Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

Chronicles of the Silver Rose Company

Game Master Patrick Curtin

This campaign is my attempt to play a canonical Planescape campaign using the updated Pathfinder ruleset. The game actually predates the release of Pathfinder, but we have managed to update as we have needed.


11,101 to 11,150 of 12,139 << first < prev | 218 | 219 | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | 225 | 226 | 227 | 228 | next > last >>

female elan Psion (Kineticist) 9

"I think that's my cue," Sanna said with a smirk. "So sorry to miss the undead world and all, but I have my own problems to deal with....Nari -"

"Whatever you're going to say don't. I'll be okay. Obviously I still have some areas to work on, but no one doesn't have some flaws. I'll find a teacher to help me. Good luck, Sanna. And goodbye."

Sanna smiled. "I'd say you're doomed, but you have this nasty habit of proving me wrong. Maybe I'll see you again someday. But I wouldn't count on it. Have a nice life."

"I'd say the same to you, but I know you won't take advantage of it. Just..remember that you are your own person. You can make your own choices. You always could. That's why we're both still here."

Sanna just nodded and went back to her beetle mount and got on. "Good luck getting back to Sigil. It's been interesting." She rode off without looking back.

Nari watched her ride away, and then turned back to the group. "Well, I'm not so sure about going through an undead world. It sounds unpleasant. But I would definitely like to go home."


Male Human (Athasian) Cleric 9

Ekuur thinks of his congregation back in Sigil, and of those he holds dear on the Plane of Fire, and remarks, "I am in favor of whichever route gets us back quickly. I am unafraid; a world of the walking dead should be cleansed with fire so that it may regrow."


Human Wiz 8

"Yeeeeaaaahhh,..." Justin drawls out, watching Sanna depart and glancing oddly at Nari. He pulls his attention back to the circle of friends.

"Well I wasn't exactly planning to just jump in and start a war,... (Although that's never actually stopped us, now that I think about it,...) I just remember that it's supposed to be a single gate hop to Sigil. As opposed to the weeks of travel and gates we originally took on our journey out here." Justin points out reasonably.

"You can call it 'Plan C' or even 'Plan Z' for all I care, as long as you don't call ME late for dinner! I just think we've been on the road long enough. There are forces at work in the planes that I'm glimpsing that I don't even pretend to understand. ('Undead Fiends'?!? I mean really, what's next? 'Instant dinners'?) At least Sigil makes sense. (Sort of. Never thought I'd actually say THAT out loud!)" Justin murmurs his asides with a straight face, never mentioning the dread feeling in his heart that his friend that disappeared before they left was in trouble.

And that d@mnable chilly itch between his shoulder blades was NOT helping his anxiety at all. He checked for the hundredth time to make sure the masks were secure, and tried again to ignore the feeling that they were watching him.

See you all when I get back, Monday! :)


Male Half-elf (Planar) Ranger 5/Rogue 2/Plane Walker 1

Isaac keeps out of the discussion, just standing in the healed area of the World Ash.

Is there any alternative to the 87th Death World?
Knowledge- The Planes: 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (19) + 11 = 30
+2 if Yggdrasil is considered part of the Astral, though I'm not sure if it would be.


Bribes always welcome

Issac:

Spoiler:
Issac, having been raised on the Big Bark, knows a few other paths off. However, there are no direct shots to the Cage (probably due to its lack of large vegetation). Most of the paths he knows are slogs across several gates.


Male Half-elf (Planar) Ranger 5/Rogue 2/Plane Walker 1

"I don't tumble to the dead plane either, cutters, but it's point A to point B. We plot another route and it's A to B, maybe back to A again upside-down, skip past to Z, run screaming to H and then end the jaunt at C. Portals, right? So let's call in with the ratatosk, grab a pint or two in Crux and give Yggdrasil the laugh."


female Tiefling 9th level Duskblade

"Just so you know," Karrin says, "I got into the World Serpent Inn by blindly running through a doorway, and from there into sigel and I haven't been able to get home since. I hope you guys know where this other door is and I hope you got the right key because I don't want to get trapped again. Not that getting trapped in some undead plane would keep us trapped for long I figure, I mean I don't want to discriminate or do any racial profiling but some of those undead are mindless merciless killing machines. Defiantly not the sort you want to invite over for tea and stuff. I mean I figure I could take out a hundred or so before they dragged me down but seeing as it's their plane and I figure that could have as many as an infinite number of undead, and infinite is about as big a number you can think of, only thing bigger is infinite plus one, so like with that many undead we'd better be darn sure we know where the exit is. Right?"


