Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

City of Nine Stars -- City of Twilight (Inactive)

Game Master therealthom

Council of Thieves


2,751 to 2,800 of 4,453 << first < prev | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | next > last >>

Male Elf Rogue 5th

"And here I was, right in the middle of something," the rogue mutters with an exaggerated sigh as he moves to support Waifrin, assuming a more defensive stance once next to her.

"May I suggest that you switch places with your burly cousin, dear lady?" Raven quips, eyeing the goblins dropping down from the above floor.

Move action to get to B5, ready a standard action to fight defensively if or when attacked by a goblin until next turn (-4 to attack; AC 21, flat-footed 13, touch 18; still able to make AoOs).

In case he gets the chance to attack, here is the associated roll to speed things up (along with a sneak attack roll just in case, though I do not believe he will be eligible for sneak attack even if he does attack).

Melee attack (masterwork rapier) 1d20 + 8 - 4 ⇒ (10) + 8 - 4 = 14
Damage (piercing) 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (5) + 1 = 6
Sneak attack damage (piercing) 2d6 ⇒ (6, 4) = 10

Qadira

F Human Wizard (Conjuror) 5

Two rounds left of the dog.

The hound turns to the nearest new target and lopes over to take a bite out of it.

bite attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (16) + 5 = 21
damage 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
free trip attempt 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (19) + 5 = 24

Zarabeta begins casting again, this time in a rumbling voice and making imploring gestures that start low and rise into the air, as if imploring a creature to rise from the depths.

Summon monster II to call up an augmented earth elemental. She'll use her 1/day +2 CL bonus to call one that will last 2 additional rounds. The elemental will appear in B7 and step to attack the nearest goblin.

Summoned augmented Earth Elemental

Spoiler:
Augmented Earth Elemental; Small Outsider (elemental), Init -1; Senses darkvision 60 ft., tremorsense 60 ft.; Perception +4; AC 17, touch 10, flat-footed 17 (-1 Dex, +7 natural, +1 size); hp 17 (2d10+6); Fort +6, Ref -1, Will +3; Speed 20 ft., burrow 20 ft., earth glide; Melee slam +8 (1d6+6); Str 20, Dex 8, Con 17, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 11; Base Atk +2; CMB +6; CMD 15); Feats Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack; Skills Appraise +1, Knowledge (dungeoneering) +1, Knowledge (planes) +1, Perception +4, Stealth +7; SQ earth glide, earth mastery, elemental traits, outsider traits


Set, are you taking into account the spells used at rehearsal?

Qadira

F Human Wizard (Conjuror) 5
Last Vestige of Aroden wrote:
Set, are you taking into account the spells used at rehearsal?

Yup, she used mage armor and summon monster II at the rehearsal, and so had 2 more 2nd levels spells (and just used one on the elemental) and 2 more 1st level spells (one just used on the celestial hound). So she's got one of each left, now.

Spells (Going a-Goblin-hunting):
0 (4) - Detect Magic, Daze (Will DC 14), Message, Prestidigitation
1st (3+1) - Mage Armor (cast), Summon Monster I (cast, celestial hound), Summon Monster I (B), one used at rehearsal.
2nd (2+1) - Summon Monster II (cast, earth elemental), Summon Monster II (B), one used at rehearsal.


Male Human (Chelish-Azlanti) Cleric 4

Akorian slides past Waifrin (to A6) and closes with the first goblin down.

Melee attack with +1 morningstar... 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (3) + 6 = 9
Damage, if applicable... 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (2) + 3 = 5

He overestimates the goblin's height, however, and swings too high.

"Hold still, you little bug..."


Set, cool.

Akorian swings high and the goblin darts in while reaching out with the spear.

Spear 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (18) + 2 = 20 .. damage 1d6 ⇒ 1

The descending goblin drops to the floor and pulls the small sword from between his clenched teeth. He tries to circle to Akorian's right and cut into the man's calf.
Dog-slicer 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8 .. damage 1d3 ⇒ 2

Behind them, another goblin negotiates the ladder and draws his blade. A fourth steps down a rung or too then stops and crouches like a monkey to see how the fight is going.

