Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Starfinder


Pathfinder Society


Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Paizo.com Gift Certificates
On Sale and Clearance!

Chronicles of Arcania: B/X Homebrew game.

Game Master Peet

Lost in the desert! The party gets separated from a desert caravan during a sandstorm. Parched and starving, they stumble on a ruined city in the middle of the desert. The pyramid at the center of the city seems mostly intact, and they find a secret door leading inside...

Tier 1 Map | Tier 2 Map | Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Map | Party Loot Spreadsheet


1 to 50 of 3,446 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Map | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |

Thread now open.

Guys, I'm guessing we will start in a two or three of days. Need to get a few ducks in a row here, and then make sure all characters are good to go.

As I mentioned, you have all hired on as guards of various types for a merchant caravan. This caravan is headed west from the City of Akesoli in the Republic of Darokin.

If you want, before the "official" opening of the game you could do some RP here... imagine you are sitting around a campfire after having driven off a mounted orc attack on the caravan (the orcs around here often ride horses or other creatures). The attack took place on the Plains of Drentara, perhaps a week after leaving Akesoli.


Female Cleric 1 | HP 11/11 (+5 Temp HP) | AC 6 | F+5, A+4, C+6, D +4, H +9, W +6 | Detect Evil 1 in 6 | Move: 30ft.

Dotting


Female Elf 2 HP 12/15 || AC 3 || F13 A12 C14 D15 H11 W13 || Mv 15' || Infravision 60' || THAC0 19 (bow or sword)/15 (battleaxe/two-hand sword) || Find secret doors/hear noise/detect magic 2 in 6

Anastoria takes a bite from her rations, chewing it slowly and deliberately. She looks around the fire at her companions and says, "My name is Anastoria, though if that proves too difficult for you, please call me Ana. I would know who I adventure with, if you please?" Her voice is light and lilting, and she speaks with a heavy accent.


Male Dwarven Veteran (Level 2) hp 21/27  || AC 3 || F11 A15 C12 D13 H6 W8 || THAC0 18 || Mv 20' || Infravision 60'

Ferrous finishes taking a drink from his waterskin. He closes the skin tightly knowing how precious and rare water will be in the coming days. Ana finally we share a fire. I am Ferrous third born son of house Grimgond of Rockhome. With the numerous guards on this caravan Ferrous had not yet met all the guards personally. Of course there were a few he would now never meet having fallen in the Orc raider attack earlier that night. You fought well tonight Ana. Ferrous says begrudgingly, high praise of elf from a dwarf. That goes for the rest of you as well. Ferrous addresses the other guards around the fire, some whom he meet on earlier nights others strangers like Ana who he would share the journey with across the desert. Digging his knuckles into his back, he takes a seat stretching his short legs out towards the flame his chain mail glinting in the flames. Next to the dwarf lay a backpack, a wooden shield painted with the Grimgond coat of arms, and a hand axe.


Male Human Fighter 1

A trifle unsteady, a heavyset mercenary shambles over to the fire and plops himself down. He takes a long draught from a large clay jug.

"Aye, we did well today. Sent them runnin', we did. We did all right. *Hic*"

"A'course, that was only a probe. A test, if you will. They'll likely be back, in bigger numbers. They won't follow us too far out into the desert, but if their numbers are good they'll have one more crack at us while we're still on the plain, now that they know where we are."

"They'll either come at us full-on, or they'll ...*Hic*... try and threaten us into paying a toll. If they do that, the caravan master will pay it, prob'ly. Not that he's a coward... just practical. The Yaznids'll only ask for a bribe though if they think we're too tough a nut to crack. If they think they can take us easy, they'll fight. But it never goes the way they plan... well, almost never."

"We'll lose a few if they come at us, but this train'll make it through even that. I've done this run three times already, *Hic* and we made it through each time. So don't worry! Have a drink. I'm Bruno, by the way."

Bruno gives you all a big grin and passes his jug of wine to the nearest person.


1 person marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Thief 2; HP-13 (=5), AC-4, MV-30', F-16, A-13, C-17, D-13, H-13, W-14

Montague sits silently by the fire, picking at his food, his teeth, and the ground absently with his dagger. He twirls it around every now and then ingraining it's feel into muscle memory. He stands up to poke at the fire a bit, and mumbles under his breath on his return.

