Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

PaizoCon 2014!

City of Strangers: The Godsmouth Heresy

Game Master James Keegan


701 to 750 of 1,346 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>

Male Halfling Wolf Shaman Druid 2

"Waste of our chime," Uwais says to Kua. "We've been locked in, and that chime is our way out. Running errands and what-not seems like a folly. There must be some way for him to be up there - perhaps we can find another way."

Hey, RL blew up on me - posting has become a lot less convenient, and thus may become more erratic. Apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.

Burst puts Uwais at 5 hp and Waya at 13


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2
Kua wrote:
"I don't think we should allow ourselves to be stuck in this position again. Perhaps we should go to purchase a ladder. We can just stash it in one of these side rooms for whenever we need it. Yang, are you able to use ladders?"

"I am fat, not crippled. Yes, I can climb ladder."


“I think, as Uwais has said, a ladder is out of the question at this point, unless we find one here,” says Detressa. “If we head south,” the priestess points towards the stairs leading up to the south, “we should be back at the same level as the room that Sister Mara climbed up into; perhaps there will be another way in somewhere in that direction.”


Male Halfling Wolf Shaman Druid 2

"A good plan, Detressa," the halfling says. "Let us look further before we go the way he knows we know of yet again."


"I agree - Detressa's plan sounds good. But before we head out I can cast two healing spells on those who are still wounded. Kua appears to be the most grievously hurt, so I'll use one spell on him. Master Uwais and Master Yang, which of you would like the other spell?"

Cure Light Wounds (Kua): 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7
Cure Light Wounds (Uwais or Yang): 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

BTW, is anyone carrying Badang's CLW potion? Or has that been used already?


I'm leaving it to you guys to figure that out. BTW, anyone heard from Randall? I offered to let him bring in a new PC but I guess he lost interest.

After a moment to catch your breath (and to halt your chattering teeth), you climb the stairs south to another long ten foot wide hallway. After about fifteen feet you can just barely make out a group of figures roughly sixty feet down the hallway in the dim light shed by your spells. The familiar creak of bowstrings being pulled back reaches your ears...
Roll initiative please; a perception check may give you more info about your foes.

Kua:

Spoiler:
With your darkvision, you can see that four skeletons stand between a set of alcoves in the passage- each one with a scimitar strapped around their hips and shortbows drawn in unison. Their bones seem strangely reflective, unlike normal skeletons.


Male Halfling Wolf Shaman Druid 2

Give the healing to Yang - I don't plan on letting Uwais get that close to a front line again.
Init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (9) + 3 = 12

Uwais leaps from Waya's back and looses the stone from his sling, giving a growl to Waya to attack. She rushes forward, growling fiercely.

Uwais will try to dismount as a free action with his ride check: 1d20 + 10 ⇒ (19) + 10 = 29
Given that rousing success - Order Waya to attack (free action)
Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (8) + 3 = 11
Damage: 1d3 ⇒ 3
Then reload (move).
Five foot step towards the enemy.

Waya charges the foremost of the enemies.
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6


Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9


Male Halfling Wolf Shaman Druid 2

Edited! I'm really sorry, brain filled in the blanks there from being in the middle of running this mod, not the spoiler (I promise!). :/ Stoopid player/character knowledge.


That's alright, I'll just have to make some changes in the remaining encounters.

Initiative: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (19) + 6 = 25


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

initiative 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (13) + 1 = 14


Init: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Perception: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (16) + 3 = 19


Perception 10+:

Spoiler:
In the very dim light, you can make out four skeletons in formation, aiming their shortbows. Each has a scimitar slung around their hips and unlike normal skeletons, they have a glassy black sheen to their bones.

Kua: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (9) + 2 = 11

Initiative
Archers- 25
Detressa- 16
Yang- 14
Uwais & Waya/Mara- 12
Kua- 11

The strings snap and four arrows fly out of the darkness at Kua and Sister Mara! I'm assuming you're sticking to the previous marching order.

Vs. Kua: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 91d6 ⇒ 11d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 211d6 ⇒ 5
Vs. Sister Mara: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (11) + 2 = 131d6 ⇒ 61d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 91d6 ⇒ 3

The archers get the drop on the party, tagging Kua and Sister Mara with one arrow each.
Actions if you haven't already posted them!