Perception: DC 17 (+4 for Zara)

Spoiler:
A small knot of goblins funnels into the hallway from the northeast room and begins charging toward Zarabeta. Put them in C3

Andoran

Female Human Wilder 5th | AC13 | HP39 | Str 10 | Dex 15 | Con 13 | PP37/37

Perception: 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (13) + 6 = 19

"Zara! Behind you!" Waifrin calls. I'll give my action after Marius' - it may hinge on what he does!

Would this map help?

Qadira

F Human Wizard (Conjuror) 5

Perception (+4 bonus) DC 17 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (4) + 4 = 8

Andoran

Male Human Fighter 5 (Favoured Class)

Marius charges into the knot of goblins that suddenly appear in his field of vision,sword flashing out to impale one of the loathsome little vermin.

1d20 + 11 ⇒ (17) + 11 = 28 Damage1d6 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11

Silly little buggers appeared right in front off me.


Male Elf Rogue 5th

Seeing Marius charge the goblins that have appeared behind them, Raven abandons his more defensive posture and moves to support Akorian, thrusting his rapier at the goblin with the mean-looking blade, the one that moments ago tried to strike at the cleric.

Move action to get to B6, standard action to attack.

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21

Melee attack (masterwork rapier) 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (3) + 8 = 11
Damage (piercing) 1d6 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5

Andoran

Female Human Wilder 5th | AC13 | HP39 | Str 10 | Dex 15 | Con 13 | PP37/37

Marius is attacking the gobins in the SW corner, not the group behind us.

Waifrin spins around and darts past Zara at the approaching goblins and lets rip with a hail of glittering death. Waifrin advances as close as she dares to the goblins (to five feet away) and lets fly with hail of crystals, 3PP augmented by wild surge to 5PP. It's a 15' cone she'll use to try and get as many of the goblins in as she can.

Damage: 5d4 ⇒ (1, 3, 3, 4, 1) = 12 Slashing.


Male Elf Rogue 5th

You sure?

Going by Thom's map, with Marius being at C5 and the goblins appearing at C3, it would make sense. Especially since Marius wrote about charging the 'knot of goblins' (check Thom's last spoiler).

Andoran

Female Human Wilder 5th | AC13 | HP39 | Str 10 | Dex 15 | Con 13 | PP37/37

I YIMed Wellard to make certain, he said it was the group in the SW corner, the ones directly in front of him.


Male Elf Rogue 5th

Ah, cool then! :-)

In that case, since two fighting dudes are taking care of the ladder goblins, it would make a bit more sense if Raven was to support the two ladies against the goblins that appeared behind Zarabeta (i.e., the above attack -which misses anyway- is against the latter group of goblins rather than the former). He does take care hopefully not to interfere with Waifrin's hail of crystals. So, if you could retcon Raven's actions from the previous post and maybe place him accordingly accordingly, your DMness?


Not sure which group Marius was after myself. "knot of goblins that suddenly appear " sounds like the ones from the north. "right in front of me" sounds like the SW ladder crew because he was already moving that way. Likelihood of immediate response from Wellard is low. Chance will decide. 1-4 he hears Waif's warning and engages the north crew. 5-6 He goes for the ladder 1d6 ⇒ 2

Hearing Waifrin's warning, Marius looks right to see a group of goblins barrling toward the party. He quickly steps in front of Zarabeta and guts the lead goblin. Waifrin follows the gladiator and shreds the remaining shrieking little freaks.

Almost forgot. The watery canine bounds forward and snatches one of the goblins in its jaws. Three violent shakes of its head and the goblin spins into the wall. It does not get up.

Round 102:

Raven moves up beside Akorian and thrusts, but his target proves elusive.

Zara, her meanagerie, and Akorian to go.


This IS the internet you know ... Alegedly human Expert (IT) 5/Ninja 3/Witch 7
Last Vestige of Aroden wrote:
Not sure which group Marius was after myself. "knot of goblins that suddenly appear " sounds like the ones from the north. "right in front of me" sounds like the SW ladder crew because he was already moving that way. Likelihood of immediate response from Wellard is low. Chance will decide. 1-4 he hears Waif's warning and engages the north crew. 5-6 He goes for the ladder

<COUGH!> <COUGH!>

Waifrin Goddon wrote:
I YIMed Wellard to make certain, he said it was the group in the SW corner, the ones directly in front of him.

(Now in bold for emphasis)

YIM = Yahoo Instant Messenger, in other words we talked on it.