"Montague... My friends call me Montague".


Female Elf 2 HP 12/15 || AC 3 || F13 A12 C14 D15 H11 W13 || Mv 15' || Infravision 60' || THAC0 19 (bow or sword)/15 (battleaxe/two-hand sword) || Find secret doors/hear noise/detect magic 2 in 6

Ana runs a whetstone across the blade of her battleaxe. It is an unusual sight to see a slight elven maiden using such a weapon, but the ease with which she wielded it earlier leaves no doubt as to her ability. "Should they come... we'll be ready," she remarks grimly.


Female Cleric 1 | HP 11/11 (+5 Temp HP) | AC 6 | F+5, A+4, C+6, D +4, H +9, W +6 | Detect Evil 1 in 6 | Move: 30ft.

Thylla listens to the campfire banter and smiles as she wipes the last traces of orc brain matter from the iron head of maul.

The tall cleric utters a haughty laugh at the prospect of more combat;

"Hah! Let them come! The gods shine on us my friends and we offer them guts and glory aplenty..."

She looks the others with fervent look in her eyes;

"I am Thylla Vistorix... Of the Great Empire of Thyatis, where I earned the name "The Lioness of Lucinius". Any foe we face will learn to fear who I am and from whence I hail!"


Alphatian 2 | 11/12 hp | AC 8 | F16 A11 C15 D15 H12 W13 | Mv 40' | Detect/Read Magic 2-6
Spells:
Cantrip (3-6) | Sleep, Sleep, Binding

Zynazyr looks up from his spellbook. "They will come again you say? I have some more studying to do then. I think it helped I was able to put a few of them to sleep. Makes for easy targets. I appreciate all of you keeping them away from me. As you can see, I don't have much protection." he says pointing to his clothes. "I am known as Zynazyr."


Male Dwarven Veteran (Level 2) hp 21/27  || AC 3 || F11 A15 C12 D13 H6 W8 || THAC0 18 || Mv 20' || Infravision 60'

Bah!Ferrous spits into the fire Smelly Orcs can come all they want and we'll smash 'em again and again. Am I right fellows?
He says looking around at the faces gathered by the fire there was not a sign of fear among the group. Not waiting for an answer to bites into his ration and takes a hearty sip of Bruno's wineskin.


Male Human Fighter 1

"Smash em?" Bruno looks about as this is a great joke. "Hah! Smash em indeed! We certainly will! I swear by Bacchus, this trail is paved with orc bones."

Bruno looks expectantly as the wine jug gets passed around, clearly hoping some will be left when he gets it again.

"But always remember this: don't *hic* let them draw you away from the caravan. We don't give chase. If you head out on your own, you could be swarmed, and picked off."

"Besides, if we let the ones that run live, we train them to be cowards. Hah! It's like a *hic* breeding program for wimpy orcs!"

Bruno eagerly accepts the jug back, and seems overjoyed that there is some wine left.

"One day, we should come in force, and sweep the orcs from this miserable plain. But the problem is, nobody else wants this land; it's just miles and miles of dry grass."

"And don't worry, my wizardly friend. We all know what our job is and nobody expects ...*hic*... you to go rushing down there with a sword in your hand. The caravan master is always sure to hire a good number of magicians - it gives us an edge the orcs don't have a counter to. They do have their witch doctors... but not *hic* many."


2 people marked this as a favorite.
Male Human Thief 2; HP-13 (=5), AC-4, MV-30', F-16, A-13, C-17, D-13, H-13, W-14

Montague listens to all the tales of false bravado with a roll of his eyes. To hear everyone else speak, death or killing was some glorious task filled with shouts of wonder, and glee. He knew better. He'd killed, up close and personal. Felt the blood of his foe splash forth hot and smelling of copper. There was no glory in killing, only survival... but that was enough. And some things needed killing.


Female Cleric 1 | HP 11/11 (+5 Temp HP) | AC 6 | F+5, A+4, C+6, D +4, H +9, W +6 | Detect Evil 1 in 6 | Move: 30ft.