Bribes always welcome

ok where to? Crux or the Ratatosk village?


Male Half-elf (Planar) Ranger 5/Rogue 2/Plane Walker 1

"Veridis lanned us the chant last we were there- they use the route teh get from their Berg to the Cage pretty frequent-like. Expect the unexpected, 'course, but I'd reckon we can be confident it'll be a short jaunt.", Isaac says, very carefully not saying that he's completely sure of anything.

We could just drop in quickly to the village and let Glittereye know the Warpwood's cleared up and move on back to Crux.


Bribes always welcome

You got it

The party collects their gear and heads back the way they came. They arrive at the Ratatosk village as the darkness becomes complete over Yggdrasil.

They arrive to see a raucous party going on. Squirrelfolk run all about, many holding beakers of various drinks. When the group arrives a chittery cheer rises up from two hundred furry throats.

They are immediately swarmed by the ratatosk. Drinks of ale and fermented bug juice are pressed into their hands. Glittereye walks up to them, looking decades younger. His stooped spine has straightened, and his eyes are no longer rheumy

"You have done the Mother a great service, heroes." He says to an accompanying cheer from the assembled crowd


Male Human (Athasian) Cleric 9

Ekuur takes the offered ale and takes a long swallow. "My thanks. Very good," he says simply.


Bribes always welcome

The party is escorted into the honeycomb warrens within Yggdrasil. They are given another room filled with downy fluff to put their stuff in, then they are taken to a large high-ceininged room where a Ratatosk version of a banquet is being held in their honor. It comes off somewhere between a Sensate party and a lemming migration.

Treesap beer and frost giant vodka are passed about, along with elixirs of fermented mushrooms, and bug juice. Issac's pet monkey Chee Chowk seems to have gotten over the last fight, where he hid in Issac's pack for almost the entire day LOL. He frisks among the Ratatosks, enjoying all the chasing about the small pups of the village indulge in.

Platters of pancakes and ewers of Yggdrasil syrup are presented along with giant pillbug stew with steakberries. Seared giant stag beetle steaks are dished out as well, along with heaping salads of various greens native to the Big Bark.

Glittereye takes the party aside during the ensuing festivities.

"We still have your prisoner detained. What did you want done with her?"

In case anyone might have forgotten their prisoner Talismin, her capture and interrogation starts :

>>here<<


female Tiefling 9th level Duskblade

"om nom nom nom"

I remember Talismin :)


Male Half-elf (Planar) Ranger 5/Rogue 2/Plane Walker 1

"Aye, I'd reckon Crux has a proper jail or maybe the Red Death'll have a bounty teh collect for 'er. We'll take her when we set out, Glittereye- thanks fer coolin' her heels here."


Bribes always welcome
Isaac wrote:
"Aye, I'd reckon Crux has a proper jail or maybe the Red Death'll have a bounty teh collect for 'er. We'll take her when we set out, Glittereye- thanks fer coolin' her heels here."

Chee Chowk scrambles up to Issac's shoulder, licking a patch of his fur that seems to have gotten stuck with syrup. Glittereye nods

"It is well. We are not a people used to restraining others. We have tried to keep her from resting overlong, for fear she was a wizard or some such."


female Tiefling 9th level Duskblade

"Man I love pancakes," Karrin says after a while, "I can't even remember the last time I had some good pancakes like this!"


Human Wiz 8

Justin enjoys a few pancakes, (managing to snag a couple before Karrin slid them onto her plate) He cautiously tries the stag beetle steaks and happily declares his approval by eating several. He politely passes on the pillbug stew, although he does admit it smells good. He agrees with Ekuur that the ale is good, although he makes no attempt to win any drinking contest, he is soon very relaxed.

