Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends


Chronicles of the Silver Rose Company

Game Master Patrick Curtin

This campaign is my attempt to play a canonical Planescape campaign using the updated Pathfinder ruleset. The game actually predates the release of Pathfinder, but we have managed to update as we have needed.


6,151 to 6,200 of 12,225 << first < prev | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | next > last >>

Bribes always welcome
Isaac wrote:
"We just got to give 'is sister a wake-up call, cutter. Little too much excitement, y'know. We can pay yeh fer the privilege, just a quick splash'll set her right."

The tall man that addressed Seph looks over at the group holding the tied-up catfolk.

"Well, here, take mine if you just need a quick splash. Yeh might want to untie the poor bint though."

He hands over an oaken bucket.


male Catfolk
Dungeon Monkey wrote:
Isaac wrote:
"We just got to give 'is sister a wake-up call, cutter. Little too much excitement, y'know. We can pay yeh fer the privilege, just a quick splash'll set her right."

The tall man that addressed Seph looks over at the group holding the tied-up catfolk.

"Well, here, take mine if you just need a quick splash. Yeh might want to untie the poor bint though."

I knew we were forgetting something

Seph takes the Oaken Bucket and quickly fills it with water "Thanks a lot Mister" he says as he carry's the bucket over to the others


female Tiefling 9th level Duskblade

Well the others talk Karrin walks over to the fountain, sets her axe down, and grabbing Merle by the ankles dips the poor uncontentious carfolk head first into the water. There's a lack of humor or mirth in the tiefling's usually happy go lucky carefree demeanor and it's clear to all that the Karrin isn't currently in the best of moods. Still Karrin isn't looking to drown Merle, this is a dunking, and she bobs the uncontentious catfolk up to her chest before pulling her out and dunking her again. Karrin continues this ruff treatment until Merle shows signs of rousing . . . then Karrin dunks her once more to ensure the wayward mage gets the message.

"We have business to take care of," Karrin snales in a most uncharacteristic fashion, as she sets poor Merle down, "so pull your self together and let's get to it."

Sense motive DC 10:

Spoiler:
Although Karrin yells at Merle she is clearly more upset with herself and certain other members of the group. Isaac and Swire in particular can't help but feel the cold shoulder


Male Human Rogue 6

Swire watches impassively as Merle gets dunked awake.

Sense Motive: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (2) + 8 = 10

Of course, he realizes that Karrin's angrier at him than Merle. He still doesn't really care.


male Catfolk

"Uh never mind sir Guess we wont be needing the bucket. Thanks any way" Seph hands the bucket back


Female catfolk sorceror 9

Quick question did anyone Untie, ungag or remove the blindfold from Merle?


female Tiefling 9th level Duskblade

Oops! Forgot about those :D
I'll assume Karrin did (even though she's in a pissy mood at the moment) ;)


Female catfolk sorceror 9

Assuming dunking her wakes her up If it doesn't just Ignore

"RRRREEEOOOOOWWWWW W-WHAT THE HELLS ARE Y-" she suddenly goes very quite as she sees the glares Karrin and Seph are sending her way "What?"


Male Half-elf (Planar) Ranger 5/Rogue 2/Plane Walker 1

"...that's another way to do it. Thanks anyway, cutter."
Sense motive 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (15) + 1 = 16
Isaac doesn't say anything else to the rest of the party. Just scowls and pulls out a scrap of paper from seemingly nowhere.
Taking a look at the semi burnt papers found in the Shadowknave's kip.


female Tiefling 9th level Duskblade

just to quickly reiterate what Karrin said earlier:

"We have business to take care of," Karrin snales in a most uncharacteristic fashion, as she sets poor Merle down, "so pull your self together and let's get to it."

Karrin stalks off.

Although perhaps not in the correct direction ;)
If anyone corrects her or she notes Karrin quickly catches up.

Random dice roll to see if Karrin knows where she's going: 1d20 ⇒ 17

Looks like she heads in the right direction :D


Female catfolk sorceror 9

Merle not quite realising what has just happened is a bit quick off the Mark "What the hells is her problem?"


Male Human Rogue 6
Merle Barer wrote:
Merle not quite realising what has just happened is a bit quick off the Mark "What the hells is her problem?"