Uwais' bullet sails through the corridor, slipping through the gap between the standing archers to clatter off into the darkness. Waya runs into the fray with a snarl, snapping at the kneeling front rank- but the slim archer is quite nimble and dogs her attack.


“Animate skeletons!” exclaims Detressa, peering ahead. “Of some unusual variety ...” Religion: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (8) + 6 = 14 to see if she can identify the type of skeletons. Her action may vary depending on what she can determine.


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

"And now, I cannot use my fire or else cook the animal," sighs Yang. He sends a force missile flying at the closest archer.

1d4 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3


Godsmouth Ossuary Catacombs Map

Round One:

Sister Mara winces in pain as the arrow slams into her body. With a grimace of anger she rushes forward toward the skeletal formation and unleashes a bolt of divine energy at one of the archers standing in the second rank, behind the kneeling skeletons.

Move action 30 ft to square AW-39. Standard action to cast Disrupt Undead at skeleton AX-46.

Ranged Touch Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (17) + 4 = 21
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 3


Detressa:

Spoiler:
These undead seem to have been made with some sort of chemical process, coating their bones. But it should still be negative energy animating them.

Yang's missile of force slams into the skeleton on the left as Waya closes on the right and Sister Mara unleashes her bolt of positive energy at the front rank, splintering bones left and right.


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

Kua rips the arrow from his shoulder with an angry growl, drinks his potion of cure light wounds, then attempts to close the distance [AX/39] to the skeletons.

Cure Light Wounds 1d8 + 1 ⇒ (8) + 1 = 9


Male Halfling Wolf Shaman Druid 2

Uwais and Waya give matching howls as they both press the attack, Uwais' sling whirling fiercely and Waya's teeth snapping violently. Uwais again fires wide of the foe, but Waya has found her stride against them and bites savagely down on one.

Uwais will shoot at an enemy in the back row, so avoid shooting into melee. Still has to shoot on cover... :/
Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Damage: 1d3 ⇒ 3
Then reload (move).
Five foot step towards the enemy.

Waya attacks her targeted enemy again.
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (14) + 5 = 19
Damage: 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (2) + 1 = 3
Trip attack? 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (19) + 2 = 21

Posting my round 2 action early since I won't be online tomorrow. Assuming that Waya beat the thing's dex bonus - so she'd have bitten it even if she can't pierce armor bonus/natural armor/whatever, hence assuming a 'hit.'


Detressa moves forward to stand behind Mara, tightly clutching her spear. “These skeletons may have been animated using a combination of negative energy and alchemical processes,” she murmurs to the Inquisitor.


Initiative- round two
Archers- 25
Detressa- 16
Yang- 14
Uwais & Waya/Mara- 12 (U- miss/W- hit/trip)
Kua- 11

The front rank of skeletons pull broken scimitars and slash the rusty impelements at the wolf.
Skeletons vs. Waya: 1d20 ⇒ 151d6 ⇒ 41d20 ⇒ 151d6 ⇒ 2

While the back rank shoots more arrows at her from over their companions' shoulders.
Point blank shot and precise shot in effect.
1d20 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 61d6 ⇒ 51d20 + 3 ⇒ (10) + 3 = 131d6 ⇒ 6

Seconds later...
Uwais' second bullet sails over the melée in his attempt to avoid hitting his beloved wolf or his companions. Waya latches onto her attacker's shinbone, dragging the undead beast to the floor. The skeleton in front of Waya is prone.
[b]Round Two- Fight![/ooc]


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

Kua stops just short of the skeleton in front of him and slams his axe down into it's rib cage.

Move 30' to AX/44

Attack Skeleton in AX/45 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (13) + 4 = 17

Damage 1d12 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

Yang switches things up to conserve his force missiles. He sends a ray of disrupt undead at the archers.

attack 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
damage 1d6 ⇒ 5


Detressa Venci wrote:
Detressa moves forward to stand behind Mara, tightly clutching her spear. “These skeletons may have been animated using a combination of negative energy and alchemical processes,” she murmurs to the Inquisitor.

"Great. As if regular skeletons weren't bad enough, he had to go and make 'improvements' to them." Mara snarls in response to Detressa's observation.

Round Two:

Sister Mara calls upon the powers of her Goddess to fire another bolt of divine energy at the skeletons, and then draws her hanbo in preparation of moving into melee with the undead archers.