He kicks back and enjoys the moment, laughing at all the jokes (the ones that are translated for him) and smiling at the antics of Chee-Chowk and the little ones.

He frowns when Isaac reminds them of Talismin.

"Oh. Yeah. Her."

"Well, whatever you think is best." He says noncommittally.


Human Wiz 8

Dang post-eater monster!
;P

Justin kicks back and enjoys himself. He seems to enjoy the Beetle steaks, but politely passes on the pillbug stew. (Although he does admit it smells good.) He agrees with Ekuurs' assessment of the beer. And although he doesn't try to win any drinking contests, he is soon happy and relaxed.

Until Isaac reminds them of Talismin.

"Oh, Yeah. Her."

"Whatever you think is best." He says noncommittally.


Human Wiz 8

Ah! I remembered Talismin, but the details were fuzzy. Thanks!

Time seems to have dulled the edge from when they first encountered her. He nods, remembering her 'friend' that they had dispatched.

"I maintain what we last said about her. I don't trust her enough to let her go. She'll just come after us again. But I won't kill a helpless prisoner. Crux sounds good. Unless you think there's a bounty on her? We can't be the FIRST people she's ever ticked off by her 'parlay' methods." Justin smirks.


female elan Psion (Kineticist) 9

Nari hangs back a bit, taking the chance to observe the ratatosk and her friends. She remembered. She remembered everything, but all of the memories from before she became this new her seemed distant, like a dream that happened to somebody else. Even more so now that Sanna was gone. She wasn't sure how she felt about Sanna. Sanna was a terrible person, but at the same time you don't share brain space with someone for more than a century without developing some attachment to them. She was glad they didn't have to fight each other any more, and the rest, well, it wasn't really that important anymore.
She took the time to apologize to Ekuur for what happened with the masked things. For her it had been like a vivid nightmare, but it bothered her that she had tried to hurt Ekuur because of that. She promised once again to find someone to teach her how to guard her mind when they got home. She had to get out of the habit of expecting Sanna to be there to shore up her mental defenses.
She also made sure to tell Merle how much she liked her new tattoo. It did look nice and definitely suited Merle.
Otherwise she just did her best to blend in with the walls.


Bribes always welcome

OK, we are stalled, so away we go ...

The group enjoys the feast, and decides to spend the evening to get a fresh start on their journey to Crux by 'day' light. All (except perhaps Ekuur who has allergies) have a restfull sleep in the downy-fur lined room they are given.

In the morning, Glittereye and some other Ratatosk join them and they feast on bug bacon and pancakes with Yggdrasil syrup. Afterwards as they check their gear and ready for their trip, a bedraggled-looking Talismin is brought before them, her arms tied tight with hempen rope and a gag in her mouth. She looks a bit worse for wear: Tired, soiled and auburn hair unwashed and matted. He eyes narrow as she spots the party.

"Here is your captive, friends, as promised." Glittereye says

They gather their equipment and head for their mounts outside. Crux is a few hours journey by giant bug, and the squirrel men sling the bound witch across Issac's saddle, tying her down snugly.

Glittereye pauses

"Once again, thanks to you all for your help. I know the Mother prizes you all as seedlings of her own bark. You are welcome in our hutch any time."

The Ratatosk send them off with bags of trailmix and seedpods full of a creamy sugary flesh like the finest pastry. Skins of treesap beer are tossed to them as well.

"Farewell!" The assembled Ratatosks chitter as the party departs.

1d6 ⇒ 3

The party has no issues travelling this day. It is bright and crisp, reminding the Primes in the party of an early Fall day in a temperate land. They soon arrive at Crux.

The town seems different. There isn't the solemn mood to the populace. Things seem as if they are less oppressive. Smiles rather than scowls meet them as they trot towards Redhook's Stables.

The one-armed stablemaster takes their bugs in rein and checks them out

"Good to see yeh took good care of them. I'll let Veridis know there'll be no extra charges."

The party frog marches Talismin towards Veridis' dwelling. The town boss is scratching on a parchment when they arrive, but he stands up and greets them

"You've returned! Come in and tell me what has happened!"

