Paizo Top Nav Branding
  • Hello, Guest! |
  • Sign In |
  • My Account |
  • Shopping Cart |
  • Help/FAQ
General Discussion Recruitment Play-by-Post Play-by-Post Discussion
Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Pathfinder Society

Pathfinder Beginner Box

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

Pathfinder Comics

Pathfinder Legends

RPG Superstar 2015

Children of the Void (Inactive)

Game Master therealthom

part 2 of Second Darkness


751 to 800 of 1,756 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>
The Exchange

Male Halfing Barbarian 4

Seeing everyone else on or swimming towards shore, the little halfling is clearly uncomfortable. He delicately puts a toe in the water but retreats quickly, shuddering. "Abadar take these wet-lands," he mutters darkly before he steels his reserve and dives in.

Swim check: 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (4) + 2 = 6

A lifetime of avoiding water larger than a waterskin quickly takes it's toll on the little halfling, as the waves take him.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

Looking around, "Has anyone seen Kuva?"


I'm sure Kuva's not going down quietly.

There's a splashing just short of the tower as Kuva flounders.

Alerted by Lothan, Samarintha looks around . "There he is!"

Plan to save Kuva?


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

Turning and seeing Kuva having a difficult time, "Oh crap. Hang in there little buddy! I'm on my way!" Lothan hollers at him as he dives in, yet the tone of his voice is quite calm as he's not too worried about the mighty Kuva.

Take 10 = 17

Swim: (If take 10 is not possible) 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (16) + 7 = 23


(AC 19, hp 33 of 37) Human Cleric (Urgathoa) 6

Mordecai is too familiar with the dangerous creatures that lurk below the murky waters of this region to feel comfortable wading back out, so he stands in the shallows, ready to call upon his magic to send his morningstar to punish any fishy beast that attempts to devour his companions.

Ready action to use Hand of the Acolyte to smack anything attempting to eat those in the deeper water.

The tentacle-dogs burn in water. The water is filled with man-eating swamp barracuda and reefclaws. What a delicious predicament. Would that I could sprout wings and rise above them both!


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

Tyrrol watches dispassionately from the shore, as Lothan attempts to 'rescue' Kuva...


Lothan easily reaches Kuva and grabs the sinking warrior by the shoulder. He hauls the halfling back to the surface and they slowly return to shore.

[ooc] Good. I din't want to drown anybody. I do want to see how you propose to get inside Smarintha's room.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

As they make it back to shore, Lothan can't help but smile at the fiery warrior. "Kuva buddy, I think it's best you keep your feet on solid ground. It seems to fit your 'dancing' style much better." He pats him on the back.

Turning his attention back to Samaritha, "Okay, um, what was we talking about?" He stops a moment to think. It then comes to him. "Oh yeah! The trapdoor that leads to the things you need. Okay, okay, um, as I was saying just a bit ago, can you tell me exactly where it is located? And is this door locked? And basically anything else that might help us retrieve these items."

The Exchange

Male Halfing Barbarian 4

Kuva gives Lothan a withering glare, displacing his anger from his embarrassing ordeal onto his fellow warrior. He spits a mouthful of the salt water onto the shore.

"Water belongs in a waterskin, to quench parched throats and give a warrior life for the dance of blades. This much water, defiled by the touch of salt, is clearly a monstrosity created by a dark god. We are lucky to have escaped." His piece said, the little halfling retreats up the shore a little ways, emptying his pack of water in what could best be described as a 'sulk.'


Samarintha pushes a strand of hair back from her face.

"It's the small room off the second floor landing. There's no lock on the door. The tricky part will be getting inside. The door will be about 4 feet over our heads while we're swimming. Then we just have to get everything out while keeping it all dry. But my spellbook and gear is in there. And four weeks worth of food and other supplies."


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

Tyrrol raises an eyebrow at Kuva's little sulk, but otherwise refrains from commenting.

To Samarintha, he nods.

"All of those would be useful. Survival is, after all, the main objective here..."


Male Human Diviner Wizard 6

Is there a window opening to the second floor?


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

"Well, okay. That should be easy. Um, can anyone here fly?" He asks as if it's that simple. "Anybody."


