Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

City of Strangers: The Godsmouth Heresy

Game Master James Keegan


1,051 to 1,100 of 1,346 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>

Male Halfling Wolf Shaman Druid 2

Uwais pokes his head back into the other room. "All clear," the halfling says. When someone else enters, he points toward the top of the stautue. "It appears that the iris there may be removed... though the inscription makes me wonder if we should," he says cautiously.


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

Yang finally waddles into the odd passage to the statue found by Uwais. "It is most interesting, yes?"

Yang tries to see if he can recall anything about what this might be related to.

knowledge 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (10) + 9 = 19
knowledge 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17


Yangzhun Chen wrote:

Yang finally waddles into the odd passage to the statue found by Uwais. "It is most interesting, yes?"

Yang tries to see if he can recall anything about what this might be related to.

knowledge 1d20+9
knowledge 1d20+8

Yang:

Spoiler:
Despite your wide field of study, the statue and the message's meaning remains obscure.

Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

Kua stares apprehensively at the statue. "This is beyond my expertise. I've survived this long by not touching glowing statues."


Male Human (Cheliax) Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier (Hound Master) 2

If it's a worth gettin', I don't see why some words'll stop you. Jus' check ifs magick's about or traps too.


"Good idea, Auron," Sister Mara says as she casts a spell to reveal magical auras.

Cast Detect Magic and scan the statue - particularly the iris. Also take 20 on Perception check to search for traps for a total check of 26.


Finding neither magic nor mechanical trap, Sister Mara extracts the iris with nary a pop. Revealed is a small hollow containing a ball made of a bronzed metal that is warm to the touch. Looking at it closer, you can see that the ball is criss-crossed with tiny seams.


Male Human (Cheliax) Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier (Hound Master) 2

Queer trinket, Inquisitor. Somethin' used to scry eh?

Auron moves across the rest of the room, bringing in light from his torch.


Male Halfling Wolf Shaman Druid 2

Waya moves toward Sister Mara, her nose pointed and sniffing towards the bronzed ball, but Uwais pulls the wolf back. [b]"Have you seen anything like this before, Yang?," Uwais asks the arcanist.


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

"No, I have not. Auron's idea that it may be for scrying seem to make some sense. Maybe we should see if this is magic, as well."


Sister Mara turns her skill at identifying magic at the bronzed ball- it does indeed contain some faint traces of divination, as well as abjuration magic and transmutation. Its function, however, remains a mystery...
Quick, cast detect plot mcguffin!

Knowledge- Religion DC 20 (looking at the statue):

Spoiler:
The strange statue represents the Peacock Spirit- an obscure Thassilonian deity of mind, body and soul, whose worship ended with the empire's fall.

The stone door at the opposite end of the L shape from the statue seems to be barred from the other side.


Male Halfling Wolf Shaman Druid 2

Uwais makes a face as the door bars their progress. "Shall we use our magic chime, or search for another way around?," he asks his companions.


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

"Let's save the chime for now. Once we're done exploring, if this door is still a mystery to us, we can use the chime."


"Agreed," Sister Mara replies absently as she sketches the chamber's dimensions on her map.

Godsmouth Ossuary Catacombs Map

"Besides, if my measurements are correct, this stone door leads to the chamber through which we first entered this complex a few days ago."


Where to next? The following are unexplored:
Doors- AQ 27+28, at the bottom of the stairs with the crawling hands and body parts.
Y 14+15- corridor between the Archives and The Great Yrix.

Corridor- South of the Archives, Q/R 18

The Cathedral with all of its statues.


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

"What does everyone think of heading back to the large room with all of the statues? There's gotta be something more to the place."


Male Human (Cheliax) Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier (Hound Master) 2

Heh, I wouda agree. Me an' Jhaik be missin' out a lot before we hooked up.


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

"Yes, that sounds like a good plan," Yang wheezes. "It would seem we won't find much here."


You return to the cathedral through a side door, deducing that the passage where you found the mound of discarded body parts (and the corpse of Tripe) will open into the Grand Cathedral. The ceiling vaults to a height of sixty feet, unsupported by buttresses or visible columns. Forty feet above you is the wide stone bridge with elaborately carved railings you entered through initially. You find yourselves on a wide ledge, opening in the center to a recessed area with the inlaid spiral symbol of Pharasma in the center.

On the wide ledge stand bronze doors to the west and the door you entered through in the east. Eight larger-than-life statues stand upon the ledge as well, evenly spaced around the room's circumference- seven carved from white stone, and the eighth carved from black stone.