He looks at Talismin

"What's her story?"


Male Human (Athasian) Cleric 9

Ekuur remains in a little bit of a sour mood from the lack of sleep. Nevertheless, the sight of Crux seems to brighten him a bit, as he realizes the group is getting closer to getting back to Sigil. And even happier to be off the bugs. Though they remind him of Athas, he was never much of a rider.

As usual, he remains characteristically quiet and lets Isaac or another member of the group fill the townspeople in on what has happened.


Female catfolk sorceror 9

"Well short story is she tried to kill us bit it diddent work out so well for her."


Male Half-elf (Planar) Ranger 5/Rogue 2/Plane Walker 1

"Talismin here is a new friend of ours. Proper knight o' the post, she fancied the Thief of Charms after we took it off the khaasta. When our wig-wag wasn't agreeable, she tried teh pen us in the deadbook. The ratatosk kept an eye on 'er while we sorted out the Warpwood; I wanted to inquire if ye have space in yer lockup for her or if we should ask the Red Death if they tumble teh sortin' her out."


female elan Psion (Kineticist) 9

Nari was only vaguely paying attention to the conversation. It was strange. She remembered being here and yet everything was brand new. Like being here for the first time. She felt like that a lot lately. She wondered if it would be like that when they got home too. Would Sigil feel strange and new again? And she'd only just started getting used to it, too. She'd have to explain a lot about how she was still herself, but in a different body.


Bribes always welcome

It's funny but I always forget Nari is a completely different person now..

Veridis turns to Nari

"I see you seem to have picked up a new companion. Greetings, I am Veridis Mov, a humble facilitator. Welcome to Crux!"

He looks around

"Did you have some casualties? I notice a few folks missing."

He looks to Talismin again

"Why don't you take her to Captain F'Moil? He can arrange for her to go spend some time in the Prison, I'm thinking. We have an agreement with the Mercykillers to take our more ...umm ..dangerous prisoners to their specialized facilities."

Talismin starts to struggle and make grunting noises through her gag when this is mentioned


female elan Psion (Kineticist) 9

Well, that's understandable. It was a non-issue until we started to run into people who didn't already know. :)

Nari smiled. "It's a pleasure to meet you again, Veridis. Actually, I'm Naridre Ro'Arisahshe. Reincarnation is a strange thing, ne? Well, stranger than usual in my case, but that's a long story." ^.^


Human Wiz 8

heh, I tend to forget that too! ;P

Justin awakes none (too much) the worse for wear the next morning. A simple prestidigitation and his morning drink swiftly takes care of any lingering aftereffects.

He keeps a wizard eye wary during their travels. He maybe getting used to the bugs, but he still doesn't LIKE them. Especially when they traverse the vertical portions of the World tree. (He's not prone to vertigo, but feeling gravity pull at you one way while your looking DOWN at another should give anyone the willies!)

He is unusually quiet during their trip. Not chatting as much as usual. he keeps glancing at the others, particularly Nari and her new face. He also seems to check his coat fairly often, as if making certain that the rod is still there.

He gives a small but genuine smile when they approach Crux.
"Ah. Civilization!" He jests. As if the small town could ever compare to Sigil or any other large city.

Justin lets Isaac do the 'leader' thing and do most of the talking.

He raises an eyebrow at Talismins' reaction at the mention of the Mercykillers.

"Ho! I think we struck a nerve there! I suspect we weren't the first group your 'negotiation tactics' struck a nerve with, are we?" He smiles at the witch.


female Tiefling 9th level Duskblade

Karrin hasn't! She's still a wee bit miffed that someone would give up an elven body (even one with all the dents and nicks that Nari's had) and took another human looking one. Karrin is feels that she's stuck in an old beater of a body while Nari has had two luxury models. A scratched up and dented Roles Royce is still a Roles Royce after all. Even with a new paint job a AMC Gremlin is still a piece of junk.