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

"Well, I cannot fly, but I am sure that if we really tried, between the two of us, we could toss Kuva onto the top of the tower...", Tyrrol suggests helpfully.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

Lothan ponders that a moment as he rubs his chin, then waves his finger at him. "You know, that's not half bad." Liking the idea until he remembers Kuva's swimming issues. "Oh dangit! Yeah, that's probably not gonna work. We can't forget about the water. You gotta admit, water is not Kuva's best friend. Man I really thought we might of had something there. Good idea though, Tyrrol ol' buddy." He admits.


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

"Ah, but I have already thought of that; we just need to tie a rope to him, so that we can haul him back when he is done! True, he will get a little wet, but at least he will not have to swim..."


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

Lothan then ponders that. "Not bad, not bad at all. You know, sometimes you surprise me Tyrrol. I never really saw you as a planny type guy, but hey, shows what I know. Nice going bud." He smiles. "I just knew that you was an ol' softy!" He tells him as he gives him a friendly punch on the arm. Then turning to Kuva, "How about it Kuva? Sounds pretty good to me and there is no swimming involved. Whaddaya say?"

The Exchange

Male Halfing Barbarian 4

Kuva's look could best be described as 'murderous.' He stands from where he'd been sitting, shaking his head. "No throwing. Simply the rope, to haul me out of the water should it's dark intent manifest to drown me again." He heads to the edge of the water, clearly looking deep inside himself for the bravery to go swimming yet again.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

Lothan holds his hands out, "Alright, alright. NO. THROWING. Got it. Thanks for doing this for us, little buddy. And don't you worry, what could possibly go wrong?" He says with a boatload of confidence.


Tonight you're lucky. I'm doing copmutationally intensive work that leaves me with time to catfch up.

Waves lap the rocky shore and the murk stirred up by the avalanche slowly begins to settle.

Samarintha offers to help. She's willing to swim out to the tower too.

To answer Lecian's question. Yes there is a window into the small second storey store room as well as the window onto the main through which Tyrrol and Samarintha escaped the tower.


(AC 19, hp 33 of 37) Human Cleric (Urgathoa) 6

"These waters are filled with danger," Mordecai says unecessarily. "Those of us who are not swimming should ready missile weapons or spells, and those swimming should remain tied to us, if anyone has a rope in their pack."

Shrugging his sodden and half-empty pack, he adds, "Which I did not think to bring..."

Mordecai was never a boy scout.


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

Tyrrol starts ticking possibilities off on his fingers.

"1)Hostile sea creatures - probably sharks or reefclaws.
2)Another avalanche could occur, burying either, or both of, us and/or the tower.
3)The wreckage could continue to settle, blocking escape points from the tower.
4)More of the creatures could attack those of us on land, rendering us unable to render Kuva any assistance.
5)More prosaically, the rope could break, leaving him stranded.

I dare say that there is plenty that *could* go wrong..."

He then glances at his watch for a few moments, before continuing.

"However, I am fairly certain that now is not your time to die, so you should be fine..."

Tyrrol rummages around in his pack, and produces 100' of silk rope.

"This should help!"


Samarintha checks her dagger in its sheath to make sure it's both held securely, and drawable. She looks at Kuva, "ready?".

So is the plan for Sam and Kuva to swim out alone?


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

Lothan waves off Tyrrol, and his normally doom and gloom self. Speaking to Samaritha and Kuva, "Oh don't listen to that ol' Tyrrol. He just likes to shout out everything that can go wrong. That's fun for him you know. You can actually see him smiling if you look hard enough." He stares trying to see if what he said was true. Shrugging as he's unable to tell, "Anyway, I'm going with you to make sure neither of you drown. If y'all are ready, let's do this." Lothan will then enter the water behind the others.

Swim: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (5) + 7 = 12

If taking 10 is possible, it's probably best I do that. Which would be a 17.


Just swimming out and back it's OK to take 10.

Samarintha is quick to strike out for the tower, after all her most precious possession (spellbook) is out there.

Swim 1d20 - 1 ⇒ (12) - 1 = 11 v DC 12

She gets a face full of foamy chop. Some of it goes down the wrong way. She begins to splutter and lose her form. Her head disappears under the surface.


(AC 19, hp 33 of 37) Human Cleric (Urgathoa) 6

Mordecai casts guidance on Kuva, before the small warrior sets forth.