Thylla takes a deep draught of the wine jug as it passes, savouring its taste as they celebrate repelling the orc sortie.

"Their savage faith may stir their sour blood friend Bruno, but the swing of the hammer and sallying in the midst of battle are worship to this daughter of Thyatis!"

The amazonian priest grins as she passes the wine on, and pats Zynazyr solidly upon the shoulder;

"Feh! You Alphatian's always fret too much... Look around you at this group; would you wager any orc breaching our ranks!"

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Map | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |

The boasting and talespinning and friendly advice continues into the cool prairie night. Tonight you are glad for a fire and once on the desert it will soon get colder at night. The next day you continue your journey across the dry plains to the west...

Formal Adventure Intro:
Days ago, your group of adventurers joined a desert caravan. Halfway across the desert, a terrible sandstorm struck, separating your party from the rest of the caravan. When the storm died down, you found you were alone. The caravan was nowhere in sight. The desert was unrecognizable, as the dunes had been blown into new patterns. You were lost.

You headed southwest, the same way the caravan was headed before the storm. Days passed. Your mounts died and you soon drank the last of your water. The end of the desert was nowhere in sight.

The first evening after your water ran out, you stumbled upon a number of stone blocks sticking out of a sand dune. Investigation showed that the sand covered the remains of a ruined building. Other stone blocks were scattered around the plain, indicating that this was once a town of some sort. Sand had covered most of the buildings. The stones that remained uncovered had been scoured smooth by the blowing sands. At the center on a small rise stood a large stone building that seemed mostly intact.

The building seemed to be some sort of temple or shrine. Three wings of the building met at a central rotunda. The rotunda once had a dome above it but the dome has collapsed and stones lay all about. The three wings are in better shape; though the frescoes on the walls have been defaced and scraped off, you can see the faded remains of murals on the ceilings. To the north the mural shows stormclouds. To the southwest the mural shows a clear sky with a few white clouds, while to the southeast the mural shows a starry night sky.

A thorough search of the ruins revealed no sign of water or food. But the temple seemed sturdy enough to offer shelter for you to make camp. Over the night, you have troubling dreams...

Status: Everyone can cross off their rations; you have used them up. I insisted that everyone get one week of rations but not more to ensure that people wouldn't "waste" their money on extra food which would have been used up before the game started.

The Site: you have searched your current locale thoroughly and if there is anything of use here aside from shelter it is beyond your means to discover. But it does seem like you have discovered signs of an ancient civilization and there may be more of it around.

The Group: It is not you alone... there are a half-dozen NPCs who are lost with you. This group represents a "pool" from which further characters can come from if anyone dies or new characters join the game. They will not enter the dungeon (unless the party really needs a specific class and doesn't have one).

Dreams: I am sending each of you a PM containing a "dream sequence." Please read it, and then delete it. After that you can discuss it in-character if you like.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!


Male Dwarven Veteran (Level 2) hp 21/27  || AC 3 || F11 A15 C12 D13 H6 W8 || THAC0 18 || Mv 20' || Infravision 60'

Ferrous wakes with a jerk and croaks hoarsly [b]rain wondrous rain. [/rain] Reluctantly Ferrous wipes the sleep from his eyes and stands up. He takes a walk around the rotunda inspecting the old stone work again. Admiring the murals and the small details of decorative work in the stone walls. He leaves the deteriorating structure walking through the Southeast wing. He looks off into distant South and East of the desert night sky.

OOC:

stonework: 1d6 ⇒ 1
Just to see if he can gather any new information from the rotunda's construction such as Era when built by type of stone. Locations where the stone is known to be quarried. And other such information. Ferrous is attempting to determine if the hill from his dream exists in the waking world as well.

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Map | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |

Ferrous:
You have never been in a desert before, but the stone looks quite worn to you, and you estimate that these ruins have been abandoned for at least 500 years, perhaps as much as a thousand. Whoever built it was well-versed in stonework and you can tell from the rubble that they used round arches in the construction of the entrances to the structure. The buildings are composed mostly of limestone with some other more decorative types of stone here and there. Limestone is fairly common so the stone may be local.