"While I don't care for her," Karrin says pointing at Talismin, "I would want her to have the benefits of a fair trial and justice and all that stuff. I wouldn't want her summarily executed or whatever. I mean I don't entirely know what a mercy killer is but they don't sound like the forgiving sort and forgiving is kind of my religion."


Bribes always welcome

Verifis listens to Karrin with a solemn look

"Well, I am sure she will stand trial in Sigil. Highway robbery, grand larceny, and attempted murder are serious crimes though. I wouldn't doubt she stands in real danger of dancing under the leafless tree."

Veridis sighs

"However, we are not equipped to detain someone with magic for any length of time. Captain F'Moil can have here transported to the Cage for you."


female elan Psion (Kineticist) 9
Karrin Kind wrote:
Karrin hasn't! She's still a wee bit miffed that someone would give up an elven body (even one with all the dents and nicks that Nari's had) and took another human looking one. Karrin is feels that she's stuck in an old beater of a body while Nari has had two luxury models. A scratched up and dented Roles Royce is still a Roles Royce after all. Even with a new paint job a AMC Gremlin is still a piece of junk.

Ha! The funny thing is that Nari is actually happy that her new form looks more like Karrin because she always though that Karrin was prettier than her. ^.^

Plus there was that whole thing where her body was effectively a time share. :P


female Tiefling 9th level Duskblade
Naridre Ro'Arisahshe wrote:
Karrin Kind wrote:
Karrin hasn't! She's still a wee bit miffed that someone would give up an elven body (even one with all the dents and nicks that Nari's had) and took another human looking one. Karrin is feels that she's stuck in an old beater of a body while Nari has had two luxury models. A scratched up and dented Roles Royce is still a Roles Royce after all. Even with a new paint job a AMC Gremlin is still a piece of junk.

Ha! The funny thing is that Nari is actually happy that her new form looks more like Karrin because she always though that Karrin was prettier than her. ^.^

Plus there was that whole thing where her body was effectively a time share. :P

Karrin does get the reason for the new body, well not Nari thinking Karrin is pretty bit, but she does understand not wanting to share a body with anyone. See Karrin knows she's part devil and despises that part of her. If she could throw the devil out of her she would in a heart beat. However as her player I'm super happy with angst ridden Karrin and wouldn't want her to loose one of her defining features. Eventually she could even come to terms with her devil blood. Right now she's the only one that knows that she has the blood of a creature she hates.

Interestingly though, even with all the scars, Karrin thought Nari was prettier by default as elven blood beats out tiefling blood every time in her mine.

"Well," Karrin muses, "I suppose there are some sins that we mortals can't forgive, you need a god or goddess to judge them, and I suppose some folks need to be sent there directly. However I'm not qualified to judge her and I suppose we'll need to transport her where ever I guess. But I'm only gonna do it if I know she's going to get a fair trial and stuff."

Karrin turns and glares at Talismin, "Which I suppose is better then she deserves, but I don't have anger in my heart for her despite cavorting with demons, and being drained by said demon. She's self centered and cares only for herself and I sometimes wonder how I'd have turned out if I wasn't shown love and Roa's compassion at a very young age. But although I wasn't so lucky when it came to my sires I was very lucky when it came to those that became my family and just as lucky when it came to finding friends and companions. It's hard for me to hate someone like her you see. And I don't want death to be the price for not having love and support in her life . . . do you see?"


Male Half-elf (Planar) Ranger 5/Rogue 2/Plane Walker 1

Isaac scratches the back of his neck and sighs.

"Oi, the Mercykillers are a faction, cutter. They call kip at the Prison and work with the Fraternity of Order and the Harmonium as Sigil's justice system. The Red Death believes a cutter attains perfection through punishment, hence why they run the prison. The Guvnors run the courts and I'd reckon ye already know the Hardheads are the constables round the Cage. They're called Mercykillers on account they been two factions at one point- assassins called the Sodkillers and bounty hunters called the Sons of Mercy. The Lady o' Pain got sick o' so many factions and made 'em consolidate, so they became the Mercykillers. Not much mercy in 'em, way the screed goes, but they're Lawful as a modron's backside. Unless ye fancy keepin' her as a pet, it's the best she'll get, right?"