+1 to next check within 1 minute, which will likely be a Swim check.

"You may wish to toss a line to Lothan's pretty girlfriend, Tyrrol, she seems to be floundering." he says dryly, showing no inclination to swim out to save her.

Mordecai is still pissy that he expended healing on the baby cyphermages, and the ingrates died anyway. The nerve of them! Don't they realize how much their horrible deaths have inconvenienced him?


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

Oh crap! Seeing Samaritha sink, Lothan immediately dives in after her.

Swim 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (13) + 7 = 20


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

Tyrrol shrugs.

"Lothan appears to have things well under control; I would not want to usurp his 'glory'..."


Male Human Diviner Wizard 6

Lecian cringes at the non-chalant conversation between Mordecai and Tyrrol, then lets out a sigh before jumping back into the sea water and swimming to the tower.

Diviner's Fortune assisted swim: 13


Lothan reaches down and hauls Samarintha back to the surface. SHe breaks through gasping and splashing.

The four of you reach the tower. So, there's a window into the main part of the second floor within fairly easy reach. (DC 12 climb), a window into the small room that is on top of the tower as it now lies. (DC 16 Climb) , a route through the broken 3rd floor (DC 12 Swim check to cross from 3rd to second floor, or a route through the first floor . (DC 12 Swim check to get to first floor, and a DC 12 Swim check to get from first to second) Or you can surprise me.


(AC 19, hp 33 of 37) Human Cleric (Urgathoa) 6

Mordecai raises an eyebrow as Lecian leaps in to offer his assistance.

"Didn't see that coming."

He takes a drink from his waterskin, and then spits it out, washing out the taste of saltwater laced with dissolving tentacle-headed dog-thing.

"It's always the quiet ones that surprise you." he adds, wiping his lips, and silently regretting giving the rest of the wine to the ship captain as a parting gift.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

"You alright?" He asks Samaritha as she collects herself. "Hang on to me, darlin'. I'll keep you afloat." Looking around at their options, "Alright, let's swim to the first floor and work our way to the second from there. It seems to be the best course. I'm a bit better at swimming than I am climbing."

I choose the last one. The DC 12 to get to first floor, and the same to get to the second.

Swim: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (17) + 7 = 24 To First floor

Swim: 1d20 + 7 ⇒ (7) + 7 = 14 First to Second floor


Male Human Diviner Wizard 6

Lecian climbs through the second floor window.

Climb: 1d20 + 1 ⇒ (16) + 1 = 17


Samarintha agrees to go with Lecian.

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (20) - 1 = 19

1d20 - 1 ⇒ (15) - 1 = 14

Buoyed by his confidenceshe makes it into the second floor. Together they tread water and look up at the door in what is now the ceiling.

Lecian pulls himself up the curving stone outer face of the tower.

{ooc]Lecian, Which window are you going for? The one into the large second floor landing room where Lothan and Sam are or straight into the small second floor room? [/ooc]

Kuva 1d20 + 2 ⇒ (15) + 2 = 17 surprises himself by swimming out to the tower with ease. He opts to climb rather than swim the next leg 1d20 + 4 ⇒ (19) + 4 = 23 and follows Lecian.

Kuva you may change or add to those actions if you post before the others.


Male Human Diviner Wizard 6

Lecian goes into the large room.

The Exchange

Male Halfing Barbarian 4

Those actions suit me just fine! Thanks for the DMPC-ing - the hurricane had me fairly well out of commission.

Dripping with saltwater, Kuva pulls himself out of the water, nimbly scampering along. "See?," he says, pointing vaguely back the way they came. "Even magicks and prayers fail against the beast of the dark water." He unties the rope about him, anchoring it with a loose stone.


Just in case I wasn't clear -- the large room on the second floor is half full of water. As shown in this cross-section of the second floor. Tower diameter at the second floor is roughly 20'. Access to third and first floor is at the bottom. Light orange areas are windows; brown, the door into the small room.

So, for Lecian to go into the large room, he'll have to start swimming again. Likewise if Kuva follows.