Rewriting my last post

Marius charges in and guts the new arrival.

Waifrin whirls and dodges in front of Zarabeta toward the goblins.Her shards and splinters shred the oncoming goblins.

The watery canine bounds forward and snatches one of the goblins in its jaws. Three violent shakes of its head and the goblin spins into the wall. It does not get up.

Round 102:

I make it 2 goblins left in the SW corner. A sword wielder and one still on the ladder.

Raven moves up beside Akorian and thrusts, but his target proves elusive.

Zara, her meanagerie, and Akorian to go.

Dabbler wrote:


<COUGH!> <COUGH!>

Waifrin Goddon wrote:
I YIMed Wellard to make certain, he said it was the group in the SW corner, the ones directly in front of him.

(Now in bold for emphasis)

YIM = Yahoo Instant Messenger, in other words we talked on it.

Sorry, Dabbler. It didn't translate the first time.


This IS the internet you know ... Alegedly human Expert (IT) 5/Ninja 3/Witch 7

S'OK, I realised when I re-read it that it actually wasn't that clear!

Qadira

F Human Wizard (Conjuror) 5

This should be the last round of the water-dog.

The shaggy dog jowls shake and spray goblin-blood-tinged water around as it looks for its next target and lopes towards it, fangs snapping. It's time on this plane spent, it collapses into a surge of seawater and evaporates.

bite attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (4) + 5 = 9
damage 1d6 + 5 ⇒ (3) + 5 = 8

Zarabeta's elemental minion has no head to turn, but moves across the floor like a rippling side of dirt and gravel, and attempts to brain the nearest goblin to its point of appearance B7.

slam 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (9) + 8 = 17
damage 1d6 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8

Zarabeta herself selects a goblin within 30 ft. that is not already engaged in melee combat, if possible, at sends a viper-shaped stream of acid coiling through the air like a living things.

ranged touch attack 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18
acid damage 1d6 + 2 ⇒ (6) + 2 = 8


Male Human (Chelish-Azlanti) Cleric 4

I'm not sure if there's any goblins left by the time we reach Akorian in the initiative count. Way to go, ladies! But, I'll post Akorian's assumed action...

Frustrated with the nimble goblin, Akorian attempts to strike him again, but the goblins all seem to wither under the attacks of his comrades before he can even launch a blow into the fray.

Melee attack with +1 morningstar... 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (1) + 6 = 7
Damage, if applicable... 1d8 + 3 ⇒ (3) + 3 = 6


Akorian is spared the ignominy of a horrendous whiff when the elemental pounds the sword bearing goblin and Zarabeta chemically burns the one on the ladder.

There is shouting, screaming, shrieking and squealing from upstairs and the sound of goblins tromping rapidly back toward the center of the building.

You're clear again -- for a while.

Andoran

Female Human Wilder 5th | AC13 | HP39 | Str 10 | Dex 15 | Con 13 | PP37/37

"They could be setting up for a rush down the stairway," Waifrin warns. "Do we have any fire?" She asks suddenly. "The trapdoors will act like chimneys, we can smoke them out!"

Andoran

Male Human Fighter 5 (Favoured Class)

knowledge Engineering1d20 + 7 ⇒ (4) + 7 = 11

Marius shakes his head "We don't want to burn this place it'll go up like tinder..better we meet them head on ..they cannot stand against us we know that"


The center stairway from first to the second floor is gone now. "The goblins have been busy."

Andoran

Female Human Wilder 5th | AC13 | HP39 | Str 10 | Dex 15 | Con 13 | PP37/37
Marius Goddon wrote:
"We don't want to burn this place it'll go up like tinder.."

"... and this is a problem?" Waifrin asks.

Andoran

Male Human Fighter 5 (Favoured Class)

"For a number of reasons yes..one it will doubtless spread to other buildings and with no one living here that could result in the whole district going up. Two,it will attract attention to this place which we don't want and three it will collapse into the basement and stop us penetrating to the heart of this lair."

Andoran

Female Human Wilder 5th | AC13 | HP39 | Str 10 | Dex 15 | Con 13 | PP37/37

"Well the building is standing alone, so the fire won't spread, but I take your other points. Otherwise we're at an impasse - we're vulnerable if we try and get up there through their ladders, they are unwilling to come down here where we can fight them. It might be our only alternative."


