Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Children of the Void (Inactive)

Game Master therealthom

part 2 of Second Darkness


1,451 to 1,500 of 1,756 << first < prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | next > last >>

Probably.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

"Let 'em vote. They'll vote in ol' Akron here and then we'll be set."


Male Human Diviner Wizard 6

"Maybe we should stay out of this." Lecian grabs the copper tube and readies to use it. "Hopefully, they settle this without bloodshed."


Akron shuffles his feet and looks down modestly. Outside a crowd starts to gather as men and women come out of the tents.


Akron looks at the party. "Makes sense that I should step into Clegg's shoes if possible. The next question is who's doing the talking right now?"


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

Tyrrol shrugs.

"I don't think it should be me; not unless you want a blood-bath..."


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

Lothan looks over at Mordecai, "How 'bout it, Mordecai? No one spins words the way you do, you know." He winks, grinning wryly.


(AC 19, hp 33 of 37) Human Cleric (Urgathoa) 6

Sorry for delay in posting, busy week!

Mordecai looks put out at having to talk to the filthy rabble, but puts on a somber face and cleans Clegg's wounds, talking care to get some of the unconscious man's blood on his hands and breastplate.

He steps from the tent, where the various thugs and ne'er do wells are no doubt gathering to discuss what little they can comprehend of their future.

"Gentlemen," he begins, trying not to make the word sound like mockery, "Clegg is stable, and I believe that the power of the goddess can prevent his transformation into a mindless beast."

"But for now, he is in no condition to lead this expedition. As he may recover shortly, it might be best to stick to whatever chain of command he has established, rather than run amok, and risk his wrath when he recovers, although that choice remains yours to make. I intend to do all in my power to keep him alive, as it would be in my own best interests to have one of the most powerful men in Riddleport look upon me favorably."

Mordecai pauses, before asking of the assembled men, "I would ask of you, it seems that Clegg was lured from this camp and beset upon by hostile forces. Did anyone among you see him depart earlier this evening, and was he with anyone, or behaving suspiciously, as if coerced or enchanted?"

Mordecai has come to suspect that the missing skymetal left with Clegg on his mysterious excursion, and wishes to subtly interrogate the men in the camp as to whether they saw him leave, and whether or not he was carrying something that might have held the missing skymetal, although he obviously won't ask that specific question, as he doesn't want to tip the men off that the skymetal they have been promised has gone missing...

Diplomacy check, +11 for a 21 if he can Take 10. Otherwise... 1d20 + 11 ⇒ (9) + 11 = 20


Sorry, RL's been acting up.

Scowls and mutterings vie with grins and rapt attention among the men gathered outside the tent. Kuva tilts his head consideringly. His two watch companions look at each other.

One of them speaks up, "Clegg's been slipping out most every night in the second watch. Goes alone and told us to keep our mouths shut."


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

Just poking the thread ;-)

Tyrrol nods.

"That does strike me as deeply suspicious... Why would he risk going off *alone* in hostile territory like that, every night?"

He then turns to the others.

"Perhaps we should see where he has been going?"


(AC 19, hp 33 of 37) Human Cleric (Urgathoa) 6
Tyrrol Radanavich wrote:
"Perhaps we should see where he has been going?"

Mordecai concurs, "Agreed."

It would be good to know where all the skymetal has gone, after all... he thinks.

"Perhaps Akron should remain here to keep an eye on Clegg's condition and make sure that he does not suffer a setback? I can give you some basic healer's instruction on how to keep him from slipping away." Mordecai offers, suppressing the urge to grin.


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

Tyrrol shrugs.

"I guess that seems like a reasonable idea; having him die whilst we are out searching would be inconvenient, to say the least..."


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

Lothan looks to Tyrrol, then back to the others, "Yeah... inconvenient." He states plainly, attempting to hide his sarcasm as best as possible.


Akron nods. "I can probably hold this place down while you search. Leave me Kuva and Samaritha and I'm sure we can keep the boys in line."

***

Akron pays strict attention while Mordecai shows him how to tend for Clegg.

***

If you're running to search for where Clegg's been you better level up. We're short-cutting a bunch of the go-fetch-it-in-the-service-of-Clegg portion of the adventure. (Which honestly is just prospecting and tentacle dogs and their zombies.) You're plunging into the heart of darkness now.


(AC 19, hp 33 of 37) Human Cleric (Urgathoa) 6
SD DM wrote:

Akron nods. "I can probably hold this place down while you search. Leave me Kuva and Samaritha and I'm sure we can keep the boys in line."