"Enough o' my screed, though. Well, Veridis, we're itchin' teh make the return to Sigil. If ye keep her in lockup tonight, I'd reckon we might be able teh save F'Moil the bother and take her with us the last leg when we set out."


Human Wiz 8

Justin shakes his head, trying to keep up with Isaac's once-again heavy slang.

"'OI' is right! I don't blame the Lady myself. I can't hardly keep track of the Factions there are now!"

"Right. Well, If we're gonna be doing the babysitting, I need to adjust my spells for tomorrow." He smirks knowingly at Talismin.

=====
Out of earshot of the prisoner, (he doesn't want her to know exactly what she's dealing with) Justin pulls Ekuur aside and holds a whispered conversation.

"Ekuur, can you ask the Flame for a Silence prayer tomorrow? Or maybe two? I figure between those, and my Dispel Magic enchantments, we should be able to keep her from being too much of a danger even if she does slip her bonds during the journey."
=====

I like Karrin the way you play her! And while I would like to see the poor girl find peace and happiness with herself on all levels, she just wouldn't be the same lovable Karrin without all of her Angst! :) Although if Less Angst = Less choke holds, Justin might prefer her to find peace and happiness sooner rather than later! ;P


Bribes always welcome
Isaac wrote:
"Enough o' my screed, though. Well, Veridis, we're itchin' teh make the return to Sigil. If ye keep her in lockup tonight, I'd reckon we might be able teh save F'Moil the bother and take her with us the last leg when we set out."

Veridis nods, and shouts for an assistant. The young man takes posession of Talismin and marches her towards the sherrif's office.

"I appreciate that cutters. Please, may I offer you free lodging at the King's Table for the evening? I'd like to hear a more detailed account of what transpired out there on the Big Bark."

For quickness sake, I am going to assume this is amenable to you all...

The party retires to the King's Table, the top-shelf inn in the burg. Veridis seems to know the owner well, and the party is given as many rooms as they feel they need to accomidate themselves. At dinner, Veridis and Capatin F'Moil show up and treat the group to a free tucker. They listen to the account of the Chrysagmir and the Warpwood with astonishment. Afterwards they thank the party and retire to their homes.

The next morning dawns bright and crisp. There is a caravan headed for Sigil through the Ranais gate, and Veridis has arranged for the group to tag along. The caravan is mostly wood products, lashed to large wagons drawn by oxen. The oxen sport larger spiky horns, red-striped hides and burning red eyes. Their mouths are muzzled, and unlike normal oxen a hint of carnivore fang can be seen at their lipline. Veridis answers at the inevitable question.

"They are fiend-bred oxen. Mean, but unlikely to startle should there be any trouble with the inhabitants of Ranais."

Veridis and Captain F'Moil see them off. Talismin is returned to their custody, looking as if someone made an attempt to clean her up a bit. Her original garments have been replaced by a shapeless grey wool gown and her gag has been replaced with a fresh cloth.

The caravan sets off, heading down one of the many side branches that join the main trunk near Crux. The caravan master Jenk F'Necronis is a taciturn man. He is armed with a large battleaxe and two smaller more workman-like throwing axes. He wears plain but servicible armor plate. The caravan drovers are similarly armed.

I'll halt here. Anything you wanted to do in Crux say now, and it will be assumed to be done. It is a small burg, but it has a lot of trade, so you can buy most non-exotic things there at regular price. Any questions or the like say now, and I'll advance the storyline soon.


Human Wiz 8

Is it wrong that I get happy whenever I see there's a new post on one of your threads Monkey? ;)

Justin enjoys himself, keeping his friends company and enjoying the camaraderie.

He does take a brief sojourn through the town, mostly for parchment and writing supplies.

Might scribe a couple of scrolls. Let me find where my money is supposed to be! ;P


Bribes always welcome
Justin Case wrote:
Is it wrong that I get happy whenever I see there's a new post on one of your threads Monkey? ;)

Not at all. It means I am doing my job ;)

Justin finds a small shop that specializes in the tools of the wizard's trade. Their prices are fair standard, and they have a small but inclusive listing of items.