"May have something to do with us having to ransom you back from those berks. Speaking of which, you now owe me 1021 gold pieces, 10 silver pieces and five shiny little Greens."


Female catfolk sorceror 9

"You what?" Merle appears to still be half asleep her second question is "Wait I was only worth 1022 Gold?"


male Catfolk

Seph gently tugs on mr Swire's sleave and quietly so that Merle can't hear asks "Wasn't it only a 1000 gold for the ransom?"


Male Human Rogue 6
Merle Barer wrote:
"You what?" Merle appears to still be half asleep her second question is "Wait I was only worth 1022 Gold?"

"No, only a thousand. I just tossed my whole coin purse at 'em."


Female catfolk sorceror 9

"Why do I owe you more than a thousand gold then?" Merle looks mildly dazed and annoyed her head still swimming from the poison.


Male Half-elf (Planar) Ranger 5/Rogue 2/Plane Walker 1

Isaac walks past following Karrin.
"Leatherhead tax.", he says,"It's a standard fee."


Male Human Rogue 6
Merle Barer wrote:
"Why do I owe you more than a thousand gold then?" Merle looks mildly dazed and annoyed her head still swimming from the poison.

"Because I didn't have a chance to get the extra money out of my coin purse, thus I spent more than a thousand gold on you, thus you owe me more than a thousand gold. Make sense?"


Female catfolk sorceror 9

"B-but I don't have a thousand gold." Her head is starting to clear slightly and she begins to remember what has happened earlier


Bribes always welcome
Isaac wrote:

"...that's another way to do it. Thanks anyway, cutter."

Sense motive 1d20+1
Isaac doesn't say anything else to the rest of the party. Just scowls and pulls out a scrap of paper from seemingly nowhere.
Taking a look at the semi burnt papers found in the Shadowknave's kip.

Issac:

Spoiler:
The papers look similar to the ones Toranna had in her journal, and in some sort of code. There are numerical tables on one piece, but it has been partially burnt


Bribes always welcome
Karrin Kind wrote:
... Karrin stalks off. ...

Karrin begins walking back towards the Butcher's Block.

Are you going to see Eliath?


Bribes always welcome
Merle Barer wrote:

Assuming dunking her wakes her up If it doesn't just Ignore

"RRRREEEOOOOOWWWWW W-WHAT THE HELLS ARE Y-" she suddenly goes very quite as she sees the glares Karrin and Seph are sending her way "What?"

Merle awakes in a sputtering rush. She feels like a catepillar in a cocoon. As Karrin dunks her in a fountain the rest of the water gatherers cheer and egg Karrin on.

Karrin puts her down. Merle feels numb except for her head, which Moradin has started to use as an anvil


female Tiefling 9th level Duskblade
Dungeon Monkey wrote:
Karrin Kind wrote:
... Karrin stalks off. ...

Karrin begins walking back towards the Butcher's Block.

Are you going to see Eliath?

Yep! He is the package after all :D

Karrin senses Isaac following and slows long enough to grumble.

"I screwed up," she says without looking at him, "I should never have tried for this shadowknave you guys tried to talk me out of it and I didn't listen. This is my fault and I'm sorry."


Male Half-elf (Planar) Ranger 5/Rogue 2/Plane Walker 1
Karrin Kind wrote:
Dungeon Monkey wrote:
Karrin Kind wrote:
... Karrin stalks off. ...

Karrin begins walking back towards the Butcher's Block.

Are you going to see Eliath?

Yep! He is the package after all :D

Karrin senses Isaac following and slows long enough to grumble.

"I screwed up," she says without looking at him, "I should never have tried for this shadowknave you guys tried to talk me out of it and I didn't listen. This is my fault and I'm sorry."

"What? This ain't yer fault, Karrin. Don't blame yerself and definitely don't blame me if someone does somethin' addle coved and has to pay the price for it. Those spivs had nothin' to do with the Illuminated. And I'll tell yeh right now I found us some more darks in the Shadowknave's kip and I can tell ya the Dusties are up to somethin' big in the Hive. That's the only reason I weren't watching when the rest piked off. Merle's fine, hopefully learned her lesson and Swire's out some jink. No need to be too hard on any sod, especially yerself."