Looking out to the east, you can make out something on the horizon to the east, though in the haze it is hard to tell what it is. To the south you see nothing but desert.


Female Elf 2 HP 12/15 || AC 3 || F13 A12 C14 D15 H11 W13 || Mv 15' || Infravision 60' || THAC0 19 (bow or sword)/15 (battleaxe/two-hand sword) || Find secret doors/hear noise/detect magic 2 in 6

Anastoria snaps awake. Fleeting images, fragments of a dream flash through her mind. Just a dream, she tells herself. She lifts her waterskin to her parched lips, fruitlessly hoping for even a few precious drops.


Female Cleric 1 | HP 11/11 (+5 Temp HP) | AC 6 | F+5, A+4, C+6, D +4, H +9, W +6 | Detect Evil 1 in 6 | Move: 30ft.

Thylla awakes bleary eyed and looks to the sky above mulling dreams and the messages they may bring...

The amazonian priest lifts her wineskin to parched lips and wrings from it the last few drops of cheap warrior's liquor.

"Damned heat..."

Thylla shoulders her maul and walks toward Ferrous;

"Your dwarven eyes see anything hidden friend?"


Male Human Fighter 3 hp 10/17, 2NL || AC -1 || F11 A15 C15 D10 H12 W12 || Mv 30'

Shakes his head as he wakes. His first thought is to check for his sword, then his shield. Thankfully both are in reach, with that he rises and slings his backpack over his shoulder knowing full well that it is lighter without the rations, and an empty waterskin.

He joins the dwarf as he studies the ruins. Shrugging his shoulders, obviously not appreciating the view as much as the dwarf, he says "I'm going to check outside for signs of a well, or such. After all, where there was life there had to be water.

Wandering off, he removes his sword and scabbard from his sword belt and begins a circle outward journey from the center of the ruins, poking with the scabbard into any dunes, built up sand, etc.

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Map | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |
Fistep wrote:
Wandering off, he removes his sword and scabbard from his sword belt and begins a circle outward journey from the center of the ruins, poking with the scabbard into any dunes, built up sand, etc.
Lost City DM wrote:
The Site: you have searched your current locale thoroughly and if there is anything of use here aside from shelter it is beyond your means to discover....

You search the area around the structure once again, but your search is as fruitless as the one you made before making camp.

The few scrubby plants in the area are too dry and thorny to get any food or moisture out of, though they do make decent kindling.


Male Human Fighter 1

Bruno gets up with a groan, and clutches his head.

"Ohhh... this 's got to be the worst hangover I've 'ad in years. Which is totally unfair seein' as I didn't 'ave a drop to drink last night."

He rubs his face and tries to shake himself awake, only this seems to irritate his headache further. "Argh. Weird dreams, wot? Thought it was rainin'. Must 'ave been wishful thinkin'."


Male Human Fighter 3 hp 10/17, 2NL || AC -1 || F11 A15 C15 D10 H12 W12 || Mv 30'

Shrugs his shoulders. "Not worth staying here since there isn't any obvious water." he grumbles. Rubbing his chin for a bit obviously in some thought, "What about heading east from here where those lightning bolts hit in the dream?" Pausing before he continues, "There may be water there."

He looks around at the others, gauging their reactions, prior to moving off to the eastern end of the current locale.


Male Dwarven Veteran (Level 2) hp 21/27  || AC 3 || F11 A15 C12 D13 H6 W8 || THAC0 18 || Mv 20' || Infravision 60'
Thylla Vistorix wrote:


"Your dwarven eyes see anything hidden friend?"

The dwarf slaps a nearby support column. Thylla surely there is nothing hidden here. The beauty of this ancient structure is visible to all. I can tell you that this is all very old construction probably between 500-1000 years. Ferrous looks around him admiring the classic stonework.

Unfortunately that does nothing for our current situation. One can't eat stones no matter how wondrously they are arranged. the dwarf's stomach growled in agreement.

Fistep wrote:
"What about heading east from here where those lightning bolts hit in the dream?"

Warrior do you mean to tell me you also had a dream of a storm and lighting? I too just woke from a strange dream involving a hill to the East.