Male Human (Athasian) Cleric 9

Ekuur nods at Justin's request. "I can, of course." Ekuur spends the morning in prayer, and asks the Sacred Flame for the ability to create silence, like that after a great conflagration, when nothing but ash left. He also replenishes his ability to stave off death, knowing that Ranais' inhabitants are particular fans of it.


Bribes always welcome

About an hour out of Crux, a worm-ridden branch rears up in the path of the caravan. In its center is a large dark knothole, easily 20 feet in diameter. It is shallow in depth, possibly only a few feet until the rotted wood begins. Jenk strides forth and tosses a whitish powder towards the knothole. An ebony-colored portal spings up, veined with bright red streaks. Jenks motions the caravan forward, occasionally tossing more white powder to keep the portal open.

The party steps through the portal, and feels that indescribable stretching that accompanies planar gating. They emerge in a dark city.

They are in a large stone-cobbled plaza. Two huge dead trees lean on each other behind them, forming the terminus of the planar portal. All around them are cyclopean ruined buildings made of crumbling marble.

The trees are surrounded by stone plinths wreathed in runes. The stelae glow slightly in the bright moonlit plaza, a stylized sun surmounting their carven tops. The stelae narrow and march off two by two through the city, marking a wide pathway.

In the black starry sky a huge skull sits, shining brightly. The light is like a very bright moon, or a very dim sun. The black eye sockets seem to follow the party as they walk about the circle.

Jenk calls out, "Mind yeh stay in the circle. Nought can bother you in here."

The caravan starts to head off through the deserted ruined city.

As the party travels, they see many dreadful wonders. Statues rear fifty feet high, topped with demonic faces laughing at the black sky. A ziggurat constructed of red porphyry passes by, its summit caked in centuries-dried gore. A garden of dead flowers lines the outside of a colonnaded building, the once-bright colors now faded sepia ghosts.

The ruins aren't entirely abandoned. Occasionally, the party catches sight of a misty form in a dark window. Once, a shambling mummified zombie slouches out of a ruined doorway, its dry husk jerking and hopping in an obscene manner. It comes close to a stelae, but is stopped by a glowing blue force that leaps from the rune-graven post. It turns and shambles off, its hide smoking slightly.

Dust swirls along their feet, choking them and obscuring their vision. The air tastes of ancient tombs and bitter metal.

Any actions, let me know. I will advance the storyline soon


Female catfolk sorceror 9

"Cheery place." Merle mumbles as they head onward.


female elan Psion (Kineticist) 9
Merle Barer wrote:
"Cheery place." Merle mumbles as they head onward.

Nari whimpers a little in response as she is back to hiding behind Karrin, since she's pretty sure that that's the safest place to be, her green eyes wide with terror as she looks nervously at the scene around them.


Male Half-elf (Planar) Ranger 5/Rogue 2/Plane Walker 1

Isaac pulls the bandana around his neck up over his mouth and nose, trying to limit how much of the omnipresent dust gets into his lungs. Calling Chee-Chowk from his pack, he does something similar (in miniature) to the helper monkey.

"Just keep covered up, old son. We'll give this place the laugh soon enough.", he says... though whether to the monkey or himself, it isn't clear. He tries to stop himself, but Isaac can't help but scratch at his left shoulder now and again, the old bite gnawing at his memory even after the ghoul that inflicted it long since ceased gnawing at his body. The Godsmen peers between the stelae with his sharp eyes, half-expecting the warding magic to fail.

Perception:1d20 + 17 ⇒ (17) + 17 = 34


Bribes always welcome
Isaac wrote:

Isaac pulls the bandana around his neck up over his mouth and nose, trying to limit how much of the omnipresent dust gets into his lungs. Calling Chee-Chowk from his pack, he does something similar (in miniature) to the helper monkey.

"Just keep covered up, old son. We'll give this place the laugh soon enough.", he says... though whether to the monkey or himself, it isn't clear. He tries to stop himself, but Isaac can't help but scratch at his left shoulder now and again, the old bite gnawing at his memory even after the ghoul that inflicted it long since ceased gnawing at his body. The Godsmen peers between the stelae with his sharp eyes, half-expecting the warding magic to fail.