Female catfolk sorceror 9

Merle finally pulls herself to her feet wincing slightly where the bolts hit her before beginning to follow behind Karrin and the others


Male Cat

Seph meanwhile transforms back into his cat form gives Merle a glare before running up and jumping onto Karrins shoulder.


female elan Psion (Kineticist) 9

o.O Wow. Apparently I was the only one around here who took Christmas off. ;)

Nari tried to follow the flow of conversation, but there had been so many twists and turns in the plans that she was thoroughly muddled. It happened sometimes when she switched between personalities too often and too quickly. But at least Merle was safe. So it wasn't an utter disaster.

"We can discuss the matter of repayment later," she said, quietly. "And blame if need be. But for right now could we perhaps set these things aside?"


female Tiefling 9th level Duskblade

I was just saying that in the off topic thread lynora!

Karrin trudges on not quite able to let Isaac's words reach her yet. They'd come too close to loosing someone under her watch and despite what Isaac said it was her fault. Members of the Silver Rose were green. Karrin herself was clueless, she knew that, but she'd been blessed with Tiefling guile and while she didn't always know how things worked she was extremely good at faking it. Some of the others were in constant danger.

If there was some off time after this mission Karrin would make sure Renkar's little troop never made such stupid mental errors again. There would be a boot camp for her fellow clueless. There would be refresher courses and trust building exercises for the old guard. There wouldn't be any more mistakes. Karrin would see the green drilled out of them . . . even if it killed them!

Don't worry folks! Karrin does have a short attention span but this will probably reinforce her desires to teach Merle, Beth, and Nari the ropes.

PS I ate like Karrin today. Well, like a full Karrin anyways. I love the holidays :)


Bribes always welcome

Happy post-holiday torpor to you all!

The group reconvenes and heads out to the Lower Ward. Passing by the Butcher's Block they head up Two Lamp Lane towards Lot's Lane and the Gatehouse Night Market.

The Peaklight has been fading steadily as the group dealt with the various challenges of the Hive. Now a crowd of Hivers, ragged and flashy alike, walk towards the stalls of the huge open-air marketplace. The group is approached by several entrepeneurs as they walk:

"Fancy a good leather belt, cutter?"

"Daggers? Fine tempered steel, all makes and models!"

"Maromsets, parrots, Rainbow birds! Exotic pets!"

The ragged vendors thin out as the group gets to Lot's Lane. They pass the Bottle & Jug tavern, where several of the party had encountered the gang of toughs and the spellslinger they assume was Shadowknave. The market is filling up for the Antipeak ahead, and the party is assualted by the smells and sights of hundreds of stalls.

Passing through the Night Market, the party enters the Goatswood District, home of some of the darker sylvan-based Hivers. A hobbling crutched satyr begs for alms on one corner, while a bored-looking green-haired bint dressed in a short dress of leaves watches the crowd with hooded ancient eyes.

Radagast Street leads the group out of Goatswood and towards the Seafarer's Arch, one of the several bridges that span the turgid waters of the Ditch. They pass the Keelhaul Tavern, the rickety wooden building shaking from some off-key shantys being sung at top decibel inside.

Crossing the Seafarer's Arch, the group mingles with the crush of people headed out of the Hive for the antipeak. The bridge is carved in a nautical theme: Fish, serpents, octopi and sailors adorn the arches and buttresses. Like all Ditch bridges, this one is thronged by young fisherman trying their luck for a mudfish to eat.

Seafarer's Arch deposits the group into the Lower Ward, specifically the Shattered Temple District. The immense ruins of the Temple of Aoskar loom above this crumbling district like a carrion crow-picked corpse. Athar factioneers congregate and mutter among themselves. A few cast a peery eye at Ekuur, perhaps sensing his fanatic devotion to his element.

Dis Road threads through the district, passing casket makers, cut-rate smities, and pawn shops. The Defiers are a proud stiff-backed bunch, but taking a stand against the powers has made their path harder than most.