***

Akron pays strict attention while Mordecai shows him how to tend for Clegg.

The only thing Mordecai shows him, once the other men are gone, is how to keep Clegg unconscious without killing him. Him waking up would be... inconvenient. :)


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

Heh. Tyrrol would be happy to give a few pointers, too ;-)


One more time, If you're running to search for where Clegg's been you better level up.

All the cool kids have done it already!


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

Which would be me, bay-bee! Cool Hand Lothan. ;)


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

Done! :-)


(AC 19, hp 33 of 37) Human Cleric (Urgathoa) 6

Are we still rolling for hit points? If so; 1d8 ⇒ 6

Ooh, an above average roll! Four more levels of sixes and I'll be up to average hit points.

My dice are really, really encouraging Mordecai's plan on becoming undead someday...

Also, done.


So where to?


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

Tyrrol shrugs.

"We should probably return to the spot where we found Clegg, and then try to back-track from there... are the rest of you ready?"


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

"I'm ready. Let's move. The sooner the better."


Male Human Diviner Wizard 6

Before going to bed, Lecian sits in a corner and pulls out one of his tomes. Tensely, he opens the book and begins reading it. Lecian reads the spellbook with Sepia Snake Sigil cast on it.

Reflex: 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (13) + 5 = 18


Lecian wrote:

Before going to bed, Lecian sits in a corner and pulls out one of his tomes. Tensely, he opens the book and begins reading it. Lecian reads the spellbook with Sepia Snake Sigil cast on it.

Reflex: 1d20+5

Close. Very close.

Contents of the Sepia Snake Sigil spellbook.:

Five spells beyond your comprehension. (4th and 5th level)

All first level conjuration spells. Alarm, protection from good. Burning Hands. Floating disk. Magic weapon. Comprehend languages

Acid Arrow, Fog Cloud, Glitterdust, Summon Monster II, Summon Swarm, Web
Resist energy, hideous laughter, command undead,ghoul touch,bull's strength. see invisibility

Sepia Snake Sigil, phantom steed stinking cloud, dispel magic, protection from energy, lightning bolt, major image, greater magic weapon, slow, arcane sight


Making sure I'm not late.

Atop the cliff where you fought Clegg, the view out to sea is quite fine. Below the small cleft where he stepped up is a narrow ledge which slopes downward toward the beach as it traverses the face of the cliff. The cliff is slightly concave here and the top overhangs the upper portion of the cliff, so you can't see how far the ledge extends or where it terminates from here.


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

Tyrrol shrugs as he regards the narrow ledge.

"Well, Clegg clearly went along here, so there *has* to be something down there..."

He then begins to gingerly edge his way along the ledge.


(AC 19, hp 33 of 37) Human Cleric (Urgathoa) 6

Mordecai offers the blessing, such as it is, of the Pallid Princess to those who brave the edge.

guidance, +1 to a single save, ability check, skill check or attack roll within 1 minute

"Some sort of rope, if anyone has one, might be a good idea..." he offers.


Tyrrol finds the ledge is wide enough to walk along safely if he stays pressed against the cliff face.

We're talking a DC 10 balance or climb check. For now. Marching order, other precautions?


(AC 19, hp 33 of 37) Human Cleric (Urgathoa) 6

"This seems a nigh-impossible route by which a man struggling with purloined paymaster's chest full of precious skymetal would travel..." Mordecai observes quietly, keeping his voice low, in case there are unseen eavesdroppers behind them. "Perhaps he lowered the stolen materials to some hiding place below this ledge?"

Perception check, peering over the edge. 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (10) + 12 = 22


A man carrying a fully-loaded chest would indeed be inconvenienced on this ledge, but navigating the portion you can see would not be impossible. Of course a chest was in CLegg's tent.

Marching order? Other precautions?


OK then

Tyrrol begins to work his way along the ledge.

Who's next?


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

Lothan will be next.


(AC 19, hp 33 of 37) Human Cleric (Urgathoa) 6

Mordecai will follow, refreshing his incantations periodically, and keeping an eye behind to watch for Lecian.

Guidance refresh, if needed. +1 to next check within 1 minute.


Lecian slips over the edge behind Mordecai.

The party inches along the the ledge.

Rounding a bend, Tyrrol hears an unwelcome sound, the rattle of an angry and disturbed snake. Looking down he sees a green rattler with a faint yellow speckling near his right foot. The coiled snake has raised its tail in warning and its head preparatory to strike.