(AC 19, hp 33 of 37) Human Cleric (Urgathoa) 6

Back on the shore, Mordecai makes a futile attempt at wringing out his shirt while nattering on about life at the Golden Goblin;

..."and then she hikes up her skirt a little bit, to reveal a pox-marked expanse of thigh the color of a dead fish, and says, 'maybe we could work something out' before I had the bouncer throw her, and her wastrel spawn, out the door."

"Seriously, the things people will do to get out of a gambling debt. His own mother!"


Male Human Diviner Wizard 6

Alright, I'll change my actions. Lecian goes into the smaller room.


Lecian, and presumably Kuva, slip into the small room from above. Inside they find a half-dozen backpacks filled with supplies. There is a door in the "floor".

In the large room below, Samarintha and Lothan tread water and look up at the door in the "ceiling".

I was going to make you try to get into the room from below. I thought it would be a cool challenge, but when Lecian asked about windows into the small room I had to fess up. ~sigh~


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8

Can we see Kuva or Lecian from where we are at?


Not until the door is open.

The Exchange

Male Halfing Barbarian 4

Kuva will investigate the floor-door, having an over-inflated sense of self-worth and a maldeveloped survival instinct.

AFK for the weekend - have a happy Labor Day to all you state-siders!


Male 'Half-Elf' Fighter (Two-Handed) 4 / Oracle (Battle) 1 / Barbarian (Urban) 1 / Ranger (Trophy Hunter) 1

Tyrrol continues to watch impassively from the beach, waiting to see if his compatriots drown themselves, or get eaten by sea monsters....


Male Human Diviner Wizard 6

Lecian opens the door and looks down at Samarintha and Lothan. "Hey, cyphermage, are these packs safe to touch?"


Kuva Azul wrote:

Kuva will investigate the floor-door, having an over-inflated sense of self-worth and a maldeveloped survival instinct.

AFK for the weekend - have a happy Labor Day to all you state-siders!

The door is only dangerous if you fall through.

Samarintha looks back up at Lecian, "Yeah. They're safe." Then she looks at Lothan, "Why did I follow you this way?"


Male Human Diviner Wizard 6

Lecian walks away from the door towards the backpacks. He lifts and tests the weight of each pack, then opens and goes through all of them, taking stock of their contents.


Male Half-Elf Ranger 8
SD DM wrote:
Samarintha looks back up at Lecian, "Yeah. They're safe." Then she looks at Lothan, "Why did I follow you this way?"

He looks to her, thinks about it a moment, and can only shrug.


Samarintha calls out, "Hey, Lecian. Can we get a hand up?"

There're seven backpacks in the small room. They are stuffed with food and mundane equipment. There is also a collection of digging tools, a bag of heavy-duty specimen jars, and camping gear.

The food is all trail rations. There's two bottles of wine. 24 vials of oil and three lanterns. Two or three copies of all mundane equipment. If you forgot anything ordinary, now's the time to pick it up.


Male Human Diviner Wizard 6

Lecian takes a length of rope out of one of packs and drops one end toward Samarintha and Lothan below. "Kuva, help me pull them up."

751 to 800 of 1,756 << first < prev | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | next > last >>
Paizo / Messageboards / Paizo Community / Online Campaigns / Play-by-Post / Children of the Void All Messageboards

Want to post a reply? Sign in.

©2002–2014 Paizo Inc.®. Need help? Email customer.service@paizo.com or call 425-250-0800 during our business hours: Monday–Friday, 10 AM–5 PM Pacific Time. View our privacy policy. Paizo Inc., Paizo, the Paizo golem logo, Pathfinder, the Pathfinder logo, Pathfinder Society, GameMastery, and Planet Stories are registered trademarks of Paizo Inc., and Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, Pathfinder Campaign Setting, Pathfinder Adventure Path, Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, Pathfinder Player Companion, Pathfinder Modules, Pathfinder Tales, Pathfinder Battles, Pathfinder Online, PaizoCon, RPG Superstar, The Golem's Got It, Titanic Games, the Titanic logo, and the Planet Stories planet logo are trademarks of Paizo Inc. Dungeons & Dragons, Dragon, Dungeon, and Polyhedron are registered trademarks of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and have been used by Paizo Inc. under license. Most product names are trademarks owned or used under license by the companies that publish those products; use of such names without mention of trademark status should not be construed as a challenge to such status.