Dis Road segues to Forgotten Lane, the Athar's stronghold falling to their back. This road is more mercantile, with various smithies and custom armorers lining the streets. A bookshop called the Parted Veil stands out from the various metalworking shops, a well-scrubbed and cheery-looking place. A large circular glass window displays stacks and stacks of manuscripts in all shapes, sizes, and conditions. Several other circular windows above the main one give the bookshop an almost clockwork look to its exterior. A few blocks down Justin sees an intersting store: Cinder's Magic Shoppe. The glass window displays all sorts of magical gimcrackery.

Cutting Spikeward from Anvil Square, the group enters Issac's home turf, the Foundry District. The air clouds with acrid smoke and the sound of hammers striking metal fill the air. They turn onto Alehouse Row and the black-sailed stranded galleon that forms the bulk of the Black Sail Tavern soon looms out of the fog.

Actions?


Male Human (Athasian) Cleric 9

Question, due to my partial ignorance of the factions - are the Athar against the worship of anything? In other words, would Ekuur, who follows an elemental force, be looked at differently than someone who followed a specific Power? I had kind of made the assumption that of all the factions, Ekuur might actually be closest to the Athar with his own disbelief in actual 'gods' ...


Bribes always welcome
Ekuur wrote:
Question, due to my partial ignorance of the factions - are the Athar against the worship of anything? In other words, would Ekuur, who follows an elemental force, be looked at differently than someone who followed a specific Power? I had kind of made the assumption that of all the factions, Ekuur might actually be closest to the Athar with his own disbelief in actual 'gods' ...

The Defiers stand against any veneration, even towards the mysterious Unknown Other that grants divine power to Athar clerics. They would probably feel less bitter to Ekuur since he worships an element rather than an actual antropomorphic 'power'. They do feel that anyone who worships a specific being or thing is missing the point and furthering the multiverse-spanning con game that the 'powers' are somehow above other beings. They acknowledge that the 'powers' are indeed powerful, but they contend that they aren't 'divine' in the accepted sense. They would probably snicker that Ekuur worships fire, perhaps pointing to a fireplace and telling him to 'get busy' praying.


Male Half-elf (Planar) Ranger 5/Rogue 2/Plane Walker 1

"What's the plan, cutters? One o' you ladies asking him to come to the Cauldron to spring the ol' intervention rap?"


female Tiefling 9th level Duskblade

"Nari, Merle and I stumbled across him before," Karrin says, "it would be best if we make contact first, but everyone be wary, that list of names is circulating and it's only a matter of time before someone in these doom boys stumble across Eliath's name. There could be trouble and I mean to finish this even if I have to cut a swath through every doom boy from here back to the Silver Rose."

Karrin almost sounds anxious to do that, then again she's never liked that faction, and having an excuse to mash on a few would practically be welcomed by Karrin. Especially after the frustrations earlier in the afternoon.

"As too what we say?" Karrin shrugs, "The gig is up and I see no reason to lie to him. If he comes willingly good, if not, well, we'll take him in either way. We'll be saving his life getting him away from this lot."


Female Avian Harpy Avian Harpy 4 Bard (Arcane Duelist) 2

Bethany follows the others from the air, happy to be up after her trip into the slams to get Merle back. She keeps glancing down at her with a slight smirk on her face ever time she thinks about the incident.
She lands next to the others outside The Black Sail, commenting after Karrin that the direct approach would probably be best.
"Tell him that we've killed Toranna and that we will protect him from any stargglers left behind after the collapse of The Illuminated. He should see reason, he's supposedly a smart man."


female Tiefling 9th level Duskblade

"I don't think he's someone in the know Bethany," Karrin says, "I doubt he knows Toranna's name. I suspect he was duped like the others. Getting him out shouldn't be a problem."

Karrin looks for any objections before heading in and asking around for their "package".


Bribes always welcome
Karrin Kind wrote:
Karrin looks for any objections before heading in and asking around for their "package".

Karrin walks into the dim inn and sees Eliath straight off. He is dining alone in a corner, perusing what looks to be some book. The common area is filled with Doomguard namers and a few of the local smiths and merchants.


M Human Witchblade 6{Hexblade 1/Warlock 5(favored)

Like Bethany, Drazek seems amused by Merle's "incident". He quietly follows along occupied by his thoughts.


female Tiefling 9th level Duskblade

Karrin walks over to Eliath and quickly joins him before he can object.

"Hello Eliath," Karrin says with a smile, "sorry it intrude but we don't have a lot of time."