Male Human Fighter 3 hp 10/17, 2NL || AC -1 || F11 A15 C15 D10 H12 W12 || Mv 30'

Looks back at the dwarf and nods, "Aye good dwarf, that I did." Sounds like maybe our friend over here did too, gesturing to the fat fighter. He shrugs again turning to look back east, "There is not much here, so better to be on the move than sit til we shrivel up with thirst."


Male Human Thief 2; HP-13 (=5), AC-4, MV-30', F-16, A-13, C-17, D-13, H-13, W-14

Montague silently joins the others looking to the east. "My sleep was also plagued by visions to the east. Shall we see this as an omen, and go that way".

the man's tired eyes, show desperation, as his thirst threatens to bring him down.


Female Elf 2 HP 12/15 || AC 3 || F13 A12 C14 D15 H11 W13 || Mv 15' || Infravision 60' || THAC0 19 (bow or sword)/15 (battleaxe/two-hand sword) || Find secret doors/hear noise/detect magic 2 in 6

The other speak of prophetic dreams also. Should I mention mine? I do not recall specifically the east, but I remember three women.

Ana follows the others, more out of a sense of survival in numbers than curiosity.


Male Dwarven Veteran (Level 2) hp 21/27  || AC 3 || F11 A15 C12 D13 H6 W8 || THAC0 18 || Mv 20' || Infravision 60'

Ferrous senses that the group is all of a single mind but waits for someone to take the first step towards the suddenly ominous East.
Only one way to tell what the East holds. Go there and find out for ourselves.
Ferrous shoves himself away from the support column and starts walking towards the East where the hill was in his dream. His pace is slow and methodical trying to conserve as much energy and moisture in his body as possible. Anyone following would not have a hard time quickly catching up or overtaking the armored dwarf as the rising sun shines off his mail coat.


Alphatian 2 | 11/12 hp | AC 8 | F16 A11 C15 D15 H12 W13 | Mv 40' | Detect/Read Magic 2-6
Spells:
Cantrip (3-6) | Sleep, Sleep, Binding

Zynazyr listens to the others talk about their dreams. "Interesting. I too had a dream about the east but I was visited by some spirits talking about the stars. I saw a shooting star travel towards the east and lit up some sort of mountain or structure at the horizon. There seems to be nothing here for us so we might as well travel to the east in hopes of finding water."

He gathers his things, shaking his waterskin to see if there is anything left by chance, and prepares to travel, covering himself as best he can as protection from the hot sun.


Male Human Fighter 3 hp 10/17, 2NL || AC -1 || F11 A15 C15 D10 H12 W12 || Mv 30'

Joins the dwarf and walks eastward while keeping an eye on the immediate surroundings in case the unexpected occurs.

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Map | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |

PICTURE

Travelling eastwards, after several hours you find more worn stone blocks in the sand. Investigation shows that the sand covers the remains of a tall stone wall. On the other side of the stone wall is a ruined city. As with the smaller town to the west the stones of the city are tumbled and cracked and mostly covered with sand.

In the center of the city towers a step-pyramid. It has several step-like tiers, each 25' high. The bottom-most tiers are almost completely covered with sand. On top of the highest tier are three 30' tall statues. The statue on the left is of a strong, bearded man holding a balance in one hand and a lightning bolt in the other. The middle statue is of a winged child with two snakes twined about its body. The child holds a wand in one hand and a handful of coins in the other. The statue on the right is of a beautiful woman. In her hands she holds a sheaf of wheat and a sword.

To the north of the pyramid are two tall obelisks. One is slightly taller than the pyramid and has strange runes carved into it; the other was once similar but has since collapsed and only a broken stub remains.

On the south side of the pyramid, a ramp with stairs leads from the ground to the top of the highest tier. A quick search of the ruins reveals no source of food or water, so you decide to climb the pyramid. In the side of the ramp, level with the floor of the top tier, you find a secret door...

PICTURE

The slab of stone that hid the secret entrance to the pyramid is now held open by the dead body of a hobgoblin. The body has a large crossbow bolt sunk deep in its torso. The hobgoblin has been dead several weeks.

Ferrous:
The stones here were laid in the same era that the others were.