Male Elf Rogue 5th

"Perhaps checking out the rest of this floor might be a good idea," Raven offers. "One never knows what one may find, maybe even such things as secret doors and passages. So, anyone coming with me? If not, I would greatly appreciate your coming to my rescue if or when you hear dignified scream for help."

With a smile, the elf starts to do as he suggested, moving away from the rst and beginning a more thorough search of the place.

Perception 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (13) + 9 = 22, 24 to locate traps

Andoran

Male Human Fighter 5 (Favoured Class)

"Let's not get split up like last time.." Marius escorts Raven keeping a respectful distance away from the searching Rogue

Qadira

F Human Wizard (Conjuror) 5

Zarabeta regrets having used her once-daily special technique to call up this elemental for an extended duration, as it sits around, no targets in sight, until the weight of this alien dimension crushes it out of existence.

Staring at the dust that remains of her most powerful conjuring, she mutters, "I understand why we shouldn't burn the place to the ground, but these creatures are vexing me..."


Set, you could send the elemental up the stairs or down the basement without waiting for the search. Retcon available to you.

Raven looks, but doesn't find secret doors or traps. You've got the stairs down to the basement and ladders going up in the SW and NE corners.

Are you looting the other bodies too?

Qadira

F Human Wizard (Conjuror) 5
Last Vestige of Aroden wrote:
Set, you could send the elemental up the stairs or down the basement without waiting for the search. Retcon available to you.

Ooh! Thanks! Rewinding time with this awesome new power available to her...

Making expansive gestures with her hands, and kicking it once to get it moving, Zarabeta persuades the elemental creature to go up the stairs and continue smashing any goblins it can find.

The creature takes a double move action, and, if it sees goblins in its travels, will head towards them by the most direct route possible.

It will have three more rounds of 'life' after this, in which to possibly smoosh some goblins.

Pre-rolled attacks, since it will be out of sight

Spoiler:

Round 4
slam 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (12) + 8 = 20 damage1d6 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8
Round 5
slam 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (20) + 8 = 28 damage1d6 + 6 ⇒ (5) + 6 = 11
Round 6
slam 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (5) + 8 = 13 damage1d6 + 6 ⇒ (2) + 6 = 8


Male Elf Rogue 5th
Last Vestige of Aroden wrote:
Are you looting the other bodies too?

I suppose I might as well. We are currently catching our breath, so it might not be a bad idea to get this out of the way. Unless, of course, things start attacking us again, in which case I guess Raven will have to defend himself and help the others instead of looking for pretty shinies. ;-)


All this searching. Raven is going to be busy for a bit. Next goblin -- nothing interesting a few coins total to be announced later.

From upstairs comes a grinding sound as the elemental moves forward. Squeals shreiks, some dull thuds. A goodly cheer. Then all is silent up there.

The elemental acquitted himself well.

Plan?

Andoran

Female Human Wilder 5th | AC13 | HP39 | Str 10 | Dex 15 | Con 13 | PP37/37

Waifrin closes her eyes a moment and meditates for a moment to regain her mental clarity regaining psionic focus.

"I don't have the power to bring the roof down, and they have learned not to challenge us. Perhaps we can lure them down? If we foray into the cellar they may grow braver."

Andoran

Male Human Fighter 5 (Favoured Class)

Marius nods.."But lets make things that bit more difficult for them"

@DM..how substantial is this ladder and what fixes it to the wall?


The ladder is of the same quality as the goblins' weapons and other gear. It's a cobbled up set of odds and ends that looks as likely to fall apart as bear a human's weight.

This particular specimen in the SW room actually has a real ladder as a skeleton with a chair propping up on broken leg and a number of boards nailed to the legs in place of broken rungs. Four pieces of crude ironwork act as angles to hold the ladder upright against the wall.

You don't even need to roll to take it out. One concentrated effort will do it easily.

Andoran

Male Human Fighter 5 (Favoured Class)

Marius grabs hold of the ladder, tenses his muscles and rips it away from the wall kicking the chair out of the way as the angles clatter to the floor.

"Now let's see to the other one " he announces as he throws the wood aside.


A the crash of the ladder falling, the goblins chitter and one skitters back to look at the ladder's wreckage. "Owwaa."