Karrin leans forward and lowers her voice, "Please listen to me. This is extremely important: the other day we didn't accidentally stumble into you, and I'm sorry for the deception, but your former employer was worried about you and asked for us to find you. We needed to make sure you were safe, we had reports of your death and we needed to know what happened to you before we dared try to help you, and we found out about the citadel fire, the mortuary, and we now know what happened to you, and we can help . . . but, and this is the important part Eliath, people found out, we couldn't keep this information under wraps sadly, and that information is spreading through the cage like a plague. These other Doomguard here are going to find out that you were sent to join them and, knowing these bums, they aren't going to care if it was against your will or not. We got to get you out of here. Stay calm and we'll just leave like we're going for a walk. Anyone asks where you're going say someone you know is sick and dying and you need to give your last respects or spit in their face or whatever. We got friends outside so if things get ugly we can protect you but we need to go now."


Bribes always welcome
Karrin Kind wrote:
... We got friends outside so if things get ugly we can protect you but we need to go now."

The curly-headed man looks more and more horrified as Karrin talks. He especially looks alarmed when she mentions the Doomguard finding out.

"W-W-Why don't we take a walk towards the Temple District." He stutters.

Eliath stands and puts his cloak on. He walks to the door with Karrin, looking most uncomfortable.

OK, I am assuming that you all start walking back towards the Lady's Ward to get a little space from the Doomguard ...

Eliath walks close to Karrin. He smiles thinly at Nari when he sees her. He takes in the rest of the party with a nod.

"We can talk safe when we get to Bloodgem Park," He whispers

Taking the party down Smith Street to Doomguard Walk, Eliath leads them into the ornate manicured grounds of Bloodgem Park. One of the few public parks in Sigil, it lies athwart the Lower Ward and the Lady's Ward. Various cobbled paths snake through topiaries kept up by local temple congregants. The park's periphery is flanked with temples of various nature deities.

Eliath finds a quiet spot and faces the group.

"I have a feeling by what you said I've been a berk of the first water."

He breathes in and continues

"I was driven crazy by a curse, and I was lost in the Hive. I awoke and I thought I had died, and that my soul had gone to the House of Knowledge in Tir Na Og. Oghma spoke to me, said I had been unworthy but that he was resurrecting me, curing my madness and sending me back to the Cage on a holy mission to discover all I could about the Doomguard, so that the forces of good could counteract them."

He looks furtive.

"If the Doomguard think I've gone stag on them I'm penned in the dead book for sure!"


female Tiefling 9th level Duskblade

"It was all a trick we figure," Karrin says, trying to reassure the wayward sage, "we weren't sure about the insanity or the curse, but everything else we figured out. We know now that you weren't really killed, therefor you weren't really resurrected, and that most certainly wasn't Oghma who gave you that insane mission. They were a group trying to establish themselves as another faction by infiltrating other factions and gaining their secrets. They have lots of others, they all have varying degrees of knowledge, but most we think are like you: expendable ferrets. Things will go to pieces before the fall back together but I think the Doomguard, being the predictable idiots that they are, will soon have enough problems sorting out who's alive and who's dead, never mind who's betrayed them and who's jumped ship."

Karrin sighs.

"I'm sorry you got caught up in this Eliath, but fact of the matter is you already were penned in the deadbook once, and perhaps we can use that to our advantage. I mean who's to say you weren't a shape shifter or something? Lots a ways to fool folks I always found. Some people want to be fooled. Father always told me that it wasn't nice but sometimes it's easier being fooled then facing reality. Anyways I think you're going to need to lay low for a bit. Those doom dopes are likely going to be looking for you regardless but seeing as you spent most of your life looking through books I doubt they'll know much about your true identity."


Female catfolk sorceror 9

Merle trudges near the back of the group still dripping wet muttering things in Feline under her breath, secretly hoping for a chance to swipe the smirk off of the oversized Turkey's face and as for little miss half-fiend...... Her thought are cut off as she notices Seph glaring at her with a look that seems to say Grow up.Merle suddenly finds the floor very fascinating and spends most of the rest of the journey staring at that.