The ledge is wide enough that the snake can fight with ease. People on the other hand will need to make a climb or acrobatics check if they engage in combat. There are real risks to a fumble on an attack roll too.


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

Initiative: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (19) + 1 = 20, or 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (4) + 1 = 5.

I will take the 20 ;-)

With a shrug, Tyrrol leans against the wall...

Climb: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (6) + 9 = 15.

...draws his flail...

+1 Consecrated Ancestral Heavy Flail: 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (20) + 12 = 32, for 1d10 + 19 ⇒ (3) + 19 = 22 Magical Bludgeoning damage.

...and crushes the snake.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

"Well now, that was easy. Man I'm glad you're on my side, buddy. That snake didn't stand a chance."

Talk about not wasting any time! "Get out of my way, bug." !SMASH! Too awesome. :)


Snake INit 1d20 + 5 ⇒ (17) + 5 = 22

Tyrrol's reflexes are exemplary, but the snake is quicker still. It lunges at him....

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9 ... damage 1d4 - 1 ⇒ (1) - 1 = 0

Its fangs skim harmlessly over his armor.

THEN, he smashes it.

:-)

Beyond the snake a small rock slide has blocked the ledge. The are clear indications of passage across the slide.

It's a DC 14 climb check to successfully pass the slide.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

Climb: 1d20 + 8 ⇒ (16) + 8 = 24


(AC 19, hp 33 of 37) Human Cleric (Urgathoa) 6

Mordecai calls upon Urgathoa's grace, once again.

guidance for all he can reach (self, Lecian, Lothan), +1 to their climb check.

"Would you be so kind as to give me a hand over, Lothan? I am quite unused to this sort of excursion..."

Hoping for an Aid Other check!

1d20 + 2 ⇒ (7) + 2 = 9

Not that it will help...


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

@SD DM: Heh. Fair enough ;-)

Tyrrol trudges forward...

Climb: 1d20 + 9 ⇒ (12) + 9 = 21.

...and effortlessly scrambles over the blockage.


That rope plan is looking pretty good now. Too bad no one took Mordecai up on it.

Lecian also helps Mordecai over the slide.

Aid another: 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

Now that I do the math -- UNfortunately even if Lothan helps Mordecai still doesn't make it.

The gravel under his feet gives and Mordecai starts to slide down the cliff face.

I'll give you allow one DC 18 reflex check from Lothan, Morty, or Lecian to avoid imminent disaster.


(AC 19, hp 33 of 37) Human Cleric (Urgathoa) 6

Mordecai flails about, attempting to regain his balance, muttering a blasphemous Osirioni profanity.

Reflex save 1d20 + 3 ⇒ (17) + 3 = 20

He closes his eyes for a moment in reflection, as his heart hammers in his chest. 'Beloved goddess, thank you for reminding me that I am ever but a single step away from your white kingdom.'


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

Tyrrol pulls out his pocket watch, flips open the lid, glances at it, glances at Mordecai, glances back at the watch, and then snaps it shut again with a resounding click.

"It is not yet your time to die."


(AC 19, hp 33 of 37) Human Cleric (Urgathoa) 6

Mordecai looks less amused than he normally does by Tyrrol's fatalism, but nods, "Agreed."


A diminishing stream of pebbles trickles from the edge of the ledge and drops 50 feet to the stony beach below.

Tyrrol leads on until the ledge simply runs out.

While usually I might coyly leave it at that, this time I'll ask for perception checks.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

Perception: 1d20 + 16 + 2 ⇒ (13) + 16 + 2 = 31 +2 for favored terrain. Just disregard if it doesn't apply.


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

Perception: 1d20 + 13 ⇒ (8) + 13 = 21.


(AC 19, hp 33 of 37) Human Cleric (Urgathoa) 6

My, we are a perceptive bunch...

Perception 1d20 + 12 ⇒ (5) + 12 = 17

Well, not Mordecai, obviously, he's still trying to figure out how dead he'd be if he'd fallen...


Lothan, I'm going to rule that a pretty bare rocky cliff doesn't qualify as forest. Your normal mod and roll are more than good enough anyway. Lecian can't roll high enough with a -2 mod.

Tyrrol and Lothan both spot the thin cracks outlining a cunningly concealed door hidden in the face of the cliff. The sharp-eyed ranger also spots a crevice, mostly hidden by a fold in the rock, that may lead inside the cliff face.

The crevice lies 15' beyond the end of the ledge. It will require a DC 16 climb check to get out there and scope it out.

1,451 to 1,500 of 1,756 << first < prev | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Children of the Void All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.