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Map | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |

Tier 1 Map

The shaded area indicates the bulk of the building. Squares are 5'. I have made the file editable, so you can move your character icons around. Scroll down to see the characters near the bottom. North is at the top of the map.

The squares are also numbered, so if you are unable to move your icon you could just say "move me to 7.12" and someone else can do it for you. Normally I would just assume that you will take the shortest route, but if you want to walk a specific path you can list the squares you are entering, like so: "I move from 10.2 - 10.3 - 11.3 - 12.3." etc.


Male Human Fighter 3 hp 10/17, 2NL || AC -1 || F11 A15 C15 D10 H12 W12 || Mv 30'

Having been pulled by what most of been the hands of the gods up the pyramid steps, and muttering to himself about the heavy handed nature of fate taking decisions from the group, he expressly bends down to examine the hobgoblin corpse looking to see if he has any waterskins, water being the most important thing.

After having searched the corpse, he steps up and lights a torch peering into through the secret door making sure there aren't any traps prior to stepping in.

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Map | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |

A thorough search of the body reveals no waterskin or any other supplies. In fact, the hobgoblin's shoes are missing and there are a couple of leather strips hanging from his belt making it look like a belt pouch was cut away.

The armor and weapon the hobgoblin was carrying are in bad condition, but can be recovered. He is wearing a crude suit of Studded Leather armor (which counts as AC7 thanks to its lower quality) and holds a crude sword (which is a normal sword but will only do 1d6 damage). The crossbow bolt can be removed and is in decent shape.

The party has a quick look over the doorway but nobody discovers any traps.

Pushing the door open a bit, you can see down a hallway that goes 30' before turning to the north. The walls are made of stone blocks but they are cut more roughly than the outside. The ceiling is low, only about 8' high at the middle of the passage, and is barrel vaulted (in that the ceiling is like an arch and the sides curve downwards). At the far end of the passage you can see that there is a 6" hole in the far wall around chest height.


Male Dwarven Veteran (Level 2) hp 21/27  || AC 3 || F11 A15 C12 D13 H6 W8 || THAC0 18 || Mv 20' || Infravision 60'

Ferrous reaches down to the Hobgoblin's corpse plucking out the crossbow bolt. He looks at it briefly before tossing it to Bruno. You use a crossbow, is it any good? Then Ferrous turns to the rest of the party. Well the good news is this hobbie didn't die of thirst. he let's out a hoarse laugh at the macabre joke before stepping through the secret door. The torchlight spreads across the floor of the strange place.


Male Human Fighter 1
Ferrous Grimgond wrote:
Ferrous reaches down to the Hobgoblin's corpse plucking out the crossbow bolt. He looks at it briefly before tossing it to Bruno. You use a crossbow, is it any good? .

Bruno looks like he is melting and is about to faint from the heat. He tries to catch the bolt, but fumbles and drops it. Bending over with a groan he picks the bolt up and starts examining it.

"Nothing wrong with it... it should still be usable. Prolly not made by goblins, actually."

He sits down with a sigh and leans his back against the pyramid wall. "Sorry friends, but all this marching with no water... I am spent. Some of us should go inside to see if there is water inside, but the rest of us can stay here and make a camp in the shade here. We'll be here when you get back."

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Map | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |

10:00 AM, Day 1

The party steps inside the pyramid, slowly letting their eyes adjust to the light. As you enter, you feel a strange sense of confidence, as if you somehow know that what you seek is inside.

Bing! Everyone gets to roll some dice. If your class hit die is 1d4 (Montague and Zynazyr), roll 2d3. If your class hit die is 1d6 (Anastoria and Thyllla), roll 2d3+1. If your class hit die is 1d8 (Ferrous and Fistep), roll 2d3+2.

These are temporary hit points. They are deducted from damage first, and once they are gone they are gone, but they will not expire for any other reason, such as time.

As your eyes adjust to the dimness, you can see that much of the wall ahead around and above the hole is made of loose stones and you believe that they can be removed to reveal some cavity behind.