Male Half-elf (Planar) Ranger 5/Rogue 2/Plane Walker 1

Isaac hands Eliath the statue head.
"Here ye are, cutter. A piece o' Tir na Og fer yer sittin' room."
Realizing he's been insensitive, a chagrined Isaac rubs the back of his neck.
"Sorry, mate. Been a rough Peak all around. Y'know, I reckon none o' us bloods gathered here can really help ye enough, but our boss Renkar's a top-shelf blood and he's got a fine brainbox fer faction politics. If ye want to take a walk with us, cutter, I bet havin' a word with him'll set ye right. Or at least get ye started."


female elan Psion (Kineticist) 9

Nari gently massaged her temples, trying to ease the massive headache she had developed. Her psicrystal was feeling sullen and cranky, unhappy with her standing back and letting others take the lead, and its stream of complaints was like a constant irritating whine inside her head.

"Let us help you," she said quietly. "There's no point in being prideful about it. Anyone could have been taken in, and many were. They specifically chose those whose minds were already susceptible, and who were suffering from easily curable afflictions, not any of us hopeless cases," she added with a humorless smile. "They planned carefully and put on a truly remarkable show. Nevertheless, they are scattered or dead now, and it would be better if you did not end up being penned in the dead book a second time. If you would please be so kind as to accompany us back to the Silver Rose? I'm sure that all of this can be sorted in such a manner as leaves you free to continue your scholarly pursuits among the land of the living."

This uncharacteristically long speech was about as much as her shy nature could handle, and would hopefully be enough to appease that accursed chunk of rock. She went back to carefully studying the ground near her feet while standing as much behind Karrin as could be managed.


Bribes always welcome
Karrin Kind wrote:
.." Those doom dopes are likely going to be looking for you regardless but seeing as you spent most of your life looking through books I doubt they'll know much about your true identity."

Eliath sighs

"Well, I did come up with a story that I was Clueless, and a recent emigrant from Toril, so perhaps I can just fade back into my old life. The Cage is a big place, and I can disguise my identity a bit and get back to research. Maybe."


Bribes always welcome
Merle Barer wrote:
Merle trudges near the back of the group still dripping wet muttering things in Feline under her breath, secretly hoping for a chance to swipe the smirk off of the oversized Turkey's face and as for little miss half-fiend...... Her thought are cut off as she notices Seph glaring at her with a look that seems to say Grow up.Merle suddenly finds the floor very fascinating and spends most of the rest of the journey staring at that.

Oversized Turkey ... LMFAO

Merle is achingly tired and feels like she drank a whole keg of some nasty Hive-brewed shine. Her normally fluid motions are jerky and her limbs don't want to work correctly. Everyone's voice sounds exaggerated and echoey, and the crowd noises and foundry clangs grate on her frayed nerves. The walk to Bloodgem Park from Allesha's Pantry has drained her, and she wants nothing more than a bowl of cream and a warm bed to curl up in.


Bribes always welcome
Isaac wrote:

Isaac hands Eliath the statue head.

"Here ye are, cutter. A piece o' Tir na Og fer yer sittin' room."
Realizing he's been insensitive, a chagrined Isaac rubs the back of his neck.
"Sorry, mate. Been a rough Peak all around. Y'know, I reckon none o' us bloods gathered here can really help ye enough, but our boss Renkar's a top-shelf blood and he's got a fine brainbox fer faction politics. If ye want to take a walk with us, cutter, I bet havin' a word with him'll set ye right. Or at least get ye started."

Eliath stares at the noseless statuary head.

"Was this in the temple? Yes, of course, it was all props and barmy barkle."

He hands it back to Issac

"Let's go talk to your boss then. I got nothing else now."


Bribes always welcome
Naridre Ro'Arisahshe wrote:

"Let us help you," she said quietly. "There's no point in being prideful about it. Anyone could have been taken in, and many were. They specifically chose those whose minds were already susceptible, and who were suffering from easily curable afflictions, not any of us hopeless cases," she added with a humorless smile. "They planned carefully and put on a truly remarkable show. Nevertheless, they are scattered or dead now, and it would be better if you did not end up being penned in the dead book a second time. If you would please be so kind as to accompany us back to the Silver Rose? I'm sure that all of this can be sorted in such a manner as leaves you free to continue your scholarly pursuits among the land of the living."