Perception:1d20+17

Chee Chowk chitters nervously, and holds on tight to Issac's shoulder.

Issac:

Spoiler:
Issac's keen senses and hostility to undead allow him to perceive much more among the tumbled stones of the accursed city. The ruins crawl with undead. Issac sees what look to be plumes of dust in the distance, but they move with too much purpose to be simply dust devils. The dark windows of the buildings hide spectres, their tortured faces staring out at the passing caravan with avarice and hunger. The clack of bone on bone hides in the sighing of the mournful wind. The dead do not approach, but they watch and they wait, ever patient as their kind are.

Issac does not doubt that exploring this place would be a dangerous proposition. Who knows what festers in the dark recesses of the immense ruined buildings lining their path?


Bribes always welcome

Moving on ...

The caravan travels for about two hours. Eventually the city starts to dwindle, and they pass through an immense shattered gate attached to 10-meter-thick walls.

Above the gate easily a hundred dried corpses hang from fraying ropes. The corpses sway and twitch, their empty eyes tracking the caravan. They moan, a low husky sound that echoes over the remnants of the brass-bound city gate. Several of them have placards around their necks with descriptions like 'thief' and 'murderer'

"We're almost at Fort Pelor!" Jenk calls back to them.

After another hour's travel the stelae again widen out, encircling what looks to be a walled encampment of some sort. The gate is held by several half-orc looking fellows. One of them, an imposing brute in dented plate, strides out to talk to Jenk. Money is exchanged, and the caravan is ushered inside the walls. Above the gate is a weathered wood sign in the shape of a stylized sun:

WELCOME TO FORT PELOR


female Tiefling 9th level Duskblade

Karrin frowns at the sight of the bodies.

"Pelor is a god from my world," Karrin says after a time, "Though I'd have thought that the followers of the Sun Father would have the decency to bury the dead. Though I suppose it's possible that the fort only bears the name of the god and has since switched hands. Anyways that's a grisly display and it only serves to scare honest folk rather then deter criminals."


Bribes always welcome

Karrin, the bodies aren't at the fort, rather they were at the city gates. Fort Pelor is an hours walk from the (name unknown) city the party ported into


Bribes always welcome

The walls of the fort are tight-fitting stones moratred together. Although the construction looks like it was well-done, the mortar is crumbling and several stones have gone missing.

Inside the encampment is a hodge-podge of buildings. They look weathered and hastily built, most of them shacks made of whatever came to hand. There is a well-built small temple with a brass dome top in the distance and a large round obelisk dominates the center of the fort.

Jenk nods to the party.

"we're going to stop and do a bit of business before heading to the Cage. The portal is yon round obelisk yonder. Talk to the Keymaster at the Octogon House right next to it to obtain passage."

He starts shouting and the drovers begin to feed the oxen a mash of grain and what looks to be raw bug meat.

Taldor

Male hu-man Paladin

I picked up that they weren't at the fort, but I'd gathered that they were being used to mark territory. Much like a certain Bulgarian/Romanian prince did in the 15th century to dissuade the Ottoman Empire from invading. I didn't even realize that the city gate belonged to another independent entity altogether. Karrin's comments will likely stand as she's probably unaware that the priests of Pelor have no control over the city's gates.

I meant to post this last night but it didn't post for some reason. Thank god for text recovery


Bribes always welcome

No worries. I just didn't want you to think the walls of Fort Pelor were festooned with corpses. It gives a different sort of impression than I wanted =)


Male Half-elf (Planar) Ranger 5/Rogue 2/Plane Walker 1

Isaac nods to Jenk.
"Thanks, good trading cutter."

He pulls Talismin from the wagon (or wherever she was stowed) and steers her toward the Octagon house.
"You cutters have a mind to cool yer heels or we ready to give this plane the laugh?", he asks the rest of the Rose.

11,101 to 11,150 of 12,139 << first < prev | 218 | 219 | 220 | 221 | 222 | 223 | 224 | 225 | 226 | 227 | 228 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Chronicles of the Silver Rose Company All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.