The other ladder is just a series of boards nailed into the wall. Easy to pry off, but time consuming.

Raven, while Marius rips down the first ladder you finish with the original four goblins. Total cash on them 24 gp, mostly from the elder. The blade on one of their improvised knives is platinum. You've got the elder's ring and dagger. Also any number of stinky, cheap, gaudy, or grotesque charms or fetishes.

Marius:

Spoiler:
If you start on the second ladder -- a pair of goblins dash over to the hole. Spear and crossbow.

Andoran

Female Human Wilder 5th | AC13 | HP39 | Str 10 | Dex 15 | Con 13 | PP37/37

Waifrin moves close to cover Marius with her crossbow as he tears the boards away, just in case they try dropping rocks on his head.

Andoran

Male Human Fighter 5 (Favoured Class)

Marius pulls his axe and begins to hew at the rickety ladder.

"Shoot the crossbowman Waif" is all he says.

Andoran

Female Human Wilder 5th | AC13 | HP39 | Str 10 | Dex 15 | Con 13 | PP37/37

"What crossbowman?"

Waifrin steps close and peers upwards ... if she sees a crossbowman she shoots.

Initiative: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (5) + 3 = 8
Attack: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (7) + 5 = 12 Damage: 1d8 ⇒ 8


Init: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (17) + 2 = 19

Waifrin's question is answered by the snap of a crossbow's cable and the

1d20 + 3 ⇒ (1) + 3 = 4 .. damage 1d6 ⇒ 6

thud of a quarrel smashing into the floor.

"Shazzbat! hfsds jfhur iore !!"

Waifrin's return fire misses but drives the goblins back from the hole.

Andoran

Female Human Wilder 5th | AC13 | HP39 | Str 10 | Dex 15 | Con 13 | PP37/37

"Oh, that crossbowman," Waifrin remarks, reloading.


Male Elf Rogue 5th

"You two seem to have hit it off with a few more of the locals," Raven quips with a chuckle as he approaches Marius and Waifrin. His rapier is back in its scabbard, while in his right hand he holds his hand crossbow. Once next to the pair, the elf too aims his weapon at the opening above them. "Go ahead, take care of this ladder too. We will cover you."

"Incidentally," he says as if making small talk with his friends over a cup of wine, "I did manage to gather a bit of gold from the goblins we took care of, as well as a rather crude-looking knife with a blade of platinum. Along with the ring and dagger from that spellcaster of theirs, it would seem this little foray into their hiding place might prove rewarding in more ways than just the moral one."

If a goblin rears its head to take another shot at Marius, Raven will be firing a bolt at it.

Initiative 1d20 + 6 ⇒ (6) + 6 = 12

Ranged attack (hand crossbow) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (20) + 7 = 27 [Critical Threat]
Damage (piercing) 1d4 ⇒ 3
Ranged attack (hand crossbow) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (6) + 7 = 13 [Critical Hit Confirmation]
Damage (piercing) 1d4 ⇒ 4

By the way, why does "shazzbat" seem so familiar to me?

Andoran

Male Human Fighter 5 (Favoured Class)

Shazzbat..the Goblins are speaking Orkan..as in Mork from Ork.Next thing we'll find out they have a god called Orson..

Marius hacks at the ladder until he has destroyed every rung within reach.


The goblins do not reappear during the ladder's destruction and any conversation upstairs is uncharacteristically muted.

Your go.

Wellard, takes the prize in cross cultural minutia. Sorry -- Shazzbat just screams goblin curse to me.


Male Human (Chelish-Azlanti) Cleric 4

"Let me head up," Akorian offers, "Even if they target me, I can call on Milani's power to heal any injuries they might inflict. And, if successful, I can create a opening for the rest of you to follow and we can put an end to them. It's probably a better alternative than leaving them behind us and trying to venture down into the tunnels below this tower."

Andoran

Male Human Fighter 5 (Favoured Class)

Marius turns from his destruction of the ladder.."You could have said that before I made it impossible Akorian"


The SW ladder could be put back together. Ladder leaning against wall on chair, supported by 2 PCs while Akorian climbs and the pot of melted lead .... Good times.

2,751 to 2,800 of 4,453 << first < prev | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / City of Nine Stars -- City of Twilight All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.