Guys: unless otherwise stated, I will assume that you are moving carefully, which means you are checking for traps, secret doors, and so on as you move. The party will move 60' per turn this way, which is very slow. Reckless movement is much faster (600' per turn assuming a walk) but you will not have the chance to detect traps and such while moving.

Please establish a marching order.


Male Human Fighter 3 hp 10/17, 2NL || AC -1 || F11 A15 C15 D10 H12 W12 || Mv 30'

moving slow is fine by me.

For marching order...

Thief first followed by elf or dwarf to back up with their nonstandard aight, then me, then squishies, then elf or dwarf and bruno?


Male Human Fighter 3 hp 10/17, 2NL || AC -1 || F11 A15 C15 D10 H12 W12 || Mv 30'

temp: 2d3 + 2 ⇒ (1, 3) + 2 = 6

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Map | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |
Fistep wrote:
Thief first followed by elf or dwarf to back up with their nonstandard aight, then me, then squishies, then elf or dwarf and bruno?

Some things to consider: the hallway is 10' wide and you can march 2 abreast if you like. Montague and Ferrous are the best in the party for finding traps. Also, a human archer positioned behind Ferrous can shoot arrows over Ferrous' head with no penalties for cover.

Also, Fistep has lit a torch. But he will not be able to use a weapon and a shield if he is holding a torch. The logical person to carry the torch would be Zynazyr, who doesn't need both hands free. So I'll assume that is the case unless I hear otherwise.

Bruno will not be entering the dungeon (unless he is taken over by a player later on); it is "player-characters only." Bruno and the other NPCs outside constitute a pool of "replacement characters" in case characters die or drop out of the game; new people that join the party will be assumed to come from this group. The nature of this dungeon would make it very hard to introduce new characters otherwise.


Female Elf 2 HP 12/15 || AC 3 || F13 A12 C14 D15 H11 W13 || Mv 15' || Infravision 60' || THAC0 19 (bow or sword)/15 (battleaxe/two-hand sword) || Find secret doors/hear noise/detect magic 2 in 6

Temp HP: 2d3 + 1 ⇒ (2, 2) + 1 = 5

Ana follows the others inside, letting her elven vision take in the surroundings.


Male Human Thief 2; HP-13 (=5), AC-4, MV-30', F-16, A-13, C-17, D-13, H-13, W-14

2d3 ⇒ (3, 2) = 5 Temporary HP.

Montague is good with helping lead the way. He trusts his instincts to find things... like water quickly.


Male Dwarven Veteran (Level 2) hp 21/27  || AC 3 || F11 A15 C12 D13 H6 W8 || THAC0 18 || Mv 20' || Infravision 60'

OncePartyIsInMarchingOrder:
Ferrous finds himself at the head of the party with the thin man calling himself Montague. He looks towards the end of the corridor where there is a hole in the wall. Ferrous tries to determine from a distance if he's looking at a trap or some sort of decorative shelf. As he gets closer he notices that the stone on the wall doesn't look natural.
See how the stone around this hole is different than the rest of the corridor. Let's see if we can't remove this loose stone and see what it is hiding.
Ferrous cautiously moves towards the hole and glances around the bend in the corridor when approaching. As he moves he keeps his shield before him on a level with the hole in the wall.

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Map | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |
Ferrous Grimgond wrote:
Ferrous cautiously moves towards the hole and glances around the bend in the corridor when approaching. As he moves he keeps his shield before him on a level with the hole in the wall.

I went ahead and put everyone in the marching order that Ferrous suggested. Move people around if you want to make changes.

Around the corner you can see the passage continues to another 20' to the north before the passage ends in a door.

Ahead of you, the stones in the wall come loose easily and it looks like this was done deliberately. Behind them is a niche in which sits a heavy crossbow. A cord coming out of a hole in the wall is tied to the trigger. There is no bolt in the groove and the crossbow has been sprung. You surmise that this is what killed the hobgoblin.

The crossbow sits on a mount aiming it out of the hole but is otherwise not attached and can be removed. It looks old, but thanks to the dry air it seems to be in good shape. If anyone wants a heavy crossbow, help yourself. You currently have 1 quarrel for it (the one pulled out of the hobgoblin).