Eliath smiles at Nari

"Thank you for that Lady Naridre, but I feel a berk. Barmy or no, I can't help but feel like the biggest berk in all the Cage. And me a researcher on all things Planar! Damn that leatherheaded codex and its curse."

He looks to the slender elf

"I'll go with yeh lot to talk to this boss of yours."


Bribes always welcome

OK, moving on to the Silver Rose...

The group walks through the Temple District as the Peaklight fades to dark. Crowds of worshippers throng the roads, along with the cart merchants selling various religious-themed items to them. The barker-chants of the vendors war with the voices of the faithful.

"Exotic oils! Candles of all quality! Perfect for devotional sacrifices!"

"Come worship Kos of the North! Bow before He Who Rules the Ice!"

"Spirit money! Wax coins, Paper bills! Show your devotion and be rewarded in the afterlife!"

"Jaleesa of the Bells! Come to our temple and learn the mysteries of the Goddess of Dance! Our priestesses will put on a display you won't soon forget!"

The party passes by an odd thatched-roof temple with carven wooden pillars. Topless priestesses in grass skirts dance on the portico while large-muscled loinclothed men with full-body tattoos whirl flaming torches about. They chant in some strange tongue.

"Nilhouli amiki fersha DAJOBAS!

Melliki kellhoi amboo DAJOBAS!"

The chanting sounds rather sinister, so the party hurries on. They pass the massive pagoda tower of the power Shang-Ti, then the more homey-looking round temple of Garl Glittergold.

They reach Petitioner's Square, the domain of the Mercykillers. The great gallows with its thirteen nooses sits brooding at one side of the square, every noose currently occupied. Huge black Cage Ravens squabble over the tender bits. Several iron cages swing on tall poles, the occupants inside too emaciated to cry out. The party hurredly departs this guignol scene and heads to Greytowers.

The orderly streets of this district are a relief after the horror scenes of Petitioner's Square. It is hard to believe that they are flip sides of the same coin. Off-duty Hardheads and Mercykillers play ball with their children on the scrubbed cobbles. A few give the party the staredown, but none approach them.

The homes of Greytowers increase in size and grandness as the party travels further into the Lady's Ward. At the end of the district is Hangman's Court, where paradoxically no hangings are done. Rather, the high-up functionaries of Sigil keep their kip here: Guvner judges, Hardhead Movers, Mercykiller justicars and the like. Karrin and Merle recall that Sly Nye bought Swift a home somewhere in the area.

Moving into the Nobles' District, the houses grow ever larger and farther from the street. High walls of marble and porphyry begin to shield these mansions from view. The streets are filled with servants and cart sellers all dickering on price. Squads of Dabus tend to the streets: Fixing cobbles, trimming the ubiquitous razorvine, and sweeping trash into the wide sewer grates. Their heads are wrapped in the odd rebus picture language they use to communicate with. The occasional lavish coach clatters down the wide streets, the draft animals anything from Arcadian ponies to small hariy elephants.

The party passes through the Plague Monument Plaza passing the Hardhead favorite, The Square Bar. Several Hardheads, both on and off duty, linger by the roofed portico of the tavern. At the other end of the plaza is the beginning of Copperman's Way.

The high-end shops catering to the Noble's District give way to the familiar work-a-day shops of the Market Ward. Copperman's Way is crowded, even more than usual as the onset of antipeak brings a change in shift for many merchants. Tired peak workers trudge home while antipeak workers blink yawning in line at the kava merchant's cart. The smell of roasting kava beans scents the air with their distinctive aroma.

Copper Court finally swims into view. The Copper Cauldon looks busy, so the party decides to head for the Silver Rose first. They find Renkar and Hanali there, going over some papers. They look up as the party enters.

"Good Antipeak to you! " Renkar calls out

He looks at Eliath

"Would this be the cutter we've been looking for?"


Female catfolk sorceror 9

Merle still dripping wet just stands about looking bleary eyed not really following any of the conversation at all. She felt so tired but she couldn't just walk off that would be unprofessional.

6,151 to 6,200 of 12,225 << first < prev | 119 | 120 | 121 | 122 | 123 | 124 | 125 | 126 | 127 | 128 | 129 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Chronicles of the Silver Rose Company All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.