Standard action to cast Disrupt Undead again at skeleton AX-46. Move action to draw hanbo.
Ranged Touch Attack: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1

Godsmouth Ossuary Catacombs Map


Detressa moves forward a few paces and holds aloft her holy symbol. “Return to the grave that once housed you!” she intones, calling on Pharasma’s power.

Move to AW 41 and channel energy to harm undead. 1d6 ⇒ 6, DC 11 will save for half.


Skeleton Will saves: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (14) + 2 = 161d20 + 2 ⇒ (12) + 2 = 141d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 151d20 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 2 = 15

Following Detressa's wave of positive energy, the front rank of skeletons- already wounded from Sister Mara and Yang- splinter and fall apart while the rear rank looks particularly beat up. Yang follows up with a ray of his own, shattering the skeleton in front of Kua AX46.

After being pulled down by Waya, the remaining skeleton is destroyed by Kua and Sister Mara's combined assault, putting an end to the skeletal archers.
100 XP each.


"Well that was fun," Sister Mara comments, grimacing in pain as she removes the arrow from her side and puts pressure on the wound. "But why did Tripe place them here? What were they guarding?" she asks, examining the area carefully.

Take 20 on Perception - total check of 26.


After several long moments of searching, Sister Mara finds a catch in the right side alcove- a secret door swings open with creak leading into a five foot wide passageway. A chemical reek mixed with flat-out rot assails your nostrils as an impossibly bloated cadaver stumbles toward you. Its eyelids and nostrils are rimmed with a dried black powder, its lips sewn shut. It looks like its been pumped full of air, its pale skin stretched nearly to the point of tearing.

Zombie initiative: 1d20 ⇒ 19


Initiative: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (8) + 4 = 12

Ooooh... this may hurt...

Godsmouth Ossuary Catacombs Map

EDIT: Knowledge (religion) for any information about this possibly alchemically modified zombie: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (6) + 4 = 10


Male Halfling Wolf Shaman Druid 2

Uwais' and Waya's noses wrinkle identically, assailed by the stink of death and chemicals. Uwais begins whirling his loaded sling.

Init: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

Kua steps back (AW/47) to allow Sister Mara room to step back if she likes.

Initiative: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (20) + 2 = 22


Init: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (6) + 1 = 7 .... can Detressa see if any of her companions are obviously injured, might be time for some channel energy healing?
Also, knowledge, religion: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8 for zombies in general and this one in particular.


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

test to see if I can post... my initiative from the OC thread is 5


Detressa Venci wrote:
.... can Detressa see if any of her companions are obviously injured, might be time for some channel energy healing?

Mara pulled an arrow out of her side before searching for the secret door - she's at 4/10 hp. Don't know if anyone else is injured. Of course, Mara may be lying on the floor after the zombie takes its first hit.


Initiative
Kua- 22 (step back)
Zombie- 19 (attack)
Uwais/Waya- 14
Sister Mara- 12
Detressa- 7
Yang- 5

The cadaver hobbles forward, flailing its limbs at Sister Mara.
Slam: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (11) + 4 = 151d6 + 4 ⇒ (3) + 4 = 7


Male Halfling Wolf Shaman Druid 2

Uwais is at 5 hp, and Waya is down to 7. I don't think either would protest to a channel...

Waya whines painfully at the sight of another enemy, the wounds from the skeletons' scimitars standing out prominently on her flanks. Uwais gives a soothing sound and steps in front of her, sling whirling. His shot goes far wide and clatters into the darkness.

Firing into cover and melee, but you can still roll 20s, right?
Attack: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4
Damage: 1d3 ⇒ 3
...or you can still roll 1s.


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2

"It would be nice to use some other spells for once," Yang sighs, as he fires another ray of positive energy at the corpse.

disrupt undead 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (18) + 1 = 19
damage 1d6 ⇒ 4


The zombie's flailing fist connects solidly with Sister Mara's temple, causing the wounded inquisitor to crumble limply to the stone floor.

Since Mara has a flat-footed AC of 12, the zombie's slam attack connected and knocked her down to -3 hp.


Detressa again calls on Pharasma’s power, trusting that it is not yet Mara’s time to go. Channel positive energy to heal the living, 1d6 ⇒ 6

“Kua, try to pull Mara out of there!” she suggests urgently to the half orc.