The eight statues, starting from the southwest and going clockwise:
A tall man with gems set in his forehead, wielding a flaming glaive (1, Karzoug- Greed)
A beautiful woman with wild hair, holding a ranseur (2, Alaznist- Wrath)
A voluptuous nude woman wielding a two-headed guisarme (3, Sorshen- Lust)
A short, smiling man holding a longspear (4, Krune- Sloth)
An obese man with rotting flesh, wielding a scythe (5, Zutha- Gluttony)
A handsome, bearded man in extravagant clothes wielding a lucerne hammer (6,Xanderghul- Pride)
An imperious, heavyset woman holding a mirror and a halberd (7, Belmarius- Envy)
The eighth statue in the south-southeast corner is carved from dark stone and is threefold in form, portraying a tall woman with three faces looking in three different directions. One side has a kind face and cradles a baby in its arms, while a second side displays a more stern expression and holds an hourglass. The third face has a crazed look; its hands are empty, but thornless roses twine up both arms. (8, Pharasma)

Map drawing to come.


Grand Cathedral map
Let me know if there are problems. I kept it pretty small, so you may need to download it to get a good look.


Male Halfling Wolf Shaman Druid 2

Uwais and Waya pace slowly around the cathedral, the halfling's face wrinkled in a thoughtful gaze. He pauses an especially long time in front of the Pharasman statue, his brow furrowed. "What an odd cathedral," he asks out loud. "Very unlike the one upstairs. Why do you think Pharasma would allow all these other statues space in her temple?"


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

Assuming since you gave their names, I can identify them as the ancient Runelords.

"It is the Runelords of ancient Thassilon. Maybe this chapel dates from then. Dispite the sins they embodied, all were prideful. But maybe another reason, also ...

knowledge religion 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

Kua stops next to Uwais, and begins to examine the Pharasma statue. Tracing fingers along seems and prodding here and there, the half-orc checks the statue for hidden mechanisms or traps.

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15


Yangzhun Chen wrote:

Assuming since you gave their names, I can identify them as the ancient Runelords.

"It is the Runelords of ancient Thassilon. Maybe this chapel dates from then. Dispite the sins they embodied, all were prideful. But maybe another reason, also ...

knowledge religion 1d20+8

Yeah, about a year ago you guys made a check and identified them all.

Yang:

Spoiler:
The Thassilonians considered Pharasma a minor goddess in their pantheon, mostly recognizing her as the goddess of death. The Runelords were said to honor themselves and their godlike power alongside true deities- seven power-mad megalomaniacs would be reluctant to honor anyone before themselves.

When Kua touches the hem of Pharasma's robe, an effervescent chill sweeps up his arm and fills him with a sense of confidence and well-being.

For the next ten minutes, Kua gains a +1 morale bonus on attack rolls and saves against fear effects as well as 1d8 + 10 ⇒ (4) + 10 = 14 temporary hit points.


Male Human (Cheliax) Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier (Hound Master) 2

'em weapons worth takin' eh? 'opes its not trapped or anythin'

Auron peers carefully at around the dark stone statue before touching it too.

Perception: 1d20 ⇒ 18


Auron doesn't feel anything out of the ordinary on the statue, though it becomes clearer that everything held in the statue's arms are carved into the sculpture and cannot be removed without the aid of a chisel and hammer.

Grand Lodge

Waya snorts disinterestedly. Uwais looks about, his interest in the statue surpassed. "Nice to not be under attack by underground abominations for a change," the serious halfling says simply.


As Kua examines the statue of Pharasma, Sister Mara searches the walls of the chamber for any secret doors.

Take 20 on Perception for total check of 26.


After long minutes of searching and prodding, Sister Mara finds that behind each of the eight statues is a well-concealed hidden door, barely more than a seam in the walls.


"Guys? It looks like we have eight secret doors here - one behind each statue," Sister Mara announces her findings. "Any preferences on which one you want to open first?"


Male Human (Cheliax) Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier (Hound Master) 2

I'se has a likin' for the one holdin' a 'spear. We could try that,'eh?

Auron approaches the statue of Krune, prodding at any activation device with his warhammer.

How's one to crack this thin' open?


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

Kua's eyes go wide as he steps back.

"Wha..? This one cast some kind of spell on me. Felt.. good though. Be careful touching the others." Shrugging, Kua grabs a handhold on Pharasma's arm and gives it a tug.


A bit of old-fashioned pushing gets the secret door open. A five foot wide, forty food long corridor opens before you, with six alcoves spaced evenly along its length. In each alcove is a gaunt corpse, long since gone leathery and decrepit. As you peer in with darkvision or your magical lights, the skin starts sloughing from each corpse, gathering into a mound on the floor. The tumescent mass grows, blubbery and greasy, from the last remaining bits of flesh on the alcove's corpses until it's a man-sized mass of flab with half-formed limbs and a tumorous face. It garbles something unintelligible and starts inching toward you!
Roll initiative!


Whoa! That is so not-cool!

Initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11


Uwais and Waya, since Jello's not around for a bit: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (6) + 3 = 91d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 16


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

initiative 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (10) + 1 = 11

"This crypt is a wonder of strange beings," Yang quips, not as disturbed as you might ordinarily expect. He tries to figure out if he knows what the creature is.

knowledge religion 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (11) + 8 = 19


Male Human (Cheliax) Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier (Hound Master) 2

Eh, Jhaik, betta watch where're yer biting that thing.

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


Yangzhun Chen wrote:

initiative 1d20+1

"This crypt is a wonder of strange beings," Yang quips, not as disturbed as you might ordinarily expect. He tries to figure out if he knows what the creature is.

knowledge religion 1d20+8

Modifying this to a 20, since it's a Knowledge- The Planes check.

Yang:

Spoiler:
What stands before you is a Lemure Devil, the least of the Damned summoned from the First Layer of Hell. It is formed from a soul of one who revered infernal powers or failed in the proper worship of a true deity. Its flab and Infernal flesh make it resistant to harm from normal weapons, though it may be pierced by silver or blessed weapons. Like many devils, it boasts a number of immunities- fire, mind-affecting spells and poison among them, as well as boasting resistance to cold and acid. This looks to be a particularly hearty specimen.


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

Yang's eyes go wide, the normally unflappable mage now looks genuinely frightened. "It is a devil! Called a 'lemure'; normal weapons will not harm it well, we must use silver or blessed weapons!"

Yang calls forth his power and sends two magic missiles towards the beast.

CL check 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

damage 2d4 + 3 ⇒ (2, 3) + 3 = 8


Kua: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 14
Lemure: 1d20 ⇒ 15

Initiative
Lemure- 15
Kua- 14
Yang- 11 (Force Missiles)
Sister Mara- 11
Team Canine (Auron/Jhaik + Uwais/Waya)- 9

I'm assuming you stepped into the corridor/tomb thing- which is unfortunately just five feet wide. Kua in front of the marching order as usual?

The Lemure trundles forward, hurling its bulk at Kua with a wet snarl.
Claws: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (4) + 3 = 71d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
But the Duskwarden easily deflects the clumsy swing with the haft of his greataxe.


Male Human (Cheliax) Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier (Hound Master) 2

Warden eh, lure the beast out, we needs space for whackin'
Auron readies his warhammer as Jhaik stands beside him.


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

Kua grunts in acknowledgement to the hound master as he swings his axe into the rubbery mass of flesh.

Power Attack 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23

Damage 1d12 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13

Five foot step backward if there is room, if not, Kua will drop back farther and eat the attack of opportunity.


Waiting to see the effects of Yang's spell before acting.


Kua feels the blade of his axe meet resistance on the lemure's blubbery flesh, but the heavy weapon bites through and leaves a bleeding gash in its shoulder. Yang's force missiles diverge around Kua, zipping past his ears and slam into the devil. It wails- a burbling shriek like a disgruntled baby.
Looks like it hurt it.


Round One:

Unable to get a clear shot on the creature past Kua, Sister Mara offers a brief prayer to the Dawnflower and touches Kua on the shoulder - granting him a touch of the Goddess' divine guidance. She then steps back to give the Duskwarden room to retreat to draw the creature out of the narrow passageway.

Standard action to cast Guidance on Kua. Move action to back out of passageway.


Male Human (Cheliax) Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier (Hound Master) 2

Auron tenses up his muscles as he waits for the creature to close to melee. A short whistle sends Jhaik to the rear, guarding Auron's back.

readied attack:

readied power attack: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (20) + 6 = 26
damage: 1d8 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14
confirm? 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9


DM Screen:

Spoiler:
Lemure- 3 hp.

The creature continues to pursue Kua out into the temple proper, provoking Auron's wrath. His warhammer slams into the blubber beast's shoulder, leaving its arm to flop elastically in its sloughing flesh. Uwais sends a sling bullet into its temple, with little notable effect. Waya growls and keeps her distance from the unnatural thing.

The Lemure vents its rage on Kua once more, swinging surprisingly sharp claws at the Duskwarden.
Claws: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 81d6 + 1 ⇒ (1) + 1 = 2

But its many wounds throw it off balance, making it seem more pitiful than threatening.


Male Human (Cheliax) Order of the Cockatrice Cavalier (Hound Master) 2

Auron continues to follow through his attack, stepping in behind the creature to strike from the blind spot.

He gives his warhammer a powerful swing.

power attack: 1d20 + 6 + 2 - 1 ⇒ (8) + 6 + 2 - 1 = 15 factoring in flank
damage: 1d8 + 4 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 4 + 2 = 12


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

Seeing the creature off balance, Kua aims his next strike low, hoping to take it's legs out.

Power Attack 1d20 + 4 + 1 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 4 + 1 + 2 = 11

Damage 1d12 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

Yang sends a single force missile this time, invoking his special ability.

1d4 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

1,051 to 1,100 of 1,346 << first < prev | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / City of Strangers: The Godsmouth Heresy All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.