Alphatian 2 | 11/12 hp | AC 8 | F16 A11 C15 D15 H12 W13 | Mv 40' | Detect/Read Magic 2-6
Spells:
Cantrip (3-6) | Sleep, Sleep, Binding

Temp HP: 2d3 ⇒ (1, 1) = 2 crap. I was hoping my all 1's rolling was over after my gold roll.

"I can hold the torch if you want. I can also cast a light spell in the future so we don't use up the torches," Zynazyr says as he watches the dwarf examine the stone.

Grand Lodge

Male Geek Software Architect/12

Nods his thanks to the magician while handing his torch, "Anything that helps reduce our consumable resources would be helpful, certainly. ". With another holding his torch, he readies his shield and pulls his sword from is scabbard and moves towards the door to stand not too close to Montague. "Find anything Montague? Or do you think its safe, or as safe as its gonna get, to proceed?


Male Dwarven Veteran (Level 2) hp 21/27  || AC 3 || F11 A15 C12 D13 H6 W8 || THAC0 18 || Mv 20' || Infravision 60'

Ferrous removes the heavy crossbow from the wall and places it inside his backpack wishing he had the bolt he just gave to Bruno.
I'll carry this unless anyone else wants to use it. I don't see anyone with a light crossbow that they would want to upgrade.
After securing the crossbow Ferrous joins Montague by the door.
Is it locked? Have you found any traps?

OOC Questions:

Which way was the Hobgoblin faces in relation to the bolt? Did the bolt strike him in front so as he was entering or in the back as he was leaving this place? Is there a way to notice if there are signs of recent passage in the torchlight?
What is the construction of the door stone or wood?


Female Cleric 1 | HP 11/11 (+5 Temp HP) | AC 6 | F+5, A+4, C+6, D +4, H +9, W +6 | Detect Evil 1 in 6 | Move: 30ft.

Temp HP: 2d3 ⇒ (1, 3) = 4

Thylla strides alongside the much shorter Ana, making small talk on their choice of 2 handed weaponry and the like.

When the group stops at the door, the tall priestess smiles and winks at Ana;

"If you need a strong woman to break down that boys - myself or Mistress Anastoria here are more than up for the task! Hah!"

Dark Archive

Tier 3 Map | Tier 4 Map | Tactical Map | Party Loot Spreadsheet | Party Thirst: 0. Party Hunger: 0.5 |
Ferrous Grimgond wrote:

After securing the crossbow Ferrous joins Montague by the door.

Is it locked? Have you found any traps?

The door is a heavily-built wooden door. You are confident that the party could knock it down, but not quickly or quietly. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to be locked.

Ferrous, Montague, and the others look over the door. After some examination, Ferrous notes that there is a small stone plug protruding from the door frame that is resting on top of the door. If the door is opened, this plug will drop and may be the trigger for some kind of trap.

When moving carefully it is assumed that all party members are looking for traps. So I will generally be rolling for everyone.

Ferrous:
It looks like the hobgoblin was struck as he was going out from inside the structure.
Ferrous Grimgond wrote:
...wishing he had the bolt he just gave to Bruno.

If you want you can run back out and get it from him.

@ Thylla don't forget to add +1 to your temp HP as you have a d6 hit die.


Male Dwarven Veteran (Level 2) hp 21/27  || AC 3 || F11 A15 C12 D13 H6 W8 || THAC0 18 || Mv 20' || Infravision 60'

Montague any idea how to secure that plug so that it doesn't fall when opening this door? Ferrous points out the rigged stone plug.


Alphatian 2 | 11/12 hp | AC 8 | F16 A11 C15 D15 H12 W13 | Mv 40' | Detect/Read Magic 2-6
Spells:
Cantrip (3-6) | Sleep, Sleep, Binding

Zynazyr looks at the plug above the door. "I might be able to cast a minor spell to hold that in place if we need to," he says to the dwarf.

1 to 50 of 3,446 << first < prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Chronicles of Arcania: Gameplay All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002-2017 Paizo Inc.® | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours, Monday through Friday, 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM Pacific time.

Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, Starfinder, the Starfinder logo, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc. The Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Legends, Pathfinder Online, Starfinder Adventure Path, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.