I'm going to puppet Kua for a second and say that he delayed his turn until Sister Mara's so that he gets an action this round.
Uwais' sling bullet ricochets off the narrow catacomb walls, bouncing further into the hidden tunnels.
Kua pulls Mara behind him as she falls to the floor, stepping forward to meet the zombie with his greataxe.
Greataxe: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (12) + 4 = 161d12 + 4 ⇒ (1) + 4 = 5
The half-orc grunts in surprise as his axe fails to penetrate its blubbery, necrotic flesh. A familiar wave of healing energy emanates from Detressa, knitting the most serious of your wounds.

Yang sears the zombie with a well-placed ray of positive energy, leaving a blackened spot on its shoulder. It moans through stitched lips and swings club-like arms at Kua...

Round Two
Slam vs. Kua: 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (14) + 4 = 181d6 + 4 ⇒ (2) + 4 = 6
It drives the wind out of his lungs and would have certainly broken ribs were it not for his chain hauberk.

Zombie- 19 (attacked)
Uwais/Waya- 14
Sister Mara/Kua- 12
Detressa- 7
Yang- 5


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

That works for me.

Round 2 action:

Kua spits out a gob of blood at the cadaver, grits his teeth and puts his back into his next swing.

Power Attack 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (11) + 3 = 14

Damage 1d12 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14


Round Two:

Returned to consciousness by the divine energies channeled by Detressa, Sister Mara stands and unleashes her own bolt of divine energy at the zombie. The wounded inquisitor then steps back beside the priestess to open the line of fire for her companions.

Move action to stand from prone. Standard action to cast Disrupt Undead at the zombie. 5-ft. step back to square AX-47.
Ranged Touch Attack: 1d20 + 4 - 4 - 4 ⇒ (7) + 4 - 4 - 4 = 3 (penalties for cover and firing into melee)
Damage: 1d6 ⇒ 1

Godsmouth Ossuary Catacombs Map


Male Human (Tian-Shu) Wizard (Transmuter) 2
Sister Mara wrote:

Round Two:

Returned to consciousness by the divine energies channeled by Detressa, Sister Mara stands and unleashes her own bolt of divine energy at the zombie. The wounded inquisitor then steps back beside the priestess to open the line of fire for her companions.

Move action to stand from prone. Standard action to cast Disrupt Undead at the zombie. 5-ft. step back to square AX-47.
Ranged Touch Attack: 1d20 + 4 - 4 - 4 (penalties for cover and firing into melee)
Damage: 1d6

Godsmouth Ossuary Catacombs Map

Philosophical question - my feeling was always that the penalty for firing into melee was mainly to avoid hitting a friend. With disrupt undead, unless your buddy is a lich, it makes no difference if you accidentally hit a him ... should the -4 still apply if you really don't care if you accidentally hit a friend?

FYI, I did forget the penalty last attack, although I still end with a touch attack of 15, which should be good anyway.

Yang fires another disruption ray at the walking corpse.

attack 1d20 + 1 - 4 ⇒ (16) + 1 - 4 = 13
damage 1d6 ⇒ 4


Well, it makes a difference since the ray won't travel through your friend to hit the undead monster they're fighting in melee. So, it may not be to protect your friend- you could just want to make sure you hurt the enemy.


Male Halfling Wolf Shaman Druid 2

Sling whirling, Uwais fires at the creature. Waya stays back, still alternating between growling and licking her wounds.

Uwais is at full, Waya is at 13. Sling shot -
Attack: 1d20 + 3 - 4 ⇒ (1) + 3 - 4 = 0
Damage: 1d3 ⇒ 2


When Kua's axe shears through the cadaver's flesh, there is a sudden release of pressure- it's stomach and back blow out in an explosion of dust! The gritty, acrid powder stings Kua's eyes and lungs. Reeling, he tries to recover from the sudden explosion.
Give me a Fortitude save, Kua. And I'll give all of you 100 XP.


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

Does the XP hinge on the fort save? :-P

Fortitude: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (5) + 5 = 10


The dust rimes Kua's nostrils and eyes, coating his throat. He coughs and rasps, wiping his eyes and trying to clear his airways.
That's 1 point of Charisma drain; make another Fortitude save, Kua.


Male Half Orc Duskwarden 2

Fortitude: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (11) + 5 = 16

701 to 750 of 1,346 << first < prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / City of Strangers: The Godsmouth Heresy All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.