saying... it must be whispering to the elf standing next to it, probably one of the best looking elves you've seen. He stands with arms crossed over a black and gold breastplate, nodding before whispering something back to the beaked one. Several globes of light dance in the air above their heads.


Sister Mara creeps back to tell her companions about the three... persons... in the cathedral.

Stealth: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (14) + 8 = 22

Assuming Sister Mara makes it back safely, feel free to read her spoilered information in Warden's preceding post.


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

Whispering: "Well, we outnumber them. Perhaps we should approach them and ask what their business is?"


Male Human (Cheliax) Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier (Hound Master) 2

Talkin's not me best thing I'se can do. Giv' a shout if dey'z need sum crumpin'.


Male Halfling Wolf Shaman Druid 2

"It may be wise for you to come along, even if you don't speak. They may be more talkative if we bring our whole pack, and more likely to fight us if they think they stand a chance of victory in a fight."


Male Human (Cheliax) Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier (Hound Master) 2

Jus' don't want t'scare 'em off so. If deyz wan' to talk, den dey'll talk.


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

"Maybe if I make you large, it would help to influence?"


Male Human (Cheliax) Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier (Hound Master) 2

Me? Gettin' 'ig and more smashy ain't gonna make 'em more talk more. Save yer magicks when it's a needin'.

1,201 to 1,250 of 1,346 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / City of Strangers: The Godsmouth Heresy All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.